Others are arriving to the scene:

temp.png

My tracking needs a rethought, as all the logic in it is built on (false) premise of HB being there in the lead. For example, I prune and range-gate all the ais messages based on his position. I don't know, the motivation to do this seems lacking at the moment. Sad news.

• Like 2
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

Just watched the English live and thought the interview with Yoann Richomme was great. He seems like a great person and obviously an amazing sailor. Some of those questions he faced seemed a bit fierce to me - about why he couldn’t get to the start line of the last two Vendees. I am sure that must be a sensitive subject for him. Truly hoping he gets picked up by a sponsor for 2024. 

• Like 2
Just now, Varan said:

Don't worry Alex, Mr. FixIt is on his way.

20201122_055157.thumb.jpg.236066b440888117e144c5278481c179.jpg

I am glad none of the other sailors have had to divert to fish Alex out of this situation. 

If nothing else Hugo Boss is back to #1 in social media hits. These other sailors are scrambling up and down their mast in a gale thinking “what do I have to do to get a bit of attention??” meanwhile Alex is in the clean polo sort and recliner chair, “hmm, what shall we do today? Structural issues, hove to, a bit of sleep” and presto change-o, web hits are back on the rise.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, staysail said:

We folk onshore can really have no idea about the cause of the problem however.
If it is really a "structural issue" as opposed to damage from hitting an object in the water, the "fix" is not likely to be an "easy" one! If the hull structure did not have manufacturing defects or errors (unlikely?) and the design has proved unable to withstand the slamming experienced during only a small fraction of the total racing time, logically it is not just a repair which is needed. It is a reinforcement operation, otherwise it needs to be sailed less aggressively. .

We don't know - it might just some hull-structure joint delaminated and needing some nice words, care, sanding and epoxy, or it might be something much worse. Sounds like they are optimistic it can be fixed -> it cannot be that bad, but most likely _has_ to be fixed before it gets worse and sinks the ship. We'll see.

1 hour ago, staysail said:

We folk onshore can really have no idea about the cause of the problem however.
If it is really a "structural issue" as opposed to damage from hitting an object in the water, the "fix" is not likely to be an "easy" one! If the hull structure did not have manufacturing defects or errors (unlikely?) and the design has proved unable to withstand the slamming experienced during only a small fraction of the total racing time, logically it is not just a repair which is needed. It is a reinforcement operation, otherwise it needs to be sailed less aggressively. The race is still in its early stages and boats will have a lot more slamming to withstand before they get back to Les Sables. The VG is known for being a war of attrition.

Speaking of slamming, I am so looking forward to see how well L'OCCITANE EN PROVENCE handles it. I think the scow bow concept makes sense for this race.

Damn halyard lock.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stief said:

Thanks-- 2012 repair Nov 19 

Anyone interested? In case you are not able to produce a laminate under vacuum it always helps to have some mull bandange on hand. Those are applying pressure but you need to have peel ply underneath. And the mull bandange helps squizzing out excessive resin. 

Really hope that Alex will be able to race „full on“ again!

13 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Bummer for AT. He's cursed.

I do long distance trailrunning, there is a similar brutal race on that field, with similar "destinies".

"Gary Robbins reached the yellow gate finish just six seconds over the 60-hour cut-off.":

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/4/5/15189226/barkley-marathons-gary-robbins-canada-finish-6-seconds-late

"The Barkley Marathons should be attempted by nobody" - this would fit Vendee Globe just as well.

On 11/21/2020 at 1:32 AM, Chasm said:

Looks like Isabelle was a penalty. Broken engine seal? Nothing on the noticeboard yet. I'm blind. It is in "Jury hearing decisions VG20RG" 2x2h for a broken prop seal, 1x1h for sending the picture of the seal too late.

Thanks. Wondered why Clément Giraud (Compagnie du Lit / Jiliti) has one less hour penalty than 
 Louis Burton (Bureau Vallée) and Isabelle (MACSF), when all three had infringed SI 11.5

Looks like Isabelle's pushpit repairs was a good time to serve her penalty.

