Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Looks like JLC slowed down but did not get stuck. The foilers behind him are of course a threat, older boats not so much. At least not for a while. There is always a chance that he parks while they sail around him.
Pip is still looking good. Behind her things are getting slowly ...slower. That can't be fun.
Kojiro is still moving along. I wonder if we hear more from him today

JLC #2? That is a tall order. I'm sure there will be some foilers behind him. First in conventional boats is certainly in the cards. Would be great after all his sponsor troubles.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, sunol said:

I assume AT hit foiling conditions before Apiva and LinkedOut to explain the jump. But those guys will hit them as well and back up a bit. Or not. Both Le Cam and Alex are in their own class so far.

Likely, I feel like HB has had slightly better vmg when in similar conditions though. Always slightly lower course. I know someone will have a spreadsheet to prove me wrong/right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chasm said:

JLC #2? That is a tall order. I'm sure there will be some foilers behind him. First in conventional boats is certainly in the cards. Would be great after all his sponsor troubles.

It's irrational, but I'm calling it. He's got a lead, he's got a boat that can get around, he's been around more than anyone else in this race (I think?), throw in an attrition coefficient and maybe it's not that unlikely... whatever, it's unlikely but I'm still calling it :) . Alex got second in a foiling boat without a foil. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jean Le Cam dropped 30 miles to Alex during that last sked period. The next foiler Linked out is some 128 miles behind. Apivia still 174 miles behind will need some good periods to catch up. The Doldrums could be massive for Alex if he continues to lead when he get's there? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, terrafirma said:

Jean Le Cam dropped 30 miles to Alex during that last sked period. The next foiler Linked out is some 128 miles behind. Apivia still 174 miles behind will need some good periods to catch up. The Doldrums could be massive for Alex if he continues to lead when he get's there? 

Yes, if Alex finds a path through and they don't... he's gone. Le Cam will find Alex's path, and should be faster in Doldrums conditions. Le Cam will keep pushing Alex

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoeBleaux said:

It's irrational, but I'm calling it. He's got a lead, he's got a boat that can get around, he's been around more than anyone else in this race (I think?), throw in an attrition coefficient and maybe it's not that unlikely... whatever, it's unlikely but I'm still calling it :) . Alex got second in a foiling boat without a foil. 

The attrition coefficient has more to do with it. He dropped 30 miles to Alex during the last sked period. The foilers only need a couple of decent 24 hour runs to put Le Cam behind them IMO. Le Cam seems to be sailing the smartest with routing and positioning so that alone could get him up there or keep him there etc?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

The attrition coefficient has more to do with it. He dropped 30 miles to Alex during the last sked period. The foilers only need a couple of decent 24 hour runs to put Le Cam behind them IMO. Le Cam seems to be sailing the smartest with routing and positioning so that alone could get him up there or keep him there etc?

Concur... but while Le Cam lost out to Boss he didn't to the other foilers. It's likely they're in different winds, if Cam can get a system ahead well see... but like you said the attrition coefficient isn't taken lightly(Boss is certainly part of this). I love  le Cam's story so I'm particularly partial. Go Alex and the Le Cam!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My my, such great story lines. Old vs new boats, EN vs FR at the front, F vs M, and on and on. Loving this race, yet feeling sad for JB (Charal).

@Laurent, thanks for linking to the French Daily a few pages ago. Hoping I can keep finding them here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0pdv_hgDx7oTT3kJAMnd5A .  Us in Canada want both versions (country and western :), yet Google doesn't know that yet. I love Kito's description of HB as a "war machine". Andi is good but I like Helene's hosting a lot - worth watching for anglos like me.

Much more to come.  I thank the IMOCA world and VG for this solace and source of sanity this winter. So glad you made the race happen.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every boat out there is one UFO away from retiring....

 

Boris's post about how they set a speed to set their course was very enlightening.  I think HB is doing a really good job of just heading to the next breeze and shaving some corners.  It could also be that his foils are more well rounded(get it?) and once they hit the SO the other foils will be better.  At this rate it might not matter....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rainier said:

Every boat out there is one UFO away from retiring....

