Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Yannick deserved the win IMO. He stopped to help in a crisis and then went on to generate a 400 mile lead that was later evaporated. He obviously put together a reliable boat and in the end that and his weather routing and tactics got him the overall win. There's a lesson to be learnt going forward and that is reliability comes 1st, speed comes second IMO. Well done to all the skippers who make the course in what will be considered a very difficult  Vendee. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

Oh, he fought hard, like Dalin and Burton, all had problems, luck and bad luck. So a worthy podium.All with big stories to tell.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeoV said:

Hats of to organizers.

To easily not understood how difficult it was,  particularly from those outside Europe to plan with teams facing big challengers.....and then execution ....quite remarkable.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Frustrating the live looks set to miss Boris arriving... :(

Just behind him looks like it's going to be very close between Seguin and Pedote. I thought Pedote had enough to get clear ahead when they were just inside the 200nm circle, but since then Seguin has done a great job of sailing lower and at times faster. I think he's now close enough to sneak in ahead, but let's see how fast Pedote can go following his gybe...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very impressive to see how the starboard foil is swinging with the waves. Must have been a pretty harsh crash. Amazing that he was able to make it hold together

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what about possible outside assistance in Boris' case? I understood him his sails and shrouds were entangled with fishing boat cranes, is it allowed in this case to get help from fishing boat crew to set him free again? or he made it himself anyway? Bernard Stamm's case comes to mind and the rules were/are pretty rigorous

on the other hand I hope he hasn't received any help or the rule doesn't apply if he has, I was really gutted for him and rooting for him all the way, not to mention that I've been living in Hamburg for five years and hoped that the win comes this time in HH 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that a crack at the hull-deck join, and another crack or two running down from there? - the damage to the foil might be the least of the problems, the internal supporting structure must be a bit unhealthy which must be the real worry and reason to have taken the foot off the pedal.Is that a crack at the hull-deck join, and another crack or two running down from there - the damage to the foil might be the least of the problems, the internal supporting structure must be a bit unhealthy which must be the real worry and reason to have taken the foot off the pedal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bilge Boy said:

Is that a crack at the hull-deck join, and another crack or two running down from there? - the damage to the foil might be the least of the problems, the internal supporting structure must be a bit unhealthy which must be the real worry and reason to have taken the foot off the pedal.Is that a crack at the hull-deck join, and another crack or two running down from there - the damage to the foil might be the least of the problems, the internal supporting structure must be a bit unhealthy which must be the real worry and reason to have taken the foot off the pedal.

You can say that again...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

With the side bashed in over the foil this looks like an expensive repair. Loose/shifted foil case. 
Looks in some shots like the bowsprit got partly shoved into the boat as well.
Then there is also the mast that needs a close look.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

Don't these boats have radar? Re Boris....?

Check out his video (upthread) - he was asleep but had AIS and radar alarms set. For some reason, they didn't go off - I'm sure Boris and team will be investigating to find out why...!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Just to stop all the fuckers complotists on this thread, the fishing boat was spanish.

still, they could have plotted against germans, using spanish boat to cover up traces:ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jimmyuk81 said:

Damn, that foil is seriously fucked isn't it. :o

@steinbrenner - the way Boris described the incident in his video, he managed to "slip past" the fishing boat (IIRC) to get free - I don't think any of the crew were involved.

thanks, I should listen to the video again, this time more carefully

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, steinbrenner said:

I wonder what about possible outside assistance in Boris' case? I understood him his sails and shrouds were entangled with fishing boat cranes, is it allowed in this case to get help from fishing boat crew to set him free again?

 
"
41. OUTSIDE HELP
 
A boat shall not receive help from any outside source, except
  1. after a collision, help from the crew of the other vessel to get clear

"

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gypsyclubjuggler said:
 
"
41. OUTSIDE HELP
 
A boat shall not receive help from any outside source, except
  1. after a collision, help from the crew of the other vessel to get clear

"

thanks for that!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry if it has been mentioned before, but the live coverage of the finishes is a joke... some shots of the boat, a french VG guy talking with Andis voice on top, no idea where the line is... and shortly after the cross, they're cutting off :angry:

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

boris.png

Don´t think there are cracks. In the second pic you can see that there are ropes hanging down to the foil

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ET1 said:

Don´t think there are cracks. In the second pic you can see that there are ropes hanging down to the foil

Bowsprit smashed off, stbd foil seriously chewed up and floppy from loss of structural integrity, scars on topsides from scraping along the fishing boat - it's a frigging miracle the outrigger survived (especially considering the capshroud was torn from the mast) and the mast still stands!

