Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The question of foils.  I'm sure it has been brought up before, but now, looking at the finishers, would be a good time to think on this again. 

It looks like 9 boats will finish within 24 hours (or so) of which 3 don't have foils.  This, in itself would not be an endorsement for foils because it's safe to say that the best financed boats, with the best skippers, have foils (in general).

And then of the 8 boats that retired (and 9 boats that I think we can include if we consider that Boris would have had to retire if the damage had occurred any earlier) 8 of them have foils. 

I was a very early champion of foils (as you can see in my book) but now, looking at it overall, I wonder if they are really beneficial to the racing overall. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

End of the day there will be some inquiry and facts will be laid out.

Looking at the damage it would seem Boris hit at an angle (given the bow pulpit damage, the scraps and the damaged foil.).  Thank goodness for that since I'm sure he was hualing the mail.  Since Boris was a sleep I can imagine two options.

1 - Captain/crew of the fishing vessel never saw the IMOCA 60 screaming up and the hit was a surprise to both, but angle on the bows allowed for Boris to bounce/scrape off.

2 - Captain/crew of the fishing vessel only saw the IMOCA 60 at the last moment and was able to turn away enough that the hit was oblique and allowed Boris to bounce scrape off.

Eventually there will some blame establish because insurance would require it.  Alert systems will be inspected and hopefully Race Organizers may review the safety of having RTW Ocean racers screaming through busy fishing/commercial lanes at night at speeds most boat owners are not use too.  One thought is have a finish further off shore to reduce traffic potentials, have RC boats out to try and keep boats off incoming routes, or in solo racing, indicate skippers cannot sleep x hours or y distance from finish so they may hold a better look out.

Not tossing shade at Boris at all for he slept thinking he system would protect him and like pilots, you need to trust your instruments when that is all you have.  I am happy Boris finished instead of anything worse and the rest, well it will come in its due time.

Now, lets think we are on the fishing vessel slowly trawling a big apparatus. The IMOCA lights, low on the water appear at a very short distance. -quickly covered by the other boat travelling at  20 knots . Hard to make any significant move.

Had to make any guess without knowing  if the fishing vessel was actually fishing (given the location there is a high probablility) and which course it was running v/s Boris's course.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Foolish said:

I was a very early champion of foils (as you can see in my book) but now, looking at it overall, I wonder if they are really beneficial to the racing overall.

I don't think turning back the clock is possible. What i expect is the foils being less extreme for RTW races like the Vendee. Somewhere between newest and previous generation. All of that also depending if 2020 is deemed to be usual or the new norm regarding weather in the south.

 

38 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

One thought is have a finish further off shore to reduce traffic potentials, have RC boats out to try and keep boats off incoming routes, or in solo racing, indicate skippers cannot sleep x hours or y distance from finish so they may hold a better look out.

 

I think that is unrealistic with a start and finish where it currently is. There will always be close proximity to land several times along the route. You have to keep in mind that the accident occured some 90nm from the finish so nowhere really close to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

I don't think turning back the clock is possible. What i expect is the foils being less extreme for RTW races like the Vendee. Somewhere between newest and previous generation. All of that also depending if 2020 is deemed to be usual or the new norm regarding weather in the south.

 

 

Interesting.  I think there will be a further evolution of the foil and keel package and a change in the class rules to allow rudder borne foils to increase foil borne stability.

To paraphrase Cam, they can foil very fast, up to 30 knots, the problem is you don't know what is going to happen at the end!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Better images of Malizia

2.jpg

3.jpg

 

Regarding the damage of the foil, Boris said in one interview that the integrity of the boat is not affected. Looking at the videos, you can see that the tip of the foil is wobbling in all directions, but the root does not move. So hopefully, the foil case is not damaged. It is only a 300k USD foil to replace.... :ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like JLC will beat Boris by about one hour if i calculated correctly.