 

Boris's post about how they set a speed to set their course was very enlightening.  I think HB is doing a really good job of just heading to the next breeze and shaving some corners.  It could also be that his foils are more well rounded(get it?) and once they hit the SO the other foils will be better.  At this rate it might not matter....

 I think the Boss Foils are already better, hence his ability to soak lower in most conditions. SO will tell the true story. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Every boat out there is one UFO away from retiring....

 

Boris's post about how they set a speed to set their course was very enlightening.  I think HB is doing a really good job of just heading to the next breeze and shaving some corners.  It could also be that his foils are more well rounded(get it?) and once they hit the SO the other foils will be better.  At this rate it might not matter....

Based upon comments by Alex and others If anything his foils will be better in the southern ocean then the others who have tried to maintain same form of across and upwind performance.  So basically he’s banking on getting far enough ahead by Cape Horn that the others can’t catch him.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

JLC has had an amazing race, I'm pulling for him to do well. But looking at the conditions in the next 72 hours, it wouldn't surprise me if some or the foilers start passing him before the Cape of Good Hope. The speed that the foilers are able to maintain is just too great.  The west side of the Doldrums look to have more pressure then normal and with the 4-6 day outlook showing an increase in pressure, Le Cam could be passed before the turn at Brazil. (Assuming some of the foilers make it out of the wind hole that's developing).   But Charlie Dalin pulling 16knots in 9 knots of breeze is pretty awesome.

Coming back up the Atlantic will play to JLC's strengths. If the foilers can't put enough distance between themselves and JLC, before Cape Horn, he may be able to pick a few off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeBleaux said:

Concur... but while Le Cam lost out to Boss he didn't to the other foilers. It's likely they're in different winds, if Cam can get a system ahead well see... but like you said the attrition coefficient isn't taken lightly(Boss is certainly part of this). I love  le Cam's story so I'm particularly partial. Go Alex and the Le Cam!

100% completely agree and share your love for Le Cam's story..! As I do Alex for reasons previously mentioned. At the moment and according to the wind overlay if that's accurate Alex should be able to set the boat up, lock her in on Auto, and catch up on some rest/sleep and some media work. He has hit the pressure before the other foilers and predictably stretched away on Le Cam.  He may stretch further looking at the weather. The doldrums looking not too bad ATM but they aren't there yet.! :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any ideas why Charal is tied up so far from the foot of the ramp, is it a depth issue?

I would think that with all the work they want to do, they would be as close to the ramp as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeBleaux said:

It's irrational, but I'm calling it. He's got a lead, he's got a boat that can get around, he's been around more than anyone else in this race (I think?), throw in an attrition coefficient and maybe it's not that unlikely... whatever, it's unlikely but I'm still calling it :) . Alex got second in a foiling boat without a foil. 

Love the race Le Cam is sailing, but fully expect more of the foilers to overtake him before Cape of good hope. Barring a hell of a lot lot of boats breaking, he should not have a shot at the podium places. He is more than capable of beating some of the foilers, but not the top bunch. Last race he was the second non-foiler (by a very, very slim margin), but took 80 days to get round which was 6 days slower than the winner. This time, the fastest boats expect to be back in around 70 days, hard to see where Yes we Cam will find that sort of performance gain.

Alex Thomson has a nice little buffer to the other latest gen boats, but that could deflate fast in the doldrums if he is unlucky. It seems to be a usual pattern with him that he is a bit slow and seeming disorganised the first 36 hours out of Les Sabe only to sail really well after the biscay.

Apivia's more conservative approach is interesting. Lets see how that works out.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, staysail said:

Just wondering, in the history of this long race has it ever been won by the leader at this stage?

Not sure, possibly Vincent Riou (2004-2005), IRRC he was in the lead by the Cape Verdies at least. But maybe not yet on day 7.

