• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

2 hours ago, dapainter said:

Anyone 100% not convinced Hugo Boss isn't coming up with a solution for another announcement? Sailing pretty quick for a 'safe and cautiously'.... Dreams of course are free!

My honest guess is that they want to see how the boat goes in the southern ocean, and might as well with the weather lined up on the gybe with the good foil.

I don't think they'd announce that they are out if they aren't out. Wishful thinking, though

I would think that 20knts that Alex is doing now will be his last little think about the boat and a burst of progress [his last hurrah]  before the inevitable swing up with the rotation on the breeze into Cape Town,  he has also got the Agulhas Current that comes down the eastside of the country at walking speed as a final lessor obstacle, its close to the coast then around East London and Port Elizabeth it snakes out and causes the sea to be a bit savage as it meets the roaring forties .....    not fun with reduced mobility

yl75...... that was a good read...thanks for that....but it makes me wonder how he will sleep,... with the 2nd weather vane down low and his course becomes downwind ...especially in the southern ocean.   wow sea sick for the first time,...Ive seen it a few times in crew and also long time skippers.... its a real shock for them as they had been impervious till then...

17 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Great explanation of how to jibe an imoca solo in the Southern Ocean on today’s live. Begins at around the 20 minute mark. This makes me appreciate all those jibes Dalin put in to get the lead and extend even more. What an effort that must have been. 

Thanks for that tip. 20 to 30 minutes for stacking and sail trimming according to Christopher Pratt. Max 5 jibe's a day for him.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, huey 2 said:

I would think that 20knts that Alex is doing now will be his last little think about the boat and a burst of progress [his last hurrah]  before the inevitable swing up with the rotation on the breeze into Cape Town,  he has also got the Agulhas Current that comes down the eastside of the country at walking speed as a final lessor obstacle, its close to the coast then around East London and Port Elizabeth it snakes out and causes the sea to be a bit savage as it meets the roaring forties .....    not fun with reduced mobility

Errr yea he is going to CPT.... It's a rudder that is fucked not his GPS... Don't think he needs to worry about EL and PE B)

Wading through a lot of heated post up thread, which are not necessarily adding much imho, I can't help but think: get out a bit more. Please. Or start another thread and replay the Napoleonic wars there.

• Like 9

littlechay possibly need to re read post...I was involving the sea state into his trip to cape town and the need to sit on one tack into  port  ... to minimise potential problems with quite rough conditions that eventuate when two systems meetimage.png.403ce0ea42bdfffcfa9f5062a27f4590.png

Armel  and the ridge....this is projected 24 hours ahead weather and his so called position now.....but if Sam had interesting weather because of island.  ....this could be interesting conundrum for Armel and the rest of his bunch

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 9.03.18 pm.png

And further back, it looks like Charal is following the track of the rest of the fleet West towards Brazil. It would have been nice if the weather allowed him to cut the corner a bit more, as I think there was some speculation up thread he might try to do (weather permitting).  But on the positive, he is really getting within striking distance of some of the other boats.  I think I heard on yesterday's live that he might start overtaking competitors within the week.  Looking forward to it, and hopefully to also seeing some cool videos of him flying in the SO!  

Weather update

Dalin is still holding on to the LP-zone, and had the highest boat speed of the top-10 boats; 20,6 kts and a high VMG. Ruyant, Escoffier and Le Cam are still within 300 nm distance. And clawed back a couple of NMs compared to the 04:00 schedule. The most western boats will get gobbled-up by the HP-zone moving east. According to ECMWF it will stop moving around Wednesday. And s second HP-zone comes rotating in to join the first. Then moving in between Capetown and the AEZ. That would effectively block the way for boats that have still to pass at that moment. The weather models only roughly agree on this longer time horizon. Including the next deep LP-zone projected to move from Brazil heading SE, which also will impact boats at the back of fleet. Could be a nice ride in between that LP-zone and the St Helena HP.

Pic 1 has the overview with clouds ECMWF for the big picture. Pic 2 the table. In short, not much change expected, and top-10 boats or so have later ETA's than projected yesterday.

Rougher sea state currently due to the wind, 4 meters for Dalin and even 5 meters for Burton. See pic 3. Thomson projected to have "bumpy" ride to Capetown for comfort. The others a "difficult" trip. Current is being taken into account, see the column in the routing table. The Agulhas Current can worsen the sea state generated by the wind. But this wil be above 40 south. Only Dalin is above that latitude.

Finally, some routing pics in pictures 4 to 8. Top-4 plus Cremer in the west. I won't post all, as this does not ad much.

Clouds ECWMF 301120 compressed.jpg

weather routing table 301120 v2.jpg

Sea state 301120 compressed.jpg

Dalin 301120.png

JLC 301120.png

Escoffier 301120.png

Burton 301120.png

Cremer 301120.png

• Like 7

Louis Burton is reporting here https://www.ouest-france.fr/vendee-globe/vendee-globe-a-bord-avec-louis-burton-j-ai-cru-que-j-allais-rentrer-sans-quille-au-cap-7067296 that it is really hard to go faster than 17/18 knots due to the seastate at the moment.

Before he gybed yesterday, he was managing higher speeds 20/22 knots and he came to a brutal stop. He thinks he probably had some sort of line in the keel and had to go in reverse to get rid of it. Got him quite scared!

He says he is going to stay south to hopefully catch up more.

• Like 5

For those interested, the Regadata plugin for Windy now has 3 day routing for all competitors. You just click on a boat and you can see its position in the future.

Kevin Saliou - https://twitter.com/kbsali - is working on being able to display routings for several boats at the same time.

Link to the pl ugin: http://windy.com/plugins/windy-plugin-regadata

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Herman said:

Weather update

Dalin is still holding on to the LP-zone, and had the highest boat speed of the top-10 boats; 20,6 kts and a high VMG. Ruyant, Escoffier and Le Cam are still within 300 nm distance ...

You might need to adjust your ice limit for your routing. It now runs quite a bit north of Crozet Islands.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Barons said:

Alex looks broken...

Poor guy. I can’t imagine the mental pain he is going through, and on top of it, he could probably use some rest. Kudos to him for getting this heart felt message out, and for his give it his all approach to the race and preparation. I hope he is able to get some good food and well deserved sleep in Cape Town, and enjoy time with his family. 

• Like 12
13 minutes ago, Alysun said:

That was hard to watch... 

Desjoyeux said on twitter that a spare rudder is 16kg. Well worth the weight to carry an extra me thinks so you're not out of the race on one strike.. 

Don't have any info on the nature of the damage, but from talk of having to disconnect the steering it's possible the damage wasn't just to the rudder but to the wider steering system. Guess we'll find out eventually. 

58 minutes ago, Barons said:

Alex looks broken...

Can't do anything but really feel for the guy. Was really in awe of how upbeat he was about the bow damage, so tough to see him so down. 

Doubt he knows himself what comes next. Anything else is speculation. 

• Like 4

There was some sort of discussion that it was caught in fishing gear. If it was just a light hit by rudder on something, it should have kicked up. If it was a stronger hit, it could have been rudder blade damage, and I don't believe that AT would be reckless enough to go out without spare, considering what's on stake for him in this race. I believe that hit has been hard enough to to mess up rudder blade and break off some mounting points, which cannot be easily repaired and can be classified as structural damage. 

But that's just my 2 cents. 

8 minutes ago, b3nharris said:

Don't have any info on the nature of the damage, but from talk of having to disconnect the steering it's possible the damage wasn't just to the rudder but to the wider steering system. Guess we'll find out eventually. 

Yes what desjoyaux also said (answering to a question about the weight)

2 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

For those interested, the Regadata plugin for Windy now has 3 day routing for all competitors. You just click on a boat and you can see its position in the future.

Kevin Saliou - https://twitter.com/kbsali - is working on being able to display routings for several boats at the same time.

Link to the pl ugin: http://windy.com/plugins/windy-plugin-regadata

Excellent. It lives! And Great Circle, who offered us the remora routing last time, is behind him too.

Last time that effort turned into tracker wars. Maybe this time the race organisers will manage better,

1984360577_ScreenShot2020-11-30at7_20_24AM.thumb.png.397e88b391a7267f9a67354e2a11ca5d.png

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Also looked like Video #1 for the 2024 campaign. 

I wish, but doubt it. Dreading the vid, or whatever medium they choose, where he decides. 

You must have been busy yesterday. I kept expecting you to throw german grenades into the thread's mud hole.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Poor guy. I can’t imagine the mental pain he is going through, and on top of it, he could probably use some rest. Kudos to him for getting this heart felt message out, and for his give it his all approach to the race and preparation. I hope he is able to get some good food and well deserved sleep in Cape Town, and enjoy time with his family. 

Hope is going to be back in 2024, very sad to see him totally like this and the bad luck he had breaking this rudder

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Weather update

Dalin is still holding on to the LP-zone, and had the highest boat speed of the top-10 boats; 20,6 kts and a high VMG.

Rougher sea state currently due to the wind, 4 meters for Dalin and even 5 meters for Burton. See pic 3. Thomson projected to have "bumpy" ride to Capetown for comfort. The others a "difficult" trip. Current is being taken into account, see the column in the routing table. The Agulhas Current can worsen the sea state generated by the wind. But this wil be above 40 south. Only Dalin is above that latitude.

Dalin 301120.png

Thanks again Herman, and for the check on current. "Difficult" is better than "messy" :lol:

Would like your speculation: Why might the squid plugin have Dalin jibe to the Cape, and OpenCPN recommends to avoid the jibe and stay heading SE?

37 minutes ago, stief said:

I wish, but doubt it. Dreading the vid, or whatever medium they choose, where he decides. 

You must have been busy yesterday. I kept expecting you to throw german grenades into the thread's mud hole.

He will be there in 24 but it will be a bloody lot harder. 

Others will have had an one more foiling experience edition than he.

Also he has a boat designed specifically for the SO Cape to Cape, yet that still hasn't had that real test.

These two things alone is pretty depressing thinking about. 

Now he is retired he is a Brit. :D

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, stief said:

Would like your speculation: Why might the squid plugin have Dalin jibe to the Cape, and OpenCPN recommends to avoid the jibe and stay heading SE?

OpenCPN is young, inexperienced and too gung ho .....silly bastard doesn't factor in the exhaustion of jibing away from the ice line all the time. :lol:

21 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks again Herman, and for the check on current. "Difficult" is better than "messy" :lol:

I saw that in Windy (cool feature).  When you more the c lock ahead it does look like if he stayed on the same tack he'd be getting rolled by the center of that low for a while and maybe the routing algorithms take wind force into account.  The gybe up then the later gybe back down keeps him on the edge of the strongest winds and for less time.

1 hour ago, Alysun said:

That was hard to watch... 

Desjoyeux said on twitter that a spare rudder is 16kg. Well worth the weight to carry an extra me thinks so you're not out of the race on one strike.. 

I remember Boris having one spare rudder strapped against the main bulkhead from one of the usual "show-us-your-boat" vids on YT

Forecast gets light in the SE Atlantic, all the way to the ice line in 3-4 days.  Anyone who hasn't made it to CoGH by then will likely see margins to those who made it grow drastically for a while.  It'll be important for Roura, Cremer, and Le Diraison to make that transition successfully.  Tripon seems unlikely to be able to make it, unless the forecast opens up for him a bit.  Seems likely that he'll fly for a couple more days and then run into a dead spot while the fleet gets away.

Probably good news, of sorts, for Beyou.  By the time he gets there, the wind will probably fill back in, while he will have made big gains on whoever got stuck.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Heartbreaking yes.

However also Video #1 for the 2024 campaign. 

I believe it too. Even if Brexit companies don't have funds, I still think that a French company is willing to sponsor him. They see him as their own guy. :lol:

For a while I thought Sam and Burton were joined at the hip and could pull around that northern bunch to get into the top 5.  Of late it seems that Burton found a gear and or is more comfortable sailing fast in higher seas.  I read about Sam's wipeouts, but that would not be for a full 24+ hour stretch.  What was revealing was how Isabelle is coming strongly from behind and if all things remain the same, pass her by tomorrow.

The consistency of speed makes me back away from systemic boat failure so is it playing the long game of attrition, caution, wrong sail plan, boat not able?  it would be great to see a woman in the top five and though I thought it would be Sam Davies, it almost looks like Isabelle may gain that spot if she can keep the hammer down.

Now that there are five foilers around Le Cam and roughly on the same track, will he be able to hold position or is this when the new boats start to show legs and he will not be able to hold onto even the top 10 by Australia.  Love so many boats so close at this point.  Makes it fascinating to watch.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Now that there are five foilers around Le Cam and roughly on the same track, will he be able to hold position or is this when the new boats start to show legs and he will not be able to hold onto even the top 10 by Australia.  Love so many boats so close at this point.  Makes it fascinating to watch.

It sounds like some of the top foilers are putting the brakes on a bit at the moment due to sea state, so JLC should be able to hold position until it flattens out?

36 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

OpenCPN is young, inexperienced and too gung ho .....silly bastard doesn't factor in the exhaustion of jibing away from the ice line all the time. :lol:

Time will tell if this is a good strategy or not. If you get the right winds and a shorter distance, well ...

2 hours ago, Marty6 said:

You might need to adjust your ice limit for your routing. It now runs quite a bit north of Crozet Islands.

Thanks for the heads-up, I will check the SI's.

1 hour ago, stief said:

Depends on the polars they use, and which forecast model for wind, waves and current. And in Open CPN I have set jibe time to the max 17 minutes. So at least 5 variables that could be different. But the fact is that Dalin continues SE, and is not jibing NE as the plugin suggests.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Barons said:

Alex looks broken...

This actually broke my heart. It makes me want to cry. I feel so sorry for him, I really wanted to see him win. Seeing such a high spirit mashed to a pulp like that is unbearable.

• Like 7

And one of the important reasons I think Dalin is going SE and not NE is because of the sea state. Which is up to 6 meters below South Africa. And he would be for some time in that mess there as he chases the LP. As the sea state builds up after the LP. Also Agulhas Current comes into play as he would be sailing more closer to the continent. That projected sea state he would be sailing through is worse than Burton mentionned earlier today (5 meters) and which was hampering getting maximum speed out of his boat. And is comparable to AT cutting through Theta AFAIK. So it could be that the Great Circle projection is better for polars, wind, current, but is not taking into account significant waves which more or less prevent sailing by humans there. Routing tools are great, but handle with care ;-)

• Like 4

PRB in trouble. Le Cam being diverted. Hope the problem is less immediate than reported and Kevin is able to divert to Cape Town - off the top of my head this would be the third time PRB have had major issues in this region and divert to Cape Town. 

• Like 1

Merde merde merde

Kevin Escoffier (PRB) Activates Distress Beacon. Jean Le Cam Alters Course To Assist

© Jean-Marie Liot / Alea 
Article

Kevin Escoffier, 40, who is racing in third place in the Vendée Globe solo non-stop around the world race, positioned some 550 nautical miles SW of Cape Town, has triggered his distress beacon. He was racing in a strong SW’ly air stream on starboard tack behind a weather front.
At 1346hrs (UTC), he managed to send a message to his shore team, explaining that he had an ingress of water into his boat. The rescue team (MRCC Cape Town and CROSS Griz Nez) is preparing an action plan in collaboration with his PRB shore team, with Jacques Caraës and the Vendée Globe Race Direction team. Jean Le Cam, the nearest competitor, has changed course to sail to the last position given by the boat when the beacon was triggered (40°55 S 9°18 E).
He is expected to reach the area at around 1600hrs UTC. More information to follow. 

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20681/kevin-escoffier-prb-activates-distress-beacon-jean-le-cam-alters-course-to-assist

"Ingress of water"

that is a very disturbing word to use.  I know what it means, but looked it up any way to be sure.  I would take this to mean he has/had water entering the boat which would indicate a puncture in the hull because if  it was a deck issue it could be closed off easier and not allow water constantly in.  Depending on rate had may not have had time to try and find/plug a puncture.

JLC was @ 20 nm behind and should be at his boat by now so let's hope we here news that PRB is still floating and whatever was causing "ingress" has been stopped.

added:  If JLC has to pick up Kevin, I guess that would mean he'd take him back to Cape Hope and if he did what does the RC do?  Note his longitude of the rescue and start his race time from there?

Edited by bucc5062
question
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Barons said:

Well that is F'd. At this rate, there will be no boats left by Tasmania. 

Sorry to hear about Kevin.... 

4 boats average retire by now. 7 in 2012, but please, expound with your infinite knowledge how you came up with that?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TPG said:

4 boats average retire by now. 7 in 2012, but please, expound with your infinite knowledge how you came up with that?

level of damage across the fleet multiplied by level of my sarcasm? dunno. not that I wish anyone a bad luck, but this is a bit concerning, at least for me. but maybe i'm exaggerating. 

1 minute ago, Barons said:

level of damage across the fleet multiplied by level of my sarcasm? dunno. not that I wish anyone a bad luck, but this is a bit concerning, at least for me. but maybe i'm exaggerating. 

You're exaggerating.

Significantly.

• Like 4
Just now, TPG said:

You're exaggerating.

Significantly.

At least Kevin and PRB is French so we wouldn't have another 3 pages of psychobabble from people who aren't even French about the philosophy of mini & figaro at avoiding hitting UFOs in the South Atlantic.

Hope the JLC pickup occurs promptly and without issue.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1
5 minutes ago, arr4ws said:

Retiring from the race is something , but losing a boat is on another level.

The lists available make no distinction. Come back when you've separated out boats that sunk vs boats that were just broken.

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

At least Kevin and PRB is French so we wouldn't have another 3 pages of psychobabble from people who aren't even French about the philosophy of mini & figaro at avoiding hitting UFOs in the South Atlantic.

Hope the JLC pickup occurs promptly and without issue.

We're apparently going to have an army of stupid people crying about how fragile the boats are though.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, TPG said:

We're apparently going to have an army of stupid people crying about how fragile the boats are though.

From the school of "nothing should ever break and shit never happens" - tuition discount with the school of "2015-2020" never happened and we're going to relitigate the merits of foiling.

• Like 3

Let's hope that JLC remembers the time Riou rescued him and doesn't damage yes we cam. Although if escoffier is in the life raft,  risks should be less. 

Something must have failed spectacularly for PRB to be abandoned quickly. Much more than a failed through hull fitting / valve 

Just now, Your Mom said:

Very fortunate that he had JLC one hour directly in his wake, that it was daylight hours, and that Cape Town isn't all that far away

Right. Might even be near where JLC was rescued by Riou

French skippers describe rescue from capsized boat in Vendee Globe race

Jan. 7, 2009

PARIS — In choppy seas, trapped inside his overturned boat for some 18 hours and taking in the freezing waters of the Atlantic, French skipper Jean Le Cam saw a rival sailor as his chance to survive.

Le Cam's boat, the MV Materiaux, had capsized early Tuesday about 200 nautical miles west of Cape Horn during the Vendee Globe solo around-the-world race.

He was saved in a daring rescue by competitor and countryman Vincent Riou.

Speaking by radio telephone with race organizers, who made the skippers' accounts of the rescue public, the two men appeared to be fatigued but in good spirits.

"I'm OK, like someone who just woke up 10 minutes ago and who needed to sleep," Le Cam was quoted as saying.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/sports/07iht-sail7.19163660.html

• Like 1