That body of water, the SouthAtlantic, is jinxed for him... 20 years of unbelievable racing over board (ROB)... again... gutted...

In this race you must expect the unexpexted... The 2 race favourites, the SteelBull and DarkVader, out ... putain, au revoir...

• Like 2
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I was waiting for this news. Just never sure what day it would come?

Mate has the missus got the key to the medicine cabinet?

OR

33 minutes ago, climenuts said:

Time to put all of the fan boys on suicide watch

6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

This boat has had issues from day one.

....OR the first stage of denial...."I always knew he would fail". 

• Like 3

Eh come on a lot of French fans have been won over by Alex’s grace over the years - no need for that. I know on the inter webs there’s this whole adolescent thing where ppl derive value from hating on the popular, AT has been one of the most gracious losers in Imoca for a long time. If he exits imoca you immediately have a huge vacuum outside of France of folks trying to win. 

• Like 9
25 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Eh come on a lot of French fans have been won over by Alex’s grace over the years - no need for that. I know on the inter webs there’s this whole adolescent thing where ppl derive value from hating on the popular, AT has been one of the most gracious losers in Imoca for a long time. If he exits imoca you immediately have a huge vacuum outside of France of folks trying to win. 

He has proof some melon balls and he has earned it (the non easy way)... I was just trying to take the unfortunate and sad context with a bit of humor... yaknow... (I personally hate soccer and the hooligan adolescent fan bullshit thing)

AT has boosted the IMOCA circuit and the VG race outside France (and inside too) for many years... even if loosing it with grace so many times... the race loses heat and interest w/out him and Beyou...now back to hear and learn some french with the fleet for 2 months... really hope he is safe and sound and if it's a mayor fuckUp in his awesome boat can return back to dry land soon... (at least he's still moving at some pace...) over

1 hour ago, Rafael said:

That body of water, the SouthAtlantic, is jinxed for him... 20 years of unbelievable racing over board (ROB)... again... gutted...

"That body of water, the South Atlantic , is jinxed for him.."

Sure is ...Lat from 2016 foil falling off is not too far south of here.

But ONLY"that body of water" where he is jinxed?

Guess WHICH DAY in November 2016 that his foil fell off?

. ...falling off 6 days before WHAT LAST DAY in November?

Saturday 19 November 2016 = Saturday 21 November 2020.

Friday 25 November 2016 = Friday 27 November 2020.

Should have painted this boat ANY COLOUR but that LAST FRIDAY in November one.   

What happens when you paint these VG boats BLACK?

I'm not superstitious mind you. 

IMG_20201122_114031.jpg

IMG_20201122_114113.jpg

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, JoeBleaux said:

Did I miss something? Did he actually drop out. Gutted for him. 

If you are superstitious all black VG boats keep going in November.

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

. ...falling off 6 days before WHAT LAST DAY in November?

Saturday 19 November 2016 = Saturday 21 November 2020

• Like 1

Interestingly the max G-force only being 1.2g suggests that the bow didn't dig in in a boat stopping nose dive, or that the boat hit something and cam to a complete stand still.

I haven't been following these numbers at all but if the -1.3m is recent, suggests a bow compartment full of water?

1 minute ago, Thread Killer said:

I think it is an ultrasonic sensor mounted under the bowsprit.

which would be about 1.3m above the bow.  So bearing in mind the data feed back for the web page is probably in a raw format and processed at base if the feed is turned off It would default to -1.3m

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

which would be about 1.3m above the bow.  So bearing in mind the data feed back for the web page is probably in a raw format and processed at base if the feed is turned off It would default to -1.3m

Sounds reasonable, but I would think that it would report zero if the feed were turned off. If the feed is on, then -1.3 being a maximum height would indicate that the bow really is down.

9 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Which sounds great except, 1.2g and 5.58°heel and 8.4kt are funny defaults ;-) 

We'll have to wait and see what's wrong. But remember this boat was re-built after initially suffering structural issues. (Not sure if a UFO was completely or partially responsible) and it spent a lot of time in the shed so this wouldn't happen again. If it has Alex should be pissed off especially after publicly stating a massive focus was placed on reliability this time. The boat even had sensors in the hull. (Almost sounds like they expected this might happen). If it's a minor issue and repairable then I doubt it would have been reported the way it was? Time will tell. So Corum VPLP Out, Charal VPLP just hanging on and Boss VPLP possibly out? Meanwhile the Verdier twins are ok. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

My thoughts exactly, plus if you were setting this up, positive bow height would be up and negative down yeah?

