Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, NZK said:

I'm intrigued how a rescue/transfer situation would play out if it were a non-French sailor in Kevin's position. 

As I understand it the French Navy are the only ones in that area as they patrol around the Kereguelens. As Kevin is French then there is likely a 'duty of care' for the French Navy to provide assistance to a French citizen (?) but this must come at an operating cost to the Nivose Frigate and whatever else is down the line as part of Kevins repatriation.

Would it be this simple to arrange a collection and transfer if it were one of the non-French skippers? I'd imagine there would need to be discussions at a diplomatic level between France and the country of whichever skipper needed the rescue to make an agreement about the costs of the manouvre and a timeline for transfer off the French Navy vessel??? Hopefully this would all be very quickly handled as a formality but maybe not?? Theoretically the person in Kevin's position is no longer in 'imminent danger'as he's aboard another vessel so this might blur the lines on what responsibilities/obligations government/state operated vessels are subject too and also those of the country of the skipper are...

Or have the VR management got funds and plans in place for all of these eventualities??

NB - this is NOT some veiled dig at the 'Frenchness' of the VG, i'm just curious about the logistics and realities of extracting skippers from these situations....

Since the French Navy sent up a helicopter just to get some nice shots of Alex I think it's a pretty safe bet they'd assist in a transfer of any skipper if they were in the zone. Great PR for them as much as anything else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, b3nharris said:

Since the French Navy sent up a helicopter just to get some nice shots of Alex I think it's a pretty safe bet they'd assist in a transfer of any skipper if they were in the zone. Great PR for them as much as anything else. 

I think they were there for Armel!! Hugo Boss just a bit slicker with the PR. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, terrafirma said:

You wouldn't want to be any near Hawaii ATM with that ship dropping 1900 containers overboard after a stack collapse in bad weather. The same boat had already suffered a stack collapse not long before this incident. A recovery effort is underway but how many of the 1900 do they recover? 

 

Live target practice for Navy artillery and aviation. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I and many I'm sure don't use follow button.

Not unique, incl non signed SA members. Take count now and come back in a week.

Never used it, wasn’t even really aware of it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mad said:

Never used it, wasn’t even really aware of it. 

I'm a noob but long time reader, and I did not know either

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Don't see any diesel top up for watermaking 2 X persons ......OR with minimum fuel carry rule, JLC not unhappy some of that burned up???

Could all be in those two bag transferred. How much diesel usage are talking about for 3-4 days? 5-10 liter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Australia spent $200 million looking for wreckage for MH370 & they were all dead. 

Scanas you can't be serious? It's about getting answers for those people and finding out what happened? Hardly worthy of a comparison in these threads IMO. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

Could all be in those two bag transferred. How much diesel usage are talking about for 3-4 days? 5-10 liter?

 

1L of diesel produces 2-4 kWh electricity. 1 kWh electricity produces 50 - 100+ liters of water. Not much was used.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Of course they would do it, as the South Africans or the Chileans would.

I didn't mean to suggest they simply wouldn't assist - more of a question about the possible extra complexities involved in a 'multi-national' rescue.

I realise there are probably precedents set from previous marine rescues and even legislature for international collaboration but at the time of my post I was sat in bed with a cup of coffee and spilling my query onto this thread was the simplest laziest option...

Next question - I wonder what food was supplied to JLC by the Navy? Do we expect a Navy Frigate to have stores of freeze-dried or is it more likely canned/preserved goods. JLC might have some confit duck and paté to go with his next bottle of red...

Link to post
Share on other sites

my guess is they (french navy) would do the same for any other nationality, because VG is "french child" and I imagine it's kind of national interest and pride as well that it goes smoothly plus PR not only for VG but french state - how many states do project their power so far away from its domicile territory? not many I guess, and in this case for good, peaceful reason

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NZK said:

I'm intrigued how a rescue/transfer situation would play out if it were a non-French sailor in Kevin's position. 