9 minutes ago, noaano said:

I do long distance trailrunning, there is a similar brutal race on that field, with similar "destinies".

"Gary Robbins reached the yellow gate finish just six seconds over the 60-hour cut-off.":

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/4/5/15189226/barkley-marathons-gary-robbins-canada-finish-6-seconds-late

"The Barkley Marathons should be attempted by nobody" - this would fit Vendee Globe just as well.

The Barkley is so beyond the Vendee IMO when you apples to apples it.

17 minutes ago, Varan said:

Speaking of slamming, I am so looking forward to see how well L'OCCITANE EN PROVENCE handles it. I think the scow bow concept makes sense for this race.

Damn halyard lock.

Boris Herman is dreaming of a scow, he thinks it'd cushion the slamming nicely

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks. Wondered why Clément Giraud (Compagnie du Lit / Jiliti) has one less hour penalty than 
 Louis Burton (Bureau Vallée) and Isabelle (MACSF), when all three had infringed SI 11.5

Looks like Isabelle's pushpit repairs was a good time to serve her penalty.

One of the three only reported late, the other two had broken seals, so I'd assume Clément was the late one rather than the broken seal.

5 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Boris Herman is dreaming of a scow, he thinks it'd cushion the slamming nicely

Also remembered that video with his thoughts, he was mentioning it in the context of foiling, so apparently having that scow bow might facilitate a more sustainable foiling. Based on the more or less flat water "show off" foiling videos it is hard to imagine how the bow shape comes into play when foiling but maybe offshore it is more likely to accelerate and slam the bow in the "back" of the next wave despite the elevation by foil lift 

45 minutes ago, Manfred said:

Anyone interested? In case you are not able to produce a laminate under vacuum it always helps to have some mull bandange on hand. Those are applying pressure but you need to have peel ply underneath. And the mull bandange helps squizzing out excessive resin. 

Really hope that Alex will be able to race „full on“ again!

What is "mull bandange".........is that what you call duck tape er......duct tape?   

13 minutes ago, Snowden said:

anyone know what system are they using for the solo climb these days? assume more complex than two jumars

11 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Grigri and ascender and pulley is common. 

yeah from Petzl.

I like how the thing prevents the chest from flying off the mast 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Butenbremer said:

Also remembered that video with his thoughts, he was mentioning it in the context of foiling, so apparently having that scow bow might facilitate a more sustainable foiling. Based on the more or less flat water "show off" foiling videos it is hard to imagine how the bow shape comes into play when foiling but maybe offshore it is more likely to accelerate and slam the bow in the "back" of the next wave despite the elevation by foil lift 

Its the same theory as a normal scow, i.e. that its the long wide body that promotes surfing,  so when the waves come in they hit a large surface and the boat resists nose diving and slowing and instead skips off the water continuing the surf.

17 minutes ago, Chris UK said:

What is "mull bandange".........is that what you call duck tape er......duct tape?   

The German word is „Mullbinde“, the dictionaries told me the English expression. It also said gauze bandage. And NO, def. not duck tape! You wońt squeeze out the excess resin. You will just press it into the laminate.  BAD. „Mullbinde“ is being used as a pharmaceutical article in case of a wound which need compression...or so. Sorry for my English.

2 hours ago, cortosam said:

It's a bit boring all the wanking about Alex Thomson, "unique sailor" what does it mean? Did he win something relevant like François Gabart, Michel Desjoyeaux, Franck Cammas ?

He is an awesome sailors, like many others

It means he is quite a unique sailor (once again), singular, extraordinary, relentless...

