• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

Charal has lost almost 1000 miles to Charlie since his restart.  I'm a little surprised/disappointed that he hasnt been pushing more.  Everytime I check on him, his pace seems to be slower then expected, given the conditions he appears to be in. 

Hopefully he can catch this LP, but I think he's missed it.   

1 hour ago, ant1 said:

Yes, the only successful solo rudder change unassisted I know of in the Vendee Globe was Conrad Humphrey... considering the boat was already significantly weakened Alex Thomson was probably wise to retire in cape town and not go challenge the southern oceans ...

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/17727/alan-roura-has-replaced-his-damaged-rudder

From what I have seen/read and what JLC said, the French navy ship is hoping to meet up somewhere to transfer Kevin. No idea of where or when they might try that, in conditions unlikely to be helpful. Even with a helicopter it would not be an easy or safe thing to do???

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cms said:

From what I have seen/read and what JLC said, the French navy ship is hoping to meet up somewhere to transfer Kevin. No idea of where or when they might try that, in conditions unlikely to be helpful. Even with a helicopter it would not be an easy or safe thing to do???

Supposed to happen this week-end.

I would have thought it would be a lot easier with a RIB.

Seb Simon's guess for JLC's redress

As for the bonuses that will benefit those who have lost their way - unfortunately this no longer concerns Sébastien Simon who has just given up - I think that Jean will be able to obtain 12 to 15 hours of credit , and he will undoubtedly have a bonus additional for the removal of Kevin in the coming days. This rescue did not make him change his weather system immediately; on the other hand, in the medium term, this delay could cause it to fall into a different weather pattern. The bonus cannot be perfect anyway. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Supposed to happen this week-end.

I would have thought it would be a lot easier with a RIB.

Safest might be for Kevin to suit back up, jump off and get picked by a Heli or RIB.

Not sure how to get the supplies onboard however....

• Like 1

@Bebmoumoute--in the paragraph above the one quoted, the trans gives this:

it should also be noted in passing that, despite the time lost to recover Kevin, he is still at the head of the group of pursuers . He's been going extremely well since he left, unlike some who seem to be slacking off or having technical problems - I'm thinking in particular of Boris Herrmann who was 2.5 knots slower than Jean on the last 24 hours.

No insult, right? I assumed Boris "slacking off",  would be better translated as "easing up".  

21 minutes ago, cms said:

i think he will ‘just’ jump overboard like crews do at the start then picked up by a RIB or the helicopter. 

5 minutes ago, stief said:

@Bebmoumoute--in the paragraph above the one quoted, the trans gives this:

No insult, right? I assumed Boris "slacking off",  would be better translated as "easing up".  

Il faut d’ailleurs noter au passage que, malgré le temps perdu à récupérer Kevin, il est toujours en tête du groupe de poursuivants. Il mène un train d’enfer depuis qu’il est reparti, à l’inverse de certains qui semblent lever le pied ou avoir des problèmes techniques - je pense notamment à Boris Herrmann qui a été 2,5 noeuds moins vite que Jean sur les dernières 24 heures.

"Easing off" would be my suggested translation for "lever le pied" (literally "take the foot off the pedal").

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mad said:

Do NOT go to the ACA forums!!

Its fan boy central!!!:lol:

8 Health Benefits and Risks of Sports Superfandom - Men's Health Center -  Everyday Health

Nah. It's not so bad. No worse than the crap one can step into here. ;-)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, stief said:

Good. Just checking the assumption. 

Google auto translate is very handy, I love being able to read stuff from all over the world, but its translations have a hard time conveying the meaning of certain expressions or cultural references... and cause much quiproquo

2 hours ago, stief said:

Somebody mentioned publicity?  Interesting records this month.  Sail World says they broke theirs in November with .5 million unique visitors.

Tip and Shaft says the Virtual game has is up to "200,000 players per month against 20,000 before" 

Poor IJ. With that many routers and readers looking carefully at tracks, just as the teams are, they will be veeerry careful in their redress rulings.

Publicity.

close to million if the notifier is to be believed on the VR site.

I agree that a RIB would be the ideal way to transfer. But will conditions allow? And if they don't, are we seriously saying a man should jump in the Southern Ocean and rely on others to pick him up. He has already done that (almost) accidentally, but personally I think the suggestion is crazy and very unlikely to be proposed by the race organisers.

On redress it has been stated that the IJ will wait till after the transfer to see if and how much time is lost in that.

