On 12/3/2020 at 3:12 PM, tallyho said:

L'Occitane is slowing, only 466m in the last 24 hours! ;-) 

Interesting note, Tripon was 1,100 m approx behind La Fabrique at the equator, now only 250..  What a run!

That delta is now approx 100m!

• Like 2
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

[aside} covid + VG = success for Sailing World 

Just now, SSolo said:

IMCOA would not allow through hull electric watt&sea  or the use of the propeller for 'regeneration' charging this time around. and put up many many barriers over HB's electric motor setup.

Damn. Thought Conrad Colman's efforts last time would help. Guess not

7 minutes ago, Varan said:

Good point. I read it in the context of his previous statement about the event in general. "Over the past week or so we’ve been reminded of just how difficult this race is. I’ve said it time and time again but there really is no sporting challenge in the world as tough as the Vendée Globe."

I am somewhat unsure. I believe Alex does not know the answer himself and we are all just speculating here. From one perspective, they have fairly sorted boat, which should be repairable. I believe Alex still has some sauce left in himself to shoot out and not hang his pink hoodie on a hook for retirement. On contrary - the question of money (if I'm not mistaken, their HB sponsorship expires at the end of either 2021 or 22, not sure), the opinion of his wife and family, and his ability to get his shit together and prove that he really has some sauce left in him. I do think we will hear in coming months about what he really thinks. 

And I almost forgot the sentiment factor. He has invested so much time, effort and himself into this, that I believe it would be extremely hard for him to walk away. He has been so close. So it all boils down to combination of factors... 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Did a circumnavigation with a Monitor. Great piece of kit and had a personality too.

Met a chap once who referred to his Monitor as "the vicar", because it didn't smoke or drink and kept them on the True Way

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Barons said:

Hmmm.
No blade, 
No linkage,
possibly structural issues, but that's just speculation. 

And that stupid green line covers the view of hull in the most interesting point. 

Does not see ultra critical, almost like it has been just removed with wrench and spanner, but who am I to judge. And there is suspicious silence about what has happened really. 

am i missing something?? - no rudder at all, how can we make any conclusion?  HB / AT has said it was trashed by a fishing net, so i assume it was totalled

1 minute ago, Barons said:

I am somewhat unsure. I believe Alex does not know the answer himself and we are all just speculating here. From one perspective, they have fairly sorted boat, which should be repairable. I believe Alex still has some sauce left in himself to shoot out and not hang his pink hoodie on a hook for retirement. On contrary - the question of money (if I'm not mistaken, their HB sponsorship expires at the end of either 2021 or 22, not sure), the opinion of his wife and family, and his ability to get his shit together and prove that he really has some sauce left in him. I do think we will hear in coming months about what he really thinks. 

And I almost forgot the sentiment factor. He has invested so much time, effort and himself into this, that I believe it would be extremely hard for him to walk away. He has been so close. So it all boils down to combination of factors... 

For prespective, JLC is sailing on an older, non-foiling boat and was in third before the rescue.  Even now he is hitting strong numbers and since there are concerns about the new boats, could he win by attrition?  My point, HB and AT already have a proven boat, Hugo Boss.  It is not like they really *need* to build a new boat since the existing new boats are still not tested out, there are indications that foiling is not best suited for psuedo SO sailing (not my words), and winning this thing is not just about technology.

As we can see the race is dangerous, but from start to finish it takes barely 1/3 of a year to compete out of 4 years so a family that is used to mommy or daddy being gone 100 days max for one year out of 4, I think they understand why.

AT sits in a good seat to decide for 2024.  His primary sponsor, if still interested in the VG would be smart to re-hire him for 2024 if his contract ends.  He's good for business and he has the capability to win.  AT has a set job for 4 years and the sponsor does not need to build a boat, just make it work better where it is needed the most.  Who knows what that is till the end of this race (and who's left).  If he retires completely I would see it as wanting to do other things, not because his boat broke and it broke him.  My feeling is that he loves this race and he'll stop only when he thinks he cannot be competitive long term.  I hope he stays in and uses this Hugo Boss.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Snowden said:

Met a chap once who referred to his Monitor as "the vicar", because it didn't smoke or drink and kept them on the True Way

We called ours 'Morley' after a character in a Canadian radio show, the Vinyl Cafe. On the radio Morley (generally) brought order and common sense after her husband typically caused chaos while trying to do good things. Our Morley did something similar.