Link to post
Share on other sites

60 is the new 30..

You call them foils, but they are just like those little wheels kids use to learn bicycling (dunno the eng term)

Rookies... :)

I love King Le Cam

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, staysail said:

Just wondering, in the history of this long race has it ever been won by the leader at this stage?

I feel like Thompson & Armel being somewhat well sorted by this point, but that could be my imagination. I remember Alex sailing right through a group of islands to take the lead... was it the Cape Verdes of something further North?

 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, staysail said:

Stabilisers

Thanks! To you and all the contributors of this thread. I am an avid reader! Great insights

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JoeBleaux said:

I feel like Thompson & Armel being somewhat well sorted by this point, but that could be my imagination. I remember Alex sailing right through a group of islands to take the lead... was it the Cape Verdes of something further North?

 
 

Yes, it was the Cape Verdes: https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2016/11/13/vendee-globe-thomson-leads-doldums/

AT took over the lead from AL at this stage and went on to have a very fast passage through the doldrums 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JoeBleaux said:

I feel like Thompson & Armel being somewhat well sorted by this point, but that could be my imagination. I remember Alex sailing right through a group of islands to take the lead... was it the Cape Verdes of something further North?

 
 

Recap Vendée Globe 2016

- The fastest Vendée Globe in history: 74 days, 03 hours, 35 minutes and 46 seconds. Armel Le Cléac'h went around the world at an average of 13.8 knots and took 4 days less than the - reference time of the event, which had been held since 2013 by Francois Gabart.
- The best sprint: with a record distance of 536.81 miles covered in 24 hours (22.4 knots average), Alex Thomson (Hugo Boss) took the 24-hour record in monohull and solo!
- The record in Ecuador for Alex Thomson (Hugo Boss), in 9 days 7 hours 2 minutes, 1 day and 4 hours ahead of Jean Le Cam's record since 2004.The record at the Cape of Good Hope for Alex Thomson, in 17 days 22 hours 58 minutes, 5 days ahead of Armel Le Cléac'h's record in 2012.
- The record at Cape Leeuwin for Armel Le Cléac'h (Popular Bank VIII), in 28 days, 20 hours, 12 minutes, almost 6 days ahead of François Gabart's reference time in 2012.
- The record at Cape Horn for Armel Le Cléac'h, in 47 days and 32 minutes, 5 days ahead of François Gabart's reference time in 2013
- The record in Ecuador for Armel Le Cléac'h in 61 days 12 hours and 21 minutes, 4 days ahead of the reference time held by François Gabart in 2013
- Finally, a new race record for the winner Armel Le Cléac'h, in 74 days, 03 hours, 35 minutes and 46 seconds, 4 days less than François Gabart in 2013.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, minca3 said:

Yes, it was the Cape Verdes: https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2016/11/13/vendee-globe-thomson-leads-doldums/

AT took over the lead from AL at this stage and went on to have a very fast passage through the doldrums 

Right, Armel gybed just N of Santo Antao, and Alex sailed right through Santo Anato & Sao Vicente. That's how I remember it at least... pretty balls-

y way to take the lead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vesa said:

You can see AIS all the time, this is HB received over satellite :

 

How consistent is the reception?

 

There was some discussion on consistency of class B AIS and satellite reception, but I guess it has improved a lot since early days?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, vesa said:


You can see AIS all the time, this is HB received over satellite :

 

 

 

 

934CD10B-F21A-4932-AFAF-CC010B8A780A.jpeg

If, hypothetically, I wrote a script that used you marine traffic premium subscription to take a screenshot of the Vendée fleet and put it online every 30 mins, would that be acceptable?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, james3232 said:

If, hypothetically, I wrote a script that used you marine traffic premium subscription to take a screenshot of the Vendée fleet and put it online every 30 mins, would that be acceptable?

Not for the race committee I guess, as it works around their limited update schedule. 