As I understand it the French Navy are the only ones in that area as they patrol around the Kereguelens. As Kevin is French then there is likely a 'duty of care' for the French Navy to provide assistance to a French citizen (?) but this must come at an operating cost to the Nivose Frigate and whatever else is down the line as part of Kevins repatriation.

Would it be this simple to arrange a collection and transfer if it were one of the non-French skippers? I'd imagine there would need to be discussions at a diplomatic level between France and the country of whichever skipper needed the rescue to make an agreement about the costs of the manouvre and a timeline for transfer off the French Navy vessel??? Hopefully this would all be very quickly handled as a formality but maybe not?? Theoretically the person in Kevin's position is no longer in 'imminent danger'as he's aboard another vessel so this might blur the lines on what responsibilities/obligations government/state operated vessels are subject too and also those of the country of the skipper are...

Or have the VR management got funds and plans in place for all of these eventualities??

NB - this is NOT some veiled dig at the 'Frenchness' of the VG, i'm just curious about the logistics and realities of extracting skippers from these situations....

2 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Of course they would do it, as the South Africans or the Chileans would.

 

42 minutes ago, NZK said:

I didn't mean to suggest they simply wouldn't assist - more of a question about the possible extra complexities involved in a 'multi-national' rescue.

I realise there are probably precedents set from previous marine rescues and even legislature for international collaboration but at the time of my post I was sat in bed with a cup of coffee and spilling my query onto this thread was the simplest laziest option...

Next question - I wonder what food was supplied to JLC by the Navy? Do we expect a Navy Frigate to have stores of freeze-dried or is it more likely canned/preserved goods. JLC might have some confit duck and paté to go with his next bottle of red...

 

"I'mI'm intrigued how a rescue/transfer situation would play out if it were a non-French s ailor  in Kevin's position." 

Google is your friend. In the time it took you to write that paragraph you would have found this.

International Maritime Organisation (IMO) and Search and Rescue (SAR) Convention

South Africa responsible for area Kevin went down and co-ordinated with VG RO (having the closest assets in the area) and one or more commercial vessels. With RO/competitor broadband comms their communication with JLC less than normal.

Coordination for pickup of Kevin from JLC then involving Sth Africa and adjoining SAR area 'Reunion' a French territory and also having navel assets in that SAR area. Would have occured anyway but race a French institution so put it to top of their Naval priority list. :D

So by International Treaty/Law.

1. Nationality of the rescued person or vessel flag irrelevant.

2. Any rescuer supplies/assistance to enable continuation of safe passage would apply for anyone, nationality irrelevant.

images - 2020-12-06T214844.241.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any news from Ruyant lately ? He seems quiet.
Burton had a tough moment with his autopilots. Dalin gliding along.
Behind this 3 interesting battle, Bestaven Seguin, LeCam, of which two gets time allowance I reckon..
And will Charal end up in  the top ten ?
It is not a boring VG so far.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, steinbrenner said:

how many states do project their power so far away from its domicile territory? not many I guess, and in this case for good, peaceful reason

"how many states do project their power so far away from its domicile territory? not many I guess.."

Lots actually and not just Frances' territories in the 3 oceans. Brits still have lots of Overseas Territories.

Anguilla
Bermuda
British Antarctic Territory
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Montserrat
Pitcairn Islands
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Scanas you can't be serious? It's about getting answers for those people and finding out what happened? Hardly worthy of a comparison in these threads IMO. 

If $200m spent on a wild goose chase was worth it, $1m for saving Bullimore’s life was too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Lots actually and not just Frances' territories in the 3 oceans. Brits still have lots of Overseas Territories.

Difference being that the French ones are actually part of the republique whereas the UK ones are treated as poor relations with their citizens getting limited rights in the ‘mother’ country. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snowden said:

The ‘not to be used for navigation’ police went a bit far here. Might have to sticker up my school atlas as well in case anyone gets ideas...

It is reproduced by some parties in a interactive format. 

