6 minutes ago, vokstar said:

Mike Golding is the miserable pommy fucker doing the commentary.. Sounds like he wants to go back to wooden boats and sextants

Haha. I just remember the VG16 start, listening to Sam - and you could really hear from the way she was commenting that she was yearning to be on one of those IMOCAs

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, minca3 said:

Haha. I just remember the VG16 start, listening to Sam - and you could really hear from the way she was commenting that she was yearning to be on one of those IMOCAs

So glad it wasn't just me that picked up on that haha! 

23 minutes ago, james_007_bond said:

Gabard is doing commentary on french public tv, Coville doing the same on french sport tv l’equipe.

And Bidegorry and Peyron the YT stream, looking FR3 (with Gabart) now

3 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

Is he not allowed to re-start?

Must have been on purpose for sponsor exposure.  

No restart, 5hr penalty to be taken later. 

However, I think there was actually a delay in the video feed. 

5 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

Is he not allowed to re-start?

Must have been on purpose for sponsor exposure.  

No restart, 5hr penalty to be taken later. 

However, I think there was actually a delay in the video feed. 

So nothing has been said officially about him receiving a 5 HR OCS penalty?  We're just assuming that based on the video and rules?  If he wasn't OCS, he certainly nailed it.  Tough to know, if the video wasn't exactly sync'd with the clock.

6 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

So nothing has been said officially about him receiving a 5 HR OCS penalty?  We're just assuming that based on the video and rules?  If he wasn't OCS, he certainly nailed it.  Tough to know, if the video wasn't exactly sync'd with the clock.

The commentators once mentioned clear start from race committee.

The audio was definetly delayed in the english youtube stream-

I was kind of expecting Hugo Boss to be super fast but he looked a bit "sticky" and his main was trimmed bizarelly. May be that isn't his conditions or he's decided to start slowly.

Troussel and Ruyant looked good IMHO!

2 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

I was kind of expecting Hugo Boss to be super fast but he looked a bit "sticky" and his main was trimmed bizarelly. May be that isn't his conditions or he's decided to start slowly.

Troussel and Ruyant looked good IMHO!

had the impression he was starting rather conservatively. Mostly surprised by Corum ...

1 minute ago, james_007_bond said:

The was a call on VHF for one boat over the line, without specifying which one. BV2 was 100% over the line. 

there is confirmation about the 5h penalty on the Vendee Globe twitter account: 

• Like 3

They should have put the first mark much closer to the line, or remove it completely, they were too downwind to be really foiling before the mark.

The images would have been much better without it, but apparently the wind went a bit more east than planned

Just now, Miffy said:

Public enthusiasm basically running a DDOS attack on the servers :D

Hugo Boss was doing 21 knots when the tracker went down. 

Jesus, keep the AT fanboying down a little please.

"HB was doing 21 knots" - what were the others doing? 

I just don't get it

2 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

I think AT was the fastest when tracker went down. Charal pretty close at about 20+ knots. I didn’t see any others in the 20s. 
not that it matters, but I am rooting for the frenchies. 

I’m rooting for all the skippers to finish and for the race to be decided in the south Atlantic run after Cape Horn

Can’t wait to see how the boats that have kept their prep quiet fare in the coming month. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I’m rooting for all the skippers to finish and for the race to be decided in the south Atlantic run after Cape Horn

Can’t wait to see how the boats that have kept their prep quiet fare in the coming month. 

I too hope all skippers finish and have fair winds. Would be great to see a close race. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, stief said:

App is updating and working here (and Hugo Boss site also, now speed down to 13.8 knots), but still timed out on official VG site

just installed the app, it connected and then crashed with an MySQL error from the VG site :D

Tried to join the VR regatta with my 8yo, we had to leave it due to pure frustration after an hour of fighting against their website. 

The race site is no better.  Very poor job from them.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Use marine traffic while they’re near shore and still on land AIS receivers. It isn’t gonna get sorted for a while because volume is too high. 

1 minute ago, OPAL said:

Tracker slow to load, but working.
https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracking-map

AT Tracker loads faster.

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub/race/

Nice start, after the fog.

both showing an outdated status (14h UTC) to me

6 minutes ago, stief said:

@Chasm. Thanks , source?

Re tracker updates, I think Dee said the updates would be every 1/2 hour for the first 4 hours, then they'd revert to the regular schedule, whatever that will be.

Via the tracker.
APIVIA (Charlie Dalin) and La Mie Caline (Arnaud Boisseres) are shown as not localized but can be seen entering the channel before turning off. [~13h30 UTC]

Can someone link the AIS list again? Thank you.

Just some very preliminary weather routing from Les Sables d'Olonne towards Cape of good hope South Africa with an updated Open CPN v5.2.4

Input:

• GFS 10 days (3 hr intervals @ 0,25 degrees resolution) and after that the climatology plugin for average wind direction & speed plus currents for that time of the year
  • 3 hr timesteps
  • Imoca 2015 polars

Output:

• ETA 24 days sailing. Some rough upwind sailing projected ahead west of Portugal against 25 up to 30 kt steady winds and 4 m waves. GFS holds up just south of Cabo Verde Islands, +/- 9 degrees north of the equator. After that the climatology plugin as best guess for the weather.

Screenshot 2020-11-08 15.48.39.png

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Chasm said:

Via the tracker.
APIVIA (Charlie Dalin) and La Mie Caline (Arnaud Boisseres) are shown as not localized but can be seen entering the channel before turning off.

Can someone link the AIS list again? Thank you.

Thanks. MMSI, thanks to yl75

4 minutes ago, russell_2878 said:

Is it just me or was a totally forseeable consequence of them delaying the start so much that coverage ended so soon, I certainly think the last 20min delay shouldn't have happened.

Yeah it seems like a total cluster from a tech standpoint. You might have thought that in 2020 maybe some of this might be, you know, online?