• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

KISS

For those prepared to think, the time allowaces are quantifiable and "fair". The unintended strategic advantage, not so. And to someone who has raced around the world, believe it or not the rankings do matter.

I thought (hoped?) Charal would chew through the pack with a bit more authority. I admit to not watching the boat's specific weather closely so there is that.

Charal's hull form stood out to me though online it is hard to compare and understand what you see and the foils are a mystery to me.

Jérémie Beyou has my respect for having the courage to re-start the race with such a disadvantage.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I thought (hoped?) Charal would chew through the pack with a bit more authority. I admit to not watching the boat's specific weather closely so there is that.

Charal's hull form stood out to me though online it is hard to compare and understand what you see and the foils are a mystery to me.

Jérémie Beyou has my respect for having the courage to re-start the race with such a disadvantage.

Word on the pontton is that Charal 2 is being built... so we should see him again with a new toy!

• Like 3

Clarisse press conference is great by the way (clear, simple and to the point), the subtitled (non automatic) version should appear soon I guess

• Like 2
3 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

So after all the new design, technology, advanced foils, hubbubb and blau-blau...

Armel Le Cleac'h's record still stands.

Go figure.

It's called "weather".

• Like 3

Heh. That's one thing you can count on every single running of the Vendee. There will be "weather". And it's a big world out there - so there will be a lot of it.

The question is, how fast will the boats be in said "weather"? They were pretty slow this time.

9 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Great Kevin interview !

With details of his shipwreck and rescue, too bad the cut kind of miss the part when he goes from the raft to JLC boat.

5 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Heh. That's one thing you can count on every single running of the Vendee. There will be "weather". And it's a big world out there - so there will be a lot of it.

The question is, how fast will the boats be in said "weather"? They were pretty slow this time.

Christian Dumard (weather expert) said he looked back at the whole race and that according to his work, Charlie and Thomas missed a weather window that would have taken them to the finish in about 70 days by 12 hours.

The TNZ weather guy also said that the Southern summer was late by 3 weeks, which completly changed the typical weather in the Southern oceans.

So yes it's all about weather. At the end of the day, does it matter? No, it was a slow race, but probably the most exciting one to follow ever.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
12 hours ago, staysail said:

This VG and the time allowances allocated due to the Kevin rescue has made me think a bit more about the effect on "fair competition", "level playing field", etc. as it affects this kind of race in particular, where skippers are having to manage not only the strategy concerning weather prediction, but also they must manage risk versus reward, because pushing harder and sailing faster is a conscious decision where the downside of increased risk taking, especially towards the end of the race, is debilitating boat damage.....

I think that Charlie and Louis would not have pushed any less if there had been no time compensation! It's a race after all...

22 hours ago, yl75 said:

Indeed, didn't see that one :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinrozario/2021/01/27/loccitane-files-for-chapter-11-as-stock-nears-8-year-high/?sh=5f7dcb2f558d

However don't know up to when is the current contract with Armel.

Maybe he will try to buy it himself if he finds a new sponsor ..

Could be ... although he looks to me as a pretty sensible guy ......

On 2/3/2021 at 5:05 AM, NickA said:

Looks like Charal will arrive in a couple of days, having had a pretty amazing race through the fleet from the back. 

Having started 3500 nm and 9 days behind Apivia .. can Charal be the fastest boat round the course? 

Might increase the funds Pip Hare will have to raise to buy it ;¬)

I couldn't agree more with you on this about how amazing a race Jeremie' and Charal had after the issues and having turned back!  What a way to make excellent happen!

4 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Christian Dumard (weather expert) said he looked back at the whole race and that according to his work, Charlie and Thomas missed a weather window that would have taken them to the finish in about 70 days by 12 hours.

The TNZ weather guy also said that the Southern summer was late by 3 weeks, which completly changed the typical weather in the Southern oceans.

So yes it's all about weather. At the end of the day, does it matter? No, it was a slow race, but probably the most exciting one to follow ever.

Great to see people acknowledging that this race has been an anomaly with regards to a 'standard Vendée Globe'. I'm pretty worried about all the young guns now trying to sell 'cheap' Vendee Globe campaigns based upon the performance of the older or traditionally designed boats. In 2024 the 2020 generation foilers will be optimised and weapons, new designs will again try to push the extremes, but the deltas between foilers and non foilers will be huge. 

What worries me even more is people picking up older boats and retrofitting them with foils - thank god V & B made the decision not to do so. The internal structure isn't built for them and any strengthening you do only pushes the weak point elsewhere, thus eventually leading to failure. 

