Jump to content

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, tama_manu said:

Here's a list of UFO (or OFNI or one identified object) incidents so far to help keep this straight:

  1. Nov 11, Charal turns around to repair at Vendee after UFO incident
  2. Nov 24, LinkedOut reports damaged foil, cuts section, was it UFO (Rouillard reported loud noise but not impact)?
  3. Nov 27, PRB breaks in half, was any UFO involved?
  4. Nov 28, Hugo Boss reports strike with fishing gear damaged rudder beyond repair
  5. Dec 2, Arkea-Paprec reports UFO damage to foil
  6. Dec 2, Initiatives – Coeur reports UFO damage

Only one or two boats abandoned so far due to damage, depending on how to count PRB, but incidents with Charal and Boss make a major change to the race. And the problem with LinkedOut is a big factor now too.  Now, I'll bet there's errors here, bring on the corrections SA.

Looks like a serious challenge to the race to me.  How can you send people out solo in fragile boats into a flotsam soup?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Cheryl Tiegs is 73. Lots of facial sun damage. DKK she ever had a gap between her tee

Definitely Cheryl. Met Lauren Hutton in Mexico years ago; shared a flight on a private plane back to LA; she asked me to read and give my comments on a script she had for a movie in which she would play a lawyer, since I was one; called me a few days later for my comments. Nice person. Really short and tiny. Large gap between teeth. 

Lauren Hutton Reminds Us That She Came to New York for the Acid

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, tama_manu said:

Here's a list of UFO (or OFNI or one identified object) incidents so far to help keep this straight:

  1. Nov 11, Charal turns around to repair at Vendee after UFO incident
  2. Nov 24, LinkedOut reports damaged foil, cuts section, was it UFO (Rouillard reported loud noise but not impact)?
  3. Nov 27, PRB breaks in half, was any UFO involved?
  4. Nov 28, Hugo Boss reports strike with fishing gear damaged rudder beyond repair
  5. Dec 2, Arkea-Paprec reports UFO damage to foil
  6. Dec 2, Initiatives – Coeur reports UFO damage

Only one or two boats abandoned so far due to damage, depending on how to count PRB, but incidents with Charal and Boss make a major change to the race. And the problem with LinkedOut is a big factor now too.  Now, I'll bet there's errors here, bring on the corrections SA.

Thanks. Those lists take time to get right, and are useful to help keep track. And, as you say, any errors get updated pretty quick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ant1 said:

The Vendee globe has always been a challenge like no other, and that's what makes it legendary... about 1/2 the starting fleet not making it to the finish because boats capsized, masts broke, rudders broke, riggings failed, they hit something, etc... is probably about the average...

It's still early in the race but so far officially only two 2 boats are out of the race, Corum and PRB, if you add AT that will be out the moment he gets outside assistance in Capetown, that will be 3 out of 33 starters... and no one got hurt...

Just wondering, is AT planning on continuing around the world?  I was assuming he was done sailing but hadn't thought of him repairing the boat and keeping going.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

It is interesting that these UFO collisions mostly happen in the SO. I would think there is less crap that far south, or do the currents push all our shit that way?

There's a great vid about the ice danger sailors used to face. The down under crowd will help (search "sunfish"). And watch for @littlechay's posts. He knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, tama_manu said:

Here's a list of UFO (or OFNI or one identified object) incidents so far to help keep this straight:

  1. Nov 11, Charal turns around to repair at Vendee after UFO incident
  2. Nov 24, LinkedOut reports damaged foil, cuts section, was it UFO (Rouillard reported loud noise but not impact)?
  3. Nov 27, PRB breaks in half, was any UFO involved?
  4. Nov 28, Hugo Boss reports strike with fishing gear damaged rudder beyond repair
  5. Dec 2, Arkea-Paprec reports UFO damage to foil
  6. Dec 2, Initiatives – Coeur reports UFO damage

Only one or two boats abandoned so far due to damage, depending on how to count PRB, but incidents with Charal and Boss make a major change to the race. And the problem with LinkedOut is a big factor now too.  Now, I'll bet there's errors here, bring on the corrections SA.

TOTAL SCORE (1st quarter) UFO 6 / VG 0 – (depressing race & game, amazing entertainment clusterfuck show :D

New race favourites, boats below 15knts (!) Make your bets & Pick your choice... :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, tama_manu said:

Here's a list of UFO (or OFNI or one identified object) incidents so far to help keep this straight:

  1. Nov 11, Charal turns around to repair at Vendee after UFO incident
  2. Nov 24, LinkedOut reports damaged foil, cuts section, was it UFO (Rouillard reported loud noise but not impact)?
  3. Nov 27, PRB breaks in half, was any UFO involved?
  4. Nov 28, Hugo Boss reports strike with fishing gear damaged rudder beyond repair
  5. Dec 2, Arkea-Paprec reports UFO damage to foil
  6. Dec 2, Initiatives – Coeur reports UFO damage

Only one or two boats abandoned so far due to damage, depending on how to count PRB, but incidents with Charal and Boss make a major change to the race. And the problem with LinkedOut is a big factor now too.  Now, I'll bet there's errors here, bring on the corrections SA.

