• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

1 minute ago, TheDragon said:

Apivia headed out again already?

Staying out up to the others arriving, due to the tide, and also because the boats will enter the harbour in the official win order early tomorrow morning.

(not sure if the crew on it will circle around or moore, most probably circle around)

50 minutes ago, Varan said:

So if Boris' boat starts taking on water. JLC picks him up, redress is applied,... oh nevermind, just dreaming.

you will see, if le cam fish him up, le cam would earn an other 15h bonus and will win over all

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Staying out up to the others arriving, due to the tide, and also because the boats will enter the harbour in the official win order early tomorrow morning.

(not sure if the crew on it will circle around or moore, most probably circle around)

Too rough to try and sit in one spot.  Better to keep moving.

15 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Trying to make sense of the data from Boris.

Bobstay has little tension, so bowsprit likely damaged in collision. Tension on J2 instead holding up mast? Surprisingly equal but low tension on both outriggers, amazed the starboard one is still there if the starboard foil is damaged. 

Then on runners the starboard is slack, broken?

And nothing on either foil, presumably whole sensor system for them broken?

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 4.16.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 4.19.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 4.19.56 PM.png

Damage is on the port foil, not starboard, according to the early reports in the German TV livestream 

1 hour ago, JeronimoII said:

At 1950hrs UTC this evening while racing in third place, some 90 miles from the Vendée Globe finish line off Les Sables d’Olonne German skipper Boris Herrmann (Seaexplorer-Yacht Club de Monaco) was in collision with a fishing boat. He reports damage to his starboard foil and some other damage but he is unharmed and has secured the boat and is proceeding towards the finish line at reduced speed.

Starboard foil here

16 minutes ago, yl75 said:

They said so (that they were adding some stress factor) in one of the TV channel (l'équipe TV I think), but in fact the only thing they were interested in this channel was to prop up a controversy around it, with totally non sailers related commentators giving their point of view ... So not even sure it is the case.

It would be very difficult to hand out "stress redress" fairly. In a sense it would be as stressful for those not attending the search, knowing that there is a friend in an emergency and there is nothing they can do. 

Just gutted for Boris. 

I’m not gonna lie- I don’t know if I had a ‘favorite’ this go around (because @Haji wasn’t in it!) but the level of competition, the data available, the characters involved, the boats, the... everything... just made this really enjoyable this year- especially THIS year... when probably more than a few of us needed it...

So, congrats to ALL competitors- congrats to Charlie- get it home safe Boris- watch out for fishing boats Yannick- keep sailing Sam (awesome!)... just too many great stories!

And, finally, all y’all that know far more about ocean racing than I do - thanks for your polar/routing/speculation/weather/foiling information the whole time... it was fantastic to read and I, for one, really appreciated it...

• Like 9
25 minutes ago, jonas a said:

It would be very difficult to hand out "stress redress" fairly. In a sense it would be as stressful for those not attending the search, knowing that there is a friend in an emergency and there is nothing they can do. 

But in fact they indeed  do "add in" some fatigue and stress factors aside from the pure routing calculations :

"On a demandé à la direction de course de fournir le scénario de ce qui s'est vraiment passé sur l'eau. Il a fallu trouver le temps pendant lequel ces bateaux ont été hors-course. De là on a fait une première estimation du temps. On doit aussi prendre en compte la fatigue, le stress, ce qui s'est passé sur l'eau. On fait une addition et on obtient les résultats communiqués aujourd'hui (mercredi)", a détaillé Georges Priol.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sports/voile/vendee-globe/vendee-globe-le-skipper-jean-le-cam-est-bonifie-de-16-heures-pour-avoir-sauve-kevin-escoffier_4221949.html

Would be nice to know whether this is really a minimal percentage of the total bonification times or not.

• Like 1

Yannick still coming in hot at 19 kts with 87.3 miles to go (at 23:00)

With 96 nautical miles to the finish line at 2230hrs UTC Yannick Bestaven has to cross the finish line before 0550hrs 47mins UTC if he is to better Charlie Dalin's elapsed time of 80d 06h 15m 47s. Bestaven is making 18kts and needs to average 13,5kts. So things are looking good for Bestaven

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/21993/news-update-bestaven-looking-good

• Like 1

Really interesting race. Between the latest generation foils and the more chaotic weather for the first 2/3 of the race, the cards got reshuffled. Then for Boris to clip a fishing vessel within 90 miles of the finish.

Congratulations, to Charlie, Louis, Thomas and Yannick. Hopefully, Boris gets in to salvage a podium spot. But, more importantly safely. 

4 minutes ago, stief said:

Feed still up at https://youtu.be/ZwLikklVVP4 waiting for Louis. Haven't heard who will be commenting 

It will still be Alec and Dee, maybe Will. Andi is busy doing all the English language writing that goes out.  He really deserves a medal for essentially being the international arm of the VG media.

