• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

6 hours ago, jimmyuk81 said:

Congrats to Armel on the finish & getting in safely!

A newbie question about hooks, having never been anywhere near boats using this type of headsail gear. I understand the concept of locking the head of the sail off rather than relying on a halyard that might wear out, stretch etc.

The bit I can't work out is how sails using a hook are changed. Is there some way they can be raised or lowered then "clipped in" to the hook from deck level? Or do they just use hooks for sails on furlers that stay up for the whole race?

The halyard lock is done to reduce mast compression and allow the flex-controls of the rig to work effectively. Running a mouseline also helps reduce weight at the top of the mast but that is probably less of an issue on these than on bigger boats.

• Like 1

Interview with Sam Manuard here : https://www.ouest-france.fr/vendee-globe/arrivee-du-vendee-globe-il-y-a-encore-un-potentiel-dingue-a-developper-sur-l-occitane-7139132

He is saying there are several ways L'Occitane could be improved (rig plan, keel bulb, ballasts positions).

He is also asked if he thinks people will copy the lines and he says he hopes skippers will come see him !

• Like 6

Dear all,

I didn´t post much during this edition but tried to follow all the posts. The reason for my writing today is, that there has been a miracle on German TV. Every sunday afternoon there is a show about all kinds of sports, usually 40 minutes of football the rest about all the other events. Yesterday they sent the complete 60  minutes about the Vendee. I had to reach the age of 71 to experience this. Normally on German TV sailing doesn´t exist. And now a complete show of 60 minutes. I couldn´t believe it.

Of course Boris was the main actor but the show all in all told many details about the race the boats and the sailors. Great.

PS: Thank you all for your posts and for sharing your ideas and knowledge with us armchair navigators

• Like 24
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, ET1 said:

Dear all,

I didn´t post much during this edition but tried to follow all the posts. The reason for my writing today is, that there has been a miracle on German TV. Every sunday afternoon there is a show about all kinds of sports, usually 40 minutes of football the rest about all the other events. Yesterday they sent the complete 60  minutes about the Vendee. I had to reach the age of 71 to experience this. Normally on German TV sailing doesn´t exist. And now a complete show of 60 minutes. I couldn´t believe it.

Of course Boris was the main actor but the show all in all told many details about the race the boats and the sailors. Great.

PS: Thank you all for your posts and for sharing your ideas and knowledge with us armchair navigators

It's great, shows that the race can really outreach. Me thinks there will be an awful lot of candidates for 2024... Les Sables might have to spend some ££ in getting a bigger IMOCA pontoon. This could seriously become a big problem.

The first time I heard from Boris was actually in a video from the Lost in the Swell boys (if you like surfing and adventure, you should defo check all their trips : https://www.youtube.com/c/Lostintheswell0/videos

In a trip around Britanny in a smal Tricat trimaran, they get Boris onboard to push the boat in windy conditions - https://youtu.be/LG_M8LqLUAg. Back then in 2013 when they introduced him as Vendée Globe  / IMOCA skipper, I thought who the hell is this guy, never heard of him ! Great to see what he has achieved and really hope to see him back in 4 years.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ET1 said:

Dear all,

Thank you ET! And thanks to all the contributors here.

For all the German speaking followers, here's the replay: https://www.zdf.de/sport/zdf-sportreportage/vendee-globe-segeln-um-die-welt-boris-herrmann-100.html

10 minutes ago, grandsoleil said:

For all the German speaking followers, here's the replay: https://www.zdf.de/sport/zdf-sportreportage/vendee-globe-segeln-um-die-welt-boris-herrmann-100.html

Thanks. Not sure how it happened, but was able to get subtitles, and then Safari's translate worked too. Looks very interesting.

894889226_ScreenShot2021-02-01at1_47_30PM.thumb.png.9c86a169c4f0486c33f7914b51a5d0ab.png

48 minutes ago, grandsoleil said:

There is also a very nice 30 minutes docu by NDR in German https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNMSPj0hvWs

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ET1 said:

Normally on German TV sailing doesn´t exist. And now a complete show of 60 minutes. I couldn´t believe it.

