• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

I had to make water and then, impossible to start the engine. I spent 2 hours working on it, trying to understand what was going on. The boats are continuously heeled right now, so you cannot turn on the engine with the normal water intake configuration; on my boat, the water intake is near the propeller shaft, so I am using the "schnorchel" used to fill up the ballast as a water intake for the engine. But since I have been going too fast, some water got into the engine. So I hade to open up the engine to get rid of the water and restart it.

Needs this like hole in the head and maybe very lucky.

Doesn't have keel raw water inlet so bypassing that using water ballast inlet line. That's common workaround in heavy conditions. 

All that has NO impact on engine starting just running without overheating.

"But since I have been going too fast, some water got into the engine"

Raw water circulation and coolant circulation seperate.

So appears ballast water inlet volume/pressure overwhelmed exhaust mixer and water entered engine via exhaust valves. 

"So I hade to open up the engine to get rid of the water and restart it."

He then had to drain/pump out water from cylinders I presume by pulling out injectors. Bastard of a job tied up let alone at sea on a surfboard. 

Lucky engine didn't hydro lock.

Think water which doesn't compress (unlike air) greater than the volume of the cylinder at its minimum (end of the piston's stroke) sitting on top of piston.

When you know.

When starting motor won't budge. Burnt out starter if you don't notice.

If this happens when engine going.

Piston connecting rods say goodbye, maybe fractured crank, head, block, crankcase or bearing damage. Throw engine away.

Sounded though he had a 'soft stop' when running.

One simple paragraph in a report hides a lot of pain and agony and a potential race end.

Hats off.

Bent connecting rod.

300px-Bent_connecting_rod_1.jpeg

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Needs this like hole in the head and maybe very lucky.

Doesn't have keel raw water inlet so bypassing that using water ballast inlet line. That's common workaround in heavy conditions. 

All that has NO impact on engine starting just running without overheating.

"But since I have been going too fast, some water got into the engine"

Raw water circulation and coolant circulation seperate.

So appears ballast water inlet volume/pressure overwhelmed exhaust mixer and water entered engine via exhaust valves. 

He then had to drain it, I presume by pulling out injectors.

Lucky engine didn't hydro lock.

Think water which doesn't compress (unlike air) greater than the volume of the cylinder at its minimum (end of the piston's stroke) sitting on top of piston.

Ian assuming he found when stated motor wouldn't budge. Lucky didn't burn it out. 

If this happens when engine going.

Piston connecting rods say goodbye, maybe fractured crank, head, block, crankcase or bearing damage. Throw engine away.

Bent connecting rod.

300px-Bent_connecting_rod_1.jpeg

Been there...

3.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snowden said:
14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

you can do this with the decompression lever, can't you?

They stopped including those and a crank handle on marine diesel engines just after the war. :D

• Like 2

Thanks for the explanation.

I knew that they had a different intake for the raw water when heeling hard, or now, I guess foiling as well... But I still couldn't understand how raw water could get "inside the engine" (dans le moteur)... I guess the only option is indeed through the exhaust line and back into the engine through an open exhaust valve. It is either that or a much more serious damage as a blown seal or gasket somewhere in the engine...

He was indeed lucky that he did not hydrolock and broke something. I guess one of the chambers filled up with engine stopped and the starter could not even turn the engine.

Trivia question. How do you empty a car engine with hydrolock because you drove through a ford and sucked water through the air intake?

5 buddies in a van, in the UK (rental car...); one of those small country roads that can have a stream running through in heavy rain. We try to go through it at very low speed and go through... and the engine stalls 10 seconds later... What we did not know was that the airfilter intake on this car was very low in the engine compartment. How do you fix it without breaking anything?

You put it in 5th gear (manual transmission) for low torque and 4 guys pushing it... backwards. We were able to push enough water back through the INTAKE valve to eventually start it back...

• Like 10
3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

They stopped including those and a crank handle on marine diesel engines just after the war. :D

5 minutes ago, Snowden said:

you mean to say my 1GM10 isn't cutting edge technology??

No crank handle...This is where someone posts on how to use snatch blocks, a line and gybing to start an engine with no power or has a shot starter motor. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Laurent said:

You put it in 5th gear (manual transmission) for low torque and 4 guys pushing it... backwards. We were able to push enough water back through the INTAKE valve to eventually start it back...