2 hours ago, littlechay said:

Because that is what he did. Disconnected the linkage after the damage. 

Wrench and spanner are the same thing aren't they? Just different dialects of English? :P

entering dangerous territory here:lol:

1 minute ago, cms said:

I agree that a RIB would be the ideal way to transfer. But will conditions allow? In if they don't, are we seriously saying a man should jump in the Southern Ocean and rely on others to pick him up. He has already done that (almost) accidentally, but personally I think the suggestion is crazy and very unlikely to be proposed by the race organisers.

On redress it has been stated that the IJ will wait till after the transfer to see if and how much time is lost in that.

I've done it in some fairly fresh conditions. Definitely the safest procedure. Don't forget that the French vessel is engaged in fisher patrol.. The rib drivers will be shit hot at this sort of thing as that is how they transfer observers and fishery inspectors on a routine basis. 

P.S. AS I keep pointing out; they are no where near the southern ocean... and where the transfer takes place is north of the race track! 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, wick said:

Thanks for translating this. Some really good insights there. JLC doesn’t owe anything to anyone. 

Yes, thanks much for the translation. If you have the time, if you could just translate in just a summary form the interview with Pascal Bidgegorry from Fr. Tip and Shaft,  I will PM you the next time I am in your area of the world and buy you a drink. Or something.:)

6 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I've done it in some fairly fresh conditions. Definitely the safest procedure. Don't forget that the French vessel is engaged in fisher patrol.. The rib drivers will be shit hot at this sort of thing as that is how they transfer observers and fishery inspectors on a routine basis. 

P.S. AS I keep pointing out; they are no where near the southern ocean... and where the transfer takes place is north of the race track! 

Hey, I understand all that and accept what you say. But if the conditions do not allow transfer by RIB, that means the conditions should mean a transfer was dangerous, and unnecessarily so? Human life is the #1 priority surely.

3 minutes ago, cms said:

Hey, I understand all that and accept what you say. But if the conditions do not allow transfer by RIB, that means the conditions should mean a transfer was dangerous, and unnecessarily so? Human life is the #1 priority surely.

They'll know prior if the conditions allow it and plan on vectoring to conditions that DO allow it. This will also result in time given to JLC, hense why it hasn't been done yet. And they can do a RIB transfer in some pretty horrible conditions.

If anyone has a subscription to Le Figaro, this article https://www.lefigaro.fr/sports/vendee-globe-comment-la-fregate-nivose-prepare-la-delicate-operation-de-transbordement-d-escoffier-20201204 is supposed to describe how the French Navy is preparing for the pick up.

I would be happy to have a go at translating, but I am not giving any money to Le Figaro...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cms said:

Obviously if the conditions don't allow they won't do it. They are not idiots... However they will be able to operate in fairly impressive conditions and will no doubt time the intercept for a decent weather window.. it won't be a random time and place and just see what the weather is like at the moment. Rather the point will be chosen with wind and sea forecasts considered. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bebmoumoute said:

If anyone has a subscription to Le Figaro, this article https://www.lefigaro.fr/sports/vendee-globe-comment-la-fregate-nivose-prepare-la-delicate-operation-de-transbordement-d-escoffier-20201204 is supposed to describe how the French Navy is preparing for the pick up.

I would be happy to have a go at translating, but I am not giving any money to Le Figaro...

Driver gets all wino'd up. Slam Rib against Yes We Cam, Kevin jumps at the same time. Everyone cheers. More wine.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Looks like more fun with assumptions. I cringe at the number of times the racers and commentators say "Southern Ocean." I guess that's the casual phrase they like to use, and will continue to use until all nations agree.

Is there a better summary somewhere of the issue? this one seems OK, but I lost a better one last week.

It is the world's fourth largest ocean and the latest to be defined, having been accepted by a decision of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) in 2000, though the term has long been traditional among mariners. This change reflects the recent findings in oceanography of the importance of ocean currents.

Of the 68 member nations, 28 responded to the IHO's survey in 2000, and all responding members except Argentina agreed to define a new ocean. The name Southern Ocean was selected with 18 votes, beating the alternative Antarctic Ocean. Half of the votes were cast for ending the ocean at the imaginary 60 degrees south line of latitude (with no land interruptions at this latitude), with the other 14 votes cast for other definitions as far north as 35 degrees south.

https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispeedia/wpcd/wp/s/Southern_Ocean.htm

6 minutes ago, stief said:

Looks like more fun with assumptions. I cringe at the number of times the racers and commentators say "Southern Ocean." I guess that's the casual phrase they like to use, and will continue to use until all nations agree.

