• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

"egocentric national based stinky speech" Thanks !!! This forum never stops to amaze me. If you want to be the AT fanboy that is always happy, carry on.

All I am saying is that when you have had one of the top sponsors in sailing for 16 years and you ave broken so many boats and never won a race, maybe you should adapt, but hey, it allows other guys to win.

I am also trying to explain how the Vendée Globe actually works in terms of sponsorship from a french point of view. I think this forum greatly overestimate Hugo Boss' influence in the race success (again, it is great to see him there). The French sponsors don't care about Hugo Boss presence, they are only interested in the ROI, which as I said is based on the village and national TV/newspaper visibility.

Personally I have never rooted for AT, but I have absolutely loved Sam Davie's and Ellen Mac Arthur's attempts in the past (and today for Sam). In my mind, they have done an awful lot more for the class than AT.

Nobody has said you have to train in France or speak french to take part in the race. It is absolutely great to see international skippers. I would personally love to see someone like Pete Burling to give it a go one day with a competitive boat. I also hope guys like Alan Roberts or Sam Goodchild (we should keep an eye on that one) will have a go one day. BUT it would probably be beneficial for some people to come and see what is happening in France. For those who understand French, I highly recommend to listen to this podcast (https://www.tipandshaft.com/podcasts/intothewind/christian-le-pape/). Christian Le Pape (along with a few others) is the guy that convinced grumpy solo sailors to train together and share their knowledge back in the early 90s, with the success we know.

NB: If you don't know Tip & Shaft, you should defo register to their weekly newsletter, it is very high quality content in french QND in english (they must like globalisation) https://www.tipandshaft.com/en/

Lance Arstrong has actually done a lot of damage to the Tour, but yes, the other guys you mention have helped growing the reputation of these events. You should probably note than unlike AT, they actually have a palmares to show for...

I am from Normandie, and Camembert is fucking disgusting.

DiCap.jpg.3e91e750a7c45143134aef337d7d9f6a.jpgJLCwine2.thumb.jpg.da253c1dffd77e438afe38b202a0dbfd.jpg

I did now T&S merci. It's clear that you don't like AT (laughable looser...) the real modern BOOSTER outsider n1 contender to win the race (technologically and mediatically)... You did mention him to go better train w/Peyron and his mode and all the kids academies in fr, etc... but once he is out of the race and not before when he was leading with excellence and brilliance the first 2 weeks... It's very easy to make wood from a fallen tree...

Anyways Dalin fanboy :)... back to the race (is more interesant than the grumpy loner looser AT no ?) :)

Go Alex!  Go Beyou!  Go Ruyant   Go LeCam!!  and fuckin Go Seguin!!!~!

Partially agree, Camembert is disgusting, but just when is rotten

15 minutes ago, Rafael said:

DiCap.jpg.3e91e750a7c45143134aef337d7d9f6a.jpgJLCwine2.thumb.jpg.da253c1dffd77e438afe38b202a0dbfd.jpg

I did now T&S merci. It's clear that you don't like AT (laughable looser...) the real modern BOOSTER outsider n1 contender to win the race (technologically and mediatically)... You did mention him to go better train w/Peyron and his mode and all the kids academies in fr, etc... but once he is out of the race and not before when he was leading with excellence and brilliance the first 2 weeks... It's very easy to make wood from a fallen tree...

Anyways Dalin fanboy :)... back to the race (is more interesant than the looser AT no ?) :)

Agree Camembert is disgusting, but just when is rotten

What a BS! Calm down, mate will you? :blink:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Rafael said:

I did now T&S merci. It's clear that you don't like AT (laughable looser...) the real modern BOOSTER outsider n1 contender to win the race (technologically and mediatically)... You did mention him to go better train w/Peyron and his mode and all the kids academies in fr, etc... but once he is out of the race and not before when he was leading with excellence and brilliance the first week... It's very easy to make wood from a fallen tree...