• Like 6

7 of the top 10 right now are foilers and we’re not even past Cape Leeuwin. Like I said yesterday there’s going to be a course correction for teams with smaller budgets/not winning aspirations to focus $ on solid boat/good buildup & media investment. A lot of money and time was burned this edition on the idea that foiling is needed for a good campaign, shall we say an over exuberance re how easy it would be. 

But foilers are performing better - they just need more coin and time to workout the issues. It is just simple math - 4/7 foilers finished last time around, a rate of attrition no worse than the non-foiling boats. 

Le Cam is great. His story and seamanship and narrative and charm is excellent and shows what the VG is about - but remember he’s also a smart savvy guy. Last edition he marveled at Hugo Boss and BP charging across the southern ocean and said if only he could have a boat like that 

8 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

For prespective, JLC is sailing on an older, non-foiling boat and was in third before the rescue.  Even now he is hitting strong numbers and since there are concerns about the new boats, could he win by attrition?  My point, HB and AT already have a proven boat, Hugo Boss.  It is not like they really *need* to build a new boat since the existing new boats are still not tested out, there are indications that foiling is not best suited for psuedo SO sailing (not my words), and winning this thing is not just about technology.

As we can see the race is dangerous, but from start to finish it takes barely 1/3 of a year to compete out of 4 years so a family that is used to mommy or daddy being gone 100 days max for one year out of 4, I think they understand why.

AT sits in a good seat to decide for 2024.  His primary sponsor, if still interested in the VG would be smart to re-hire him for 2024 if his contract ends.  He's good for business and he has the capability to win.  AT has a set job for 4 years and the sponsor does not need to build a boat, just make it work better where it is needed the most.  Who knows what that is till the end of this race (and who's left).  If he retires completely I would see it as wanting to do other things, not because his boat broke and it broke him.  My feeling is that he loves this race and he'll stop only when he thinks he cannot be competitive long term.  I hope he stays in and uses this Hugo Boss.

It would be good to see him back. I have difficulty picturing JLC in a Hugo Boss suit.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

The big boats like his Sayonara that got into and across Bass Strait early and so relatively speaking got through unscathed. I don't recall her even incurring any sail damage....maybe his dress got torn?

It was those behind him who got smashed.

I read the book "The Billionaire and the Auto Mechanic", (one of my many "COVID reads" this year).  The beginning of the book is about that SH race.  According to Larry Sayonara took some structural damage and went through some gnarly conditions.  He's an huge blowhard and some of that book is hard to take, but it's worth the read IMO.  

2 hours ago, TPG said:

Then he probably shouldn't have gone for the ride then. How many were in that race and got back on the horse after that weren't multi billionaires able to build whatever boat they want? I thought he "hated to lose and never gave up"? At least that's what he said about the AC.

He also thrives on being in control.  Hard to control the bass straight...

• Downvote 1
1 minute ago, RobbieB said:

He also thrives on being in control.  Hard to control the bass straight...

Then he picked the wrong sport and rightly walked away.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

7 of the top 10 right now are foilers and we’re not even past Cape Leeuwin. Like I said yesterday there’s going to be a course correction for teams with smaller budgets/not winning aspirations to focus $ on solid boat/good buildup & media investment. A lot of money and time was burned this edition on the idea that foiling is needed for a good campaign, shall we say an over exuberance re how easy it would be. 

But foilers are performing better - they just need more coin and time to workout the issues. It is just simple math - 4/7 foilers finished last time around, a rate of attrition no worse than the non-foiling boats. 

Valid points, but there is this perspective:

What decisions do you have in mind?

We need to take these by committee with wise people. New boats currently cost a fortune – 6 to 6.5 M€ - which means they are not accessible to young skippers or small companies. They also have a high risk. At some point, we need to face the reality and say things. Before the race, you can do all the media you want when you are Charal, Hugo Boss or Corum, they all broke.