There’s actually been more of you count all the times skippers have caught fishing gear and other flotsam so far.  I know a few skippers  including AT and JB caught stuff early on.  It’s definitely sad, frustrating and scary all at the same time.  Seems that the next most important development will be highly effective collision avoidance... meaning 99% effective at identifying and effectively steering away from UFOs.  What exists now clearly doesn’t work well enough for these skippers to have confidence in the technology as it stands. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rafael said:

TOTAL SCORE (1st quarter) UFO 6 / VG 0 – (depressing race & game, amazing entertainment clusterfuck show :D

New race favourites, boats below 15knts (!) Make your bets & Pick your choice... :lol:

Would be funny that at the end we see UFO 33 - VG 0 

Bowling Strike GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zonker said:

Logs are pretty pervasive. I've hit more of them than whales. But my point is you can't just say "most probably it was a whale". It's a total guess as to what he hit. 

Up in your neck of the wood perhaps. Not down there. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

TOTAL SCORE (1st quarter) UFO 6 / VG 0 – (depressing race & game, amazing entertainment clusterfuck show :D

New race favourites, boats below 15knts (!) Make your bets & Pick your choice... 

8 minutes ago, troll99 said:

Would be funny that at the end we see UFO 33 - VG 0

Someone agrees and officialy approves these numbers (!!) :lol::lol:

gettyimages-805307028-612x612.jpg.c4f2470abe01d75d3e6405babafdd8ed.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Miffy said:

There’s the issue of repatriation. Most deployments down south there are seasonal and unless Kevin wants to spent the south hemisphere summer as a guest of the overseas French fishing or scientific community... covid also limits his options and probably complicates connecting flights. 

Maybe he could join one of those UTuber cruisers and become a celebrity outside France. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the speeds these boats are going it could also be large sunfish or sharks that they are hitting, both solid enough to surely damage a foil or rudder at 20 knots. I don't see any way to avoid those.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, eliboat said:

Seems that the next most important development will be highly effective collision avoidance... meaning 99% effective at identifying and effectively steering away from UFOs.

I think you have to think active defence system - little mini torpedoes that launch at the last second....just like the active systems they are fitting on tanks now to destroy anti-tank missiles. ;)

13 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Up in your neck of the wood perhaps. Not down there.

Never seen any logs in the water around NZ?  I've heard there are trees there. As we sailed past any big river mouth (Indonesia/Amazon/Columbia come to mind) there were always trees floating by, some with fresh foilage attached. And came across lots of logs in the water, including off the coast of Mozambique where the Agulhas current would sweep them southward.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Next time around, they’ll all have drones in the air full time (like gliders, not quads). So they can scout way ahead (like 20 miles) or the night’s path for growlers during daylight. Local weather is a bonus. 
In 8 years, the air drones will drop swimming drones that will shadow every whale in the course. 
Kickstarter anyone?

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

At the speeds these boats are going it could also be large sunfish or sharks that they are hitting, both solid enough to surely damage a foil or rudder at 20 knots. I don't see any way to avoid those.

Hitting sunfish is serious, they can be huge and lounge around on the surface.  I've seen them and may have hit one at night once...boat slowed way down; 12kts to around nearly stopped, then took off again....will never know for sure what it was.  However Brad Van Lieu hit one in the 02/03 Around and described the results to me.  It didn't sound pretty.

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

He gives me nightmares.

Idem :D ... but C'mon fella, your mind and ideas seem very well protected... :)

5 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Next time around, they’ll all have drones in the air full time (like gliders, not quads). So they can scout way ahead (like 20 miles) or the night’s path for growlers during daylight. Local weather is a bonus. 
In 8 years, the air drones will drop swimming drones that will shadow every whale in the course. 
Kickstarter anyone?

Drones the new tech solution yep of course, and stainless steel metal armed to the death vessels to destroy the upcoming obstacles (natural or artificial who cares)... it has allready been filmed for the big screen...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its going to be the story of the tortoise vs the hare, the fast boats are breaking and the slower ones might have a better chance of finishing with less in the water to break.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tama_manu said:

Here's a list of UFO (or OFNI or one identified object) incidents so far to help keep this straight:

  1. Nov 11, Charal turns around to repair at Vendee after UFO incident
  2. Nov 24, LinkedOut reports damaged foil, cuts section, was it UFO (Rouillard reported loud noise but not impact)?
  3. Nov 27, PRB breaks in half, was any UFO involved?
  4. Nov 28, Hugo Boss reports strike with fishing gear damaged rudder beyond repair
  5. Dec 2, Arkea-Paprec reports UFO damage to foil
  6. Dec 2, Initiatives – Coeur reports UFO damage

Only one or two boats abandoned so far due to damage, depending on how to count PRB, but incidents with Charal and Boss make a major change to the race. And the problem with LinkedOut is a big factor now too.  Now, I'll bet there's errors here, bring on the corrections SA.

The damage to LinkedOut's foil sounded more structural (overloaded) than hitting something. Can't be sure, but here are a few things to note:

1) Anytime you hit something with a carbon foil in the water (daggerboard/foil, rudder), there is trailing edge damage to the foil. Basically the foils look like what we see in Arkea-Paprec's video, with major damage to the trailing edge where it exits the lower bearing. I know, as it seems to me to be happening weekly, about the same rate as the VG skippers are finding objects...difference is I am close to shore and a short drive home to the composites shop...I've been chocking it up to 2020, but there is definitely more debris in the water than ever before.

2) Usually there is some sort of impact damage to the outboard leading edge of the foil, but not always as this is fairly blunt and the impact force sent up the foil.

All in all, its a total shame as it really is luck of the draw as to who hits what and when.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haji said:

Hitting sunfish is serious, they can be huge and lounge around on the surface.  I've seen them and may have hit one at night once...boat slowed way down; 12kts to around nearly stopped, then took off again....will never know for sure what it was.  However Brad Van Lieu hit one in the 02/03 Around and described the results to me.  It didn't sound pretty.