Bookmarked. Don't pull injectors.....sail backwards quickly. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Herman said:

Yes that is possible. The weather routing plugin can utilize the wind averages and current data from the Climatology plug in. So you can do a weather routing (pro forma) for winds and currents for a certain month using applicable polars. But I don't have time do this this.

Alternatively you can download gribs for the actual days from various reanalysis data sets. E.g. https://cds.climate.copernicus.eu/#!/homehttps://apps.ecmwf.int/datasets/https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/model-data/model-datasets/climate-forecast-system-version2-cfsv2

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

No crank handle...This is where someone posts on how to use snatch blocks, a line and gybing to start an engine with no power or has a shot starter motor. 

I had a Volvo engine in my only new boat around 1982. It had decompression levers and a crank. Even used it a couple of times.

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Tune in today's  Vendée Live and guest the designer Sam Manuard, responsible for Armel Tripon's L'Occitane en Provence.

His first VG but won the Multi50 class in the last Route du Rhum.

Could be interesting design listen with leaders conditions and this in mind.

- A "scow" = more sea state friendly. 

- Pretty sure his foils are fully retractable.

And a random he also one of the few with a wind generator. Why I bloody don't know?

yysw297250.jpg

J S - I think 4 boats have had serious problems with hydro - generators so far. Mostly ripping right off the back of the boat. Since that is a repeat of previous problems with these units, I'd venture to guess that mounts have been up-engineered for loads. But the stress shock of units dipping in & out of fast water might have been under estimated. And one unit seems to be leaking hyd fluid rapidly. So given faster boat speeds, flying up out of the water, wind gens seem a logical system to revert to. And there aren't many kamikazi sea birds around flying into the blades

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Snowden said:

cranking it for two hours with water gushing into the seacock at 29 knots will do that

And maybe a few wipe outs will affect flow in all directions...

Jacko, sailing backwards, noted.

12 hours ago, DVV said:

Are you implying that they have some way to avoid them, or that what is considered an UFO collision is in fact something else?

I don't know obviously but if Charlie get's all the way around and wins without hitting anything he will be mighty lucky or perhaps he knows some people in very high places? :D

38 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I had a Volvo engine in my only new boat around 1982. It had decompression levers and a crank. Even used it a couple of times.

Ditto on the Nicholson 32 we had on Lake Erie in the early eighties. The old crank pulled us out of a number of jams when the Volvo needed a nudge. Weird, I had just mentioned this on the SSS sight.

21 minutes ago, ctdriver said:

My raw water cooled 1GM10 was the most reliable engine I've owned

Heard that.  When I installed a 1GM10 in my previous Laser 28 and first fired it up.  I stood there listening to that thump, thump ,thump and realized I had the biggest *^&% eating grin on my face ever.  Thing ran like a champ.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, longy said:

J S - I think 4 boats have had serious problems with hydro - generators so far. Mostly ripping right off the back of the boat. Since that is a repeat of previous problems with these units, I'd venture to guess that mounts have been up-engineered for loads. But the stress shock of units dipping in & out of fast water might have been under estimated. And one unit seems to be leaking hyd fluid rapidly. So given faster boat speeds, flying up out of the water, wind gens seem a logical system to revert to. And there aren't many kamikazi sea birds around flying into the blades

The hydrogenerator mounts really look shite, I was just commenting on one the other day to the guys fitting on to a boat that will be in a race in a couple of year. ... At least they are fuse to stop the generator ripping the back out of the boat! 

It isn’t Watt & Sea’s fault - it’s been happening for as long as Watt and Sea products have been in the VG. The skippers who rely on it but don’t take it out when they’re easily over 25 knots are engaging in wishful thinking. 

Armel worked with Watt and Sea to try and make a turbine tunnel in BP last cycle - not sure what came of it 

16 minutes ago, Miffy said:

It isn’t Watt & Sea’s fault - it’s been happening for as long as Watt and Sea products have been in the VG. The skippers who rely on it but don’t take it out when they’re easily over 25 knots are engaging in wishful thinking. 

Armel worked with Watt and Sea to try and make a turbine tunnel in BP last cycle - not sure what came of it 

I think some of the Ultimes now have a permanent mount unit (looks like a saildrive) mounted underwater??