Boris finish time 10:19:45 UTC + 10:15h more redress = 20:34:45 UTC target to beat for JLC. At 18:00:00 UTC he has 21nm to go at currently 17kn. So around 1.5 hours to go will mean he finishes around 19:30 UTC.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Foolish said:

The question of foils.  I'm sure it has been brought up before, but now, looking at the finishers, would be a good time to think on this again. 

It looks like 9 boats will finish within 24 hours (or so) of which 3 don't have foils.  This, in itself would not be an endorsement for foils because it's safe to say that the best financed boats, with the best skippers, have foils (in general).

And then of the 8 boats that retired (and 9 boats that I think we can include if we consider that Boris would have had to retire if the damage had occurred any earlier) 8 of them have foils. 

I was a very early champion of foils (as you can see in my book) but now, looking at it overall, I wonder if they are really beneficial to the racing overall. 

A similar argument (that the best funded boats have foils so have finished top) can be made to retirements, the top skippers push the hardest, break the most things. The middle of the pack are always conservative because their aim is to finish, not to win. And the tail end sometimes break due to lack of budget, and we've seen the same here, the middle of the fleet are managing their breakages and trying to finish, the top lost some big names early on through maybe pushing too hard, and the trailing pack lost a few through plain old breakages.

You also have to remember the top 5 are all foilers in a year that has not favoured the fleet condition wise. Those boats will come back, people buy performing boats and the most foil optimised will not perform well if you remove the foils.

16 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

I don't think turning back the clock is possible. What i expect is the foils being less extreme for RTW races like the Vendee. Somewhere between newest and previous generation. All of that also depending if 2020 is deemed to be usual or the new norm regarding weather in the south.

I agree here, I think there will be more control of foils to limit breakage, isn't the class meeting to discuss foil size limits?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

interestingly JLC hasn't crossed his own track yet, consistent with his tactics to sail shortest routes in this edition

I'm not sure if he's the only one not to cross it and was to lazy to check it out

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Laurent said:

 

Regarding the damafe of the foil, Boris said in one interview that the integrity of the boat is not affected. Looking at the videos, you can see that the tip of the foil is wobbling in all directions, but the root does not move. So hopefully, the foil case is not damaged. It is only a 300k USD foil to replace.... :ph34r:

I still struggle to understand the accident. The Spanish Fish(H)erman said in the interview he was fishing on port side with all lights on. Boris´ damage is on starboard. So they were going same direction, but with a decent angle, otherwise the bowsprit would not have been ripped off. Correct?

So Boris approached from port stern side and crashed somewhere midship into the fishing boat. This also explains the picture of the twisted rail. Then he slipped along the port side, his foil crashed into hull of the fishing boat and broke. The mast/ starboard shrout somehow gets tangled with his cranes/ fishing gear and also breaks. Boris wakes up and jumps on deck.

But what happens next?

Mr. Fis(H)erman says Boris did not speak a word to him? Really hard to believe! He also claims his AIS was turned on (from personal experience I know that they tend to turn them off, also radar etc. because they get too many signals/alarms when fishing close by others...). The boat is massive steal, 25 years old. Any radar/ Oscar etc will see it miles ahead.  

EDIT: And when you look at the pics from the fishing boat the fishing gear to me does not look a lot more robust to me than a highroad rig of an IMOCA: But the captain does not mention any damage to his boat.

Really strange..... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, steinbrenner said:

interestingly JLC hasn't crossed his own track yet, consistent with his tactics to sail shortest routes in this edition

I'm not sure if he's the only one not to cross it and was to lazy to check it out

Yannick didn't cross his own track either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dayracer said:

I still struggle to understand the accident. The Spanish Fish(H)erman said in the interview he was fishing on port side with all lights on. Boris´ damage is on starboard. So they were going same direction, but with a decent angle, otherwise the bowsprit would not have been ripped off. Correct?

So Boris approached from port stern side and crashed somewhere midship into the fishing boat. This also explains the picture of the twisted rail. Then he slipped along the port side, his foil crashed into hull of the fishing boat and broke. The mast/ starboard shrout somehow gets tangled with his cranes/ fishing gear and also breaks. Boris wakes up and jumps on deck.

But what happens next?

