From the tracker 24 hours ago Armel was 300 miles south of Maxime and still south of Cape Finistere. Once past Finistere conditions would have been horrendous and the Costa del Morte has that name for good reason. Shelter is possible to find around La Coruna but not easy single handed without any assistance to find a guaranteed safe anchorage unless you know the region very well. By contrast in the southern rias of Galicia, Vigo, Arousa, in particular, shelter and anchoring places are much easier to find. I think Armel showed good seamanship to stay south of Finistere. Maxime was committed and was fortunate to stay in front of the worst of it. Clarisse still has the option of getting some shelter downwind of the Azores from too bad a sea state. It will be very interesting to see what she chooses to do in the next couple of days.

• Like 3
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

About AIS, not related to Boris story, Charlie was saying in his press conference that he was an "AIS native", having done his first Figaro race, the year AIS class B became mandatory, in 2011 I think.

And that due to the update frequency of the positions, and of the "night" black out, he had to change his approach to tactics and strategy.

I wonder what they will decide for the next one, for me it should at least be  a regular frequency, not time zone dependent, 3 hours ?

2 hours ago, staysail said:

Clarisse still has the option of getting some shelter downwind of the Azores from too bad a sea state. It will be very interesting to see what she chooses to do in the next couple of days.

Cremer has just sailed through the Azores heading ENE. She can't go much more north due to the sea state projected with up to a whopping 15 meter waves further up north. Windy tells her to go north, but I won't buy it. You don't go into 10 meter waves voluntary. Nor will she looking at her heading.

Cremer 300121.jpg

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

As in enlarged?

Looks like it. But a rather free and useless gimmick since there is nothing to track for a bit ;)

I'm personally not interested in the AIS story and as far as I understand, neither are Boris or the fishermen. Anyway, the German press picks it up to have a chunky sailing story (otherwise no one would give a shit about a sailing article) 

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/boris-herrmann-vendee-globe-regatta-fischlutter-1.5190868

And pics of the HERMANOS BUSTO

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/boris-herrmann-vendee-globe-regatta-fischkutter-1.5190843

Including this one of their AIS 

image.png.783c9c324c090508ecfcf44b32130fa8.png

Older articles - both including nothing new afaict, paywalled (let me know if I should copy & paste it here) 

29. Januar 2021, 19:26 Uhr

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/boris-herrmann-fischkutter-vendee-globe-1.5190613

28. Januar 2021, 17:20 Uhr

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/vendee-globe-boris-herrmann-fischerboot-1.5189198

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Herman said:

Cremer has just sailed through the Azores heading ENE. She can't go much more north due to the sea state projected with up to a whopping 15 meter waves further up north. Windy tells her to go north, but I won't buy it. You don't go into 10 meter waves voluntary. Nor will she looking at her heading.

Cremer 300121.jpg

The Atlantic swell isn't that bad as it tends to be very long, so 15 metres is "just a number". Nevertheless, when you get onto the continental shelf (which is relatively close to the coast), it becomes really dodgy with breaking waves. She's got a lot of space before being in trouble.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, k-f-u said:

I'm personally not interested in the AIS story and as far as I understand, neither are Boris or the fishermen. Anyway, the German press picks it up to have a chunky sailing story (otherwise no one would give a shit about a sailing article) 

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/boris-herrmann-vendee-globe-regatta-fischlutter-1.5190868

And pics of the HERMANOS BUSTO

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/boris-herrmann-vendee-globe-regatta-fischkutter-1.5190843

Including this one of their AIS 

image.png.783c9c324c090508ecfcf44b32130fa8.png

Older articles - both including nothing new afaict, paywalled (let me know if I should copy & paste it here) 

29. Januar 2021, 19:26 Uhr

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/boris-herrmann-fischkutter-vendee-globe-1.5190613

28. Januar 2021, 17:20 Uhr

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/vendee-globe-boris-herrmann-fischerboot-1.5189198

Thanks, especially for the news that Hermann and the skipper spoke to each other to clear up the accusations:

There had been a controversy about the AIS of the Spanish fisherman after the accident. Herrmann had initially indicated that the Spanish fisherman had switched off the AIS. He himself had gone to sleep. Previously, he had switched on all the alarm systems of his yacht. In conversation with the SZ, the Spanish fisherman had objected to the suspicion that he had switched off the AIS. "He shouldn't fucking say that," Captain Zaldumbide had said.

After Herrmann had doubted on Friday morning whether the fisherman's AIS was switched on, the North German turned in in the afternoon. There are "no accusations from my side," Herrmann explained after a telephone call with Badiola. In the haste of the situation, I perceived this as the simplest and most obvious explanation, because I have already seen one or two fishing boats that had no AIS on. The reasons for the collision remained a mystery to him.