Of course Boris was the main actor but the show all in all told many details about the race the boats and the sailors. Great

Really a well produced, balanced and moving review of the race.

That was the best hour spent this year. Thanks indeed. As the EN subtitle said at the end: "EPIC."

(again: "Gad, I love this place." So many various, unexpected, and worthwhile contributions to our bring-your-own dock party)

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, stief said:

Really a well produced, balanced and moving review of the race.

That was the best hour spent this year. Thanks indeed. As the EN subtitle said at the end: "EPIC."

(again: "Gad, I love this place." So many various, unexpected, and worthwhile contributions to our bring-your-own dock party)

Now found it in Youtube as well (easier with subtitles): 

• Like 6
53 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

There is also a very nice 30 minutes docu by NDR in German https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNMSPj0hvWs

Another interesting one, thanks. Liked that they also included Seb D, and focused on the images of Isabelle working on the keel.

Rather fascinating learning to filter for cultural differences (I gave up on trying to follow Kojiro through the links to his Japanese media).

• Like 1

Andi Robertson's Last Live is now available for those of us who were geoblocked yesterday

"Today for the last Andi show, it is allstars one : we welcome Jacques Caraës, race director, Dee Caffari, Ryan Breymaier, Mike Golding and Jean Le Cam" ( Pip, Sam, Miranda, Clarisse). No comment about Andi in drag.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stief said:

"Today for the last Andi show, it is allstars one : we welcome Jacques Caraës, rce director, Dee Caffari, Ryan Breymaier, Mike Golding and Jean Le Cam" ( Pip, Sam, Miranda, Clarisse). No comment about Andi in drag.

There seems to be a Magnetic Fields song for every occasion.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ET1 said:

Dear all,

Looking for the 'turbo like' button.

Would love to see a similar miracle happen in the anglosphere. Perhaps when I'm 71...roll on #VG2040!

19 minutes ago, kass said:

There seems to be a Magnetic Fields song for every occasion.

Aaargh. "Andrew in Drag" I'll never be able to watch Andi the same way again.

btw--any idea who Andi was channeling? Thought maybe Mae West or Marilyn Monroe, but never followed up.

4 hours ago, stief said:

Aaargh. "Andrew in Drag" I'll never be able to watch Andi the same way again.

btw--any idea who Andi was channeling? Thought maybe Mae West or Marilyn Monroe, but never followed up.

My guess is that it's most likely Carol Kirkwood, or possibly Kirsty McCabe, both of whom are blonde, Scottish broadcast meteorologists in the UK. I used to work with both of them in the BBC Weather Centre, and can tell you that the two of them have forgotten more about weather forecasting (and presenting) than Andi can ever hope to learn (McCabe was an intern at NASA Goddard Space Flight Centre before attending Oxford, for example). He could also just be poking fun at stereotypical ditzy blonde weather girls, but either way, not cool in my book.

• Like 1

I have followed many Vendees over most of the iterations and would like to hear from this bunch of experts what Imoca should do:

1.Stick with the max performance format and see most of the best prospects drop out early due to breakages and leave to the real boys & girls to finish the race.

2. Select a more optimum platform with several standard items of equipment and allowing a form of foils that will give a sensible increase in performance but also maintains a level of saleability that people can keep up over 80+ days and any weather. Foils should probably be fully retractable and keels should be developed to become completely foolproof, and mast also (not multiple climbs under duress); keep those fluky rudders though we need a Pip to replace hers, that is worth a repeat performance.

3. A mixture where the development aspects can be taken up/optimised by each designer/sailor with their own level of (dis) comfort taken into the computation.

Broken, Not Shattered

Speed Record Council slows /Mermaid II/ down

June 27, 2002

After a thorough examination of position data, the World Speed Sailing Record Council has ratified a speed record of 694.78nm in 24 hours for Tracy Edward's maxi-cat Maiden II, an average speed of 28.95 knots, and 2.22nm less than the crew had originally claimed. Maiden II--co-skippered by Brian Thompson, Helena Darvelid, and Adrienne Cahalan, sailing with a crew of 10--left Newport in early June for England with the intention of breaking Steve Fossett's record of 687.17 nautical miles, set in the North Atlantic last October on PlayStation.