Mr. Fis(H)erman says Boris did not speak a word to him? Really hard to believe! He also claims his AIS was turned on (from personal experience I know that they tend to turn them off, also radar etc. because they get too many signals/alarms when fishing close by others...). The boat is massive steal, 25 years old. Any radar/ Oscar etc will see it miles ahead.  

Really strange..... 

The bowsprit of Boris' boat WAS ripped off...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I didn't have time to follow up on the calculations today (work is a bitch), basically what place is JLC aiming for right now ?

From the ranking on the official website, if JLC arrives before 20:57 local time, he is 5th. (Thomas Ruyant is currently 5th with arrival time of 4:42 AM and JLC has a 16:15 compensation...)

As I write, it is 7:30 PM local time. He is 13.7 nm from the finish, sailing at 15.7 knots. So doable!!

If he arrives before 3:23 AM tomorrow morning local time, he is 6th.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

A similar argument (that the best funded boats have foils so have finished top) can be made to retirements, the top skippers push the hardest, break the most things.

Yes, there is certainly more to consider than just finishing position alone.  Like how do the sponsors feel when their multi million dollar investment drops out of the race early? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From the higher resolution photos it doesn't look like any big hull cracks at the foil. Just ropes down the hull and under the foil (probably to stabilize the outrigger)

The fishing boat sure doesn't look like wood to me. The superstructure looks like typical metal construction shapes

Link to post
Share on other sites

King Cam about to take 4th? Seems like he's eariler than they thought he would be so no live stream?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JonRowe said:

King Cam about to take 4th? Seems like he's eariler than they thought he would be so no live stream?

Vendee Globe dot org going live soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Zonker said:

..

The fishing boat sure doesn't look like wood to me. The superstructure looks like typical metal construction shapes

Well I can't say I am certain and you are right, the deckhouse looks conventional - it was the white rail that appears to show plank lines and the general hull style that made me suspect wood.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Idlegreg said:

Well I can't say I am certain and you are right, the deckhouse looks conventional - it was the white rail that appears to show plank lines and the general hull style that made me suspect wood.

So I looked for other photos and I am clearly wrong it is very much metal so no idea why Boris's Radar did not see it..

1087403.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they said something about the conditions being too rough for live shots?  Seb Josse seems to be radio-ing in from some sort of boat, but he sounded like he was underwater (hopefully not )

 

Edit to add: Tracker shows him across the line.

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO I think Boris had a glancing blow with the fishing boat and only had contact with the bow/bowsprit and foil. Perhaps with the cap shroud snagging as he slid off. Otherwise I think he would've lost the outrigger and rig.

I find it hard to believe he wouldn't make contact with the fishing vessel before continuing on but I suppose adrenaline could kick-in and his focus on the race could take over reasonable logic. The fishing vessel would obviously be covering their ass saying all lights and AIS were on: They'll probably also say they were trying to avoid collision the best they could and they were trying to hail on VHF.

I cringed when Boris admitted to being asleep in the video. Whether the fishing vessel was engaged in fishing/trawling or not it would've been way better to play the single-handed unable to maneuver in the time allowed with no radar/AIS contact card. Glad things turned out OK but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets taken to the cleaners for this incident.

I love these races and the challenge of single-handed distance sailing but the reality of not being able to maintain a proper watch is a massive liability. AIS, Radar, OSCAR, alarms, etc. are just best available means to augment human eyes. It's one thing to be in a 30ft 5ktsb where the likelihood of killing people is much lower and you can technically keep a reasonable watch with 20min naps: But a 60ft IMOCA going 20kts can do some fatal damage to coastal fishing boats or recreational craft and you can't sleep much more than 5-10 minutes at speed and keep a proper lookout.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

Now with JLC's own cam and he looks like a wet dog :)

Indeed, a shitty cam and/or data stream

image.thumb.png.308e4183ed0a4a16433c07ca93f9b130.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, climenuts said:

IMHO I think Boris had a glancing blow with the fishing boat and only had contact with the bow/bowsprit and foil. Perhaps with the cap shroud snagging as he slid off. Otherwise I think he would've lost the outrigger and rig.