• Like 7
38 minutes ago, maxfunner said:

No but he did fix something according to the malizia dashboard

2021-01-27 23_52_42-Malizia public dashboard - Grafana.png

Not anymore

Hard to understand why Boris persists slowly on same course, why not soak off downwind if only able to do 6 knots? Ruyant and Bestaven will cross cleanly head of him.

19 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Dalin press conference (english live translation):

What a shit show. Shut the fuck up and let us hear from, Charlie.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Not anymore

I hope at some point Boris explains what’s happened - I’m guessing he’s working his ass off trying to find some way to get a bit of speed back. I’d love to understand what’s behind the data - like this big increase in outrigger load just now:

AA771085-0D6D-46A2-8E70-E5C642D2F4D1.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Potter said:

It will still be Alec and Dee, maybe Will. Andi is busy doing all the English language writing that goes out.  He really deserves a medal for essentially being the international arm of the VG media.

Agree. This edition he has really been doing well. Last edition he seemed, . . . tired. This one he really seems to enjoy how well his work has paid off lining up interesting guests that gave insight into the teams behind the skippers.  Impressed he was comfortable bantering with Dumard, Caraes,  Mermod and other "big wigs". And even though he hit my cringe bone with the 'feelings' occasionally, he wasn't afraid to bring up good points about the 'social'  and environment issues.

(was most disappointed with Mark Turner, and that the VG don't give bylines to the writers, but I'm rambling).

• Like 1

I was chided earlier for suggesting the commentators needed to let us know about Boris. Now I'm amazed that Will is not giving us any details about his damage, just generalities.

5 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Hard to understand why Boris persists slowly on same course, why not soak off downwind if only able to do 6 knots? Ruyant and Bestaven will cross cleanly head of him.

I wondered this somewhere upthread. 

Best case scenario, he reckons he can still go full chat on starboard and this painful crawl north, followed by a gybe and fast leg to the finish is overall quicker. Dunno though, we’ll see...

2 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

I was chided earlier for suggesting the commentators needed to let us know about Boris. Now I'm amazed that Will is not giving us any details about his damage, just generalities.

? (I missed that . . . have to go back and check later it wasn't inadvertently me. Apologies just in case)

7 minutes ago, stief said:

Good point from Dee: Louis is making up a 930 nm deficit.

No matter what others say here, he must rue being over at the start and copping a five hour penalty, not the brightest move.

• Like 1
Just now, TheDragon said:

No matter what others say here, he must rue being over at the start and copping a five hour penalty, not the brightest move.

No time to check, but somewhere he blew it off, saying he had to stop anyway for some repairs, so it made no difference.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

I don't think it made a huge difference. It's not like you simply subtract it now.

1 minute ago, ant1 said:

Dee is a really good commentator... imho anyway

Makes a huge difference when she's done the time and walked the talk.

• Like 2
Just now, TheDragon said:

I'm amazed Will is still commentating. Is his role in Boris team that minor?

Agree, As co-skipper, guess maybe he's learned to accept the ups and downs, and as long as all are safe, just live, learn, and move on?

5 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Yannick may come in earlier than expected, 67nm to the line going 20kts

And Thomas Ruyant has still one more jibe to do. If you trace his route with the jibe, it is about 70 nm...They may get really-really-really close on the finish line. Yannick is sending it!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, stief said:

Agree, As co-skipper, guess maybe he's learned to accept the ups and downs, and as long as all are safe, just live, learn, and move on?

When Borris' technical manager gave an interview for Andi yesterday, he described the technical team as including four people and Will was not one of them. 

Will also may have signed a deal to do the commentary and can't back out.  Malizia would have supported that as it provides them additional visibility.  Now, it may be coming back to bite both in the butt.  

I am don't understand why Borris is sailing this hot.  I'm not sure what wx routing would suggest this as optimal.  At the same time, I don't know what repair would be easier in this condition vs cracking off a bit.  Borris is definitely working on the boat (see below).  But I have never sailed an IMOCA- so what do I know?

image.thumb.png.735d093cb33d9a130067c0a607080462.png

• Like 1

On the French live Seb Josse said Boris has decided to arrive tomorrow, not sure why, need to fix some things (rigging) in daylight I guess.

And regarding Charlie's press conference, it was really quite interesting, quite amazing somehow that they impose that without him even having a shower apparently and why not doing it tomorrow.

He looked really tired ! (But somehow this makes him answers very honestly somehow)

Good summary of Louis 80d 10h 25min 12s race (more details on the VG site)

After climbing the mast three times while drifting in the protective lee of the remote island, Burton returned to race mode with his boat at 100% but in 11th with a deficit of 938 miles on the then leader Bestaven and around 500 miles on the main peloton. By Cape Horn he was sixth and had reduced his deficit to 640 miles to Bestaven and by Salvador de Bahia he was second again, 20 miles from the lead.