Kudos to Javier Cáceres and SZ.de for following up on the story. Good to see some decent journalism.

• Like 3

OT, but have to add:

Even conservative commentators describe Marjorie Taylor Greene as "bat-shit-crazy".

(Photo: Susan Walsh/AP)

Even conservatives describe the Republican deputy and QAnon supporter Greene as completely crazy. After the election defeats, the Republicans struggle with the question: How much space should be given to conspiracy mystics like you?

Says a lot: " How much space should be given to conspiracy mystics?"

The Murdoch press may have gained tremendous power and influence pandering to the anitvaxxers and their ilk, but we've sure been  notified in so many aspects of our lives these day about the price of misinformation.

Would also add that space SHOULD be given, enough to show why the suspicions are or aren't true.

Herrmann's 'openness' proven successful, despite the challenge. 

/PA rant off.

• Like 2

About Maxime Sorel during his arrival in the harbour channel.

His deck delaminated. He discovered that at Cape Horn. People have to remember that this is the previous boat of Thomas Ruyant, the one that almost broke down in half before NZ in the previous Vendée Globe... Thomas had to abandon, and manage to limp all the way to NZ with basically a deck in two pieces... You can see the plate he has bolted on the deck on post #12611 above, by Bedmoumoute.

Also, he explains that he had a major crash at Cape Horn in 50 knots of wind, the boat on the ear, mast in the water; torn sails, torn stanchions and lifelines, no more wind indicators and VHF antenna at the mast head, because of the dipping in the water. He thought he was going to lose the mast. 1hr45min to get everything back to sailable...

After that and the deck issue, he was holding back and only went pedal to the metal in the last 3 days, to finish before the massive LP arriving on the French seashore. He says that the race direction wanted him to hold off for 72 hours, but he knew that if he did, he would lose his 10th place against Armel Tripon, and his routing showed that he could make it before the LP. So he went for it, and actually made his best 24 hrs run during this VG in the last 3 days...

Regarding the repair on deck, he did the repairs in the SE Trade winds, without slowing down the boat too much, so nobody noticed it. There is a plate on deck, and one below, with bolts all around.

• Like 14
7 minutes ago, Laurent said:

About Maxime Sorel during his arrival in the harbour channel.

His deck delaminated. He discovered that at Cape Horn. People have to remember that this is the previous boat of Thomas Ruyant, the one that almost broke down in half before NZ in the previous Vendée Globe... Thomas had to abandon, and manage to limp all the way to NZ with basically a deck in two pieces... You can see the plate he has bolted on the deck on post #12611 above, by Bedmoumoute.

Also, he explains that he had a major crash at Cape Horn in 50 knots of wind, the boat on the ear, mast in the water; torn sails, torn stanchions and lifelines, no more wind indicators and VHF antenna at the mast head, because of the dipping in the water. He thought he was going to lose the mast. 1hr45min to get everything back to sailable...

After that and the deck issue, he was holding back and only went pedal to the metal in the last 3 days, to finish before the massive LP arriving on the French seashore. He says that the race direction wanted him to hold off for 72 hours, but he knew that if he did, he would lose his 10th place against Armel Tripon, and his routing showed that he could make it before the LP. So he went for it, and actually made his best 24 hrs run during this VG in the last 3 days...

Wow! Some guts!

• Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 5:06 PM, Snowden said:

wasn't it Goss whose keel box leaked all the way round and ultimately the keel fell off in the car park when they lifted the boat afterwards? can't blame him for not being too romantic in that situation!

Right you were, and a bit like JLC's delam. Good story, and some entertaining bits too.

The boat was flexing so much by this time that if you sat in the companionway with your elbows resting on either side of the hatch, they would go up and down by about an inch with each flex. Our diet was dictated by whichever cupboard or drawer would open - most were by now jammed shut by the distortion of the hull. At one point the water level was so high that the toilet became submerged. This caused great merriment as it broke the bailing by bucket routine: all you had to do was sit on the seat and pump for your life. The more that was thrown at us the harder we worked. Nothing was going to get us down and there was no doubt in our minds that we were going to cross the finishing line. After all, we were representing the Corps.
The state of Sarie Marais was worsening by the day and it became a race against time. As it turned out we only just made it, by cutting corners in the interests of speed. We had one frightening moment when, getting a bit too cocky for our own good, we cut in so close to the Nantucket shoals that I found myself helming in breaking seas. It was blowing about a force six. I could see the bottom between waves, and sand was being deposited in the cockpit. Very sobering and a lesson I am the better for learning. Never get cocky at sea - it ain’t over until the mooring lines have been made fast.
When we arrived at Newport we were delighted to hear that we had come second in class despite all our troubles. We lifted poor old Sarie Marais out to check the damage to the keel and it promptly fell off in the car park. You don’t get much closer than that. The poor old lady had given her all and would not be sailing back home. It was sad to see her abandoned there. I don’t think there is anything we could have done for her - she was an old boat being asked to do more than she was capable of. Perhaps we could have been easier on her during the early part of the race, but this would only have put off the inevitable.

from Chapter 2 of Pete Goss "Close to the Wind."

