• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Varan said:

Vendee update...

Louis Burton moves into third while KE drops to 6th. I guess there is another race going on, but I bet all eyes are on the race to recover KE and bring him home safe.

If this all goes tits up you're going to look incredibly callous talking this way

23 minutes ago, sully75 said:

For the record that's a heavily rebuilt DC-3 with turboprops (I believe).
I think it's one of these, although I don't see them listed as an operator.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basler_BT-67

It seems insane that he does not have some sort of sat phone in the raft?  Or does he?  I as a poor sailor had a Delorme with me at all times and ready to go over the side.  I'm sure his winch handles cost more.

Very scary.  I would imagine there's no point in searching in the dark, more chance of running him down than anything. 

Also rescuing someone when you have gigantic wings coming off your boat seems pretty complicated. 

The SAAF C-47TP's aren't Basler mods...

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/80-year-milestone-saaf-dakota.html

4 minutes ago, climenuts said:

Give it a rest, dude. They're using what they've got and they all know what they're doing.

Speculating and criticizing professional sailors on their survival equipment and acting like the bag of shit you got with your 4ktsb is the end all be all of survival equipment is fucking annoying.

Dude, you've got the wrong idea.

I have not criticized these sailors at all, just the opposite. What I do criticize is the wild speculation going on here.

But yes, I suppose it is fair to say that I would criticize the lack of inclusion of adequate equipment to effect a rescue - but since I do no know what equipment is stowed in the life raft, that criticism may not apply to this situation.

That is why I say that it is inconceivable to me that they would not have such equipment. 

20 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:
22 minutes ago, Thread Killer said:
26 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You started 'vessel to vessel' positional data.

"Do they really rely on a single short range PLB for tracking position?" 

Now you go 'vessel to satellite to terrestrial' online/device position.

"I think a certain amount of time lag is acceptable. My inReach generally has no more than a few  minutes lag,"

You know beer is not just for breakfast don't you?

I think you are mixing up who said what...

Nope... your words

17 minutes ago, Thread Killer said:

Yeah, I think you are. I never mentioned anything about using voice over satellite, that was someone else

While inReach does use the iridium network, it does not transmit voice.

"I never mentioned anything about using voice over satellite, that was someone else."

I didn't mention voice, only quoted 'your own words.' 

Another one who is pissed to the gills.  

I doubt HB is in any state to assist with maneuvering to pick up a MOB, but Alex's vessel is equipped with some pretty amazing cameras which include IR capability. He seems to be headed right for the problem area. He's pretty far away (380 miles?) but appears to be making all possible speed.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Thread Killer said:

Dude, you've got the wrong idea.

I have not criticized these sailors at all, just the opposite. What I do criticize is the wild speculation going on here.

But yes, I suppose it is fair to say that I would criticize the lack of inclusion of adequate equipment to effect a rescue - but since I do no know what equipment is stowed in the life raft, that criticism may not apply to this situation.

That is why I say that it is inconceivable to me that they would not have such equipment. 

You have now moved to the back tracking clueless cunt category. 

I think that they are just waiting for daylight...

Lifting a guy up from his liferaft alone by night in 5m swells... this is just asking for an accident, they are guys with a cool head who want to put all chances on their side thus they see 5 hours of wait in darkness a small price to payt! On top of this in big seas small diesel engine are not exactly super reliable so Clack-clack-clack probably spent half an hour re-priming his diesel and it is hard to keep an active watch while being under swearing at the "Putain de" engine that "never works" so he lost his opportunity for a rescue before darkness. The race organisers don't want to appear insensitive by communicating before the rescue is successful and on top of this they are scared of losing a man so send everybody on zone.

May be I am wrong... I just hope to be right for Kevin!

• Like 1

it has now been a few hours since this emergency started.  In that time Kevin was able to contact authorities and activate an EPIRB, JLC was able to come within close proximity and communicate that Keven was in a life raft (which would indicate his boat sank).  After losing sight the primary authorities redirected not one, but three boats inside 100 nm to assist Cam.

Dems da facts.

We folk sitting comfortable know no more really.  What we hope is that (1) Kevin is okay, still alive, and bouncing in a very uncomfortable life raft.  (2)  That three IMOCA 60s, ill equipped to perform a rescue are doing their damnest to find then maintain contact with Kevin till (3), come dawn and lessening WX effect a rescue where one of three boats will have the honor of hauling his ass back to Cape Town.

Planes are not facts.  Commercials vessels are at the moment not facts and other than AIS Sat posts, we really don't have real time understanding like those three skippers and the monitoring authorities.

Soon I need to sleep and when I wake tomorrow I hope this, Kevin is alive, he is on a boat heading towards CT.  That the race goes on, that either Sam gets her ass in gear or Isabelle rolls over her and keeps on trucking.  All I can do is done, which is support and hope.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Soon I need to sleep and when I wake tomorrow I hope this, Kevin is alive, he is on a boat heading towards CT.

He won't be heading toward Cape Town he will be heading towards Kerguelen islands or Australia!

1 minute ago, Panoramix said:

He won't be heading toward Cape Town he will be heading towards Kerguelen islands or Australia!

Ah...but you agree...he'll be on a boat.  As we all eventually realize, it is the journey, not the destination so if they take him to a Polynesian Island with topless dancers and rum drinks...he is on a boat safe.  Perhaps that would be his choice after all this ;-)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bucc5062 said:

Ah...but you agree...he'll be on a boat.  As we all eventually realize, it is the journey, not the destination so if they take him to a Polynesian Island with topless dancers and rum drinks...he is on a boat safe.  Perhaps that would be his choice after all this ;-)

I hope and I think he will...

40 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:
59 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:
1 hour ago, Thread Killer said:
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Now you go 'vessel to satellite to terrestrial' online/device position.

"I think a certain amount of time lag is acceptable. My inReach generally has no more than a few  minutes lag,"

I think you are mixing up who said what...

Nope... your words

56 minutes ago, Thread Killer said:

Yeah, I think you are. I never mentioned anything about using voice over satellite, that was someone else

While inReach does use the iridium network, it does not transmit voice.

"I never mentioned anything about using voice over satellite, that was someone else."

I didn't mention voice, only quoted 'your own words.' 

Another one who is pissed to the gills.  

39 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

lol.

err..... you quoted my words not his. step away from the glass.

"lol

err..... you quoted my words not his. step   away from  the glass."

If they they are YOUR words in bold in my post above that I quoted, then you must be one serious fucking ventriloquist.

So with your hand up Thread Killer's arse you can make him type those very SAME words below in HIS two posts below. WOW.

Maybe that is why he kept mentioning his "inReach"?

Was he referring to your 'reach around' and you fiddling with his 'joystick' not his 'keyboard'? 

Clueless clown.

IMG_20201201_105117.jpg

IMG_20201201_105315.jpg

29 minutes ago, Thread Killer said:
35 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You have now moved to the back tracking clueless cunt category. 

You are too skilled at hurling insults for me to compete with you. Congratulations on your victory.

That was helped when you didn't jump in and CORRECT clueless Buck saying I had quoted his words, not yours. 

That is bullshitting by omission, so you got off lightly.   

You two deserve each other. 

Someone surely noted this above, but last signal from PRB was 11 hours ago, and he has another 4 at least in the liferaft. That sucks in those conditions.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 7.03.05 PM.png

1 minute ago, Notquitecapnron said:

Yes and the 272 degrees confirms that. The turn looks sharp but it may be just a normal slow speed turn?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Now you go 'vessel to satellite to terrestrial' position via voice. 

eh?  This is like inception, a quote within a quote within a quote. He didn't mention voice. I did. 

Oh and Jack, you do realise that if you edit an old post which has already been quoted the quoted version isn't edited. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TheDragon said:

Just wish Jack and the rest of you trying to argue fruitlessly with him could give it a break or take it elsewhere.

+1

Freaking attention whore troll.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Someone surely noted this above, but last signal from PRB was 11 hours ago, and he has another 4 at least in the liferaft. That sucks in those conditions.

Hopefully it lost power rather than sank. 

8 minutes ago, Snowden said:

Hopefully it lost power rather than sank. 

With KE in a life raft would it not be preferable for PRB to have sank?

I know the area as actually massive but is there not a small chance of an afloat/just about afloat PRB getting in the way of the vessels trying to help with the recovery?

Imagine a collision between one of the on station vessels and a half sunk PRB; that would not be pretty.

Hopefully the above thought that they're waiting for light is correct and KE will be safely aboard another boat in the morning.

1 hour ago, phillysailor said:

I doubt HB is in any state to assist with maneuvering to pick up a MOB, but Alex's vessel is equipped with some pretty amazing cameras which include IR capability. He seems to be headed right for the problem area. He's pretty far away (380 miles?) but appears to be making all possible speed.

If this is true - they'll soon have a very well equipped SAR coordinator on station...

1 hour ago, phillysailor said:

Hopefully AT will pick up a ride and take to Cape Town

8 minutes ago, Notquitecapnron said:

Turning back again.  Hopeful.

Great to see the boats turning in a uniform circle "FINGERS CROSSED" and Hugo Boss heading in this direction so I would be surprised if doesn't render some assistance one rudder should be ok with sails lowered. 

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Great to see the boats turning in a uniform circle "FINGERS CROSSED" and Hugo Boss heading in this direction so I would be surprised if doesn't render some assistance one rudder should be ok with sails lowered. 

I get this idea that AT can "render assistance" because it is a cool story line, but facts...

AT is @ 340 nm from the incident.  He is currently (last sched) going at 15 kts with a HP overtaking, bat at best he'll get there by 22 hours and he has only one rudder.

Best case, another IMOCA plucks Keven from the sea dear god hopefully before 22 hours from now (shit load of time in a raft, em I right?) and whoever is the winner of the rescue prize then has to take Kevin either Cape Town or that Polynesian Island, but let's say it's CT.  Does said IMOCA boat meet AT and transfer Kevin...Maybe, but we do have another transfer in open ocean, or does said IMOCA boat get close enough that a SA SAR helicopter picks Kevin up and take him into CT and he meets AT with a beer and they both have a good cry...

The moment Kevin is back on plastic (re: fiberglass, carbon fiber blah blah blah) the idea of him switching to another boat that is limping along...it would sell in Hollywood, but not the best option in reality.  Pitch it, you might make millions...

Mean time, facts are the same and best moment is that Kevin is reacquired, a boat is working on getting him aboard within the next 6 hours because that is the better story.

• Like 4

I don't know much about sailing these boats or the Southern Ocean but how hard is it to sail upwind or even to maintain your ground there if it's blowing?  I kinda thought it was a one way ride more or less.  Can you make progress to windward in one of these boats if you facing big seas and wind?

5 minutes ago, Essex said:

Well we know Boris has a drone. Weather permitting could be another asset in the morning.

Interesting point, the drone.  Don't how much of an energy load extended use would be. They fuel constrained as well.

Just now, sully75 said:

I don't know much about sailing these boats or the Southern Ocean but how hard is it to sail upwind or even to maintain your ground there if it's blowing?  I kinda thought it was a one way ride more or less.  Can you make progress to windward in one of these boats if you facing big seas and wind?

Yes. Posted up thread, Golding sailed upwind in worse conditions to rescue Alex in 2008: https://www.yachtingworld.com/features/great-seamanship-a-dramatic-account-of-how-mike-golding-rescued-alex-thomson-in-the-southern-ocean-70475

4 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

I get this idea that AT can "render assistance" because it is a cool story line, but facts...

AT is @ 340 nm from the incident.  He is currently (last sched) going at 15 kts with a HP overtaking, bat at best he'll get there by 22 hours and he has only one rudder.

Best case, another IMOCA plucks Keven from the sea dear god hopefully before 22 hours from now (shit load of time in a raft, em I right?) and whoever is the winner of the rescue prize then has to take Kevin either Cape Town or that Polynesian Island, but let's say it's CT.  Does said IMOCA boat meet AT and transfer Kevin...Maybe, but we do have another transfer in open ocean, or does said IMOCA boat get close enough that a SA SAR helicopter picks Kevin up and take him into CT and he meets AT with a beer and they both have a good cry...

The moment Kevin is back on plastic (re: fiberglass, carbon fiber blah blah blah) the idea of him switching to another boat that is limping along...it would sell in Hollywood, but not the best option in reality.  Pitch it, you might make millions...

Mean time, facts are the same and best moment is that Kevin is reacquired, a boat is working on getting him aboard within the next 6 hours because that is the better story.

+1

Just now, PHIRKIN said:

Interesting point, the drone.  Don't how much of an energy load extended use would be. They fuel constrained as well.

Drone is virtually zero energy load to the boat. Problem is flight time, 10-15min max, more like 7min if its blowing 30kts, and rarely do you have great imagery in real-time from the drone. For reference, they are likely carrying DJI Maverick's or similar, these don't have advanced gyro-stabilized cameras with optical tracking on board, and the imagery we see from them is usually post-processed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chuso007 said:
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Welcome to the developing world. 

Last I heard was S.A.  was actually developing backwards.

Which SA :D

Hope you and all well in Vigo friend.

1 hour ago, Wess said:
1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Just wish Jack and the rest of you trying to argue fruitlessly with him could give it a break or take it elsewhere.

+1

Freaking attention whore troll.

My bad ....he hooked me up past the fucking sinker.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Cwinsor said:

What is the radius of the circle being depicted here?

There is currently about 12 NM between the north and south sides of the circle.  The two boats close together were less than 2 nautical miles apart as of 5 minutes ago.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Drone is virtually zero energy load to the boat. Problem is flight time, 10-15min max, more like 7min if its blowing 30kts, and rarely do you have great imagery in real-time from the drone. For reference, they are likely carrying DJI Maverick's or similar, these don't have advanced gyro-stabilized cameras with optical tracking on board, and the imagery we see from them is usually post-processed.