This is of course all based solely on a somewhat uneducated opinion but I don't think we'll ever see a race like this again = my god I hope I'm wrong! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

This ties out with the results in the virtual version, FWIW.  There was a split in the fleet somewhere between Kerguelen and Leeuwin.  Those who were able to stay with a system all had massive fleet compression in the system they caught, rounded Cape Horn together, and then fought it out up the Atlantic.  Plenty of boats in that group didn't even have the full set of options, but were able to stay with the lead pack due to the fleet compression (and then fell back eventually in the Atlantic).  The winner finished just under 69 days, and 50,000 boats were finished within 71.5 days.  Then there was a HUGE gap.  59,000th finished 9 days later, around 80 days, as the front of the group that didn't make Dumard's system.  More than 100,000 more boats finished within a few days after that, and they're still streaming in.

So...  You had a cluster that made the window Dumard was talking about, who all finished very highly.  None of the real boats made that system.  Then you had massive numbers of boats who didn't make the system, watching a huge gap open up as they slogged along under Australia and the lead fleet sailed away.  The leaders of the virtual fleet who didn't make Dumard's system wound up finishing within hours of Dalin.

If you think about AT's breakdown, Ruyant's foil, Burton's main track damage, etc, all just before that transition...  Any of them could have made it without that breakage, and could have wound up winning by days.

• Like 2
On 2/3/2021 at 2:49 AM, moody frog said:

Occitane: Not too surprising that, with malls and "non essential" shops repeteadly closed in a number of coutries, an international owner would request a severe revisal of the P & L account.

When this company , last week, filed Chapter 11 for their US shops, the writing was on the wall for "non essentials" expenses.

Unfortunately this might be an hint of things to come.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:56 AM, yl75 said:

Indeed, didn't see that one :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinrozario/2021/01/27/loccitane-files-for-chapter-11-as-stock-nears-8-year-high/?sh=5f7dcb2f558d

However don't know up to when is the current contract with Armel.

Maybe he will try to buy it himself if he finds a new sponsor ..

As noted, it is only the US branch of L'Occitane that is filling for chapter 11 (bankruptcy), and if I read between the lines of this Forbes article, overall, the company is OK. The chapter 11 filing in the US is "just" to find a way to divest from a few "brick and mortar" stores in the US. As the current COVID situation shows, it might not be the best way to do business, if you have a solid online retail infrastructure.

My gut feeling is that Armel Tripon's future with L'Occitane will not be affected by this bump in the road...

Do L'Occitane even own it? I thought he convinced Black Pepper to build it, and then found a sponsor relatively late, suggesting perhaps that Black Pepper still own it and they are the ones selling it?

3 hours ago, Slim said:

Wow. How big is the holding tank on an Imoca?

Even if big that would take a lot of "work" to fill it up for that result ! :)

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Laurent said:

My gut feeling is that Armel Tripon's future with L'Occitane will not be affected by this bump in the road...

If Armel learned about it through the press (he didn't seem to know about it in his press conference), it seems to me L'occitane is exiting the game, and not planning a new boat for Armel for the next edition.

22 minutes ago, yl75 said:

If Armel learned about it through the press (he didn't seem to know about it in his press conference), it seems to me L'occitane is exiting the game, and not planning a new boat for Armel for the next edition.

Apparently, PresseOcean is saying Maxime Sorel is favourite to buy L'Occitanne

• Like 3

Where is Isabelle? She still parked in Brazil? 

The English version of Clarisse's press conference, the voice over translation is terrible, way too approximate, but better than nothing... the press conference itself was good

• Like 2
5 hours ago, yl75 said:

I hope Armel gets a new boat, hope to see him on the next VG in a competitive boat, it really sucks if he was not involved in the decision and just told about it out of the blue on the phone... only worse thing would have been to be told by sms, or through the press...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Where is Isabelle? She still parked in Brazil? 

Looks like she’s been out for sea trials today. Fingers crossed it went well and she’ll announce her imminent departure for Les Sables soon. 

9E2C8221-64A3-4F5C-A40B-9F46F09DB7CB.png

91E938D1-553E-4217-A2C2-13A76DB1860D.png

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ant1 said:

The English version of Clarisse's press conference, the voice over translation is terrible, way too approximate, but better than nothing... the press conference itself was good

why..in..the..world would therre be a minute of "Born in the USA" at the start of that video?  That's the most riduculous thing i've ever seen.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, chester said:

why..in..the..world would therre be a minute of "Born in the USA" at the start of that video?  That's the most riduculous thing i've ever seen.

The music for the arrival at the dock and the intro at the press conference for each skipper was the choice of the skipper; this is why it is different every time. I guess Clarisse likes Bruce Springsteen...

3 minutes ago, Laurent said:

The music for the arrival at the dock and the intro at the press conference for each skipper was the choice of the skipper; this is why it is different every time. I guess Clarisse likes Bruce Springsteen...