Sand in the cockpit! :P

(sorry Laurent--thought the thread was in a quiet mode; didn't see your post)

Edited by stief
interrupted a better post
  • Like 2

As Laurent said above, very interesting presser from Maxine (latter half of 2 1/2 hr vid) 

Here's a timestamped index of the EN version for anyone looking to jump to key moments

Q: Why were the teams worried for you? A: Race management told me it was borderline, was risky, . . . and telling me maybe I should wait . . .  my technical team was telling me I should be patient, to wait

Q: State of your boat? A: Didn't want to speak about it since the shipwreck of PRB, sister boats, so couldn't push. . . .  pushed when close to the coast so that if it would break i could be OK."

Q: Are you the same man? A: "Of course not . . ."

Q:TIme to reflect? A: "No, 90%, 105% pushing for 48hrs told Race Management it will work out, . . . to get back, 45 min before crossing the line I was still having a nap a nap because . . . 5 days without sleep."

Q:Historically fragile boat risk--3 RTW misses? A: "Mission was to show this boat could finish . . .  could feel the crack"

Q: 4th Cape? A: "after intensity of the prep and the 1st week intense like a TransAT . .  . . .bored in the trades .. . time for introspection, I call this the 4th Cape, the internal Cape" {should be 5th: getting to the line is the !st Cape

Q: Music? A: "[bura boucle something or other], btw Spotify and Netflix expired after 1 month and I had nothing left." (huh. bandwidth? DRM?)

Q: Physical state? A: "calves gone; ate less in the south, still lots left, come to lunch."

Q: Boat that never finished; what was the worst moment? A: "Worried for Kevin; for the competitors the race stops, and true that we push the boats less after that. Also Isabelle's boat, so I called the architects about this . . .55kts, mast in the water, trouble at Leuwin and Horn"

Q: What happened in your head when you bore away? A: Could have been the end . . .24hrs before Thea one of my pilots stopped working . . broached when I was eating . . hell to live with this anxiety all the time. Intermittent. My sails are damaged,  . . . because the boat was broaching all the time . . . despite having 3 pilots on board"

Q: New boat? Extreme or like this one? A: "6 yrs with V&B, learned with the old, so whatever, will be in a foiler in 2024. But not signed yet. . .  need to control foil costs, but not an extreme boat."

Q: When you were leading . . ? A: "8 or 9 times, . . . magical. . . . bonus"

C: Positive always? Q:"VG gives time we have to tell things, though I'm not a writer or make films, but I can narrate . . . parallel to what was happening ashore."

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

In front of Les Sables this afternoon, 6 to 9 m waves just outside the harbour...

143792247_3658325024204407_8620650905551136675_o.jpg

A total shit creek, as expected.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Laurent said:

He says that the race direction wanted him to hold off for 72 hours, but he knew that if he did, he would lose his 10th place against Armel Tripon, and his routing showed that he could make it before the LP. So he went for it, and actually made his best 24 hrs run during this VG in the last 3 days...

Interesting to read that the RC had an opinion on his heading. They should have hired me, I projected too that he would be ok. For the record, so did he or he would have listened to the RC’s advice.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, yl75 said:

Another yannick interview :

Good one.

He asked the shore team to tell him Charlie's exact arrival time, so he could decide how much he needed push or not to the finish?

And, couldn't make  sense of what he was saying (5 click CC version) about Herrmann and falling asleep, and some text message to or from Thomas. (changed the vid to a timestamped one)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stief said:

Q: Music? A: "[bura boucle something or other], btw Spotify and Netflix expired after 1 month and I had nothing left." (huh. bandwidth? DRM?)

His membership to spotify and netflix expired after one month.... And here is the "music". It is associated to a fantaisy/fantastic French novel: La horde du contrevent, by Alain Damasio.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Laurent said:

His membership to spotify and netflix expired after one month.... And here is the "music". It is associated to a fantaisy/fantastic French novel: La horde du contrevent, by Alain Damasio.

Cool--thanks. What a difference it makes to imagine Maxine, in a boat falling apart around him,  watching that swimmer in the vid trying to get off a stormy lee shore . . .

Another unexpected thread bonus. I doubt I'd have ever viewed that otherwise.

