Interesting numbers out of the last five updates for Boss.

2100  yesterday to 1700 today Boss put 59 NM into Cam

Boss 0400 TWA 109 TWS 10.7 BS 15.5

0800 TWA 109 TWS 10.2 BS 17.2

1100 TWA 113 TWS 11.7 BS 15.6

1400 TWA 111 TWS 12.7 BS 19.5

1700 TWA 104 TWS13.0 BS 20.5

Looks like Boss has a sweet spot here in the TWA range and looking at the track that appears to be what they are aiming for TWA vs heading, at least at the moment.

CAPE seems to indicate a fairly easy passage through the Doldrums for the two leaders. Going to be very interesting to see if Boss can continue to increase the distance up to that point.

I was not following the lead up to the race.  Do I recall someone posting that Boss is set up as much for moderate conditions as opposed to the harder SO conditions?  

Vendee20.JPG

• Like 2
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

2 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Apologies if this has already been answered, but for all the routing and whether buffs, are you expecting a park up and fleet consolidation at the doldrums?

Nope. Looks good, see that the isochrones don't get very close for GFS around the ITCZ. But sh*t happens, and the location of the ITCZ projections change. Also corridors to pass open up. Overall, I don't expect a big park-up.

Edit picture 2 has visible clouds with steady trades to the ITCZ and the remnants of Theta in the yellow circle. Time to start tweaking polars.

image.thumb.png.df1aa2463474db0c9046f29686763668.png

Windy_visible_clouds_satview_15-11-20.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Miffy said:

VG is too French and pointing out how the competitors and suppliers are all part of this massive community that keeps Hamble and Lorient economy going is embarrassing to some. 

"Hamble" ? You mean Vannes ? Other ?

20 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I was not following the lead up to the race.  Do I recall someone posting that Boss is set up as much for moderate conditions as opposed to the harder SO conditions?  

From what i have read, and infer,  it's very much setup for running,  rather than beating or even reaching. They've taken a view that up wind speed is irrelevant,  and reaching not that important. 

The foils were also designed to be able to be retracted. 2 benefits,  less drag in the light stuff,  option to depower in the heavier SO conditions.  Rumours were a last minute addition of "vanes?" Along the foil to prevent cavitation. Not sure where these were added along the foil and whether they have significantly impacted this ability. 

In summary,  optimised for running,  but across a wide wind range. This is my guess, could be wrong!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, oioi said:

The foils were also designed to be able to be retracted. 2 benefits,  less drag in the light stuff,  option to depower in the heavier SO conditions.  Rumours were a last minute addition of "vanes?" Along the foil to prevent cavitation. Not sure where these were added along the foil and whether they have significantly impacted this ability. 

They were:

boss.jpg

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Interesting numbers out of the last five updates for Boss.

2100  yesterday to 1700 today Boss put 59 NM into Cam

Boss 0400 TWA 109 TWS 10.7 BS 15.5

0800 TWA 109 TWS 10.2 BS 17.2

1100 TWA 113 TWS 11.7 BS 15.6

1400 TWA 111 TWS 12.7 BS 19.5

1700 TWA 104 TWS13.0 BS 20.5

Looks like Boss has a sweet spot here in the TWA range and looking at the track that appears to be what they are aiming for TWA vs heading, at least at the moment.

CAPE seems to indicate a fairly easy passage through the Doldrums for the two leaders. Going to be very interesting to see if Boss can continue to increase the distance up to that point.

Thanks, interesting yes, First time we have BOSS racing in a fleet... (apart from TJV before colision clusterfuck keel)

Looks like extending miles on everyone (also leCam) until the doldrums glue (less miles on the fastest Apivia and linkedOut...)

In general all the foilers need less wind to perform (range of 15/30 knts) w/ more wind (and waves) the differences tend to flat out...

