• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

NOAA/NASA & ESA uses optical & radar to spot icebergs before they break off - then continuously monitor their drift. I'd have to get on the other laptop to pull up the usual stuff but it isn't behind a paywall like ECMWF access. 

If you can dig that up, always interesting B)

19 minutes ago, Miffy said:

How do the Dutch feel about the German coal electric industry and the French nuclear power solution?

Bit of a thread drift. But we shut down our own coal industry in the 60s/70s. We still have a nuclear power plant or so, but not fan of the stuff due to the 1.000 year you have to store the waste. I don't see a majority of the Dutch people applauding a new nuclear power plant. Thanks to Shell we are not frontrunners in the energy transition, to put it with understatement. Lot's of people just deny that there is a climate change, or are just indifferent, or suggest we can't afford to change, including some right wing popular white males in our Parliament.  

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Herman said:

Bit of a thread drift. But we shut down our own coal industry in the 60s/70s. We still have a nuclear power plant or so, but not fan of the stuff due to the 1.000 year you have to store the waste. I don't see a majority of the Dutch people applauding a new nuclear power plant. Thanks to Shell we are not frontrunners in the energy transition, to put it with understatement. Lot's of people just deny that there is a climate change, or are just indifferent, or suggest we can't afford to change, including some right wing popular white males in our Parliament.  

Yeah ... you have (or had let's say) a lot of gas, for a start

vvk1.jpg

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, amwindberlin said:

https://www.borisherrmannracing.com/vendee-globe-2020-blog/day-9-21-45pm-boriss-thoughts/

Interesting... about scow bow and smaller sails, rig loads

Yes. Nice find. A bit surprised that he hadn't worked out the crossovers, but sounds like others are still refining theirs too. 

Code zero versus jib top remains an unsolved miracle. How can the boat be faster with much smaller sail ? 138 to 178 qm. And it’s not windy. 15 knots in average. 
Makes me think a lot about hull shapes. The scow bow that Armel Tripon has could permit to not bloody stop in every second wave and carry the wind machine effect from the foils longer. Where it creates its own apparent wind.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Yeah ... you have (or had let's say) a lot of gas, for a start

I stand corrected, we had gas for decades. Exported it for low prices across Europe. But now in the north we have earthquakes due to the gasfields shrinking. We had a small uprising here by the locals who had a lot of damages to their real estate. But were not properly paid for that by the semi-government office who should handle that. So the gas handle has been more or less closed by the cabinet due to public pressure. So that fairy tale ended badly, see the blue line dropping in the graph. Enter the Russian gas (yellow line in graph) - and you don't want to be dependent on Putin for that imho. * mumbles MH17 *

45 minutes ago, amwindberlin said:

https://www.borisherrmannracing.com/vendee-globe-2020-blog/day-9-21-45pm-boriss-thoughts/

Interesting... about scow bow and smaller sails, rig loads

Code zero versus jib top remains an unsolved miracle. How can the boat be faster with much smaller sail ? 138 to 178 qm. And it’s not windy. 15 knots in average.
Makes me think a lot about hull shapes. The scow bow that Armel Tripon has could permit to not bloody stop in every second wave and carry the wind machine effect from the foils longer. Where it creates its own apparent wind. This mechanism is interrupted in our case. All the time. You feel the potential for 26 knots and it happens every once a while but still we sit on an average of 17-19. Very intrigued by the future of imoca design. I think there are still big steps to be made.

Very interesting indeed... concerned (as everyone) about his rig in this crazy back and forth speed decelerations in this semi flying nose dive monohull beasts... (apart from Tripon's scow bow, maybe the T rudders could be the big step forward to find a solution to this technical multimillion crazy rodeo lottery...)

17 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

The Dutch don't feel good about anything German.

Do we? We are dependent for our wealth as Germany is our main exporting country. We drive German cars. We like AT. My neighbors have a second house there which we visit too. That second world war ressentiment which ran deep is now gone, finally.

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Do we? We are dependent for our wealth as Germany is our main exporting country. We drive German cars. We like AT. My neighbors have a second house there which we visit too. That second world war ressentiment which ran deep is now gone, finally.

Had the pleasure of visiting your country last summer for some sailing. Had a great stay. Dutch is the strangest language to me as a german as it fluctuates from me being able to understand everything to me understanding nothing. Snelheid is my new favourite word. :lol:

I hope to visit again soon. To many more years of friendship between our nations.

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, Herman said:

You are right, it runs deep, and I would say it is still present to some degree in the older generations. I am Dutch myself, and I definitely sense it in my older family members, commenting on how "Those Germans come to our town and act as if they own the place." I am not endorsing it in any way, but ignoring it would be a mistake as well.

20 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

You are right, it runs deep, and I would say it is still present to some degree in the older generations. I am Dutch myself, and I definitely sense it in my older family members, commenting on how "Those Germans come to our town and act as if they own the place." I am not endorsing it in any way, but ignoring it would be a mistake as well.

Sounds like my older family members in Florida. People are people and that’s what they do. I have only been to Amsterdam once but visited many cities in Germany. I loved all these places. And Vienna Prague Paris Barcelona Athens London Dublin. You are very fortunate. My whole family moved to Florida (they’re insane) and when I have to go there I invariably run into European tourists and think “why the fuck are you folks vacationing in Florida? Banishment? Lose a bet? Hell wasn't open??”

Thomas hit the slow down. AT pulling away a bit. Le Cam still chugging along at 14kts.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnotherSailor said:

The Dutch don't feel good about anything German.

What. Not even their automobiles? Isn't VW the biggest selling auto brand in the Netherlands?

1 hour ago, mathystuff said:

Had the pleasure of visiting your country last summer for some sailing. Had a great stay. Dutch is the strangest language to me as a german as it fluctuates from me being able to understand everything to me understanding nothing. Snelheid is my new favourite word. :lol:

I hope to visit again soon. To many more years of friendship between our nations.

Amsterdam is a fine city (after you get used to the cyclists, who definitely like to hunt down wayward tourists!). Stayed in Noord (next to The Eye) for a few weeks and used the free ferry service across the IJ, to the city. 

Serious river and canal tonnage. Complete with cars  stowed aboard:

Edited by Sailbydate
Amsterdam river barges
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The jury is out on the bat cave.

I think in the end probably comes down to whether he maintains situational awareness or not. If he loses that by not regularly sticking his melon outside, he will get caught out by something that is ordinarily foreseen.

He has a million cameras for that.! I think in this part of the race you'd want to be outside anyway. Hot and humid. Warm water too. However as he get's further South I think the batcave might be a nice place to be. But yes you'd want to be doing a visual on your sails and mast etc when it matters. 

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

He has a million cameras for that.! I think in this part of the race you'd want to be outside anyway. Hot and humid. Warm water too. However as he get's further South I think the batcave might be a nice place to be. But yes you'd want to be doing a visual on your sails and mast etc when it matters. 

I hope you guys understand that he has a much better view of his sails in this boat than he did in the last one.  Trimming sails at the mast is an advantage and he has a lot of windows looking directly up at sails.

• Like 4

I'm tipping Charal will be passing some boats if the weather co-operates? Armel didn't get it right going inshore he has stuffed that up big time. Jean Le Cam isn't going away anytime soon and I wonder if any of the other foilers will catch him (Other than Linked Out and Apivia) 

4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I'm tipping Charal will be passing some boats if the weather co-operates? Armel didn't get it right going inshore he has stuffed that up big time. Jean Le Cam isn't going away anytime soon and I wonder if any of the other foilers will catch him (Other than Linked Out and Apivia) 

Agreed.  Disappointed in Armel.  Mrs Hitch helped fund that program.

I reckon 0400 update has both Linked and Apivia by Cam.

I’d give Armel a break - losing the J3 stay and making a repair probably with a lashing is going to change your confidence in the boat - plus he’s always been humble and realistic about his program and boat. Black Pepper is new to building imocas  

VPLP or Verdier designed and built by CDK Tech or Periso have made how many deck/hulls and foils now? 

I think whatever challenges he has had - his boat is going to affect imoca class development more than any non-VPLP/Verdier project have in a long time. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, WindySurfer said:

That's larger than the land area of Rhode Island and Delaware combined!

You also have to remember that its not just a flat bit of ice either, its allegedly over 500 meters deep and is shedding smaller icebergs off the sides constantly too. Id want to stay well, well away from that thing.

[aside] Are there publicly available transcripts of sailing podcasts?

e.g., Shirley Robertson's Sailing Podcast Series 2 - Ep13 - Vendee Globe Part 1 and part 2

Google hasn't helped so far.

8 minutes ago, stief said:

[aside] Are there publicly available transcripts of sailing podcasts?

e.g., Shirley Robertson's Sailing Podcast Series 2 - Ep13 - Vendee Globe Part 1 and part 2

Google hasn't helped so far.

Try here. https://podcasts.google.com/  Alternatively- my iPhone came with an app in productivity called podcasts - use the search function to find them easily.  Bar Karate with Capey is also worth listening to.

56 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I’d give Armel a break - losing the J3 stay and making a repair probably with a lashing is going to change your confidence in the boat - plus he’s always been humble and realistic about his program and boat. Black Pepper is new to building imocas  

VPLP or Verdier designed and built by CDK Tech or Periso have made how many deck/hulls and foils now? 

I think whatever challenges he has had - his boat is going to affect imoca class development more than any non-VPLP/Verdier project have in a long time. 

Whose not giving him a break Miffy? Just saying he stuffed up his routing. Other than that all encouraging from my end for all of these guys and gals gusty enough to do this race..! 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Try here. https://podcasts.google.com/  Alternatively- my iPhone came with an app in productivity called podcasts - use the search function to find them easily.  Bar Karate with Capey is also worth listening to.

Thanks, and +1 re the Bar Karate. I've got the podcasts, but am looking for text transcripts. (prefer reading to listening).

I know drama sells a good story but if we took Armel’s 2016 routing, advance the forecast back and forth - it really isn’t something that novel and unusual going on here. The south Atlantic gyre and southern ocean and Agulhas won’t suddenly disappear and if anything, the boats’ performance differential between their best angles and worst angles are larger and more extreme than ever. 

Like clockwork, Brazil sends a high pressure across the south Atlantic - it slowly works its way across while buttressing the southern ocean low pressure systems and as one stacks up upon another, you have a sometimes very narrow highway to work south east. It’s been true since before satellites, before Admiral Perry systematically gathered maritime ship logs to collect and compile pilot charts.

223B4FF4-E1DE-4DBE-A53B-8E795307A32B.jpeg

10 minutes ago, huey 2 said:

Thomas got another 20nm out of Alex

and Armel on the move

To put those 20 nm in perspective: Alex moved away from the "theoretical route" (and the waypoint they use to measure who is in first place), Thomas closer to it. Average speed over the last 4 hrs was a few knots higher for HB...

I don't have access to routing software (thank god!) but it seems from the limited information I have that staying just to the south of the dotted red line, close to the exclusion zone might be the way to go, at least for the first two boats. 

25 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

To put those 20 nm in perspective: Alex moved away from the "theoretical route" (and the waypoint they use to measure who is in first place), Thomas closer to it. Average speed over the last 4 hrs was a few knots higher for HB...

I don't have access to routing software (thank god!) but it seems from the limited information I have that staying just to the south of the dotted red line, close to the exclusion zone might be the way to go, at least for the first two boats. 

according to the race tracker Thomas also had quite a remarkable 4 hour run.  He had an average speed of 11.6 kts but an average VMG of 12.5 kts. How do you compete with someone going faster than themselves?

tracker.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Miffy said:

I know drama sells a good story but if we took Armel’s 2016 routing, advance the forecast back and forth - it really isn’t something that novel and unusual going on here. The south Atlantic gyre and southern ocean and Agulhas won’t suddenly disappear and if anything, the boats’ performance differential between their best angles and worst angles are larger and more extreme than ever. 

Like clockwork, Brazil sends a high pressure across the south Atlantic - it slowly works its way across while buttressing the southern ocean low pressure systems and as one stacks up upon another, you have a sometimes very narrow highway to work south east. It’s been true since before satellites, before Admiral Perry systematically gathered maritime ship logs to collect and compile pilot charts.

223B4FF4-E1DE-4DBE-A53B-8E795307A32B.jpeg

Totally agree, but AT and the rest of the crowd have approx 2000+nm to go before they can get on that thin corridor below the HP zone coming off of Brazil. There is an HP zone there now and setup like in the textbooks. The Windy forecasts keep changing at what point the new high will be setup properly.  I'm not seeing a golden ticket for him yet, but maybe... since this was all measured with thumb widths on a computer screen and a wet finger to guage the wind.

Hopefully there aren't any broken foil tips floating around down there.

25 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

The good news is Alex is slowly coming back to life, so he'll probably do better in the next 4 hours...

alex.jpg

I hope AT's kids and family aren't watching those sensors.  He's stopped breathing enough times during this race to drive them mad with worry.  

It’s funny how often the chasing boats pick a course to cut the corner. So, as leader, you cover that side of the course and everyone winds up higher than optimal. And then you think, hey the smart money would be to stay right and sail your own race. Then you go see where Sam is. Yup. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

It’s funny how often the chasing boats pick a course to cut the corner. So, as leader, you cover that side of the course and everyone winds up higher than optimal. And then you think, hey the smart money would be to stay right and sail your own race. Then you go see where Sam is. Yup. 

Yup. Guess that accounts for Sam's race results so far this year even if her boat isn't the newest.

23 minutes ago, Teaky said:

Thomas is a pretty hardcore motherfucker:  

https://www.imoca.org/en/news/news/thomas-ruyant-ready-to-fight

I wonder what this performance means for the Volvo.

I also like the idea of the sponsor (Advens, the one that pays the bills) giving up their media exposure to Linkedout that seems to be a sort of networking tool for jobseekers that need help to find a job.

How much effort would it take for the VG people to extend the tracker updates to eight per day, instead of the six, at say three hour intervals? The current times are OK for the Europeans, but there are others around the world trying to follow the race, and having effectively four (as we have two falling at 0100 and 0400) here on the east coast of Australia is a pain.

15 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

How much effort would it take for the VG people to extend the tracker updates to eight per day, instead of the six, at say three hour intervals? The current times are OK for the Europeans, but there are others around the world trying to follow the race, and having effectively four (as we have two falling at 0100 and 0400) here on the east coast of Australia is a pain.

This has been rehashed to death above already, it's not a technical limitation the race office get updates every half an hour from yellow brick, geovoile is perfectly capable of doing updates as frequently as you like, but the sailing instructions limit updates to the scheduled times. As this tracker is available to all the skippers it too is limited to the scheduled times.

More frequently updates would probably required an amendment to the sailing instructions and I doubt theres any political will to do so amongst the RO.

We all would like more frequent updates.

• Like 1

Alex will have to be on the top of his game to hold off Apivia and LinkedOut at the rate they have been gaining on him. In the last three days Apivia has gained 68.4nm and LinkedOut 45.8nm. Currently Apivia is 102.8nm behind, and LinkedOut is 69.3nm behind.

Looks like Alex is through the doldrums. Soon we'll know how much it was compression, and how much was faster sailing by the competition.

More reports is not really more work for the VG other than adjusting their media output to it. (Most media drops around the tracker updates.) It seems the skippers want some time to make big routing bets without the competition getting reports any time soon.
I have the feeling that the reason why we don't get more data than the skippers is the fear of cheating, or perhaps the difficulty to make a penalty stick. What will the international jury decide? Even if they hand out a DSQ or ban, what if the penalty gets thrown out in court? And what does that mean for the next edition? - Much easier to keep the data restricted to race hq until it gets send out to everyone.

I know it is old news, so sorry if it annoys some people, but effectively as far as online spectators go the Europeans get six updates in their 'daylight' hours, whilst some of us get four in their 'daylight' hours. and that includes a seven hour gap where I am.

Perhaps next time around the sailing instructions could be changed. I know the reasons behind the way it is, as it gives the sailors a seven hour gap to change course without being spied on, and it also allows a sleep gap of not having to constantly be watching the placing maps. Just my two cents worth, I'll shut up about it for now.

21 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Alex will have to be on the top of his game to hold off Apivia and LinkedOut at the rate they have been gaining on him. In the last three days Apivia has gained 68.4nm and LinkedOut 45.8nm. Currently Apivia is 102.8nm behind, and LinkedOut is 69.3nm behind.

Does this only that those chasing boats have narrower sweet spots, so are faster than HB in some conditions, but that HB is faster overall.... or is HB in front due to better routing... or a bit of both?

7 hours ago, terrafirma said:
14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The jury is out on the bat cave.

I think in the end probably comes down to whether he maintains situational awareness or not. If he loses that by not regularly sticking his melon outside, he will get caught out by something that is ordinarily foreseen.

He has a million cameras for that.! I think in this part of the race you'd want to be outside anyway. Hot and humid. Warm water too. However as he get's further South I think the batcave might be a nice place to be. But yes you'd want to be doing a visual on your sails and mast etc when it matters

Remember Terra this is NOT a 'fixed' bat-cave negative, but a skipper one and ONLY one if Alex makes it so.

Cameras might be fine for trimming, but don't pick up things that are about to go to shit.

Things like a small sail tear, a slipping clutch (he has already had one of those?), chafe, things that change like cloud and sea colour/shape/height state.

Stuff that is not seen, but 'felt' and even 'smelt'. 

If you did a skipper survey of all SH race ending incidents, I would be certain there is a lot in the; "if only I had fucking done 'X" column.

Alex has always seemed to be a restless one aboard, so I can't see him falling into the 'lazy cunt trap' and forgetting about 'prevention'

However I'm worried. After all he does have a history of not seeing fucking islands.

However him being really German, German team and all, I really hope he hasn't fucking watched too many of these German Govt 'prevention' videos and 'kicks back'. :lol:

45 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

I am staying in France this winter and the times are just about OK for me except for the 5 am one which is before I want to wake up!

But yes when organising an international RTW race you would think that even French organisers might concede that the world is round and rotates and what is convenient for the French people in France is mighty inconvenient for the great majority of potential followers who don't happen to reside in France. It would help also if the organisers could put out a decent tracker which works reasonably well on all common devices. For an international race through all time zones it is not rocket science also to work out that an equal time between updates is needed whatever the policy about how many per day. And I just don't buy the bit about not being spied on.

From previous editions we all know its possible to make a decent tracker if people with the right skill are not prevented from getting access to the required data. I can just about get the official pc version to work, but this is what I see on my Samsung tablet. You couldn't make it more user unfriendly if you tried! The ones put out by Boss and Apivia work slightly differently on this device but still very badly.

image.png

• Like 1

Tip of the fleet in Marinetraffic (sat ais):

Screen-Shot-2020-11-18-at-10-51-57.png

And tracker:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-18-at-10-52-18.png

You can pretty much tell which one is which.

edit. Cropping was not perfect, top part is missing from marinetraffic, but you get the idea.

edit2. age of the ais updates seems to be between few mins to 20 mins or so maximum. Mostly under 30 mins for sure. Boss 15 mins and LinkedOut 3 mins in pic above.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Herman said:

Yep, looks like it. Mind you that's an iceberg that can be seen by a geostationary satellite AFAIK. That's 36.000 KM above sea level, and still it is clearly visible if you know where to look.

I remember the big news headline in 2017 when this massive A-68 calved. Back then most commentators expected that this monster would break up soon. Apparently it didn't ...

Just now, Teaky said:

VG organisers should have capitalised on this once in a lifetime opportuniuty to globalise the event.

Absolutely, and my take is that the organizers remain into a mode where it is "a local authority organizing a race with some international reach" where it should be " an international race with local authorities involvement".

Smells like a huge politicaly influenced event (beause funding comes from Vendee local thing) that lacks a proper developement strategy to me.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

And Vienna Prague Paris Barcelona Athens London Dublin. You are very fortunate. My whole family moved to Florida (they’re insane) and when I have to go there I invariably run into European tourists and think “why the fuck are you folks vacationing in Florida? Banishment? Lose a bet? Hell wasn't open??”

Warmer/tropical climate. And in my case, watch SpaceX first attempt of launching an already flown booster for the 2nd time

4 minutes ago, ague said:

Absolutely, and my take is that the organizers remain into a mode where it is "a local authority organizing a race with some international reach" where it should be " an international race with local authorities involvement".

Smells like a huge politicaly influenced event (beause funding comes from Vendee local thing) that lacks a proper developement strategy to me.

Doubt they even thought about it. Could just be typical French endearing national characteristics, laisse faire is it? Shrug the shoulders and move on without other reaction.

things of note: he tries not to enter the cockpit with his full wet weather gear to keep it as dry as possible. 2 type of bed. The lite™ mattress for these types of conditions and a bigger XXL bean bag for the big stuff and Charlie catching nets in front of the bed situation in case of heavy slamming.

I really like his cockpit. Looks much more inviting and spacious than the batcave. 

• Like 2

They don't show as much love for international audiences as a private event organizer does. Remember Mike Plant and the mighty Coyote?

It belongs to the region of Vendée, and has been a local event for so long even before being national, carried by local companies (PRB, Saga, etc...), catering mostly for Figaro (hi Sam Davies!) and Mini sailors. This is the race's DNA right there, but maybe an AT victory could durablychange that?

Even the website shows it's headed by civil servants rather than event organizers, compare the media with what the ex-VOR was doing, it's pretty staggering.

1 minute ago, Sebyseb said:

They don't show as much love for international audiences as a private event organizer does. Remember Mike Plant and the mighty Coyote?

It belongs to the region of Vendée, and has been a local event for so long even before being national, carried by local companies (PRB, Saga, etc...), catering mostly for Figaro (hi Sam Davies!) and Mini sailors. This is the race's DNA right there, but maybe an AT victory could durablychange that?

Even the website shows it's headed by civil servants rather than event organizers, compare the media with what the ex-VOR was doing, it's pretty staggering.

Great point. The VOR was and continues to be a fantastic success. Meanwhile the Vendee has to make to with a full fleet of 33 boats, and a mere half a dozen brand new foilers which are probably the most advanced ocean racing monohulls to be launched.

• Like 6

Vesselfinder even shows lat/lon lines for scale.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-18-at-11-33-54.png

And lets you measure the distance between the boats (HB & LO in this case, latest update):

Screen-Shot-2020-11-18-at-11-38-45.png

Looking at the sat ais feed, it seems they come from the same source, as the age of last update agrees on Marinetraffic and Vesselfinder. Understandable, I guess, they don't operate their own satellites after all.

99 eur / month unlocks the satellite AIS on Vesselfinder, then you can see all the details like speed and course of all the boats 24/7. But even without unlock you can see quite a lot.

Is Apivia trying to create some lateral separation from or leverage against HB and LinkedOut?  Charlie seems to be headed east, while AT and TR seem to be heading west.  Could be interesting to see on the next tracker update whether these boats maintain their course. 

18 minutes ago, b3nharris said:

Great point. The VOR was and continues to be a fantastic success. Meanwhile the Vendee has to make to with a full fleet of 33 boats, and a mere half a dozen brand new foilers which are probably the most advanced ocean racing monohulls to be launched.

Yep and the French have shown with the Tour de France (the one with drugs and bikes involved) that there is knowledge on how to do this properly. I am not a fan of the TdF event but the media coverage is impressive.

Just the wrong people dealing with the Vendee now? They need to change this.

16 minutes ago, ague said:

FWIW - Apivia made an impressive difference during the TJV where Charal completely f-up their doldrums crossing tactics. Almost embarassing for Charal at that time.

Indeed, although in fairness to Charal, Apivia arguably had the advantage of going into the doldrums after Charal, because Charlie could see that JB entered a hole and could go around Charal (as could many other boats). I wonder if Charlie is trying to pull off a similar feat here. 

A bit of a tip on the 'Alex is in the shit he's lost loads of distance it's all going to pot' theme, rather than look at the distance gaps, which are based on the VMG routeing, but look at the actual distance between the two leading boats (using the tool on the tracker) AT is about 100 miles ahead, and that's only moved about 10 miles over the last three days, and has been steady over the last 24 hours.

• Like 5
16 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:
On 11/16/2020 at 2:23 PM, jack_sparrow said:
On 11/16/2020 at 1:08 PM, terrafirma said:

We need Jack's analysis on this one as we close in to see what the weather is doing. 

Mate that won't be happening. I've already met my annual quota for 'pulling stuff out of my arse' ......

......a spot of shopping for Brazilian handicrafts somewhere in Pernambuco state to take home to the missus, or for the girls to get a Brazilian, that could prove problematic. 

The German boat the first to adopt the "let's go shopping in Recife" TWA.

IMG_20201118_040747.jpg

Terra I'm still preaching shopping in Pernambuco state going into day 3.:D 

The leaders particularly AT being forced into the longer miles of this abnormal Brazilian 'shopping aisle' is still shaping up as a "compression zone" that might give those at the back of the Top 10 a nice leg up. 

IMG_20201118_204228.jpg

IMG_20201118_202854.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The leaders particularly AT being forced into the longer miles of this abnormal Brazilian 'shopping aisle' is still shaping up as a "compression zone" that might give those at the back of the Top 10 a nice leg up. 

IMG_20201118_204228.jpg

IMG_20201118_202854.jpg

Hard to tell from the current tracker, but it seems like the leading yellow boat might try to hit that shorter pink line.  Maybe we will get a better sense when the tracker updates in about 10 minutes.  

1 minute ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Hard to tell from the current tracker, but it seems like the leading yellow boat might try to hit that shorter pink line.  Maybe we will get a better sense when the tracker updates in about 10 minutes.  

Glad we dont seem to be having the same problems in virtual!

10 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

What. Not even their automobiles? Isn't VW the biggest selling auto brand in the Netherlands?

That and the Autobahn which gets them and their campers south toll free ;)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:

And the Saint Peter and Saint Paul Archipelago, on the marker,  seems to be rather close to the fleet position

They seem to clear it by 35+ miles, luckily.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-18-at-13-17-26.png

This is btw where some parts of AF447 washed ashore and very close to where accident happened and the hull is resting.

With all the posts about the front runners, I do not see much chat about Burton? After his Naughty Nap He has been one of the most consistent... He was around 17th and will probably pick up PRB in the coming days. Has been slowly decreasing the gap between him and HB.