(damn--whew--no EN translation of the novel. Two books behind as it is ;) )

5 minutes ago, stief said:

Cool--thanks. What a difference it makes to imagine Maxine, in a boat falling apart around him,  watching that swimmer in the vid trying to get off a stormy lee shore . . .

Another unexpected thread bonus. I doubt I'd have ever viewed that otherwise.

The swimmer pictures are from a movie called "Papillon" with Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen. Story of an escape from a high security prison in French Guyana.

A very moving French Daily Live today, with Jean Le Cam, Damien Seguin and Benjamin Dutreux.

Around 13:00 in the following video, Jean explains again how stressful it was for him to sail for one and half month with a broken boat, hull delamination forward because of the non-stop slamming. He says that the human being is still able to cope with this type of situation, by understanding that crying can be a way to let the stress go. People do not dare to say that they cry, but in those conditions you cry, and that helps to heal and overcome the stress....

• Like 4

Better watch Andi Robertson's LAST Flash before it gets taken down by the music police

He really has done a fine job making the race accessible to the EN world. Looking forward to his final Live show tomorrow.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, stief said:

Right you were, and a bit like JLC's delam. Good story, and some entertaining bits too.

from Chapter 2 of Pete Goss "Close to the Wind."

Sand in the cockpit! :P

(sorry Laurent--thought the thread was in a quiet mode; didn't see your post)

Not in the same league at all, but we've had sand in the cockpit crossing the Nahwitti Bar at the NW corner of Vancouver Island on the Van Isle 360.  Backless waves with sand mixed in the troughs.  My ancient chart of the area from the 1860's has a note "Dangerous for Boats Hereabouts".  They were right.

Racing sailboats can lead to "less than optimal" decision making at times for everyone, apparently.  

• Like 1
On 1/28/2021 at 6:52 AM, Zonker said:

Please read the COLREGs. It depends on the TYPE of fishing. (and of course we do not know if the vessel had nets, trawls, in use; it could have been just underway)

Rule 3 General definitions 

(d) The term “vessel engaged in fishing” means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restrict manoeuvrability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manoeuvrability.

In other words if you're a fishing boat and can get out the way just like a regular power boat, you have no special rights. If you have a net out or a big trawl that restricts how much you can turn or adjust speed, you're a fishing boat.

But don't forget the the fishing vessel is also obligated to keep a watch and keep clear if a vessel on a collision course doesn't alter course. That's why cases of collisions that go to a court seldom find 100% fault with one vessel. Yes, if you're asleep, the court is not going to look favourably on you. But same if the watch stander on the fishing boat goes to the head or is grabbing a cup of coffee.

Rule 17 Action by stand-on vessel

(b) When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision

Good luck earning a living with a trolling line in the middle of the Bay of Biscay! Apart from sea bass fishermen, I don't think that anybody fish like this professionally in western France. If you have to give way to one of them, chances are that you are about to be in trouble!

I understand this is old or mentioned many times,  but much cudos go to Jeremy on Charal.  He's really worked his way up the rankings to hopefully finish in top 15 or so.   Talk about overcoming a deficit!

1340686760_Capture_decran_2021-01-31_a_14_01_59.thumb.png.abe55da52e1867c8b6090d4c6182370a.png

Are there clear pictures somewhere of Thomas port foil (above is a screen grab from Today's live FR)

I wonder why the vinyl is all taken out, maybe he had to seal the foil exit (or even more than the exit, as it was in fact the shaft that was all fucked up) and preparing for that, he took the vinyl out ?

Caught the last of Andi's Last Live, and then . . . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRXQHwmXdY

"Video unavailable This video contains content from Muyap. It is not available in your country."

"RESPECT" was playing . .. . 

He stepped up and really did a fine job in tough times. Respect deserved, no matter what the music police decide.

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Caught the last of Andi's Last Live, and then . . . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRXQHwmXdY

"Video unavailable This video contains content from Muyap. It is not available in your country."

"RESPECT" was playing . .. . 

He stepped up and really did a fine job in tough times. Respect deserved, no matter what the music police decide.

All these are still available from France, I wonder if the VG organisation has payed some licensing fee, but only for France, which would be quite comical especially for the EN edition ;)

(or the US or North America rules are stricter ?)

14 minutes ago, yl75 said:

All these are still available from France, I wonder if the VG organisation has payed some licensing fee, but only for France, which would be quite comical especially for the EN edition ;)

(or the US or North America rules are stricter ?)

Thanks--not sure about the licensing. I'll try with the TOR browser later. 

(still checking for the Thomas repair pics you asked for . .  nothing in the VG.app yet . . .. will check the vids next, because IIRC, there are some). Searching after Nov 25 https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20544/damage-to-the-port-foil-of-thomas-ruyant-s-linkedout

vid, timestamped

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks--not sure about the licensing. I'll try with the TOR browser later. 

