• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

1 minute ago, EarthBM said:

So looks like the foiling boats need to sail hotter angles to make the foils useful rather than just adding drag. This is probably why Le Cam is ahead.

You don’t think it is to do with how Dtf is measured?

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

How do you repair this by yourself, without external assistance? Does he even have enough material on board to do so?

Does someone know how much sail repair material they bring with them? How many spare battens?

Pardon my ignorance: do competitors carry more than one main?  When they talk of sail changes, are they just talking headsails?

11 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Boss, Cam and Omia had solid nights/morning runs. Apivia not so much!

I originally thought Dalin was seeing better winds to the west and trying to gain an advantage about the rest. But apparently he just tried to not break the boat.

• Like 1

From the HB team -

"Until now, the fleet has remained close together as the tough conditions have not allowed the foiling boats to show their full potential. With the leaders now passed Storm Theta and approaching the more consistent trade winds, the foiling boats are expected to stretch their wings as they head towards the equator."

Right now the leaderboard is whack because the DTF numbers favor the boats to the east, whereas the optimal route is west of the south.  Again, this happens every year.  We won't have a clear idea of the real leaderboard until they exit the doldrums and everyone starts reaching southwest.  No way Arkea is truly ahead of the Apivia and Sam, but it does look like HB is 90nm ahead of the next new generation boat (LinkedOut).  That is a lot better position than he had last round at this point.  

• Like 8
18 minutes ago, socalrider said:

Pardon my ignorance: do competitors carry more than one main?  When they talk of sail changes, are they just talking headsails?

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers ;-)

I have never seen a sailboat with 2 mains onboard. There is no room for the volume of sail to stow away.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Roleur said:

From the HB team -

"Until now, the fleet has remained close together as the tough conditions have not allowed the foiling boats to show their full potential. With the leaders now passed Storm Theta and approaching the more consistent trade winds, the foiling boats are expected to stretch their wings as they head towards the equator."

Right now the leaderboard is whack because the DTF numbers favor the boats to the east, whereas the optimal route is west of the south.  Again, this happens every year.  We won't have a clear idea of the real leaderboard until they exit the doldrums and everyone starts reaching southwest.  No way Arkea is truly ahead of the Apivia and Sam, but it does look like HB is 90nm ahead of the next new generation boat (LinkedOut).  That is a lot better position than he had last round at this point.  

Yup. And people still playing with make believe routes thinking shortest distance to cape town is gonna win it or something. The earth is a sphere - if you’re heading to the southern ocean going east doesn’t even save that much actual distance. Once they’re in the southern ocean the foilers will put 100nm a day easily over the older boats in lighter conditions and can pick and choose where they want to be.

2 minutes ago, tallyho said:

Agree, have been wondering the same. I think there will be a pretty big split mid fleet

And the chance of a different route to a bridge. I can't tell which one the wiser navs will choose, but there also seems to be an opportunity to the south east. Fun to guess what the fleet might be imagining ahead

272717407_ScreenShot2020-11-14at12_17_23PM.thumb.png.7ad6b48211151b9c34132f8451c01e4d.png

Just now, stief said:

Did he say his 3rd reef ripped . . .  or almost ripped? 

Third reef slipped....

Which was dangerous because it could have damaged the main.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, minca3 said:

But how much can you load that repaired sail? Same as an undamaged one? Or does Kojiro have to nurse that sail all the way back to Les Sables?

Chances are the repaired sail will be shorter. Given the use of locks that should result in a permanent reef 1. Which in turn gives a lot of material to overlap.
North(?) knows how good and long glue repairs last. Question is if he can do a good repair and how much the sail construction depends on the leech.
But first he has to untangle the mess and go somewhere to do the repair.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Chances are the repaired sail will be shorter. Given the use of locks that should result in a permanent reef 1. Which in turn gives a lot of material to overlap.
North(?) knows how good and long glue repairs last. Question is if he can do a good repair and how much the sail construction depends on the leech.
But first he has to untangle the mess and go somewhere to do the repair.

