Just now, TheDragon said:

Don't knock it till you try it, Stief! I live for it.

Thought you'd like it. Couldn't decide between Iker's 'retirement' options and the vids of Alex kiting in the Canaries (or was it Verdes?)

• Like 1
  • Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Wouldnt have been tough for Alex to publish a pic of that rudder with fishing gear entangled  "in the cracks".

I think there was something else broken beside the rudder because he had do disconnect it to restore the control. Otherwise I imagine that fixing it (whatever was left of the rudder) in the upper position would be enough. And I think he would not gave up that easy just because continuing meant swapping the single rudder too often. HB has a very long rod-system and both sides are connected inside the cockpit. I think this is the place where it was disconnected because the rod system was broken and jammed. It is not hard to imagine what the fishing-net does if it tangles with one end around the rudder - it spins it with quite a huge torque.

48 minutes ago, BozoC said:

What's wrong with Isabelle ? slow and glitchy trajectory for the past 36 hours

I was wondering that earlier today.  Looking at Windy (waves) she is in a spot with good sized wave action and that could be messing up how much she can power up...but...in what looked like almost the same conditions she had been catching/passing Pedote, now she's lost ground.

Nature of the VG?  For now I'll take Stief's view that she may be changing gears and it is actually more slowing her down then helping.  Like Pip's comments a few days ago about heart vs head and sometimes the best option is to be patient.  I guess we'll know if/when she says anything (and it is interpreted).  I do feel she's got the chops to push more to the front if this is just tired, cold, need a break, get back into type of mode right now.

If you want to speak perfect fluent VG french, you tell the real story after you arrive or after you retire .....   

My little mouse (untrusted french animal....) is telling me that the broken rudder is in perfect condition to the contrary of the repair made by Alex on the structure. It looks like it did not really fix the problem. :rolleyes: (and they couldn't say it because of all the PR widely praised on this forum, made around the fix !) 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

I know it's tough. 

You'll get to acceptance eventually 

I know it must be hard to trust the Brits from your vantage point - but I don't think ATR-VPLP-Charal-DMGmori engaged in some massive conspiracy about the keel box and keel design in sister boats and made some false information to disseminate into sister programs.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Apparently the rudder was removed by the shore team in granger bay, ironically to stop speculation and photos :P
(Disclaimer, this is information passed on by someone who knows someone local, take with as much salt as you require).

Does anyone else think this could mean he didn't carry a spare blade ? Would be a huge mistake.

1 minute ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Does anyone else think this could mean he didn't carry a spare blade ? Would be a huge mistake.

Well if BozoC is to be believed, they tossed that over the side miles ago.

4 hours ago, stief said:

The iJ will wait until the pickup has been finalized before thy can pinpoint when JLC is back on full racing. So, right now he's  kinda racing, but in delivery mode. 

He's going to be running short of food with 2 of them eating away.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Safran and Marc Guillemot might have something to say about that...

That was GREAT PR. "we'll deign the keel in-house, we are a high-tech company, we know what we are doing"

24  hours after the start...

12 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Safran and Marc Guillemot might have something to say about that...

Since Elies acquired the boat, she has been fitted with new daggerboards in a similar configuration to SMA and will have a new keel in September, as Elies half jokes: “I don’t want to be the guy who loses the third keel of this boat!”

35 minutes ago, stief said:

English pub with Peter at the next table.

Man- that's a story.  Ready his book, (another COVID read). It ends just as he's getting the "wave piercing" cat under construction.  Was gutted for him too when that project went to hell.

1 minute ago, RobbieB said:

Man- that's a story.  Ready his book, (another COVID read). It ends just as he's getting the "wave piercing" cat under construction.  Was gutted for him too when that project went to hell.

Goss' book is simply stunning. 

His Vendee story is something special 

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Just on the spare rudder question I digged out a german newspaper article  (pre-VG start) that quotes a spare rudder on the packing list from Boris Herrmann:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/segeln-hamburg-von-hamburg-um-die-welt-herrmann-vor-vendee-globe-start-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-201019-99-00766

So apparently the existence of a spare rudder is nothing obscure on an IMOCA. Changing it alone on sea would be another story however. And this would also require all the delicate bearing/tilting mechanism is undamaged/repairable with onboard means.