Don't tell Ed lada, he'll wet himself!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tama_manu said:

If Beyou’s second start time was actually the time his clock started, counting just his time on the water since that start, where will he place?

he restartet ~17-nov 16:05      ----> minus ~  9d 3h 

if he arrived in 24 h it would be like burton (3. or 4.)     10 h later 7. or 8.
in the moment (race time 88d 15h) he is 397 miles away and sail not so fast with 12kn...  so realistic he needs rather 30h

• Like 1

It would be very interesting to find out which of the new generation boats were easiest and which were hardest on the skippers. Better yet to be able to sort out how the hulls vs. the foils played into that.

I'd like to see the boat development place crew comfort a little higher on the list of priorities. I suspect a healthier skipper could make up for a bit less potential boat speed

2 hours ago, haribo said:

he restartet ~17-nov 16:05      ----> minus ~  9d 3h 

if he arrived in 24 h it would be like burton (3. or 4.)     10 h later 7. or 8.
in the moment (race time 88d 15h) he is 397 miles away and sail not so fast with 12kn...  so realistic he needs rather 30h

And, I don't think he pushed as hard, starting so far back. More of a 'lets get around the globe' in semi-delivery mode

4 hours ago, Laurent said:

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/19732/meet-clarisse-cremer

What if you were music? " 'Born in the USA' by Bruce Springsteen. I listened to it on the Mini-Transat:  it doesn't make sense but it made me want to be a champion!”

• Like 6
20 hours ago, Laurent said:

As noted, it is only the US branch of L'Occitane that is filling for chapter 11 (bankruptcy), and if I read between the lines of this Forbes article, overall, the company is OK. The chapter 11 filing in the US is "just" to find a way to divest from a few "brick and mortar" stores in the US. As the current COVID situation shows, it might not be the best way to do business, if you have a solid online retail infrastructure.

Clear ! You are right

I was not commenting the fate of "Occitane" , but thought this was a good indication that Company secretaries worldwide are looking hard at expenses be it shop rents and manning or "promotional expenses". Everything points out to Money being harder to come in the years to come.

• Like 1

There is a nice race going on for 15th - 18th with Pip not really letting go of that group.  I know she does not have a chance to change positions, but man, she is doing some good sailing.

Unfortunately it looks like she may catch the brunt of  an LP by Monday/Tuesday and maybe even one more behind that before she gets home.  I don't think she can really let off the gas for Didac looks like he'd like a pass.

2 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

There is a nice race going on for 15th - 18th with Pip not really letting go of that group.  I know she does not have a chance to change positions, but man, she is doing some good sailing.

Unfortunately it looks like she may catch the brunt of  an LP by Monday/Tuesday and maybe even one more behind that before she gets home.  I don't think she can really let off the gas for Didac looks like he'd like a pass.

If the sea state gets ugly and the foilers slow down, she might be able to outpace them at the end...  Probably wishful thinking, but that would be pretty cool...

• Like 1

IMOCA boat market news from Tip and Shaft:

The success of the Vendée Globe 2020, which will have been that of all records - of participation, audience , sporting intensity - has a first immediate effect: boosting demand for boats with a view to the tenth edition in 2024. “Before, we saw the post Vendée Globe coming with terror, this is not the case today, confirms Yann Dollo , deputy general manager of the CDK shipyard. The period is clearly more active than four years ago. , we already had requests for quotes before arrival and we feel that these are serious projects " . At Multiplast, Yann Penfornis agrees: "Four months ago, the year 2021 scared me very much, today the signals are much more positive." 

As for new boats, there are to date, according to Antoine Mermod, president of the Imoca class, "three construction declarations".  These are the two Verdier plans built for The Ocean Race , 11th Hour Racing (launch in July) and Switchback , whose construction at Carrington Boats was interrupted for lack of sponsor, but which is on the verge of to resume  : "The boat is not sold yet, but we are currently in negotiations" , indicated to us Jason Carrington, before specifying that he also hoped to build a sistership in the same molds. 

The third construction in progress is a sistership of L'Occitane , as confirmed to us by Michel de Franssu, boss of the Black Pepper shipyard who built the Armel Tripon boat: "We are going to put the first layers of carbon in the molds of 'within a fortnight, for launch at the end of 2021. It is for sale   and its purchaser will not be able to participate in the Transat Jacques Vabre, but he will have a year to develop it for The Ocean Race or the Route du Rum." The displayed price is between 5.5 and 6.5 million euros excluding tax, depending on the equipment - dixit Michel de Franssu. 