The patch itself can be stronger than the mainsail - assuming his mainsail isn’t weathered and UV damaged into loose filaments the substrate should be fine. 

I have to admit tho - Koji is 67. And given his stated goal and he general approach of trying to finish - I kind of question why the Charal sister boat thing and not do what BP did for Cremer. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Chasm said:

North(?) knows how good and long glue repairs last. 

Are there 'glued panels' in the sails already? Somehow I thought these sails were too large to be laid up as a single build,

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

I have never seen a sailboat with 2 mains onboard.

Way back in time one competitor had a brand new light mainsail for the Cape Horn to France run.... Was it Alain Gautier ? Smaller sails used then.

21 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Yup. And people still playing with make believe routes thinking shortest distance to cape town is gonna win it or something. The earth is a sphere - if you’re heading to the southern ocean going east doesn’t even save that much actual distance. Once they’re in the southern ocean the foilers will put 100nm a day easily over the older boats in lighter conditions and can pick and choose where they want to be.

Thing is though that if the foilers only have a relatively small window where they can really let rip then that may not necessarily be in the right direction - and that could really hurt at times.  We've seen a bit of that already.  If they are then at a disadvantage to the older generation boat outside of their windows then it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Being smart certainly helps, and JLC so far is THE story of the race!  Allez Jean!  and Sam of course:)

7 minutes ago, GBH said:

Thing is though that if the foilers only have a relatively small window where they can really let rip then that may not necessarily be in the right direction - and that could really hurt at times.  We've seen a bit of that already.  If they are then at a disadvantage to the older generation boat outside of their windows then it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Being smart certainly helps, and JLC so far is THE story of the race!  Allez Jean!  and Sam of course:)

The non foiling boats in 2016 had to endure harder conditions because they had to chase pressure while the foiling boats could manage 450nm+ days in 15-20 knots. 

It isn’t even close which is going to come out on top before the fleet even gets past cape Leeuwin. I can see ppl have legit concerns before 2016 - but there’s really no argument when the foilers finished at a no lower rate than non-foilers but totally made their journey shorter. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Way back in time one competitor had a brand new light mainsail for the Cape Horn to France run.... Was it Alain Gautier ? Smaller sails used then.

A fresh main when beating is always great. But I wonder if the weight of the spare mainsail carried around the world, outweighed the advantage of the spare main, especially in light weather, if you want to finish in the top.

47 minutes ago, stief said:

Did he say his 3rd reef ripped . . .  or almost ripped? 

'Slipped', I think, Stief - as in got loose. But he was lucky no damage sustained.

Edited by Sailbydate
Missed replies
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The patch itself can be stronger than the mainsail - assuming his mainsail isn’t weathered and UV damaged into loose filaments the substrate should be fine. 

I have to admit tho - Koji is 67. And given his stated goal and he general approach of trying to finish - I kind of question why the Charal sister boat thing and not do what BP did for Cremer. 

I think it had to do with the limit to the number of starters. A new boat guaranteed you a spot.

Boss' gybe took quite a  bit longer than Cams.  They both gybed within 20 mins or so of each other.  TWS for the next few days look to be in the low to mid teens so boat speeds should be pretty similar, until the wind speed goes over 14 or so and TWA moves forward a couple more degrees.  That looks to give the foiling Boss a speed edge for maybe 10 to 15 hours or so. Again this is all based on the armchair routing and polars I'm slowly building. 39 updates so far.

Vendee20.JPG

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Herman said:

A fresh main when beating is always great. But I wonder if the weight of the spare mainsail carried around the world, outweighed the advantage of the spare main, especially in light weather, if you want to finish in the top. 

He won  :) But that was one of the first big roached mainsails he took with him. And sails were not as long living then, different times.... but it was a surprise act.

