3 hours ago, JMore said:

AT daily update.  Talks about the sound levels on board.  Unbelievable...

He makes a comment in there that is a bit of a relief... the 130 db we see on the "hub" is the system picking up an alarm going off, not the background noise.  Still bloody loud but thank christ it's not constant.  That would motivate you to sail withing the boat's limits.

• Like 1
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

Looks like the top 19 are all in excellent conditions for the foilers now, and you can see a distinct difference in performance in the latest sked...  Looking at speed of those 19 since the last sked...

• Newer Foilers:
    • Thomson: 17.8
    • Ruyant: 18.9
    • Dalin: 18.7
    • Burton: 19.9
    • Hermann: 19.3
    • Simon: 18.9
  • Older foilers:
    • Escoffier: 14.9
    • Davies: 18.2
    • Bestaven: 17.3
    • Pedote: 19.3
    • Joschke: 18.2
    • Roura: 17.7
    • Le Diraison: 14.0
  • NonFoilers:
    • Le Cam 15.9
    • Dutreux 16.9
    • Seguin: 17.5
    • Attanasio: 17.7
    • Sorel: 18.9
    • Cremer: 16.7

Thomson and Le Cam are past the best winds now, so are a bit slower than their 24 hour averages.  And Le Diraison is just getting into the good wind now, so his average hasn't picked up yet.  But this is the cleanest example I've seen thus far of the scenario where the foilers can sail away from the non-foilers, and it also shows the newer tech seeming to have a bit of an edge on the older.

Side-note...  Heck of a race so far for Dutreux.  I can't remember anyone saying anything about him pre-race (and there hasn't been much commentary about him since the start, either).  He's gotta be happy with his performance so far.

• Like 9
16 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Side-note...  Heck of a race so far for Dutreux.  I can't remember anyone saying anything about him pre-race (and there hasn't been much commentary about him since the start, either).  He's gotta be happy with his performance so far.

+1 for Dutreux... as incredible as Le Cam... Seguin also doing great (esp considering he is a handi-racer)

• Like 1
On 11/12/2020 at 2:30 AM, nasil2nd said:

This will pull the latest position report from the VG website and convert the lat/long to windy urls for each boat. Should work for the whole race, unless they change something within their website or the structure of the excel file.

https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1QxCznt_WGKv0uijxM99fZk5XGVa7Hi7b

Seems like this recently broke... type error.

1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

I'd think Alex must be a little frustrated right now that LinkedOut is reeling him in.

I think he’s setting up for where he wants to be and not worrying about speed. He’s 15 or so degrees different heading than the next two, in more wind and going slower. I think he knows how to make the boat go faster but is choosing to plan ahead for where he wants to transition the doldrums. Or not, who knows. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, inneedofadvice said:

I think he’s setting up for where he wants to be and not worrying about speed. He’s 15 or so degrees different heading than the next two, in more wind and going slower. I think he knows how to make the boat go faster but is choosing to plan ahead for where he wants to transition the doldrums. Or not, who knows. 

I agree.  At first I wondered if Linkedout and Apivia had a little pace on HB, but I think it more about slightly different wind speed and wind angle, in part because they are heading a bit higher than HB.  They must have different goals for where they want to enter the Doldrums based on their arrival time and interpretation of the forecast.  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, RobbieB said:

"When will this technology surpass human capabilities?"

Freely acknowledged by several skippers, that the latest gen. autopilots have already surpassed their own helming ability. Makes you wonder, "where to next?"

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Looks like the top 19 are all in excellent conditions for the foilers now, and you can see a distinct difference in performance in the latest sked...  Looking at speed of those 19 since the last sked...

• Newer Foilers:
  • Older foilers:
  • NonFoilers:
    • Le Cam 15.9
    • Dutreux 16.9

Thomson and Le Cam are past the best winds now, so are a bit slower than their 24 hour averages.  And Le Diraison is just getting into the good wind now, so his average hasn't picked up yet.  But this is the cleanest example I've seen thus far of the scenario where the foilers can sail away from the non-foilers, and it also shows the newer tech seeming to have a bit of an edge on the older.

I would rather classify :

• New boats new foils:
    • Tripon :
    • kojiro :
  • 2016 boats or before & last generation foils
  • 2016 boats or before & non last generation foils
    • Boissieres
  • NonFoilers:
    • Le Cam 15.9
    • Dutreux 16.9
  • Like 2

The Verdier boats look more powerful than the vplp boats. Even Beyou’s foils look more powerful than Thomson’s. He’s said it before but his boat is all about the vmg downwind performance. His foils don’t look powerful, they’re moderately sized. Ruyant’s and Dalin’s are huge and add that to a slightly more powerful hull form and I’m not surprised they’re very slowly reeling him in on this reach 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Realistically this time only 20% of the boats were contenders. Is there a model where 50%+ could contend?