I find it hard to believe he wouldn't make contact with the fishing vessel before continuing on but I suppose adrenaline could kick-in and his focus on the race could take over reasonable logic. The fishing vessel would obviously be covering their ass saying all lights and AIS were on: They'll probably also say they were trying to avoid collision the best they could and they were trying to hail on VHF.

I cringed when Boris admitted to being asleep in the video. Whether the fishing vessel was engaged in fishing/trawling or not it would've been way better to play the single-handed unable to maneuver in the time allowed with no radar/AIS contact card. Glad things turned out OK but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets taken to the cleaners for this incident.

I love these races and the challenge of single-handed distance sailing but the reality of not being able to maintain a proper watch is a massive liability. AIS, Radar, OSCAR, alarms, etc. are just best available means to augment human eyes. It's one thing to be in a 30ft 5ktsb where the likelihood of killing people is much lower and you can technically keep a reasonable watch with 20min naps: But a 60ft IMOCA going 20kts can do some fatal damage to coastal fishing boats or recreational craft and you can't sleep much more than 5-10 minutes at speed and keep a proper lookout.

So do you propose the skippers don't sleep at all?

Link to post
Share on other sites

JLC looks exhausted.  Finally.  Takes a whole RTW race to wear him out.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

I'm not getting a lot out of the French Live with no visuals, but I think someone just compared JLC to Keith Richards.

Kinda works.

Comparison done by a British journalist talking to Roland Jourdain, a.k.a Bilou.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyhooo, Well done Jean. The veteran. 

And hope the big name sponsors come cap-in-hand for 2024, even if this edition will be a hard act to follow.

And congrats to the many many small sponsors who backed you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Interesting.  I think there will be a further evolution of the foil and keel package and a change in the class rules to allow rudder borne foils to increase foil borne stability.

 

Not gonna happen before 2025 at best

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Foolish said:

The question of foils.  I'm sure it has been brought up before, but now, looking at the finishers, would be a good time to think on this again. 

It looks like 9 boats will finish within 24 hours (or so) of which 3 don't have foils.  This, in itself would not be an endorsement for foils because it's safe to say that the best financed boats, with the best skippers, have foils (in general).

And then of the 8 boats that retired (and 9 boats that I think we can include if we consider that Boris would have had to retire if the damage had occurred any earlier) 8 of them have foils. 

I was a very early champion of foils (as you can see in my book) but now, looking at it overall, I wonder if they are really beneficial to the racing overall. 

 

I think the extreme foils have proved to be too large and powerful. In some conditions the fact that they cannot be fully depowored has meant the boats had to back of more than those without or with smaller foils. 

 

I think we will see the fleet go towards fully retractable foils.  The corum and hugo boss solution looked really good to me. But the l'occitane design might be an alternative.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO the scow bow, or at least a more flared bow, may come into fashion to avoid burying the bow in a following sea.  If they can keep the bow up, they can push harder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, crashtack said:

So do you propose the skippers don't sleep at all?

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying single-handed distance sailing is a grey area leaning heavily to being non-compliant to the Colregs and it's a massive liability to organizers and participants.

This collision could be precedent setting once lawyers are involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good summary of JLC's 4th place in his 5th VG (unsigned, but sounds like Andi wrote this)

Quote

After his second place behind Vincent Riou in 2004-5 this is Le Cam’s second best result on the Vendée Globe and – ironically – improves on his sixth in the last edition on the same boat.
It is a remarkable achievement, reflecting a very smooth and accomplished route all the way around the world on his 2007 Farr design which originally won the 2008 race in the hands of Michel Desjoyeaux.

Le Cam’s race

The skipper had already said his goodbyes to his family when he went down alone to the pontoon on the day of the start, as if he was in a hurry to set sail, after spending so many months preparing the boat in a shed in Port-la-Forêt. He believed in his boat in spite of the fact that she was built in 2007 and very few people chose her as one of their favourites for the race.