Not to mention the Marinetraffic.com User Agreement: "The User shall use the Information and Data for his/her own internal use only. Except as otherwise set forth herein, The User shall have no other rights with respect to the Data, including without limitation, any right otherwise to use, distribute, furnish or resell the Data or any portion or derivative thereof". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tDot said:

It'll be a great sales pitch for the 3di sails if Koji does glue it takes it all the way around with the repair.  

We briefly looked at putting 3di sails on a new cat we were considering a couple years ago (for a cruisy circumnavigation). One part of the sell job was that the sail could be repaired anywhere in the world with the epoxy (as I recall) and patches that North provides and we'd be back to 100%.  But at the time they couldn't provide me with any examples of that being done, since none of them had ripped. Which IMO was a pretty solid testament for the sails. 

Hell of a job on your own!

Hell of a job on your own!.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, noaano said:

 

How consistent is the reception?

 

There was some discussion on consistency of class B AIS and satellite reception, but I guess it has improved a lot since early days?

Not great , usually 1-2 hours delayed 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Geert said:

Not for the race committee I guess, as it works around their limited update schedule. 

Not to mention the Marinetraffic.com User Agreement: "The User shall use the Information and Data for his/her own internal use only. Except as otherwise set forth herein, The User shall have no other rights with respect to the Data, including without limitation, any right otherwise to use, distribute, furnish or resell the Data or any portion or derivative thereof". 

I have only activated  “Access Plus 24” for a few boats around HB. It gives you data for 24 hours, costs 1€ per boat. However, checkpoints are  usually 1-2 hours delayed. I also think that Geert is making some good points there. But I have to say, it did cross my mind too .. ;-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cammas and Caudrelier are on the daily VG live, they just said they are considering taking a window next Wednesday, meaning the window should also be good for Jérémie on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Jérémie's team will anounce if they restart tomorrow afternoon.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 5:10 PM, ivansh said:

image.thumb.png.b4a56abd4fb28209129ad04f8658c3f9.png

My amateurish attempt at weather routing Le Cam, Troussel, and Ruyant to an arbitrary point with identical polars. Ruyant supposedly has a 3hr advantage, but that's probably well within any margin of error.

On a related note, can anyone tell me why opencpn refuses to drop my weather routing positions where I click them?

Move the green bit on the right over to the left and you are getting close. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rico said:

My my, such great story lines. Old vs new boats, EN vs FR at the front, F vs M, and on and on. Loving this race, yet feeling sad for JB (Charal).

@Laurent, thanks for linking to the French Daily a few pages ago. Hoping I can keep finding them here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0pdv_hgDx7oTT3kJAMnd5A .  Us in Canada want both versions (country and western :), yet Google doesn't know that yet. I love Kito's description of HB as a "war machine". Andi is good but I like Helene's hosting a lot - worth watching for anglos like me.

Much more to come.  I thank the IMOCA world and VG for this solace and source of sanity this winter. So glad you made the race happen.

 

Even with my very poor schoolboy French I really enjoy watching the French dailies.  So much better presented than the English version and a consistently fantastic range of guests.

Thanks to all the native French speakers for the translations in this thread - great additional insight that goes over my head in French!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeBleaux said:

Right, Armel gybed just N of Santo Antao, and Alex sailed right through Santo Anato & Sao Vicente. That's how I remember it at least... pretty balls-

y way to take the lead. 

Correct. He has kite surfed there and knows it well. Missed the lee side hole threading the needle.

Brave move..big gain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herman said:

Voile et Voiliers

Beyou: "I will give myself until Monday afternoon to take a decision"

Saw that and thought it is good news because it would seem to indicate that their initial triage of the boat showed the potential to fix it in time. If it was out of the question then there would be no decision. Fingers crossed. I would love to see JB try to run some records off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeBleaux said:

I feel like Thompson & Armel being somewhat well sorted by this point, but that could be my imagination. I remember Alex sailing right through a group of islands to take the lead... was it the Cape Verdes of something further North?