(still checking for the Thomas repair pics you asked for . .  nothing in the VG.app yet . . .. will check the vids next, because IIRC, there are some). Searching after Nov 25 https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20544/damage-to-the-port-foil-of-thomas-ruyant-s-linkedout

vid, timestamped

I remember seing a pic (or vid) of the top of the shaft that showed plenty of longitudinal failures, but cannot find it back.

However I don't think he showed or explain how he blocked the foil in its case anywhere, although I think he had to do it one way or another

5 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I remember seing a pic (or vid) of the top of the shaft that showed plenty of longitudinal failures

Forum discussion started here (there are some FR articles cited, so maybe pics there?)

Example of Andi's best Live (pending today's) From a week ago, LIVE #71

Pete Goss, Sam Davies, Miranda Merron, Miranda and Emma Richards Sanderson, CH roundings 19 and 18  yrs ago, Nemo mast break recalled, Tracy Edwards stories, and more.

Andi Robertson lined up all these 'historical' characters, and cheerfully got them putting this edition in context. So many good topics in just a few minutes. Prime historical sailing goldmine. Shows the joy sailing very competitively brought and brings.

(Aqua Quorum was the first to design and implement the canting keel and monocoque construction, right?)

• Like 1

Link to "Live finish of Armel Tripon #VG2020] Follow LIVE as the skipper Armel Tripon (L'Occitane en Provence) crosses the finish line of the Vendée Globe. Follow them up the channel, listen to their first interviews and watch them reunite with loved ones - moments we are proud to share with you!"

expected in 13 hrs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdpGiHzAF3M

The "AROME" 2km resolution model, updated 26m ago, seems  to give the most detailed forecast around Armel. Looks like he's OK, carefully letting the worst of the LP pass him by. Brown patches  better than blue.

1301528018_ScreenShot2021-01-31at11_25_49AM.thumb.png.14799d0bfb73db8d55de8f38cd88f06f.png

Timelinks for EN Press Conference Finish Giancarlo Pedote Jan 28, 2021 (last of those who managed RTW in 80 days) 
Mostly questions about feeeelings, and a few trolls. Some Nav arch comments. 
Overall impression is that communicating positively is a successful, thoughtful, and deliberate choice by Giancarlo. 

Q: How do you feel? A: "(. . .)" (really?,  reporter)

Q: Suffer from loneliness? A: "Spoke often with wife and kids . . . some nostalgia." (advantages of bandwidth again)

Q: Boat shape? A: "No money, so needed good ranking without breaking. Rushed project with inexperienced crew, knife between the teeth, not a cruise, raced above possibilities, preferred to stay behind and safer."  (makes sense)

Q: But 7th is quite good!? A: "10-15 good (new foilers) Had to accept in TJV they were 1 -1,5 faster. Tech issues, Back to the Future hitting the car to start example, . . . pasta, stratification, Isabelle strong, " 

Q: Boris said it was hard. True? A: "yes, onshore its hard for triathlon, but can be refreshed next day. Yet never get to recharge to 100--maybe only 40%

Q: French = Italians in a bad mood? A: "I had difficulties, lost my temper, but useless to communicate at that moment. People ashore with COVID are suffering, so only wanted to be positive for them: they didn't choose to suffer; I did. IT say, 'You wanted the bike, now you have to pedal.'" (another troll)

Q: Southern seas, regrets?  A: "Always a moment of questioning, so good sign I'm pushing. Sometimes failure is experience, but always a solution comes because you have to find a solution, cannot avoid what you don't like. Opportunity to grow up, too easy to avoid ashore. Like to change and grow."

Q: Pasta recipes grew less? A; "But I still did pasta recipes. . .just fewer vids.  5000 calories is a real job--was a wall I hit and failed to meet."

It_Q: Foils? A: "Boats tooo tight, not tolerant, more trimming needed, hulls crash, so work needed on hull shape, foils are the right direction: not the issue. Ergonomics and safety work needed. Not enough skipper protection at these speeds. 28 or 30 knot speeds" (another regret we didn't get to see the cave idea fully tested) 

It_Q: [no idea; maybe a trolling for nationality flamebait]  A: "Always try to do better. I can be difficult to work with; just my style. NO nationality issue."

It_Q Florence return? A: "Return to family, mountains, dream of return to Florence, but today in Lorient, so back and forth difficult. Friends all around the world, dream of quick travel."

It_Q [no idea] A: "My team kissed me when I arrived . . . . So, will laugh rather than cry."