• Like 2

Corum electrical problems: "I had no choice but to perform an intervention on the electrical circuits before the end of the passage of Storm Theta. As tried and tested as I was relieved, it took me a little time to recover and get back into the race. It's now done."

https://twitter.com/nicotroussel/status/1327998608440954882?s=20

• Like 2

Before VG: AT dOesn’t tRaIn wITh fRenCh his tactics will be poor, boat speed will be missing and can’t measure his pace. 

One week into VG: ...guess the guy who has sailed it for 20 years remembers something more than Figaro guys who talked shit before their boat was even launched. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Do I recall someone posting that Boss is set up as much for moderate conditions as opposed to the harder SO conditions?

Might have been Andrew Cape in the Bar Karate  podcast. Also this article on the VG site , but I think it is a paraphrase of earlier Verdier interviews.

Depending on the profile and shape of the foils these new prototypes can maintain twelve to fifteen knots of speed. Compared to a conventional daggerboard  monohull, they go faster tight reaching (two to three knots more) and upwind for the same VMG, but are much faster in crossed, reaching  winds (five to ten knots or more) and broad reaching (three to six knots faster), while maintaining good VMG downwind, more than 145 ° to the true wind direction.

However, on this Vendée Globe, solo round-the-world without assistance, the angles of tight reaching reaching and broad reaching are most coming, so, in the northeast trade winds, from Madeira to the Doldrums, then in the north then north-westerly breezes from Brazil to the Cape of Good Hope, in the Southern Ocean, then after Cape Horn in a favourable Argentinian depression and back in the northern hemisphere to the finish

Time to crawl out of that damned rabbit hole :P

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Fuck that nobility shit 

:lol: Personally, I rather like that the Brits have a system of making outlier figures, like Tracy Edwards, formally acceptable to the establishment. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, oioi said:

On Live data from Seaexplorer - Yacht Club de Monaco, what's the trim that is refered to?

I first thought it refers to the rudder angle, but the magnitude seems too small for that

Therefore I guess it is the slowpass filtered pitch (for/aft) angle.

I made a webscraper in python (just for the hell of it) to extract the updates from the VG site and save in Expedition format. If anybody is interested I can post the code somewhere.

expss.PNG

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Before VG: AT dOesn’t tRaIn wITh fRenCh his tactics will be poor, boat speed will be missing and can’t measure his pace. 

One week into VG: ...guess the guy who has sailed it for 20 years remembers something more than Figaro guys who talked shit before their boat was even launched. 

Can you elaborate about the Figaro guys who talked shit???

I think that all real French contenders know very well that AT is one of the top contenders. His mode of operation - training on his own without any confrontation with other boats - is not new; and everybody knows it works for him (2 podiums in the last 2 VG are here to prove it). But that mode of operation does not really lead to "camaraderie" or help create a relationship with the other skippers.

It does not mean that he is not well respected by the other skippers, even if some of them may have a hard time to admit it, because, yeah, you know, there is that other thing as well... He is a Brit...

But I don't see that as the other guys talking shit.

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, Varan said:

He will most likely hit something if past history means anything. :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, stief said:

Or break something, as in 2004. 

https://youtu.be/7y159yJ-cbw?t=1213

(ghoul link, but I do like the rudder repair story a few minutes later)

capsizeWavePeer.gif.a9ffe7e008fe9bd9358e3d95eb3032d4.gif

Wow... good vibes super Anarchists camarades... fans of AT's jinxed past full of disasters and bad luck...

The only way he could not win the race (again)... Best wishes from ATR and HB team

3 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I think that all real French contenders know very well that AT is one of the top contenders. His mode of operation - training on his own without any confrontation to other boats - is not new; and everybody knows it works for him (2 podiums in the last 2 VG are here to prove it). But that mode of operation does not really lead to "camaraderie" or help create a relationship with the other skippers.

It does not mean that he is not well respected by the other skippers, even if some of them may have a hard time to admit it, because, yeah, you know, there is that other thing as well... He is a Brit...