And yet, on the day after the start, Yes We Cam! led the fleet. Jean would lead the race on nine occasions early in the race. Two competitors took therisk of entering the eye of the first big storm: Alex Thomson and Jean Le Cam. “Jean is getting close to me. He is incredible,” said the British sailor. The Breton found it all rather amusing. “There are people who think they can plan everything, come out with all sorts of ideas and talk rubbish... Saying things may make people laugh, but everyone falls silent, when you do things. The old man is ready to put up a fight.”      

Jean Le Cam’s voyage down the Atlantic was impressive, with the foilers apparently afraid of burning their wings if they got too close to danger. Ashore, he has always been popular in France, never one to pay attention to what is expected of him and ready to joke about what you are supposed to do to fit in with society. The French adore his spontaneity, while the ocean racing fraternity loves his trajectories. He has the image of a bragger or a wit, but those who follow such races closely know that he is always consistent in his sailing.

His progress would however be halted on a night in November off the coast of South Africa. Kevin Escoffier abandoned his boat and jumped into his life-raft, with Jean twenty miles away. He changed course, spotted the skipper of PRB, before once again losing sight of him. When he found him again, he managed to bring him aboard his boat. “God, you’re aboard. That was close,” said Jean, who must have thought about his own rescue in 2009 when he was helped by Vincent Riou. After a scary night, everyone wanted to pay homage to Jean, including the French president.

With Kevin at his side, they formed a comic duo, and appeared to be enjoying themselves during their week together. When it was time for Kevin to go aboard the Nivôse on a sunny Sunday morning, Jean was clearly moved. “Searching for someone, spending a week together and then finding myself alone again, is not that easy,” he admitted. 

He got back into the race and had to deal with warm fronts in the Indian Ocean and the Pacific, “where long surfing waves are just something you find in books.” He rounded Cape Horn (“it was not something to take for granted”) in 6m high waves and in 45-knots of wind. He would often find himself in a contest with other competitors, such as Damien Seguin, with whom he chatted, and Benjamin Dutreux, who “never eased off.” In early January, he said that it seemed that “there is no getting away from each other. Benjamin gets excited at times and gets ahead. Sometimes I call him up and tell him, what is this pact we have? It’s not working out. You are just doing what you want!” This was not Jean’s way of mocking, but rather his way of showing respect. He appreciated Benjamin’s achievement aboard a boat like his without foils.

His climb back up the Atlantic may well serve as an example to sailors learning their skills. Jean clearly enjoyed himself aboard his ‘Hubert’, the nickname given to the boat in memory of his friend, Hubert Desjoyeaux who founded the CDK yard. On the way back home, Jean explained he was in a good position, as he was “one of the chasers behind the pathfinders out in front.” The skipper kept pushing relentlessly and would remain close to the frontrunners, thanks to his expert knowledge of his boat. Reliability appeared to be worth more than flying at any cost.    

full write up at https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/22033/jean-le-cam-8th-across-the-line-but-corrects-to-provisional-4th-overall-on-yes-we-cam

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stief said:

Good summary of JLC's 4th place in his 5th VG (unsigned, but sounds like Andi wrote this)

full write up at https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/22033/jean-le-cam-8th-across-the-line-but-corrects-to-provisional-4th-overall-on-yes-we-cam

A very good summary. With a non-foiling boat from 2007 only 3 hrs behind the newest and quickest foiling IMOCA's in the world.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jsaronson said:

IMHO the scow bow, or at least a more flared bow, may come into fashion to avoid burying the bow in a following sea.  If they can keep the bow up, they can push harder.

As said many many times, the SCOW is currently banned. L'Occitanne is as much as you can achieve. We'll see whether Manuard gets more orders for the next VG. The design  (bow and foils) has raised a lot of interest among potential skippers, but unfortunately we haven't really had a chance to see what it would have been capable of among the leading pack.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

"C'est la place du con"

I understand his disappointment. 3 hours delta with 3rd, after sailing the globe. This VG makes history for the finish, like last VOR. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, edelweis said:

What did he say?