Excellent point that I had not considered.  So just as hard to see something useful as the old-fashioned way. Perhaps a detrimental distraction.

1 minute ago, samc99us said:

The DJI Mavic does have a 3 axis gyro stabilized gimbal - with optical tracking, it transmits live 1080P video when nearby, at a distance it is 720p. Range is advertised as about 7 miles, in practice I have found up to two miles to be reliable. Operating time is up to 30 minutes, 15 minutes in adverse conditions sounds reasonable.

I think Boris has a Phantom drone - which is even more capable.

Mean while, as we send good hope to Kevin, Isabelle has 2 kts on Sam and within 50 nm so could be a race in a race here.  The game continues.  This young lady seems to have a bone in her teeth and how will that impact Team Davies (I wonder).

(Not disrespecting Kevin's situation, but it is the VG and people are still racing and we all can multi-care)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

First light would be appearing now. Sun up in maybe half an hour. 

I may have messed up my math (it wouldn't be the first time).  I'm getting sunrise at 0346 UTC.  There should be a long twilight - but fully overcast.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

First light would be appearing now. Sun up in maybe half an hour. 

I've never had to rescue anyone in a seaway. But I've tried to find set line marker buoys and know it can be frustratingly near impossible at times. Let's hope the new light brings help for Kevin.

9 minutes ago, Notquitecapnron said:

Is it possible that Boris has been released and is back to racing?  On course.  Check rig loads and boat speed.

Link to AWA over the last 3 hrs. Shows on his track heading east. Cautious optimism? Wait another hour

https://exocet.cloud/grafana/d/bsbc_5MGz/malizia-public-dashboard?orgId=15&from=1606778855730&to=1606789655730&theme=dark&refresh=5s&viewPanel=18

8 minutes ago, Notquitecapnron said:

Is it possible that Boris has been released and is back to racing?  On course.  Check rig loads and boat speed.

Certainly looks like Boris is back sailing again with loads returning to the runners and the boat is moving at 20 knots in most recent data.  Not sure what time stamp Boris is using, is that UTC?  Interesting that this "raw" data comes automatically, it could be that good news is coming if he's actually released.

2 minutes ago, tama_manu said:

Certainly looks like Boris is back sailing again with loads returning to the runners and the boat is moving at 20 knots in most recent data.  Not sure what time stamp Boris is using, is that UTC?  Interesting that this "raw" data comes automatically, it could be that good news is coming if he's actually released.

Where are you seeing that? Not having much luck finding that data

3 hours ago, solosailor said:

Handheld radios also have GPS/DSC.....   in my personal ditch bag I carry that, PLB, strobe, AIS transmitter, signal mirror, flares, whistle.  In the main ditch bag is another whistle, strobe, VHF, manual fog horn, SOLAS flares, search light, Class 2 EPIRB.  

I recently bought a laser pointer from Ebay. It has remarkable range at night.  Doesn't replace anything else,  but I keep it in my pocket 2 handed racing,  as does my coskipper. We figure any attention is good attention in a mob situation. 

Did you notice Jean Le Cam was making no progress for quite a while before the announcement was made?  Or maybe I wasn't following it closely as far as the updates.  It felt like I saw him overlapping Escoffier's boat on the map for quite a while prior to the announcement.  Either they are tight lipped about it or I wasn't paying attention. 

3 minutes ago, roblynn said:

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. "

Kevin has been rescued.

HOORAY! Who picked him up?

At 2:18 am French time, the PRB team was informed of the rescue of Kevin Escoffier by Jean Le Cam. At the HQ since the beginning of the evening, the President of PRB, Jean-Jacques Laurent, assisted minute after minute with the race director Jacques Caraës and the entire race management team in all the rescue operations deployed for meet the skipper, forced to leave the edge around 14:46 French time.

He's on board with Jean!" We just saw him ”. A few quick words without more detail arose in the dead of night. A huge relief for the whole team, Kevin's family and all those involved in the Vendée Globe at sea, but also on land. The hours since Kevin's last message just before he urgently boarded his liferaft have been endless. Everything has been done to find the Malouin tossed about in his life raft on the border with the Indian Ocean, 600 miles southwest of the Cape of Good Hope.

Kevin has so far only been seen aboard YesWeCam! via a live video because Jean Le Cam had connected his video system during all the search operations. No one has yet been able to chat with the PRB skipper who just appeared smiling, bundled up in his survival suit alongside Jean Le Cam.

• Like 15