• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

Just now, TheDragon said:

I'm amazed Will is still commentating. Is his role in Boris team that minor?

Agree, As co-skipper, guess maybe he's learned to accept the ups and downs, and as long as all are safe, just live, learn, and move on?

5 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Yannick may come in earlier than expected, 67nm to the line going 20kts

And Thomas Ruyant has still one more jibe to do. If you trace his route with the jibe, it is about 70 nm...They may get really-really-really close on the finish line. Yannick is sending it!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, stief said:

Agree, As co-skipper, guess maybe he's learned to accept the ups and downs, and as long as all are safe, just live, learn, and move on?

When Borris' technical manager gave an interview for Andi yesterday, he described the technical team as including four people and Will was not one of them. 

Will also may have signed a deal to do the commentary and can't back out.  Malizia would have supported that as it provides them additional visibility.  Now, it may be coming back to bite both in the butt.  

I am don't understand why Borris is sailing this hot.  I'm not sure what wx routing would suggest this as optimal.  At the same time, I don't know what repair would be easier in this condition vs cracking off a bit.  Borris is definitely working on the boat (see below).  But I have never sailed an IMOCA- so what do I know?

image.thumb.png.735d093cb33d9a130067c0a607080462.png

• Like 1

On the French live Seb Josse said Boris has decided to arrive tomorrow, not sure why, need to fix some things (rigging) in daylight I guess.

And regarding Charlie's press conference, it was really quite interesting, quite amazing somehow that they impose that without him even having a shower apparently and why not doing it tomorrow.

He looked really tired ! (But somehow this makes him answers very honestly somehow)

Good summary of Louis 80d 10h 25min 12s race (more details on the VG site)

After climbing the mast three times while drifting in the protective lee of the remote island, Burton returned to race mode with his boat at 100% but in 11th with a deficit of 938 miles on the then leader Bestaven and around 500 miles on the main peloton. By Cape Horn he was sixth and had reduced his deficit to 640 miles to Bestaven and by Salvador de Bahia he was second again, 20 miles from the lead.

Burton improves on his seventh place in the last Vendée Globe with a remarkable performance considering that he runs a lean, efficient operation from his home town of Saint Malo with a small team, eschewing the training ‘poles’ and the circuit races, in favour of training on his own. Like Bestaven, he was not picked by any of the pre-race tipsters as a potential podium finisher.

He has had the passionate backing of French office suppliers Bureau Vallée for ten years. One of their best decisions was securing the 2016-17 winning boat before it had crossed the finish line, to which they have made few upgrades beyond some new sails and electronics.

If he has earned a reputation for his ability to push hard and fast for long periods there is a maverick side. He memorably jumped the start gun – for which he took a 5hr sin bin penalty  - took an additional 1hr for failing to send a sealing image correctly, and strayed for 20 minutes into the Antarctic Exclusion Zone for which there was no penalty because he returned back to his entry point. But that should not mask the fact that he has sailed a smart strategic race.

(was trying to recall the other two penalties). Makes his VG even more remarkable

• Like 2

Very poised. Full ownership:  "I was sleeping". Impressive accountability and pragmatism: "Take a deep breath and figure out how to solve this problem."

Wish we had such strength of character in our political  leaders. He even  apologizes to all his supporter for letting them down.  I for one would like to assure him no apology necessary. 

• Like 6

Any else noticed that Yannick's position hasn't been updated for 20 minutes or more, while Thomas is updating at 5 minute intervals as it should?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Any else noticed that Yannick's position hasn't been updated for 20 minutes or more, while Thomas is updating at 5 minute intervals as it should?

Finally updated and showing both 44.8 miles away with speed differentials and a gybe in the way for TR

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jacrider said:

Fair winds to the finish!  Come on Boris!  

He is calm and composed, he will find a solution to his rig issue.

Looks possible fishing boat did not have AIS on (which is illegal). Also amazed that all fishing boats in the Bay of Biscay were not alerted about fast moving sailing boats in there area. 

Or maybe it was a French trawler sabotaging the first non-French potential winner!

Catching up with Charlie arrival, (yeah, there was some work going on today...)