They can be really huge indeed, very bony and stiff with low reaction metabolism and no big tail for a quick response... and they really like to sunbathe and chill on the surface yep... As you allready know with your mileage (big kudos from me by the way, big fan of your past voyages and people that chase their dreams). Spermwhales have been a big actor in these accidents too, there is a long list of natural menaces for the high speed sailing world, but they are natural and beautiful not artificial and horrendous (that is what is more depressing for the one who subscribes), those natural menaces live in the blue, they exist before us and will remain there (hopefully).

(PD. Tried your links in signature but they don't work... PD2. Play and love the guitar too, if you ever come to Spain we could make a pretty interesting & cool jam session :))

Back to the race (  )

Salud!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Haji said:

Hitting sunfish is serious, they can be huge and lounge around on the surface.  I've seen them and may have hit one at night once...boat slowed way down; 12kts to around nearly stopped, then took off again....will never know for sure what it was.  However Brad Van Lieu hit one in the 02/03 Around and described the results to me.  It didn't sound pretty.

Hit a sunfish at night a couple of years ago at night.  Going about 10-11 kts.  Almost stopped us on a 55’ boat.  Definitely not trivial. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:
3 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

JLC's rescue of Kevin made it into the New York Times.  Very cool. 

 

Why bother? Yankees don't believe in round the world races. :D

Strange that but true and this I'm pretty sure their VG 'alumnus' impressive if not in number.

- Mile Plant on Duracell in first edition of this race but DSQ for outside assistance in NZ. At that time he of only a handful of 3 times around alone non stop circumnavigators. Died tragically getting Coyote to his second VG in 92.

- Bruce Schwab on Ocean Planet first American to finish in 2004 edition. Skinny timber boat of cedar/foam composite, carbon cockpit and cabin top with sorta unstayed carbon rig. Great read here  "Bruce Schwab on a Tightrope” in Wooden Boat.

- The third musketeer Rich Wilson twice, first in 2009, last time in 2016 edition and oldest at 66 placing 13th I think.  

All three were tight budget passionate campaigners.

@Haji tells me Bruce had fixation with radar as he was scared of the dark. :lol:

IMG_20201203_122325.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

It's in French.

Apologies--I see now I misread the rest of your post. If you do find a publicly available transcript of sailing podcasts, would appreciate a heads-up. I've had no luck in the last month. Maybe sometime Google will do for audio what it does with the CC and transcript options in video.  Re T&S International edition (good,) it's not just a vetted translation of the FR. Luckily, the email has a link to the online version, which has a handy auto-translate button for the articles not in the International Edition. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rafael said:

They can be really huge indeed, very bony and stiff with low reaction metabolism and no big tail for a quick response... and they really like to sunbathe and chill on the surface yep... As you allready know with your mileage (big kudos from me by the way, big fan of your past voyages and people that chase their dreams). Spermwhales have been a big actor in these accidents too, there is a long list of natural menaces for the high speed sailing world, but they are natural and beautiful not artificial and horrendous (that is what is more depressing for the one who subscribes), those natural menaces live in the blue, they exist before us and will remain there (hopefully).

(PD. Tried your links in signature but they don't work... PD2. Play and love the guitar too, if you ever come to Spain we could make a pretty interesting & cool jam session :))

Back to the race (  )

Salud!

Thanks for the reminder to fix my signature. I kept forgetting to do that...

I have a few guitar tunes on youtube but I need to replace some of them...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

https://nyti.ms/2JBV1pK

JLC's rescue of Kevin made it into the New York Times.  Very cool. 

Some nice quotes from KE and JLC in the article.  Also, the article says that KE and JLC have not yet decided where to drop off KE, but suggests that (as mentioned up thread) a French Navy Ship at the Kerguelen Islands is a likely option.

 

Sorry if this has been posted already - President Macron calls up le Cam and Escoffier!  Brilliant.  Only in France - love it!

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Haji said:

Thanks for the reminder to fix my signature. I kept forgetting to do that...

I have a few guitar tunes on youtube but I need to replace some of them...

Saw and heard them!... ok.png.c4ffc1acb9fd0b00c0a8781c3233e940.png like the melodies and the fingerpick style, and the tuning... I've played in Open G for blues and Open C for ledZep acoustic style type, now I'm more into flamenco, but very complicated cause the fingernails must be perfect ;) and also almost no time..

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Sorry if this has been posted already - President Macron calls up le Cam and Escoffier!  Brilliant.  Only in France - love it!

 

JLC & Kevin are more popular than Macron and it is basically free benefit to the French Republic 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ivansh said:

So did Burton make a mistake going so far south? He's going 15 with 30knots of breeze...

Had to gybe north east sometime. Breeze up the arse at the back of the low and slowing him down. Other two similiar but breeze more west up higher where they are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Sorry if this has been posted already - President Macron calls up le Cam and Escoffier!  Brilliant.  Only in France - love it!

 

Did JLC just tell Macron to get off his arse and get a French destroyer to quickly come so he can kick this hitchhiker off his boat???

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Did JLC just tell Macron to get off his arse and get a French destroyer to quickly come so he can kick this hitchhiker off his boat???