 
 

I think the Verdes he went left and the others right

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

What do you think of the race so far?

Had a cry for the black boat and hope he has a restart. The weather conspiring against the foilers has been a godsend compressing the fleet...however other side of the Neptune line and the SE trades kick in will be their turn. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what Jérémie Beyou said about the repairs in  an interview by newpaper L'Equipe yesterday.

Repairs to start again “You have to try to erase the emotion a little, be systematic. We give ourselves 24 hours to check the boat, the main damage. Obviously, in the shock, there was a lot of collateral damage so you have to check the entire boat. In 24 hours, we will have an inventory of what is broken, what is repairable, how it is and I hope that we will have a date within the time frame that is allotted to leave (from here Wednesday, November 18, 2:20 p.m., the official closing of the line). If we are able to repair, yes of course we will start. If technically possible, that's the goal. We will leave if the boat is repairable. We are still in this technical problem. This is the problem with our sport, and with motor sports. The sailor alone with his 10 fingers does not do much. I am convinced, from what I see, that we will succeed in repairing. Now, the devil is often hiding in the detail and we will have to assess. We will quickly find out what it emerges and in 24 hours, we will make the decision. "
https://www.lequipe.fr/Voile/Actualites/Jeremie-beyou-charal-de-retour-aux-sables-d-olonne-oui-j-ai-envie-de-repartir/1194436
1844521260_Charalback.PNG.1beb2a8f26ea4de7e22689f34821a19b.PNG
No news ever since. The startline closes Wednesday.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Scary to hear in today's VG live that team HB revealed Alex had a very violent broach near Theta's center, boat ending up flat... backuping a bit w/ no damages to rig... :ph34r:

Boris awesome live dashboard offering some very interesting data on loads in Rig, max's of almost 15 Tonnes in Port Outrigger and 10 Tonnes in starboard foil...

https://exocet.cloud/grafana/d/bsbc_5MGz/malizia-public-dasboard?orgId=15&from=now-24h&to=now  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A new development on the tracker front.
This time as plugin for windy.com, adding a new layer with positions and tracks.

There is a post in the windy forums. But the easier explanation with pictures is on cruisersforum of all places and I don't mean the one here on SA...
One issue: I have to add the plugin every time I close or reload windy. Even if I'm logged into windy.

Kevin also did a tracker during the last VG. This is definitely not my work, I just found it.

Also a reminder that Boris Hermanns scientific data dashboard is live and not on the official VG schedule.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Tripon finally got to what's left of Theta.  He'll exit in an awkward spot.  Much further East than most would normally want for a doldrums approach.

I'm still kinda thinking he and/or Beyou will wind up on the podium eventually.  Maybe unrealistic, but those are fast boats and there's a long way to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chasm said:

A new development on the tracker front.
This time as plugin for windy.com, adding a new layer with positions and tracks.

Gr8 thank you!... very cool, interesting and very usefull..., (overlaying different clouds layers for DolDrums and waves for the Southern Oceans)SONov.thumb.jpg.6eac779ea99292a33650d17c5848f26b.jpg

Can't wait to see the fleet flying down in the southern oceans... this week the roaring forties and howling fifties look beast

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Soton_Speed said:

Does anyone know what VMG data from VG is relative to? Wind, Mark, or...?

I guess south.
You can measure it, if you are a fanatic.:D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that it matters in real race terms but it is interesting how everyone talks about the Cape of Good Hope as the turning point. When we sailed around this 'corner' of Africa from Simon's Town to CT, the impressive feature is Cape Point which is a few km further south and east and really marks the end of the land mass. The photo is of the Cape of Good Hope from the top of Cape Point, looking west and north. Neither is the furthest south point in Africa, that is Cape Agulhas which is quite a bit further east. Of course the racers will keep offshore in this part of the world to avoid the remains of the westbound Agulhas Current.

image.thumb.png.049ee9cb9ea49ab8a43b05896f695556.png

image.png.2e645af9f99bd11d9bdec6cd02c66c8d.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Chasm said:

A new development on the tracker front.
This time as plugin for windy.com, adding a new layer with positions and tracks.