The difference between Maiden II's claim and the ratified speed was due to the last position being taken two minutes after the 24-hour period. "However the WSSRC requires that additional position reports are made prior to, and following the record claim," notes a press release from the Council," and from these our Council members were able to identify a 24 hour pairing which has resulted in the existing record being broken."

This is a record that may not last long, especially considering the ever-growing stable of large multihulls with crew eager to take up the challenge. When de Kersauson sorts out the steering problems with his trimaran Geronimo, and Ellen MacArthur devotes her full attention to her new ride, Kingfisher IV (née Orange), the 700nm barrier won't stand. But after reading reports from Maiden II's crew about a rapid deceleration incident during their successful run at the record, one can't help but ask about these giants is not how fast they can go--because that seems almost limitless--but how fast they can go and still be safe enough to sail. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that at 40-plus knots, a pitchpole or capsize would be catastrophic, and have more in common with a plane crash than a sailing accident.

an old sailing world clipping

• Like 1
WSOY16Logo_87.jpg

THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE
OF THE ROLEX
WORLD SAILOR
OF THE YEAR AWARDS

SAILING.ORG/WORLDSAILOR
  •  

ADRIENNE CAHALAN (AUS) & HELENA DARVELID (SWE)

Adrienne CAHALAN (AUS) & Helena DARVELID (SWE)This world renowned female navigator and skipper duo have proved to be a record-breaking success.

As preparation for a Jules Verne Trophy attempt early next year on board the maxi-catamaran "Maiden II" (formerly Club Med), Adrienne and Helena have over the last 12 months been integral members of the crew and smashed record after record. Prior to their Maiden II successes they were record breaking on "Playstation".

In addition to those successes listed below, but outside the achievement period, they have also demolished the Round Britain and Ireland Record and the Cowes - Dinard, St Malo Record on Maiden II.

THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF ADRIENNE CAHALAN & HELENA DARVELID

24 hour Distance Record - 694.78nm - Maiden II (Cahalan Navigator & Co-skipper, Darvelid Co-skipper), June 2002
Line Honours - Round the Island Race - Maiden II (Cahalan Navigator, Darvelid Skipper), June 2002
Antigua to Newport Record - 3 days 22 hours and 31 minutes - Maiden II (Cahalan Navigator & Co-skipper, Darvelid Co-skipper), May 2002
Fastnet Course Record - 35 hours, 17 minutes and 14 seconds - Playstation (Cahalan Navigator, Darvelid Crew), March 2002
Cowes - St Malo Record - 6 hours, 21 minutes and 44 seconds - Playstation (Darvelid crew), December 2001
Round the Island Record - 2 hours, 33 minutes and 55 seconds - Playstation (Darvelid Crew), November 2001