I can then well imagine some Nitendo Navigator's using it for fucking something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Snowden said:

Difference being that the French ones are actually part of the republique whereas the UK ones are treated as poor relations with their citizens getting limited rights in the ‘mother’ country.

Brits leasing large slab of BIOT to the US (Diego Garcia) and kicking out inhabitants the Chargosians the worst example. 

Some might say people actually in the mother country have limited rights these days with their Trump 'look a like' administration. :D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KlaasWiersma said:

Any news on Charlie? 10 knots in 20 kn wind? Strange gybe, sailing dead downwind for a while...

Normal after a wipe out. Or when doing a short repair or check on rudder systems etc. If it continuous it can point to a real problem instead of a nuisance.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LeoV said:

Normal after a wipe out. Or when doing a short repair or check on rudder systems etc. If it continuous it can point to a real problem instead of a nuisance.
 

might have something to do with what was just mentioned in english live, slowing to stay behind the front or speeding up to stay ahead gaining miles but potentially breaking boat? not sure, just my 2c

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

"how many states do project their power so far away from its domicile territory? not many I guess.."

Lots actually and not just Frances' territories in the 3 oceans. Brits still have lots of Overseas Territories.

Anguilla
Bermuda
British Antarctic Territory
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Montserrat
Pitcairn Islands
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands

of course GB being one of them, actually I think british navy would do the same for the same reasons except VG being british french child

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

So by International Treaty/Law.

1. Nationality of the rescued person or vessel flag irrelevant.

2. Any rescuer supplies/assistance to enable continuation of safe passage would apply for anyone, nationality irrelevant.

 

All gets a bit muddier when you consider Kevin had already been rescued and was no-longer in harms way and that safe passage doesn’t necessarily mean sail passed hundreds of safe ports to get back to France.  

Also the fact that the boats are breaking the law by failing to maintain a proper watch.

The above being said I’m pretty sure any 1st world Navy if in the area world render the assistance provided by the French and if Kevin hadn’t been picked up out of his raft you would have seen commercial vessels joining the search if there were any in the area.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rafael said:

Gosh, I love this forum & thread (what a shame there's only 30 ppl following it...)

Agree, but The real cuestions are..., Is he naked balls a la southern fresh?... With a sturdy warm wool undie?... or with a Christmas Thong...

20 hours ago, Varan said:

Gosh, who picked out his wardrobe, Rimas? Interesting discussion about currents. Thanks. 

 

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Putting aside his english advantage, Boris's contributions are 'media' engagement, first class.

His Xmas 'jumper' also sets him apart. :D  

He saved 998 grams by not taking Xmas stuff but combining red color and wool jersey. A thong weighs 48 grams so it is not a great weight penalty. Boris is saving it for a private cam surprise for his girlfriend. :D

Now a crisp, color popping video. He seems in a better mood today. Crocs, chocolate, orange, yay!! A first coffee cup? :o

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, steinbrenner said:

btw, where are they taking Kevin, I understood Nivose is stationed on Kerguelen or? Does he have to wait for the shift change or some supply vessel/aircraft etc.? Any info so far?

La Reunion was mentioned

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NZK said:

I'm intrigued how a rescue/transfer situation would play out if it were a non-French sailor in Kevin's position. 

As I understand it the French Navy are the only ones in that area as they patrol around the Kereguelens. As Kevin is French then there is likely a 'duty of care' for the French Navy to provide assistance to a French citizen (?) but this must come at an operating cost to the Nivose Frigate and whatever else is down the line as part of Kevins repatriation.

Would it be this simple to arrange a collection and transfer if it were one of the non-French skippers? I'd imagine there would need to be discussions at a diplomatic level between France and the country of whichever skipper needed the rescue to make an agreement about the costs of the manouvre and a timeline for transfer off the French Navy vessel??? Hopefully this would all be very quickly handled as a formality but maybe not?? Theoretically the person in Kevin's position is no longer in 'imminent danger'as he's aboard another vessel so this might blur the lines on what responsibilities/obligations government/state operated vessels are subject too and also those of the country of the skipper are...