Probably.  I only listened to the beginning part of it quickly, but the person who originally posted it, where I first saw it, said it was a funny exchange.  Will have to watch the whole thing now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tama_manu said:

Here's a list of UFO (or OFNI or one identified object) incidents so far to help keep this straight:

  1. Nov 11, Charal turns around to repair at Vendee after UFO incident
  2. Nov 24, LinkedOut reports damaged foil, cuts section, was it UFO (Rouillard reported loud noise but not impact)?
  3. Nov 27, PRB breaks in half, was any UFO involved?
  4. Nov 28, Hugo Boss reports strike with fishing gear damaged rudder beyond repair
  5. Dec 2, Arkea-Paprec reports UFO damage to foil
  6. Dec 2, Initiatives – Coeur reports UFO damage

Only one or two boats abandoned so far due to damage, depending on how to count PRB, but incidents with Charal and Boss make a major change to the race. And the problem with LinkedOut is a big factor now too.  Now, I'll bet there's errors here, bring on the corrections SA.

Anyone knows if these boats are equipped with Oscar, the anti collisions detection system? Wondering if it really works

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rafael said:

Spermwhales have been a big actor in these accidents too, there is a long list of natural menaces for the high speed sailing world, but they are natural and beautiful not artificial and horrendous (that is what is more depressing for the one who subscribes), those natural menaces live in the blue, they exist before us and will remain there (hopefully).

"... they are natural and beautiful not artificial and horrendous..."

Agree. Humpbacks, Sperm Whales etc also have reasonably defined migration paths going south to Antartica now if not already there and off the race course. 

However Orcas don't smile...they sort of sneer ....and are known to go weird like this in Nth Hemisphere summer just gone. 

Scientists baffled by Orcas ramming sailing boats near Spain and Portugal

I have had Orcas in number cross my path in daylight which is very unsettling due to their speed.

However a pod of the fuckers doing this I would be shitting my pants big time.

"Clack-clack-clack......here is a killer whale thrashing around in my cockpit and it looks very hungry."

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JeronimoII said:

Anyone knows if these boats are equipped with Oscar, the anti collisions detection system? Wondering if it really works

18 boats equipped, says VGsite, (3 with whale pingers), but doesn't list them

4 named (2 with testaments) by  SailWorld. All say it's still in development

1. Maxime Sorel, V&B Mayenne
2. Boris Hermann, Seaexplorer - Yacht Club de Monaco
3. Kévin Escoffier, PRB
4. Samantha Davies, Initiatives Cœur

5. Alex Thomson Hugo Boss

6. -> 18?

So 3 of the 5 so far on the list. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Humpbacks, Sperm Whales etc have reasonably defined migration paths going south to Antartica now if not already there and off the race course. 

However Orcas are known to go weird like this in Nth Hemisphere summer just gone. 

Scientists baffled by Orcas ramming sailing boats near Spain and Portugal

I have had Orcas in number cross my path which is very unsettling due to their speed. 

However a pod of the fuckers doing this I would be shitting my pants big time.

There have been several attacks by estimated 4 herds (15 orcas or so) to the rudders of different sailing boats reported in the last months in Costa da Morte NW Spain and Portugal, there has also been even restricted areas for vessels less than 15.mts long by this cause. Scientists are quite confused and have no answer. Different theories are they are playing with them, hunting practice for the youngs, also maybe somekind of possible vengance and also the decreasing numbers in their food chain... One thing is quite certain, they are very very intelligent creatures... In the Gibraltar Strait, resident herds attack the giant bluefin tuna hooked by fisherman (very easy tasty meal) :) Mr D. Attenborough and the BBC explain it much much better than me :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

"... they are natural and beautiful not artificial and horrendous..."

Agree. Humpbacks, Sperm Whales etc also have reasonably defined migration paths going south to Antartica now if not already there and off the race course. 

However Orcas don't smile...they sort of sneer ....and are known to go weird like this in Nth Hemisphere summer just gone. 

Scientists baffled by Orcas ramming sailing boats near Spain and Portugal

I have had Orcas in number cross my path in daylight which is very unsettling due to their speed.

However a pod of the fuckers doing this I would be shitting my pants big time.

"Clack-clack-clack......here is a killer whale thrashing around in my cockpit and it looks very hungry."

 

 

 

Yup, Killer whales are attacking their foils.  First, they swim well ahead of them, then either stop or swim back at the foils and smash into them killing themselves but also breaking foils.  Kamikaze whales!

 

Good call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, stief said:

18 boats equipped, says VGsite, (3 with whale pingers), but doesn't list them

4 named (2 with testaments) by  SailWorld. All say it's still in development

1. Maxime Sorel, V&B Mayenne
2. Boris Hermann, Seaexplorer - Yacht Club de Monaco
3. Kévin Escoffier, PRB
4. Samantha Davies, Initiatives Cœur

5. Alex Thomson Hugo Boss

6. -> 18?

So 3 of the 5 so far on the list. 

Vid linky courtesy Herman

Description operation from 2.45

As UFO and sea state false alarm image data base grows so does accuracy and reliability.

From 5.00 Herrmann has his linked to his AP. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Le Cam booking along at 17+ in 6th place got me thinking (oh oh) about what a great opportunity this is for Escoffier, watching a master do his thing 24/7. You cannot buy that kind of training. All the little nuisances, rig checks, weather routing, sleep and meal patterns, ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Gabart, Peyton, Le Cleach, Lipinski, Riou, and a bunch of other pros are doing it, and many of them are taking it seriously and doing well.  Alberto Bona is the leader among "certified" participants

Loick Peyron, or his team, is up my arse since days. Also seen team Gabart in the vincinty all the time. Makes the virtual real fun.