Yes, it's a fact, he didn't win something relevant, (yet)... like the gBoy, Proff Mich, Cammas, indeed..., and again that's what makes him... ejem... UNIQUE :D

But let me explain you a little more buddy... mastwalks, KeelWalks, KiteFlySkys... +16 years of succesfull sponsorship with HB on the VG and the IMOCA circuit as an outsider..., and again not winning something relevant, YET... but there is more!.. TurboBoosting the audience of a mainly french event worldwide... grounding into an island and winning de RdRum (not officialy as he was disqualified) that's quite unique too!... chasing Armel the Chacal with an amputated leg (foil) through the southern oceans breaking the actual solo monohull record in the way back les Sables last VG... again another quite unique acomplishment... and of course building unique and revolutionary monohull boats out of the main french bubble circuit... training with them in his home waters on his own... quite unique too (!!)...

The history is full of awesome and unique international sailors, of course... to mention just a few Magallanes, Colombus, Slocum, Dumas, Chichester, Ellen McCarthur (a femme) of course also french!, Tabarly, Moitessier..., the last one, the master Bernard Moitessier, as we all know well, refused to win the original first VG with his Joshua and acheived the historic and unique Longue Route when he finally reached Tahiti... again, you don't have to officially win something relevant to be really unique... 

FInally ending my response to your great input (and boring participation after several years as your profile denotes), fella..., I assure you this forum is anything but boring..., and nobody here wanks with any male (at least nobody that is known) maybe someone could wank thinking about beautiful Clarisse's unfortunate boiling coffee squirt... quite unique misfortune too :)

Rant over, back to this unique race...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Varan said:

In the meantime, Le Cam likely to sneak his way into the top three. Who would have guessed that? Go Le Cam!

If the war of attrition continues on the fleet and top foilers, as is the nature of the race, he could be a serious contender after the south... I bet he knows it...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Just watched the English live and thought the interview with Yoann Richomme was great. He seems like a great person and obviously an amazing sailor. Some of those questions he faced seemed a bit fierce to me - about why he couldn’t get to the start line of the last two Vendees. I am sure that must be a sensitive subject for him. Truly hoping he gets picked up by a sponsor for 2024. 

+1

With his palmares perhaps he’s shooting for a new boat & a run at the overall - not content with just ‘making it around’?   

His English is excellent.   Sounds like a bloke you’d meet around SoCal docks before aTranspac.    His choice of ‘tablet’ of chocolate was funny.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Manfred said:
1 hour ago, Chris UK said:

The German word is „Mullbinde“, the dictionaries told me the English expression. It also said gauze bandage. And NO, def. not duck tape! You wońt squeeze out the excess resin. You will just press it into the laminate.  BAD. „Mullbinde“ is being used as a pharmaceutical article in case of a wound which need compression...or so. Sorry for my English.

It is a permeable/gauze, elastic/semi elastic, some self adhesive, 'conforming' type bandages in all their medical kits used for compression, support, securing dressings, plaster splinting etc. 

The pharma companies all have their own proprietary name often ending in 'plast' for elastic versions or for plain gauze types  'band' or 'binde'

So Tensoplast, Multiplast, Elastoplast etc. Then Handiband, Multibinde etc.

You need a science degree these days to shop for a band-aid. 

PS. You can even find a cheap gauze self stick equivalent at your hardware store used as plasterboard/drywall joint reinforcement that might do the job of compressing and letting excess resin escape?

Edited by jack_sparrow
PS added
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, noaano said:

There is a documentary on the Barkley Marathon which shows just how brutal, and ridiculous, it is. And the founder of the marathon is currently the focus of a lawsuit by a runner who was struck and grievously injured when struck by a car while crossing a highway o the route of another of his marathons. Dubious legal liability, but still...

5 hours ago, Snowden said:

900 miles to Rio for AT, just over a week at current speeds

Hopefully it is "fixable" by AT without having to go into port in Brazil and/or receive parts and/or assistance in person from his shore crew in, presumably, GB, in effectuating the repairs (and of course thereby withdrawing from the race). Brazil is one of the hardest hit countries in the world by Covid, has stringent visa requirements, and restrictions on air travel in and out of the country. 