Or have the VR management got funds and plans in place for all of these eventualities??

NB - this is NOT some veiled dig at the 'Frenchness' of the VG, i'm just curious about the logistics and realities of extracting skippers from these situations....

Two points in there (although I hv forgotten all the acronyms)

1/ Per  International regulations France is responsible for sea rescue and runs the MRCC for a very large chunk of sea water between those of South Africa and those of Australia -due to Reunion + Kerguelen/Crozet being French.

2/ Nivôse and a few other boats ply these waters on a permanent basis, both for policing and providing assistance to the sizeable fishing fleets (from any country) in this area.   Boarding ships  via RIBS is their routine. (more unlicensed boats chase than assistance)

I guess cost of that specific operation is marginal.

Edit: I see that a lot of this has already been covered here ..... anyway .....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NZK said:

I'm intrigued how a rescue/transfer situation would play out if it were a non-French sailor in Kevin's position. 

As I understand it the French Navy are the only ones in that area as they patrol around the Kereguelens. As Kevin is French then there is likely a 'duty of care' for the French Navy to provide assistance to a French citizen (?) but this must come at an operating cost to the Nivose Frigate and whatever else is down the line as part of Kevins repatriation.

Would it be this simple to arrange a collection and transfer if it were one of the non-French skippers? I'd imagine there would need to be discussions at a diplomatic level between France and the country of whichever skipper needed the rescue to make an agreement about the costs of the manouvre and a timeline for transfer off the French Navy vessel??? Hopefully this would all be very quickly handled as a formality but maybe not?? Theoretically the person in Kevin's position is no longer in 'imminent danger'as he's aboard another vessel so this might blur the lines on what responsibilities/obligations government/state operated vessels are subject too and also those of the country of the skipper are...

Or have the VR management got funds and plans in place for all of these eventualities??

NB - this is NOT some veiled dig at the 'Frenchness' of the VG, i'm just curious about the logistics and realities of extracting skippers from these situations....

 

As far as the Vendée Globe goes they French Navy will take them.
The VG is owned and organized by SAEM Vendée, the company president is Yves Auvinet.
The majority of that company is AFAIK owned by the Département Vendée where Yves Auvinet is the elected President of the Council.

The VG has such a high profile in France and worldwide. It seems unlikely that the French Navy will leave a French tourism bureau hanging dry. Doing the transfer is good PR and that in turn is an argument why other nations in the region should do the same.

In some of his talks and interviews Boris Herrmann said that due to Corona there was a lot of additional political horse trading required on all levels to get this VG and before that the Vendée-Arctique to the start line. Rescue and potential exposure to Covid requiring the isolation of the rescue crews being a hot topic. (A major reason for skipper quarantine and testing.) Having a navy ship patrol the part of their operational region where the race passes through is easy enough.
 

Quote

SAEM Vendée
The SAEM Vendée is a semi-public company created in 2003 which organised the Vendée Globe, ocean racing which takes place every 4 years. The head office is located in La Roche sur Yon.

The shareholding is composed of local communities: Council of the Vendée, City of Les Sables d’Olonne, Regional Council and other 32 companies from the Vendée economics area.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, troll99 said:

 

He saved 998 grams by not taking Xmas stuff but combining red color and wool jersey. A thong weighs 48 grams so it is not a great weight penalty. Boris is saving it for a private cam surprise for his girlfriend  wife*(FIFY). :D

* Birte Lorenzen-Herrmann https://www.yacht.de/schlagworte/tag/Birte-Lorenzen-Herrmann.html (paywalled but anyway)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steinbrenner said:
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

"how many states do project their power so far away from its domicile territory? not many I guess.."

Lots actually and not just Frances' territories in the 3 oceans. Brits still have lots of Overseas Territories.

Anguilla
Bermuda
British Antarctic Territory
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Montserrat
Pitcairn Islands
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands

of course GB being one of them, actually I think british navy would do the same for the same reasons except VG being british french child

"..actually I think british navy would do the same for the same  reasons.." 