---------------------

Perhaps he has a valid point as well.  That 7/10 boats are foiler at the top is mainly because those teams had the money and they are also some of the best sailors in the world.  I remember discussions in SA that talked about the VOR and how expensive it is (mainly labor and travel) and how that expense was killing it off.  Sure, throw coin and more and more, but at some point only a few have both the coin and the desire and when that group gets too small, that what do you have left?

Clearly the French love this race, but if you cannot get enough new young talent at the top then interest fades as the older sailors retire.  Young sailors say "fuck it, I'll do something I can afford and win at".  It's a tough balance and one constantly changing, but end of the day, if you cannot get or keep a younger audience AND provide a means for younger sailors to have a clean shot to win....(shrugs).  There is some good younger sailors in this race for sure, let's hope they are not priced out the next round.

20 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

The thing you have to remember is that it is not just the duration of the VG that you have to take into consideration. There are other IMOCA races like the TJV, RdR etc. plus the endless months spent testing, developing and refining.  On top of that there are sponsor commitments etc. that will add to the time away from family.  It is a huge commitment.  AT has had issues with his recent boats outside of the VG e.g. the keel with both the current and previous boat which add to the worry and stress family has to go through.

Sail-World  recaps day 27 and the hallucinations of the sleep deprived...

"I saw something when it was dark: a rainbow at night! It's quite weird. We had passages of squalls with rain, sometimes even hail. Suddenly, as in broad daylight, there are phenomena of rainbow, diffraction of light. There it was behind me. They were shades of green. It was not of all colors. It passed between the clouds. It really was a full arc, something extraordinary. It's the first time I've seen this! "

• Like 1

The nice thing about the VG is that it isn’t prescriptive - there’s no entry rule that says only foiling IMOCAS can join. 

If I had 6 million to build a campaign and the program weren’t out to win but wanted to saturate the PR game - you pick the fastest solid non-foiling boat, the best PR skipper who has charm? Charisma, maybe beautiful or handsome, equip them with the best media gear, familiarization and get the most sea miles in the buildup. 

Then watch the narrative develop & the 3 month media production. Maybe schedule a bunch of events with schools to talk about ocean health, drop an array of buoys, maybe even live stream entire days. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, JMore said:

The thing you have to remember is that it is not just the duration of the VG that you have to take into consideration. There are other IMOCA races like the TJV, RdR etc. plus the endless months spent testing, developing and refining.  On top of that there are sponsor commitments etc. that will add to the time away from family.  It is a huge commitment.  AT has had issues with his recent boats outside of the VG e.g. the keel with both the current and previous boat which add to the worry and stress family has to go through.

Agreed.  yet a family that has grown up with all of that understands it.  It is like a military family.  The husband or wife may have to go serve tours, they may have to move every few years and yes, that is hard, but if all that is known before marriage, then it is accepted as a life choice by both partners.  Sailing for HB (I figure) is AT full time job so if he leaves he still has to make money, support a family and a man who has dedicated his adult life to sailboat racing...can you imagine him behind a desk?  At this point, at 46...I can't.

What I wonder is let's say he didn't break.  Let's say he ran the whole thing and wins....would we be having this discussion or thinking "Can't wait to see what he does in 2024!"  What ever decision he makes I believe his family will support it, but he will make it based on what is good for his family and, perhaps, the desire to try again.

• Like 1

One thing to consider is that the race is limited at 34 entries, due to the available space in the Les Sables marina. The organisers want to keep all the entrants in there on the prestige pontoon and are not willing to start spread the fleet around. The main reason is that the village is just off that pontoon and they want to allow easy access for the public.

I think I recall they looked at expending the pontoon, but this would involve signifant dredging and probably get rid of one of the smaller pontoons. The whole thing would cost a lot of money, and the city is not keen for that sort of investment as they have already paid for some of the previous work.

les sables.png

34 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Looks like Boss’s rudder simply fell out!!

31 minutes ago, SSolo said:

am i missing something?? - no rudder at all, how can we make any conclusion?  HB / AT has said it was trashed by a fishing net, so i assume it was totalled

Apparently the rudder was removed by the shore team in granger bay, ironically to stop speculation and photos :P
(Disclaimer, this is information passed on by someone who knows someone local, take with as much salt as you require).

