1 hour ago, XTR said:

I hit 72 once with the kind of naps he's describing.  I've literally fallen asleep standing up leaning against a bulkhead with my knees locked.

I've gone 3 days without sleep aswell. Started to get minor halucinations like colors changing. Couldn't think straight at all. No drugs involved. Would not recommend.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Chasm said:

If you get thrown under the bus -here by social media- you go to start moving.

Karver has a lot of exp with vendee globe speculation & the top teams keep going back to their gear. 

Watching the Hugo Boss data & comparing it with the tracker when it is updated - I think the best way to get a sense what Apivia/PRB and Hugo Boss are in right now is heel angle. It doesn’t lie. 

086D2786-5AF6-43A1-870E-67578D029725.jpeg

• Like 1

I can't imagine going three days with that little sleep. I once rode my Suzuki 1100 from Denver to Madison, WI, overnight for 20 hours, and was experiencing all sorts of hallucinations, including repeatedly convinced I had a flat rear tire. Finally had enough at dawn in western Wisconsin, pulled into a farmer's field and crashed next to the bike. Woken up a few hours later by the farmer wondering if I was dead.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Karver has a lot of exp with vendee globe speculation & the top teams keep going back to their gear. 

That as well.
Not the first time a boat with their gear on it breaks, nor the last.

The Vendee is a very high profile event and everyone involved in it (or something similar) has to be on point with communications. Teams, suppliers, sponsors, the race itself.
Sometimes it seems that the race itself is the slowest when it comes to breaking news.

No idea how ,posreport is formatted, I don't have one. Likely something much easier to automate than in nav software than the .xlsx

• Like 2
2 hours ago, XTR said:

Once upon a time a long long time ago I served on subs as a Navy nuke.  Pretty much anyone who has ever served in the engine room of a nuke sub has experienced extreme sleep deprivation at at some point. Most "normal" people haven't been through the wall at 36 to 48 hours.  I hit 72 once with the kind of naps he's describing.  I've literally fallen asleep standing up leaning against a bulkhead with my knees locked.  My experience matches with what Alex is describing, and I wasn't doing anything nearly as complex as what he's doing.  (yea, ok, it was running a reactor steam plant but it's still actually pretty easy until something breaks)  Something as simple as subtracting inlet and outlet temperatures from a cooler became impossible to accomplish.  He needs to rest before he hits that TD.

I'm quite surprised by that, I've been in the navy myself (as military service) and although not on a nuke sub, knew quite a few people that were, never heard of that. I mean the schedules in the Navy are usually well organized, no ?

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I'm quite surprised by that, I've been in the navy myself (as military service) and although not on a nuke sub, knew quite a few people that were, never heard of that. I mean the schedules in the Navy are usually well organized, no ?

There’s an “ideal” schedule and then there’s the schedule you maintain when someone gets sick, didn’t pass their cert for the evolution something something something. 

6 minutes ago, Miffy said:

There’s an “ideal” schedule and then there’s the schedule you maintain when someone gets sick, didn’t pass their cert for the evolution something something something. 

Or you're In the 7th Fleet. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Miffy said:

Watching the Hugo Boss data & comparing it with the tracker when it is updated - I think the best way to get a sense what Apivia/PRB and Hugo Boss are in right now is heel angle. It doesn’t lie.

got a bit on now... to be fair it's max heel over the last hour. It is cool, if kinda meaningless, to get this data from the boat

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 12.42.25 pm.png

Apivia was Gabart's pick to win this. Ticks all the boxes he says. Alex has stayed with him albeit we don't know if these guys have backed off substantially? (Due to conditions)  I wonder who the skippers themselves see as their main competition? Reliability, Good Tactics and Luck will decide this now if all else is similar. 

17 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Apivia was Gabart's pick to win this. Ticks all the boxes he says. Alex has stayed with him albeit we don't know if these guys have backed off substantially? (Due to conditions)  I wonder who the skippers themselves see as their main competition? Reliability, Good Tactics and Luck will decide this now if all else is similar. 