Is there a better summary somewhere of the issue? this one seems OK, but I lost a better one last week.

Back in 1989, Peyron and Lamazou went down 61° South... In his movie, Peyron says the temperature outside was -15°C and the water 0°C... and he had to spend several nights outside on watch...

He said "what a stupid game that is !"

Snapshot from the film.

Sans titre.png

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Back in 1989, Peyron and Lamazou went down 61° South... In his movie, Peyron says the temperature outside was -15°C and the water 0°C... and he had to spend several nights outside on watch...

He said "what a stupid game that is !"

Snapshot from the film.

I'll see your snapshot, and raise with the classic ice vid that TPG kindly dug up here :D

• Like 1
5 hours ago, stief said:

Agreed, about Episode 80. Was indeed relevant. Link here 

Will probably miss 81 (American Magic), since the latest Tip and Shaft is now up. Virtual Regatta VG, and the lesser known VG skips. Looks interesting

Ep. 80 was quite revealing and instructive; answered many questions raised in this thread and of mine. Except, Conrad Colman: his goals, message/purpose seems parallel to 11th Hour Racing's. 

If someone was contemplating a new boat for the 2024 VG I don't think you could go past a version of L'Occitane en Provence, it appears to have all the pluses, ie a fast boat that doesn't seen to slam through the waves. Just beef up all the weak points and you would be laughing.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Miffy said:

Fuel transfer to top off the tanks too - JLC may have expended quite a bit of fuel on station, plus now he needs to desalinate more water daily - they ought to float some jerries to him to make up the difference & ensure he has the margin of safety for the worse that's yet to come.

I'm sure it'll be adjusted properly, i was half taking the piss anyway.

First boat to finish with a passenger for 2/3rds of the trip;)

2 hours ago, tDot said:

Charal has lost almost 1000 miles to Charlie since his restart.  I'm a little surprised/disappointed that he hasnt been pushing more.  Everytime I check on him, his pace seems to be slower then expected, given the conditions he appears to be in. 

How's that armchair?

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Safest might be for Kevin to suit back up, jump off and get picked by a Heli or RIB.

Not sure how to get the supplies onboard however....

And for JLC's boat, don't need impact damage from a crew transfer.

j

3 hours ago, mad said:

Not sure if they're open or not, a lot of places are still locked down. Are the pubs open in Ireland Icedtea?............... not sure why I'm asking somebody with that as their login? :lol::lol:

IcedTea is a fucking excellent mixer with all kinds of things. 

Pubs are open, but only in a strict "no fun" form where you're time limited and you have to order a meal too. 

I'm actually London based and the pubs are "more open" there but still table service only etc. 

Pandemics are the enemy of pubs. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cms said:

1 hour ago, TPG said:

They'll know prior if the conditions allow it and plan on vectoring to conditions that DO allow it. This will also result in time given to JLC, hense why it hasn't been done yet. And they can do a RIB transfer in some pretty horrible conditions.

Having driven a couple or more crew transfers at speed and offshore, there are certain times when its safer to jump rather than risk damage to one or other boat, or worse, a crush injury.

These boats are very low in the water and very delicate in real world terms, the risk of damaging Jeans boat will be very high in everyone's mind.

10 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

IcedTea is a fucking excellent mixer with all kinds of things. 

Pubs are open, but only in a strict "no fun" form where you're time limited and you have to order a meal too. 

I'm actually London based and the pubs are "more open" there but still table service only etc. 

Pandemics are the enemy of pubs. 

Tier 3 for me, so nothing is open of any use....

Good point about the Iced tea as a base, though I'm not a fan of diluting things that much:P

2 hours ago, tDot said:

I have been watching Jérémie on the tracker, poor guy cannot find a break. The Doldrums were not kind, and he has been just a day late to make hay. I do not think it is for lack of trying or not pushing. He wants back in.

Hats off to him for his persistence and drive to keep at it. Many of lesser folks would have said fuck it by now.