Sorry, I have been working all day. So if this was already posted, whoops. Armel was my favorite coming into this race, but this guy won my heart

"Yes, it's true that they gave me some provisions, I had asked for some things to last me until the end. They gave me some Hénaff pâté, bread and butter, because let's face it, everything is better with butter! I don't see why I shouldn't eat butter on the Vendée Globe when I eat it at home. They also gave me a T-shirt from their frigate and letters of encouragement. It was an emotional moment!"

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Miffy said:

For such an expensive product I think it could be a lot better. The props for example are really crappy brittle plastic. I would have thought that for these boats some kind of feathering prop would be the way to go. The type that feather to a trailing position against strong springs.. Or better still have mounts that will release and kick up under a certain load (they have that already but I mean in a resetable non-distructive way :rolleyes: )..  None of that should be rocket science.. IMO the generator is fairly good but the mechanics are rubbish. They should get some mechanical engineers on the team to sort it out. 

• Like 1

W&S offers one that is feathering and hydraulically controlled - but the market isn’t really once every 4 year imocas. They probably sell as many on transquadra, mini scene in one season than all of imoca since inception. 

18 minutes ago, longy said:

I think some of the Ultimes now have a permanent mount unit (looks like a saildrive) mounted underwater??

I recently surveyed an Oceanis 41.1 that had one installed. Made an awful racket at any speed above 7 knots.  Can't imagine what it would be like at 20+.

4 minutes ago, littlechay said:

For such an expensive product I think it could be a lot better. The props for example are really crappy brittle plastic. I would have thought that for these boats some kind of feathering prop would be the way to go. The type that feather to a trailing position against strong springs.. Or better still have mounts that will release and kick up under a certain load (they have that already but I mean in a resetable non-distructive way :rolleyes: )..  None of that should be rocket science.. IMO the generator is fairly good but the mechanics are rubbish. They should get some mechanical engineers on the team to sort it out. 

Most of the race boats do have the racing versions with feathering props.  It is possible to rig up the "down" line with a breakable fuse, however for sure it's hard to get the breaking point just right.  Anyhow, on many of the failures the mountings that break actually aren't made by W&S, they're custom structures instead.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:
2 hours ago, Snowden said:
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

you can do this with the decompression lever, can't you?

They stopped including those and a crank handle on marine diesel engines just after the war:D

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

1 hour ago, everydaysailor said:

Ditto on the Nicholson 32 we had on Lake Erie in the early eighties. The old crank pulled us out of a number of jams when the Volvo needed a nudge. Weird, I had just mentioned this on the SSS sight.

"They stopped including those (decompression lever) and a crank handle on marine diesel engines just after the war .

So nitpickers "around 1982" and "early eighties".

So that would be the Falklands War I referred to. 

At the moment we got two boats that seem to be looking a little ... well, funky.  Burton's got -VMG and sailing 10 kts in 19 indicated and heading @ 90 degrees apposed to his previous course...nothing going on there /s

Then there is Damien and he's got 6 kts going NNE and maybe, hopefully that is still just AP work and he's sailing slow under reefed main.

With no outside information and if things don't change there could be three boats that could pass these two in 24 hours.

Burton's track is the most concerning.  What I see as a trend is that boats sailing well (ie, no big issues) are straight(ish) tracks with course changes due to wind and ice limit.  Burton's has been ... well... erratic..and with a hard turn up...it indicates bigger issues.  I really hope that by tomorrow I see them turned back towards east and trucking, but I get a feeling we're seeing a slow deconstruction to a point where either they need to find safe harbor to get stable or find safe harbor to retire, or equipment failures are such that they cannot compete at the same level and it is just hold on till the end.

Again, I'd rather they get fixed and start pressing again...I'll see in der mogan.

3 hours ago, troll99 said:

easy.. look the boat sailing up in the North, right? then it actually sailing back just slightly like 359 degrees. 360/0 degrees would give 0 VMG. 

I mean, that's my question. Why is he sailing 90 degrees away from australia?

24 minutes ago, ivansh said:

I mean, that's my question. Why is he sailing 90 degrees away from australia?

90 deg away from Australia?...  It looks like he is slowly sailing more or less dead downwind. Trying to fix something for sure.... but what. 