NAME ADRIENNE CAHALAN HELENA DARVELID
Date of Birth 23646 24371
Place of Birth Sydney, Australia Sweden
Profession Yachtswoman Yachtswoman
Website www.maiden2.com www.maiden2.com
Age started sailing 15 17
First boat sailed Hobie 16 Nicholson 48
Age started racing 18 17 - 18
First boat raced Laser 'Jane Air'
What inspired you to take up sailing? My friends and living near the harbour Adventure
How did you buy your first boat? I saved up money from part time waitressing. I saved up and bought a 35ft Tri called 'Transient' for the 2Star.
Which was your first sailing club? Lane Cove 21ft Skiff Club, Australia Antigua Yacht Club, Antigua
First Event competed in and Year Club Championships at Lane Cove 1983 Antigua Race Week 1985
First Event won and Year 12ft Skiff Harbour Championship 1986  
Principle achievements 1992-1993 18ft Skiff Grand Prix Winner Round Britain and Ireland 2 handed
Principle achievements   World Records on 'Lakota':
Principle achievements 6 World Speed Sailing Record Council Records 1994 Round Britain & Ireland
Principle achievements (www.speedsailrecords.com) 'Royal Sun Alliance':
Principle achievements (those records within the nomination time period are listed above) 1997 Transatlantic Record
Principle achievements   1997 Channel Record
Principle achievements 2000 1st Sydney Hobart Race 2000 'Playstation':
Principle achievements   2001 Channel Record
Principle achievements Involvement in 4 Whitbread Round the World Race/Volvo Ocean Race Campaigns 2001 Round the Isle of Wight Record
Principle achievements   2002 Fastnet Course Record
Principle achievements   'Maiden II':
Principle achievements   2002 Antigua - Newport Record
Principle achievements   2002 24 hour Distance Record
Principle achievements   2001 EDS Atlantic Challenge on 'Alphagraphics'
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. 1997/98 Jules Verne Record Attempt on 'Royal Sun Alliance'
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. 2002 24 hour record on 'Maiden II'
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. 3 times Channel Record - 1997 'Royal Sun Alliance',
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. 2001, 'Playstation',
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. 2002 'Maiden II'
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. Round Britain and Ireland Record 2 times - 1994 'Lakota'
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. 2002 'Maiden II
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. Round Isle of Wight Record 2 times - 2001 'Playstation',
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. 2002 'Maiden II'
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. 2 handed Round Britain and Ireland
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. 2 handed Azores and Back
Detail the personal highlights of your sailing career to date When after 5 years competing in 18 foot Skiffs as the only girl I began to win and always be placed in the top 3 during 1992-93, and now to be accepted by the sailing business as one of the top navigators in the world. 2001 EDS Atlantic Challenge
What are your future sailing aspirations? Jules Verne Trophy To get my own Open 60 and sail the next Vendeé Globe and to run a good campaign sailing single handed, double handed and fully crewed. But first, to do the Jules Verne on 'Maiden II'!
What are your future sailing aspirations? To win the 18ft Skiff Championships To get my own Open 60 and sail the next Vendeé Globe and to run a good campaign sailing single handed, double handed and fully crewed. But first, to do the Jules Verne on 'Maiden II'!
Briefly state what sailing means to you It is my life, my business, my challenges, my friendships and an unforgiving taskmaster. I like the adventure of sailing, the different challenges, being with like minded people, the technology and the romance of being at sea.
Who has had the greatest impact or inspiration in your sailing career and why? Iain Murray - I have always admired his achievements, talent and sailing diplomacy racing and be good at what you do (to enjoy and to win)
Who do you consider to be your sailing hero? Iain Murray and Naomi James Laurent Bourgnon
What other sports do you participate in outside of sailing? Tennis Running
What other sports do you participate in outside of sailing? Golf Swimming
What other sports do you participate in outside of sailing? Skiing  
What other sports do you participate in outside of sailing? Very much a beach girl  
Who do you consider to be the greatest sailor in the World and why? Capt James Cook and, being a navigator, Matthew Flanders! The charts he made centuries ago are still being used today. Sir Peter Blake - he was so versatile and just a really good down to earth guy.
Briefly state what being nominated for the ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year Award 2002 means to you It is a great honour, particularly when everyone in the sport are by their nature such high achievers. A great surprise and honour
If voted as the ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year 2002, briefly say what will this mean to you? It will be a great achievement not just for me but for my family and friends who support my career and ambitions. Being respected by your peers in the sailing community is very important for me. It has been a tough career path and it would represent a great reward for the hard work. Surprised again and an even bigger honour since I did not expect even to be nominated.

Women Who Achieve in Ocean Racing........

Clarisse is in the Bay of Biscay......300 nmiles to go

which is why I posted so many clips of the Ocean Racing Gals Who Have Achieved.     Another to Add to that group of Women that have Raced Around The World.   ....Alone

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.01.16 pm.png

• Like 3
2 hours ago, huey 2 said:

Ugh, what a mess.  But he made a working jury rig!