Link to post
Share on other sites

As bad as it is, could have been much worse.  So glad he finished.

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, k-f-u said:

sorry if it has been mentioned before, but the live coverage of the finishes is a joke... some shots of the boat, a french VG guy talking with Andis voice on top, no idea where the line is... and shortly after the cross, they're cutting off :angry:

Absolutely terrible ... worst ever ... one would think, they will pay more attention to it, when its online only .. total BS  ..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Whinging Pom said:

Where's Giancarlo off to?  Another gybe methinks.  Well done to Damian holding off the foiler.

I can't imagine another gybe will make much difference at this point.  Just point the bow at the finish and experience the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jimmyuk81 said:

Check out his video (upthread) - he was asleep but had AIS and radar alarms set. For some reason, they didn't go off - I'm sure Boris and team will be investigating to find out why...!

'Others' will too. But that us for a different day.

Thank you, Boris, welcome home!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Haji said:

Bravo Damien

Amazing performance.  Old, non-foiling boat, and a skipper with just one hand!  Incredible!  WFD Damien!   

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, k-f-u said:

sorry if it has been mentioned before, but the live coverage of the finishes is a joke... some shots of the boat, a french VG guy talking with Andis voice on top, no idea where the line is... and shortly after the cross, they're cutting off :angry:

agree to that

boris coming into port will be livestreamed on ndr today from 14:00 (13:00 UTC):

https://www.ndr.de/sport/mehr_sport/Vendee-Globe-Die-Zielankunft-von-Boris-Herrmann-live,herrmann480.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, k-f-u said:

sorry if it has been mentioned before, but the live coverage of the finishes is a joke... some shots of the boat, a french VG guy talking with Andis voice on top, no idea where the line is... and shortly after the cross, they're cutting off :angry:

 

20 minutes ago, vesa said:

Absolutely terrible ... worst ever ... one would think, they will pay more attention to it, when its online only .. total BS  ..

Mind you, they have been going all night. The coverege has been pretty good so far. The presser with Thomas has just finished and there is not much to show or talk about right now.

Don't think that Boris will still be able to enter at the moment.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

 

Mind you, they have been going all night. The coverege has been pretty good so far. The presser with Thomas has just finished and there is not much to show or talk about right now.

Don't think that Boris will still be able to enter at the moment.

 

I was certainly grumbling last night after staying up late hoping to see Bestaven cross the line.  But with some sleep and now coffe I have to admit, I wouldn't have been willing to be the guy doing the on the water reporting.  They'd have had to stay out on a boat in cold, wet, foggy, bumpy sea's until 5 am, and hoping not to run out of gas.  All so I could sit in my nice comfy armchair and watch.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

I was certainly grumbling last night after staying up late hoping to see Bestaven cross the line.  But with some sleep and now coffe I have to admit, I wouldn't have been willing to be the guy doing the on the water reporting.  They'd have had to stay out on a boat in cold, wet, foggy, bumpy sea's until 5 am, and hoping not to run out of gas.  All so I could sit in my nice comfy armchair and watch.

Yeah, I was bummed to missed Yannick crossing the line, however the coverage of his trip down the channel more than made up for it. It was really rough at the time he came ripping in, so it would have been great to see but really hard to cover.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jimmyuk81 said:

Meanwhile Pedote is absolutely determined to enjoy every last minute of his race, by the looks of it. No soaking downwind for him!

Indeed!  At the beginning of this race, a gybe took an hour!  Now you'd think Giancarlo is in a Laser!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 2:38 PM, HeartOfGold said:

He's 83 nm behind Maxime, down from nearly 200 nm 3 days ago and the Regadata projection has him passing comfortably before Cape Finisterre.

As for gybing north, well:

Capture.PNG.bfed7917719d817a31d56c856f682266.PNG

He'd be sailing into 40kts of wind and 6m waves. Not sure that would be a good move, especially since his VMG has been 15kts over the last 24h, higher than Maxime's and in fact, highest in the top 16 boats.