I would also say that the polars are in the region of the 2016 foilers with the described benefits for the virtual sailors: no currents, no stress about breaking anything ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The container collapse on the boxship ONE Apus is poised to become one of the largest recent incidents. The owners and managers of the ship are now reporting that the extent of the lost and damaged containers could exceed 1,900 boxes with possibly 40 transporting dangerous goods. Fully loaded the Apus has a capacity of 14,000 TEU.

Yesterday, NYK Shipmanagement reported on behalf of Chidori Ship Holding that the 138,611 DWT vessel had suffered container collapse mid-Pacific during a voyage from Yantian, China bound for Long Beach, California. The Apus, which is operated as part of the Ocean Network Express (ONE), was approximately 1,600 nautical miles northwest of Hawaii when it encountered a violent storm cell that produced gale-force winds and large swells. The vessel rolled heavily in the storm resulting in the container collapse.

They reported that the Apus had diverted from its course and today confirmed that as AIS data showed yesterday that the ship has reversed course heading in a westerly direction. The managers said that they were seeking “a suitable port to right unstable containers, assess any damages, and determine the exact numbers of containers lost.” The AIS data now indicates that the Apus is heading towards Yokohama due to arrive on December 7, while yesterday it indicated Kobe.

“Our focus remains on getting the ship to a safe port to ensure the ongoing safety of the crew, the vessel, and the cargo on board,” the companies said in their statement. They also reported that a notification was sent to the JRCC in Honolulu and Guam with maritime navigational warnings subsequently broadcast. They continue to promise that full investigation will be conducted into the incident.

The Apus is a new containership having been delivered in April of 2019 as the sixth in a series of seven ships being built for ONE at the Kure Shipyard of Japan Marine United Corporation. Measuring 1,194 feet in length, she employs a hull form that minimizes the engine-room space to improve cargo-loading efficiency and the latest safety and navigational technology.

This incident is the second recent container collapse experienced aboard one of the vessels of the network. On October 30, a sister ship, the ONE Aquila also suffered a collapse during heavy weather in the Pacific. The company did not announce the number of containers lost or damaged, but that vessel diverted to Tacoma, Washington, where she spent nearly a week undergoing a survey and offloading damaged boxes before proceeding to Long Beach.

A loss or damage of nearly 2,000 containers would rank among the largest incidents the industry has experienced without the loss of a vessel. The World Shipping Council in its 2020 report on containers lost at sea said the yearly total was declining. In the most recent three-year period, they reported the average was 779 containers lost down by nearly half from the average of 1,390 lost in the three prior years.  Among the most significant incidents was 4,293 containers in 2013 when the MOL Comfort was lost and approximately 900 containers in 2011 when the Rena grounded.

Weather is considered to be one of the most frequent factors contributing to container damage or loss overboard during a voyage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, samc99us said:

 

All in all, its a total shame as it really is luck of the draw as to who hits what and when.

like they say, a 'game changer', literally. (just what kind of a competition is this?)

'Humanity is waging war on nature. This is suicidal' Antonio Guteress

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When the fleet first got into the trough up by TS Theta Sam dropped this vid and she seemed uncomfortable with the boat motion in the seas. Found it notable at the time given her experience in doing these races...

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Another UFO.

That's now #7 I think?

6 since 24 November..LinkedOut?

So on average one every 36 hours.

An 'Actuary' can probably come up with "risk" curve according to fleet position.

Closer to the front theoretically in UFO danger postcodes like here (west east continuous globe circling current) you are better to be leading or not?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Another UFO.

That's now #7 I think?

6 since 24 November..LinkedOut?

So on average one every 36 hours.

My personal opinion, most likely caused by the strong Agulhas Current (with all the debris dragged from Mozambique channel and the african coast) + marine wildlife abundance (a very danger mined zone and not the only one of course)

image.png.c98f9f58f8b008904f60c2f76e39e1b9.png

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Varan said:

Watching Le Cam booking along at 17+ in 6th place got me thinking (oh oh) about what a great opportunity this is for Escoffier, watching a master do his thing 24/7. You cannot buy that kind of training. All the little nuisances, rig checks, weather routing, sleep and meal patterns, ... 

....OR......

This watching.

Watching for UFO's JLC has strapped Kevin to the pulpit wearing a diving mask and snorkel. 

Kevin is not happy. :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, adrianl said:

The container collapse on the boxship ONE Apus is poised to become one of the largest recent incidents. The owners and managers of the ship are now reporting that the extent of the lost and damaged containers could exceed 1,900 boxes with possibly 40 transporting dangerous goods. Fully loaded the Apus has a capacity of 14,000 TEU.

Yesterday, NYK Shipmanagement reported on behalf of Chidori Ship Holding that the 138,611 DWT vessel had suffered container collapse mid-Pacific during a voyage from Yantian, China bound for Long Beach, California. The Apus, which is operated as part of the Ocean Network Express (ONE), was approximately 1,600 nautical miles northwest of Hawaii when it encountered a violent storm cell that produced gale-force winds and large swells. The vessel rolled heavily in the storm resulting in the container collapse.

They reported that the Apus had diverted from its course and today confirmed that as AIS data showed yesterday that the ship has reversed course heading in a westerly direction. The managers said that they were seeking “a suitable port to right unstable containers, assess any damages, and determine the exact numbers of containers lost.” The AIS data now indicates that the Apus is heading towards Yokohama due to arrive on December 7, while yesterday it indicated Kobe.

“Our focus remains on getting the ship to a safe port to ensure the ongoing safety of the crew, the vessel, and the cargo on board,” the companies said in their statement. They also reported that a notification was sent to the JRCC in Honolulu and Guam with maritime navigational warnings subsequently broadcast. They continue to promise that full investigation will be conducted into the incident.

The Apus is a new containership having been delivered in April of 2019 as the sixth in a series of seven ships being built for ONE at the Kure Shipyard of Japan Marine United Corporation. Measuring 1,194 feet in length, she employs a hull form that minimizes the engine-room space to improve cargo-loading efficiency and the latest safety and navigational technology.

This incident is the second recent container collapse experienced aboard one of the vessels of the network. On October 30, a sister ship, the ONE Aquila also suffered a collapse during heavy weather in the Pacific. The company did not announce the number of containers lost or damaged, but that vessel diverted to Tacoma, Washington, where she spent nearly a week undergoing a survey and offloading damaged boxes before proceeding to Long Beach.

A loss or damage of nearly 2,000 containers would rank among the largest incidents the industry has experienced without the loss of a vessel. The World Shipping Council in its 2020 report on containers lost at sea said the yearly total was declining. In the most recent three-year period, they reported the average was 779 containers lost down by nearly half from the average of 1,390 lost in the three prior years.  Among the most significant incidents was 4,293 containers in 2013 when the MOL Comfort was lost and approximately 900 containers in 2011 when the Rena grounded.

Weather is considered to be one of the most frequent factors contributing to container damage or loss overboard during a voyage.

These figures absolutely horrify the fuck out of me..... Completely unacceptable in this day and age and considering what each empty box is worth let alone a full one, why is there no GPS locator assigned to each one so at least we know if they are floating or gone...... 
Is there a world body to answer to ....When in international waters who punishes the mega wealthy freight companies ..?
How do we collectively fix this ongoing...?   We talk about plastics and the like but this seems to be swept under the waves.
As an offshore sailor and owner, I'm scared shitless for my boat and crew ........ 

 

On another note ..... I'm know there was some issues for Kojiro on a couple occasions but with the best equipment i was expecting better speed...  Is he just inexperienced with a great budget out there doing his best (Good on him if so)....?   Anyone know more on him...? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

JLC keeps doing incredibly well! Considering that he spent a good part of a day rescuing Kevin, then a day+ of interviews and other distractions while trying to catch a bit of sleep, he is just a few miles from 4th! 

Burton is killing it! Ruyant is slowly falling behind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, astro said:

Looks like a serious challenge to the race to me.  How can you send people out solo in fragile boats into a flotsam soup?

They have not been sent out - they choose to do so. Not so much different from Formula 1, Idatarod or horse racing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Varan said:

Watching Le Cam booking along at 17+ in 6th place got me thinking (oh oh) about what a great opportunity this is for Escoffier, watching a master do his thing 24/7. You cannot buy that kind of training. All the little nuisances, rig checks, weather routing, sleep and meal patterns, ... 

Albeit his wide oceanic sailing experience, for sure Kevin is learning a lot this past week, his sudden sunken boat, the rescue and then the master's workshop until Kerguelen :) indeed

48 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

....OR......

This watching.

Watching for UFO's JLC has strapped Kevin to the pulpit wearing a diving mask and snorkel. 

Kevin is not happy. :lol:

Not happy, but very very lucky (also the race until today with just accidents to tell, crossfingers), lucky even with the head under the freezing waters :D I bet grumpy king Jean solo master is pushing hard his boat for a fast landing :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Burton is killing it! Ruyant is slowly falling behind.

Burton certainly is max VMG now and staying in the SW pressure as Charlie is running out of horsepower looking to gybe (which in real time he probably already has). 

Damian Seguin also staying in SW pressure and going in right direction is appearing as a smokey 

IMG_20201203_160843.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

....OR......

This watching.

Watching for UFO's JLC has strapped Kevin to the pulpit wearing a diving mask and snorkel. 

Kevin is not happy. :lol:

The humorous posts positing growing tensions between two solo sailors stuck in close quarters together makes me think of one regatta when I was maybe 13 or 14, sailing Mistrals I think - some two person skiff.  My crew kept trying to tell me what to do, and wouldn't follow my instructions.  I grew increasingly irritated, and as we passed the clubhouse I distracted him for a second and gave him a little shove backwards into the drink by the docks, and continued on for the rest of the race happily by myself.  

Evidently this is not allowed, but it did generate a lot of laughter and fun conversations over the years from the adults who were watching from shore.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rainier said:

Yup, Killer whales are attacking their foils.  First, they swim well ahead of them, then either stop or swim back at the foils and smash into them killing themselves but also breaking foils.  Kamikaze whales!

Good call.

They don't appear that stupid having the second-biggest brains among all ocean mammals.

Maybe you are thinking it's menopausel females just going mental and not suicidal?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2020 at 7:12 AM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Note, no runners on and not urgent on timing of winding the new runner suggesting it's not essential for the rig... great speed gybe .... absolutely cooking here.  Hitting anything at this speed it's easy to see why it's catastrophic   

"We" don't joke about it..... but these days many abandon well before it's necessary

_______________________________

These figures absolutely horrify the fuck out of me..... Completely unacceptable in this day and age and considering what each empty box is worth let alone a full one, why is there no GPS locator assigned to each one so at least we know if they are floating or gone...... 
Is there a world body to answer to ....When in international waters who punishes the mega wealthy freight companies ..?
How do we collectively fix this ongoing...?   We talk about plastics and the like but this seems to be swept under the waves.
As an offshore sailor and owner, I'm scared shitless for my boat and crew .......

Catastrophic result indeed, scary as hell and surrealistic..., but just like climbers, alpinists, car pilots, and high risk extreme athletes, they are hooked in forever and keep coming... 4 years later, he is out there again and with the highest 24hr average speed of this year's race (515Nm) 

The oceans are huge highways full of monster traffic and their attached rubbish, and no real clear answer or solution appears in the horizon except for more technology onboard, given the perpetual increasing world's population demand and markets...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adrianl said:

Weather is considered to be one of the most frequent factors contributing to container damage or loss overboard during a voyage.

Uhh... do they mean shippers not being willing to pay the cost of preparing for such weather?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Sorry if this has been posted already - President Macron calls up le Cam and Escoffier!  Brilliant.  Only in France - love it!

 

Posted before, but it does not hurt...

2 nuggets:

When Kevin explains the boat folding in half and spending 12 hours in the liferaft, the French president says in petto "oh la vache!!!" which is vernacular French; something like "holly cow!"

In English, when you want to wish good luck to someone who is going to do a show or an event, you tell him "break a leg!" , right? You wish the worst, so it does NOT happen.

In "street French", we say "je te dis merde!", or simply "merde!". We are wishing to someone some shit, so it does not happen...  Here the president concludes his exchange with Jean Le Cam by: "et merde pour la suite!" : "and shit for what's coming up!"

 

Welcome to France !:D

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

How good is the forward spotting technology?  The OSCAR website seems to say it in development, and it works OK for spotting Brazilian fishing vessels, but a container or lounging sunfish barely awash?  What happens when it goes off - 20 knots is 10m/s, so reaction times need to be pdq, or does it direct the autopilot?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody was asking about ice danger... virtually none anymore. Going back to beginnings of Vendee, Whitbread etc.. it was certainly there as they routed along the great circle and would have taken a short cut across Antarctica if the boats had been equiped with wheels. However the boats were stronger and the speeds slower so a lot less energy involved. Back in the mid 2000's there was a lot of ice for a few years after a couple of big ice shelves broke up ... the icebergs are released onto the race track a year or three after the ice shelf calves... so look out for the next edition ( the ice limit will probably run from the River Plate to Cape Town.).

Off of ice and onto on possible explaination for the UFOs. In these latitudes further west I have seen huge pods of various members of the dolphin family; Orcas, Pilot Whales, Southern Right Whale dolphins and various smaller dolphins numbering thousands of animals covering a huge area. If you plowed into one of those at 25 knots a collison would be very very likely. Any one of those animals would be big enough break a foil or whatever. 

The pods are surprisingly hard to see, from sea level, in boisterous conditions. I vividly remember coming up one one these in thirty knots or so of wind doing about 8 - 10 knots, coming up to dusk. I was on deck and spotted them first a couple of hundred metres ahead ( a swell or two ); with me in the cockpit was a professional film-maker who dived for his camera to film it.. He picked the camera up and started to film and then just said "fuck it I'll never get anything decent in the can I'm just going to watch."

This time of year you have those pods around and the big whales are migrating south too but most will also be further south by now, I think. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SpartacusF said:

How good is the forward spotting technology?  The OSCAR website seems to say it in development, and it works OK for spotting Brazilian fishing vessels, but a container or lounging sunfish barely awash?  What happens when it goes off - 20 knots is 10m/s, so reaction times need to be pdq, or does it direct the autopilot?  

The answers you passed...this the last one just above. 

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:
3 hours ago, stief said:

18 boats equipped, says VGsite, (3 with whale pingers), but doesn't list them

4 named (2 with testaments) by  SailWorld. All say it's still in development

1. Maxime Sorel, V&B Mayenne
2. Boris Hermann, Seaexplorer - Yacht Club de Monaco
3. Kévin Escoffier, PRB
4. Samantha Davies, Initiatives Cœur

5. Alex Thomson Hugo Boss

6. -> 18?

So 3 of the 5 so far on the list. 



Vid linky courtesy Herman

Description operation from 2.45

As UFO and sea state false alarm image data base grows so does accuracy and reliability.

From 5.00 Herrmann has his linked to his AP. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

 

 

On another note ..... I'm know there was some issues for Kojiro on a couple occasions but with the best equipment i was expecting better speed...  Is he just inexperienced with a great budget out there doing his best (Good on him if so)....?   Anyone know more on him...? 

Kojiro main cannot be full, one reef at the max.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stief said:

Conrad Humphreys and Bruno Dubois. 

 

Damn, Stief, you said the same things Bruno DuBois said, hours earlier! You need to be a guest on Conrad's show. No, wait, you need your own Podcast!  First, he noted that the amount of damaged or boats out of the race  so far is relatively small. And in discussing the IMOCA class, improvements to the boats, foiling, etc. he noted that technology will continue and should continue to evolve and improve, and (drum roll for Stief here) gave as an example, Grosjean's amazing recovery from the flaming crash in the Bahrain F1! DuBois said Kevin's nickname on DongFeng was MacGYver; I hereby call you, Sage Stief! It was interesting that DuBOis mentioned that Kevin was nervous about the boat prior to the race, specifically noting its age, the collisions it had been involved in, and the modifications (though, as we know, Kevin is an engineer in his other life and designed boars, specifically composites). Perhaps DuBois' most candid comment, was that the VC is "tough to finish" (noting his son in law, the aforementioned earlier by me in this thread Jack Boutel,) but that it should be, and added "tough to enter." Jack Boutel again. Lastly he stated "we cannot go cheap." 

