• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

Amazing race finish - best of all time!  Congrats to Yannick, Charlie, and Louis - all top notch people and out of this world sailing stars!  As said earlier, they are all WINNERS!

• Like 1

Hmm. Ruyant speed still look odd. Can't recall what the limits are with his sails  . . .

Behind them, Giancarlo and Damien are at 20 and 17kts. 

A great quote from Louis Burton. Huge respect for him.

"I think at some point you're doing the best you can. This race is so huge that finishing is already great. For me it actually takes precedence over the ranking. This is a particular context, these real-time time changes are related to the saving of a human life, I have nothing more to say about that. The bonuses must be fair and even encourage people to seek out people in distress."

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Odd now to see Ruyant doing 8.5 almost dead downwind while Boris is apparently giving it a shot to try to finish within 6 hours of him...

Most of the times i was looking Thomas was still doing around 11kn but it's really looks close for him to get to the line without a gybe for hime. I still think Boris has a shot at 4th with his redress.

Just now, KlaasWiersma said:

Are the French not happy with Yannick as the winner? What is this? Too rough to do a livestream? It's 17 knots! 

I really think they miscalculated how soon he would reach the line ;)

good to see the guy first around the Horn and who opened up a 400+ mile lead at the southern half of South America bag it (and all with an older boat).

huge victory.

So, is the Louis the only one in the top 7 to have finished a Vendee before?  That must be some type of record.  What happened to all of the top entrants from 4 years ago?  Seems most of them didn't return (Morgan, Seb, Paul, etc...)  Makes me wonder if the foiling boats are so hard that we won't see many multi-time finishers anymore, at least at the front.  And its been almost 20 years since an older boat won...  Definitely a unique race, this one.  

Too deep into happy hour, but there's something ironic that this thread is rightly disgruntled that the FR aren't showing proper respect to the FR winner.

oh wait . ..  he's a Welshman (cred Andi Robertson)

11 minutes ago, stief said:

C'mon Boris--keep it together! You've done so much to bring the race back to the international audience.

The parallels with he and AT are getting spooky....fishing boat in same postcode, rigs and media junky.

...then you have 'Boris' who is AT's PM Boris J and while AT wants to look very German .. Herman is a real German. 

Has any one done a DNA test on these two??

18 minutes ago, Roleur said:

So, is the Louis the only one in the top 7 to have finished a Vendee before? 

I think if one started doing a list of firsts and improbables for this edition starting with 'A' for attrition, 'B' for budgets etc they will need a lot of paper.

39 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

I really think they miscalculated how soon he would reach the line ;)

That ended up being the final icing in the cake. The top 3 all on the podium and just their positions shuffled with Yannick's corrected a large not small delta, leaving no arguments about redress times. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate I'm calling you the 'Mailman' .....always delivers.

Now I'm worried. It's the fe-males who deliver. 

Anyway, Dee and Will Harris (it's pointed out he's part of Team Mszilia)  are doing the welcome right. 

Fireworks working

I didn't watch the live translation of Louis Burton's interview, so I do not know if you got everything, but the list of breakage is just scary.

We all know about the main halyard issues and the stop behing Macquarie Island.

His main sail head lashing broke again in the Atlantic so he fixed it and raised the sail again. Then the halyard broke, so he raised the sail with a jib halyard, from the front of the mast, and he could raise only to first reef. When the halyard broke, it riped off all the electrical cables inside the mast, so he lost all mast head electronics. He had to use his back up system that you set up at the transom.

Then both his water makers broke, and he survived with rain water collected in the Doldrums. He drank the last drop at 4:00 PM in the last day.

Ah, also, he ran out of cooking gas for the last two weeks, so he could eat only the few cans he had left and some (I assumed pre-cooked) rice. He ran out of food as well.

Oh yeah, and his engine is out and he broke one hydrogenerator out of two. So he had limited sources of electricity.

No engine means that he had to tilt the keel by hand... with the level to actuate the hydraulic rams.

Early on, in the Indian ocean, his electronic bus network went bezerk, so none of the autopilot could work, because they share the same network on the boat. With techincal guidance from his team, he was able to fix the network and get one AP back on line.

Pffffwewww !!

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I didn't watch the live translation of Louis Burton's interview, so I do not know if you got everything, but the list of breakage is just scary.

We all know about the main halyard issues and the stop behing Macquarie Island.

His main sail head lashing broke again in the Atlantic so he fixed it and raised the sail again. Then the halyard broke, so he raised the sail with a jib layard, from the front of the mast, and he could raise only to first reef. When the halyard broke, it riped off all the electrical cables inside the mast, so he lost all mast head electronics. He had to use his back up system that you set up at the transom.

Then both his water makers broke, and he survived with rain water collected in the Doldrums. He drank the last drop at 4:00 PM in the last day.