Well advanced projects

Another project in the pipeline:  a Manuard plan for Jérémie Beyou . But neither the person concerned , nor the architect, nor the team, formally confirms: "We are waiting for Jérémie to come home to discuss all this in person with him and with Charal. What is certain is that he will run the Transat Jacques Vabre and, normally, the Route du Rhum with the current boat which is, for the moment, not for sale " , we were informed from the side of the team. 

Among the architects we have consulted, Vincent Lauriot-Prévost and Guillaume Verdier evoke  "inquiries", without concrete order for the moment. Philippe Oulhen , manager of the Juan Yacht Design firm, announces  " a contract almost signed for an Imoca in new molds, an atypical Vendée Globe project for a foreigner who wants to start very early, construction would start next summer." 

Other skippers are considering a construction  : this is the case of Boris Herrmann , who confirmed it to us by message, and of Kevin Escoffier, who specifies that "today, depending on the budget [PRB is looking for a co- partner, Editor's note], the project is either to buy a used boat or to build a new boat in an existing mold, with the objective of launching at the end of the first quarter of 2022. " 

Among the other competitors well left to follow up a new campaign, the reflection is in full swing. Maître CoQ team manager, Anne Combier confides, about the winner Yannick Bestaven  : "The certainty is that he wants to do it again; the idea is to have an even faster boat, we look at the different scenarios . " 

Questioning phase also for Louis Burton : "We have three options: build, but it is not obvious, because the development involves a significant operating budget; buy a recent boat, likeL'Occitane , which makes you want (see below); and third, which I like, would be a major modification of the current boat . " 

Charlie Dalin and Thomas Rettant , who must continue to the Route du Rhum with their Verdier plan for 2019, are also thinking about what to do next. At TR Racing, we are announcing a new pair of foils. On the Apivia side, Charle Dalin makes no secret of his desires:  "My opinion has not changed after this Vendée Globe, he reminds us.  To claim a victory, a new boat will be needed " . 

Same speech with Sébastien Simon who, if he has not yet discussed with his partners - his contract with Arkéa and Paprec expires at the end of 2021 -, confides: "If I am offered a new boat, I will jump at the opportunity." 

L'Occitane arouses 
envy
On the occasion side, the market will soon take off. Among the latest generation Imoca, Hugo Boss is for sale (Alex Thomson's team did not respond to our requests), while waiting, no doubt, for  Charal , which interests many sailors. 

Another recent machine is  already on sale, it is  L'Occitane , as has been confirmed to us on the side of the cosmetics brand: "Our commitment was not the result of a strategic decision, but really a crush on Armel, with the desire to allow him to realize his dream of racing the Vendée Globe. It has always been expected that the boat would go next. be sold , Armel was aware of it, he had confirmation of it on his return. " 

The Manuard plan arouses a lot of envy, in particular from Maxime Sorel , who admits: "We are interested in a simple boat. Sam (Manuard) had also built my Class40, that gives you confidence."  Advertised price: 4.4 million euros excluding tax. 

On the side of the Imoca of the previous generation, Seaexplorer-Yacht de Monaco , priced at 2.7 million euros with its large foils, is in the sights of several riders , especially those who, after a good Vendée Globe 2020, want to do it again in four years on a boat more efficient. Damien Seguin inquired, Giancarlo Pedote is also interested. Benjamin Dutreux, Alan Roura and Arnaud Boissières have all already expressed their desire to leave with increasing ambitions on this type of boat. 

Another 2016 generation boat soon on the market, the current 11th Hour Racing (ex Hugo Boss) will be for sale or for rent after the Transat Jacques Vabre 2021.  Maître CoQ  will be if Yannick Bestaven changes boats, his price: 2.6 million euros HT, according to Anne Combier. Fabrice Amedeo is setting out on a campaign with the same VPLP-Verdier plan and a co-partner who will succeed Newrest. 

Several Imoca daggerboards transformed with foils will also arrive on the market, such as La Mie Câline-Artisans Artipôle ,  La Fabrique , as well as  Time for Oceans , Stéphane Le Diraison wishing to start the construction of a new eco-designed boat. Count 1 million euros to acquire one of these three Imoca. As for  MACSF ,  it is not for the moment for sale: a decision on the post 2021 will be taken "within two months" , according to Eric Mollard, director of communications. Same thing at  Initiatives Cœur , where partners and team await the return of Sam Davies to discuss the future. 

Daggerboards 
always "bankable"
The daggerboard market, boosted by their good results in the Vendée Globe 2020, also promises to be active: Banque Populaire , owned by Mer Agitée, is for sale for 1.5 million euros - the sponsor, requested, did not not wished to communicate on his intentions, while Clarisse Crémer does not rule out the idea of setting out again on a campaign. 