A comment extracted from an Alex report video says it all,
As a french sailor I should support my fellow Frenchman sailors but man that's hard not to become a fan of Alex and his team right away. they are next level!
  • Like 2

None of Alex's main rivals made up any distance on him in the last 10 hours or so according to the scheds. JLC out to 51.5nm, Thomas at 136.6nm, Charlie at 182.7nm.

It will be interesting to see if Alex stalls going through the ITCZ, which traditionally allows for the pack to close in on the leader.

1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

Well then. “The Vendée Globe is a fuck a day.” So much for auto-translation.

E36D60B4-B1F4-4104-A446-27DAD42D5441.png

The first comment is a well known saying by Michel Desjoyaux when he explains what is the Vendée Globe:

"Le Vendée Globe, c'est une emmerde par jour".

"The Vendée Globe, it is one fuck-up per day"; or "The Vendée Globe, it is one shitty break down per day"...

Now the burn they refer to in the Instagram post requires some explanations.... Because I doubt the English side of the official site is going to translate what happened...

First of all, I have to say that I am amazed that Clarisse openly discussed her "mis-fortune"...

The French version is below; but once again, the auto-translate to English is crap.

So what happened?

Clarisse explains that she was preparing her first hot drink since the start; she boiled some water to make a tea, poured it in her cup and held the cup between her legs... and spilled the whole drink...

on her pussy... 

(she says "pubis" in the video)

Needless to say: very painful... So call to the race doctor, apply cream for burn scars, take some painkillers... The real risk is infection before it heals but so far, it is healing properly.

She still finds ways to laugh about it: "advice for all of you at home; when you boil water for your hot tea, do not spill it between your legs: it hurts!". She also says: "I found a new way to make a dumbass of myself and therefore give myself a new excuse for losing places in the race"...

She is very candid about it; and I have to say, it is in a weird way, refreshing. (pun intended...)

• Like 9

Sorry if this has been asked already, but what’s up with Corum/Troussel?  Blistering speed at the start, taking only 35 minutes to sail through the fleet after starting late at the wrong end of the line.  Lately has slowed a lot, and the tracker had the boat in single digits for a few scheds.

3 minutes ago, in_TO said:

Sorry if this has been asked already, but what’s up with Corum/Troussel?  Blistering speed at the start, taking only 35 minutes to sail through the fleet after starting late at the wrong end of the line.  Lately has slowed a lot, and the tracker had the boat in single digits for a few scheds.

@stief reported that he had electrical problems: 

5 minutes ago, Laurent said:

So what happened?

Clarisse explains that she was preparing her first hot drink since the start; she boiled some water to make a tea, poured it in her cup and held the cup between her legs... and spilled the whole drink...

I was able to understand that she was burned but not the full picture. Thank you for the clarification. I think...

Seriously, not something you want when you have to work the boat in foulies. Not good.

1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

Well then. “The Vendée Globe is a fuck a day.” So much for auto-translation.

E36D60B4-B1F4-4104-A446-27DAD42D5441.png

Spilled hot tea between her legs. According to Auto-translate its a "Dog Sore!"  I hope they aren't mixing up cats and dogs.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Rafael said:
A comment extracted from an Alex report video says it all,
As a french sailor I should support my fellow Frenchman sailors but man that's hard not to become a fan of Alex and his team right away. they are next level!

I am sorry, but I am going to play it hard nose on this one...

Why "it says it all"? What does that comment say exactly? Allow me to paraphase: "I am a French sailor, and I root for my fellow French sailors; but man! That Alex Thomson is on a league on his own!"

I don't see any "talking shit" here. As an offshore sailing afficionado, the person who made that comment has his preferred team/competitor, but recognises the value of the opposition. If anything, it is a true display of sportsmanship.

Unless you wanted to prove my point, and I missed it completely..

17 minutes ago, tDot said:

Spilled hot tea between her legs. According to Auto-translate its a "Dog Sore!"  I hope they aren't mixing up cats and dogs.

hehehe, I see what you did here....