• Like 1

List of issues/damages that Louis had during his VG :

Vendée Globe. Autopsie de Bureau Vallée, un bel oiseau blessé

Le skipper malouin, Louis Burton, 2e sur la ligne et 3e du classement, a connu pendant 80 jours, une succession d’avaries impressionnante. Tour du propriétaire, à quai de Bureau Vallée II.

Jeudi après-midi, Louis Burton, nous a accordé une visite guidée de son Bureau Vallée, sur lequel il venait de passer près de trois mois autour du monde. Évidemment, le plan Verdier-VPLP de 2016, n’est pas dans un meilleur état de fraîcheur que son skipper. Pire, même, il est blessé de partout. Le skipper malouin, 2e sur la ligne 3e du général, a connu pendant ces 90 jours, une succession d’avaries impressionnante. Il les a toutes réparées, ou presque. Et son récit est impressionnant. Notamment quand il raconte les dessous de l’incendie du parc de batteries.

LIRE AUSSI : Louis Burton : « Mon bateau est nickel ! Non… en vrai, il est ruiné… »

Un nuage de fumée noire

J’arrive dans le pot-au-noir, je suis en tête, et là, je sais que je vais avoir 24 h tendues dans des vents assez faibles, avec des grains, donc je vais avoir besoin d’énergie. J’entame ma partie stratégie, je mets en route le moteur, je commence la charge des batteries pour ne plus me prendre la tête avec ça. Je sors manœuvrer un peu dehors et je commence à sentir une odeur de brûlé. Les deux répétiteurs extérieurs se mettent en On-Off, et je comprends qu’il y a un truc qui ne va pas. À l’intérieur du bateau je commence à voir de la fumée. J’ouvre le plancher et là, un énorme nuage noir s’échappe, et je vois des flammes sur les câbles de puissance. À partir de là, c’est black-out complet, le pilote automatique, et tout le reste de l’électronique. J’essaye de couper, rallumer… rien, plus rien ne marche. Pour moi c’est mort tout a cramé. 

MjAyMTAxYjkwMmEyZjg0MzQxZmEyYzYwOGJhNDlmMzg0YzcwNGI?width=630&focuspoint=50%2C25&cropresize=1&client_id=bpeditorial&sign=4b18bbcabcdd666f29fd186719f78ba3f891bfa9ec7af6af3ac873917372a712 État du bateau Bureau Vallée 2 du skipper Louis Burton, à l’issue de son tour du monde lors du Vendée globe 2020.  | PHOTO : DAVID ADEMAS / OUEST-FRANCE

« A l’africaine quoi ! »

Le rêve de Louis Burton est donc en train de s’écrouler. Un coup de fil à sa femme pour l’en avertir et il commence à regarder vers le Brésil, où il peut se dérouter. Mais avant de plier l’affaire, il tente une dernière option.  J’ai appelé avec le téléphone satellite, un mec qui s’appelle Jean-Paul Siaudeau, qui est le fabricant des batteries lithium à qui j’ai démerdé un coup sur un bateau en Afrique, et qui sait que tant qu’il y a de l’espoir je suis client. Il me dit : bon, t’es en tête du Vendée Globe, on a fait l’Afrique ensemble, donc il va bien falloir qu’on trouve une solution. A l’africaine quoi ! Il me donne deux ou trois indications pour réparer…. Mais ça ne marche pas. Je le rappelle et il me dit de shunter tout le système et de découper tous les fils noir et rouge qui sortent des batteries, de les dénuder, puis de reconnecter tout ça à des barrettes en cuivre..Bref une effroyable usine à gaz.

Je rappelle que je suis en course, sous voiles, je n’ai plus de pilote, et de l’intérieur avec une main je tiens le stick de barre, et de l’autre main je coupe les fils je les dénude, et je viens entortiller les fils sur les barrettes etc. et là, je reconnecte des fils et ça marche… mes batteries fonctionnent ! 