Ah, also, he ran out of cooking gas for the last two weeks, so he could eat only the few cans he had left and some (I assumed pre-cooked) rice. He ran out of food as well.

Oh yeah, and his engine is out and he broke one hydrogenerator out of two. So he had limited sources of electricity.

No engine means that he had to tilt the keel by hand... with the level to actuate the hydraulic rams.

Early on, in the Indian ocean, his electronic bus network went bezerk, so none of the autopilot could work, because they share the same network on the boat. With techincal guidance from his team, he was able to fix the network and get one AP back on line.

Pffffwewww !!

Thanks Laurent--was indeed quite a list. (that saves going back to check it again tomorrow) .

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

The 2020/21 MacGyver Award.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

The 2020/21 MacGyver Award.

That's a tough award to win in this race.  A lot of competition.

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Would Alex Thompson have starved to death had his boat not broken?

I had the same thought! Although, before it all fell apart, his boat was going considerably faster than anyone else. Which is probably why it fell apart! 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, stief said:

Too deep into happy hour, but there's something ironic that this thread is rightly disgruntled that the FR aren't showing proper respect to the FR winner.

oh wait . ..  he's a Welshman (cred Andi Robertson)

Nope. Welsh, Irish, Scots are all celts (hard C) descended from Gauls. Which is why the English are always so pissed off at them.  BTW. Asterix and Obelix are your best source of English history!

• Like 1

Ruyant in at 05:42:01 local time.  So Boris has until 11:42:00 to finish.  If he maintains 8 kts without dropping the stick, he'd likely just barely make it.

Although whether that race is for 4th or not isn't clear yet...  Because JLC might still have a shot at 4th if he keeps doing 20 kts...

Just now, Hitchhiker said:

Nope. Welsh, Irish, Scots are all celts (hard C) descended from Gauls. Which is why the English are always so pissed off at them.  BTW. Asterix and Obelix are your best source of English history!

Love Asterix and Obelix. Made high school French a great class, since that was often our treat when we completed the lessons.

So there: they're French. :D

And Yannick looks seriously wild and happy.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

Missing the overall winner going over the line is classic C'est la vie ;)

True, and yet,  impressed how LSD managed to pull off a world class arrival given their provincial constraints.

• Like 2

Dee: "Boats beat, blackened and bruised, like the skippers"  Well put.

And not beaten.

(and Boris still coming in steadily . . . 7.9kts and 38 nm. )

23 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

"so pissed off"

'Indifferent' OR 'disdain' is closer for the English ...."the pissed off" at the English belongs to the other 3 in the Union of 4 and in order of 'pissed off'  Irish, Scots and Welsh.

The Irish are in fact at another level called 'mega pissed off' largely because their pissed off began over 800 years ago and has not let up to this day. Interspersed with being starved to death by the English in the 1800's, promised home rule then had that withdrawn and instead sent to the Western front in WWI followed by partition and then 80 years of bloodshed up until 20 years ago.....the list goes on. 

Back to normal programming. :D

11 hours ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Bestaven by 30 minutes on corrected time. Any takers?

Top, well predicted. 

I also thought it would be down to minutes in the end, he was really flying in the end.

Congratulations Yannick! I just came here to point out that somehow, despite the drama of the rescue, Maitre Coq leading after the Horn and then losing so many miles, then clawing back to the win, and Besthaven even thanking the 3500 staff and farmers of Maitre Coq in his last video, no one here made any  comments about not counting your chickens before they've hatched. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Chasm said:

Next question is of course if the boat was engaged in fishing or not.

A fishing boat only is the stand on vessel if trawling or has nets out (like a gillnet). Other types of fishing like trolling that do not restrict your ability to maneuver don't count.

Fishing boats, especially when fishing, often do a really shitty job of keeping a lookout. They'll have working lights on, might be working the gear (deploy or retrieve) and just don't notice other boats heading to them at 20 knots.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Oxon said:

When Borris' technical manager gave an interview for Andi yesterday, he described the technical team as including four people and Will was not one of them. 

Will also may have signed a deal to do the commentary and can't back out.  Malizia would have supported that as it provides them additional visibility.  Now, it may be coming back to bite both in the butt.  

I am don't understand why Borris is sailing this hot.  I'm not sure what wx routing would suggest this as optimal.  At the same time, I don't know what repair would be easier in this condition vs cracking off a bit.  Borris is definitely working on the boat (see below).  But I have never sailed an IMOCA- so what do I know?

image.thumb.png.735d093cb33d9a130067c0a607080462.png

May be he wants to keep one shroud always under tension as the opposite one is a bit iffy. ...

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Zonker said:

A fishing boat only is the stand on vessel if trawling or has nets out (like a gillnet). Other types of fishing like trolling that do not restrict your ability to maneuver don't count.