4a58dcccf1e9d098180dc5d16f036bd1-naufrage-aux-sables-d-olonne-le-semi-marathon-annule-dimanche-en-hommage-aux-victimes_2.jpg?width=1260&height=712&focuspoint=50%2C25&cropresize=1&client_id=cmsfront&sign=2070a253d68823160d526963acad117dc551445f60aad2cfb238b064dc850950

MjAyMDA5YTBhZmNhM2Y3NmU0ZmIzNmRjNDRhNTVmMDVlYzljOTY?width=1260&height=712&focuspoint=39%2C78&cropresize=1&client_id=bpeditorial&sign=ed3a8f5ca4f4dd6a044eb8f52a600574ed95f59f04f8ebc87c3095fa4736eb90

Les Sables d'Olonne entrance takes lives. Tragic loss of volunteer lives in 2019. All very experienced. Locals, fishermen ... Not a place to take lightly.

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, cms said:

Les Sables d'Olonne entrance takes lives. Tragic loss of volunteer lives in 2019. All very experienced. Locals, fishermen ... Not a place to take lightly.

What's the smart move after crossing the finish line, if he can't safely enter?  Take cover behind Ile d'Yeu or Ile de Re?

I've been wondering if we might see him make a bit of a left turn to take cover behind one of the northern islands, where the winds should abate first, until the worst passes...  Then he could finish in daylight and waning winds tomorrow.  But his track looks like he's still routing to the finish.

8 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

What's the smart move after crossing the finish line, if he can't safely enter?  Take cover behind Ile d'Yeu or Ile de Re?

I've been wondering if we might see him make a bit of a left turn to take cover behind one of the northern islands, where the winds should abate first, until the worst passes...  Then he could finish in daylight and waning winds tomorrow.  But his track looks like he's still routing to the finish.

Yeu is quite small, and it is not deep behind it

malizia.png

I love Clarisse, and Sail World is usually pretty good, but I believe they blew this one...

"Cremer, at 31 the second youngest skipper will be the first woman to finish this race."

Sorry Dame Ellen MacArthur. Didn't happen according to SW.

12 minutes ago, Varan said:

I love Clarisse, and Sail World is usually pretty good, but I believe they blew this one...

"Cremer, at 31 the second youngest skipper will be the first woman to finish this race."

Sorry Dame Ellen MacArthur. Didn't happen according to SW.

I think it is obvious that they mean this version of the race.

There are plenty of others beside Ellen MacArthur before Clarisse.

1 minute ago, DtM said:

I got curious so I looked it up.  Six altogether, if I didn't miss any:

• Sam and Dee in 2008-09, in 95 and 99 days, respectively
  • Annie Liardet and Karen Leibovici in 2004-05 in 119 and 126 days, respectively
  • Ellen MacArthur in 94:04:25 in 2000-01
  • Catherine Chabaud in 140 days in 1996-97.

Hopefully that'll go to 10 this year, with a new record for Clarisse. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, DtM said:

I think it is obvious that they mean this version of the race.

Makes sense, thanks.

Armel doing 13.9; 34nm to go. Inside the 5 min update line. Guess he wasn't able to soak it down--looks like he'll need 1, maybe 3 gybes to make it in.. The LP is building. Live is saying it starts in 2 hrs.

Bring her home, Armel.1338278122_ScreenShot2021-01-31at9_22_30PM.png.72727e42a288a73e5242966f462ed699.png

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I got curious so I looked it up.  Six altogether, if I didn't miss any:

• Sam and Dee in 2008-09, in 95 and 99 days, respectively
  • Annie Liardet and Karen Leibovici in 2004-05 in 119 and 126 days, respectively
  • Ellen MacArthur in 94:04:25 in 2000-01
  • Catherine Chabaud in 140 days in 1996-97.

Hopefully that'll go to 10 this year, with a new record for Clarisse. 

Another record to add:

“More men have walked on the moon than women have completed the Vendée Globe, which is all the inspiration I need to succeed” — Pip Hare

https://www.piphare.com  

• Like 8

Jeremie is really struggling to pass Romain, an issue on his boat ?

Otherwise Tripon said he broke another hook for the forward stays after the Horn, handicapped him quite a bit for the Atlantic up.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, yl75 said:

Jeremie is really struggling to pass Romain, an issue on his boat ?

Otherwise Tripon said he broke another hook for the forward stays after the Horn, handicapped him quite a bit for the Atlantic up.

Congrats to Armel on the finish & getting in safely!

A newbie question about hooks, having never been anywhere near boats using this type of headsail gear. I understand the concept of locking the head of the sail off rather than relying on a halyard that might wear out, stretch etc.

The bit I can't work out is how sails using a hook are changed. Is there some way they can be raised or lowered then "clipped in" to the hook from deck level? Or do they just use hooks for sails on furlers that stay up for the whole race?