Burton improves on his seventh place in the last Vendée Globe with a remarkable performance considering that he runs a lean, efficient operation from his home town of Saint Malo with a small team, eschewing the training ‘poles’ and the circuit races, in favour of training on his own. Like Bestaven, he was not picked by any of the pre-race tipsters as a potential podium finisher.

He has had the passionate backing of French office suppliers Bureau Vallée for ten years. One of their best decisions was securing the 2016-17 winning boat before it had crossed the finish line, to which they have made few upgrades beyond some new sails and electronics.

If he has earned a reputation for his ability to push hard and fast for long periods there is a maverick side. He memorably jumped the start gun – for which he took a 5hr sin bin penalty  - took an additional 1hr for failing to send a sealing image correctly, and strayed for 20 minutes into the Antarctic Exclusion Zone for which there was no penalty because he returned back to his entry point. But that should not mask the fact that he has sailed a smart strategic race.

(was trying to recall the other two penalties). Makes his VG even more remarkable

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, sunol said:

Very dignified.  Hope Boris can get a jury rigged shroud in place ASAP, and carry on to the finish.

10 minutes ago, sunol said:

Fair winds to the finish!  Come on Boris!  

He is calm and composed, he will find a solution to his rig issue.

Very poised. Full ownership:  "I was sleeping". Impressive accountability and pragmatism: "Take a deep breath and figure out how to solve this problem."

Wish we had such strength of character in our political  leaders. He even  apologizes to all his supporter for letting them down.  I for one would like to assure him no apology necessary. 

• Like 6

Any else noticed that Yannick's position hasn't been updated for 20 minutes or more, while Thomas is updating at 5 minute intervals as it should?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Any else noticed that Yannick's position hasn't been updated for 20 minutes or more, while Thomas is updating at 5 minute intervals as it should?

Finally updated and showing both 44.8 miles away with speed differentials and a gybe in the way for TR

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jacrider said:

Fair winds to the finish!  Come on Boris!  

He is calm and composed, he will find a solution to his rig issue.

Looks possible fishing boat did not have AIS on (which is illegal). Also amazed that all fishing boats in the Bay of Biscay were not alerted about fast moving sailing boats in there area. 

Or maybe it was a French trawler sabotaging the first non-French potential winner!

Catching up with Charlie arrival, (yeah, there was some work going on today...)

A few nuggets:

The two worst moments:

- when he broke his port foil support spacer, of course. He really thought he was going to abandon in Australia or New Zealand.

- another event he did not talk about earlier. he blew the tack of one of his genaker in 25 knots of wind and got the sail flying off. As he said: "I managed to get the sail back on board and down. I don't know how I did it. But for sure, after the foil issue and that, I felt invicible!"

As noted by Pascal Bidegorry, who is making the comments on the French live, with Sébastien Josse, when Charlie hugs his family, his first comment is: "it's great you could make it!" Like they could have had something more important to do that be here for him!!!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, sunol said:

Boris Hermann video

Respect for doing such a video in such circumstances to reassure everyone, collected, lucid, and efficient... good to see he's safe (but understandably incredibly disappointed), collision at full speed with a fishing boat could have gone way worse...

Stretching things a little he "may" still catch 3rd place if his other foil works wonders when he'll gybe and the rig can take it, but more realistically at worst considering his current speed I guess he'll come in 5th, nothing to sneer at in a VG, but yes, extremely disappointing considering how he was positioned when it happened.

He's so close to the line he might as well make it or break it, if it breaks he's close to shore and rescue boats, I don't know...

On the bright side if something like that is going to happen, better it be right before the line,  it may be harder morally but at least you get to finish the race (may have been a retirement if it happened out on the oceans) and in a very respectable place in this case.

6 minutes ago, dolphinmaster said:

Finally updated and showing both 44.8 miles away with speed differentials and a gybe in the way for TR

Nope, got it wrong, their time stamps are 5 mins off, weird and fitting for IT at VG

Yannick is fully sending it right now.  I'll bet he's even pulled up his hydro generators...;-)

• Like 5

So if I understand Boris' situation correctly...

-No bowsprit, so no big headsails.  Currently sailing under full main and no headsail.

-Starboard foil damaged.  Extent of damage unclear.

-Starboard upper shroud broken.  Can rig an emergency replacement to get to the finish, but hasn't done so yet and hasn't had time with the team yet to define a precise plan.

-Can't gybe without losing the rig.

-Seems to have accepted that he's in "get it to the finish with the rig up" mode, not racing for positions anymore.  Probably went from 2 or 3 to 7, 8, 9, or worse, but has accepted that, at least in the moment.

-And yet made time to produce and send that video.  May well have also done one in French and one in German.  He clearly cares about his fans and wanted to respond to their concerns.