Anyways Dalin fanboy :)... back to the race (is more interesant than the looser AT no ?) :)

Let's talk more on how good is Charlie Dalin rather than arguing endlessly why "the best sailor in the world who has been driving innovation in sailing just by himself" hasn't managed one more time to win the Vendée

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

To summarize. AT isn’t French and isn’t important to imoca. But the random guy who showed up the last 48 hours has spent the entire time dissing him with false information, selective memory and pretending French fans haven’t been won over by AT. 

in an English speaking forum. 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

To summarize. AT isn’t French and isn’t important to imoca. But the random guy who showed up the last 48 hours has spent the entire time dissing him with false information, selective memory and pretending French fans haven’t been won over by AT. 

Another BS. 

27 minutes ago, Miffy said:

the vast majority of non French have absolutely no idea just how popular yacht racing is with the French .

Anglo Saxon tractor dealerships have big titted babes on their promo calendars ,

the French have navigateurs :)

• Like 1

Of course I have a suggestion: assuming a “ spare” rudder could be found and fitted to Hugo Boss, why not have Jeremie and Alex hook up off Cape Town for a match race home? 

They were the two favorites whose bad luck denied competing  at the front of the Vendee. If it is within their power to compete at the back, they should.  It is the epic solution.

Perhaps Jeremie could even divert to Cape Town to give time for Hugo Boss repairs and for his own recovery and reprovisioning.

Just saying

SHC

• Like 10
1 hour ago, mad said:

My point exactly, just trying to get the armchair warriors to think about the relative density and concerns that somebody will run into it.;)

Not being funny, I totally understand that sometimes its necessary to for safety to dump things like rigs, foils, etc in the ocean (and hey its probably better than it being in the atmosphere) but carbon fibre will still degrade and chafe into micro particles in the ocean... 

• Like 1
Just now, Steve Clark said:

Of course I have a suggestion: assuming a “ spare” rudder could be found and fitted to Hugo Boss, why not have Jeremie and Alex hook up off Cape Town for a match race home? 

They were the two favorites whose bad luck denied competing  at the front of the Vendee. If it is within their power to compete at the back, they should.  It is the epic solution.

Perhaps Jeremie could even divert to Cape Town to give time for Hugo Boss repairs and for his own recovery and reprovisioning.

Just saying

SHC

Unfortunelly this is not going to happen, but nice idea!... Add L'Occitane to the mix, and we would have and amazing alternative black boats Southern Ocean race (!)... :D I bet the proffesor Desjoyeaux would agree...

13 minutes ago, Mid said:

the vast majority of non French have absolutely no idea just how popular yacht racing is with the French .

Anglo Saxon tractor dealerships have big titted babes on their promo calendars ,

I would see them combine the two into one anglo-french calendar, Clarisse, Miranda, Alexia,  ...

• Like 1

On this pro and anti French stuff, largely from people who do not understand the world, its diversity of cultures, languages and a whole lot more.

How is this "Offshore Doubles" thing going to work. Is it created by those who resent or misunderstand how short handed sailing works in and around France? Have large numbers of mini and Figaro sailors signed up? I don't know, so just asking and playing a bit devil's advocate. An attempt to reinvent or seize control? Ultimately the sailors and the sponsors will decide, and the Olympics might be a one trick pony?

Just now, cms said:

How is this "Offshore Doubles" thing going to work. Is it created by those who resent or misunderstand how short handed sailing works in and around France? Have large numbers of mini and Figaro sailors signed up? I don't know, so just asking and playing a bit devil's advocate. An attempt to reinvent or seize control? Ultimately the sailors and the sponsors will decide, and the Olympics might be a one trick pony?

On the offshore doubles thing, I think its just an anglaised attempt to have some co-hesion for training etc. UK/AU/NZ/America don't have a national authority approval solo/double championship already...

26 minutes ago, Steve Clark said:

Just saying

SHC

Only to have Boss break again would be rather disheartening. Regroup, fix or rebuilt it correctly, thoroughly sea trial it and try again in 4 years.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

On the offshore doubles thing, I think its just an anglaised attempt to have some co-hesion for training etc. UK/AU/NZ/America don't have a national authority approval solo/double championship already...

Indeed, but with the French and their races, circuit etc, or without them?

I figured a material strong enough to lift a boat would be almost impossible to cut, but...  he seemed to have no trouble getting through it.  That surprised me.

A cutoff wheel on a grinder or any metal cutting blade on a reciprocating saw eats through even solid carbon pretty easily.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, cms said:

On this pro and anti French stuff, largely from people who do not understand the world, its diversity of cultures, languages and a whole lot more.