BTW, in French slang, the female sex is also refered to as a cat (pussy), but more precisely, a female cat: "la chatte" WARNING; this is NOT proper French and considered rude.

In French, when something is really painful, we have a saying; we say it is "un mal de chien": I would rather translate it by "dog's pain".

When you go through a lot of effort / pain to achieve something, you say: "on s'est donné un mal de chien pour faire cela" :  we gave ourselves a dog's pain to do this... In English, you would just say that you went through a lot of pain to do this...

One of those gallicism on which "auto-translate" trips over, on a regular basis...

• Like 9
13 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I am sorry, but I am going to play it hard nose on this one...

Why "it says it all"? What does that comment say exactly? Allow me to paraphase: "I am a French sailor, and I root for my fellow French sailors; but man! That Alex Thomson is on a league on his own!"

I don't see any "talking shit" here. As an offshore sailing afficionado, the person who made that comment has his preferred team/competitor, but recognises the value of the opposition. If anything, it is a true display of sportsmanship.

Unless you wanted to prove my point, and I missed it completely..

"it says it all" refered to Alex's next level or "in his own league" to your... "... some of them may have a hard time to admit it, because, yeah, you know, there is that other thing as well... He is a Brit..." ... my quote was in refering to that phrase and to that sense...

And not to the elaboration you ask initially of "the figaro guys talking shit..." which by the way and honestly I don't give a fck..

• Like 1

One big, BIG, BIG disappointment from this first week of racing is

L'Occitane with Armel Tripon...

28th after one week. TWENTY HEIGHTH !!!

What the fuck happended? I know that he had some issues and decided to go to shore to fix stuff and then changed his mind, but shit... What kind of mindset must he be in???

• Like 1

Losing that J3 stay the way he did prob doesn’t give the skipper much confidence re the rig in the stronger conditions... I think the foiling imocas now virtually all use the J3 as the heavy air foiling working headsail 

12 minutes ago, Laurent said:

One big, BIG, BIG disappointment from this first week of racing is

L'Occitane with Armel Tripon...

28th after one week. TWENTY HEIGHTH !!!

What the fuck happended? I know that he had some issues and decided to go to shore to fix stuff and then changed his mind, but shit... What kind of mindset must he be in???

He broke a sail hook and had to repair. Now the weather makes it hard for him to catch the trade winds. He knows he has a fast boat and can pass slower boats with patience. The race is still long. Just read the articles about it. He seemed happy to have been able to repair and continue the race. I also would have liked to see him and his boat in the leading group battle it out but his position right know is very explanable given what happened.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, serialsailor said:

He broke a sail hook and had to repair. Now the weather makes it hard for him to catch the trade winds. He knows he has a fast boat and can pass slower boats with patience. The race is still long. Just read the articles about it. He seemed happy to have been able to repair and continue the race. I also would have liked to see him and his boat in the leading group battle it out but his position right know is very explanable given what happened.

He also expects to be 1000nm behind at the doldrums, so he will have some catching up to do.

10 minutes ago, Varan said:

So who hits 500 first?

(500 nm / 24 hours)

*When* is tricky. Not a lot of runway before the doldrums. Thomas Charlie and Alex have a chance in the next day. After that . . .  it may be a week before conditions set up again. 

Then  . . .  Charles on EdeRoth.  :)

6 hours ago, JMore said:

Likewise for the Sunday Telegraph.  Sailing rarely gets a mention in the British press unless it is about Sir Ben...

Very disappointing.

You won't see sailing outside UK in the Brit yellow press let alone something that even smells French. Times and Financial Times exceptions from time to time.  BBC had AT on just before start. Ignored Sam and Pip and two women too boot which is clueless. 

To raise my personal support level for AT I think of HB as a German team and AT is German but with Brit teeth. 

Don't start me on fucking Sir Ben. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Don't start me on fucking Sir Ben.

Kiss and tell, is not an admirable trait, Jack. Just sayin. ;-)

Edited by Sailbydate
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Laurent said:

No he is German.

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

To raise my personal support level for AT I think of HB as a German team and AT is German but with Brit teeth

37 minutes ago, Varan said:

So who hits 500 first?

(500 nm / 24 hours)

Tonight's pace on last sched

87.5Nm over 4Hr period for Thomas Ruyant (x6 525 Nm

83.8Nm over 4Hr period for the Boss (x6 502.8 Nm

Choose your favourite model/color! :DVGpodium.thumb.png.60954185494a834aa33eda542885d72f.png

Will Alex (and/or someone) brake his own solo 24hr record in the race...? most probably...

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks ..glad you well Stief...you are still masterclass in finding race gold nuggets.

I wish. I was just trying to find the "punctuation is important" response to a  "are you going to enter Hoppy?" post I saw recently, and failed.

Thought Sail's zinger was gold. Almost as good as AT being German.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, ET1 said:

to me one of the most impressive guys is louis Burton

He had an Impressive start of the race... indeed (!)

17 minutes ago, ET1 said:

Remember that he had to stop for 5 hours and look where he is now.

He is now 230 Nm back... in around 168 hours

10 minutes ago, bushsailor said:

Thomas Ruyant is really moving now, these conditions are what his boat was designed for. It will be interesting to see if he is quicker than Boss in heavier weather down South.

Yes, it looks like he has a very fast machine in heavy conditions... and it's his second VG..., top dog for sure

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate it is hardly a secret...I even have a picture of Sir Ben hanging on the wall.

PS. Is the country still in mourning after AB's 2 loses in a fortnight. :lol:

EmmCHf0XcAEwDrg.thumb.jpeg.95fc177b1487e6bb7d4c4e3f36a42e57.jpeg

Yes, damn it. Fucker.

20 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Yes, damn it. Fucker.

They will be back ..you still have nearly 2 world class players for each position with a country population of only a large fucking city FFS. 

Pass this around your left leaning rugby friends... it will cheer them up.

124021786_1299261087117849_6362095273814810254_n.jpg

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Laurent said:

There were comments made by Sébastien Simon soon after Paprec was launched that were seen to be talking himself up, and others down. I don't recall exactly what was said, though I'm sure someone will clarify. 

1 hour ago, Rafael said:

FCKNG Brits... FCKNG Germans...FCKNG ChinaVirus... FCKN Spanish... FCKN VG HQ Data Updates...

FCKTrumpLw.jpg.d9132efb0fa5b23ad60dc5e6d502413d.jpgspeedHB.jpg.ea1c45a29c8ac28b1ce0ab48862b9b92.jpg

FUCK! we got some FUCKING speed out at the sea tonight and a race on! :D

I for one am attempting to detoxify from my vicious and debilitating pre-election addiction to Political Anarchy. I am now hiding out in the happy land of socially distanced solo yacht racing where there is esprit de corps among the sea loving nations of the world, good natured bickering between the Brits and the French and no Trump boat parades. So, if you don’t mind, can we please keep that whoref*cking orange nazi out of this?

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

Have I missed anything, or is it still radio silence from Charal?

I'm not sure who technically owns the boat or what the contracts are but I can't see Charal heading back out.  The return on investment just isn't there.  They break their backs fix the boat, head out to sea weeks behind the fleet.  They'll be getting no coverage have no chance of a result but still the same chance of another breakage and more expense.

2 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

I'm not sure who technically owns the boat or what the contracts are but I can't see Charal heading back out.  The return on investment just isn't there.  They break their backs fix the boat, head out to sea weeks behind the fleet.  They'll be getting no coverage have no chance of a result but still the same chance of another breakage and more expense.

The French love a story of persistent spirit of striving to win nothing but spirit of the challenge - if I were Charal I would pivot to 24/7 data; daily cooking with Jeremy featuring Charal products. More coverage as a loser with courage than every other boat except Hugo Boss. 

• Like 9