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, stief said:

VG Toughest for a single hander; VOR toughest for a team.

VOR tougher than a JV, non-stop, no ice limits, faster boats? Not contradicting, but wondered why you thought that? JV not an "event" as such?

6 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The nice thing about the VG is that it isn’t prescriptive - there’s no entry rule that says only foiling IMOCAS can join. 

If I had 6 million to build a campaign and the program weren’t out to win but wanted to saturate the PR game - you pick the fastest solid non-foiling boat, the best PR skipper who has charm? Charisma, maybe beautiful or handsome, equip them with the best media gear, familiarization and get the most sea miles in the buildup. 

Then watch the narrative develop & the 3 month media production. Maybe schedule a bunch of events with schools to talk about ocean health, drop an array of buoys, maybe even live stream entire days. 

I see your point and I guess if we looked at the race from two viewpoints, sail to win, sail to gain attention that works.  I'm past any time to do what you proposed, but had I the opportunity in the past it I would have done it for sure.

(had more to say, I deleted it since generally I agree.  This race is on going, 2024 is in the future and there are many miles between those two points.  Time will tell what happens down the road, certainly not me)

5 hours ago, CARBONINIT said:

Is there a reason why Imocas have not used a single canting T Foil?

Monohulls with T foils are found in the new AC75's and they are E boats.
The first ocean going monohull with T foil has not been build yet.
Try to design one and there are too many obstacles to build one.
Vuneralibity, high power hydraulics, and launching in waves are some considerations not to build a mono like that.

4 minutes ago, hump101 said:

VOR tougher than a JV, non-stop, no ice limits, faster boats? Not contradicting, but wondered why you thought that? JV not an "event" as such?

I believe the JV does allow outside assistance though.
So the shore team can do the routing and navigation or at least assist with this.

Neither are endeavors to take lightly.

22 minutes ago, hump101 said:

[aside] I did consider the other RTW record attempts, and agree it's tough, but they get to choose their start time and can turn back before Cape Town if it looks bad ahead.  The  ice limits are  "easier"  too because they are allowed shore based routers who set the limits for only one boat (VOR and VG have to set for a fleet many days in advance).  Recalling Sam Davies'  work on ice limits here when Coville made his record run. Also considered Dee's westabout run. There are many remarkable and often unknown efforts that are arguably "tougher", so yes, "event" is probably a good reason.

and thanks for preempting the flame-bait

Edited by stief
smartly asked question cred
  • Like 1

Swimming back upstream a ways...and it could have already been mentioned, but Bar Karate podcast did an interview with 11th Hour co-founder and grant director recently that would be relevant to some of the past comments I skimmed.  Might be worth a listen to some.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

Only two degrees of freedom allowed and you would need 3 to make a solution competitive with Dali foils.  Rudder elevators will be the next step.

Actually only one degree of freedom. How the kick-up system has to work is not specified. Some key points from the rule book that prevents it to be used as horizontal stabilizer. 

Rudder: A moveable hull appendage primarily used to affect yaw and shall not be designed to provide vertical lift

Servo-control is expressly forbidden with the following exceptions:

1. Adjustment and control of the keel using exclusively the standard canting system equipment when supplied;
  2. The rudders to affect the yaw.

All points along the leading and trailing edges of the rudder shall be in the same plane.

The race continues on board Yes We Cam... they seem to be having good fun together...

Jean is doing good speed (21.4 knots average over 4 hours), clac clac clac, he then jokes with Kevin, who finds the coffee good and the food really really good, so much so he's decided to drop Lyophilized food altogether, Jean asks him about the heating, Kevin answers that it's harder to put his boots on because they're too dry for his taste,

Jean tells us that in about two days Kevin should embark on the Nivose, Kevin hopes the cooking chef aboard the Nivose will be up to the task.

GO Jean ! Yes we Cam !