Hard not to pick your horse :lol:
Not sure his word is unbiased if he's working with Apiva.

Go the Cam!!!!

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

It is about now that people start to remember that the trick to winning the Vendee is not to loose it.  In most races you can go back and point to the decision or event that lead to each boat falling out of the leading group until there is only one left.  Apivia, Hugo Boss and half a dozen others are fast enough to win but all the other ducks have to line up too.   

• Like 1

I'm hoping Charal can make it back and get fixed up before Wednesday.  When he re-starts the race, is it a full reset? Can he use his motor and reseal it?  Replenish food, fuel, supplies, etc?

Making it the dock would be pretty sporty without a motor,  though maybe a RIB could bring him in as he's allowed outside assistance within the harbour?

I'd love to be on the dock to watch the teamwork and process to get him fixed up and sent out again.   

image.thumb.png.b4a56abd4fb28209129ad04f8658c3f9.png

My amateurish attempt at weather routing Le Cam, Troussel, and Ruyant to an arbitrary point with identical polars. Ruyant supposedly has a 3hr advantage, but that's probably well within any margin of error.

On a related note, can anyone tell me why opencpn refuses to drop my weather routing positions where I click them?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Chasm said:

Din't one boat in the race start as a VOR prototype? IIRC LinkedOut / Thomas Ruyant.
Easier to single hand a boat that was build for a small crew than the other way around.

I think both Linked Out and Apviva are based on the original design for the 'Super 60' which was the VOR prototype. I think it was a Bar karate episode where they were discussing how the boats might be a bit heavier due to be being built for the higher loads of crewed racing - looking at how this Vendee has kicked-off that might end up being a big bonus.

12 hours ago, mad said:

Not sure if that was the sole aim, they've just proven what everyone was saying years ago.  They could have used a lot of other 60's to prove that point.

Shit-  I forgot to engage the purple sarcasm font!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Looks like Destremau is coming back (he has plenty of issues, electronics especially), and did Burton did his penalty ? 

yes, and yes.

Burton, who was side by side with Arkea Paprec is now 75 nm further north, and on the wrong side of the ridge... VERY costly 3 seconds for the start of a 70-80 days race...

LinkedOut outperformed his acolytes (Burton on Bureau Vallée and Sébastien Simon on Arkea Paprec). He passed the ridge and crossed in front of Apivia, Hugo Boss and PRB!

Kevin Escoffier on PRB is doing really well for an older boat upgraded with foils.

And Jean Le Cam is fucking amazing!

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, ivansh said:

image.thumb.png.b4a56abd4fb28209129ad04f8658c3f9.png

My amateurish attempt at weather routing Le Cam, Troussel, and Ruyant to an arbitrary point with identical polars. Ruyant supposedly has a 3hr advantage, but that's probably well within any margin of error.

On a related note, can anyone tell me why opencpn refuses to drop my weather routing positions where I click them?

very unusual to go that side of the St Helena high no?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, stief said:

Chasm--have you seen how the posreport formats differ from the .xlsx sheets?

(I'm trying to figure out how to automate the .xlsx lat/longs to Windy URLs). Any tips appreciated.

This will pull the latest position report from the VG website and convert the lat/long to windy urls for each boat. Should work for the whole race, unless they change something within their website or the structure of the excel file.

https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1QxCznt_WGKv0uijxM99fZk5XGVa7Hi7b

Edited by nasil2nd
change data to boat
  • Like 3
16 minutes ago, splat said:

very unusual to go that side of the St Helena high no?

I think that was just because the routing was set to an arbitary point rather than the Cape of Good Hope. 

A few have stolen a march on the the fleet by sneaking down that way. I think Isabelle Autissier did it once. Can't remember the others but somebody will :) 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I think that was just because the routing was set to an arbitary point rather than the Cape of Good Hope. 