26 minutes ago, jimmyuk81 said:

Congrats to Armel on the finish & getting in safely!

A newbie question about hooks, having never been anywhere near boats using this type of headsail gear. I understand the concept of locking the head of the sail off rather than relying on a halyard that might wear out, stretch etc.

The bit I can't work out is how sails using a hook are changed. Is there some way they can be raised or lowered then "clipped in" to the hook from deck level? Or do they just use hooks for sails on furlers that stay up for the whole race?

Yeah, generally there's another line you can pull to "trigger" the hook. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

Yeah, generally there's another line you can pull to "trigger" the hook. 

For headsails you in fact use the hailyard itself to unhook (for karver ones at least), once you have released the tension at the tack point and furled the sail.

For reef hook you need a specific line.

Edit : sorry that video doesn't show unhooking procedure.

That one does I think :

Or this one :

https://www.facebook.com/KarverSailing/videos/1795570183790643/

Note : Tripon hooks were not Karvers

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jimmyuk81 said:

Or do they just use hooks for sails on furlers that stay up for the whole race?

This also exists (for the J2 typically on Imoca as I understand), for these the bottom furling part is different.

Karver calls them "stocker" (for stuctural stays where the sail always stays on, and "emmagasineur" (furler) for the stays you can remove with the sails :

KF : standard furler for removable sail and stay :

https://www.karver-systems.com/en/?option=com_opencart&Itemid=263&route=product/category&path=7036_7033

KFX : structural furler or "stocker" for non removable sail/stay :

https://www.karver-systems.com/en/?option=com_opencart&Itemid=263&route=product/category&path=7036_7034

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, stief said:

Hmmm. Who will be lucky number 13 to finish.

Charal will get it.  He's been outpacing the other boat by a good 4 knots for days now and just made the pass.  What an amazing job Charal!!!!  This has to be one of the top stories that comes out of the race.  It at least should be.

How about that 4 pack of boats 15 - 18?  They look like a pack of Blue Angel stunt planes on the graphic.

Good summary of Armel's race on the VG EN side

Snip:

Before taking the start of the Vendée Globe, Armel Tripon was already a proven, top ocean racer. But 84 days since he left Les Sables d’Olonne he is recognised as one of the fleet’s most serene but passionate story tellers, always appreciative of situations which he describes clearly and concisely, ensuring that very many have shared and enjoyed his Vendée Globe.

He clearly has lost none of the teaching skills which he learned and used as an instructor at the Glénans sailing school centre in Brittany before he took to ocean racing. A victory in the Mini-Transat was enough to set him on his way. He then progressed to Class40 before the Multi50 and his spectacular victory in the Route du Rhum 2018.  From there with his friend from Mini days designer Samuel Manuard and the Black Pepper yard in his native Nantes their project is hatched. Together they built this mean- looking blunt bowed,  black, L'Occitane en Provence, with yellow moustaches.

He had only sailed about 7000 miles before the start, abandoning on the Vendée-Arctique-Les Sables with structural issues in the bow area. But for all there might have sceptics who thought L’Occitaine en Provence too young and untested to complete the full course, Tripon has proven them wrong  and along the way has proven that the design is fast and – in many conditions – more comfortable than the other latest generation IMOCAs.

Ahead off the coast of La Coruña

The striking look of his boat appealed to the sailing media which appreciated the design’s potential – as proven in the Mini and Class40 before – and Tripon and L’Occitaine en Provence were hailed as potential winners. And in the early stages he is quick, Tripon heads heads westwards to get around a depression, with Thomas Ruyant (LinkedOut) and Louis Burton (Bureau Vallée 2) in his wake. But the conditions are tough and the third night is tough. The result his hook for his J3 breaks, the sail ends up the deck, there is come collateral damage and he seems to have no alternative than to head to La Coruña to repair.

Meantime the leaders escape and, while the Tripon decides to take advantage of the benign weather to repair at sea. One week in he is one of the first to climb his 28m mast with a hacksaw and a grinder. Then he had to make a composite repair to a piece of the foil shaft that had sheared off.  Sanding, grinding, gluing... Tripon talks about "days in the workshop"….

But finally he get’s going at pace again and starts to engineer a steady comeback in partnership with his boat, all the time quietly and thoughtfully sharing his appreciation of his life in the race. The first albatross "I can see him, noble and majestic in his gliding flight, as if suspended". He describes the scenery from the cockpit "as when as a child you look out of the car windows on your holiday route" and the "purity of the nights where the stars shine like never before". His boat gradually becomes "my good companion on the road" with which he builds a strong, easy bond….. "It is fluid, easy and only asks to go fast".