Je devais sortir en tête…

Pendant plusieurs heures, le leader met sa course entre parenthèses, pour se plonger dans le labyrinthe de fils. Et tout ça en ne disant rien à personne, car l’équipe veut garder le silence là-dessus, pour ne pas alerter ses adversaires. Tout ce temps-là, je n’ai pas manœuvré, pas réglé le bateau. C’est pour ça que, selon mon routage de départ je devais sortir avec plusieurs heures d’avance et que finalement, je suis sorti du contournement de l’anticyclone, à égalité avec Charlie. 

MjAyMTAxN2MyN2JiZjU2MmExNTVmYTU2YjQ4MGE3YTUwZTU1ZTU?width=630&focuspoint=50%2C25&cropresize=1&client_id=bpeditorial&sign=093129429bd94c9e062f2dfeb01b1577196daa40ecc9755380cb8201edbcca32 État du bateau Bureau Vallée 2 du skipper Louis BURTON, à l’issue de son tour du monde lors du Vendée globe 2020. | DAVID ADEMAS / OUEST-FRANCE
MjAyMTAxYmE2MDRiNGEwZThiOTgxOGY5MGUzYjA4Y2JhZmI3ZTQ?width=630&focuspoint=50%2C25&cropresize=1&client_id=bpeditorial&sign=25b90b9170a97d432f49d61d18d3327395288a68207aa0af5157f56c8b28e4b8 L’aérien, l’AIS et la VHF ayant été arrachés en tête de mât, Louis Burton a installé une perche de secours à, l’arrière du bateau. | DAVID ADEMAS / OUEST-FRANCE

La longue liste des avaries sur Bureau Vallée II.

Première semaine. Rupture d’une cloison de la structure à l’intérieur du bateau, en avant du mât. Réparée en 4 h 45 de travail effectué lors de la pénalité de 5 heures effectuée pour départ anticipé. Avarie très sérieuse.

Deuxième semaine. Avant le passage du pot-au-noir, fuite d’huile sur le vérin de quille, rendant le basculement de la quille difficile. Huile à récupérer, filtrer et réinjecter dans le système. Avarie sérieuse.

Troisième semaine. Réparations de multiples petits accrocs dans les voiles d’avant. Avaries légères.

Environs du cap de Bonne Espérance. Problèmes de charge moteur et de génératrice. Réparations complexes.

Même période. Multiples petites réparations sur des bouts, des casses de petit matériel…

Entrée océan Indien. Dérèglement du capteur d’angle de barre qui se positionne en défaut. Black-out complet du système de pilotage automatique engendrant des empannages sauvages intempestifs. Avarie grave.

Même période. Arrachage du rail de mât au niveau du ris 1 (22 m de haut), et hook de grand-voile cassé. Avarie sérieuse. Réparation très lourde pendant 18 heures avec trois montées au mât, sous le dévent de l’île Macquarie, une semaine plus tard.

Atlantique sud retour. Premiers problèmes de fonctionnement dans le boîtier électrique.

Pot-au-noir retour. Incendie important d’origine électrique dans le boîtier de batteries. Panne totale d’électricité sur le bateau. Avarie très grave.

Même période. Arrachage des câbles électriques dans le mât. Panne totale d’aérien, d’AIS, de VHF. Pose d’une antenne de secours sur le tableau arrière.

Alizés du nord-est. Le premier désalinisateur est tombé en panne. Le second consommant trop d’énergie, Louis Burton doit récupérer de l’eau de pluie (40 litres) sous les grains du pot-au noir, et filtrer l’eau, litre par litre avec des compresses stériles.

Même période. Rupture de la drisse de grand-voile. Positionnement sur la drisse de génois. Avarie sérieuse.