Fishing boats, especially when fishing, often do a really shitty job of keeping a lookout. They'll have working lights on, might be working the gear (deploy or retrieve) and just don't notice other boats heading to them at 20 knots.

Sure about this?

My understanding is that as soon as they are fishing they are stand on. Pretty sure that a French fisherman wouldn't budge as soon as he is vaguely fishing. But then may be they've educated us badly and they always "forget" to switch off their fishing lights anyway!

Just now, Zonker said:

In the video Boris said that it was a trawler. Might not have been an actual trawler, might not have been trawling.
We should get more information soon enough. High profile incident and the accusation that the fisher was running without AIS. Sounds like a surprise inspection to me.

5 minutes ago, Chasm said:

In the video Boris said that it was a trawler. Might not have been an actual trawler, might not have been trawling.
We should get more information soon enough. High profile incident and the accusation that the fisher was running without AIS. Sounds like a surprise inspection to me.

At least according to his video multiple systems failed. AIs, radar among them. Analysis is going to be interesting and most likely thankfully not for the overall win ;)

Gotta grin: Yannick looks fiercely proud and determined shaking the trophy down that walkway, and then to meet Kevin at the end--perfect.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Looks possible fishing boat did not have AIS on (which is illegal)

I don't know specific French law about AIS carriage, but depending on the size of the trawler it might not be required to be fitted. A "cargo ship" is a pretty broad definition and doesn't mean a freighter specifically. Generally often means "not a passenger ship" at the IMO. Here's the IMO reg:

https://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Safety/Pages/AIS.aspx#:~:text=Regulations for carriage of AIS&text=The regulation requires AIS to,passenger ships irrespective of size.

"The regulation requires AIS to be fitted aboard all ships of 300 gross tonnage and upwards engaged on international voyages, cargo ships of 500 gross tonnage and upwards not engaged on international voyages and all passenger ships irrespective of size"

A local fishing trawler (i.e. not on international voyages) of about 40m / 130' might well be under 500 GT.

19 minutes ago, Zonker said:

He also says he was asleep. That he 'confesses' that speaks to his integrity and sportsmanship. 

But per 'ze leeuuw', that puts the case to rest, afaic.

7 minutes ago, stief said:

Gotta grin: Yannick looks fiercely proud and determined shaking the trophy down that walkway, and then to meet Kevin at the end--perfect.

I am missing this. Link?

10 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

My understanding is that as soon as they are fishing they are stand on

Please read the COLREGs. It depends on the TYPE of fishing. (and of course we do not know if the vessel had nets, trawls, in use; it could have been just underway)

Rule 3 General definitions 

(d) The term “vessel engaged in fishing” means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restrict manoeuvrability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manoeuvrability.

In other words if you're a fishing boat and can get out the way just like a regular power boat, you have no special rights. If you have a net out or a big trawl that restricts how much you can turn or adjust speed, you're a fishing boat.

Just now, Matagi said:

He also says he was asleep. That he 'confesses' that speaks to his integrity and sportsmanship. 

But per the 'law', that puts the case to rest, afaic.

But don't forget the the fishing vessel is also obligated to keep a watch and keep clear if a vessel on a collision course doesn't alter course. That's why cases of collisions that go to a court seldom find 100% fault with one vessel. Yes, if you're asleep, the court is not going to look favourably on you. But same if the watch stander on the fishing boat goes to the head or is grabbing a cup of coffee.

Rule 17 Action by stand-on vessel

(b) When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision

• Like 2

So. This question may have been raised much earlier and I missed it. If so, please excuse y ignorance.  I am a bear of very little brain.  But, if the ice limits had not been set so far north, would it have been possible for this race to be more spread out.

Secondly, now that we have seen such a close finish, could this course be a model for future races?

21 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

So. This question may have been raised much earlier and I missed it. If so, please excuse y ignorance.  I am a bear of very little brain.  But, if the ice limits had not been set so far north, would it have been possible for this race to be more spread out.

Secondly, now that we have seen such a close finish, could this course be a model for future races?

Hmmm. That's an eye opener. I think it has real potential. First time my old tired brain has heard the idea the race is closer--better racing-- because of the limits. The usual griping is that the limits infringe them going more south, countered by the dislike of supporting a blood sport. 

I like the thought the race might be closer and more sporting at these latitudes.  Ari and Miranda so chose to route even more north. There's still the  Indian and the Horn passages to make the race tough enough. And the Bay of Biscay of course.

Brain dead now here. Someone will have a better idea.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

But, if the ice limits had not been set so far north, would it have been possible for this race to be more spread out.

Good question.

I think you will get two different answers depending on the latitude of the lows going west to east, particularly in section CT to NZ at race time, then add weather probability.

If weather forces more/better routing opportunities north then ice fence doesn't play a big part. Fleet will segregate or spread out more according to individual performance.