My understanding is this double handed offshore class initiative comes from France - with the 2024 Olympics being in Paris (sailing in Marseille).

I think there is a challenge against it in World sailing at the moment, so who knows what will happen (even if it had been validated before).

The official circuit is with L30 boats, this is only temporary. Some companies haven applied to supply the official boat for the olympics (including Sun Fast 3300, JPK10.30, L30, igaro 3 and others), but this has not been decided yet.

The officiel French team is Marie Riou (Volvo winner) and Benjamin Schwartz (best rookie in the Solitaire du Figaro in 2019).

In the Solent, there are several teams currently training hard in Sun Fast 3300s, including Dee Caffari in one of them.

The biggest double handed offshore circuit is probably the RORC?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Varan said:

Regroup, fix or rebuilt it correctly, thoroughly sea trial it and try again in 4 years.

doubtful .

AT's crown will be on a new head before that .

4 minutes ago, cms said:

Indeed, but with the French and their races, circuit etc, or without them?

Surely that depends on wether the French community wants to join? The French have FFVoile who actually organise things for solo and double handed competitors, they don't need Offshore Doubles. The RYA, Australian Sailing, and I presume US Sailing and the Kiwi MNA (? willing to be corrected on the last two) don't.

Thats not to say, I hasten to add, there isn't solo/double handed racing in the UK, Australia, US and NZ. Just that its not organised by the relevant MNAs, unlike France where it is.

2 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

The biggest double handed offshore circuit is probably the RORC?

Transquadra, 2 handed entries in a whole pile of French races, clubs etc. RORC good, but different and on a different page.

You say this originated in France? Any info that corroborates that?

The L30 is generally loathed. Grabbed attention by promising a fleet of boats, before shitting themselves with the consequences. There is of course an anti bi builder lobby, so Beneteau, Jeanneau, J Boats etc have supporters and enemies. 

We shall see.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Surely that depends on wether the French community wants to join? The French have FFVoile who actually organise things for solo and double handed competitors, they don't need Offshore Doubles. The RYA, Australian Sailing, and I presume US Sailing and the Kiwi MNA (? willing to be corrected on the last two) don't.

You are touching on my concern. With or without the French? It cannot be down to the French to sign up to something created without consulting them, involving them, surely? Like I said, I don't have the inside story, so interested.

1 minute ago, cms said:

You are touching on my concern. With or without the French? It cannot be down to the French to sign up to something created without consulting them, involving them, surely? Like I said, I don't have the inside story, so interested.

Nor do I, but its not an official body, its just some people interested in lobbying the respective anglaise MNAs (at least from my perspective).

• Like 1

More and more races now allow exctracted double handed results.

In the Solent, JOG, RORC, and even round the cans events like Hamble Winter Series (see photo below) allow for this.

I think it is also the case in France with a recent double handed class at Spi Ouest, and possibly at SNIM ?

I thin there are a couple of events in Figaro as well, Transat AG2R and another shorter one I can't remember.

DSC_8432.jpg

12 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

My understanding is this double handed offshore class initiative comes from France - with the 2024 Olympics being in Paris (sailing in Marseille).

Indeed, my understanding as  well

15 minutes ago, cms said:

Transquadra, 2 handed entries in a whole pile of French races, clubs etc. RORC good, but different and on a different page.

You say this originated in France? Any info that corroborates that?

The L30 is generally loathed. Grabbed attention by promising a fleet of boats, before shitting themselves with the consequences. There is of course an anti bi builder lobby, so Beneteau, Jeanneau, J Boats etc have supporters and enemies. 

We shall see.

https://www.tipandshaft.com/institutions/nicolas-henard-je-fais-la-promo-de-la-course-au-large-dans-lolympisme/

https://www.tipandshaft.com/voile-olympique/le-l30-choisi-pour-les-mondiaux-offshore-2020-quid-de-paris-2024/

https://www.tipandshaft.com/voile-olympique/comment-la-filiere-de-course-au-large-olympique-sorganise/

https://www.tipandshaft.com/voile-olympique/comment-la-filiere-de-course-au-large-olympique-sorganise/

2 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

a couple of events

A lot more than a couple. Short handed sailing is long established and big here in France. The JPK 960, 10,10, 10,30, 10,80, the Sun fast 3200, 3600, 3300 were all designed with the Transquadra in mind, and this has spun outwards to other events all over. The Trophée Audi Double here in St Malo has been by far the most successful series since we set it up about 8 years ago, and the list of short handed events is huge, and has been for years.