47 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

IMG_20201122_114031.jpgIMG_20201122_114113.jpg

Now that's GERMAN PRECISION... after all he's German... no?  ;)

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, weightless said:

Wouldn't heavy spray / immersion make it difficult to get clean data? I might be tempted to use gyro to get pitch data and then calculate.

Quoted from Alex's website;  (click the "i" in the upper right of the widget to see it)

MAX BOW HEIGHT

The maximum bow height (measured here in metres) recorded within the latest hourly interval.

The bow height is the vertical distance between the lower point of the bow closest to the water, and the waterline itself.

This is calculated by an ultrasonic device, located on the bow sprit. The maximum bow height which can be read is 3.7m.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

We'll have to wait and see what's wrong. But remember this boat was re-built after initially suffering structural issues. (Not sure if a UFO was completely or partially responsible) and it spent a lot of time in the shed so this wouldn't happen again. If it has Alex should be pissed off especially after publicly stating a massive focus was placed on reliability this time. The boat even had sensors in the hull. (Almost sounds like they expected this might happen). If it's a minor issue and repairable then I doubt it would have been reported the way it was? Time will tell. So Corum VPLP Out, Charal VPLP just hanging on and Boss VPLP possibly out? Meanwhile the Verdier twins are ok. 

Corum is a Juan K,

21 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

True but it could come down to how the code is written for each value.  Some may default to last returned value.  We'll almost certainly never know.

Well if the next report we get is Alex being taken off the boat, then the -1.3m is probably right.  The loads on the rig on a boat floating anywhere like the rendering are massive and if she's gotten to that stage i don't see him sailing back to land.

26 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

The way they plug themselves Hugo Boss make it sound like they do a lot more in house design than most teams and use VPLP as consulting designers.  It is not uncommon for teams and builders in projects like these to use third party composite engineers.  It would be interesting to know who did the structures for each boat, not just the hull and foil shapes.

32 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Corum = JK, NOT VPLP.

I’m gutted for Alex, but another boat still racing was doing a major repair to a several foot long crack in a main bulkhead a few days ago. All hope isn’t lost, and it’s hard to speculate further until more details are known.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
16 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

The way they plug themselves Hugo Boss make it sound like they do a lot more in house design than most teams and use VPLP as consulting designers.  It is not uncommon for teams and builders in projects like these to use third party composite engineers.  It would be interesting to know who did the structures for each boat, not just the hull and foil shapes.

Not to mention terrafirma has a history of repeating inaccurate memory - Hugo Boss lost a keel hitting something. Kind of diff from dropping a keel on its own.

1 hour ago, arr4ws said:

Dude never gets a fuckin break. 

Dude always gets fuckin breaks... broken foil, broken keel, broken stringers, ... the list goes on-and-on.

Shame it happened again, during a thrilling 3-way battle for 1st. 

10 hours ago, noaano said:

Early plot of sat ais data captured today:

BTW it seems HB has slowed down substantially:

This slowdown happened just after the public tracker update, which is still showing that 16.4 kts from 45 mins ago.

Maybe this is the moment of the clusterfuck (10 hours ago)...

I guess now the sensing data offline of Alex makes sense...

1712243341_Sinttulo-1.thumb.jpg.1561829aa526de1516dbb5cc41e22fbb.jpg

Worst case scenario (sinking) he has a few boats around (apart from the boys), all the VG fleet behind, and the weather / sea state forecast is benign for quite a long time

As of 3:00UT the AT race site is showing 8.2kts  max in the last hour. But the --1.3m bow height is also the max in the last hour. Which is weird unless it's sinking at 8.2 kts and still transmitting, which seems unlikely. Poor Alex, I'm not a rabid fan or anything but I greatly admire people who can get sponsors to achieve their dreams at a high level when others (non-Frenchies in ocean racing) struggle, and for that he is almost without peer.  