Actually NONE of those British Overseas Territories are within a UK Global Maritime Search and Rescue Area and NEITHER is ANY part of the VG race course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jules Verne Trophy  is steaming along the Vendee Globe Fleet rigth now.
1893934832_JulesVernetrophee.PNG.20036ae4c6b796917286a19ca0682fbb.PNG
Sodebo is near to Didac Costa, One planet one ocean and Groupe Sétin avec Manuel Cousin.
1242940089_Didaccosta.PNG.b10b8ea809fd95b28cb3f5bf391ca6d2.PNG

JVT is sailing without Franck Gammas in the Edmond the Rothschild Ultime
They withdraw because of damage on one foil due to hitting an UFO.... What's new...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:
3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

So by International Treaty/Law.

1. Nationality of the rescued person or vessel flag irrelevant.

2. Any rescuer supplies/assistance to enable continuation of safe passage would apply for anyone, nationality irrelevant.

 

All gets a bit muddier when you consider Kevin had already been rescued and was no-longer in harms way and that safe passage doesn’t necessarily mean sail passed hundreds of safe ports to get back to France.  

All gets a bit muddier when you consider Kevin  had already been rescued and was no-longer in harms way.."

Not muddier at all as they follow the SAR convention. 

Most rescues on the high seas is by a non SAR vessel (as they simply don't have the assets there) AND involve transfer to another vessel in a better position to repatriate them somewhere. For instance Central East Pacific you can just about be guaranteed a fishing boat then freighter transfer. 

The exceptions are where there is no or a small amount of commercial traffic that necessites a SAR vessel. For instance the southern sections of Australia, NZ and Chile's SAR areas that capture this race course, is where naval assets often have to be deployed. There is no one else.

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Also the fact that the boats are breaking the law by failing to maintain a proper watch.

Irrelevant. In fact ignore a distress call using that basis and someone dies you are in deep deep shit. 

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

The above being said I’m pretty sure any 1st world Navy if in the area world render the assistance provided by the French and if Kevin hadn’t been picked up out of his raft you would have seen commercial vessels joining the search if there were any in the area.

Already covered in post you replied to.

Maybe read up on that IMO cite. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steinbrenner said:

btw, where are they taking Kevin, I understood Nivose is stationed on Kerguelen or? Does he have to wait for the shift change or some supply vessel/aircraft etc.? Any info so far?

There is no airstrip in the Kerguelens, bugger all people and it still 900 mile away. My guess Nivose will head north to its base in Reunion unless there happens to be a scheduled Kerguelen supply ship. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jack_sparrow said:

There is no airstrip in the Kerguelens and it still 900 mile away . My guess Nivose will head north to its base in Reunion unless there happens to be a scheduled Kerguelen supply ship. 

Nivôse is heading back to La Réunio, should be there in about a week.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Qingdaosog said:

Wont she hang around till the main flotilla is through the area safely. Surely no coincidence that she was in the area last Vendee Globe and this one...

Ship changeover probably happening. They are stationed in that postcode in summer chasing illegal fishers. My guess every 4 years their timing/position is very precise along a certain band of latitude. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ant1 said:

Awesome :) Smooth as butter transfer, Jean Le Cam got extra provisions, couldn't have gone any better...

Now the question is... how's the chef aborad the Nivose Kevin ?

The real question is, which of JLC's little troll dolls did Kevin like best?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Frédéric Barbe the captain of the Nivôse, wrote: "Kevin is in great shape, he is going to enjoy a hot shower. We are heading for Reunion Island. It is the start of beautiful day."