There's no hope of catching OMIA Water Family though, which is what I was hoping for when he had that smooth Doldrums passage, but he had no fun in the NE trades. Ah well. The front of this race is too exciting to be too concerned about 10th place. :)

Still convinced Amel will pass him? He is constantly on the south side of Maxime were there is less wind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Indeed!  At the beginning of this race, a gybe took an hour!  Now you'd think Giancarlo is in a Laser!

Hah :D 

All good things must come to an end, he's crossed the line now. Well done Giancarlo!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bebmoumoute said:

it is an international conspiracy of the unit "fischer-mens-friend":


in 2012 a portugisischer trawler rams Kito de Pavants "Groupe of Bel";
also in 2012 became luis burton!  rammed (which country it was fishig him?)
and now Spanish fishing people make Boris seaexplorer to a wingless duck

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Bowsprit smashed off, stbd foil seriously chewed up and floppy from loss of structural integrity, scars on topsides from scraping along the fishing boat - it's a frigging miracle the outrigger survived (especially considering the capshroud was torn from the mast) and the mast still stands!

Looking at the video of Boris finishing, it seems that the stbd foil took the hammering and damage and protected the deck spreader/mast support - probably not in the design brief, but serendipitous in the extreme.  Phew!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Just to stop all the fuckers complotists on this thread, the fishing boat was spanish.

Supposedly the HERMANOS BUSTO (IMO: 9148788, MMSI: 224130870)
https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/HERMANOS-BUSTO-IMO-9148788-MMSI-224130870
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:164997/mmsi:224130870/imo:9148788/vessel:HERMANOS_BUSTO

Not exactly a big trawler.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Well... still a fair amount of steel to hit at speed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mowgli said:

Still convinced Amel will pass him? He is constantly on the south side of Maxime were there is less wind.

They may very well decide not to risk ending up on a lee shore in a full gale, and wait it out on the Spanish coast or anchor in La Corūna.

The Gulf of Biscay is not a place to fuck with in bad weather. The last time I sailed in those exact waters it was only blowing 35 knots, and a coaster with shifting timber deck cargo sank not far from us. Regrettably they had 100 or so illegal immigrants on board, with plenty children, and half of them perished.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ant1 said:

Last video he seems to be doing great, advancing nicely, cool and happy as usual... relieved to be going north after the rough days around cape horn

 

Wonder how much food he and Alexia have in their stores?

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chasm said:

  on marinetraffic the time stamp for hermanos is eight days old?

2021-01-20 02:25 UTC

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest that they invent, quickly, a special trophy to be given to each of the first five finishers, all of whom really deserve this win. Takes nothing away from Bestaven, and acknowledges that the complexities of this race mean all five really deserve major recognition.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gutted for Boris, one hell of a top 10 finish experience, but this VG is still bringing it.

 

Looking back there is a nice pack starting around15th.  Our English Viking (for what else to call this strong sailing woman beating back the monsters of problems) seems to be getting her groove back and is not letting go of those foilers just yet.  I think she's got a good line coming out of the Equator and she has shown the ability to find a gear to gain on those two in front of her.

I know y'all will say that the foilers will eat her lunch but is it not true that a non-foiler just finished in the top 6 and their were 4 in the top 11?

This North Atlantic run could be just as exciting with this group as was the top.  Go Pip!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

I suggest that they invent, quickly, a special trophy to be given to each of the first five finishers, all of whom really deserve this win. Takes nothing away from Bestaven, and acknowledges that the complexities of this race mean all five really deserve major recognition.

I think everyone up to and including JLC should all cram onto the top of the podium for a group photo.  Social distancing be damned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If that was the fishing boat, then it does appear they had their AIS turned off, what a shame.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

I think everyone up to and including JLC should all cram onto the top of the podium for a group photo.  Social distancing be damned.

Agreed, and they don't need to social distance, no way they could have caught COVID in the last 89 days. BUT, I think they need to be a lot more careful than I am seeing on some of these arrival videos, even if their teams have been in an 80-day or longer bubble, they are at real risk of getting covid just when they are at their physical weakest after 80 brutal days of effort and limited food. It would be a horrible ending to this otherwise amazing race during COVID to have a skipper get really sick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

I know y'all will say that the foilers will eat her lunch but is it not true that a non-foiler just finished in the top 6 and their were 4 in the top 11?