There is a post in the windy forums. But the easier explanation with pictures is on cruisersforum of all places and I don't mean the one here on SA...
One issue: I have to add the plugin every time I close or reload windy. Even if I'm logged into windy.

Kevin also did a tracker during the last VG. This is definitely not my work, I just found it.

Also a reminder that Boris Hermanns scientific data dashboard is live and not on the official VG schedule.

Thanks for that great find Chasm. That plugin is a bit tricky to load , but well worth the effort. Kevin Saliou sure has helped us data addicts, and I like the way we can quickly popup the 30m/last/24hr stats.

631886566_ScreenShot2020-11-15at9_10_45AM.thumb.png.0f896887fe98b594418f7e31e922c98d.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chasm said:

A new development on the tracker front.
This time as plugin for windy.com, adding a new layer with positions and tracks.

There is a post in the windy forums. But the easier explanation with pictures is on cruisersforum of all places and I don't mean the one here on SA...
One issue: I have to add the plugin every time I close or reload windy. Even if I'm logged into windy.

Kevin also did a tracker during the last VG. This is definitely not my work, I just found it.

Also a reminder that Boris Hermanns scientific data dashboard is live and not on the official VG schedule.

I am ashamed to say I found that plug-in on CF. I was able to load in on chrome browser in PC but not safari on my phone. It is pretty good. 

There was also a thread that said “I’m thinking of quitting my job and doing the Vendée Globe and need suggestions on what boat to buy. I live in Iowa and my criteria in order of priority are 1. Foils 2. Composting head 3. Twelve thousand watts of solar to power the TV, PlayStation 5 and bread machine 4. Room for teenagers and a Saint Bernard. 5. It can’t lean over or “heel” as the French say 6. Sail-away condition, though I am handy and not afraid to work hard 7. Under $27K. 8. Diesel motor. I have been sailing a Snark on a fish pond and so I may need a couple days of practice but want to leave next Wednesday with Charal. Thanks in advance.”

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Kind of paints over the leader position changes that occurred thereafter no?

:P Yup. Took some wiggling to find the moment before Alex disproved the conventional wisdom. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Soton_Speed said:

Does anyone know what VMG data from VG is relative to? Wind, Mark, or...?

Usually it's a theoretical waypoint somewhere ahead of the optimum route. This can be confusing as boats pass that waypoint. IIRC, Geoville sometimes painted the waypoint on his tracker. Waiting to see if anything change this time.

Typically at this point in RTW races the point is set near Fernando de Noronha,  since most fleet round it setting up for the southern trades.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, vesa said:

Just finished reading The Sunday Times. Not a single word about  VG, Pip, Sam or Alex. WTF? 

Likewise for the Sunday Telegraph.  Sailing rarely gets a mention in the British press unless it is about Sir Ben...

Very disappointing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JMore said:

Likewise for the Sunday Telegraph.  Sailing rarely gets a mention in the British press unless it is about Sir Ben...

Very disappointing.

VG is too French and pointing out how the competitors and suppliers are all part of this massive community that keeps Hamble and Lorient economy going is embarrassing to some. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

3 hours sleep earlier might have slowed Alex down a little, and again right now.

 

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.30.41 AM.png

Be curious to see if AT will talk about his gybe process at some point - his cockpit has nothing to stack; his living quarters and hanging recliner is centerline. How much side to side weight management he does in the sail locker or what the sail locker looks like inside would be interesting to see. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Alex were to win it would get more attention. Well I can hope. It is traditionally a very French race, and as with all ocean racing suffers from poor spectator viewing, though as the video downloads are getting better that may improve.

I'm impressed with JLC. Makes me think I gave up racing too young. Until I look outside at the pouring rain, take a glug of whisky and start recalling what it was like!

Link to post
Share on other sites