Also for sale:  Apicil (1.2 million), V & B-Mayenne (950,000), Omia-Water Family (775,000), Campagne de France (450,000). Pure-Best Western ,Romain Attanasio's Farr plan will be available after the Transat Jacques Vabre. Finally,  EyeSea , the former  boat of Nandor Fa, is also available for 850,000 euros. 

In this category, some projects have already been launched for 2024. Before this Vendée Globe, the ex Spirit of Canada was bought by Antoine Cornic , who, with the support of a Niort sponsor, Ebac , is looking to set up a local project around La Rochelle and the Ile de Ré - he will be at the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre. As for Louis Duc, he acquired the ex Fortil from Clément Giraud (damaged in a fire before the Jacques Vabre 2019), which he will launch next summer. 

And Yes We Cam ? " He will do the next Vendée Globe, with or without Jean. If it is without him, we will support the project technically , answers Anne Le Cam, team manager and wife of the fourth in the Vendée Globe. In any case, he is not for sale is a bit like our house . " 

gtrans

• Like 5

Repairs are now complete. Isabelle depart's Salvador today February 5th in the direction of Les Sables d'Olonne to complete her round-the-world trip! She will complete her journey alongside Samantha Davies (Initiatives-Cœur) who has also been sailing off the race for several weeks.

I'm so happy to leave. It's also a great relief: the principle of the Vendée Globe is to start in Les Sables d'Olonne and come back to complete the round-the-world race. And even if you can't check all the boxes, it's important when you live an adventure and tell a story to put a final point to it.

At the end of a tricky delivery more than two weeks after her keel damage, Isabelle Joschke docked in Salvador de Bahia on January 24th to begin repairs on her IMOCA MACSF with the help of part of her technical team. Even if the boat will not be able to be used at 100% of its capacity, Isabelle is happy to be able to bring a final point to this great challenge started on November 8th.  

"The boat is not 100% of its potential, keel will only half tilt. I'm leaving safely, the boat is safe, I just have to take care of it and keep my foot up. It's a bit frustrating but I don't have much choice," admits Isabelle Joschke.  

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Repairs are now complete. Isabelle depart's Salvador (1).jpg

Depart Salvador.jpg

• Like 6

This came across my youtube this morning.  AT had some interesting comments about how this trip helped gather some good real time data to help improve the simulators.  I would agree that by next event, computer models will paly a huge factor in not just design, but performance management.

As an aside, it would be an interesting experiment to  have an AI learn how to sail an IMOCA 60 and then do the virtual Vendee Globe and see how it does.  Run it against historical data setting a goal of finishing in the top three and see how the routing may match winners.  Nice thing with computers is you can change configurations and start it over, test a new foil or hull design and see how it would work before laying carbon.

• Like 1

Seb D  likely to trigger eligibility rules for next edition:

Race director of the Vendée Globe for the second time, Jacques Caraës takes stock of a ninth edition far from over since, after the arrivals on Saturday of Jérémie Beyou and from Romain Attanasio, there will still be 11 at sea. 

Can this example lead to a review of the qualification rules? 
For me, the rule to give an advantage to the finishers of the previous Vendée Globe must change . What Sébastien did in 2016 did not encourage him to sail a lot. We are going to discuss it, but I think it is a clause that will probably not exist the next time. Everyone must be forced to navigate. 

snipped from gtrans of today's T&S

On 2/4/2021 at 10:51 AM, grandsoleil said:

I think that Charlie and Louis would not have pushed any less if there had been no time compensation! It's a race after all...

Yes its a race, but the point is it is not a time trial.

IMG-20210205-WA0002.thumb.jpg.9a57d42c415308741130ba7e73022de6.jpg

Snippets from Isabelle's latest blog entry:

"I am so happy to be leaving. I feel like sailing, I've rediscovered the pleasure of being on my boat and I feel like I'm coming home. It's also a great relief: the principle of the Vendée Globe is to start in Les Sables d'Olonne and come back to complete the round-the-world race. And even if you can't tick all the boxes, it's important when you live an adventure and tell a story, to put a final point to it. For me, it's really a chance and a great opportunity to be able to sail again. The boat might not have been repairable and in that case I would have had to return by plane. It would have been a complicated situation to live through. Psychologically it is important to get to the end of the story, my place is on the boat, not on a plane."

"To reach the Vendée, the MACSF skipper will not be alone. She will be able to count on the company of Samantha Davies. The two sailors, who were in turn the first woman in the classification of this 9th Vendée Globe, have decided to sail together to Les Sables d'Olonne.

Sam and I get on really well. Our boats are similar, we have often been sailing side by side for a while now. For the record, I was the last boat she came across when she hit a UFO when she entered the Indian Ocean. Shortly after its collision, we almost hit each other because we were so close. Luckily there was the AIS system and Sam called me to let me know that I had to be careful. Then she headed for South Africa and I continued my race. She encouraged me a lot, there is a nice complicity between us. When she knew that I was going to start again, she offered me the chance to ride together. We are going to try to meet each other on the side of the Brazilian archipelago of Fernando de Noronha, off Natal."