The high end goes Mini, Figaro, Class 40, IMOCA and/or multihull and has massive attention which feeds down to club racing. A bit like down under skiff sailing with 12, 16 and 18 footer circuits?

No one is saying that how France does this is the only way, but surely worth learning, integrating, developing together, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel? There seem to be lots of cool sailors out there who have not properly researched or understood the French scene.

• Like 2
Just now, cms said:

Do you know anyone who has raced one, and also raced a Sun fast 3300, a JPK 10,30, or a J/99?

No, but my undertanding is that the L30 is shit. No doubt the boat decision will be very political, and the later they leave, the harder it will get to build a proper one design fleet.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, cms said:

The high end goes Mini, Figaro, Class 40, IMOCA and/or multihull and has massive attention which feeds down to club racing. A bit like down under skiff sailing with 12, 16 and 18 footer circuits?

Having experienced both, it's exactly like that and why France produces the best solo and double handed offshore sailors around, and why Aussies make such good high performance sailors.

19 minutes ago, cms said:

No one is saying that how France does this is the only way, but surely worth learning, integrating, developing together, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel? There seem to be lots of cool sailors out there who have not properly researched or understood the French scene.

It comes down, in part, to the language barrier.

13 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

It comes down to the language barrier.

Living here as a Scot, I can say it is more cultural than language. My father taught me to look behind and beyond the words, to dive in to the colours, the tastes, smells, feelings. Europe has progressed a lot since WWII, without significant loss of national identities. School and student exchanges, cheap rail cards, business interdependency, government and EU support. There has been a notable exception (at least amongst the Etonian bankers in power), and I can understand the rest of the further flung English speaking world's difficulty. Probably easier for a Kiwi, from a small remote country than for many in the USA, which, in so many ways, is big and even diverse enough to not need the rest of the world, far less some surrender monkeys who smell of garlic and eat snails.

We need all the colours, tastes, fashions, ideas if we are going anywhere.

• Like 3

I’m so curious why supposed Frenchmen are suddenly appearing in SA after Hugo Boss drops out but most of the content they’re posting is philosophical psychobabble or something so disconnected from reality like the figaro school can teach you how to avoid fishing gear in the southern Atlantic. Then one browses where there’s actually French commentators on French sites and it is so much more gracious. 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 2
2 minutes ago, cms said:

Living here as a Scot, I can say it is more cultural than language. My father taught me to look behind and beyond the words, to dive in to the colours, the tastes, smells, feelings. Europe has progressed a lot since WWII, without significant loss of national identities. School and student exchanges, cheap rail cards, business interdependency, government and EU support. There has been a notable exception (at least amongst the Etonian bankers in power), and I can understand the rest of the further flung English speaking world's difficulty. Probably easier for a Kiwi, from a small remote country than for many in the USA, which, in so many ways, is big and even diverse enough to not need the rest of the world, far less some surrender monkeys who smell of garlic and eat snails.

I think I have sailed with your son Andy @cms

1 hour ago, Varan said:

Only to have Boss break again would be rather disheartening. Regroup, fix or rebuilt it correctly, thoroughly sea trial it and try again in 4 years.

In 4 years he'll be 50... humm, maybe step into the trimaran Ultim circuit ? (much more pleasant and less unhuman...) we'll see what he says once he is back in dry land

2 minutes ago, cms said:

I agree, the French are wonderful people and generally happy to help; I'm trying to learn French as part of my mini campaign, but it is not easy for me, and it is not easy for many other native english speakers and the highly technically aspect of sailing makes it harder. I simply understand why people are trying to "reinvent the wheel" they envy the French scene and wish to have their own scenes in their own countries that are as good.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I agree, the French are wonderful people and generally happy to help; I'm trying to learn French as part of my mini campaign, but it is not easy for me, and it is not easy for many other native english speakers and the highly technically aspect of sailing makes it harder. I simply understand why people are trying to "reinvent the wheel" they envy the French scene and wish to have their own scenes in their own countries that are as good.