He has nothing to prove, only the desire, combined with great ability. I never was a fan of him before, mostly because I never followed him, but I am now. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, stief said:

Should be some vid from Sam up soon. Here she says her team has recommended a safe max boat speed of 10kts, and cheerfully gives a bit more info about her rib damage. JLC still joking around too. This vid had the EN subtitles already enabled.

https://twitter.com/VendeeGlobeENG/status/1334948828655529984?s=20

These videos continue to be pretty remarkable,  informative, and entertaining. Used to seeing water pouring over the side and into the cockpit, here we have JLC and Isabelle with not a hair moving in the breeze; a stiff upper lip Sam Davies displaying her patched up ribs; and Kevin sitting out in the sunshine toasting the camera with a cop of Joe. The media coverage in the VG is good and timely, IMO. Not the VOR with an on board videographer, drones, etc. but between the selfie cams and the VG organization itself,  as well as SA, it has been quite good.  

Speaking of Iced Tea [sic[ and Lockdown, we are in fact in Lockdown here, and iced tea is my drink of choice. Have been doing takeout growlers from closed down brew pubs for neighbors as thank you's,; ski area up the road just opened with Covid restrictions (masks, social distancing in lift lines, etc.). So far it has worked. Snow is good, people behaving and cooperating. 

• Like 4

Been watching for more coverage of Sam, but had missed this. Bookmarked

Some news from Sam Davies (Initiatives-Cœur).

Sam Davies this afternoon, "Last night I finally managed to really sleep since my accident. That is a good thing. The consequences are that I am slowly returning to a normal human being and with that comes a bit more pain: a whiplash neck, more muscle aches to add to the sore ribs! My boat is also in pain - that is easy to see - but she is looking after me and we are slowly but surely getting closer to shelter and safety. The sun came out too which helps to ease the aches and pains - I went and sat outside in the warm sun. And then suddenly found myself in floods of tears - and this is a bit weird for me who never cries to deal with all these emotions. I wasn’t even sure why I was crying - whether it was sadness for my boat and for my place in this race, or relief that my boat and I are safe? Or a mix of all these emotions? I’ve always felt that it’s stupid to cry when you are alone on your boat - nobody’s going to help you or hug you or reassure you so it’s pretty much a waste of time and energy. But at that particular moment I had no control over these emotions. I leant on the coach roof and looked out and there, right there, really close, unusually close, was the most beautiful albatross I have seen, gliding past silently and slowly. He was so close. Normally the albatrosses keep their distance but this was different, as if he could feel my emotion and wanted to help. He stayed close and gave me a wonderful display of effortless flight that was a welcome distraction. They say that albatrosses have the souls of sailors of the past and I can well believe that. I feel like I am being escorted to safety by these amazing creatures and I am grateful for their concern."

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20802/sam-davies-the-tears-came

• Like 13

I can relate to the last line...

Louis Burton's attacking force seems relentless, his wife Servane noting today on the Vendée Live English programme, "Louis never stops surprising me, but he has a mind of steel. When he went south he asked me, 'will you still love me if I screw up?'"

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

I set a routing wave height limit of 6 meters.  The forecast Significant wave height in the area of the Kergs for Sunday is 4.8 meters.

By comparison, the virtual fleet is routing aggressively south of Kerguelen.

3 hours ago, stief said:

The definition that I prefer is the position of Antarctic convergence ... A natural boundary. The circumpolar current, more or less, circulates along the north edge of it with a few excursions north into the major oceans and is not as well defined. But either way as you say Southern Ocean is oft misused. lossy-page1-800px-Antarctic-Convergence-

Antarctic Convergence - Wikipedia

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, littlechay said:

The definition that I prefer is the position of Antarctic convergence ... A natural boundary. The circumpolar current, more or less, circulates along the north edge of it with a few excursions north into the major oceans and is not as well defined. But either way as you say Southern Ocean is oft misused. lossy-page1-800px-Antarctic-Convergence-

Could we kind agree on the thought that 'Southern Ocean' to the common folks means the southern portions of the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans?  For common nomenclature?  I get it, really, thanks be the ice limit they are not really sailing the "Southern Ocean" or "Antarctic Ocean".  It is just hard to keep saying "Wow, Burton is doing amazing work sailing the Southern Atlantic ...no wait, Southern Indian ocean as he tries to take the lead".  Lots of letters to type.

South is the operative word to the unwashed masses, Ocean is what they are on...Just a thought.  I try to honor this by calling it pseudo but that falls flat.  Ya got racers calling it the Southern Ocean...call a spade a spade...for the masses.