1 hour ago, 2flit said:

Are there 'glued panels' in the sails already? Somehow I thought these sails were too large to be laid up as a single build,

The sails are glued but usually in a more controlled environment. The problem is doing it alone and in weather.

23 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Boss' gybe took quite a  bit longer than Cams.  They both gybed within 20 mins or so of each other.  TWS for the next few days look to be in the low to mid teens so boat speeds should be pretty similar, until the wind speed goes over 14 or so and TWA moves forward a couple more degrees.  That looks to give the foiling Boss a speed edge for maybe 10 to 15 hours or so. Again this is all based on the armchair routing and polars I'm slowly building. 39 updates so far.

Thanks Hitch. Eyeball says the route passes, about 150 nm west of the Cape Verdes? 

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

I figured it may be a cultural thing and the flashiness of a foiling boat for advertising for the sponsor.  That and Charal's sister ship should be easy to sell at the end of the process.

It would be neat to know the real story, and also how the purchase of the sister ship worked.   Does Charal get a kick back, considering they paid for the initial design and mold manufacture?

The latest track for Koji has me a little nervous.  It appears he's jibed but is getting pulled back towards the center of Theta.  With only foresails and without the main, to balance his sail plan, he might be at the mercy of the storm until it dies out.   

2 hours ago, socalrider said:

2 hours ago, Herman said:

I have never seen a sailboat with 2 mains onboard. There is no room for the volume of sail to stow away.

I think this time around they are also limited in the number of sails they can have on board (8; correct? Someone, correct me if I am wrong). So with one main and one compulsory storm jib, that gives you "only" 6 stay sails/downwind sails to play with. So this year, I am pretty sure that nobody took a second mainsail, at the expense of a well needed staysail.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Chasm said:

The sails are glued but usually in a more controlled environment. The problem is doing it alone and in weather.

It'll be a great sales pitch for the 3di sails if Koji does glue it takes it all the way around with the repair.  

We briefly looked at putting 3di sails on a new cat we were considering a couple years ago (for a cruisy circumnavigation). One part of the sell job was that the sail could be repaired anywhere in the world with the epoxy (as I recall) and patches that North provides and we'd be back to 100%.  But at the time they couldn't provide me with any examples of that being done, since none of them had ripped. Which IMO was a pretty solid testament for the sails.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Miffy said:

Oh just casually making a video about an afternoon sail in 40 knots on my sled of a boat and tidying up the mailsail. 

Doesn't look or sound anything like 40 to 60 there.

He would not be standing up like that in 50 knots.

11 minutes ago, tDot said:

One part of the sell job was that the sail could be repaired anywhere in the world with the epoxy (as I recall) and patches that North provides and we'd be back to 100%

Having enough glue was one of the torn mainsail problems for Mapfre  . . . and they weren't single-handed.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, astro said:

Doesn't look or sound anything like 40 to 60 there.

He would not be standing up like that in 50 knots.

Shrug the angle and distortion of the wide angle mast cam makes it rather hard. I believe Alex Thomson’s reporting. 

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

Shrug the angle and distortion of the wide angle mast cam makes it rather hard. I believe Alex Thomson’s reporting. 

I'm sure that it was 40 to 60 at some time.  Would be lucky to be 40 at the time of the report.

50 knots will blow you off your feet.

3 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

You don’t think it is to do with how Dtf is measured?

Perhaps. A bit of a crapshoot with crossing the doldrums and for a while it looked like Theta might’ve given a brief window to whoever gets there first like Le Cam.

Weather routing towards a virtual waypoint (40S 30E) for JLC afternoon position. Overlays for CAPE as indicator of the ITCZ (see the red circle) and satellite visible clouds thanks to Windity. Delta is two hours difference between JLC and Thompson, with the same polars, which is absolutely nothing. Arctic exclusion zone is not a problem yet. Weather routing is more or less due south in dark red. This is going to be an interesting race between Le Cam and Thompson towards Cape of Good Hope!