However if more/better routing opportunities to the south BUT with a ice fence, particularly one that varies in lattitude a lot, then fleet will tend to aggregate or compress, particularly around the most northern points of the ice fence. No ice fence big gaps in the fleet will appear.

The question then is probability of weather favouring north or south for greater/better routing opportunities? The answer is definitely south. 

So on average a ice fence WILL compress the fleet. This year looked pretty average, hence the result. Ice fence also favours daggerboard boats as it does stop the foilers stretching out and catching a LP that others miss.

I could have just said YES. :D

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, stief said:

Hmmm. That's an eye opener. I think it has real potential. First time my old tired brain has heard the idea the race is closer--better racing-- because of the limits. The usual griping is that the limits infringe them going more south, countered by the dislike of supporting a blood sport. 

I like the thought the race might be closer and more sporting at these latitudes.  Ari and Miranda so chose to route even more north. There's still the  Indian and the Horn passages to make the race tough enough. And the Bay of Biscay of course.

Brain dead now here. Someone will have a better idea.

Closer for sure. Better racing? No.

One more thing.  This has proven to be yet again the best thread. Once every four years. Glad to know all of you like minded short minded sailing geeks!

• Like 8
1 hour ago, stief said:

Live back Live.

Thanks Postman, I would have missed it in live, otherwise.

What a wonderful and worthy reception of Yannick, the undisputed winner of this super competitive Vendée Globe, who's first words were that it was not only a dream, but a hallucination for him.

Plenty of supporters, despite the Covid restrictions, and plenty fireworks too. Just a pity he did not get his double handflare picture, but he did get a very tasteful Globe trophy alright!

Was watching it initially on the English live, but by golly what a boring lot of technocrat reporters there, and switched to the French for plenty of emotions. Good to see Thomas Ruyant come in, as well as Charlie Dalin and Kevin Escoffier on the dock. Did I perhaps miss Louis Burton? He did a very good presser earlier, answering all the questions carefully and extensively, as if he had just turned up for a days work.

Now the waiting is for poor Boris, who may have jinxed himself when he said earlier that he had "the right of way" over that freighter. Didn't deserve it though...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, stief said:

now where's that vid of the COVID wine smell-taste test that @Herman might like to try

I was testing the whole bottle to see if I still could taste a bit and tested negative :D

• Like 1
9 hours ago, steinbrenner said:

for me it still seems that bestaven takes the trophy... just my two cents

Indeed, I made a 1hr calculation error with Bestaven last night and adjusted the ETA for him in my post while you posted this. 

So Boris is 20 miles out @7 knots, that makes a finish around 10:30 UTC wich would put him 10 minutes in front of Ruyant.

Will there be live coverage of Boris' finish?

One for the shoulda coulda exercise... Now we know actual times for the top contenders, and if Boris were able to keep his pre colision performance... where could he be? 1st? 2nd? 3rd?

22 minutes ago, mario147 said:

One for the shoulda coulda exercise... Now we know actual times for the top contenders, and if Boris were able to keep his pre colision performance... where could he be? 1st? 2nd? 3rd?

Either 2 or 3, but more 3 than 2 seems to me, it was really close, and right now him being 4th is still possible.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Either 2 or 3, but more 3 than 2 seems to me, it was really close, and right now him being 4th is still possible.

JLC could nick 4th place (after his redress) - 176nm DTF, and maintaining 18knt VMG - and Boris won't cross the line for another 2 hours or so.

I'd be gutted for Boris to lose another place, but can't really begrudge it going to Le Cam! 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, jimmyuk81 said:

JLC could nick 4th place (after his redress) - 176nm DTF, and maintaining 18knt VMG - and Boris won't cross the line for another 2 hours or so.

I'd be gutted for Boris to lose another place, but can't really begrudge it going to Le Cam! 

Le Cam still has at least one gybe to make, so actual distance to sail is much more.... We'll see!

Phew, what a race... The Cock wins... with hours (better for Dalin, a few minutes would be harder).
This race in Covid times was a real bonus. Hats of to organizers.

Now how is Ari doing ?

The German TV will try to get a signal from the VG, starting live at 10:00 UTC / 11:00 CET: the live stream will also be shwon on this site: Yacht Magazine

Edit: Very Lazy Yack beat me

Edit 2: this German livestream will now be at 1300UTC, when boris arrives into the channel in Le Sables.

Yannick deserved the win IMO. He stopped to help in a crisis and then went on to generate a 400 mile lead that was later evaporated. He obviously put together a reliable boat and in the end that and his weather routing and tactics got him the overall win. There's a lesson to be learnt going forward and that is reliability comes 1st, speed comes second IMO. Well done to all the skippers who make the course in what will be considered a very difficult  Vendee. 

• Like 5