His first words: “I have never cut a line like this in my life! Why ? You will see. I don't know how I got there it's a deliverance. This VG has been a sick thing. And in addition it seems that I am 4th! "

courtesy link https://twitter.com/JeanLecam/status/1354886165522997248?s=20 (with pic)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For Maitre Coq, every gybe is a chicken gybe. 

This may be been mentioned before but Yannick's victory on a 2016 boat and the generally good results for several of the older boats is just great for IMOCA as it underlines that you can be competitive without spending eight million euros every time. I know rule changes will be a challenge but I can see the class just getting stronger. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stief said:

His first words: “I have never cut a line like this in my life! Why ? You will see. I don't know how I got there it's a deliverance. This VG has been a sick thing. And in addition it seems that I am 4th! "

courtesy link https://twitter.com/JeanLecam/status/1354886165522997248?s=20 (with pic)

 

We may well see some heavy damage later on...

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, climenuts said:

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying single-handed distance sailing is a grey area leaning heavily to being non-compliant to the Colregs and it's a massive liability to organizers and participants.

This collision could be precedent setting once lawyers are involved.

Let's not get carried away as if solosailors are the only ones colliding with fishing boats - contrary to popular misconceptions about colreg, it is fundamentally designed to facilitate underwriting of insurance and assignment of risk of loss and seeks to turn uninsurable risk to apportioned risk. It is no more a liability to Vendee Globe than VOR race directors and sponsors demanding one design boats with tired crews racing into Hong Kong in the dark of the night because fat ass chicom sponsors who have never been on a boat wanted the finish line to be near the shore (which they can't see anyway).

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, stief said:

...

Mistake, ignore.

 

22 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

For Maitre Coq, every gybe is a chicken gybe. 

Funny!

But why did he not bring a real chicken along instead of that tin shit, like this amazing French round the world sailor:

 

Edited by Fiji Bitter
Misquote Stief
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marty6 said:

Now with JLC's own cam and he looks like a wet dog :)

No cameras at the finish? 4 meter seas and a driving rain in 20 knots of wind at 20h00 may explain it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow this older piece about JLC by his wife about new tech, old salts, and young chickens seems relevant just now :D

Quote

“Jean was the first to ride hydrofoils, he knows them by heart, the foils. It is not the young people who will tell him that he is in the rear. He was the first to make very fast boats. He was Formula 40 champion, you had to see what it was. He has been a multihull, he knows what it is but he also knows what the sea is. He knows what the Indian Ocean is, four to five meters deep, mean seas, hard and brittle, he knows all that. Just as he knows when he can throw headlong into a low pressure system off the Iberian coast. At the start of the race, he was also surprised to see his young competitors getting around the obstacle. His wife continues: 

“The first depression they all avoided by saying 'oh, help mom', they say it themselves. Nobody was there except the two old Alex Thomson and Jean… At that moment he was stunned, he said "wait but guys, how are they going to do in the south? "

gtrans and snip from https://a4bsnbvhuot3dzt2slku24f6di--www-20minutes-fr.translate.goog/sport/2923499-20201204-vendee-globe-vieux-loup-mer-rigolard-competiteur-mille-visages-roi-jean-cam

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

From https://twitter.com/skol33

If you are first at the Horn, you have very good chances to win the whole thing.

Benoît is quite interesting (like all the #twailors). Do you happen to have the link to the FR article where he was featured? I can't find it just now, but it mentioned how he is an accountant who as a hobby compiles stats and ended up being consulted by some of the top journalists whenever they wanted to verify some facts.

(and funny pic of the Apivia troller :P)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stief said:

Benoit is quite interesting (like all the #twailors). Do you happen to have the link to the FR article where he was featured? I can't find it just now, but it mentioned how he is an accountant who as a hobby compiles stats and ended up being consulted by some of the top journalists whenever they wanted to verify some facts.