(google auto translate available on this one, doesn't do a good job when the camera goes outside though)

• Like 9
34 minutes ago, Notquitecapnron said:

Swimming back upstream a ways...and it could have already been mentioned, but Bar Karate podcast did an interview with 11th Hour co-founder and grant director recently that would be relevant to some of the past comments I skimmed.  Might be worth a listen to some.

Agreed, about Episode 80. Was indeed relevant. Link here 

Will probably miss 81 (American Magic), since the latest Tip and Shaft is now up. Virtual Regatta VG, and the lesser known VG skips. Looks interesting

Edited by stief
T&S erratum noted; corrected link
1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

Apparently the rudder was removed by the shore team in granger bay, ironically to stop speculation and photos :P
(Disclaimer, this is information passed on by someone who knows someone local, take with as much salt as you require).

Wouldnt have been tough for Alex to publish a pic of that rudder with fishing gear entangled  "in the cracks".

And for sure these pics and video footage exist -- if it is indeed what happened --.

So if none is published, it is close to acting as promoting speculations from the team ..

(like the boat was too fucked up to continue anyway)

27 minutes ago, yl75 said:

So if none is published, it is close to acting as promoting speculations from the team

Speculation will happen either way. ATR is not shy about being open, so I figure they've got good reasons not to publish more. Lawyers know the real cost of openness.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Wouldnt have been tough for Alex to publish a pic of that rudder with fishing gear entangled  "in the cracks".

And for sure these pics and video footage exist -- if it is indeed what happened --.

So if none is published, it is close to acting as promoting speculations from the team ..

(like the boat was too fucked up to continue anyway)

Pics or it didn't happen - in that respect Alex speaks perfectly fluent VG french :-)

• Like 1

JLC's overall boatspeed seems to have improved since he picked up a passenger. Anyone know of a boatspeed graph for the entire race? Gotta wonder if just having another onboard gives some reassurance allowing for better sleep and a willingness to push it a wee bit harder. Or maybe its just the weather and routing he chose. In any case, I love the fact he is hanging with leaders and doing extremely well against the foilers, clac, clac, clac.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, ant1 said:

The race continues on board Yes We Cam... they seem to be having good fun together...

Jean is doing good speed (21.4 knots average over 4 hours), clac clac clac, he then jokes with Kevin, who finds the coffee good and the food really really good, so much so he's decided to drop Lyophilized food altogether, Jean asks him about the heating, Kevin answers that it's harder to put his boots on because they're too dry for his taste,

Jean tells us that in about two days Kevin should embark on the Nivose, Kevin hopes the cooking chef aboard the Nivose will be up to the task.

GO Jean ! Yes we Cam !

(google auto translate available on this one, doesn't do a good job when the camera goes outside though)

I really envy Kevin, just sitting, enjoying coffee and sailing, without having anything to do (:

but definitely deserved after all he went through!!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, BozoC said:

What's wrong with Isabelle ? slow and glitchy trajectory for the past 36 hours

On a 36hr playback, looks like she's trying mode changes looking for the right groove in the wind and seas she's got. Can't find much wrong there?

edit. Pretty similar to Giancarlo's' track.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

My point, HB and AT already have a proven boat, Hugo Boss. 

Not at all trying to be a dick here.  I love the HB program and am totally gutted for Alex and the team, (and for anyone else for that matter to have made this commitment only to be shut down by gear failure or UFO contact).  However, I think it's a stretch to say the boat is "proven".  I mean it's been proven to break twice now.  First they dropped the keel in their first competitive outing, (not because they hit something right?) and then the bow structure started coming apart 2 weeks into Vendee.  I don't count UFO's.  Anyone hits anything with an appendage going 15+ knots is going to have damage.

3 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Not at all trying to be a dick here.  I love the HB program and am totally gutted for Alex and the team, (and for anyone else for that matter to have made this commitment only to be shut down by gear failure or UFO contact).  However, I think it's a stretch to say the boat is "proven".  I mean it's been proven to break twice now.  First they dropped the keel in their first competitive outing, (not because they hit something right?) and then the bow structure started coming apart 2 weeks into Vendee.  I don't count UFO's.  Anyone hits anything with an appendage going 15+ knots is going to have damage.

agree, on the other hand I'd say for 2016 Boss that she's proven, not only in terms of durability and robustness but speed as well, to me she looked like the fastest boat in 2016 VG fleet

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Absolutely - the blind faith and love people have for the programme is baffling. 