Just now, despacio avenue said:

Hopefully it is "fixable" by AT without having to go into port in Brazil and/or receive parts and/or assistance in person from his shore crew in, presumably, GB, in effectuating the repairs (and of course thereby withdrawing from the race). Brazil is one of the hardest hit countries in the world by Covid, has stringent visa requirements, and restrictions on air travel in and out of the country. 

I wonder if there's any chance he continues. 

Going into the SO without any real chance of a win in a boat that's already breaking? 

No thanks. 

There'll be a fix and a return to Brazil is my bet

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate there no need to hold back there....he might not have got the message. :lol:

:D hey amigo, I am a bit tired, long sleepless fck night and day with our melon stunt (english is not my mother languaje) I'll leave it to you just in case... :D

49 minutes ago, Snowden said:

1970s attitudes anarchy is that way >>>>>

You send me Course 90 East!, directly to the Cape of Good Hope..., as the race's way... cool... Barman!... please serve a few cold beers to this good man... (PD. my beautiful mom gave me birth some years later...thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience...)

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

I wonder if there's any chance he continues. 

Going into the SO without any real chance of a win in a boat that's already breaking? 

No thanks. 

There'll be a fix and a return to Brazil is my bet

His chances wouldn't be great, but he would certainly have a chance if he can fix it and avoid other big problems. Who's to say the other leaders won't have similar problems. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rafael said:

It means he is quite a unique sailor (once again), singular, extraordinary, relentless...

Yes, it's a fact, he didn't win something relevant, (yet)... like the gBoy, Proff Mich, Cammas, indeed..., and again that's what makes him... ejem... UNIQUE :D

But let me explain you a little more buddy... mastwalks, KeelWalks, KiteFlySkys... +16 years of succesfull sponsorship with HB on the VG and the IMOCA circuit as an outsider..., and again not winning something relevant, YET... but there is more!.. TurboBoosting the audience of a mainly french event worldwide... grounding into an island and winning de RdRum (not officialy as he was disqualified) that's quite unique too!... chasing Armel the Chacal with an amputated leg (foil) through the southern oceans breaking the actual solo monohull record in the way back les Sables last VG... again another quite unique acomplishment... and of course building unique and revolutionary monohull boats out of the main french bubble circuit... training with them in his home waters on his own... quite unique too (!!)...

The history is full of awesome and unique international sailors, of course... to mention just a few Magallanes, Colombus, Slocum, Dumas, Chichester, Ellen McCarthur (a femme) of course also french!, Tabarly, Moitessier..., the last one, the master Bernard Moitessier, as we all know well, refused to win the original first VG with his Joshua and acheived the historic and unique Longue Route when he finally reached Tahiti... again, you don't have to officially win something relevant to be really unique... 

FInally ending my response to your great input (and boring participation after several years as your profile denotes), fella..., I assure you this forum is anything but boring..., and nobody here wanks with any male (at least nobody that is known) maybe someone could wank thinking about beautiful Clarisse's unfortunate boiling coffee squirt... quite unique misfortune too :)

Rant over, back to this unique race...

Anyway, this forum has very interesting insights, this is the reason why im following the race as well on this forum, and i appreciate the fact Alex Thomson is bringing international audience to offshore racing, and i really hope he is going to be able to fight for the win. I was as much disappointed when Jérémy had to return to les sables d'Olonne.

What can be said about the french bubble, they train a lot, it's a simple as that. :)

8 minutes ago, JoeBleaux said:

His chances wouldn't be great, but he would certainly have a chance if he can fix it and avoid other big problems. Who's to say the other leaders won't have similar problems. 

Every boat on the fleet is going to have problems, some will be larger than longitudinal structure issues. 

Last race Alex was considered to be out of the race at this stage, that was a bad assumption to make it seems ; fingers crossed that he is back into it inside 48hrs. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Being on the Vendee podium is not nothing.