(and funny pic of the Apivia troller :P)

https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/plogonnec-29180/finistere-sur-twitter-il-dechiffre-le-vendee-globe-comme-personne-7122364

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bebmoumoute said:

"C'est la place du con"

143792247_3658325024204407_8620650905551136675_o.jpg

 

57 minutes ago, stief said:

His first words: “I have never cut a line like this in my life! Why ? You will see. I don't know how I got there it's a deliverance. This VG has been a sick thing. And in addition it seems that I am 4th! "

courtesy link https://twitter.com/JeanLecam/status/1354886165522997248?s=20 (with pic)

 

Sorry, I'm lost in translation. What does he mean by con? That Charlie was taken the win away? 

And the twitter quote? Could someone elaborate who heard it first hand? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, k-f-u said:

 

Sorry, I'm lost in translation. What does he mean by con? That Charlie was taken the win away? 

And the twitter quote? Could someone elaborate who heard it first hand? 

"C'est la place du con" means finishing 4th is the worse place - the chocolate medal if you want. Expect it was kind of rude. Nothing to do with Dalin or any of the guys in front.

 

The quote comes from JLC after finishing : https://youtu.be/ZpOh9iqAW60

It is likely the boat is quite damaged. We shall see in the night / tomorrow on the channel parade and in the official press conference.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some better quality photos of Damien's finish, where we can see the rigged wind indicator at the back.

This has actually been a really big problem in this edition, I am sure they will have to look seriously into this. It has been the cause of many broaches and mast climbs.

143792247_3658325024204407_8620650905551136675_o.jpg

143792247_3658325024204407_8620650905551136675_o1.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

"C'est la place du con" means finishing 4th is the worse place - the chocolate medal if you want. Expect it was kind of rude. Nothing to do with Dalin or any of the guys in front.

 

The quote comes from JLC after finishing : https://youtu.be/ZpOh9iqAW60

It is likely the boat is quite damaged. We shall see in the night / tomorrow on the channel parade and in the official press conference.

Merci bien! I listened to the live en passant (while doing the dishes) and certainly missed some parts, and I find JLC quite hard to understand.

OTOH, I'm quite happy how my comprehension of French has improved over the course of the course au large. Et pour les informations restantes, toutes les traductions etc., merci a tous les francais de SA! C'etait un plaisir! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, climenuts said:

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying single-handed distance sailing is a grey area leaning heavily to being non-compliant to the Colregs and it's a massive liability to organizers and participants.

This collision could be precedent setting once lawyers are involved.

Why would lawyers be involved. No evidence yet of damage to the fishing boat, and Boris boat damage is his problem only. Don't complicate things.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, climenuts said:

IMHO I think Boris had a glancing blow with the fishing boat and only had contact with the bow/bowsprit and foil. Perhaps with the cap shroud snagging as he slid off. Otherwise I think he would've lost the outrigger and rig.

I find it hard to believe he wouldn't make contact with the fishing vessel before continuing on but I suppose adrenaline could kick-in and his focus on the race could take over reasonable logic. The fishing vessel would obviously be covering their ass saying all lights and AIS were on: They'll probably also say they were trying to avoid collision the best they could and they were trying to hail on VHF.

I cringed when Boris admitted to being asleep in the video. Whether the fishing vessel was engaged in fishing/trawling or not it would've been way better to play the single-handed unable to maneuver in the time allowed with no radar/AIS contact card. Glad things turned out OK but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets taken to the cleaners for this incident.

I love these races and the challenge of single-handed distance sailing but the reality of not being able to maintain a proper watch is a massive liability. AIS, Radar, OSCAR, alarms, etc. are just best available means to augment human eyes. It's one thing to be in a 30ft 5ktsb where the likelihood of killing people is much lower and you can technically keep a reasonable watch with 20min naps: But a 60ft IMOCA going 20kts can do some fatal damage to coastal fishing boats or recreational craft and you can't sleep much more than 5-10 minutes at speed and keep a proper lookout.

Some people have integrity and tell the true. Weird.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

As said many many times, the SCOW is currently banned. L'Occitanne is as much as you can achieve. We'll see whether Manuard gets more orders for the next VG. The design  (bow and foils) has raised a lot of interest among potential skippers, but unfortunately we haven't really had a chance to see what it would have been capable of among the leading pack.