That boat has proven nothing except its ability to break 

The 2016 boat proved ot be the best of a generation, and I think it's a real shame we didn't see it do another lap with another sailor. 

In fact I wonder is Alex wishing he did what he did in 2012 and changed boat shortly before and ran with an older design

Just now, TheDragon said:

Don't knock it till you try it, Stief! I live for it.

Thought you'd like it. Couldn't decide between Iker's 'retirement' options and the vids of Alex kiting in the Canaries (or was it Verdes?)

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I think there was something else broken beside the rudder because he had do disconnect it to restore the control. Otherwise I imagine that fixing it (whatever was left of the rudder) in the upper position would be enough. And I think he would not gave up that easy just because continuing meant swapping the single rudder too often. HB has a very long rod-system and both sides are connected inside the cockpit. I think this is the place where it was disconnected because the rod system was broken and jammed. It is not hard to imagine what the fishing-net does if it tangles with one end around the rudder - it spins it with quite a huge torque.

48 minutes ago, BozoC said:

What's wrong with Isabelle ? slow and glitchy trajectory for the past 36 hours

I was wondering that earlier today.  Looking at Windy (waves) she is in a spot with good sized wave action and that could be messing up how much she can power up...but...in what looked like almost the same conditions she had been catching/passing Pedote, now she's lost ground.

Nature of the VG?  For now I'll take Stief's view that she may be changing gears and it is actually more slowing her down then helping.  Like Pip's comments a few days ago about heart vs head and sometimes the best option is to be patient.  I guess we'll know if/when she says anything (and it is interpreted).  I do feel she's got the chops to push more to the front if this is just tired, cold, need a break, get back into type of mode right now.

If you want to speak perfect fluent VG french, you tell the real story after you arrive or after you retire .....   

My little mouse (untrusted french animal....) is telling me that the broken rudder is in perfect condition to the contrary of the repair made by Alex on the structure. It looks like it did not really fix the problem. :rolleyes: (and they couldn't say it because of all the PR widely praised on this forum, made around the fix !) 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

I know it's tough. 

You'll get to acceptance eventually 

I know it must be hard to trust the Brits from your vantage point - but I don't think ATR-VPLP-Charal-DMGmori engaged in some massive conspiracy about the keel box and keel design in sister boats and made some false information to disseminate into sister programs.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Does anyone else think this could mean he didn't carry a spare blade ? Would be a huge mistake.

1 minute ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Does anyone else think this could mean he didn't carry a spare blade ? Would be a huge mistake.

Well if BozoC is to be believed, they tossed that over the side miles ago.

4 hours ago, stief said:

The iJ will wait until the pickup has been finalized before thy can pinpoint when JLC is back on full racing. So, right now he's  kinda racing, but in delivery mode. 

He's going to be running short of food with 2 of them eating away.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Safran and Marc Guillemot might have something to say about that...

Since Elies acquired the boat, she has been fitted with new daggerboards in a similar configuration to SMA and will have a new keel in September, as Elies half jokes: “I don’t want to be the guy who loses the third keel of this boat!”

35 minutes ago, stief said:

English pub with Peter at the next table.

Man- that's a story.  Ready his book, (another COVID read). It ends just as he's getting the "wave piercing" cat under construction.  Was gutted for him too when that project went to hell.

1 minute ago, RobbieB said:

Man- that's a story.  Ready his book, (another COVID read). It ends just as he's getting the "wave piercing" cat under construction.  Was gutted for him too when that project went to hell.

Goss' book is simply stunning. 

His Vendee story is something special 

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Just on the spare rudder question I digged out a german newspaper article  (pre-VG start) that quotes a spare rudder on the packing list from Boris Herrmann:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/segeln-hamburg-von-hamburg-um-die-welt-herrmann-vor-vendee-globe-start-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-201019-99-00766

So apparently the existence of a spare rudder is nothing obscure on an IMOCA. Changing it alone on sea would be another story however. And this would also require all the delicate bearing/tilting mechanism is undamaged/repairable with onboard means.