The month was August and the clay was the twenty-second. Even the time of the afternoon—5:45—was mentioned by the alert correspondent of the Times of London, who further observed that the Prince of Wales went ashore from the royal yacht wearing his while sailor’s uniform and tarpaulin hat and danced down the road with boyish vivacity.

To bring the appealing picture into focus it is necessary to add only that the year was 1851, that the young prince was the future King Edward VII, and that the occasion was a race in which the most newsworthy competitor was a schooner from the United States, the America .

Queen Victoria was immensely interested and probably assumed that at least one of the fourteen British cutlers and schooners that had started at 10 o’clock that morning in a 53-mile contest around England’s Isle of Wight would defeat the American invader. From the Victoria and Albert , in which the royal party had put aside the cares of state, the smaller steam yacht Fairy was dispatched seaward of the Needles for a view that the young prince and his shoregoing party had relinquished because of wind and drizzle. The Fairy ’s return gave rise to questions and answers so famous and so paraphrased that some historians cloud their authenticity with the invidious word “alleged.”

Thus the Queen is alleged to have asked a signalmaster, “Are the yachts in sight?”

“Only the America , may it please Your Majesty.”

“Which is second?”

“Ah, Your Majesty, there is no second.”

• Like 1

The boat on the move is Arkea.  Wasn't he something like 12th across the equator?  Now he very well could be in a podium spot by Cape of Good Hope.  

Surprised that PRB and Burton got swallowed up by the chasing pack.  Just looking at the boat designs, would have expected them to leg out on all but Arkea.  

Wow, didn't check in for a day. The expected happened again... Makes you wonder if he should not have done a few more races to discover such issues earlier. It will be incredibly difficult to catch up with the leaders.

Interesting two of the favorites have experienced significant damage without hitting something. Who would have thought Charral woud be in the back, and the Boss somewhere in middle (best case scenario) by the time they get to the cape?

1 hour ago, despacio avenue said:

There is a documentary on the Barkley Marathon which shows just how brutal, and ridiculous, it is. And the founder of the marathon is currently the focus of a lawsuit by a runner who was struck and grievously injured when struck by a car while crossing a highway o the route of another of his marathons. Dubious legal liability, but still...

Here is another heartbreaker ultra running story.

1 hour ago, OPAL said:

Bleeding the miles at the moment...fingers crossed.

#.jpg

Unless some big sh*t happens too at the front runners, which I certainly don’t hope, the train has left the station. I’m not sure which drying times are applicable for repairs?

2 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

shows just how brutal, and ridiculous, it is. 

Brutal yes, ridiculous no.

For a challenge to be a challenge, it has to be a challenge. It has to be almost impossible, but just quite not, with a razor thin margin.

DZzSK3gW4AAVdoI?format=jpg&name=small

This is what winning Vendee means to Alex. It would not mean the same if it was easy.

Handy transcript of Richomme's comments about Alex on today's Live

“Supposing it takes Alex 24 hours to effect a repair and get going again he would rejoin the chasing group with Arkéa Paprec, Initiatives Couer and PRB, he would lose quite a bit as that would put him 1000 miles behind at Cape of Good Hope. But I have been looking at the history of the race as well and remember that last time on the last race he rounded Cape Horn 800 miles behind Armel Le Cléac’h and so I would not call this ‘game over’.’ Suggested Yoann Richomme, winner of the last Route du Rhum in Class40 and double winner of La Solitaire du Figaro when he was today’s guest on the Vendée Globe LIVE English programme.

Talking about the latest generation of fast foilers Richomme, renowned as a meticulous technician, explained, “These new boats are really tough to sail, they are really hard to engineer and are slamming into the waves with a lot of power, which is most likely happened to Alex. What is hard is that we know that they took their feet off the gas a little in the south on the last race to preserve the boats last time, and I think they will be doing that again. From the scenario we are seeing they need to preserve the boats. When these boats start taking off, they were slamming the hulls a little bit further back but now these boats are fully foiling, flying a lot of the time, it is now the bows which are hitting the waves in front, from 2-3m high at times and the impact on the bows is huge and we know a lot of the boats in France had reinforcements in the bow. We saw Corum in September have a two week repair in their bow. They are discovering new problems and we are hoping they have covered off most of them.” 