Yep. V065, OD brick shit houses (leaving one parked on the bricks aside). But then, we wouldn't have the innovation and design development we have now.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, minca3 said:

Plus in the southern ocean these solar panels will be less effective

Yes, but they won't be in the southern ocean. In this edition of the race they will be circulating at about the lattitue of northern Spain and it will be summer, with an occasional dip to higher latitudes south of NZ and the Horn. The solar panels will do quite well but let's face it solar panels are crap on a sailing vessel (at least if they are located anywhere robust enough to survive green water). 

• Like 3

My thought is that Charlie, Thomas and Jean are heading more to the east to get better wind angles now and after they pass the ITCZ.

Alex could be thinking further out than that, past 15 degrees south. Things will get really difficult down around 35 degrees south if the current forecasts hold true, little room to move what with the narrow wind bands and the ice limits.

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

He makes a comment in there that is a bit of a relief... the 130 db we see on the "hub" is the system picking up an alarm going off, not the background noise.  Still bloody loud but thank christ it's not constant.  That would motivate you to sail withing the boat's limits.

Hope it works better than his shock collar. Ahhhh, the peace, quiet and serenity of sailing, the lore (lure) of sailing.

4 hours ago, Laurent said:

Thanks for the clarification, it was not clear to me. Did you get to this from your own deductions, or from information posted somewhere by the Charal team?

If I understood well, it is a stay sail sheet block that blew off as the original "event". It tore apart a piece of the deck. What I have not found out for sure is: is this the block closest to the clew of the sail? And then yes, most likely, the "traveler" is the one for the stay sail. But then how does this explain the subsequent issue with the runner? Carbon fiber shards from the deck would have had to travel 20-25ft aft to interfere with the runner and damage it. Right?

Or it is the stay sail sheet block all the way to the back of the boat, before the line turns towards the winch? In that case, the damage is right next to the runner, the next domino to fall, and the bulkhead/traveler issue could be the mainsheet traveler...

I am still not sure; I would be interested if you got definitive answers on this.

Thanks!

My understanding was the staysail sheet turning block/anchor point blew up- I believe this is/was at the main traveler structure. The broken carbon bits from this then tore up the runner

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

• Newer Foilers:
  • Older foilers:
  • NonFoilers:
    • Le Cam 15.9
    • Dutreux 16.9

I'd like to point out that the older foilers are, on average, 0.2 knots slower than the nonfoilers from this list. I don't know if you can say this is an example of foilers "sailing away" from the displacement boats

On the Corum dismasting topic, why is anyone surprised? Juan K has the unique ability to design boats that embody the concept of Entropic decay. They burn so bright that they burn themselves out.

Pindar was universally considered the most powerful IMOCA that would ever be built, back in the 08(?) cycle and all it did was break either itself or its skipper. Same with Cheminees Poujoulait, which tore itself in half off the coast of Brittany. Now Corum?

Sure, there could have been a spontaneous rigging failure but until then I will take free reign to speculate wildly. 

That quote about "we're balancing the load from the foils against what can be supported by the rig" and hypothesizing that his foils could produce 40% more load than the rig could withstand... how did nobody stop that guy? Who trusts that guy to design boats anymore? I get it if you're Rambler 88 and travel the world with a full support staff and you never sail more than 600 miles at a time that's one thing, but a Vendee team? Juan K is the antithesis of reliability. And anyone who trusts him to design a boat that can last a lap of the planet might as well flush their money away because at least then you'd have a clogged toilet to show for it.

And lets not forget the Bounder incident!!!

Rant over

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

My thought is that Charlie, Thomas and Jean are heading more to the east to get better wind angles now and after they pass the ITCZ.

Alex could be thinking further out than that, past 15 degrees south. Things will get really difficult down around 35 degrees south if the current forecasts hold true, little room to move what with the narrow wind bands and the ice limits.

Yes agree looking at the wind overlay I prefer Alex's course but we also have a race leader vs catch up scenario at play . The doldrums don't look like the problem it will be the next big corner when they turn to head east. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, RobbieB said:

These incredibly talented skippers are sailing around the planet glued to a computer screen.  Anyone else think this is a little. well, wrong?

They have to - the weather and the routing is all important. They ain't surfing on Facebook.