• Like 7

Following the amount of people on the quay for Clarisse's arrival, the autorities tried to forbid people to be there for Beyou.

Looks like their rule didn't work...

EtIHw2bXYAELDo2131B.jpg

EtIHw2bXYAELDoB.jpg

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

IMG-20210205-WA0002.thumb.jpg.9a57d42c415308741130ba7e73022de6.jpg

Snippets from Isabelle's latest blog entry:

"I am so happy to be leaving. I feel like sailing, I've rediscovered the pleasure of being on my boat and I feel like I'm coming home. It's also a great relief: the principle of the Vendée Globe is to start in Les Sables d'Olonne and come back to complete the round-the-world race. And even if you can't tick all the boxes, it's important when you live an adventure and tell a story, to put a final point to it. For me, it's really a chance and a great opportunity to be able to sail again. The boat might not have been repairable and in that case I would have had to return by plane. It would have been a complicated situation to live through. Psychologically it is important to get to the end of the story, my place is on the boat, not on a plane."

"To reach the Vendée, the MACSF skipper will not be alone. She will be able to count on the company of Samantha Davies. The two sailors, who were in turn the first woman in the classification of this 9th Vendée Globe, have decided to sail together to Les Sables d'Olonne.

Sam and I get on really well. Our boats are similar, we have often been sailing side by side for a while now. For the record, I was the last boat she came across when she hit a UFO when she entered the Indian Ocean. Shortly after its collision, we almost hit each other because we were so close. Luckily there was the AIS system and Sam called me to let me know that I had to be careful. Then she headed for South Africa and I continued my race. She encouraged me a lot, there is a nice complicity between us. When she knew that I was going to start again, she offered me the chance to ride together. We are going to try to meet each other on the side of the Brazilian archipelago of Fernando de Noronha, off Natal."

Does that jib have another clew right behind Isabelle in this picture or is it some sort of optical illusion?

2 hours ago, nogetwe said:

Does that jib have another clew right behind Isabelle in this picture or is it some sort of optical illusion?

Foot/clew batten to increase sail area and push foot closer to deck for end plate. Common on furling jibs where you can't use horizontal battens to push the leech as much.

HW

• Like 2
On 2/5/2021 at 4:56 AM, haribo said:

beyou restartet ~17-nov 16:05      ----> minus ~  9d 3h 

beyou´s timestamp is 89d 18h 55m

minus 9d 3h -----> 80d 15h ~55m    if we count from his restart

that is between place 6  (Ruyant)  and 7 (Seguin)

gratulation

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, haribo said:

gratulation

Moot discussion in my eyes. Due the late start he had different weather so no sense to compare to the others.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, haribo said:

gratulation

Thanks for working that out. The VG site's stats for Jérémie are odd (e.g. 58 seconds or minutes?)

The skipper of Charal finished at 08:15:58 hrs UTC this Saturday 6th February in an elapsed time of 89 days, 18 hours, 58 seconds. He finished 9 days, 15 hours, 12 seconds after winner Yannick Bestaven.

Still, even though separated by different weather and not pushing as hard as if he were at the pointy end, not much difference amongst the leaders.

Congrats, Jérémie. That was a tough race.

• Like 1

Timestamped links for EN Press conference Jérémie Beyou Charal Feb 6, 2021 since vid starts at 26 minutes)

"I Will Survive" music. (cringe, but apt)

Q: Not obvious to finish; optimistic? A: "Unprecedented, incredible, worst memories I forget, but I remember only the good moments. Proud"

Q: You lost appetite-- When the psyche change? A: "True not easy. life prep, brutal fall, have to move on.Better now than 80 days ago"

Q: Overtaking was good?  A: "Nicer to have competitors, catching at Cape of Good Hope, able to join weather system. Joining good navigators. Can't win all the time, especially in sailing."

Q: Figaro helped?  A: "After 9 editions, that's sports. Might take 9 more editions to win. Pride of small wins, love the race even more"

Q: Respect for sailors left behind? A: In the past, little comms with those behind, hide weaknesses from leaders, Michael Jordan play to win, but now sail to go all the way in a project, no matter the prep. Loner it takes, thinks about Alex" 

Q: Enjoying  the adventure?  A:"Less pressure, so more time tuning, eating, sleeping, brushing teeth and showers, and personal story, care less about outside pressure to win."

Q: New foilers in seas?  A: "Difficult to validate in training, balanced boat and loads, Charal and Occitane were fastest, magical in flat seas, find the right settings and the boat goes alone."