Quote of the day, JLC "The foiler can go at 35, but there is no guarantee how it will end at the end of the surf."  It is interesting that maybe the foilers are seeing huge spikes and huge lows as they go from fully foiling to only partially foiling or less, whereas the canter/centerboard config maybe sailing at more steady state speeds which could result in less dynamic loading.

On the subject of JLC, he is still posting impressive boats speed numbers, albeit at a bit of a loss in VMC.

I moved my next waypoint to the flat bridge of the adjusted AEZ.  I have also abandoned using the homemade HB polar file for now, as none of the lead boats seems able to get close.  I'm using what i believe is the same Polar file as Herman and have adjusted it to Cam @97% , Linked at 98.5, and Apivia and Bureau at 102% .

Not sure how to adjust for performance loss for Linked and the damaged foil.  I'm guessing that if there is a gybe to port on Sunday, performance will change accordingly.

Also looks possible for Apivia and Bureau to cross paths on late Sunday (1900-2000 hrs). 

Vendee20.JPG

vendeetrackup.JPG

• Like 5

Yannick Bestaven ineterview on board today, on Maitre Coq. He is doing extremely well, in 4th position right now.

I am not going to translate everything, but basically, he is saying it is really-really tough right now. Any activity on board is dangerous because of the slamming and unpredictable motion of the boat.

The boat surfs up to 32 knots and then slams into the trough. He is complaining that it is not as pleasant as it was 2 years ago. (he said 2 years ago, but I am not sure what race he is referring to...)

He has been thrown off his bunk several times and explain that next time around, he will have to build a bulkhead at his feet in the bunk...

"I am living like a wild boar!"

He is tired and if you read between the lines, he is basically saying that he does not know if he can withstand this level or uncomfort for the next few weeks... But it is re-assuring to see that there are other boats around. And it is motivating to look at others' boat speed.

A few more nuggets.

He is pondering aloud whether he should retract his foil or not; he has not done so, so far, but is wondering when it would make sense, to preserve the boat, and allow himself to take a breather.

He has thought of switching to the J3 but has not done so, so far... (so the guy is still more or less pedal to the metal right now...)

He is controling the wind strength variation by simply easing out the main sheet for now...

• Like 7
35 minutes ago, BozoC said:

If you want to speak perfect fluent VG french, you tell the real story after you arrive or after you retire .....   

My little mouse (untrusted french animal....) is telling me that the broken rudder is in perfect condition to the contrary of the repair made by Alex on the structure. It looks like it did not really fix the problem. :rolleyes: (and they couldn't say it because of all the PR widely praised on this forum, made around the fix !) 

I can't tell if there is sarcasm here or just BS. 

I expressed concerns for the quality of the repair some time back while it was in progress as I think many others did.

But, have you really been told that the starboard rudder was undamaged?

10 minutes ago, Butenbremer said:

Just on the spare rudder question I digged out a german newspaper article  (pre-VG start) that quotes a spare rudder on the packing list from Boris Herrmann:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/segeln-hamburg-von-hamburg-um-die-welt-herrmann-vor-vendee-globe-start-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-201019-99-00766

So apparently the existence of a spare rudder is nothing obscure on an IMOCA. Changing it alone on sea would be another story however. And this would also require all the delicate bearing/tilting mechanism is undamaged/repairable with onboard means.

Yes, the only successful solo rudder change unassisted I know of in the Vendee Globe was Conrad Humphrey... considering the boat was already significantly weakened Alex Thomson was probably wise to retire in cape town and not go challenge the southern oceans ...

4 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Yannick Bestaven ineterview on board today, on Maitre Coq. He is doing extremely well, in 4th position right now.

I am not going to translate everything, but basically, he is saying it is really-really tough right now. Any activity on board is dangerous because of the slamming and unpredictable motion of the boat.

The boat surfs up to 32 knots and then slams into the trough. He is complaining that it is not as pleasant as it was 2 years ago

He has been thrown off his bunk several times and explain that next time around, he will have to build at his feet in the bunk...