VG_14-11-20_routing_CAPE_and_sat_clouds.png

route only 14-22-20.png

Routing global 14-11-20.png

• Like 7
54 minutes ago, tDot said:

It'll be a great sales pitch for the 3di sails if Koji does glue it takes it all the way around with the repair.  

We briefly looked at putting 3di sails on a new cat we were considering a couple years ago (for a cruisy circumnavigation). One part of the sell job was that the sail could be repaired anywhere in the world with the epoxy (as I recall) and patches that North provides and we'd be back to 100%.  But at the time they couldn't provide me with any examples of that being done, since none of them had ripped. Which IMO was a pretty solid testament for the sails.

I’d buy them.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Overlays for CAPE as indicator of the ITCZ (see the red circle) and satellite visible clouds thanks to Windity.

Thanks Herman. I was puzzled when Mike Golding on the Live, and the SeaWolf commentator yesterday, both mentioned the Doldrums being unusually further north. The Windy sat pics overlay (sure like seeing the fleet also) looks almost . . .  normal?

8 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks Herman. I was puzzled when Mike Golding on the Live, and the SeaWolf commentator yesterday, both mentioned the Doldrums being unusually further north. The Windy sat pics overlay (sure like seeing the fleet also) looks almost . . .  normal?

I will have a look at my screenshots of the doldrums for previous VOR/TOR races and the VG tomorrow to validate

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Herman said:

I will have a look at my screenshots of the doldrums for previous VOR/TOR races and the VG tomorrow to validate

nah, no need. Just wondered if you happened to notice anything a bit odd. 

Whatever the case, glad to see both you and Hitch indicate a relatively painless path south. 

38 minutes ago, Herman said:

Weather routing towards a virtual waypoint (40S 30E) for JLC afternoon position. Overlays for CAPE as indicator of the ITCZ (see the red circle) and satellite visible clouds thanks to Windity. Delta is two hours difference between JLC and Thompson, with the same polars, which is absolutely nothing. Arctic exclusion zone is not a problem yet. Weather routing is more or less due south in dark red. This is going to be an interesting race between Le Cam and Thompson towards Cape of Good Hope!

VG_14-11-20_routing_CAPE_and_sat_clouds.png

route only 14-22-20.png

Routing global 14-11-20.png

Noice... Thank you!

Personally, I think there are no options for king Jean with the Boss, unless bad luck w/ mechanic or structural problems... there is no possible comparision

THIS  2CV.thumb.jpg.da25e96655511821ccdc116cd237f9d8.jpg   VS   Lambor.jpg.006a4fb13e28f71b647f515354ef847d.jpg

Everyone is +100 miles behind in 6 days, Alex's dominance is total and leaves no doubts... and after one of the rudest starts of the race with not ideal conditions (very bad for his boat indeed). A shame Beyou and his steelBull is out, he was the real deal and contender, (Dalin, Ruyant, Escoffier are top dogs for sure but have allmost or no VG experience at all...)

As I say, unless mechanical problems... this year's race has just one clear favourite & dominant boat...

On these IMOCA 60's when they talk of gybing the boat in 40 knots of air solo, will they be gybing or would they chicken gybe?

33 minutes ago, Herman said:

Delta is two hours difference between JLC and Thompson, with the same polars, which is absolutely nothing. 

Are you saying you've set the polars for JLC and HB the same?

Or the same polars that you've used previously?

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar

You're gonna go far, you're gonna fly high

You're never gonna die

You're gonna make it if you try

They're gonna love you

Everybody else is just green

Have you seen the chart?

It's a helluva start

It could be made into a monster ... (apologies to Roger Waters)

I can't remember a more exciting start, few withdrawals (hoping Charal/Beyou restart), boats always close, and throw in a hurricane ! 

Thanks to all the contributors, especially the translators.

It's a helluva start !

Edited by t.rex
clarity
11 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Noice... Thank you!

Personally, I think there are no options for king Jean with the Boss, unless bad luck w/ mechanic or structural problems... there is no possible comparision

THIS  2CV.thumb.jpg.da25e96655511821ccdc116cd237f9d8.jpg   VS   Lambor.jpg.006a4fb13e28f71b647f515354ef847d.jpg

Everyone is +100 miles behind in 6 days, Alex's dominance is total and leaves no doubts... and after one of the rudest starts of the race with not ideal conditions (very bad for his boat indeed). A shame Beyou and his steelBull is out, he was the real deal and contender, (Dalin, Rouyant, Escoffier are top dogs for sure but have allmost or no VG experience at all...)

As I say unless mechanical problems this year's race has one clear favourite & dominant boat...

That's a fun comparo for sure and could be very close to reality.  Here is a scenario where Boss sails to polars and Cam sails at 13% below Boss polars. (This matches the last update for BS for both boats).  One has to discount TWA for cam as the two boats perform so differently in varying TWA.  But it could potentially play out like this at the equator. The polars are getting closer to matching updates for both TWA and BS for Boss.  Still missing some data points to fair the curve but it is getting there.

Vendee20.JPG

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, kcolborne said:

On these IMOCA 60's when they talk of gybing the boat in 40 knots of air solo, will they be gybing or would they chicken gybe?

You can play back the tracks on the tracker and see. 

My favourite IMOCA heavy air gybe story from Conrad Colman:

Day 44

I was afraid that the autopilot would be drowned but it is mounted high enough that it wasn't touched. Only my nerves were fried this time! How did I stop the leak on this carbon fiber racing yacht full of high tech stuff? With a wooden bung! Sometimes it pays to go back to the basics when it's blowing 40kts!

Escaping (nearby competitors) isn't easy however as I discovered both in the last storm but also last night when I had to gybe around the corner of the exclusion zone. While running down the no go zone, the wind continued to increase until it was gusting 40 and the boat was pitching down the valleys of the swells and sending up walls of spray that made for white-out conditions in the light of my headlamp. Clouds covered the moon so I was on my own for the maneuver with just my headlamp and foredeck light to judge the moment to gybe. I waited until a lull in the wind showed me my moment and I was able to pull the 170 square meter reacher around to the windward side and run downwind like a bird with one sail spread out on each side of the boat. With the big sail through I was able to accelerate the boat on a wave to take the pressure off the mainsail so I could bring it across without shock loading the rig. Like comedy, gybing is all about timing but the pressure is higher as one false move when choosing when to release a barber hauler, swing the keel, swap the backstays or grind on the sheets would result in more than just a joke falling flat!

Shortly after the first, I had to gybe again to take on the new course and again the sky was black and I had to pick a lull when the wind was blowing less than 30kts. Just minutes after my final maneuver for the night the sky cleared to reveal a beautiful starry sky and a powerful moon that would have made my life a lot easier just moments before. Clearly the joke was on me but the thousands of gybes I have done since I started in the Mini Transat in 2009, and the muscle memory I have created, served me well when I needed it and I'm still here, ready to gybe another day.

https://www.uksailmakers.com/news/2016/12/23/conrad-colman-fighting-on-in-the-vendee-globe

• Like 10
4 minutes ago, stief said:

https://www.uksailmakers.com/news/2016/12/23/conrad-colman-fighting-on-in-the-vendee-globe

I didn't know if the trackers would be accurate enough to show the difference for sure.
I singlehand my 35 ft boat enough to have a lot of respect for how difficult that would be.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Noice... Thank you!

Everyone is +100 miles behind in 6 days, Alex's dominance is total and leaves no doubts... and after one of the rudest starts of the race with not ideal conditions (very bad for his boat indeed). A shame Beyou and his steelBull is out, he was the real deal and contender, (Dalin, Ruyant, Escoffier are top dogs for sure but have allmost or no VG experience at all...)

As I say, unless mechanical problems... this year's race has just one clear favourite & dominant boat...

Gabart won with no VG experience at all..... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stief said:

Isabelle had an interesting 30 minutes recently

1 hour ago, Buck Turgidson said:

She's just passing theta so all the fun of the fair.

She did a nice job of hooking into the remains of Theta for a boost south (as did Kojiro).  But I suspect she'll have to do some masterful routing to hold onto those gains through the light patch opening up south of Theta.  I won't say it's impossible, but it's sure going to be tricky.

Edit to add: Pip and Didac seem to be grabbing a bit of Theta too.

18 minutes ago, stief said:

After my daughter is done with college and I'm done racing on fully crewed programs, I am thinking of getting a suitable boat under 35 feet for shorthanded and single handed racing.  When I read stuff like this I seriously question the wisdom of such an endeavour!

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Gabart won with no VG experience at all..... 

TBF the VG is about as much of a development buildup/team management exercise as it is about solo sailing/risk-boat management. Gabart had a flawless buildup on the strength of his sponsors, the prof & his own unusually mature open minded focus. 

like the saying goes - most skippers know whether they have a shot by the time they leave the dock. 

26 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Noice... Thank you!

As I say unless mechanical problems this year's race has one clear favourite & dominant boat...

I think JLC is in an original Mini Cooper.  He's been racing HB on the back roads of the Swiss and Italian Alps. But now they have worked their way through the traffic of Milan, and are just about to hit the Italian motorways and the Lamborghini that HB is driving is finally going to be able to stretch its legs.

25 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

single handed racing

Good points. My wife and daughter apparently conspired between them, so my wife went on my last little 'solo' run. They don't trust me alone. :P

btw--You must have faced the decision of gybing in 40kts on your tours. Conrad didn't have foils. Wondering if a chicken gybe is more or less of a risk for the foilers?

8 minutes ago, stief said:

Good points. My wife and daughter apparently conspired between them, so my wife went on my last little 'solo' run. They don't trust me alone. :P

btw--You must have faced the decision of gybing in 40kts on your tours. Conrad didn't have foils. Wondering if a chicken gybe is more or less of a risk for the foilers?

It's a very different proposition when you're on a fully crewed boat!!  

I did once do a single handed gybe on my old Laser 28 with the Spi up.  That was interesting!

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Lke the saying goes - most skippers know whether they have a shot by the time they leave the dock. 

At the dock out AT walked to his boat like a he knew he already had it in his pocket. Just had to pull some sheets and round a few capes to finish it of. 

(of course Yeremie Beyou proved you also need a bit of luck). 

7 hours ago, Herman said:

It’s more nuanced than that, ORR Rule 10.02 strictly prohibits carrying more than 1 mainsail: https://offshoreracingrule.org/images/stories/pdf/ORR--2018-ver1.4-March262018.pdf

13 minutes ago, Miffy said:

lol imoca doesn’t care about ORR. 

Yes, well aware that the IMOCA class rules apply but as stated above there is a sail limit. I can’t think of a single offshore race where carrying an extra main is allowed.

1 hour ago, European Bloke said:

Jesus people. There's a fuck of a lot of racing to do here. How much stuff has fallen off, fallen down or got knocked off in this race in the past?

Nobody says the opposite... in fact...

Jeremie says...  past?... put@in! WTF... past...

Beyou2.thumb.jpg.4f7d0548f4d78d785eff7a0833d405e6.jpg

I'll be back...!!

1 hour ago, Chasm said:

A lot more.
Day 6 and nobody is officially out yet. - No record but not bad either.

A lot lot more yep... 2 Doldrums, 3 Capes, 3 Southern Oceans, sunfishes & spermwhales, debris, etc... a whole wide world of posibilities out front...

Meanwhile in Charal's headquarters technical team working on repairs and taming their options...

A few scratches and repairs, COURAGE! and ale ale!.. set sail and off again Mr Beyou!