Quote of the day, JLC "The foiler can go at 35, but there is no guarantee how it will end at the end of the surf."  It is interesting that maybe the foilers are seeing huge spikes and huge lows as they go from fully foiling to only partially foiling or less, whereas the canter/centerboard config maybe sailing at more steady state speeds which could result in less dynamic loading.

On the subject of JLC, he is still posting impressive boats speed numbers, albeit at a bit of a loss in VMC.

I moved my next waypoint to the flat bridge of the adjusted AEZ.  I have also abandoned using the homemade HB polar file for now, as none of the lead boats seems able to get close.  I'm using what i believe is the same Polar file as Herman and have adjusted it to Cam @97% , Linked at 98.5, and Apivia and Bureau at 102% .

Not sure how to adjust for performance loss for Linked and the damaged foil.  I'm guessing that if there is a gybe to port on Sunday, performance will change accordingly.

Also looks possible for Apivia and Bureau to cross paths on late Sunday (1900-2000 hrs). 

Vendee20.JPG

vendeetrackup.JPG

• Like 5

Yannick Bestaven ineterview on board today, on Maitre Coq. He is doing extremely well, in 4th position right now.

I am not going to translate everything, but basically, he is saying it is really-really tough right now. Any activity on board is dangerous because of the slamming and unpredictable motion of the boat.

The boat surfs up to 32 knots and then slams into the trough. He is complaining that it is not as pleasant as it was 2 years ago. (he said 2 years ago, but I am not sure what race he is referring to...)

He has been thrown off his bunk several times and explain that next time around, he will have to build a bulkhead at his feet in the bunk...

"I am living like a wild boar!"

He is tired and if you read between the lines, he is basically saying that he does not know if he can withstand this level or uncomfort for the next few weeks... But it is re-assuring to see that there are other boats around. And it is motivating to look at others' boat speed.

A few more nuggets.

He is pondering aloud whether he should retract his foil or not; he has not done so, so far, but is wondering when it would make sense, to preserve the boat, and allow himself to take a breather.

He has thought of switching to the J3 but has not done so, so far... (so the guy is still more or less pedal to the metal right now...)

He is controling the wind strength variation by simply easing out the main sheet for now...

• Like 7
35 minutes ago, BozoC said:

If you want to speak perfect fluent VG french, you tell the real story after you arrive or after you retire .....   

My little mouse (untrusted french animal....) is telling me that the broken rudder is in perfect condition to the contrary of the repair made by Alex on the structure. It looks like it did not really fix the problem. :rolleyes: (and they couldn't say it because of all the PR widely praised on this forum, made around the fix !) 

I can't tell if there is sarcasm here or just BS. 

I expressed concerns for the quality of the repair some time back while it was in progress as I think many others did.

But, have you really been told that the starboard rudder was undamaged?

10 minutes ago, Butenbremer said:

Just on the spare rudder question I digged out a german newspaper article  (pre-VG start) that quotes a spare rudder on the packing list from Boris Herrmann:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/segeln-hamburg-von-hamburg-um-die-welt-herrmann-vor-vendee-globe-start-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-201019-99-00766

So apparently the existence of a spare rudder is nothing obscure on an IMOCA. Changing it alone on sea would be another story however. And this would also require all the delicate bearing/tilting mechanism is undamaged/repairable with onboard means.

Yes, the only successful solo rudder change unassisted I know of in the Vendee Globe was Conrad Humphrey... considering the boat was already significantly weakened Alex Thomson was probably wise to retire in cape town and not go challenge the southern oceans ...

4 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Yannick Bestaven ineterview on board today, on Maitre Coq. He is doing extremely well, in 4th position right now.

I am not going to translate everything, but basically, he is saying it is really-really tough right now. Any activity on board is dangerous because of the slamming and unpredictable motion of the boat.

The boat surfs up to 32 knots and then slams into the trough. He is complaining that it is not as pleasant as it was 2 years ago

He has been thrown off his bunk several times and explain that next time around, he will have to build at his feet in the bunk...

"I am living like a wild boar!"