"I am living like a wild boar!"

He is tired and if you read between the lines, he is basically saying that he does not know if he can withstand this level or uncomfort for the next few weeks... But it is re-assuring to see that there are other boats around. And it is motivating to look at others' boat speed.

A few more nuggets.

He is pondering aloud whether he should retract his foil or not; he has not done so, so far, but is wondering when it would make sense, to preserve the boat, and allow himself to take a breather.

He has thought of switching to the J3 but has not done so, so far... (so the guy is still more or less pedal to the metal right now...)

He is controling the wind strength variation by simply easing out the main sheet for now...

@Laurent  Love these translations even if only brief!

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I moved my next waypoint to the flat bridge of the adjusted AEZ.  I have also abandoned using the homemade HB polar file for now, as none of the lead boats seems able to get close.  I'm using what i believe is the same Polar file as Herman and have adjusted it to Cam @97% , Linked at 98.5, and Apivia and Bureau at 102% .

Thanks as ever Hitch. FWIW, the waypoint setting looks like a good choice.  Other weather projections I ran across say the next key point is about five days away, like your 'finish' times.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Quote of the day, JLC "The foiler can go at 35, but there is no guarantee how it will end at the end of the surf."  It is interesting that maybe the foilers are seeing huge spikes and huge lows as they go from fully foiling to only partially foiling or less, whereas the canter/centerboard config maybe sailing at more steady state speeds which could result in less dynamic loading.

On the subject of JLC, he is still posting impressive boats speed numbers, albeit at a bit of a loss in VMC.

Not sure how to adjust for performance loss for Linked and the damaged foil.  I'm guessing that if there is a gybe to port on Sunday, performance will change accordingly.

Also looks possible for Apivia and Bureau to cross paths on late Sunday (1900-2000 hrs). 

Vendee20.JPG

vendeetrackup.JPG

Thanks a lot for the routings!

One small comment from someone who has NEVER sailed in any of those areas: if I remember well some previous editions, some of the skippers explained that you do not want to sail across the shallower section North of the Kerguelen Islands. The large swells coming from the West are raising hellish seas (as if it was not already hellish enough!) when the sea floor raises so fast in this area.

What would happen to your routing if you included some kind of an exclusion zone around the Kerguelen Islands? Big difference on the other side once everybody get to "Mark3"?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Yes, the only successful solo rudder change unassisted I know of in the Vendee Globe was Conrad Humphrey... considering the boat was already significantly weakened Alex Thomson was probably wise to retire in cape town and not go challenge the southern oceans ...

hum hum... Romain Attanasio 2016 ...

16 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I'd call that quite the understatement: a 61 year old sailor in an old non foiling boat, after pausing for a 1 day SAR operation, is trailing the leader by only 400nm. And the new boats like Apivia were supposed to be made for the SO and "really really" show how fast they are in these conditions.

Its embarrassing.  If I were a sponsor for one of the new foilers I'd call VPLP/Verdier and ask them WTF is going on?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Laurent said:

One small comment from someone who has NEVER sailed in any of those areas: if I remember well some previous editions, some of the skippers explained that you do not want to sail across the shallower section North of the Kerguelen Islands. The large swells coming from the West are raising hellish seas (as if it was not already hellish enough!) when the sea floor raises so fast in this area.

What would happen to your routing if you included some kind of an exclusion zone around the Kerguelen Islands? Big difference on the other side once everybody get to "Mark3"?

I set a routing wave height limit of 6 meters.  The forecast Significant wave height in the area of the Kergs for Sunday is 4.8 meters.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

The Grand Chancery of the Legion of Honour may have something to say about this Frenchman one day.

How would he feel about that?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, minca3 said:

I'd call that quite the understatement: a 61 year old sailor in an old non foiling boat, after pausing for a 1 day SAR operation, is trailing the leader by only 400nm. And the new boats like Apivia were supposed to be made for the SO and "really really" show how fast they are in these conditions.

Its embarrassing.  If I were a sponsor for one of the new foilers I'd call VPLP/Verdier and ask them WTF is going on?