3 hours ago, Haji said:

Most of the race boats do have the racing versions with feathering props.  It is possible to rig up the "down" line with a breakable fuse, however for sure it's hard to get the breaking point just right.  Anyhow, on many of the failures the mountings that break actually aren't made by W&S, they're custom structures instead.

True but made with the help and adice of W&S.

I must pay more attention to the props on the race versions. The one I was looking at the other day didn't have a feathering prop.. but it will be unlucky to hit double figures in knots! 

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Isn't the hydraulic variable pitch the biggest issue to-date this race??

Almost certainly.. hydraulics will always give more trouble than a spring :D

5 hours ago, LeoV said:
6 hours ago, Snowden said:

cranking it for two hours with water gushing into the seacock at 29 knots will do that

And maybe a few wipe outs will affect flow in all directions...

Jacko, sailing backwards, noted.

Kevin was charging his batts when "foldaboat" occured. That might be a more extreme version of hydrolock/fucked.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Laurent said:

Thanks Herman!

Am I reading your table right? Are you predicting 6 boats with 1 1/2 hrs at your virtual waypoint, at the corner of the ZEA, East of Cape Leeuwin??? That would be awesome for the interest of the race...

Indeed a nice get together at the AEZ is projected, but as usual the forecast will change as the situation is very dynamic with the highs and low coming in and out. 

10 hours ago, samc99us said:

General opinion is that the AIS data is more accurate than the official tracker.  At Burton's average 4h speed of 13.9kts, 13.9*87/60 = 20.2 nm, hence 23nm seems reasonable no?

Some of the others are not of course, Dutreux for example would have to be going 36.92 kts to cover 24nm in 35min, maybe his position reports were confused with Sodebo :blink:

Indeed, by roughly calculating time delta's against location differences in NM you can guess certain outcomes are not valid. Simply, boats can't move that quickly in the timestamp delta to cover the location differences.

Disclaimer; unless the AIS-retrieved timestamps are not accurately enough harvested. But getting the Python script up and running is one thing, validating the script itself is entirely different, and beyond my scope. But I will do a second test on some boats in order to check AIS-accuracy, with live coverage from land instead of sat coverage.

6 hours ago, stief said:

Damian Foxall: of the 6 struck boats 2 had pingers. Very understanding of the efforts of the teams to mitigate the risks.

And very instructive and educational about the practical limitations of pingers, Oscar, etc. Damien answered a lot of questions that have been asked on this thread. He pointed out, in his opinion, the disingenuousness of the term UFO's; differentiating between a boat hitting eg fishing debris and sea life;  and his discussion about the efforts in process of other mitigation measures such as studying and avoiding known marine migration routes. . Thought his comment about the drawbacks of the ice gates given the upcoming weather forecasts was particularly interesting. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, littlechay said:

The hydrogenerator mounts really look shite, I was just commenting on one the other day to the guys fitting on to a boat that will be in a race in a couple of year. ... At least they are fuse to stop the generator ripping the back out of the boat! 

;)Oh, you are mentioning the „black boat“ being laid up in Ushuaia. Interesting to know...

7 hours ago, Miffy said:

W&S offers one that is feathering and hydraulically controlled - but the market isn’t really once every 4 year imocas. They probably sell as many on transquadra, mini scene in one season than all of imoca since inception. 

They're not all that popular amongst the Minis from what I've seen, partly because of the cost compared to fuel cells.

AIS validity check part deux

AIS positions check against the 08:30 schedule positions are all valid. Max timestamp differences for Burton is 54 minutes, with a max position delta of 7 nm in the right heading. All other AIS postions are smaller and look valid too. E.g. Dalin has a timestamp delta of 19 minutes, and a position delta of 5 nm in the right heading. He was doing 16 kts so 5/16 = 1/3 hr = 20 minutes is very, very accurate compared to the timestamp delta (+/-  1 minute). The vector towards the AIS-position is 100% accurate.

No idea why last night the results were not valid at all.

AIS positions 081220 0900.png

Positions 0830 schedule vs AIS 08 12 20.png

Dalin 081220.png

• Like 1

Weather update

Routing with approximately 09:30 AIS-retrieved positions for the top-8 boats. So Dalin opted out for now for a more northern routing to avoid possible bad weather /seastate. Otherwise, he would have gone north of Amsterdam Island and St Paul Island. Ruyant seems to be heading above Amsterdam Island atm.

Pics 1 and 2 give the overall situation for ECMWF and visible EUMETSAT clouds. Clearly Dalin and Ruyant are caught now too by the LP zone, which deepens and intensifies quickly, but luckily veers SE out of the way when it evolves into a full storm.

Both wave models ECMWF WAM and Wavewatch 3 (WW3) do more or less agree on the sea state, but not on a small scale. It's not fun out there as reported by Sorel earlier on the radio. He should be in 5,5 meter waves. See pics 3 and 4. 

Dalin could get up to 40 kts steady winds, and gusts in the 50s kts as predicted yesterday. Rough ride. But further in the week easier sailing, around Thursday. The projected AWA for the passing LP zone is nice for Dalin, 110 degrees or so.

Still 5 boats projected at almost the same time for ETA. Bestaven looks good for maintaining his third position. See routing table pic 5.

And pics 6 to 9 for routing Dalin, Ruyant, Burton and Le Cam.

ECMWF 081220.jpg

EUMETSAT 081220.jpg

ECMWF WAM 081220.jpg

Waves WW3 081220.jpg

routing table 081220.png

Dalin 081220.png.jpg

Ruyant 081220.png

JLC 081220.png.jpg

Burton 081220.png.jpg

Edited by Herman
wrong pics
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, Manfred said:

;)Oh, you are mentioning the „black boat“ being laid up in Ushuaia. Interesting to know...

Nope .. one that is being prepped.... its white ;) nowhere near Ush

• Like 1

AFAIK not posted up thread the very funny tweet by Philippe Eliès regarding Escoffier, swimming once again in his survival suit to the RHIB of the French frigate; "Bisous ma caille et merci Jean !" Or in English; "Kisses to my little bird (quail) and thank you Jean!" Is he referring to the hair of JLC which could be home to a quail?

1 minute ago, Herman said:

AFAIK not posted up thread the very funny tweet by Philippe Eliès regarding Escoffier, swimming once again in his survival suit to the RHIB of the French frigate; "Bisous ma caille et merci Jean !" Or in English; "Kisses to my little bird (quail) and thank you Jean!" Is he referring to the hair of JLC which could be home to a quail?

"Bisous ma caille" could be translated into "Kisses sweetie"

• Like 2

News from Armel Tripon, i love the spirit of this guy, seems as positive as a buddhist Monk, no negative energy at all

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/actualites/20887/armel-tripon-ce-sont-des-moments-de-grace-inouis

"I am alone in the middle of the Indian Ocean under a big blue sky. I think it's good to go south of the depression because I have the boat in the right shape to do it. The "timings" are good so you have to take advantage of them. I whipped last night to go fast, now it's going to soften a bit, but I'm going to move forward anyway. It's always nice to put some distance with the boats behind and regain some on those in front. The good thing is that I will manage to catch the front of the depression in front of me and thus be able to cross part of the Indian fairly quickly. 

I'm a bit tired, I manoeuvred a lot last night, there were a lot of sail changes because the wind is very unstable, and then the nights are short, at 1h30 or 2h, it's already daylight. It's quite unsettling so there is little sleep.

After a month at sea, I feel a fullness with the boat and the environment. Physically and mentally, I feel very well and I love spending days and nights on this racing boat, trying to go as fast as possible and find the best trajectories. It's a lot of things you feel and it's strong. Last night, I had never seen such a starry night. It was incredibly pure, there wasn't an ounce of pollution, the stars shimmered like never before, it was magical. These were moments of unbelievable grace.

My boat is a good travel companion, I get along well with it. I am careful because the road is still long and I don't know him very well yet, but when the conditions allow it, I can shoot it and it responds well. He is fluid, easy and he just wants to go fast so it's nice to try to understand him. 

The strategy is done, it is to go under this depression, to try to catch the front and to ride in front of the front to reach Cape Leeuwin. If the scenario remains the same, I should stay ahead of this front on the edge of the high. It's quite a dream situation, I'm really lucky"

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

How far behind was Tripon when he "restarted" racing?

I believe Beyou has lost 800+nm to the leaders since restarting.

I don't think he was that far behind, but was the other side of the front, and then go caught in the light airs that slwed the back markers so significantly.

1 hour ago, cortosam said:

Tripon ... The strategy is done, it is to go under this depression, to try to catch the front and to ride in front of the front to reach Cape Leeuwin. If the scenario remains the same, I should stay ahead of this front on the edge of the high. It's quite a dream situation, I'm really lucky"

the group behind him are sailing NW upwind in light winds... bet he is glad to have avoided that!

15 minutes ago, Potter said:

I don't think he was that far behind, but was the other side of the front, and then go caught in the light airs that slwed the back markers so significantly.

interesting that in light airs the scow was still faster.

18 hours ago, samc99us said:

General opinion is that the AIS data is more accurate than the official tracker. 

Current deltas for the fleet (nm), between updates, error distance from the predicted position:

image.thumb.png.120b443cb47c289474b38e87dc44b5f2.png

Seems pretty accurate.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Snowden said:

Boris seems to have found some pace again. Wonder if he has now fixed his J2 / hydros?

Indeed. Dutreux, Herrmann and Ruyant in high gear @ 19-20 kts now the cold front has passed. Dalin in rough wind (30+ kts) and windgusts up to 46-48 kts, with probably a double or triple reefed mainsail, @ 10 kts.

Skipper CET Latitude Longitude Heading Speed
DALIN 14:57:00 -39.4406 80.3879 150° 9.8
RUYANT 15:01:00 -37.8106 75.4732 96° 19.3
LE CAM 15:00:00 -39.0684 69.2769 105° 10.5
DUTREUX 14:42:00 -40.9285 68.9775 115° 20.2
SEGUIN 14:54:00 -40.8172 67.5650 77° 12.3
BURTON 13:36:00 -44.2630 68.1604 95° 10.1
BESTAVEN 14:52:00 -40.9873 70.6518 111° 14.6
HERRMANN 14:54:00 -40.4596 68.1050 84° 19.0
  • Like 3

Dalin and Burton are up-to-speed again 

DALIN:  -39.5162 LON:   80.4936, SPEED: 17.2, HEADING:  88°, TIME: 2020-12-08 15:35:00

BURTON: -44.2202 LON:   68.8534, SPEED: 19.9, HEADING:  58°, TIME: 2020-12-08 15:30:00

3 hours ago, Herman said:

"My caille" which is indeed a quail is sweet talk in French for your lover... In English, you would say "honey" for example...

• Like 1

Gripping story from Pip Hare. The lady sure knows how to write!

Pip Hare 'Fear Cannot Take Control.'

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20886/pip-hare-fear-cannot-take-control

At 2am, in the pitch dark with no moon and building breeze the tack line on my code zero broke. It went with a loud bang ...

• Like 4
1 hour ago, eastern motors said:

How far behind was Tripon when he "restarted" racing?

I believe Beyou has lost 800+nm to the leaders since restarting.

I recall Armel saying he expected to be 1000nm behind by the time he reached the equator, but he was not so fortunate. Turned out being over 2000nm.

20201208_075834.thumb.jpg.255893fb9bd043859c3ae30adc517daf.jpg

34 minutes ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

Gripping story from Pip Hare. The lady sure knows how to write!

Pip Hare 'Fear Cannot Take Control.'

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20886/pip-hare-fear-cannot-take-control

At 2am, in the pitch dark with no moon and building breeze the tack line on my code zero broke. It went with a loud bang ...

Thanks for the find.  her last paragraph really hit home for me.  I've not been content to just sit around waiting for life to happen.  In my years, besides the passion I have for sailing and where it took me, I learned to fly and get my PPL, and I learned to ride and jump horses.  Each of these activities has challenged me, scared me, and at times embedded fear in me that was/is hard to remove.  Yet, I continue, despite the fear because the the joy I feel when I am engaged helps put the fear back in a corner.
-------------------
I know well that icy grip of fear and how it has the ability to paralyse you and to turn your brain in circles. But when you are alone on a boat in the middle of the ocean there is simply no one else to take charge, the  fear cannot take control, it keeps you sharp but you must learn to suppress it. I don't consider myself to be a particularly brave person, I don't think this is a characteristic you are born with. I think my sport has taught me how to control my fear and think clearly in a crisis. I do this not because I enjoy the stress or want to be a hero, but because I love my sport, I am driven to compete at the highest level I can possibly achieve and with the euphoria of screaming through the worlds most beautiful oceans on a beautiful race boat, comes the acceptance that at times I will be challenged and I will be scared.

• Like 3