It'll get tricky soon if he can't get that emergency shroud sorted in time to gybe before he gets close to the coast.  I got the sense he might not even be planning to try to repair it until dawn, but if so, he may hit shore by then.  I guess when he talked about reducing the main, maybe it was to slow his progress toward the lee shore?  Or maybe just to slow down the boat to make repair work in the dark less dangerous?  Aside from the obvious risk of getting too close to a lee shore, if he overshoots the layline by a lot, he'll have to sail a hot angle to finish, which would load up his emergency shroud more...  Several difficult variables involved.  At least he looks to be in good shape physically, and his eyes don't look too horrible sleep deprived.

• Like 2

Talk about picking a lay line from far out.  Yannick has really nailed it

• Like 8
14 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

So if I understand Boris' situation correctly...

-No bowsprit, so no big headsails.  Currently sailing under full main and no headsail.

-Starboard foil damaged.  Extent of damage unclear.

-Starboard upper shroud broken.  Can rig an emergency replacement to get to the finish, but hasn't done so yet and hasn't had time with the team yet to define a precise plan.

-Can't gybe without losing the rig.

-Seems to have accepted that he's in "get it to the finish with the rig up" mode, not racing for positions anymore.  Probably went from 2 or 3 to 7, 8, 9, or worse, but has accepted that, at least in the moment.

-And yet made time to produce and send that video.  May well have also done one in French and one in German.  He clearly cares about his fans and wanted to respond to their concerns.

It'll get tricky soon if he can't get that emergency shroud sorted in time to gybe before he gets close to the coast.  I got the sense he might not even be planning to try to repair it until dawn, but if so, he may hit shore by then.  I guess when he talked about reducing the main, maybe it was to slow his progress toward the lee shore?  Or maybe just to slow down the boat to make repair work in the dark less dangerous?  Aside from the obvious risk of getting too close to a lee shore, if he overshoots the layline by a lot, he'll have to sail a hot angle to finish, which would load up his emergency shroud more...  Several difficult variables involved.  At least he looks to be in good shape physically, and his eyes don't look too horrible sleep deprived.

What I don't understand is why he does not go dead down wind right now, maybe with 2 reefs in the main. But as you say, staying too long on that tack will only make things worse and loading the compromised side of his rig...

10 minutes ago, Laurent said:

What I don't understand is why he does not go dead down wind right now, maybe with 2 reefs in the main. But as you say, staying too long on that tack will only make things worse and loading the compromised side of his rig...

2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

According to TV Vendée, from a phone call with Jacques Caraes, the race director, Boris is planning to arrive tomorrow afternoon, local time. He may sail all the way to l'Ile d'Yeu, because he has some repairs to make on his rig...

https://tvvendee.fr/le-direct/

My take is that he's trying to avoid putting any load on the mast from the starboard side without that shroud...  Which means keeping it at a good angle on port tack with the main up, to keep the loads all from the port side even if he rolls a bit in waves.  Go too far dead downwind, and the boat will roll back and forth, putting loads on the starboard side.  So I guess the idea is to get into the lee of an island, out of any sea state, drop the main, anchor, and get the emergency shroud rigged before resuming sailing.  Terrible to have to do that, but I guess once you've accepted that you're off the podium, you'd rather finish 10th with the rig up than risk dropping the rig in hopes of 6th.

• Like 3

Looking further into that concept...  If he really needs to avoid putting any loads on the starboard side at all until after anchoring in a lee to do a repair...  Then he may have to sail to Belle Ile en Mer, Houat, or Hoedic, rather than Ile d'Yeu.  I don't think he can get to Ile d'Yeu without gybing.

1 minute ago, chester said:

why is the tracker still shgowing boris as 3rd ?

That was his ranking as of the last full fleet update, at 2100 UTC.  It won't update that again until the full fleet updates at 0400 UTC (90 minutes from now).  Only the boats within 200 nm of the finish are updating more frequently, and their ranks don't update with the increased frequency.

Yannick seems to have this finish pegged. 9nm advantage and much better angle.

This has been a great day to be in the office, but the slowest day of paperwork ever!

Good story about the island "adventure' from Louis. Sounds like his interactions with the isolated Macquarie people was very friendly and cooperative. 

Sheesh. Listening to all the troubles Louis had with halliards, keel, and more which 'forced him to take other nav. options", almost sounds like his troubles luckily put him onto better routes. 

Previously thought he was a real hard ass, willing to push the limits. Can't tell with all the translation filters, but is he really that modest?  

Rumoured he raced to the Horn just to get a racy pic ? LOL

Either way, an even more interesting sailor

Go Yannick..! Amazing effort to win this with an older gen boat. Bet Alex wishes he head of raced his older boat too? LOL Although Alex likes the indoors cockpit nowadays. 

• Like 1