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Charal will get it.  He's been outpacing the other boat by a good 4 knots for days now and just made the pass.  What an amazing job Charal!!!!  This has to be one of the top stories that comes out of the race.  It at least should be.

How about that 4 pack of boats 15 - 18?  They look like a pack of Blue Angel stunt planes on the graphic.

Yes.  Quite the comeback cruise from a 9 day deficit. 

The "Angels" could be catchy . . .  Pip, Miranda, Alexia  . .  :P

4 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Thanks for the link. 0.5 million for months of coverage  sounds like a better deal than 5.6 million for a 30 second Super Bowl ad. 

Jean-Jacques Laurent [. . . ] reveals that he spends €500,000 a year on sailing and €1.5 million for each year of the Vendée Globe. After his victories in 2000 and 2004, the boss of 500 employees estimated that, "of the 15% increase in turnover, 5% resulted from the Vendée Globe".

Armel more or less said at his press conference that he will do the next one on his current boat (with some modifs of course).

He also said his boat was quite "confortable" or "easy to live with" but not the case at all when close hauled at all.

(but which boat is confortable close hauled ? And I understand that even for close hauled tack class40 scows are ok and at least less wet ..)

He also said he did this VG wearing a string (like the underwear thing, more thong in English I think), as he had to keep his storm jib always on due to his J2 hook issue. And in fact he could not furl the storm jib which had no furler, you can see them them furling it "manually" in the channel.

He also said the conditions he was in in this last low were the worst of his VG ( winter bay of Biscay can be worse than summer southern ocean)

• Like 2

Speaking of Armel's yellow boat and sponsorship . . . Pete Goss has something to say here:

I felt I had two areas of responsibility toward my sponsors, both past and future. I would always do my best to win the event, of course, but I also needed to engineer a professional and high profile campaign in the run up to the race so that the sponsors got value for money whatever the eventual outcome. Winning should be considered the icing on the cake.

Whenever I got the chance, I chatted to photographers and cameramen to find out what they looked for in a shot. I peered through the lens myself and found out how a sailing boat looked at this or that angle; how certain kinds of light made the vessel look better or worse. I learned that yellow stands out in a fleet of yachts and will attract the camera as it sweeps by looking for something on which to linger. No prizes for guessing what the colour of my next boat would be.

from Ch 4 of "Close to the Wind" (written back in the 2nd millennium)

Sam wants to party

I would like to take this opportunity to review the incredible finish of this Vendée Globe, which I have managed to follow since Initiatives-Coeur, and say a big congratulations to Yannick. His victory is well deserved! Congratulations also to Charlie and Louis who complete the podium. Hats off! I followed their races they really impressed me.

I also have a thought for Boris. I'm sad for his collision, but happy that he was able to bring his boat back and finish the race despite everything. I regret not being able to be there with them to celebrate these arrivals. We'll have a big party together when I arrive in my turn.

Nautisme Article
© Sam Davies / Initiatives-Coeur

Safari trans snipped from her logbook at Le Figaro Nautisme

I know this edition of the French live has been shared and time stamped previously but I just had a chance to watch it - totally worth revisiting if anyone else had missed it. JLC's explanation of why he characterized this edition of the race ( his 5th) insupportable was mesmerizing.

Knowing his second repair ( the first failed) to stop his boat delaminating could fail at any moment, and the boat break apart and sink with the next wave strike, and to have to carry the weight of that knowledge for a month and a half, was tortuous.  He says two days in that situation is hard, a month an a half is a "horror" You can almost sense the PTSD recounting for the panel. "Crying becomes liberating" 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Lots of good additional info in that article. Thanks.

Convincing:  "There is no reason to question foilers"   "I don't think we can go back."  

Your boat, a latest-generation foiler, was the right boat for this Vendée Globe?

My boat is really made for this race, not for a deckchair upwind. As soon as you are pushed by the wind and the sea, the boat is really adapted. He is even very pleasant to live with and I got along well with him. We were pretty friends and he gave it back to me because I went to the end, with an honest boat although I sometimes abused it in fairly harsh conditions. As soon as the conditions permit, the new foilers show incredible speed differences. And then it's another way of navigating. It's so great to be able to navigate over the water and access such speeds. I don't think we can go back.

The time of the former was quite slow, however, and the difference with the others was not huge?

Yes, because it is a Vendée Globe where there was VMG (backwind) porter. And this is not the preferred look of foilers. But it was the weather that dictated its law a little... There is no reason to question foilers.

Suspect the same kinds of objections were made over fixed keels.

Best part of the article: "I really liked playing with weather systems, trying to find trajectories. I relied on this to find pleasure."  (Herman, Hitch and many of us here will agree :) )

• Like 2