10 hours ago, stief said:

What are these wave-like cloud patterns called? Don't seem to fit NatHurrCenter's explanation of "tropical waves"

I think they are tropical waves, but usually I just see them more widely spaced. Could be because I've only watched them when they are half way across not as they peel off Africa.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Yes agree looking at the wind overlay I prefer Alex's course but we also have a race leader vs catch up scenario at play . The doldrums don't look like the problem it will be the next big corner when they turn to head east. 

The bungy cord is shrinking! For now.

Vendee20.JPG

1 minute ago, Zonker said:

They have to - the weather and the routing is all important. They ain't surfing on Facebook.

100% Now is the time to be doing it because they are on Auto Pilot VMG sailing and looking ahead at the doldrums and the corner when they turn East could have a massive impact on gaining or losing out big time. 

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pre internet you could hack into satellite photography download direct in real time using a HF radio.

Well you can still do that. It actually is faster than waiting for it to be sent out - by weatherfax :)

12 minutes ago, Zonker said:
8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pre internet you could hack into satellite photography download direct in real time using a HF radio.

Well you can still do that. It actually is faster than waiting for it to be sent out - by weatherfax :)

You can indeed Zonk. Everytime I tell someone this they don't believe me...."the guy over there says he hacks US satellites using his radio...like before we even got mobile phones...fuck he must be pissed."  :lol:

7 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

Why is the ice limit so different this year?

Because they set the limits based on actual data and this year has been a particularly warm year and large ice has been shedding off and floating north. 

3 minutes ago, Roller Skates said:

Was just about to ask - no gates this year? Solid line versus gates? Or just not showing on tracker?

Vendee Globe tries to not do the gates ever since the Barcelona race maybe 8 years ago - ice gates suck for competition and often forces skippers into bad weather against their preferred margins. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Is it remotely possible that one could pull that satellite data on a low power / cost basis when out of cell service range?

Of you mean direct weather sat feed...no, only a MF/HF with a soft modem and if you mean via Inmarsat or Iridium no, only with their sat phones.

7 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Ice limits:  hard limits, lines, gates are always going to create difficult safety decisions 

So make them soft. Require you to return twice as far north on your next jibe if you cross the line. 

What’s the benefit of adding more policing when a simple exclusion zone like a TSS works and everyone can actually plan for it without being forced to follow a waypoint like the ice gates? Are exclusion zones suddenly controversial because 2020 and I didn’t get the memo?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

The doldrums don't look like the problem it will be the next big corner when they turn to head east. 

Caudrelier agrees. They saw a window for a JVT attempt leaving Wednesday (and thought they might catch the VG leaders at the Cape), but that window shrunk.

But last night, it was in the North Atlantic that the situation deteriorated with the appearance of a tropical depression across the route to the trade winds. This new element is not favorable to a departure because it should considerably lengthen our trajectory towards the southern hemisphere. At the same time, the models also provided for a very long route along the Brazilian and Uruguayan coasts to bypass the high pressures of Saint Helena, which does not go in the direction of a record ”,  detailed Charles Caudrelier.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.gitana-team.com/fr/news_actu.aspx

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Miffy said:

What’s the benefit of adding more policing when a simple exclusion zone like a TSS works and everyone can actually plan for it without being forced to follow a waypoint like the ice gates? Are exclusion zones suddenly controversial because 2020 and I didn’t get the memo?

We’ve seen lots of sailors get squeezed against the line and jibe back into a bad storm. Let them decide the relative risk and have a simple non-punitive trade off to go south but return further north to lengthen the great circle.  Self monitoring and reporting. 

42 minutes ago, Miffy said:

But they already can enter the zone if they must? The SI says the entry point becomes a waypoint for the boat and basically they double back?

That’s the problem, it’s not even safe to go back, let alone a smart trade off. Since the issue is southerly leverage, double the cost by returning north and its a better game. 

5 hours ago, jackolantern said:

On the Corum dismasting topic, why is anyone surprised? Juan K has the unique ability to design boats that embody the concept of Entropic decay. They burn so bright that they burn themselves out.

Pindar was universally considered the most powerful IMOCA that would ever be built, back in the 08(?) cycle and all it did was break either itself or its skipper. Same with Cheminees Poujoulait, which tore itself in half off the coast of Brittany. Now Corum?

Sure, there could have been a spontaneous rigging failure but until then I will take free reign to speculate wildly. 