Q: Any different prep suggestions?  A: "No, when you hit something, have to turn back. We had lots of prep and training (never enough), not possible to do more, didn't stop at version 1, it's the way our team is structured. Charal boats ARE cutting edge: reliability and innovation."

Q: New boat or change?  A: "Desire to be in 2024, so that's a start. Contract to 2022, TJV and RdeR next."

Q: Personal fulfillment? A: "Yesterday, sun rose, weather stopped playing ping pong. Tuning complex boat satisfying, so many great moments getting the boat to run automatically, comms with others."

Q: Kevin?  A: "Yes, worried for him first, and then checked my own boat. Solidarity. Rescue by friends very important. Time comps good. HE'll be back"

Q:Next few days?  A: "Maybe another steak, team talks, see family and dog, quiet at home, then season starts quickly after recuperation. Eager for the start line."

• Like 4

As Sam say, Bravo Romain. He may not have wanted to call Sam (as he said in the Live arrival vid), but she is pleased

https://twitter.com/VendeeGlobe/status/1358087012562186240?s=20

Rib fest. Congrats on a successful completion.

("We’ll have to wait until around 9pm UTC for @RomainAttanasio to enter the Channel, but the celebrations have already started."

Just watched the finish video of Jeremy and Romain. Pretty nice conditions compared to the earlier finishers. Daylight, flat seas, good breeze, making good speeds to the finish line... My congrats to both of them for a successful vendee.

Merde. That's 3 keel ram failures, right? (Isabelle, Sam--after her 1st break--, and now Manuel)

At 1700 while Manuel Cousin was sailing upwind in very strong wind and formed seas, the stem of the Groupe Sétin keel actuator severed. For the moment, Manuel Cousin, in constant contact with his shore team, is trying to secure the boat. It will then have to put in place the emergency axes to block the keel.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/actualites/22152/avarie-de-quille-sur-groupe-setin

He's 500 nm downwind from the Cap Verdes, but Miranda Merron is close by2037300564_ScreenShot2021-02-06at1_52_31PM.png.5cf34c08212812fd728b16f6e81dcfd9.png

• Like 2

That was quick: the VG posted the key points of Romain's pre-press comments:

Now I need a third one but a race that I hope flies fast and with wind!

Yes, you think about this finish. But you don’t let yourself think about it because at any time the race can stop. Earlier, a few days ago when it was windy and I was still thinking that the mast could still come down. When you cross the line the first thing you are saying to yourself is "nothing can happen to me anymore". I do not realize I am finished. I lowered the mainsail as we usually do with Seb and the team and I didn't realize what was thinking….No more stress. It is over!

For Sam it's tough, we thought she would arrive before me. We called each other during the race, I wanted to tell her about the finish but held back a bit. But she will come to the finish. Until you actually finish it always feels never ending.

I had a hard time, my mainsail track car got stuck up there just before the doldrums. Since then I have been sailing with one reef in the mainsail, I have a broken gennaker, my J1 has bent the stanchion, it was in the water, I spent an hour and a half hauling it out. It was stupid. But that is the Vendée Globe!

We learn all the time in this sport, in this race. We also learn to deal with nature, understand it and adapt to it. I believe that it was Franck Cammas who says that it  through hardships and difficulties that we progress. So, here we are, I made good progress!

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/22154/a-third-round-i-want-to-fly-romain-attanasio

Hmmm. Pip, to windward of the other four,   playing buffalo gal? Forecast doesn't look like it will pay, but gotta appreciate setting up a chance to foil the foilers. 1572364463_ScreenShot2021-02-06at4_47_18PM.thumb.png.f744f437d2b337dc1978bc9df15205da.png

• Like 1

At the very moment I learned of Isabelle and Samantha's plan to meet "on the side of Fernando de Noronha", and "ride together" to the end, I immediately thought of an epic western, and Ennio Morricone.

Apparently, I am not alone.

This hypnotizing video was posted a few hours ago, with "The Ecstasy of Gold":

I had other music in my mind for when they enter the North Atlantic (Riders of Taramis), and after the finish line, entering the canal (Approach to Shadizaar).

:D

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

I immediately thought of an epic western, and Ennio Morricone.

That was an entertaining read/ listen  . . .  though had to avoid thinking how "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" might apply. :P

• Like 1

Romain presser payoff:

Q: This is your 2nd VG, and sat and bandwidth has allowed more weather data. Has it influenced your decision making about your strategy?

A: Paid 11K Euro 4 yrs ago for 3 gigs data. . . . This time for 11,000 Euro I got 60 gigs. Much more discussion with skippers, also more distracting and entertaining than 4 years ago.

• Like 1

Conference de presse, Jeremie Beyou, translated in English...