He is tired and if you read between the lines, he is basically saying that he does not know if he can withstand this level or uncomfort for the next few weeks... But it is re-assuring to see that there are other boats around. And it is motivating to look at others' boat speed.

A few more nuggets.

He is pondering aloud whether he should retract his foil or not; he has not done so, so far, but is wondering when it would make sense, to preserve the boat, and allow himself to take a breather.

He has thought of switching to the J3 but has not done so, so far... (so the guy is still more or less pedal to the metal right now...)

He is controling the wind strength variation by simply easing out the main sheet for now...

@Laurent  Love these translations even if only brief!

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I moved my next waypoint to the flat bridge of the adjusted AEZ.  I have also abandoned using the homemade HB polar file for now, as none of the lead boats seems able to get close.  I'm using what i believe is the same Polar file as Herman and have adjusted it to Cam @97% , Linked at 98.5, and Apivia and Bureau at 102% .

Thanks as ever Hitch. FWIW, the waypoint setting looks like a good choice.  Other weather projections I ran across say the next key point is about five days away, like your 'finish' times.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Quote of the day, JLC "The foiler can go at 35, but there is no guarantee how it will end at the end of the surf."  It is interesting that maybe the foilers are seeing huge spikes and huge lows as they go from fully foiling to only partially foiling or less, whereas the canter/centerboard config maybe sailing at more steady state speeds which could result in less dynamic loading.

On the subject of JLC, he is still posting impressive boats speed numbers, albeit at a bit of a loss in VMC.

Not sure how to adjust for performance loss for Linked and the damaged foil.  I'm guessing that if there is a gybe to port on Sunday, performance will change accordingly.

Also looks possible for Apivia and Bureau to cross paths on late Sunday (1900-2000 hrs). 

Vendee20.JPG

vendeetrackup.JPG

Thanks a lot for the routings!

One small comment from someone who has NEVER sailed in any of those areas: if I remember well some previous editions, some of the skippers explained that you do not want to sail across the shallower section North of the Kerguelen Islands. The large swells coming from the West are raising hellish seas (as if it was not already hellish enough!) when the sea floor raises so fast in this area.

What would happen to your routing if you included some kind of an exclusion zone around the Kerguelen Islands? Big difference on the other side once everybody get to "Mark3"?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Yes, the only successful solo rudder change unassisted I know of in the Vendee Globe was Conrad Humphrey... considering the boat was already significantly weakened Alex Thomson was probably wise to retire in cape town and not go challenge the southern oceans ...

hum hum... Romain Attanasio 2016 ...

16 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I'd call that quite the understatement: a 61 year old sailor in an old non foiling boat, after pausing for a 1 day SAR operation, is trailing the leader by only 400nm. And the new boats like Apivia were supposed to be made for the SO and "really really" show how fast they are in these conditions.

Its embarrassing.  If I were a sponsor for one of the new foilers I'd call VPLP/Verdier and ask them WTF is going on?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Thanks a lot for the routings!

One small comment from someone who has NEVER sailed in any of those areas: if I remember well some previous editions, some of the skippers explained that you do not want to sail across the shallower section North of the Kerguelen Islands. The large swells coming from the West are raising hellish seas (as if it was not already hellish enough!) when the sea floor raises so fast in this area.

What would happen to your routing if you included some kind of an exclusion zone around the Kerguelen Islands? Big difference on the other side once everybody get to "Mark3"?

I set a routing wave height limit of 6 meters.  The forecast Significant wave height in the area of the Kergs for Sunday is 4.8 meters.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

The Grand Chancery of the Legion of Honour may have something to say about this Frenchman one day.

How would he feel about that?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, minca3 said:

I'd call that quite the understatement: a 61 year old sailor in an old non foiling boat, after pausing for a 1 day SAR operation, is trailing the leader by only 400nm. And the new boats like Apivia were supposed to be made for the SO and "really really" show how fast they are in these conditions.

Its embarrassing.  If I were a sponsor for one of the new foilers I'd call VPLP/Verdier and ask them WTF is going on?

In that vein, any word on the concession for the SAR operation?  I wonder if the participating boats might be dead even with the leaders even now.