The Atlantic was foiler land if you look how the standings developed since Cape Horn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Hopefully it's more promising than this:

image.jpeg.5bcf199824419e39ce9968fb22c886a3.jpeg
 
 

 

No kidding.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If my quick math doesn't have any mistakes, Le Cam's race clock deadlines to finish would be...

Seguin (6th) 81:14:13

Ruyant (5th) 81:07:37

Hermann (4th) 81:07:14

It'll be too late on Burton in a couple hours, so he won't be doing better than 4th.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

JLC at about 135 nm and 17 kts.  So about eight hours sailing and in almost exactly 24 hrs behind Dalin before time adjustment?

Perfect, plenty time to sleep a bit before the Clack le Cam show.

And what a great 3 entries we just had, everybody so happy, nice!

G'night...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mowgli said:

Still convinced Amel will pass him? He is constantly on the south side of Maxime were there is less wind.

Alas no. And now he's running at 8.6kts, averaging 11.1kts over the last 4 hours. Hopefully nothing's wrong and he's just waiting for the LP to pass. I guess he's decided to settle for 11th and having been fastest from equator to equator? :-/  I'm not convinced that his routing is the problem, but I'm certainly no expert.

On a different note, I haven't seen very much love for Thomas Ruyant in the posts here, and I think his race showed absolutely amazing seamanship: to bring a boat that was at one point half filled with seawater, carrying a drag-inducing broken foil, all the way around and barely miss the podium is remarkable.

Damien Seguin is even more amazing -- leaving aside that he's in a non-foiler, 14 hours ago it looked like he'd lose out to Giancarlo Pedote who had run 470 miles in 24 hours to catch him and yet he managed to finish ahead.

I'm awed by Yannick's 900 mile last leg, sailing across the finish line without a single gybe, sustaining 18kts pretty much the whole way. Unbelievable.

Charlie Dalin is a machine. I wish all sailors would be as open with their data and communications as Boris Hermann. So glad he was able to finish. Louis Burton's race was glorious. Loved the videos from Clarisse, Romain, Kojiro, Pip, Ari... I'm going to remember almost every sailor in this fleet I think. Edited to add JLC: King Jean for real.

And thanks to you all; this was the best place to follow the race.

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HeartOfGold said:

Alas no. And now he's running at 8.6kts, averaging 11.1kts over the last 4 hours. Hopefully nothing's wrong and he's just waiting for the LP to pass. I guess he's decided to settle for 11th and having been fastest from equator to equator? :-/  I'm not convinced that his routing is the problem, but I'm certainly no expert.

On a different note, I haven't seen very much love for Thomas Ruyant in the posts here, and I think his race showed absolutely amazing seamanship: to bring a boat that was at one point half filled with seawater, carrying a drag-inducing broken foil, all the way around and barely miss the podium is remarkable.

Damien Seguin is even more amazing -- leaving aside that he's in a non-foiler, 14 hours ago it looked like he'd lose out to Giancarlo Pedote who had run 470 miles in 24 hours to catch him and yet he managed to finish ahead.

I'm awed by Yannick's 900 mile last leg, sailing across the finish line without a single gybe, sustaining 18kts pretty much the whole way. Unbelievable.

Charlie Dalin is a machine. I wish all sailors would be as open with their data and communications as Boris Hermann. So glad he was able to finish. Louis Burton's race was glorious. Loved the videos from Clarisse, Romain, Kojiro, Pip, Ari... I'm going to remember almost every sailor in this fleet I think.

And thanks to you all; this was the best place to follow the race.

I think this race has had so much to give that it's been almost impossible to absorb everything as it happened - I definitely plan to keep reviewing the videos and reports from during the race over the next few weeks (plus of course continuing to follow those still out there).

It's been phenomenal - from the races for 1st place to the tales of seamanship and true adventurism throughout the fleet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Matagi said:

German tabloid 'BILD' now also reporting that this is the fishing vessel Boris Hermann collided with:

4,w=993,q=high,c=0.bild.jpg

Link

Oh the irony, if that is indeed the one.

 

Is the boat name really <something> BustD?

Link to post
Share on other sites