That quote about "we're balancing the load from the foils against what can be supported by the rig" and hypothesizing that his foils could produce 40% more load than the rig could withstand... how did nobody stop that guy? Who trusts that guy to design boats anymore? I get it if you're Rambler 88 and travel the world with a full support staff and you never sail more than 600 miles at a time that's one thing, but a Vendee team? Juan K is the antithesis of reliability. And anyone who trusts him to design a boat that can last a lap of the planet might as well flush their money away because at least then you'd have a clogged toilet to show for it.

Rant over

JuanKOoo.jpg.4ce18de537eea80744802a6f6840da43.jpgJuanKO.thumb.jpg.bab2427209c1acb4a4ef0f6d0c0b9602.jpg

:lol::lol: Juan KOuYou Mdjian... is a sad teddy..., that rant was merciless

10 hours ago, yl75 said:

In fact now I'm not quite sure, it seemed to be clear in one news piece, but not so much in the latest ones.

If it is for the main, sheet, interesting that they planned for a "back up" mechanism during their summer refit :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/vendee-globe/vendee-globe-jeremie-beyou-vous-allez-decouvrir-les-nouveaux-foils-de-charal-faace138-95cb-11ea-abb5-3b5090acc3e0

In this video there's a glimpse of the damage on the starboard side of the traveller 

Screenshot_20201117-081956_Chrome.thumb.png.bb7b50a357ad0f56cd831aa27a815b69.png

• Like 2
4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Penguin you couldn't resist just for one RtW could you. :D

Nope ... I was just getting some of you educated on previous editions too ....  :D

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Rant over

Technically all the new boats and some of the older boats with new foils can produce enough power to overload the rigs. The Juan K boats have been achieving 45 t/m of righting moment (the rigs are rated for 30) unsure on the Verdier boats but L’Occitane has been hitting up to 50...

I fully get your argument on Juan K but in this instance everyone’s treading the same path

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Rant over

Completely disagree. These are racing boats that will always have the potential to set more sail than they can structurally accept with excess wind/conditions. Otherwise what are you saying, that their should never by a situation in which the rig/boat can be overloaded? Those would be very small sails and foils......but I conclude that your design would be very seaworthy i.e. suitable for taking grandchildren out with you,.....and no racing sailors would bother you.

As for JuanK designing boats that are too powerful, that's nonsense.  Designer get brief from team as to where they want to bias their performance preferences (you never get something for nothing) and the designer delivers. Like any racing machine, to achieve extremes of performance, you have to push it, and the sailor needs to exercise constant  skill/judgement, do you think it was any different 100 years ago in a J Class?............Personally I have respect to all parties, designers and sailors.

The Defense rests.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Miffy said:

Because they set the limits based on actual data and this year has been a particularly warm year and large ice has been shedding off and floating north

Currently, the AEZ as described in V1 is 225 nm to the south of the 2016-17 AEZ which I dug up out of my archive. Gough Island was the most northern point then in the Southern Atlantic.

In the screenshot you can see the old AEZ with red crosses, and the current one with circles.

AEZ 2016-17 vs 2020.png

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

Designer get brief from team as to where they want to bias their performance preferences (you never get something for nothing) and the designer delivers.

Juan I want you to help me sow the seabed with lead. 

No worries George, I'm on it. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Juan I want you to help me sow the seabed with lead. 

No worries George, I'm on it. 

George: We need to have less carbon, lead and plastic in the oceans, there's already a pollution problem

Juan: Ok boss, more shit into the ocean it is

• Like 1

AEZ

The https://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index provides a nice view of the Daily Sea Ice Extent. I guess the dark blue part part of it in the top part of the picture, which is due south of Gough Island (roughly indicated by the red circle), is bothering, as the ice concentration is very low. Which means the ice melts and/or floats away if I interpret this right.1897896690_DailySeaIceExtent17-11-20.thumb.png.5cebdc6bbfa12c0a4cd8add7ca0099a1.png 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chris UK said:

Completely disagree. These are racing boats that will always have the potential to set more sail than they can structurally accept with excess wind/conditions. Otherwise what are you saying, that their should never by a situation in which the rig/boat can be overloaded? Those would be very small sails and foils......but I conclude that your design would be very seaworthy i.e. suitable for taking grandchildren out with you,.....and no racing sailors would bother you.

As for JuanK designing boats that are too powerful, that's nonsense.  Designer get brief from team as to where they want to bias their performance preferences (you never get something for nothing) and the designer delivers. Like any racing machine, to achieve extremes of performance, you have to push it, and the sailor needs to exercise constant  skill/judgement, do you think it was any different 100 years ago in a J Class?............Personally I have respect to all parties, designers and sailors.

The Defense rests.

Usually when you overload the boat it falls over. The suggestion here is that other shit blows up before the boat falls over, hence the design issue.

5 minutes ago, European Bloke said:

Usually when you overload the boat it falls over. The suggestion here is that other shit blows up before the boat falls over, hence the design issue.

Just what they need for a SH race hey?   How could you sleep?

Weather guesstimate update for the ITCZ/pot au noir

Input: GFS 10 days and after that the climate plugin, WW3 Global for waves/swell (black arrows). 

I have set the HB polars to 102% of standard IMOCA 60's with foiler.

Thomson still doing 21 kts in the last 30 minutes before the 0800 schedule, the ITCZ seems to have gone out to lunch. HB is just steaming along. ECMWF concurs to GFS on some lighter wind patches, but not being stalled for hours and hours. The AEZ is currently no problem either at the current location. 

1840929725_Weatherrouting17-11-20.thumb.png.f836e46865f9b5d38dbbb62f18b5d661.png497554824_Zoomedweatherrouting17-11-20.thumb.png.6ce8bf85512696f1a5366e7dcae7cff9.png

Visible_clouds_ITCZ_detail_17-11-20_0800_v2.png

CAPE and ITCZ detail 17-11-20 0800.png

ITCZ_detail_17-11-20_0800.png

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, minca3 said:

Anyone has info why PRB is loosing ground to JLC?

Could just be lighter air? All the boats in that group (Sam, Boris, Louis Burton, Benjamin) were 2-3 kts slower in the last 4 hours than their average over the last 24hrs.

21 hours ago, Snowden said:

paying Mike Golding to be on the broadcast ;) (although I think he is actually in Warsash)

That's hardly keeping the wheels of the sailing industry turning is it. :lol:

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Herman said:

AEZ

The https://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index provides a nice view of the Daily Sea Ice Extent. I guess the dark blue part part of it in the top part of the picture, which is due south of Gough Island (roughly indicated by the red circle), is bothering, as the ice concentration is very low. Which means the ice melts and/or floats away if I interpret this right.1897896690_DailySeaIceExtent17-11-20.thumb.png.5cebdc6bbfa12c0a4cd8add7ca0099a1.png 

Are the satellite photos they used to make the AEZ available anywhere Herman? Theres at least one jumbo berg up by South Georgia (it made the news for threatening the wildlife)

Judging by the pace of Apivia and LinkedOut I think Alex will have his 'mirrors' full by the time they get to Cape of Good Hope.

Difficult to judge if he's been pushing as hard as the two young guns, but they've caught up quite a bit in the last two days in similar wind conditions.

A smooth passage through Doldrumns would help!

Have there been any photos from Corum posted?

2 hours ago, b3nharris said:

Could just be lighter air? All the boats in that group (Sam, Boris, Louis Burton, Benjamin) were 2-3 kts slower in the last 4 hours than their average over the last 24hrs.

But also the boats behind him are catching up, Burea Vallee cut PRBs lead in half in 24h

1 hour ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

Judging by the pace of Apivia and LinkedOut I think Alex will have his 'mirrors' full by the time they get to Cape of Good Hope.

Difficult to judge if he's been pushing as hard as the two young guns, but they've caught up quite a bit in the last two days in similar wind conditions.

A smooth passage through Doldrumns would help!

Have there been any photos from Corum posted?

They were just running in more wind in the approach to the doldrums. I am having the same problem in the virtual race with boats behind closing in.

5 hours ago, JL92S said:

Technically all the new boats and some of the older boats with new foils can produce enough power to overload the rigs. The Juan K boats have been achieving 45 t/m of righting moment (the rigs are rated for 30) unsure on the Verdier boats but L’Occitane has been hitting up to 50...

I fully get your argument on Juan K but in this instance everyone’s treading the same path

If you listen to the interview with JuanK on the Robertson podcast (starts at about 46min in here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/series-2-ep13-vendee-globe-part-1/id1471762040?i=1000497243142) he states that they originally designed to around 35 t/m on the foils, then Charal popped out around 45 t/m so they had to change course and follow suit.

Also, this is different than JK's previous failures....if a hull failed, foil broke or keel fell off I would start pointing fingers at his design office, but the OD rig came down, and we still don't know why. Far too early to start point fingers and either way it sucks for the entire Corum team.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, minca3 said:

Will Harris from the Seaexplorer team explains it quite nicely here:

Thanks. Sure miss 'Race Experts' from the last VOR. Will and Colman and the others. The VG's EN Live, tries.

Have to check those 'bands', though. Pretty sure they indicate sat scans.

• Like 1