Un grand monsieur...

He is not a very expansive type of guy... but a very honest interview and how a guy very competitive like him, racing to win only, had to reconsider what he was here for, and appreciate more what the rest of the competitors are doing, and finding other goals.

He wants to come back; and he wants to come back to win... and he sure hopes that it is not going to take as long as the Solitaire du Figaro for him to win the Vendée Globe !!! He won the Solitaire on his nineth participation...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, stief said:

Been a bit out of touch. Any more info on why Herrmann's alarm systems didn't prevent the fishing boat collision?

Last I recall, some speculation about a blackout (personal and AIS system), and radar blocked by carbon. 

(no CC translation on the  Bundespräsident Steinmeier and Boris Herrmann meet for a chat )

Last bit I heard from Boris was the guess that his (two) sails blocked his radar and the fishing vessel was exactly in the radar shadow. But the boat is on the way back to Lorient and his team will look into the data logs. 

---

He just appeared at "das aktuelle Sportstudio", the arguably biggest sports show in German TV, and met the questions of a clueless moderator ("so while you sleep, the autopilot is steering the boat..."; "when you climbed the mast, the boat is stopped, right?"; Boris: "top speed in VG around 35 kn, but I did 45 kn on other boats already" - mod: "but that was on a motor boat, right?"). I was facepalming constantly. Just goes to show how undeveloped sailing is in Germany's sports press. 

Boris was kind as usual though and I really hope he gets even more mainstream exposure from appearances like this to help him seal the (sponsor) deal for the next VG. 

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, k-f-u said:

He just appeared at "das aktuelle Sportstudio", the arguably biggest sports show in German TV, and met the questions of a clueless moderator ("so while you sleep, the autopilot is steering the boat..."; "when you climbed the mast, the boat is stopped, right?"; Boris: "top speed in VG around 35 kn, but I did 45 kn on other boats already" - mod: "but that was on a motor boat, right?"). I was facepalming constantly.

While typing this I remembered talking to my then girlfriend (she later got a PhD in Psychology) about the Vendee Globe (08/09, the first one I followed) and one of her first questions was "so they anchor at night while they sleep?" 

Needless to say, she's my Ex. 

59 minutes ago, k-f-u said:

Just goes to show how undeveloped sailing is in Germany's sports press. 

Thanks for the info.

Re the 'press' and facepalms, the question from the FR organizers to Romain was--I kid you not--"How do you feel?" I was triggered, growled , face-palmed, then laughed at the irony that the next question , the best (about the cost and effect of sat comms on routing), was from a female EN reporter, and the translator didn't know how to put it to Romain. Oh well.

So, if the VG organizers ask that at one of their own pressers to one of their own, I deeply understand the steps needed to bring  new German fans up to speed.

(I like the "why is it called football if you can use your hands?' re football/ soccer)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

At the very moment I learned of Isabelle and Samantha's plan to meet "on the side of Fernando de Noronha", and "ride together" to the end, I immediately thought of an epic western, and Ennio Morricone.

Apparently, I am not alone.

This hypnotizing video was posted a few hours ago, with "The Ecstasy of Gold":

Totally off topic, but the Ecstasy of Gold scene in GBU might just be the greatest bit of film-making in all of cinema.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, k-f-u said:

Last bit I heard from Boris was the guess that his (two) sails blocked his radar and the fishing vessel was exactly in the radar shadow. But the boat is on the way back to Lorient and his team will look into the data logs. 

---

He just appeared at "das aktuelle Sportstudio", the arguably biggest sports show in German TV, and met the questions of a clueless moderator ("so while you sleep, the autopilot is steering the boat..."; "when you climbed the mast, the boat is stopped, right?"; Boris: "top speed in VG around 35 kn, but I did 45 kn on other boats already" - mod: "but that was on a motor boat, right?"). I was facepalming constantly. Just goes to show how undeveloped sailing is in Germany's sports press. 

Boris was kind as usual though and I really hope he gets even more mainstream exposure from appearances like this to help him seal the (sponsor) deal for the next VG. 

Wasn't that bad after all - considering the mainstream audience. Trivia: Boris won the Goal wall shooting ("Torwandschießen"). Result: sailing: 2, football: 1. ;)

Here is the Link, hope it is not geo-blocked.

5 minutes ago, GER 100 said:

I not sure if this has been already posted. On his way home, Boris did several live TV interviews in his Car, using the same equipment as during the Vendee onboard SeaEx. He really did not leave any chance to get media exposure. Since he is already preparing the next vendee, using the current media interest to generate new or secure his sponsorship is crucial.

image.thumb.png.afb70da0f38ea636635dd367cc2dbf3b.png

Boris joining the ranks of sailing with a baby vlogers. :lol: