• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

If Pip plays her cards right, she can probably give the other two something to worry about.  Her speed is all VMG, while the others will need an extra tack or two.

Sadly another midnight finish it seems.

I really hope you’re right, I would love to see it...

But not sure there’s quite enough race left for Pip to make up 40nm. 

If she hadn’t lost the C0 then I reckon she’d have sneaked in front of both of them. So gutting for her. :(

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stief said:

Pip thrilled at the greetings she's getting from the fishing boats. (YT vid not up yet)

How can one not just enjoy following this sailor.  I get that joy.

• Like 4

Go PIP,  yeah, what a great effort on the really old and exposed boat. Almost home, just a pity yet again has to be late night.

I have yet to pick a winner in the standings . . .  but sure got hooked following the 'newbies' Pip and Herrmann.

Back in November wondered who of the outsiders would be the hidden treasures, much like Conrad Colman, Nador Fa and even Rich Wilson.

Didac? Giancarlo?  Kojiro? Ari?  . . . all had what it might take since they made the start.

Didac's feeds turned out to be too tough to 'translate', and discovered Giancarlo too late. Kojiro scared me: after working through a Japanese HuffPost translation  (almost a blood sport theme of death, swords, and samurai), I found I was hoping his mainsail would make him bail at Cape of Good Hope. Was quite a relief today that he made it safely. Ari continues to be a pilot I'd trust, even if he isn't as fierce a competitor as Louis Burton.

33 is too many to follow closely :D

Pip and Herrmann sure made this edition's outsider podium. Looking forward to more extreme understatements from Miranda and . . .?

According to the Stephane finish Live, Pip has some keel control problems (apparently reported 2 hrs ago).

Stephane and Alan have opted to do their channel run in daylight tomorrow; Pip will finish and go directly to the channel.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, stief said:

According to the Stephane finish Live, Pip has some keel control problems (apparently reported 2 hrs ago).

Stephane and Alan have opted to do their channel run in daylight tomorrow; Pip will finish and go directly to the channel.

I figure that is why she slowed?  7 in 18 with 22 nm to go....man this lady has had the Odyssey adventure or her version of Herculean trials.  that puts her at @ 3 hours so I'll do the chores then check in.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bucc5062 said:

I figure that is why she slowed?  7 in 18 with 22 nm to go....man this lady has had the Odyssey adventure or her version of Herculean trials.  that puts her at @ 3 hours so I'll do the chores then check in.

Sounds reasonable for why she slowed--though Andi's comment was the first I heard of a keel problem. And yes, mythical troubles. Still, arrival time sounds doable, and the commentators don't sound worried about her arrival. 

(aside: Andi and Antoine said Alex's contract with Hugo Boss is up for review at the end of the year, but he--and Charal--plan to do TOR Europe this spring)

Some timestamped links for Press Conference Kojiro Shiraishi Vendée Globe 2020-2021 •Feb 11, 2021

. . . .  A. "Heart surgery a year ago, but mainsail was big issue, but managed to fix with help of team. . .  learning French, thankful to the big navigators who helped me achieve this VG. . . .  Couldn't learn French because the foils were too loud."

Q. Always happy?  A. " Since I was a child; have never changed . . ."

Q. How was your coverage at home?  A. " Very proud VG is #1 google hit in Japan now for Kojiro searches . . . Hope others will also do VG"

Q. (from Caraes) Sailing school Japan?  A. "Taught [inspired by?] by Yukoh Tada, only offshore racer in Japan at the time . .  ." (BOC Challenge suicide?) 

Q. Plans? A. "Boat back to tour Japan, maybe bring some back to France. Thank you France and VG org for accepting me.

Q. High point? A. "Mainsail hoist after repair . .. "

Q. Moitessier said it's sad when one cannot fulfill dream and when fulfills dream. You?  A. "Funny feeling, no sadness, but very happy. Looking for new challenge."

Q. Start and Finish are big. How did it feel to finish? A. "Truly seeing teams' faces was most heartwarming. No words to express."

Q. Harmony with boat? Gratitude to arrive? A. "Yes. Thank you boat for taking me back to LSD. You suffered. Apologies I couldn't use your potential because of the main sail."

Q. Bilou [proj manager Roland Jourdain]  here taught you what?  A. "1st. Could not have finished without him. And, Bilou, like Maxine and Yannick, is very good. I am the least good student he's had. If I had listened, would have finished more quickly. Of course, Bilou and JLC are big in magazines in Japan, so an honour." Bilou replied: "Others would have turned back. You are honourable and deserve our applause."

Q. (some question) A. "No one on my team told me to give up, didn't expect the sail to last. It was the strength of the team to thank for such a good repair"

Q. Will we see you again? A. "I can't say alone. Will talk with owners and sponsors, and will listen next with Bilou

C. We won't forget recipe about sardines and mayonnaise. A." I won't tell you how to balance sardines on a foiler because they can go all over. Were actually Bilou's sardines . . .  they were excellent, and I even had some last night."

• Like 3

VG has Pip's live finish at 7:30 EST (00:30 UTC) and this is one I hope to watch.  Not to take away from Sam, Isabelle, or Clarissa, but this woman has been and amazing novice (to RTW sailing) female sailor to watch (and I hate gendering this) and I feel she could be one to follow as well into the future.  19th, on a old boat, pushing foilers, with all her issues....Way to go.

• Like 2

Dang it I guess she couldn't point high enough to make the line since they pushed the finish vid 20 min out.

Tail end Charlie is Stark, but those following Pip are maybe into a hard LP and it will be interesting to see if Sam and isabelle do meet up and sail in together.

Pip has an inspiring story as it pinnacles once to this moment (she'll have more).  What it does is give inspiration to sailors (mainly woman) that even at later in life you can find a goal and work towards it.  If she can find it I hope she is sponsored with a newer boat, because given she did this with one of the oldest boats, and pushed it to it's limit (+) what could she do with something new.

Comments from Arnaud Boissières on arrival (sorry, a bit late about it....).

"I have made 4 Vendée Globe, but actually the first one for me was in 1989... I was 17 years old and I was fighting leukemia. I was in the middle of my chemiotherapy, at Bordeaux hospital; I had lost all my hair. My father, who was a fan of sailing, brought me to the start of the Vendée Globe, to make me forget for a while what I was going through. I was a fan of Titouan Lamazou, who was from Arcachon, like me.

So the Vendée Globe is my life."

• Like 7

I've taken the bait...  What would "something big" be for Pip that isn't boat or sponsor?

Another big race soon on the same boat?  I can't think of anything that would be really big news, though...

Some kind of record she wants to try to set on the same boat?  Maybe.

My first thought was actually "it would be really cool if she said she's now 5 months pregnant and kept it quiet"...  But she's 47 so...  not likely.

What might it be?

Pip: "100% sure I'll be here in 2024."

Good questions from this reporter.  (Cringed at the "how does it feel?" from Nic.)

At the rate she improved this race, her next races are going to be really interesting to follow. Ride in TOR Europe this spring, TJV in November, RdeR next year . . .  hope to hear the money lines up a full calendar for her.  . . . and that she and the team she has don't get corralled and swept aside by a stable.

• Like 3

Pip has been one of those rare personalities that the general public who know nothing about sailing can connect with. My non-sailing friends have also been following Pip and connect with her through her amazing blogs and videos. Not only a great sailor but a great communicator. She gives the human touch to a somewhat complicated sport. We need more Pip’s in the sport 

• Like 5

Nice pics^^

While waiting for the "big announcement", here's something Retro: 3 Peaks vid, from Pip's home page. Featuring Dee's tam, and Pip's all female crew on Aparito. Drifter start, they can use oars ;)  Quite entertaining to view in the VG context

• Like 4

Massive CONGRATULATIONS to Koji!  Overcoming the mainsail issues in the beginning and nursing it along all the rest of the way.  He's been great to follow and respect ever since his very first Around Alone/Velux 5 Oceans.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

No TOR gossip. 

Lets make some up. ;-)

Pip and Alex team up to sail HB in the TOR Europe 

(not a bad idea actually)

That is one hell of a race and one tough place  to sail.

edit:  It really shows the warrior spirit of Pip.  She sails with a positive intensity that I brought to my own racing.

Canal run in a RIB for Stephane. That's a first.

Ironic that his boat which crossed the finish line for the first time after a number of attempts, craps out after the finish.

2010317535_ScreenShot2021-02-12at9_15_05AM.thumb.png.90c69a97260573fb5b1c2fc322f1fe7d.png

• Like 1

Some pre Prada windup in T&S today, plus some flamebait for JLC fans. And yes, fix the sked schedule of course.

What did you like or least like about this Vendée Globe? 
What was nice were these extremely close arrivals with the uncertainty that made Yannick's victory even more beautifulbecause difficult to obtain. It didn't take much for Charlie to win, but we can only accept the interpretation made by the jury a month before the finish. Mutual assistance is essential in ocean racing, I have read some inappropriate material on the subject. Just as I found Jean (Le Cam) 's comments on budget matters to be null and void , he is not well placed to make these kinds of comments given his past, he has sometimes been part of the biggest budgets. After that, what frustrated me was having four hours between each check-in  ; in 2021, we should be able to have much more frequent check-ins to follow what's going on more intensely. 

And more, as usual. Good discussion of the VG media tours worth a look. 

A thought about the sked frequency...  I understand that the skippers themselves don't want it to be more frequent, for valid reasons.  But is there anything preventing individual skippers from revealing their own positions more frequently?

For example...  What if AT and HB decided they wanted to update his position, on their tracker only, every minute.  Effectively live tracking at that point.  Marketing-wise, that would likely result in a LOT of people gravitating toward their tracker, and therefore seeing a lot more HB branding.  You get to watch AT's progress live, if you go to HB's site instead of Vendee's.  I could imagine Boris and some others being willing to do that on their own sites.

Additionally, they could still choose to black out their live feed temporarily, reverting to Vendee's skeds only for a while.  Just put up a message says "Alex is in a tricky part here, and doesn't want the competition to see his live data.  Check back soon!".

Skippers who would rather not share data more often than they're required to could of course opt to just run with the official VR skeds only.

I realize a big part of the infrequent skeds is actually because skippers need mental downtime, and seeing their competition's positions frequently is a problem in that regard.  So perhaps this would be discouraged or isn't allowed.  Just wondering.

Re the skeds: A more open sked schedule might even be better for them.

Current skeds are provincial, set for the UTC +1 crowd, especially the media's sleep patterns, not the skippers. A 7 hour gap makes little sense for the skippers. So, if the SAEM Vendee wants to be even more of an international event they will adapt. Local pride will be a hurdle.

Skippers had unprecedented access to the internet this time--so many showed Windy overlays on their screens. So, they could access the 2 (TWO!) second updates Herrmann provided any time they wanted. I suspect that if all the teams provided such updates, the skippers might even be freed from having to run their races around the current skeds, and plan their routing more in line with the conditions they see around them.  And as @noaano showed the SAT-AIS data is available for all.

So, they would plan the downtime they know they need. 

And, judging by the enthusiasm so may expressed about their WhatsApp groups and comms, opennesss has won out over the secretive anal retentive strategies of the past.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I understand that the skippers themselves don't want it to be more frequent, for valid reasons.  But is there anything preventing individual skippers from revealing their own positions more frequently?

Boris did have his position on the dashboard. 
The perhaps biggest episode was when we here (and many others following him at the end of the race) knew that something was up when he hit the trawler and his speed went down. In contrast it took a long time until the commentators knew that something was up.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, stief said:

Pip talks to BBC Radio Solent's Dorset breakfast presenter Steve Harris. A good listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p096shdc?

That is a wonderful interview, thank you for sharing. She's having hicchups during it, sounds so sweet ... What Champagne and sleep deprivation do to you ;)

More concerning: apparently her canting keel line broke in the last 6 hours of the race. Other than the other boats, Medallia doesn't have hydraulic keel rams. So that could have potentially been a really bigh problem, glad it occured 'just-in-time'.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matagi said:

That is a wonderful interview, thank you for sharing. She's having hicchups during it, sounds so sweet ... What Champagne and sleep deprivation do to you ;)

More concerning: apparently her canting keel line broke in the last 6 hours of the race. Other than the other boats, Medallia doesn't have hydraulic keel rams. So that could have potentially been a really bigh problem, glad it occured 'just-in-time'.

It sounded like this happened several times in the race - so much so that the final time she had run out of spare lines to run for the canting keel 

Some snips from the very good summary of Pip's presser (Thanks VG. I was tired of doing those)

Next objectives? What is next in terms of the Vendee Globe? 
2024 with wings! I think there are a lot of conversations to have but ideally a 2016 generation boat would be amazing.

So, it is nice to come back from the Vendee Globe and go shopping?
I had to struggle yesterday to turn left down the pontoon rather than turn right and look at which boat I wanted next.

[snip]

As weather forecasts improve, are we becoming more dependent on our technology and were there times when you wished you had followed your instincts and not the software? 
The routing software is incredible and you could tell we were all using pretty much the same weather files. I have always relied on my own interpretation of a chart aswell. It looked like someone had vomited on a piece of paper and no routing could take you through it or possibly understand. You use the routing software, you look at the synoptic chart and you have to use common sense of how you and the boat is to see what is possible.

Question from Elaine Bunting, do you think people appreciate the different levels of physical performance, how much harder and tougher it is to race a boat of your vintage? 
Me and Didac Costa were saying that there should be a different class in this race for people with roofs and no roofs! It was a much more brutal physical experience for me. When I have to reef the main, it takes me four trips. Everytime I want to look at a sail or trim a sail in the Southern Ocean I have to get fully kitted up in gear to just look at the trim. In terms of motivation and exertion, I think it was much harder.
The one thing I did learn in the south is that in the big breeze, I could push harder. The guys with the foils were backing off and I was revving it up and I loved that.

[snip. The next question, from a German, wanted Pip to quantify the tears :lol:. She nailed the answer]

Boris said on German TV about the tears he shed? How many tears did you drop on the floor of your boat? 
Yesterday was a tough day and I had a couple of tears yesterday. I call it a pity party and I don’t really do those. I let myself cry for a little bit but then I don’t let myself. The one thing I have shared tears about is that I haven’t been able to share this – the start and the finish - with my family and friends, that my mum and dad are not here and that is the only thing that makes me so very sad.

Whole Presser and summary here

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, b3nharris said:

It sounded like this happened several times in the race - so much so that the final time she had run out of spare lines to run for the canting keel 

She also slowed way down in the last set of miles and had shortened sail so whether she could lock it in or not, she was going to keep the boat flat. 

I smiled with her comment that Madallia was happy to finish the race as well.  She downplayed the fact she finished 40 miles behind modern foilers and frankly, had she not had some of the bigger issues that had her lose miles in the SO to them she may has squeaked ahead.  She squeezed every once and more from that old boat and I get the feeling that if she gets her hands on a modern foiling boat with enough time to figure its mood, she will be pushing the top boats around the world if not leading.

Didac approaching the 200 nm /30 min update line. That means he'll be up against the focus on the Prada Cup Finals.

Somehow a tune comes to mind: "Come on Didi  fight that fire . . " ^_^

• Like 1

Pips press conference was great.  What a breath of fresh air.  So much better than the canned BS answers we are being fed from the AC pressers.

I hope she gets the recognition she deserves and puts together something for 2024.   

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, yoyo said:

Pips press conference was great.  What a breath of fresh air.  So much better than the canned BS answers we are being fed from the AC pressers.

I hope she gets the recognition she deserves and puts together something for 2024.   

Amazing...That presser is blocked for US viewers...well done Vendee Globe to keep international people interested.

(Now to try VPN)

edit:  thank you Opera to watch this

Same for her arrival video. What the hell is this comment "This video contains content from Muyap"

4 hours ago, jimmyuk81 said:

Front page of The Times for Pip! Lovely. :)

Her presence definitely overpowers all the other "noise" on the cover.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

She squeezed every once and more from that old boat and I get the feeling that if she gets her hands on a modern foiling boat with enough time to figure its mood, she will be pushing the top boats around the world if not leading.

Pip did great.
Now the plan for next round "just" has to stay in place. Doing it again on a foiler.

Anyone else following Didac in?

He's about an hour away from the finish with a falling tide. With no daggerboards and on a reach,  making the channel right after the arrival seems doubtful, and high tide is about 10 hrs away.

A RIB is on its way

Done! And well Done Didac. 97d 6h 27m 03s. This is Kingfisher's 6th(?) completion RTW. Ellen still holds the record for getting Kingfisher around the world fastest. 

Andi R says this is probably the last time these older generation boats will be racing in the VG, according to his IMOCA info.

So, well done, Kingfisher.

• Like 3

Great to see Didac finish in the old Kingfisher, not far behind Pip in a equally vintage boat. I was wondering why he would remove the daggerboards other than to reduce weight? I assume they are there to serve a purpose - presumably with a canting keel having a more vertical foil or foils is necessary. Pip had a central daggerboard ahead of the keel, did Didac go to a similar set up or have no daggerboard at all?

There is something rather lovely to see these old boats do multiple circumnavigations. 

2 hours ago, nroose said:

really? They are disqualifying safe old boats? After this fantastic edition? Shit.

Finding volunteers to staff race headquarters for 100+ days is getting tougher and tougher with every edition. 

Speaking of struggling projects, was reading about Phil Weld's 1980 OSTAR win on Moxie.

Ran across an impressive review of a documentary put together by "American Challenge: Alone Against the Atlantic by Phil Weld."

We see the mid-Atlantic drama of Judith Lawson's battle against a force 10 gale with 50 knot winds and 20 foot seas. The camera catches her hunched in the cockpit, dejected, scared, her torn mainsail in her hands. Her mast has gone; her boat, one of the smallest in the race, lies dead in the water. She is alone, helpless, her radio disabled. One feels almost embarrassed to look because this is a raw elemental moment, stripped of all pretenses. "God give me the strength to get through this," she tells the inanimate mike, and one knows she feels she may not survive. "Please," she adds quietly, "I don't want to he a heroine, I just want to survive." This has to be one of the great moments of documentary film, a scene of enormous power as well as meaning and for this we owe a debt to Judy Lawson and to the man -- Chris Knight -- who put the film together, installed the cameras and tapes, and instructed the lone skippers on how to use them.

Sounds like it was an incredible race. Interesting: on board cams were used to document a race 40 years ago. Wonder how it may have influenced the VOR and VG coverage.

Anyone seen it?

(thanks to kass for the tip)

I have. Even knew Phil as he and my dad were buddies. The history of the OSTAR is incredible and that race spurred the most rapid growth of sailboat performance in history. That's my view, but I'll bet I'm right. I'd like to know if the movie "American Challenge" is available anywhere. Phil sponsored the movie by buying cameras for everyone. Earlier OSTAR history is amazing. "Project Cheers" is a great book about a Newick designed proa that finished 3'rd in the '68 race. it was reprinted and is available on amazon.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, peterbike said:

All I could find is a link to buy the dvd.;   http://newfilmco.com/acpage.htm

But while looking I found this ;;  https://youtu.be/g-WfFCi6Ir4

Really good. @huey 2 dug it up for the thread a few weeks ago:

On 1/26/2021 at 7:15 PM, huey 2 said:

https://www.nfb.ca/film/singlehanders.   Mike Birch and so many other,  they were the original Heros of shorthanded racing and crossing the Atlantic in Ostar /Transat/ TJV , and invariably some of the Big N Atlantic Storms on the Great Circle Courses  then finish in light weather and Fog...these were the forerunners to the Caribbean race with the Joys of downhill Tradewind racing evolveing the designs....then to the BOC and Vendee.....Round the Worlders.  The Round UK and Island , The AZAB and the Three Peaks were the training wheels for these events...But there are some incredible early single handed Transat sailors, one early one was Howard Blackburn.... 

Blackburn first rose to fame in 1883. While he was fishing on the schooner Grace L. Fears, a sudden winter storm caught him and a dorymate unprepared while they were in their Banks dory, leaving them separated from the schooner. Blackburn began to row for shore, despite the loss of his mittens; he knew his hands would freeze, so he kept them in the hooked position that would allow him to row. He tried to save one hand with a sock and thus worsened his condition by freezing his toes and yet not being able to save his fingers. The crewmate gave up and lay down in the dory and died on the second day. Blackburn carried the body to shore for a proper burial.

After five days with virtually no food, water, or sleep, he made it to shore in Newfoundland. Blackburn's hands were treated for frostbite, but could not be saved; he lost all of his fingers, and many of his toes, and both thumbs to the first joint.

Blackburn returned to Gloucester a hero, and with the help of the town, managed to establish a successful saloon. Not content with this, he organised an expedition to the Klondike to join the gold rush; rather than go overland, he and his group sailed there, via Cape Horn. Howard, after a disagreement with his partners left the group in San Francisco after a short trip to Portland, Oregon to buy lumber to help finance the trip, and returned home never having panned for gold.

After the quest for gold failed, Blackburn turned his attention to a new challenge — to sail single-handed across the Atlantic Ocean. This had been done before, by Alfred "Centennial" Johnson in 1876, and Joshua Slocum had completed a single-handed circumnavigation in 1898; but for a man with no fingers to undertake such a voyage would be quite an accomplishment. He sailed from Gloucester, Massachussetts in 1899, in the modified Gloucester Fishing Sloop, Great Western, and reached the city of Goucester, England after 62 days at sea.

What he did in 62 days , they now do in 80 days around the world.....the times are a changing...

2 hours ago, Grog said:

Nice find!

I do like the low tech, low key approach back then.

Not so sure about the hair though. :) 

Good finds indeed. The 'how to quit smoking' was also catchy  . . .

Discovering more about the origins of these races makes the current edition so much more rewarding to follow.

e.g., have been thinking about starting a 2002-03 Around Alone race thread. So many familiar names and great stories there.

Bernard Stamm Bobst Group Armor Lux 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland 49 pts 115 days
Thierry Dubois Solidaires 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 45 pts 118 days
Simone Bianchetti Tiscali 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 35 pts 159 days
Emma Richards Pindar 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom 33 pts 131 days
Bruce Schwab Ocean Planet 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 30 pts 159 days
Patrick Radigues Garnier 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium Retired Leg 1
Graham Dalton Hexagon HSBC 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand Retired Leg 3
Class 2: IMOCA Open 50
Brad van Liew Tommy Hilfiger 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 50 pts 148 days
Tim Kent Everest Horizontal 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 44 pts 169 days
John Dennis Bayer Ascensia 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada Retired Leg 2
Class 3: IMOCA Open 40
Derek Hatfield Spirit of Canada 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada 37 pts 245 days
Kojiro Shiraishi Spirit of Yukoh 23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan 36 pts 180 days
Alan Paris BTC Velocity 23px-Flag_of_Bermuda.svg.png Bermuda 30 pts 202 days

Time now for Didac. He sure fits the pre-pro spirit of these races.

He's happy to be back, even if he does have to go back to work in the next few weeks and start paying back the loans. Hard to believe a 40 year old can look so young :lol:

977770158_ScreenShot2021-02-14at6_11_34AM.thumb.png.f716896e190dbfa3ed91a63f169ab52d.png

Herrmann should coach Didac on prepping his hair for interviews.  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, stief said:

Speaking of struggling projects, was reading about Phil Weld's 1980 OSTAR win on Moxie.

Ran across an impressive review of a documentary put together by "American Challenge: Alone Against the Atlantic by Phil Weld."

Sounds like it was an incredible race. Interesting: on board cams were used to document a race 40 years ago. Wonder how it may have influenced the VOR and VG coverage.

Anyone seen it?

(thanks to kass for the tip)

Damn...That brings back such a memory for me.

In 1980 I was just starting out on my own sailing path.  I had recently bought a Prindle 18 and in the area I lived in, struggled for crew so I learned to sail her solo.  The times I had that hull flying, solo, across Barnegatt Bay...anyway, I was reading articles in some sailing periodical when I saw the story about Phil Weld's OSTAR race in Moxie.  It blew me a way, as much for his effort in winning, but that he was ...well old (I was still almost a babe).  I thought if this "old" man can still sail across the Atlantic, alone, and win a race, well dammit maybe I can at least try.  He became my inspiration on how to live life.

I set a goal to sail across the Atlantic solo by the time I was 30.  I looked at boat ads, researched while at the same time beginning a career in Software Development.  Along the way I raced my Prindle, had adventures, bought a 22' Chrysler, (a boat I could afford) raced that for years, got a Capt. License, soon skippered bigger boats racing on the Chesapeake and that Atlantic dream just seemed that one decision out of reach.  Still, every step on my sailing path had Phil ad Moxie in the background.  I'm 2x 30 now and I think I missed that dream, but I'm okay with it.  Instead, I raced, cruised, I met amazing people, hit my pinnacle twice (once in PHYR, once in Dinghys), and was able to accept the moment when it was time to move in a different direction.  

Thing is, those two still in a way shape how I view life and how one does not stop living even as we get older.  Wow, thanks for the moment.  Ain't the universe strange.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

That brings back such a memory for me

Oh yes. Same here (looking forward to thread drift and trading 'what coulda been' stories when we're gumming our mashed potatoes and gravy). Others like Jack might also be looking for an alternative to Brexit, the Corona crisis, duck dynasty and the AC. 

2086341166_ScreenShot2021-02-14at7_38_21AM.thumb.png.9f4c32e967d24b1e08c12f51250a6755.png

Some rough links to tidbits about Didac's Ascent of the channel. Some good examples how a drone makes a lower cost substitute for heli-shots.

Ran out of data (really low budget). Back to work next Frida

Pep Costa business partner

100% finishing record for Kingfisher RTW

Rich Wilson and Didac

Flares and local firemen's support

"the IMOCA rule will require that the boats for the next VG must be 2004 or newer" ( @nroose)

Fire service welcome, just as in 2017

Breakfast of octopus, french fries, and a beer.

Didac's favourite saying, "Luck favours the prepared."

No skipper this edition knows his boat better or has sailed more miles than Didac, except for maybe JLC.

Humble: apologetic because he was late for start-of-race presser: had been saving old folks in a home

music. oops (Lionel Richie - All Night Long). YT hasn't been taken down . . . yet

Pip and Didac

multi-lingual fun. As ManuelB said in the YT comments, "What a mess of an interview! The talent speaks Spanish, the translator fights it off in Catalan, the journalists ask in French, while a stuttering English voice on the background is muddling all up in a crappy sound recording. It's such a beauty after all those miles sailed, isn't it?!"

No clear idea what was said in the translation scrum. (maybe JLC was mentioned). Rather fun to follow, if you want your ears to twitch and swivel like a rabbit's.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, yl75 said:

Now we have a race between the two "pit stop" girls !

I forgot, did Isabelle fully repair her kill, or is it in the middle ?

She's still got her keel locked,  last I noted, and rendezvouing with Sam for mutual support.

Didac Presser.

Dailymotion vid. (YT not available or blocked)

1st half from the VG write up (thanks VG translators, whoever you are). Daily motion times added.

Modest, shy and – as the French would say – very discrete, Didac Costa was enchanting as he spoke to his Press Conference in his native Spanish language today. And if Didac can be quiet and unassuming his welcome by his counterparts from the Les Sables d’Olonne Sapeurs Pompiers – the local firefighters – was sustained, loud and appreciative. That special bond created in 2016 when they were instrumental in getting him back on the race course after his generator and electrical problems brought him back to Les Sables d’Olonne, are stronger than ever. Suffice to say Didac’s welcome was truly special.

How did you feel with the firefighters welcoming you back to the Channel? 9:00
It was extraordinary. There were not so many people in the Channel as the last edition but to see people out there being happy for you and happy for what you have done, even when you have done it twice it is surprising. This time it was really moving and incredible. I was so touched by the support of the firefighters. 

How did you live this one compared to four years ago? 10:20
The course is the same. The last time I had very old sails that broke and I had the boat better prepared with new sails and so it was much more different in terms of sailing. I could push hard and I could really enjoy the course and the beauty of the landscape and to enjoy the extraordinary thing that is the Vendée Globe.

Four memories, descent of Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Pacific and then going back up the Atlantic? 12:08
The descent of the Atlantic I remember very good first days but it was difficult to get accustomed to the boat and I remember the first front. The Indian I remember being side by side with Pip and trying to stick with her, I was close to her. The Pacific the last ten days were really difficult with big conditions with swell and wind. And for the climb up the Atlantic it was mostly the north Atlantic which was difficult getting round the Azores anticyclone and having to spend more time that expected and so that was starting to be a little bit complicated for me.

The Southern Oceans you now know very well, was there a highlight moment in the big South? 20:00
It is almost impossible to choose because Cape Horn is v