MjAyMTAxOWNkOTk5MDIxZDRjMWIyMGU5MjliMDQ3ODJmYjZiOWI?width=630&focuspoint=50%2C25&cropresize=1&client_id=bpeditorial&sign=4372db7df03cb98ffc67b7b083bc20ec6996ff2c910b45e4c9b218574617689b Louis Burton, le skipper du bateau Bureau Vallée 2 et son équipe technique qui lui a apporté une aide précieuse dans ses soucis techniques. | OUEST-FRANCE

•  

https://www.ouest-france.fr/vendee-globe/vendee-globe-autopsie-de-bureau-vallee-un-bel-oiseau-blesse-7137757

(paywall)

• Like 3

Top 10 times for the Vendée :

1. Armel Le Cleac'h - 2017

2. Alex Thompson - 2017

3. François Gabart - 2013

4. Armel Le Cleac'h - 2013

5. Jérémie Beyou - 2017

6. Jean-Pierre Dick - 2017

7. Yann Eliès - 2017

8. Yannick Bestaven - 2021

9. Jean Le Cam - 2017

10. Charlie Dalin - 2021

Source : https://twitter.com/CapVG20/status/1356522229400563713?s=20

• Like 3
4 hours ago, maartenvr said:

I have followed many Vendees over most of the iterations and would like to hear from this bunch of experts what Imoca should do:

1.Stick with the max performance format and see most of the best prospects drop out early due to breakages and leave to the real boys & girls to finish the race.

2. Select a more optimum platform with several standard items of equipment and allowing a form of foils that will give a sensible increase in performance but also maintains a level of saleability that people can keep up over 80+ days and any weather. Foils should probably be fully retractable and keels should be developed to become completely foolproof, and mast also (not multiple climbs under duress); keep those fluky rudders though we need a Pip to replace hers, that is worth a repeat performance.

3. A mixture where the development aspects can be taken up/optimised by each designer/sailor with their own level of (dis) comfort taken into the computation.

They are not in your 'max performance format', there are already one design masts and keeps. Interceptors are banned, as is Kevlar Nomex.

The lock issues seen this addition has never been seen before, but locks have been used since the early 2000s. 

3. is actually where they are already. The Class being run by the skippers is the best form of self policing. 

I would not be surprised to see restrictions on foils.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Potter said:

I would not be surprised to see restrictions on foils.

Restrictions have already been anounced, details to follow, but word on the pontoons is that the max foil size will roughly be what we saw on Charal or L'Occitanne.

1 hour ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Top 10 times for the Vendée :

1. Armel Le Cleac'h - 2017

2. Alex Thompson - 2017

3. François Gabart - 2013

4. Armel Le Cleac'h - 2013

5. Jérémie Beyou - 2017

6. Jean-Pierre Dick - 2017

7. Yann Eliès - 2017

8. Yannick Bestaven - 2021

9. Jean Le Cam - 2017

10. Charlie Dalin - 2021

Source : https://twitter.com/CapVG20/status/1356522229400563713?s=20

So am I right in saying that the 2012 boat of Armel Le Cleac’h went round slower in 2016 with foils fitted and Jeremie Beyou as skipper than it did with straight dagger boards in 2012 despite the fact that 2016 was a record breaking VG? (Boat now Initiatives Coers with Sam Davies as skipper)

1 hour ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Restrictions have already been anounced, details to follow, but word on the pontoons is that the max foil size will roughly be what we saw on Charal or L'Occitanne.

Maximum foil size will be defined as max righting moment from what I understand (so could be very long and thin, or bigger cord and shorter), where is the interview where they were talking about 8 m3 maximum ? I cannot find it back, it was an Antoine Mermod interview I think.

15 minutes ago, plugger said:

I didn’t realise Thomas has a busted sprit??  When did that happen during the race? 

684A6E70-579D-417B-97FD-1BCD8D7E3C89.jpeg

Happened very close to the finish (around 90nm I think), he said he didn't exactly know why at his press conference, but not collision related at all.

(he was pushing, and also the reason why at the very end he had a big angle to pass the line on one tack)

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Happened very close to the finish (around 90nm I think), he said he didn't exactly know why at his press conference, but not collision related at all.

(he was pushing, and also the reason why at the very end he had a big angle to pass the line on one tack)

Ahhh Thanks for that. I didn’t get to follow the last days too close unfortunately...was rooting for LO and TR after making a solid effort to get the boat built and to the start and after last race...

Clarisse still planning so she can finish in daylight tomorrow. ""It will not be easy to slow down in 30 knots of wind so I think I will be under 3 mainsail reefs only and I will try to accelerate to aim for a finish tomorrow afternoon. It's not easy to predict an exact finish time it's a new exercise! "

Currently doing 5.8 kts within the 200nm/ 30 min update circle of the tracker. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, stief said:

Clarisse still planning so she can finish in daylight tomorrow. ""It will not be easy to slow down in 30 knots of wind so I think I will be under 3 mainsail reefs only and I will try to accelerate to aim for a finish tomorrow afternoon. It's not easy to predict an exact finish time it's a new exercise! "

Currently doing 5.8 kts within the 200nm/ 30 min update circle of the tracker. 

On her way to becoming the fastest lass around the world. Way to go Clacla!

• Like 2

^^^Great picture*****

Jérémie talks about the difficult conditions he is facing in the middle of the Azores and about his haste to finish.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/22095/beyou-tough-conditions

La Cremer is approaching the finish line rather cautiously from the south @ about 8 knots with 158 nm to go.

Cremer-approach.jpg.0939131f8a5e36dcb1771aa19d9fe950.jpg

She's managed a clever race. Way to go!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

Nice to see Clarisse take control of her finish. She has a big buffer both to the next finisher, and the female record. A daylight finish tomorrow will definitely put more light on her race, and accomplishments. Also a prudent move, due to the weather front moving through tonight. 

While i'm sure she would have liked to have a foiler to race around the world, she has done well to finish with a reliable, though 'more experienced" boat. A good example to other people who aspire to race in this event, and others. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Wow, he clearly hinted in his press conf that he was planning to do the next one with it and had clear improvments in mind ...

Does it mean that l'Occitanne goes out the game ?

The article also says that buying propositions already coming ..

Hope the contract will at least alllow him to do next TJV

Occitane: Not too surprising that, with malls and "non essential" shops repeteadly closed in a number of coutries, an international owner would request a severe revisal of the P & L account.

When this company , last week, filed Chapter 11 for their US shops, the writing was on the wall for "non essentials" expenses.

Unfortunately this might be an hint of things to come.

• Like 3

Looks like Charal will arrive in a couple of days, having had a pretty amazing race through the fleet from the back. 

Having started 3500 nm and 9 days behind Apivia .. can Charal be the fastest boat round the course? 

Might increase the funds Pip Hare will have to raise to buy it ;¬)

3 hours ago, moody frog said:

Occitane: Not too surprising that, with malls and "non essential" shops repeteadly closed in a number of coutries, an international owner would request a severe revisal of the P & L account.

When this company , last week, filed Chapter 11 for their US shops, the writing was on the wall for "non essentials" expenses.

Unfortunately this might be an hint of things to come.

Indeed, didn't see that one :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinrozario/2021/01/27/loccitane-files-for-chapter-11-as-stock-nears-8-year-high/?sh=5f7dcb2f558d

However don't know up to when is the current contract with Armel.

Maybe he will try to buy it himself if he finds a new sponsor ..

• Like 2

Course of Clarisse Cremer doesn´t look correct. Even with the huge waves she needs to luff - getting waves abeam. The longer she waits the shallower it will get. Keep my fingers crossed

image.thumb.png.dc9490e316e85234abf7a77b1cc098c8.png

image.thumb.png.21287aaa50dfdd6185e1e357ab0b6b4f.png

image.thumb.png.f646370240237a290c8eb0e846b4d1b8.png

8 minutes ago, Knut Grotzki said:

Course of Clarisse Cremer doesn´t look correct. Even with the huge waves she needs to luff - getting waves abeam. The longer she waits the shallower it will get. Keep my fingers crossed

The wind will turn more south-southwest in the afternoon, so i guess she tries to finish without having to gybe

1 hour ago, grandsoleil said:

The wind will turn more south-southwest in the afternoon, so i guess she tries to finish without having to gybe

She didn't need a gybe to begin with, just harden up as she's done :-)

• Like 1