In that vein, any word on the concession for the SAR operation?  I wonder if the participating boats might be dead even with the leaders even now.  

Somebody mentioned publicity?  Interesting records this month.  Sail World says they broke theirs in November with .5 million unique visitors.

Tip and Shaft says the Virtual game has is up to "200,000 players per month against 20,000 before" 

Poor IJ. With that many routers and readers looking carefully at tracks, just as the teams are, they will be veeerry careful in their redress rulings.

Publicity.

5 hours ago, Barons said:

Does not see ultra critical, almost like it has been just removed with wrench and spanner, but who am I to judge. And there is suspicious silence about what has happened really. 

Because that is what he did. Disconnected the linkage after the damage. 

Wrench and spanner are the same thing aren't they? Just different dialects of English? :P

3 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Apparently the rudder was removed by the shore team in granger bay, ironically to stop speculation and photos :P
(Disclaimer, this is information passed on by someone who knows someone local, take with as much salt as you require).

That would have been visible on the web cams that were being posted above during his approach to CPT so unlikely because nobody posted a photo of it. 

2 hours ago, yl75 said:

Wouldnt have been tough for Alex to publish a pic of that rudder with fishing gear entangled  "in the cracks".

And for sure these pics and video footage exist -- if it is indeed what happened --.

So if none is published, it is close to acting as promoting speculations from the team ..

(like the boat was too fucked up to continue anyway)

Do you really think that it would have been a little 4kg breaking strain monofilament line that caused the damage? It would more likely be a lost set of long line floats and lines, solid and heavy enough that no part of the gear would have been able to accelerate and stay attached to the boat; much more likely the other way around i.e. a piece of the boat stayed attached to the fishing gear (if that is what is was).

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Jean Le Cam will receive food during the transfer of Kevin Escoffier to another ship, to compensate for that.

I realise that, just musing the possibility of how far they could go due to transfer issues. The ice gate helps, but potentially getting through a lot of food and extra water etc

56 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

That was GREAT PR. "we'll deign the keel in-house, we are a high-tech company, we know what we are doing"

24  hours after the start...

RE: Well I just bought one for my daughter, but beggars can't be choosers  (bushy7) - CougarBoard.com

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Yes. exaclty the same at Cape Horn, but they are all so desperate to cut the corner there and get the obligatory photo that they always risk it. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mad said:

I realise that, just musing the possibility of how far they could go due to transfer issues. The ice gate helps, but potentially getting through a lot of food and extra water etc

Fuel transfer to top off the tanks too - JLC may have expended quite a bit of fuel on station, plus now he needs to desalinate more water daily - they ought to float some jerries to him to make up the difference & ensure he has the margin of safety for the worse that's yet to come.

17 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I set a routing wave height limit of 6 meters.  The forecast Significant wave height in the area of the Kergs for Sunday is 4.8 meters.

But does the wave height model accurately show the effect of bathymetry? 

1 minute ago, littlechay said:

Yes. exaclty the same at Cape Horn, but they are all so desperate to cut the corner there and get the obligatory photo that they always risk it. 

In the old days when the Dutch made frequent voyages to the Java region, they also used it to get a firm fix on their nav so they don't end up wrecked in Australia and disappear into history.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Icedtea said:

Absolutely - the blind faith and love people have for the programme is baffling. 

Do NOT go to the ACA forums!!

Its fan boy central!!!:lol:

8 Health Benefits and Risks of Sports Superfandom - Men's Health Center -  Everyday Health

1 hour ago, stief said:
1 hour ago, Icedtea said:

That boat has proven nothing except its ability to break 

Happy hour there? Hope it's not an English pub with Peter at the next table.

Not sure if they're open or not, a lot of places are still locked down. Are the pubs open in Ireland Icedtea?............... not sure why I'm asking somebody with that as their login? :lol::lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

I put a WP midway between Taz and the AEZ and routed to that in an attempt to find a routing pinch point for the next WP. It seems to be the East end of the flat part of the AEZ with some options available at the West end. What do you think?

tas.PNG

8 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I put a WP midway between Taz and the AEZ and routed to that in an attempt to find a routing pinch point for the next WP. It seems to be the East end of the flat part of the AEZ with some options available at the West end. What do you think?

tas.PNG

That seems very sensible.  The flat section of the AEZ seems to essentially act as a corridor, since the routing will want to try and generate the shortest effect route.

With regard to the previous question on wave height and bathymetry. Forecast Sig Wave Height is more a function of windspeed and direction.

Vendee20.JPG

Not nearly as much time as I would like to follow this edition of the VG, but it is once again living up to its reputation. Bust seriously guys, two pages of posts to read trough on this forum each evening?

To add to the general confusion, my 2 cents on various bits.

Gutted for those who have had to give up.

The lack of pictures of Alex’s damaged rudder. Probably a PR decision, the repair story was kind of a positive one. Man breaks boat and fixes it. That is fine for the ATR and Hugo Boss brands. Alex looking sad next to a broken rudder, is not such a good story. Make sure there are no pics on the web to haunt you forever is an understandable strategy. But do not let me disturb the peace under your tinfoil hat if you want to go for a more conspiracy minded explanation.

On PBR, as said in the interview with Laurent Cordelle, a complete buckling type failure of then deck seems the only explanation consistent with Escoffier’s description of the events. Sounds like he is lucky to have made it into the liferaft with his survival suit. Rescue by Le Cam will become race legend and lore. Absolute top class seamanship there.

By the way, as much as I like king Jean, it seems unfair not to also mention the other non-foilers in the same pack: Benjamin Dutreux and Damien Seguin.

For the future, I am interested to see where the foiling heads. Right now it seems you have to have them if you want to win, but the chance of not making it round also increases significantly. Perhaps they will go the one design route with foils? May slow the very costly development for the top boats and remove the incentive to go super lightweight on them.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Miffy said:

I know it must be hard to trust the Brits from your vantage point - but I don't think ATR-VPLP-Charal-DMGmori engaged in some massive conspiracy about the keel box and keel design in sister boats and made some false information to disseminate into sister programs.

Give it a fucking break with that shit!!<_<

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

56 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Yes, but there is a big difference between Cape Horn and the Kerguelen Islands; as everybody know, there is a very strong magnetic field around Cape Horn and it is also well known that all skippers have a heart made of ferrite... :D

Charal has lost almost 1000 miles to Charlie since his restart.  I'm a little surprised/disappointed that he hasnt been pushing more.  Everytime I check on him, his pace seems to be slower then expected, given the conditions he appears to be in. 

Hopefully he can catch this LP, but I think he's missed it.   

1 hour ago, ant1 said:

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/17727/alan-roura-has-replaced-his-damaged-rudder

From what I have seen/read and what JLC said, the French navy ship is hoping to meet up somewhere to transfer Kevin. No idea of where or when they might try that, in conditions unlikely to be helpful. Even with a helicopter it would not be an easy or safe thing to do???

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cms said:

From what I have seen/read and what JLC said, the French navy ship is hoping to meet up somewhere to transfer Kevin. No idea of where or when they might try that, in conditions unlikely to be helpful. Even with a helicopter it would not be an easy or safe thing to do???

Supposed to happen this week-end.

I would have thought it would be a lot easier with a RIB.

Seb Simon's guess for JLC's redress

As for the bonuses that will benefit those who have lost their way - unfortunately this no longer concerns Sébastien Simon who has just given up - I think that Jean will be able to obtain 12 to 15 hours of credit , and he will undoubtedly have a bonus additional for the removal of Kevin in the coming days. This rescue did not make him change his weather system immediately; on the other hand, in the medium term, this delay could cause it to fall into a different weather pattern. The bonus cannot be perfect anyway. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Supposed to happen this week-end.

I would have thought it would be a lot easier with a RIB.

Safest might be for Kevin to suit back up, jump off and get picked by a Heli or RIB.

Not sure how to get the supplies onboard however....

• Like 1

@Bebmoumoute--in the paragraph above the one quoted, the trans gives this:

it should also be noted in passing that, despite the time lost to recover Kevin, he is still at the head of the group of pursuers . He's been going extremely well since he left, unlike some who seem to be slacking off or having technical problems - I'm thinking in particular of Boris Herrmann who was 2.5 knots slower than Jean on the last 24 hours.

No insult, right? I assumed Boris "slacking off",  would be better translated as "easing up".  

21 minutes ago, cms said:

i think he will ‘just’ jump overboard like crews do at the start then picked up by a RIB or the helicopter. 

5 minutes ago, stief said:

@Bebmoumoute--in the paragraph above the one quoted, the trans gives this:

No insult, right? I assumed Boris "slacking off",  would be better translated as "easing up".  

Il faut d’ailleurs noter au passage que, malgré le temps perdu à récupérer Kevin, il est toujours en tête du groupe de poursuivants. Il mène un train d’enfer depuis qu’il est reparti, à l’inverse de certains qui semblent lever le pied ou avoir des problèmes techniques - je pense notamment à Boris Herrmann qui a été 2,5 noeuds moins vite que Jean sur les dernières 24 heures.

"Easing off" would be my suggested translation for "lever le pied" (literally "take the foot off the pedal").

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mad said:

Do NOT go to the ACA forums!!

Its fan boy central!!!:lol:

8 Health Benefits and Risks of Sports Superfandom - Men's Health Center -  Everyday Health

Nah. It's not so bad. No worse than the crap one can step into here. ;-)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, stief said:

Good. Just checking the assumption. 

Google auto translate is very handy, I love being able to read stuff from all over the world, but its translations have a hard time conveying the meaning of certain expressions or cultural references... and cause much quiproquo

2 hours ago, stief said:

Somebody mentioned publicity?  Interesting records this month.  Sail World says they broke theirs in November with .5 million unique visitors.

Tip and Shaft says the Virtual game has is up to "200,000 players per month against 20,000 before" 

Poor IJ. With that many routers and readers looking carefully at tracks, just as the teams are, they will be veeerry careful in their redress rulings.

Publicity.

close to million if the notifier is to be believed on the VR site.

I agree that a RIB would be the ideal way to transfer. But will conditions allow? And if they don't, are we seriously saying a man should jump in the Southern Ocean and rely on others to pick him up. He has already done that (almost) accidentally, but personally I think the suggestion is crazy and very unlikely to be proposed by the race organisers.

On redress it has been stated that the IJ will wait till after the transfer to see if and how much time is lost in that.

2 hours ago, littlechay said:

Because that is what he did. Disconnected the linkage after the damage. 

Wrench and spanner are the same thing aren't they? Just different dialects of English? :P

entering dangerous territory here:lol:

1 minute ago, cms said:

I agree that a RIB would be the ideal way to transfer. But will conditions allow? In if they don't, are we seriously saying a man should jump in the Southern Ocean and rely on others to pick him up. He has already done that (almost) accidentally, but personally I think the suggestion is crazy and very unlikely to be proposed by the race organisers.

On redress it has been stated that the IJ will wait till after the transfer to see if and how much time is lost in that.

I've done it in some fairly fresh conditions. Definitely the safest procedure. Don't forget that the French vessel is engaged in fisher patrol.. The rib drivers will be shit hot at this sort of thing as that is how they transfer observers and fishery inspectors on a routine basis. 

P.S. AS I keep pointing out; they are no where near the southern ocean... and where the transfer takes place is north of the race track! 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, wick said:

Thanks for translating this. Some really good insights there. JLC doesn’t owe anything to anyone. 

Yes, thanks much for the translation. If you have the time, if you could just translate in just a summary form the interview with Pascal Bidgegorry from Fr. Tip and Shaft,  I will PM you the next time I am in your area of the world and buy you a drink. Or something.:)

6 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I've done it in some fairly fresh conditions. Definitely the safest procedure. Don't forget that the French vessel is engaged in fisher patrol.. The rib drivers will be shit hot at this sort of thing as that is how they transfer observers and fishery inspectors on a routine basis. 

P.S. AS I keep pointing out; they are no where near the southern ocean... and where the transfer takes place is north of the race track! 

Hey, I understand all that and accept what you say. But if the conditions do not allow transfer by RIB, that means the conditions should mean a transfer was dangerous, and unnecessarily so? Human life is the #1 priority surely.