A few nuggets:

The two worst moments:

- when he broke his port foil support spacer, of course. He really thought he was going to abandon in Australia or New Zealand.

- another event he did not talk about earlier. he blew the tack of one of his genaker in 25 knots of wind and got the sail flying off. As he said: "I managed to get the sail back on board and down. I don't know how I did it. But for sure, after the foil issue and that, I felt invicible!"

As noted by Pascal Bidegorry, who is making the comments on the French live, with Sébastien Josse, when Charlie hugs his family, his first comment is: "it's great you could make it!" Like they could have had something more important to do that be here for him!!!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, sunol said:

Boris Hermann video

Respect for doing such a video in such circumstances to reassure everyone, collected, lucid, and efficient... good to see he's safe (but understandably incredibly disappointed), collision at full speed with a fishing boat could have gone way worse...

Stretching things a little he "may" still catch 3rd place if his other foil works wonders when he'll gybe and the rig can take it, but more realistically at worst considering his current speed I guess he'll come in 5th, nothing to sneer at in a VG, but yes, extremely disappointing considering how he was positioned when it happened.

He's so close to the line he might as well make it or break it, if it breaks he's close to shore and rescue boats, I don't know...

On the bright side if something like that is going to happen, better it be right before the line,  it may be harder morally but at least you get to finish the race (may have been a retirement if it happened out on the oceans) and in a very respectable place in this case.

So if I understand Boris' situation correctly...

-No bowsprit, so no big headsails.  Currently sailing under full main and no headsail.

-Starboard foil damaged.  Extent of damage unclear.

-Starboard upper shroud broken.  Can rig an emergency replacement to get to the finish, but hasn't done so yet and hasn't had time with the team yet to define a precise plan.

-Can't gybe without losing the rig.

-Seems to have accepted that he's in "get it to the finish with the rig up" mode, not racing for positions anymore.  Probably went from 2 or 3 to 7, 8, 9, or worse, but has accepted that, at least in the moment.

-And yet made time to produce and send that video.  May well have also done one in French and one in German.  He clearly cares about his fans and wanted to respond to their concerns.

It'll get tricky soon if he can't get that emergency shroud sorted in time to gybe before he gets close to the coast.  I got the sense he might not even be planning to try to repair it until dawn, but if so, he may hit shore by then.  I guess when he talked about reducing the main, maybe it was to slow his progress toward the lee shore?  Or maybe just to slow down the boat to make repair work in the dark less dangerous?  Aside from the obvious risk of getting too close to a lee shore, if he overshoots the layline by a lot, he'll have to sail a hot angle to finish, which would load up his emergency shroud more...  Several difficult variables involved.  At least he looks to be in good shape physically, and his eyes don't look too horrible sleep deprived.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

So if I understand Boris' situation correctly...

-No bowsprit, so no big headsails.  Currently sailing under full main and no headsail.

-Starboard foil damaged.  Extent of damage unclear.

-Starboard upper shroud broken.  Can rig an emergency replacement to get to the finish, but hasn't done so yet and hasn't had time with the team yet to define a precise plan.

-Can't gybe without losing the rig.

-Seems to have accepted that he's in "get it to the finish with the rig up" mode, not racing for positions anymore.  Probably went from 2 or 3 to 7, 8, 9, or worse, but has accepted that, at least in the moment.

-And yet made time to produce and send that video.  May well have also done one in French and one in German.  He clearly cares about his fans and wanted to respond to their concerns.

It'll get tricky soon if he can't get that emergency shroud sorted in time to gybe before he gets close to the coast.  I got the sense he might not even be planning to try to repair it until dawn, but if so, he may hit shore by then.  I guess when he talked about reducing the main, maybe it was to slow his progress toward the lee shore?  Or maybe just to slow down the boat to make repair work in the dark less dangerous?  Aside from the obvious risk of getting too close to a lee shore, if he overshoots the layline by a lot, he'll have to sail a hot angle to finish, which would load up his emergency shroud more...  Several difficult variables involved.  At least he looks to be in good shape physically, and his eyes don't look too horrible sleep deprived.