Cred for the text by someone? on VG news page. (Andi?)

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Herman said:

Unless some big sh*t happens too at the front runners, which I certainly don’t hope, the train has left the station. I’m not sure which drying times are applicable for repairs?

I would call it the 'train is at station' and nearly finished restocking the dining car ... meanwhile the platform escalator has stopped so passengers have to walk down. :lol:

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, stief said:

VO 65. :lol:

Least we forget, there was a VO 65 that piled up on reef, got a good section of it's stern ripped off (though rig stayed on), was hauled off, repaired, put back into the race and had a good showing.  They were/are a tough boat if not flashy.

if AT can make a valid repair to continue I would consider, if he is in this to win, that he will push this boat as hard as he can and if it breaks, it breaks.  I doubt he is in it for the ride.  If he does and it is optimized for the pseudo SO then he has a lot of time to play catch up.  

In the mean time I continue to follow Sam for I wonder if she is play the long game here and she has more in the boat but waiting to see who the players are when the real game begins.

Anyway, jmtc.

It wasn't high seas or gale force winds that lead to the decision to take repairs.
They, the fleet, were passing the doldrums.

In 24 hours he decides ,if  he's able to make the repairs.
His own web site mentioned a structural damage to and I quote:
a longitudinal beam at the front of the boat
In the deck or in the central keel?

809504638_alexavery3.thumb.PNG.2a9b2329c19588742b9e2b1539bc9847.PNG

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Schakel said:

It wasn't high seas or gale force winds that lead to the decision to take repairs.
They, the fleet, were passing the doldrums.

In 24 hours he decides ,if  he's able to make the repairs.
His own web site mentioned a structural damage to and I quote:
a longitudinal beam at the front of the boat
In the deck or in the central keel?

809504638_alexavery3.thumb.PNG.2a9b2329c19588742b9e2b1539bc9847.PNG

Cool, it will be HB verses Charal again.  

Seriously though, Alex should do the race again, and every race in the lead up too.

1 minute ago, Teaky said:

Cool, it will be HB verses Charal again.  

Seriously though, Alex should do the race again, and every race in the lead up too.

There is a kind of managing stabilty and fingertip feeling required for formula 1 drivers as well Imoca skippers.
Armel and Lewis Hamilton get along and know how to push the limits.
Alex and Jos verstappen are just too wild and emotionally involved.

Letter by the friend of Beyou.   Interesting (despite the machine translation)

OPEN LETTER FROM JACQUES CARAËS, RACE DIRECTOR OF THE GLOBE SALE AND FRIEND OF JÉRÉMIE

10:00 AM UT, 11/11/2020: "Jeremiah is returning to France. Will not be able to repair alone. Everything is secure on his boat for his return »

This sentence has just fallen on the text message of my mobile phone. It comes from Vincent, his team manager. Stunned, I can't believe my eyes, no, it's not possible, it's a bad joke!?

No, Vincent confirms his announcement to me at the race management, we are all on our screens, we look at each other in silence, we have no words.

I imagine, the moment when Jérémie is forced to capitulate and start his turn-through by pushing on the bar of his Charal to head east. The following location on our screens confirms that it is not a bad dream, Jérémie is returning to the old continent.

Impossible for me to write to him right away. The announcement is too brutal. I must give him time to digest this bad dish, to give him time to understand what is happening to him, time so that the first conversations or exchanges of emails can be made with his relatives, his partner, his team manager, his technical manager, his friends, the closest, his family.

It was not until 48 hours later that I decided to write to him, it was no longer the race director who wrote to him but his childhood friend, with whom I began to sail as a crew on the Figaro 1. Already at that time I had noticed in him his pugnacity, his passion, his listening, his attitude as an undisturbed competitor, the expression of a face that does not cheat and that knows his goal "La Gagne".