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

"... they are natural and beautiful not artificial and horrendous..."

Agree. Humpbacks, Sperm Whales etc also have reasonably defined migration paths going south to Antartica now if not already there and off the race course. 

However Orcas don't smile...they sort of sneer ....and are known to go weird like this in Nth Hemisphere summer just gone. 

Scientists baffled by Orcas ramming sailing boats near Spain and Portugal

I have had Orcas in number cross my path in daylight which is very unsettling due to their speed.

However a pod of the fuckers doing this I would be shitting my pants big time.

"Clack-clack-clack......here is a killer whale thrashing around in my cockpit and it looks very hungry."

 

We have lots of shapes in the waters off of Alaska, as is well known. As a sea kayaker, it can be a bit unsettling to had humpbacks breaching nearby, and curious orcas circling around. At one point, some sea kayakers were painting the bottom of their kayaks black and white to try to convince an orca that they were one and supposedly scare it off. I never had one take a chunk out of any of my hard-shells (though a bear tore one up on land) but it was sometimes disconcerting!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Somebody was asking about ice danger... virtually none anymore. Going back to beginnings of Vendee, Whitbread etc.. it was certainly there as they routed along the great circle and would have taken a short cut across Antarctica if the boats had been equiped with wheels. However the boats were stronger and the speeds slower so a lot less energy involved. Back in the mid 2000's there was a lot of ice for a few years after a couple of big ice shelves broke up ... the icebergs are released onto the race track a year or three after the ice shelf calves... so look out for the next edition ( the ice limit will probably run from the River Plate to Cape Town.).

Off of ice and onto on possible explaination for the UFOs. In these latitudes further west I have seen huge pods of various members of the dolphin family; Orcas, Pilot Whales, Southern Right Whale dolphins and various smaller dolphins numbering thousands of animals covering a huge area. If you plowed into one of those at 25 knots a collison would be very very likely. Any one of those animals would be big enough break a foil or whatever. 

The pods are surprisingly hard to see, from sea level, in boisterous conditions. I vividly remember coming up one one these in thirty knots or so of wind doing about 8 - 10 knots, coming up to dusk. I was on deck and spotted them first a couple of hundred metres ahead ( a swell or two ); with me in the cockpit was a professional film-maker who dived for his camera to film it.. He picked the camera up and started to film and then just said "fuck it I'll never get anything decent in the can I'm just going to watch."

This time of year you have those pods around and the big whales are migrating south too but most will also be further south by now, I think. 

Yeah sure, it's nature breaking their boats.

Not garbage, right ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Miffy said:

So what's the Wednesday summary?

1. Arkea Paprec hit something and broke a foil/bearing/casing 
2. No news is good news on board Apivia?
3. LinkedOut is hobbled but not really showing signs of weakness 
4. Louis Burton putting in some serious miles in the south that no one else is trying at the moment

I'm a noob. I know I should just stay quiet and read. Still, I did not found anything on this so I'm giving it a try, please do not kill me ;)

As you said, LO is being quite fast also with a damaged foil. In last edition HB almost won with a broken foil for the majority of the race.

And, foils seem to brake quite easily when hitting OFNI, and forces generated by them seem quite difficult to manage by the designers.

Are we sure that the difference in speed we see is due to the foil and not to other evolutions of the last designs? Are we sure foils are here to stay? It seems to me - but, being a noob, what do I know?! :) - that foils are something that sometimes reappear in the sailing world, it happened many times before, but at the end, it always generates more problems than solutions.

Does this makes sense to you? Now back in silent mode..

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, astro said:

Yeah sure, it's nature breaking their boats.

Not garbage, right ...

There is a lot less garbage in those latitudes than in the parts of the oceans surrounded by the more populus landmasses in the the north. Currents, basically, don't cross the equator so most of the trash stays north. It is still about of course but it is usually broken fishing gear (Hugo Boss) plastic bags, and polystyrene that I see though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems possible that they encounter more UFO this year in the south as the ice zone pushes them north where there is more commercial traffic, containers just as Ruyant in 2016.

As foils grow larger the surface under the water is also larger even if the overall wetted surface is reduced.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, DVV said:

And, foils seem to brake quite easily when hitting OFNI, and forces generated by them seem quite difficult to manage by the designers.

Bit more precise, they get damaged and do not breake off easily. Maybe breaking would be better for the loads on the structure. And with daggerboards we did see breakage too. And keels.  And masts, they always find something new to break...
The difficulty for engineers are the unknow unknows. It is all a big experiment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First, thanks for all the positive feedback regarding my rant on threaddrift, nitpicking, toxic trolling attitude and keeping this thread bearable to read. I have decided not to turn away from the forums yet. I won't have time in the days though, as I have to build a surprise for a family member for Sinterklaas. Or Santa Clause, as the Americans who stole this dude more or less from the Dutch call him. It's an old tradition in our family to give self-made presents to each other, with a poem. Further, I have to write another 8 poems with end rhyme before Saturday afternoon. Hopefully I can pick-up stuff in the beginning of next week. * out * 

This is the goal;

image.jpeg.f16949e4039a5e494da7e717485a2fbf.jpeg

Regarding some reactions see below how I feel about them.

16 hours ago, stief said:

Three days now I've just been getting into the looking at your routing, and let myself get distracted. 

Hmmm. Rathe