What I don't understand is why he does not go dead down wind right now, maybe with 2 reefs in the main. But as you say, staying too long on that tack will only make things worse and loading the compromised side of his rig...

10 minutes ago, Laurent said:

What I don't understand is why he does not go dead down wind right now, maybe with 2 reefs in the main. But as you say, staying too long on that tack will only make things worse and loading the compromised side of his rig...

2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

According to TV Vendée, from a phone call with Jacques Caraes, the race director, Boris is planning to arrive tomorrow afternoon, local time. He may sail all the way to l'Ile d'Yeu, because he has some repairs to make on his rig...

https://tvvendee.fr/le-direct/

My take is that he's trying to avoid putting any load on the mast from the starboard side without that shroud...  Which means keeping it at a good angle on port tack with the main up, to keep the loads all from the port side even if he rolls a bit in waves.  Go too far dead downwind, and the boat will roll back and forth, putting loads on the starboard side.  So I guess the idea is to get into the lee of an island, out of any sea state, drop the main, anchor, and get the emergency shroud rigged before resuming sailing.  Terrible to have to do that, but I guess once you've accepted that you're off the podium, you'd rather finish 10th with the rig up than risk dropping the rig in hopes of 6th.

• Like 3

Looking further into that concept...  If he really needs to avoid putting any loads on the starboard side at all until after anchoring in a lee to do a repair...  Then he may have to sail to Belle Ile en Mer, Houat, or Hoedic, rather than Ile d'Yeu.  I don't think he can get to Ile d'Yeu without gybing.

1 minute ago, chester said:

why is the tracker still shgowing boris as 3rd ?

That was his ranking as of the last full fleet update, at 2100 UTC.  It won't update that again until the full fleet updates at 0400 UTC (90 minutes from now).  Only the boats within 200 nm of the finish are updating more frequently, and their ranks don't update with the increased frequency.

Sheesh. Listening to all the troubles Louis had with halliards, keel, and more which 'forced him to take other nav. options", almost sounds like his troubles luckily put him onto better routes. 

Previously thought he was a real hard ass, willing to push the limits. Can't tell with all the translation filters, but is he really that modest?  

Rumoured he raced to the Horn just to get a racy pic ? LOL

Either way, an even more interesting sailor

1 hour ago, Haji said:

Talk about picking a lay line from far out.  Yannick has really nailed it

Nailed it indeed. 

We have a Winner. Impressed how he never gave up after losing that 400 or so nm stuck in Rio. 

And the winner has to wait an hour for the Live coverage <_<

Yannick has finished (and taken the top spot after his time compensation is applied), and Boris has gybed, so he must have jury-rigged a cap shroud (in the dark!). 

This is an amazing race!

Amazing race finish - best of all time!  Congrats to Yannick, Charlie, and Louis - all top notch people and out of this world sailing stars!  As said earlier, they are all WINNERS!

• Like 1

A great quote from Louis Burton. Huge respect for him.

"I think at some point you're doing the best you can. This race is so huge that finishing is already great. For me it actually takes precedence over the ranking. This is a particular context, these real-time time changes are related to the saving of a human life, I have nothing more to say about that. The bonuses must be fair and even encourage people to seek out people in distress."

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Odd now to see Ruyant doing 8.5 almost dead downwind while Boris is apparently giving it a shot to try to finish within 6 hours of him...

Most of the times i was looking Thomas was still doing around 11kn but it's really looks close for him to get to the line without a gybe for hime. I still think Boris has a shot at 4th with his redress.

Just now, KlaasWiersma said:

Are the French not happy with Yannick as the winner? What is this? Too rough to do a livestream? It's 17 knots! 

I really think they miscalculated how soon he would reach the line ;)

good to see the guy first around the Horn and who opened up a 400+ mile lead at the southern half of South America bag it (and all with an older boat).

huge victory.

So, is the Louis the only one in the top 7 to have finished a Vendee before?  That must be some type of record.  What happened to all of the top entrants from 4 years ago?  Seems most of them didn't return (Morgan, Seb, Paul, etc...)  Makes me wonder if the foiling boats are so hard that we won't see many multi-time finishers anymore, at least at the front.  And its been almost 20 years since an older boat won...  Definitely a unique race, this one.  

Too deep into happy hour, but there's something ironic that this thread is rightly disgruntled that the FR aren't showing proper respect to the FR winner.

oh wait . ..  he's a Welshman (cred Andi Robertson)

11 minutes ago, stief said:

C'mon Boris--keep it together! You've done so much to bring the race back to the international audience.

The parallels with he and AT are getting spooky....fishing boat in same postcode, rigs and media junky.

...then you have 'Boris' who is AT's PM Boris J and while AT wants to look very German .. Herman is a real German. 

Has any one done a DNA test on these two??

18 minutes ago, Roleur said:

So, is the Louis the only one in the top 7 to have finished a Vendee before? 

I think if one started doing a list of firsts and improbables for this edition starting with 'A' for attrition, 'B' for budgets etc they will need a lot of paper.

39 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

I really think they miscalculated how soon he would reach the line ;)

That ended up being the final icing in the cake. The top 3 all on the podium and just their positions shuffled with Yannick's corrected a large not small delta, leaving no arguments about redress times. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate I'm calling you the 'Mailman' .....always delivers.

Now I'm worried. It's the fe-males who deliver. 

Anyway, Dee and Will Harris (it's pointed out he's part of Team Mszilia)  are doing the welcome right. 

Fireworks working

I didn't watch the live translation of Louis Burton's interview, so I do not know if you got everything, but the list of breakage is just scary.

We all know about the main halyard issues and the stop behing Macquarie Island.

His main sail head lashing broke again in the Atlantic so he fixed it and raised the sail again. Then the halyard broke, so he raised the sail with a jib halyard, from the front of the mast, and he could raise only to first reef. When the halyard broke, it riped off all the electrical cables inside the mast, so he lost all mast head electronics. He had to use his back up system that you set up at the transom.

Then both his water makers broke, and he survived with rain water collected in the Doldrums. He drank the last drop at 4:00 PM in the last day.

Ah, also, he ran out of cooking gas for the last two weeks, so he could eat only the few cans he had left and some (I assumed pre-cooked) rice. He ran out of food as well.

Oh yeah, and his engine is out and he broke one hydrogenerator out of two. So he had limited sources of electricity.

No engine means that he had to tilt the keel by hand... with the level to actuate the hydraulic rams.

Early on, in the Indian ocean, his electronic bus network went bezerk, so none of the autopilot could work, because they share the same network on the boat. With techincal guidance from his team, he was able to fix the network and get one AP back on line.

Pffffwewww !!

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I didn't watch the live translation of Louis Burton's interview, so I do not know if you got everything, but the list of breakage is just scary.

We all know about the main halyard issues and the stop behing Macquarie Island.

His main sail head lashing broke again in the Atlantic so he fixed it and raised the sail again. Then the halyard broke, so he raised the sail with a jib layard, from the front of the mast, and he could raise only to first reef. When the halyard broke, it riped off all the electrical cables inside the mast, so he lost all mast head electronics. He had to use his back up system that you set up at the transom.

Then both his water makers broke, and he survived with rain water collected in the Doldrums. He drank the last drop at 4:00 PM in the last day.

Ah, also, he ran out of cooking gas for the last two weeks, so he could eat only the few cans he had left and some (I assumed pre-cooked) rice. He ran out of food as well.

Oh yeah, and his engine is out and he broke one hydrogenerator out of two. So he had limited sources of electricity.

No engine means that he had to tilt the keel by hand... with the level to actuate the hydraulic rams.

Early on, in the Indian ocean, his electronic bus network went bezerk, so none of the autopilot could work, because they share the same network on the boat. With techincal guidance from his team, he was able to fix the network and get one AP back on line.

Pffffwewww !!

Thanks Laurent--was indeed quite a list. (that saves going back to check it again tomorrow) .

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

The 2020/21 MacGyver Award.

That's a tough award to win in this race.  A lot of competition.

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Would Alex Thompson have starved to death had his boat not broken?

I had the same thought! Although, before it all fell apart, his boat was going considerably faster than anyone else. Which is probably why it fell apart! 

• Like 1