First, Miffy - fuck off! OK?

Then Bebmoumoute - sounds like you have! Not sure where his talent came from. His mum probably.

Hitchhiker - you make no sense. We are allies of France since 1295, under the Auld Alliance. Until 1903 there was automatic dual citizenship. I only have to mention I am Scots for smiles to appear. Thank God!

Finally JonRowe, agreed. Irina Gracheva, Russian mini sailor will agree too, as will so many. France does not exclude, but simply needs you to take the plunge.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

Not being funny, I totally understand that sometimes its necessary to for safety to dump things like rigs, foils, etc in the ocean (and hey its probably better than it being in the atmosphere) but carbon fibre will still degrade and chafe into micro particles in the ocean... 

Absolutely agreed, but it really is pissing in the ocean compared to just about anything else.  Where's Corums rig and sails at the moment?

45 minutes ago, cms said:

Do you know anyone who has raced one, and also raced a Sun fast 3300, a JPK 10,30, or a J/99?

Yes - Caffari/ Harayda did one of the L30 events - the RYA is running a selection / ranking for UK crews (not RORC)

1 hour ago, Mid said:

Big tits rule the calendar world here in Italy also

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Shrug I dunno what you’re so upset about - we’re just calling it as we see it yah? It is so much more gracious amongst skippers and affiliates and French commentary. 

I'm not offended, just being an Anarchist. Totally agree that the frogs have no antipathy towards the others. AT is a fellow Celt, so gutted to see him out, but equally impressed to see the MD of Corum fly down to Cape Verde to show Nico his solidarity. My loyalties in the race are many. Louis, Kevin and Maxime. locals and in the circle of friends, Sam for various reasons, personal and other, JLC cos he is JLC, Damien because he refuses to accept impossible, Clarisse having followed her Mini Transat, Pip because she is what she is, Miranda likewise, Armel because he and Manuard dared to be different, Thomas Ruyant because he kicks ass .... and then all of them for being there, stopping us getting depressed in lockdown, and, with luck, realising their dreams.

OK?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

Just saying

SHC

Considering a major issue like one of the main structural components failing... BEFORE he even got to the Southern Ocean... he may well consider that foolhardy!

It’s totally a fine VG, I confess being cranky getting up and finding the entire thread preoccupied about philosophy of someone who isn’t even in the race anymore while positive interesting narratives can be had - how will the scow from M & Black Pepper fare? LinkedOut and Apivia are still soldering on. The race isn’t over for 31 others. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Snowden said:

Yes - Caffari/ Harayda did one of the L30 events - the RYA is running a selection / ranking for UK crews (not RORC)

OK, I know people who have raced them too, and therein lies the dilemma. Forced on them. And the whole RORC/RYA thing has a long and often toxic history. We lurch into important decisions because the 5 ring circus appears. More horror shows than successes down that path. World Sailing is so notoriously distant fro world sailing. How to change that? I am better at questions than answers, but answers only emerge if you ask the questions.

Anyway, better get back on topic, so can we end this "déviation" here?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

It’s totally a fine VG, I confess being cranky getting up and finding the entire thread preoccupied about philosophy of someone who isn’t even in the race anymore while positive interesting narratives can be had - how will the scow from M & Black Pepper fare? LinkedOut and Apivia are still soldering on. The race isn’t over for 31 others. 

Totally with you.

I have to say my biggest disappointment of the last few days has been Sam.  She looked poised to move way up in the rankings, was within sight of Louis Burton and now she is 11th, 170nm behind Burton and going slower than the top 10.  At this rate Isabelle will pass in 2 days.  So, kudos to Isabelle for keeping the hammer down while fixing her pushpit, but what's up with Sam?  

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, cms said:

I'm not offended, just being an Anarchist. Totally agree that the frogs have no antipathy towards the others. AT is a fellow Celt, so gutted to see him out, but equally impressed to see the MD of Corum fly down to Cape Verde to show Nico his solidarity. My loyalties in the race are many. Louis, Kevin and Maxime. locals and in the circle of friends, Sam for various reasons, personal and other, JLC cos he is JLC, Damien because he refuses to accept impossible, Clarisse having followed her Mini Transat, Pip because she is what she is, Miranda likewise, Armel because he and Manuard dared to be different, Thomas Ruyant because he kicks ass .... and then all of them for being there, stopping us getting depressed in lockdown, and, with luck, realising their dreams.

OK?

"Frogs Celts and Etonion Bankers". Anarchist or ass wipe? I'm undecided and unconcerned. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Buck Turgidson said:

"Frogs Celts and Etonion Bankers". Anarchist or ass wipe? I'm undecided and unconcerned. 

Love you too. Check your spelling though....

11 minutes ago, Roleur said:

I have to say my biggest disappointment of the last few days has been Sam.  She looked poised to move way up in the rankings, was within sight of Louis Burton and now she is 11th, 170nm behind Burton and going slower than the top 10.  At this rate Isabelle will pass in 2 days.  So, kudos to Isabelle for keeping the hammer down while fixing her pushpit, but what's up with Sam?  

She seems to be able to position that boat at the right place but then doesn’t seem to have a higher gear. 

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

She seems to be able to position that boat at the right place but then doesn’t seem to have a higher gear. 

That points of restrictions in sail plan, intentional or by a problem.

It is interesting that since AT "ceased racing" he keeps up pretty well with the other boats around him. He has lost a few miles, but those miles are negligible in comparison to those lost in the last week. He is also still on the tracker, not greyed out as happened with the other retired boats.

2 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

No, but my undertanding is that the L30 is shit. No doubt the boat decision will be very political, and the later they leave, the harder it will get to build a proper one design fleet.

The double wheels on that L30 really look gross ..

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

It is interesting that since AT "ceased racing" he keeps up pretty well with the other boats around him. He has lost a few miles, but those miles are negligible in comparison to those lost in the last week. He is also still on the tracker, not greyed out as happened with the other retired boats.

He's on starboard at the moment which means he is on the good rudder.  The other gybe is going to  be real slow.

3 hours ago, cortosam said:

Let's talk more on how good is Charlie Dalin rather than arguing endlessly why "the best sailor in the world who has been driving innovation in sailing just by himself" hasn't managed one more time to win the Vendée

He is very good, very very good, another Star in the circuit...for sure. But you should say that to Charal's coSkipper Pratt, Pedote, Amadeo, Destremau (and all of the skippers) in today's VG ENG live... today's word of mouth is AT abandon of the race (check the media or click play), maybe for sure tomorrow...

Sam is pumped, glad to see.

[Aside: Gave up scanning all the 24 "Onboard Video/ Vidéo du bord" vids dumped on YT today. Wrongly hought the English/French titles might indicate which ones could skip the 5 click CC program. There may be some gems in there]

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

Just saying

SHC

Would have great value for both teams performance tuning and big ROI on exposure 

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Are females as likely to push the risk envelope as hard as the males?  Certainly they will approach those decisions from a different perspective.  When endurance is just as important as speed, an interesting biological element.

5 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Just to keep the speculation bus going.  What is the consensus about Apivia current heading?  How soon 'till he gybes?

Vendee20.JPG

He’s going to get a big lefty as that low rolls by S of him so no reason to gybe before then

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Just to keep the speculation bus going.  What is the consensus about Apivia current heading?  How soon 'till he gybes?

Vendee20.JPG

He gybed not so long ago, new heading, 112.

starting run 2020-11-29 23:17:53.544632
APIVIA------->LAT:  -37.3463 LON:  10.80960, SPEED: 15.1, HEADING: 112, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:03:00
LINKED------->LAT:  -39.4701 LON:  4.262000, SPEED: 20.3, HEADING: 102, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:12:00
BOSS--------->LAT:  -39.1900 LON:  -6.46210, SPEED: 17.3, HEADING:  90, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:11:00
CAM---------->LAT:  -39.1962 LON:  3.316400, SPEED: 16.3, HEADING: 111, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:08:00
ARKEA-------->LAT:  -39.1669 LON:  1.771700, SPEED: 17.6, HEADING: 112, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:11:00
MAITRE------->LAT:  -39.1116 LON:  2.541200, SPEED: 18.9, HEADING: 108, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:05:00
INITIATIVE--->LAT:  -41.4081 LON:  -3.40950, SPEED:  8.9, HEADING:  73, TIME: 2020-11-29 22:14:00
BURTON------->LAT:  -42.2290 LON:  0.244600, SPEED: 15.4, HEADING: 114, TIME: 2020-11-29 21:39:00
PRB---------->LAT:  -39.6189 LON:  3.282900, SPEED: 18.5, HEADING:  94, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:11:00

https://www.windy.com/upload/5fc41e2eef522b001149eced?44.542,10.627,5,i:pressure

Code here

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:

APIVIA------->LAT:  -37.3463 LON:  10.80960, SPEED: 15.1, HEADING: 112, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:03:00
LINKED------->LAT:  -39.4701 LON:  4.262000, SPEED: 20.3, HEADING: 102, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:12:00
BOSS--------->LAT:  -39.1900 LON:  -6.46210, SPEED: 17.3, HEADING:  90, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:11:00
CAM---------->LAT:  -39.1962 LON:  3.316400, SPEED: 16.3, HEADING: 111, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:08:00
ARKEA-------->LAT:  -39.1669 LON:  1.771700, SPEED: 17.6, HEADING: 112, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:11:00
MAITRE------->LAT:  -39.1116 LON:  2.541200, SPEED: 18.9, HEADING: 108, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:05:00
INITIATIVE--->LAT:  -41.4081 LON:  -3.40950, SPEED:  8.9, HEADING:  73, TIME: 2020-11-29 22:14:00
BURTON------->LAT:  -42.2290 LON:  0.244600, SPEED: 15.4, HEADING: 114, TIME: 2020-11-29 21:39:00
PRB---------->LAT:  -39.6189 LON:  3.282900, SPEED: 18.5, HEADING:  94, TIME: 2020-11-29 23:11:00

https://www.windy.com/upload/5fc41e2eef522b001149eced?44.542,10.627,5,i:pressure

Code here

Schermata 2020-11-29 alle 23.25.41.png

22 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:

Code here

Interesting to see BOSS's speed with one rudder and Ruyant's speed on starboard tack w/the cutted foil...

2 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Ah yes,

But if you do :

1 alexthomsonracing.com

2 track the race

You don't see it, sure it wasn't there ?

Nope.

Just posting the image to show you

6 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Sounds like Sebastian Simon on Arkea Paprec is sailing without wind data?

Where did you see that ? He tried to repair in the Azores but failed, on his pare one afterward (not sure exactly where it is) now not at all ?

Sam slow? She explains the "little wipeouts" well: 

Article

My first real Southern Ocean night - in the conditions behind the front. Air temperature 10°C. I gybed just before Gough Island, in the clement zone close behind the front -25knt TWS - but rapidly the breeze built and the instability arrived. It felt a little bit close to Gough Island
for comfort so I furled the A7 in order to sail a clear enough course to pass safely to the South West of Gough.

My feeling was correct as rapidly I encountered the first big gust - 40 knots of wind. The sea state has built. When the breeze goes from 25 to 40 in the middle of the night for the first time, you get caught by a big surprise! So a little "wipe out" (thank goodness the A7 was already furled!) and Initiatives Coeur lay flat on her side with a nice cold wave breaking over her!

Ease all the sheets and back on our feet (that too is a scary manouver as you have to bear away but not too far so as to avoid a Chinese Gybe on the way out!)

So then the tricky bit is to find a trim and sail set-up for 22 to 42 knots of wind speed! That's not easy, when you are sailing solo and you need to rest a little and not stay all night in the cockpit with the sheets in your (cold) hands! It's a frustrating compromise with a lot of time "down speed" and other heart-palpitating moments of extreme acceleration down waves with a little too much wind.

Inevitably, I did a few more little wipeouts, but the night is over, nothing is broken and the average wind speed is starting to drop... later I should be able to deploy a bigger sail and get going a  bit
faster. The albatrosses that are gliding around in my wake are having fun! In the meantime, I am going to put a thicker pair of socks on because my feet are blocks of ice!

Bonne journee!

Sam / Initiativers-Coeur 

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20642/sam-davies-my-first-real-southern-ocean-night

• Like 5