I would like to see AT switch designers and give Manuard a go. To get the scow bow he wanted, he traded off waterline, essentially raising the skinny portion out of the water. I really like it when designers think outside the box, like the latest gen AC boats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Foolish said:

I wonder if they are really beneficial to the racing overall. 

 

not really, no.

but that's just me (someone who'd rather see lightweight 90ft. fixed keel monos in the AC).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding time allowances...

"For me the matter is closed and I won't be talking about it again. A human life was saved. End of story." said Louis Burton.

Classy guy.

 

And when this thing all started, who would of thought JLC would end up 4th. He IS the king. Amazing performance with an "old" generation boat.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Boris in his presser (some paraphrases and timelinks to fill out the thread's race record of him)

Q: Do you regret 17 kg of extra scientific equipment?  A: The data alone was worth the cost and effort of the trip.

Wow. Likely true. Easy to overlook these efforts and achievements in the excitement of the sport.

Q: You were the administrator of your WhatsApp Group. A: "I love this group .. .  We are unique in sharing this greatest class in offshore"

Q: Feelings about the rescue?  A: "Helpless. Afraid we wouldn't find him. Was I looking in the right direction? How was he doing--was he cold . . ." (and more) 

Q: Did you consider victory? A: "No. Never. That was for guys like Thomas, Charal, and Alex . ." (Really? Interesting . .  I think I believe him)

Q: NYT VG! VG!. Overwhelmed at 34 Kts? A; "That was the moment I realized I was really in the VG." 

Q: IMOCA racing in the Med? A: "Partners say yes to St Tropez rather than the rain in Lorient" :P (also mentions he'll do the Ocean Race Europe this summer)

Q: Missing friends? A: "More and deeper human discussion and relationship during the race."  (Dee, when commenting on the finish yesterday made same point about her and Sam)

Q: VG More International? A: "Yes, See Canadian book Godforsaken Sea. Inspired me to do the VG." (true that!)

Good presser. Good guy.

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damin presser (partial index / timelinks)

Q: Voyage of discovery? A: "Resilience, no way back, nice to find I'm competitive"

Q: Re ParaOlympian?  A: "More ParaOlympians than VG finishers. I'm not a collector of trophies. Like to give a simple message of integration to take paras outside the box

Q: Did you feel handicapped? A: "Yes and no. No, or I wouldn't have tried. Yes, but we all, young, old, male, female, are disabled on these IMOCA machines."

Q; First foiler to finish. Regrets you didn't have a foiler? A: "Little steps. Working up to a foiler. Non-foiler simple like me"

Q: Ambitions? A: "Will enjoy, but imagining and dreaming of the next, along with those who dream with me."

nonQ: We love you and want to hug you. Response: "awww. . . thanks. Solo sailing seems selfish, but we share and it's not finished"

Q: Extraordinary for handicapped. Can you help them? " A: All high level athletes are models. Show the right for all mixes of people  to fulfil dreams whatever they are."

Q: Re Highs and lows, technical issues? A; "there are only winners at the finish of the VG"

Q: Plans? A: " Round Europe, TJV, Classrooms, Did a Live with 300 classes, 10,000 kids, do the dishes at home."

Nice guy. Can see why he has an enthusiastic fan club. Great sports competitor and ambassador. Will look forward to his future projects.

Whew. Not a sniff of the trash-talking millionaire ath-holes or the militant social justice warrior.

Good reminder to listen to Damien and his ilk any time when faced with stuff like this

https://twitter.com/gibvanert/status/1350853356798025729?s=20

 

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Laurent said:

 

Regarding the damage of the foil, Boris said in one interview that the integrity of the boat is not affected. Looking at the videos, you can see that the tip of the foil is wobbling in all directions, but the root does not move. So hopefully, the foil case is not damaged. It is only a 300k USD foil to replace.... :ph34r:

$300k I think more

He said no damage to the case in the post crash video. 

Link to post
Share on other sites