A few have stolen a march on the the fleet by sneaking down that way. I think Isabelle Autissier did it once. Can't remember the others but somebody will :)

There are minimal doldrums this year, so that may change the equation I guess. 

15 hours ago, Roleur said:

There is nothing at all unusual about the issues the boats are having this time.  It happens every year.  8 years ago only about half the fleet made it to the equator!!!  Sam & Jeromie were two of those that had to abandon.  Safran lost its keel the first night out that year too.  And if previous editions are an indicator we shouldn't expect more than half the fleet to finish, with the attrition typically higher near the beginning of the race than the end.

Indeed. The only positive thing about all the mishaps is that it is better to have it at the beginning of the race than somewhere in the Southern Ocean with no boat that can offer help for some time. Like Kito de Pavant sinking near The Kerguelen in last edition.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Corryvreckan said:

It looks like they have to get around a smaller low before they set up for Theta.  It looks like there'll be patch of light winds opening up between that first low and Theta, and that could be a big factor in whether the boats can get the positioning they want before Theta arrives. 

It's not the place to get stuck (or for Burton to take his penalty!)

That small LP zone south of the fleet is why Thomson invested in going west last night, dropping from 2nd to 8th in the rankings at that time. And is now reaping the benefits of a better wind angle and more wind than Le Cam and Dutreux. Next schedule the westerners could take the lead. Or get very close.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, stief said:

Thanks! 53 knots and 7 meter waves measured! Yep--more than forecasted.

That is an understatement. A shitload more wind (force 10) and a shitload higher waves in a bad sea state than forecasted. It explains both the damage inflicted by the front on the fleet and shows the shortcomings of computed GRIBs / forecast against the harsh reality on the ocean.

A lot of observers were convinced that Charal's extra sailing miles would put them in good stead in the long run, yet here they are just a few days into the race and they are on their way back with a broken halyard lock, etal. Such a shame for Jeremie and his shore crew.

9 hours ago, stief said:

(I'm trying to figure out how to automate the .xlsx lat/longs to Windy URLs). Any tips appreciated.

Stief, my spreadsheet does the job. I will PM you.

11 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

A lot of observers were convinced that Charal's extra sailing miles would put them in good stead in the long run, yet here they are just a few days into the race and they are on their way back with a broken halyard lock, etal. Such a shame for Jeremie and his shore crew.

Charal has UFO damage (rudder and broken backstay). L'occitane had a broken halyard lock but he is continuing because he thinks he knows how to fix it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Yeah.  Interesting comp of Cam vs Boss.  

Hi @Hitchhiker I like your routing work a lot, but I cannot interpret the results, unfortunately. We only see a part of the routing, no ETA's towards a (virtual) waypoint. And are there 2 routes for Le Cam possible, west and east of Theta? Which one is preferred according to your projections?

2 hours ago, ivansh said:

can anyone tell me why opencpn refuses to drop my weather routing positions where I click them

Open the weather routing screen first. After that you can add weather routing points with right mouse click. Or after opening the weather routing screen select an existing waypoint as weather routing start or finish. That latter is what I do.

1 hour ago, splat said:

very unusual to go that side of the Azores St Helena high no?

FIFY. St Helena is a bit more to the south ;-)

The tropical cyclone Theta is pushing the Azores HP zone away towards the African coast. So yes, that is unusual, but explainable.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

FIFY. St Helena is a bit more to the south ;-)

The tropical cyclone Theta is pushing the Azores HP zone away towards the African coast. So yes, that is unusual, but explainable.

I think he referred to @ivansh routing where the fleet goes close to the African coast after Theta. Usually with those types of boats they go much more to the west.

2 hours ago, nasil2nd said:

This will pull the latest position report from the VG website and convert the lat/long to windy urls for each boat. Should work for the whole race, unless they change something within their website or the structure of the excel file.

Very nice work, thanks for sharing!

11 hours ago, mathystuff said:

I've gone 3 days without sleep aswell. Started to get minor halucinations like colors changing. Couldn't think straight at all. No drugs involved. Would not recommend.

I started to see strange shit after 24 hours on deck.  Drugs would have helped.

Night time and started having trouble knowing which way to turn the wheel when the compass told me I was off course.  Interesting times.

2 hours ago, nasil2nd said:

Nice, Thanks, I was half way my version of this when I found your post. My version will just produce a CSV of boats and positions for import to Expedition or whatever. 

9 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

I think he referred to @ivansh routing where the fleet goes close to the African coast after Theta. Usually with those types of boats they go much more to the west.

A ok, I did not see the routing on the South Atlantic where St Helena is. That got me on the wrong foot. As @Potter pointed out the ITCZ / pot au noir is unusually small this year, compared to other years. This could facilitate a closer passage to the African coast.

9 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Imagine Jean Le Cam with a new boat..! :o

He does have a very good (legendary) boat.  Just not with moustache foils. Conditions so far have suited the boat and he's nailed the shifts utilizing it's strengths. He has a bit of experience...;-)

• Like 2

I'm no routing expert but it looks to me as if the light patch ahead is widening... Alex looks to have placed himself well to cross it while it's still relatively narrow, potentially opening a gap on those behind. If PRB & Arkea don't have enough breeze then he could be the first & fastest to catch the low that's on the other side, consolidating any lead he can achieve...?

Cheers,

W.

3 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Boss took the option to gybe south whilst the others followed the wind. Looks like he made 4 gybes whilst the others slept and now he's in the best wind with the shortest route around Theta. That's not the boat, that's the sailor. 

Imagine what he'd do with some sleep

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, staysail said:

But who is fastest according to the 12 o'clock tracker? Is it AT?

According to the race report, second fastest of the last 30 minute average and 4 hour average, only Isabelle Joschke (MASCF) is faster (by 1.2 knots and 0.2 knots respectively) but he's 1, 1.2 knots faster than Apivia at the moment. Isabelle Joschke (MASCF) is the other side of this mini system though, leaving stronger breeze whilst Boss is entering more wind.

12 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Latest update puts the bat cave into first, but I'm hoping Sébastien Destremau (Merci) is alright looking a his course :(

1876948885_ScreenShot2020-11-12at11_10_14.png.4ce15dc99168db7d6d472b4154eee610.png

Maybe all those repairs:

The broken lazy is very annoying because I will have to climb up the mast as soon as the sea conditions allow. In the meantime, the mainsail is blocked at the 1st reef and I cannot send a gennaker because it's all tangled up there. Will have to go up. And to top it off, an electronics failure No more wind and speed indicator on bus 1 ... and bus 2 not on.  Apart from the electronics which is a very important problem, the rest are just routine shit

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Marty6 said:

Maybe all those repairs:

The broken lazy is very annoying because I will have to climb up the mast as soon as the sea conditions allow. In the meantime, the mainsail is blocked at the 1st reef and I cannot send a gennaker because it's all tangled up there. Will have to go up. And to top it off, an electronics failure No more wind and speed indicator on bus 1 ... and bus 2 not on.  Apart from the electronics which is a very important problem, the rest are just routine shit

Hopefully he's just sorting out the mast climb then

10 minutes ago, WGWarburton said:

I'm no routing expert but it looks to me as if the light patch ahead is widening... Alex looks to have placed himself well to cross it while it's still relatively narrow, potentially opening a gap on those behind. If PRB & Arkea don't have enough breeze then he could be the first & fastest to catch the low that's on the other side, consolidating any lead he can achieve...?

Cheers,

W.

For mine it looks like a battle of getting south as quickly as possible to miss the light patch VS getting west for better wind angles and missing the worth of the cyclone.

Looks like AT is hoping to go for the first option, even if it means one gybe west at a bad angle (but good breeze) to skirt the worst of the cyclone.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

That small LP zone south of the fleet is why Thomson invested in going west last night, dropping from 2nd to 8th in the rankings at that time. And is now reaping the benefits of a better wind angle and more wind than Le Cam and Dutreux. Next schedule the westerners could take the lead. Or get very close.

Yup, I figured the westerners would be ahead at this point (just getting caught up with my morning coffee). But it's hardly a knockout blow.   And I'd say the big split at Finisterre was kind of a wash - now that the fleet has all converged again, the two groups are pretty much overlapped in the rankings. Add me to the list of Le Cam admirers for being so close.  A couple of the far northwest group (SeaExplorer, Arkea) are cheek-by-jowl with the southesterners (Maxime, Romain).  Factor in the damage, most of which seems to have hit the western group, and I'd say the boats who went inside the TSS two days ago made some really smart moves.

What really surprises me this morning is how much LinkedOut has caught up from the northwest.  That groups was stuck in really light air when I went to bed last night, and the others from that group are much farther back.

Edit after more coffee - it looks like Apivia and PRB gybed west when LinkedOut didnt have to.  I guess this is where HB's extra gybes are keeping him ahead.

3 minutes ago, mezaire said:

For mine it looks like a battle of getting south as quickly as possible to miss the light patch VS getting west for better wind angles and missing the worth of the cyclone.

Looks like AT is hoping to go for the first option, even if it means one gybe west at a bad angle (but good breeze) to skirt the worst of the cyclone.

A gybe now would send them south - east not west they have the wind on the stbd quarter.  Pretty sure everyone is just looking for their preferred track around the velodrome.  The closer they go means stronger winds, the ability to run deeper, a short course but a bigger risk.

• Like 1

The spot-on positioning of both HB and Le Cam over the last day has been amazing. Brilliance.  Of course there are others as well but those two really stand out.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Haji said:

The spot-on positioning of both HB and Le Cam over the last day has been amazing. Brilliance.  Of course there are others as well but those two really stand out.

Must say that last 12 hours showed me how much of a couch sailor I am: HB not staying with Apivia and LinkedOut seemed like a big mistake to me and here we are, it seems to play out really well for him.

Shaping up to be a great race. Also great to see Hugo Boss hit the lead for English fans. So many good boats on his heels coming from every angle. Good battle between Linked Out and Apivia boat for boat. A new Tracker and we'd be in our elements..!

• Like 1

Jeremie was on the FR daily live, really tough for him ..

In fact what broke first is the "tack point"(not sure of term), for the foresail sheet, that got ripped off and took some of the deck with it (and probably also damaged the corresponding bulkhead)

When he was inside inspecting the damages, he hit something, the rudder went half up with the leading edge damaged and something else broken.

Then during a jibe he broke the backstay (probably due to some carbon debris) ....

He regrets not having turning back earlier, but somehow couldn't realize.

He also talks about his 4 year investment on this program and the "tunnel effect", his father got a VCA  a few days before the start but he managed to stay focused on his start.

He should get to Les Sables Saturday morning, couldn't say whether he plans to restart or not at this point.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, yl75 said:

Jeremie was on the daily live, really tough for him ..

In fact what broke first is the "tack point"(not sure of term), for the foresail sheet, that got ripped off and took some of the deck with it (and probably also damaged the corresponding bulkhead)

When he was inside inspecting the damages, he hit something, the rudder went half up with the leading edge damaged and something else broken.

Then during a jibe he broke the backstay (probably due to some carbon debris) ....

He regret not having turning back earlier ..

ditto above re my post about Tripon. You never know. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, nasil2nd said:

Thanks! It works. Now can see other Windy layers along roughly projected courses, and can try various predicted boat speeds, without bugging Herman and Hitchiker

Quick example (using "wind gusts" rather than the usual wind). Sea state layer also shown in graph.

https://www.windy.com/distance/boat/38.59,-22.16;27.45,-31.99?gust,2020-11-14-00,27.019,-44.739,4

965171486_ScreenShot2020-11-12at6_17_53AM.thumb.png.aff2ea8811e8b49207bd0e32d6413b7a.png

• Like 1