A return to the Sands Channel not as planned, but he is the hero of today. Despite the confinement, the people of La Chaume and elsewhere overturn the prohibitions and are present at the banks of the docks to welcome him, to applaud him and especially to transmit to him by thought this desire to have the strength to leave, if repairs allow it.

The technical team is on duty the day before its arrival, not just any team of technicians, but its talented and passionate close guard. Outside specialists also immediately abandoned their daily lives to put themselves at the service of Jérémie and his injured boat. Architects, stratifiers of excellence, experts... They are all there to help Jérémie get back to sea. Bravo!

Jérémie for not breaking his containment bubble discreetly withdraws with Alicia to his apartment in Les Sables d'Olonne. Repairs are immediate, day and night tirelessly despite the disadvantageous weather conditions. The technical team works tirelessly, without any complaint.

Without pressure, neither from his sponsor nor from the direction of his internal communication, after rest, reflection, he will make his decision on his own, it is that of a sailor who somehow removes his combat armor, because combat can no longer be the one he has imagined during all these years of preparation and sacrifices.

His decision is Beautiful and Courageous, full of messages, as in his eyes as a young boy when I knew him with me while sailing, with his regattas friends from Morlaix Bay, in North Finistère (29 N north of the expressway, as we like to say among ourselves).

In making this decision, he is admired by everyone.
Don't give up, learn more, learn more and more to reach the Grail it deserves so much.

This determination is full of value, to know how to get up in the greatest difficulty. Few people, few competitors are able to do so. This perfect commitment is unique in itself.

Thank you Jérémie for making us live this, for all of us, for the young generation watching you: what a beautiful lesson in Life.

Good wind, beautiful sea friend Jérémie.
Take care of yourself, come back to us quickly to talk about it again.

Your Friend,
Your race director and his team:
Claire
Pierre
Hubert
Jaco

• Like 5
2 hours ago, stief said:

Bar Karate agrees. Herrmann endorsed in their latest episode

2 hours ago, Rafael said:

Best OBR & filmmaker of the race...

To me it seems like they're not expecting to win and thus decided to be open and informative about tech details including real time sensor data. 

Also Will Harris from Boris Herrmann's team on the EN live recently, talking lots of technical details that other teams would keep secret (or be less open about). What I found most interesting is that the Oscar masthead camera system is linked with Boris' autopilot. From another pre-race interview with Sam I got that the system was too late to be properly integrated with the AP, but apparently Boris' team managed to do it. Would be a massive step up in avoiding collisions.

• Like 2

The concern I have for Boss, is despite being able to complete the repair, have any of the unreinforced hull panels, in way of the longitudinal. been compromised by delamination or disbonding?  Can the boat be pressed to say 70% of it's maximum performance potential with any amount of confidence?

Just now, k-f-u said:

To me it seems like they're not expecting to win and thus decided to be open and informative about tech details including real time sensor data. 

Also Will Harris from Boris Herrmann's team on the EN live recently, talking lots of technical details that other teams would keep secret (or be less open about). What I found most interesting is that the Oscar masthead camera system is linked with Boris' autopilot. From another pre-race interview with Sam I got that the system was too late to be properly integrated with the AP, but apparently Boris' team managed to do it. Would be a massive step up in avoiding collisions.

Yeah, I was puzzled by Sam's comment (Shirley's podcast). Thought I'd read that Herrmann, others, and HB? maybe , had implemented the OSCAR-Autopilot for the race. But Sam knows her stuff and is pretty careful with her words, so I doubted my memory.

Makes sense to open the data, once the boats are on the course. If another team going to redesign something--great, for next time round. And it makes for dedicated followers.

I've liked the VG spirit of training and sharing data together--seems more like the spirit of racing and sailing.  Herrmann is showing and extending that spirit.

Blazers will probably shut it down.

• Like 1