2 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Could we kind agree on the thought that 'Southern Ocean' to the common folks means the southern portions of the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans?  For common nomenclature?  I get it, really, thanks be the ice limit they are not really sailing the "Southern Ocean" or "Antarctic Ocean".  It is just hard to keep saying "Wow, Burton is doing amazing work sailing the Southern Atlantic ...no wait, Southern Indian ocean as he tries to take the lead".  Lots of letters to type.

South is the operative word to the unwashed masses, Ocean is what they are on...Just a thought.  I try to honor this by calling it pseudo but that falls flat.  Ya got racers calling it the Southern Ocean...call a spade a spade...for the masses.

You can call it what you like :D 

South of something is relative.. Where I come from a fair chunk of what the "common folk" call the Southern Ocean if actaully way up NORTH.... and I don't come from a place in the Southern Ocean... I'll keep correcting when I can be bothered :unsure:

9 minutes ago, littlechay said:

You can call it what you like :D 

South of something is relative.. Where I come from a fair chunk of what the "common folk" call the Southern Ocean if actaully way up NORTH.... and I don't come from a place in the Southern Ocean... I'll keep correcting when I can be bothered :unsure:

Fair enough..pseudo SO it is and be damn what those racers call it  ;-)  

At least it is still an ocean of some kind...or is it?  (/j)

3 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

At least it is still an ocean of some kind...or is it?  (/j)

It's wet and big enough to get lost in .... so I reckon it's an Ocean ;)

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, littlechay said:

It's wet and big enough to get lost in .... so I reckon it's an Ocean ;)

By that definition a horny fat chick is an Ocean?

Sorry to any ladies reading this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, littlechay said:

The definition that I prefer is the position of Antarctic convergence ... A natural boundary. The circumpolar current, more or less, circulates along the north edge of it with a few excursions north into the major oceans and is not as well defined. But either way as you say Southern Ocean is oft misused. 

Thanks Chay. Natural fluid boundary, fluctuating somewhere around 60ºS makes sense.

No wonder a meeting of  internationals had trouble agreeing.

(sailor using "Southern Ocean" 4 times--with preloaded EN subtitles--misuse question solved. Thanks)

[way OT] Y'all have virtual dock parties too in this lockdown time? Just finished ours. This tweet from an old colleague was a hit:

One of my favourite things of today was seeing the anti-mask protester holding a sign that said, “Freedom is essential” waiting for the walk light to cross the street.

back to the bottle. Cheers.

[/endOT]

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Laurent said:

A few more nuggets.

He is pondering aloud whether he should retract his foil or not; he has not done so, so far, but is wondering when it would make sense, to preserve the boat, and allow himself to take a breather.

Bestaven's Maitre Coq IV has 'L' not 'C' foils so CAN'T retract as much.

I wonder if this foil 'constraint' starts to appear as an issue during long periods of heavy going? 

9 hours ago, Miffy said:
9 hours ago, littlechay said:

Yes. exaclty the same at Cape Horn, but they are all so desperate to cut the corner there and get the obligatory photo that they always risk it. 

In the old days when the Dutch made frequent voyages to the Java region, they also used it to get a firm fix on their nav so they don't end up wrecked in Australia and disappear into history.

"In the old days when the Dutch made frequent voyages to the Java region, they also used it to get a firm fix on their nav so they don't end up wrecked in Australia  and disappear into history."

Mif actually NOT correct and in the spirit of thread accuracy. :D

DR was from Capetown NOT Kerguelens and for over 130 years before accurate LONGITUDE came into being and then another 40 years BEFORE Kerguelens came into play.

Key dates.

- First European and Dutchman to hit Western Australian continental shelf islands was Hartog in 1616.

- Kerguelens NOT discovered and charted until 1772 by de Kerguelen-Trémarec, a Breton-French navigator.

- NO accurate longitude until Harrison's clock in 1730. This enables Kerguelens to be accurately charted.

- This 1611 Browuer route to Java via the Southern Ocean was the SECOND route to Java. See chart below. 

East India Company Hartog was the first to compulsory use this southern  Brouwer Route discovered in 1611 5 years previously.  It halved the time from Europe to SE Asia utilising the Roaring Forties and lesser Great Circle longitude distance. 

A sighting of either Amsterdam Island or Saint Paul Island in SE Indian Ocean was the only cue other than DR for vessels to change direction and head north. However as indicated above with no accurate way to determine longitude, many crashed.  Hartog was lucky and didn't, landing to have a quick look and leave behind a pewter to mark it.

893784193_images-2020-01-18T130844_462.jpeg.72b158e058c4944b5cb729d48d40ad15 (1).jpeg

Hartog is credited as the second European to sight Australia. The first 10 years before and 164 years before Cook, was Luís Vaz de Torres  (Galician and Portuguese) in 1606 and that was tip of Queensland coast, not Western Australia.

1241030863_images-2020-05-02T092657_413.jpeg.fa180bde8c35b983bb85ac75d5050871 (1).jpeg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Miffy said:

What am I missing? Didn’t the Dutch pioneer the Brouwer route to get to the Java interests? And missing the fix risked running into Australia?

Check dates. Brouwer second route to Java. First landing. Then charting and discovery of Kerguelens so it could be used for DR. Longitude fix predating Kerguelens DR fix by 40 years.

You are only 156 years out from first landing in 1616. :lol:

25 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I didn’t say discovery date or first or last - my impression was that it was used by the Dutch to get to their colonial grounds and when they missed the islands? They wrecked. 

"..it was used by the Dutch to get to their colonial grounds.." 

How could they USE Kerguelens as a route DR fix when EXISTENCE of Kerguelens NOT known let alone their accurate position NOT possible to be known as longitude fix was still 120 years in the future.

In fact discovery of the Kerguelens by the French in 1772 only pre dated the huge Dutch East India Company itself being DISOLVED only 25 years later and just after the Dutch Anglo War.

Kerguelens were NEVER used in the establishment of and navigation/operation of this Southern Ocean or Brouwer Route and the company mandatory route from 1616. Cape Town was their last known DR fix.

22 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Ahhhh I see what you mean - guess I shouldn’t trust the Dutch stories about great navigation secret routes

The first Dutch route wasn't their own but copied from the Portuguese via the coast of Africa, Mauritius and Ceylon to Java. The second using the SO their own and driven by a commercial imperative.

The best secret is Australian school children being taught Englishman Cook discovered Australia in 1770.

Seems Torres 159 years and Hartog 154 years strolling around the place beforehand was a Anglo inconvenience. :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Uh oh... Not a good night for Burton in his southern lane. Sched shows lost almost 63Nm and last 4hr speed no good... Some kind of problem, hope just tmpBurton.thumb.jpg.39373a52835c08acc153a51438390f62.jpg

No news in his channels or race website yet

big round up at about 20:30 UTC then low numbers ever since.

5 hours ago, Varan said:

I can relate to the last line...

Louis Burton's attacking force seems relentless, his wife Servane noting today on the Vendée Live English programme, "Louis never stops surprising me, but he has a mind of steel. When he went south he asked me, 'will you still love me if I screw up?'"

Small family trivia: Servane Escoffier, Louis Burton's wife is the first cousin of Kevin Escoffier....

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

big round up at about 20:30 UTC then low numbers ever since.

Indeed, in big seas... MTraffic anyone ? ?

30 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ogh fuck it better not be... he is my pick after Jerem went pear shaped

His strong wild bull has not gained at all indeed... He's lost some big ground (+700Nm from the 3K milestone restart delta).

JeremieBull.thumb.jpg.74bb5a85a4fc3d1e45ee72ad1bbbfc25.jpg

Feel really sorry too man, a very tough RTW for him trailing offside at the back

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Bestaven's Maitre Coq IV has 'L' not 'C' foils so CAN'T retract as much.

I wonder if this foil 'constraint' starts to appear as an issue during long periods of heavy going? 

The way Yannick presented the option during the conversation, I understood it as something he was pondering to preserve the boat (and himself). Something like: "should I retract the foil? Yeah, sure I would not go as fast but maybe the slamming would diminish a notch (and maybe I could move around and sleep, without flying through the boat...)" type of mindset.

14 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Not good unless he has to drop the main or address an issue with the main?

Not sure, looks like he's facing the 6.mt swell, but no idea about the real cause, could be anything (minor or mayor). He's in daylight allready

35 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Not good unless he has to drop the main or address an issue with the main?

AIS will show COG so that implies that he is hove too or fore reaching with small sails. Could well be the best position to fix something .

Love the idea of this race and have followed the last few races but I just can't understand how corporations can throw millions of dollars at what is basically a coin flip of a result every four years.

If you want to improve this race make it mandatory to install the tech to at least post mortem ID what you hit.  Doesn't have to prevent it but at least ID what all these "UFOs" are.

This race will die if it turns into Russian roulette.

• Like 2