Edit: The team race twitter feed did say as of 3 hours ago they are figuring out a repair program so perhaps all is not lost and Yves Parlier here we come. 

• Like 1

AT is moving pretty quick for a boat with a bow full of water.  Hell, he's moving at an ok pace for having any sort of major structural problem. Here's hoping it's repairable and we still get to see Boss show its' full potential in the Southern part of 3 big Oceans. 

11 minutes ago, tDot said:

AT is moving pretty quick for a boat with a bow full of water.  Hell, he's moving at an ok pace for having any sort of major structural problem. Here's hoping it's repairable and we still get to see Boss show its' full potential in the Southern part of 3 big Oceans. 

Your kidding right? He's doing 6 knots and dropped 60 miles to Apivia. 

1 hour ago, Rafael said:
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

IMG_20201122_114031.jpgIMG_20201122_114113.jpg

Now that's GERMAN PRECISION... after all he's German... no?  ;)

^^^^^ PS. Adding to the second last Saturday in November being SIX DAYS before the unlucky last Friday in November, Black Friday. Two SIXES in a row is one short of the Devil's Number or Number of the Beast, in this case a 'black beast' (just as in Jerom's 'black beast,' and similiarly unlucky.)

"Now that's GERMAN PRECISION... after all he's German ... no?"

So a 'beast' of some kind now comes into play, me not being superstitious and all. Rafael you now demand precision.

Now ordinarily I would stick to my mantra of HB/AT being German to enable having any love for someone posing as being a colonial/invading Englishman, but now I think it is time to be rational and for common sense to prevail. Even precise as you say.

- The 'beast' related idiom is, 'raining cats and dogs' and that is English, NOT German in origin. 

- In England it is a statistical fact it rains MORE cats than dogs, and the fuckers are predominantly 'BLACK' fucking 'unlucky' ones. 

- In Germany when it rains heavily it is only German Shepherds that fall from the cloudy sky. Again a statistical fact, ONLY 6.8% of all German Shepherds are entirely black.

So Raphael to answer your question, clearly unlucky by all of his own making and measured under every metric, Alex is definitely now a fucking Brit, not German. 

images - 2020-11-22T131241.712.jpeg

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^^^ PS. Adding to the second last Saturday in November being SIX DAYS before the unlucky last Friday in November, Black Friday. Two SIXES in a row is one short of the Devil's Number or Number of the Beast, in this case a 'black beast' (just as in Jerom's 'black beast,' and similiarly unlucky).

So a 'beast' of some kind now comes into play, me not being superstitious and all. Rafael you now seek precision.

Now ordinarily I would stick to my mantra of HB/AT being German to enable having any love for someone posing as being a colonial/invading Englishman, but now I think it is time to be rational and for common sense to prevail. Even precise as you say.

- The 'beast' related idiom, 'raining cats and dogs' is English, NOT German in origin. 

- In England it is a statistical fact it rains MORE cats than dogs, and the fuckers are predominantly 'black' fucking 'unlucky' ones. 

- In Germany when it rains heavily it is only German Shepards that fall from the cloudy sky. Again a statistical fact, only 6.8% of all German Shepherds are entirely black.

So to answer your question, clearly unlucky by all of his own making and measured under every metric, Alex is definitely now a fucking Brit, not German. 

In Cincinnati it rained turkeys. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

In Cincinnati it rained turkeys. 

Mate can you please keep up ....turkeys are not 666 numbered "beasts" they are fucking "birds" and Cincinnati is a long way from the fucking ocean.

However I will give you that turkeys are very unlucky on Thanksgiving, the 4th Thursday in November, which is the DAY before the last Friday, Black Friday. 

You would have thought these turkeys might have joined the fucking dots by now, and been away that very unlucky week. 

PS. Are you suggesting AT is a 'turkey' for painting his boat the unlucky '6 black cat' colour??

images - 2020-11-22T142214.032.jpeg

Given that he's still trucking in the right direction, albeit perhaps not that right given the way the weather is playing out, I guess he's waiting for the fix from the boys back home. Perhaps a glimmer of hope? Ive got a feeling that the high pressure is rather more developed than the forecast is showing and the following pack might be better off heading south west ...... 

2 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Given that he's still trucking in the right direction, albeit perhaps not that right given the way the weather is playing out, I guess he's waiting for the fix from the boys back home. Perhaps a glimmer of hope? Ive got a feeling that the high pressure is rather more developed than the forecast is showing and the following pack might be better off heading south west ...... 

You could well be right in all regards there. Certainly the conditions would make dealing with the boat easier rather than harder. He is doing 6 knots while the other 2 are are making 13 and 14 knots. The $$$ question is:  Is the hull has cracked or a ring frame damaged? One is a lot easier to repair. 

45 minutes ago, tDot said:

Here's hoping it's repairable and we still get to see Boss show its' full potential in the Southern part of 3 big Oceans. 

Common sense might not be on your side but superstition is. 

If you are superstitious all black VG boats keep going in November.

I'm too busy reading up on astrology to make any sensible comment yet.

Has anyone at the front reported an abnormal sea way as in northeast bound current hitting the north easterly airflow???

Other than that potential, not exactly boat breaking conditions with their TWA's. 

Then what is the colour next Friday always the last Friday' in November???

Then do you spot any colour patterns in this edition?

Are you referring to Black Friday and Hugo Boss and Charal.? 

16 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

What happens in December? :D

More turkeys die, WOXI has communications equipment protest issues in S2H and every 4 years Aust naval personel hope their time off is not fucked up by a tour to the SO which is not the SO.

Other than that pretty normal. 

3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Then what is the colour next Friday always the last Friday' in November???

Then do you spot any colour patterns in this edition?

Are you referring to Black Friday and Hugo Boss and Charal.? 

(Hand over mouth to stop giggling)

You are on the piss early today Terra. 

1 hour ago, noaano said:

temp.png

That appears more like AIS instalation differences impacting upon their respective AIS TX sentence integrity and then satellite RX intervals and updates. Charlie's the worst.

Not sea state/heel impacting on antenna orientation or COG changes.

You can see a satellite pass that MT subscribes to favouring all three when around 22 - 23 south postcode. 

2 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

If it’s something like a ring frame or turning block hard point, and you fix it in an hour, how long before you can load it?  Say 50% stress. 

A lot of two part epoxy will fully cure in 24 hours at room temp... below 10 degrees C? more specialized formulations or assistance needed.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^^^ PS. Adding to the second last Saturday in November being SIX DAYS before the unlucky last Friday in November, Black Friday. Two SIXES in a row is one short of the Devil's Number or Number of the Beast, in this case a 'black beast' (just as in Jerom's 'black beast,' and similiarly unlucky.)

"Now that's GERMAN PRECISION... after all he's German ... no?"

So a 'beast' of some kind now comes into play, me not being superstitious and all. Rafael you now demand precision.

- The 'beast' related idiom is, 'raining cats and dogs' and that is English, NOT German in origin. 

- In England it is a statistical fact it rains MORE cats than dogs, and the fuckers are predominantly 'BLACK' fucking 'unlucky' ones. 

- In Germany when it rains heavily it is only German Shepherds that fall from the cloudy sky. Again a statistical fact, ONLY 6.8% of all German Shepherds are entirely black.

So Raphael to answer your question, clearly unlucky by all of his own making and measured under every metric, Alex is definitely now a fucking Brit, not German. 

ExplodingBulb.gif.9a1dfb76d0a9dd1b4c29003e15742688.gif

It's certainly been an intense and tough night for everyone... for Alex Thomson, for his team and family, for the VG 2020, and for everyone here...  including germans, brits, americans, spanish, french... or the nationality you want...

At this moment, we have a unique sailor and his revolutionary custom boat in distress in the S Atlantic..., I do appreciate your dense, precise, elaborated, mindfull inputs and comments, really... they add a lot to this forum (the best one to follow, for this, and for other races for sure)..., but sincerely I don't give a fuck about the rain, the dogs, the black color, the mantras, or the self virtual inflated ego... peace man, peace... and let's hope the british skipper on the german team will be back to the race, or at least solve the situation in the best posible way...

Have a beautiful dawn and a nice Sunday morning from the sunny Spain... cheers

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Uhmmm, hope is the last chance and light we all have... hope you are right and the problem is not fatal and can be fixed... in the worst case, let's also hope he will come back and race again his sixth VG in 2024 :)