Nivôse is a Floréal-class frigate which has 84 sailors on board and its main missions are the surveillance of maritime areas under French sovereignty in the Indian Ocean (Reunion, Mayotte, the French Southern and Antarctic Territories) and the fight against illicit activities at sea. It is based in Port-des-Galets, on the west coast of Réunion island, Nivôse is 93.5 meters long, 14 meters wide and has a displacement of 2,600 tonnes.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/233654/Vendee-Globe-Day-28-Abandoning-trio-in-Cape-Town

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ant1 said:

The routing and the buildup inside yes we cam 12 hours before the transfer

 

Very interesting vid - as K E is speaking in front of main display the right side of the screen seems to be showing performance target speed %. Wish I could read the Fr labels on the rest of that column. Also, when the vid shows the blkhd panel covered with electronics, there is a B&G rudder angle indicator mounted to the blkhd - what ever would that be doing??

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ship changeover probably happening. They are stationed in that postcode in summer chasing illegal fishers. My guess every 4 years their timing/position is very precise along a certain band of latitude. :D

Would be very strange if this were NOT the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Meantime Le Cam's request for additional food to replace that required to feed shipwrecked Escoffier was granted and the 61 year old Le Cam who enjoys fine food took a bag containing dry crisprolls, salted butter and fine Henaff Breton pate.

Sail-World

Edit: no mention of wine, but you know it was included.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Burton and Seguin are able to sail a lot lower course than those around them, and also appear determined to experience the worst this low has to offer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, C. Spackler said:

The RIB clearly sent over a couple large bags of supplies before Kevin jumped overboard. 

No they didn't.
I liked this photo.
567509689_Kevinescofier.PNG.615e3db831779b3a12aff27b098f0461.PNG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Burton and Seguin are able to sail a lot lower course than those around them, and also appear determined to experience the worst this low has to offer.

not a coincidence that they sailing the proven boats there

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BozoC said:

1851228013_JLCBags.thumb.jpg.e2b33d1934717344149b5b6c67e822f6.jpg

The sun is very low in this picture it's fake news.
Gentlemen: this is only a yachtrace not presidential elections.
383906346_Kevinescofier.PNG.2536157d7e2041918c6ae1b2e9cb279e.PNG
Here the sun is high in the sky.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Burton and Seguin are able to sail a lot lower course than those around them, and also appear determined to experience the worst this low has to offer.

The comment attributed to Charlie about slowing down and NOT riding the front I don't get. 

You position yourself north/south to avoid the worst of the low, not put the handbrake on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reported so far to have contained Henaff paté (tins), crisprolls and sea salt (I think) butter. No mentions of red plonk ....

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, littlechay said:

There is no real need. He'll stay ahead of the worst of the wind and when the system does catch him it will have moved south with little duration or fetch to his north and west) ... He should be able to straight line it.  See the attached image. Shading is TWS that he will ecounter along his possible routing area, Route has barbs to the wind at that point of the route...GRIB is run forward to the time it catches him.... more or less and it may change ;)

Apiva.PNG

I see what you mean. Thanks for taking the time to explain that. As they move with the system, the wind will change direction and they will not run into the headwinds. 

It seems that most try to stay a bit North nonetheless, at least that is what the tracker shows at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BozoC said:

It doesn't say more than what is quoted really. Electrical problems had him desperately trying to get pilots working, checking connections, changing wires, then a headsail furler on the sprit jammed and he had to go up and sort it out. He admits to being well knackered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JeronimoII said:

Didac has hit a 7 meter long whale while doing 10 knots. No apparently damage to the boat, though. 

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that he took the daggerboards out pre start ? Maybe saved his race, wonder if that event may have been a showstopper for a foiler.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Schakel said:

The sun is very low in this picture it's fake news.
Gentlemen: this is only a yachtrace not presidential elections.
383906346_Kevinescofier.PNG.2536157d7e2041918c6ae1b2e9cb279e.PNG
Here the sun is high in the sky.

 

Cam's cam facing aftish vs Rib's cam looking forward. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Essex said:

Cam's cam facing aftish vs Rib's cam looking forward. 

What did he get?
Diesel, a christmas package,  condoms? a set of chess and backgammon?
Only joking.

Kevin escofier.PNG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites