I doubt JLC cares that much about final placement - he’ll get redress of course regardless of how Kevin is safely transported (still pending confirmation he was actually recovered). But JLC is in the VG as a sailing competitor seaman - not some time record chasing cunt. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

The purported post doesn't even say he's been picked up. 

It does, believe me I am French.

The link provided by @stief says he will be picked up - they have changed it in the meantime... so no confirmation yet.

• Like 1

"Jean le Cam has arrived in the area and has seen Kevin in his life raft. He is under engine preparing to recover Escoffier. More info to come."

Vendee news site

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Herman said:

Weather update

Dalin is still holding on to the LP-zone, and had the highest boat speed of the top-10 boats; 20,6 kts and a high VMG. Ruyant, Escoffier and Le Cam are still within 300 nm distance. And clawed back a couple of NMs compared to the 04:00 schedule. The most western boats will get gobbled-up by the HP-zone moving east. According to ECMWF it will stop moving around Wednesday. And s second HP-zone comes rotating in to join the first. Then moving in between Capetown and the AEZ. That would effectively block the way for boats that have still to pass at that moment. The weather models only roughly agree on this longer time horizon. Including the next deep LP-zone projected to move from Brazil heading SE, which also will impact boats at the back of fleet. Could be a nice ride in between that LP-zone and the St Helena HP.

Pic 1 has the overview with clouds ECMWF for the big picture. Pic 2 the table. In short, not much change expected, and top-10 boats or so have later ETA's than projected yesterday.

Rougher sea state currently due to the wind, 4 meters for Dalin and even 5 meters for Burton. See pic 3. Thomson projected to have "bumpy" ride to Capetown for comfort. The others a "difficult" trip. Current is being taken into account, see the column in the routing table. The Agulhas Current can worsen the sea state generated by the wind. But this wil be above 40 south. Only Dalin is above that latitude.

Finally, some routing pics in pictures 4 to 8. Top-4 plus Cremer in the west. I won't post all, as this does not ad much.

Clouds ECWMF 301120 compressed.jpg

weather routing table 301120 v2.jpg

Sea state 301120 compressed.jpg

Dalin 301120.png

JLC 301120.png

Escoffier 301120.png

Burton 301120.png

Cremer 301120.png

Holy Shit @Herman. You put in a lot of work on these posts.  Thank you!

• Like 5

Vendee globe in 2020, that's what you get!

Charal damage

Alex damage (more important than the others, actually, but i am a fanboy)

PRB sunk (probably, not confirmed)

For sure, the south atlantic is coursed!

Now what?

Jokes apart, i guess it could have happened in much worst positions. At least they are "close" to cape town.

The last official word is still that JLC can see Kevin on the life raft and will use the engine to collect him. That was an hour ago.

Weather is not great. The forecast says wind 25 kts gusting 32 kts with 5m waves and 3m swell.
So chances are that they will take their time to get the recovery right. And then there are probably more pressing things than rushing to twitter with an update.

• Like 3
Just now, troll99 said:

and we have Frenchies here. A great forum unlike Muffy thinks

My only thought was the English version may come after, but those that understand French may be able to inform sooner.  I have no issue with language, but that I cannot read nor understand french so I wait to get an English version or when kind people interpret.  Just in case someone (like me) went to the site and saw 1 minute to go and the news started in French.

I can wait...sounds like JLC has things under control

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I doubt JLC cares that much about final placement - he’ll get redress of course regardless of how Kevin is safely transported (still pending confirmation he was actually recovered). But JLC is in the VG as a sailing competitor seaman - not some time record chasing cunt. 

I would be surprised if JLC wouldn't care if he would beat half of the foilers. To me at least his race so far is just incredible. I'll have a glass of red vine on him tonight

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

My only thought was the English version may come after, but those that understand French may be able to inform sooner.  I have no issue with language, but that I cannot read nor understand french so I wait to get an English version or when kind people interpret.  Just in case someone (like me) went to the site and saw 1 minute to go and the news started in French.

No updates in the Fr Live.

2 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

French live said still in progress, and to wait for some news on the social networks

1 minute ago, popo said:

French live said still in progress, and to wait for some news on the social networks

All the reliable sources say in progress - even the article posted says in progress and is basically rehashing PRB/VG official sources. 

Question, assuming sails down, can the engine in an IMOCA engine even push the boat into these conditions? I"m guessing no? So one shot at it, then if it's a miss, off you go, main back up, sail back upwind, etc?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Question, assuming sails down, can the engine in an IMOCA engine even push the boat into these conditions? I"m guessing no? So one shot at it, then if it's a miss, off you go, main back up, sail back upwind, etc?

From the Rule Book

(b) The “main” propulsion unit shall be installed such as to propel the boat and to meet or surpass the following performance standards at all times: - A traction load of 280 daN at a fixed point for at least 15 minutes, - A speed of 5,0 knots in any direction with an autonomy of at least 5 hours, These characteristics shall be capable of being checked at the finish of a race

No fair for Kevin and no fair for LeCam, (the older boat in front and also having to make rescue operations), that's the nature of this fuckin evil race (russian roulette), they are 600Nm from land, an helicopter from SAfrican coastguards could reach the area...?

PRB's sinking caused by a mayor leak or UFO collision ?

4 minutes ago, trimfast said:

From the Rule Book

(b) The “main” propulsion unit shall be installed such as to propel the boat and to meet or surpass the following performance standards at all times: - A traction load of 280 daN at a fixed point for at least 15 minutes, - A speed of 5,0 knots in any direction with an autonomy of at least 5 hours, These characteristics shall be capable of being checked at the finish of a race

assuming that 5 knots is in flat water in the harbor...

Remarkable good seamanship from Jean Le Cam.
29709161_Prbrescue.PNG.3bd5e53ee81125973d83deff4dea595c.PNG
It even might cost him his race.
Charal steaming along to catch up with the fleet.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1333391579126525953

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Better it being done by JLC in a proven older boat by an old pair of hands than a foiler that can’t get too close to a raft. 

Indeed!, a pinching sharp blade foiler in 5mts seas could do things even worse!

As stated above,  JLC is super capable to pull off a rescue of this nature, proven man in a proven boat.  And with southern hemisphere summer, they should still have a few hours daylight right now too I believe.  Fingers crossed all is going well!

2 minutes ago, Rafael said:

No fair for Kevin and no fair for LeCam, (the older boat in front and also having to make rescue operations), that's the nature of this fuckin evil race (russian roulette), they are 600Nm from land, an helicopter from SAfrican coastguards could reach the area...?

No rescue service operates a helicopter that can make an out and back rescue of 600nm (1200nm round trip). The U.S Coast Guard Dauphin can do about 300nm out and back (600nm round trip), with 20min on station and 45min mandatory IFR fuel reserves. These rescues pretty much always happen in IFR conditions and the coasties will cut it close in life threatening situations, I have heard of landings with 5min of fuel onboard but I also know they are really careful about that as losing a helicopter in the drink makes a difficult situation impossible.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Rafael said:

There is an underwater current that rises in that area and a pice of monolithic carbon, hooked in a fishing net pierced his hull in a weak point caused by some drunken English Irish boatbuilder who failed to correct the French architects build specs (metric, not imperial) when the skipper was pushing the boat beyond its design limits, which were never intended to fail.

This is the truth.

I have spoken.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, b3nharris said:

Can't do anything but really feel for the guy. Was really in awe of how upbeat he was about the bow damage, so tough to see him so down. 

Doubt he knows himself what comes next. Anything else is speculation. 

At least he still has clean dry spotless shirts for his shows... I do feel for the guy and it must be hard to keep the 'stiff upper lip' of British tradition at times like this.

Could be that it is simply the conditions which are making the manoeuvre hard for JLC. Engine problem quoted could just be what is discussed above. Engine unable to cope in the conditions?

1 minute ago, stief said:

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Google translate:

In the roaring 40ths, the Malouin Kevin Escoffier, 40, who triggered his distress beacon on Monday due to a water leak aboard his PRB monohull, is waiting in his life raft. Jean Le Cam is already in the area, Boris Herrmann arrives in reinforcement.

Vendée Globe.  Escoffier in his liferaft, Le Cam sur zone, Herrmann in reinforcement (Yann Riou /)

Kevin Escoffier (1) was in 3rd position in the Vendée Globe on the 22nd day of racing when he triggered his distress beacon (mayday). She was advancing on starboard tack behind a front in a sustained southwest flow. At 2:46 p.m. PST, he was able to send a message to his shore crew, explaining that there was water in the boat. Rescue services (CROSS de Gris-Nez, MRCC Cape Town) are set up in conjunction with the PRB shore team, Jacques Caraës and the Vendée Globe race management team.

In recent hours, conditions have been tough in the area with a southwesterly wind  , 23 to 30 knots and gusts to 40 knots and more. All, of course, in heavy seas.

To read  on the subjectLive mapping

Herrmann baffled his turn

Jean Le Cam, the closest competitor, was diverted to approach the last known position of the boat when the beacon was triggered (40 ° 55 South 9 ° 18 East). Arrived in the zone at 5 p.m. (HF), the oldest of the race unplugged his engine in order to perform the maneuver to recover the PRB skipper. But Le Cam would have a problem with its engine and would therefore not be maneuvering. German Boris Herrmann, who is 80 miles from the area, was in turn baffled.

Boris Hermann is said to be about 80 nautical miles away according to Le Telegramme, so Kevin looks like he is in for a long cold night.

Mais Le Cam aurait un problème avec son moteur et ne serait donc pas manœuvrant. L’Allemand Boris Herrmann, qui est 80 milles de la zone, a été dérouté à son tour.

Le Cam seems to have an engine issue and can't manoeuver. German skipper Boris Hermann, 80 nm away, was then asked to divert.

• Like 1

If I recall, Le Cam spent a couple of days sealed up in the watertight compartments of his capsized boat a few iterations ago (2012?).  Several hundred miles west of the horn and Riou diverted to pick him up and dropped him off in Ushuaia.

I can only marvel at the balls of steel it must take to go back out and race in the Southern Ocean again after something like that.  I would imagine that Le Cam is only too happy to pay it forward for Kevin.

3 minutes ago, samc99us said:

No rescue service operates a helicopter that can make an out and back rescue of 600nm (1200nm round trip). The U.S Coast Guard Dauphin can do about 300nm out and back (600nm round trip), with 20min on station and 45min mandatory IFR fuel reserves. These rescues pretty much always happen in IFR conditions and the coasties will cut it close in life threatening situations, I have heard of landings with 5min of fuel onboard but I also know they are really careful about that as losing a helicopter in the drink makes a difficult situation impossible.

Do we know if there is a Coast Guard vessel in the area ? ... looks like the shit hitted the fang also for JLC's boat engine... and now 3 boats involved (with hermann)...

2 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Believe SA Navy does CG duties - aviation equipment here

1 minute ago, Rafael said:

Do we know if there is a Coast Guard vessel in the area ? ... looks like the shit hitted the fang also for JLC's boat engine... and now 3 boats involved (with hermann)...

Probably too far away unless they are after illegal fishing...

I am hopeful the reason they didn't ask Bestaven or Simon to divert is that Kevin is safe in the raft and the wind angle is better/easier for Boris to get there?

Also I suspect they will wait for daylight to attempt a rescue in these conditions with a foiler.

4 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Boris Hermann is said to be about 80 nautical miles away according to Le Telegramme, so Kevin looks like he is in for a long cold night.

Le Cam seems to have an engine issue and can't manoeuver. German skipper Boris Hermann, 80 nm away, was then asked to divert.

Thank you for the translation.  My high school french is too long ago and limited to embarrassing me!

1 minute ago, Rafael said:
5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Only US can afford that. :D

The rest of the paupers rely on Navy for long distance. 

Maybe coronaking CHina too (!) :D

Good news is SA have frigates so good for 30kts

Bad news is they usually tied up at Durban 1,000nm further east or on fishing oversight duties somewhere.