52 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:
1 hour ago, tama_manu said:

Le Cam may be on to something when he says foils are not for this IMOCA race?  Or maybe chalk it up to the damage to the favored big budget boats?

It would be interesting to see what one of the top design offices would come up with if asked to draw a non-foiling boat to win the Vendee.  It is almost a decade since anyone tried.

And just as interesting if given a open cheque book, which design route would JLC actually choose for 'real'???

His age....mmm .. FOILING HB MkII 'capsule' complete with sprung floor and accoustic dampening????

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

2 hours ago, stief said:

Sam on the Live confirms Alex's keel troubles last year "helped save my boat." Figured the teams took the lessons seriously and shared the info.

I think she sells herself short there.

The delamination lesson in 2018 RDR set in train the idea she would keep the cheque book open for as long as possible and make every improvement to lower the probability of crashing out using the experience of others. AT's keel issues was one. 

Bloody shame it came down to a fluke strike so low on the keel fin, that with the leverage imposed, there is no contingency you can build in for that, and still have a competitive weight.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

It would be interesting to see what one of the top design offices would come up with if asked to draw a non-foiling boat to win the Vendee.  It is almost a decade since anyone tried.

yup, I'd personally find that significantly more interesting than a new foiler. I get this is top level ocean racing (with all the corresponding go for broke design philosophies), but imo, give me a fast, simple, easy to push design with an emphasis on high average speeds and better than average durability. this event isn't really a sprint.

guess that's why Burton's boat is my favorite foiler, because the foils are on the small side, and I'll bet Le Cam is more than totally fine with his polished dagger board boat (regardless of his age).

What Benjamin Dutreux is doing is amazing.

• It is his first participation.
  • He is on a 2007 boat, with straight boards.
  • He is racing on a shoestring budget.

And in the middle of the Indian Ocean, the guy is fifth.  F.I.F.T.H !!!

• Like 13
1 hour ago, Varan said:

Hope it is not from crazy Californians tying ballons to their aluminum framed lawn chairs.

Given all the power line induced fires there, I would have expected wind (or falling trees) to be the biggest issue.

I think you are thinking about Danny Deckchair, who was an Aussie.

58 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I love seeing the old low budget guys even with the big budgets - makes it really fun.  

Charlie and Thomas must be getting the crap beaten out of them right about now if the tracker is correct; 5-6m seas, probably confused, 30kts for Thomas, and 40 for Charlie - right on the beam!  Nice to see Louis back up to speed.  

1 hour ago, AnotherSailor said:

I think you are thinking about Danny Deckchair, who was an Aussie.

No, that was a movie made by and Aussie.  The real deal was Lawnchair Larry, who used weather balloons to go up and a pellet gun to go down, back in 1982.  He was prevented from fulfilling his dream of being an Air Force pilot by his bad eyesight.  He stopped traffic at LAX, ascended to 15,000ft, and on his descent got entangled in some power lines before making it down safely.  

Like many things, it was invented here in CA and copied all over the place, often with worse results.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, socalrider said:

The real deal was Lawnchair Larry, who used weather balloons to go up and a pellet gun to go down, back in 1982..... got entangled in some power lines before making it down safely.  

And because he didn't die he doesn't make it into the Darwin Awards. 

Which by the way the rules are more complex than the RRS.

For instance 'foolishness' must be a 'unique' and 'sensational' to exclude things like 'suicide' from the 'cause'.

Judges were scratching their heads when presented with a man who 'attempted' only and didn't even 'succeed' at suicide. That head scratching was because he swallowed nitroglycerine pills and then tried to detonate them by running into a wall. :lol:

He did end up after much deliberation getting a honourable mention, rather than being excluded. 

'Cause' also being of one's 'own demise' disqualifies killing someone else or group stupidity. Hence this lot are just dumb cunts not worthy of even a mention.

images - 2020-12-09T161726.465.jpeg

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

That is quite remarkable with only boat older I think Pip Hare's???

You get to the stage of having to come up with categories of "shoestring"

Like "new boats" pretty good budgets there is still the 'poor'. Such as Tripon (a 1st timer) and Ruyant as Miff points out who struggled financially and were touch and to get to start line at some point.

12 hours ago, Miffy said:

Amongst the new boats, I don't think anyone has had such a tough financial time as Tripon and Thomas Ruyant re getting the boat to the start line. 

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Remember the proposed R2AK rule (not sure if it was ever implemented) where they'd offer some amount of $$ (maybe US$10k?) to each boat as it crossed the line in exchange for the title?  

That would add a nice dimension to the Vendee, though maybe too crass for the French.  Make it something more meaningful that'd be a multiple of what a shoestring Vendee veteran is worth, but a fraction of a new build.  Maybe $1M?  No idea what the right number is, but I bet Pip would swap her boat for that amount!  

Weather update

Pics 1, 2, 3 and 4 give the big perspective for ECMWF wind/pressure, EUMETSAT IR clouds, ECMWF WAM (seas state) and Clouds. ECMWF and GFS agree on a smaller scale, as usual.

Ruyant has less pressure after going north of Ile Amsterdam, compared to Dalin. The LP developing into a storm can clearly be seen south of Dalin.

Seastate is still not nice, and is moving east behind the cold front. 5+ meters waves for Dalin. 

Saturday a LP zone is projected to come down south from Cape Leeuwin. That could generate big winds and impact the boats between Australia and the AEZ. Hence the red routings there. If this LP moves quicker than projected now, it could force Dalin to detour towards Australia. At this moment it is projected that he can just sneak through. And other following boats have more headwinds. Something to watch in the coming days. See pic 4 with routing Daling for Saturday.

Around Thursday the boats get lighter winds and a lighter ride up to Sunday, before bumping into the LP coming down from Cape Leeuwin. Some time to fix things onboard and do a proper wash/shave.

Routing table for top-8 boats in pic 6. Additional routings for JLC, Ruyant and Burton in pics 7 to 9.

ECMWF 091220.jpg

EUMETSAT IR 091220.jpg

ECWMF WAM 091220.jpg

Clouds 091220.jpg

Dalin projection Saturday.png

routing table 091220.png

Le Cam 091220.png

Burton 091220.png

Ruyant 091220.png

• Like 7

Dalin send a message, all fine, nothing to report.
He knew he had a shot on podium place in his first VG, but to be in the lead so early and for so long. Keep focused Dalin.
Successful in Mini, Figaro and now Imoca.. when he started out as shore crew for mini's when he was young. Wet sanding rudders on the dock was the first time I did see him.

• Like 7

^^^^
So 14 Imoca's who did the VG 2008 now in the 2020 race... and in 2008 a 10 of them abandoned that race, remarkable.
And some sailing in 20 year old racing boats.
Nice presentation that is, thanks.

• Like 1

• He is on a 2007 boat, with straight boards.
  •  He is racing on a shoestring budget.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

[...]

Omia Was launched in 2007. Same as Hubert/Yes We Cam (JLC), Pure Best Western (Romain), V&B Mayenne (Maxime), Stark (Ari) and Groupe Setin (Manuel)

Older than Omia are Companie du lit (2006), Campagne de France (2006), Merci (2005), One Planet One ocean (2000), Medallia (1999) and  TSE-4myPlanet (1998)

There are more competitors in this race than you think :) Still, a very good race by Benjamin for sure.

• Like 2

Charal for the first time in weeks looking to overtake a competitor, Huusela is the first target ... must be a good feeling for Beyou
Beyou in full racing made passing Ari reading a book :) Just different goals in the VG.

Will Be You come close at Yes We Cam before the finish ? Butchering English language here...

• Like 3

Did see the video of the big ice floe/berg near South Georgia (with lot's of growlers) and followed the internet links to this, do not know if it was posted before;
https://www.esa.int/Applications/Observing_the_Earth/Copernicus/Sentinel-1
https://www.esa.int/Applications/Observing_the_Earth/Copernicus/Sentinel-1/Copernicus_satellites_keep_eyes_on_icebergs_for_Vendee_Globe

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fabulous find....I can still think history and don't have to worry about dementia anymore.

There is another list here : https://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des 60'/Historique 60'.xls

This one is not as nicely presented, but includes all IMOCAS ever built.

Another interesting fact :

Back in 2016, at that time in the race, Jean Le Cam was pretty much in the same position.

2016 distance to finish : 14900 nautical milles

2020 distance to finish : 15200 nautical milles

The reddress will also close that gap even more.

Source: https://twitter.com/objectifocean/status/1336665917560909825?s=20

• Like 1

I am a bit disappointed, Jérémie Beyou seems to sail quite cautiously, that s what he said, was expecting to see him release all the horses, pushing his boat to the limit.

That's my armchair's sailor comment

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/actualites/20908/jeremie-beyou-je-me-concentre-sur-la-glisse-du-bateau

"The descent of the Atlantic and the bypass of St. Helena were long and painful. I am on the edge of a los pressure downwind, so I have to tack, so it goes fast, but I am not progressing very fast towards the goal. I'm trying to get the boat moving as best I can even if the sea is short and the wind is irregular. It's hard to have stable speeds there.

I'd like to be in the front group to tackle the Indian Ocean, in terms of safety it's better. The problem is that the few miles they have ahead of them means they stay ahead of the front longer than me. Once the front catches up with me, I start to fall behind again. I have to get past them before it gets to me. I left ten days after everyone else, but I'm not here to take any ill-considered risks: from now on my challenge is to bring the boat and the skipper back to the end of the race in good condition. I try not to do anything foolish.

Charal is a great boat that just wants to go fast, but we're only at the start of the race so I think the worst thing to do would be to push and break everything. I would be very sorry. I try to go smoothly, even a notch below. I'm not going to find myself in 15th or 10th place just by forcing myself on the boat, it would take a combination of circumstances and weather conditions for me to gain places. I'm really trying to spare the boat even if it has some underfoot. If I see that there are opportunities to come back to the front group, I'll try to take advantage of them and put a little pressure on it. I'm really into management here, it's a different Vendée Globe for me and I have to deal with it. I have to be able to sail around the world by managing the boat well and hoping that the weather opens up a little bit in front of me so that I can gain places.

I'm really concentrating on making the boat glide, making it glide without forcing it too much. Of course I look at the weather forecast but I don't linger. After the Cape of Good Hope, it's not clear and it doesn't look good for me. I live from day to day and concentrate more on life on board, on making the boat move forward quietly, I talk to my family and friends about other things than the race, it's such a different event for me that I need to not project myself too much so that it goes well morally. "

• Like 4

Tue 8/12/2020 12:24 AM
To:
  •  You

View this email in your browser
dec8a1fa-6b6a-4a36-b1a0-4e0861ddfff0.jpgArmel Tripon  b48f0c4b-a16f-4e7c-93df-31cb92014800.pngBlack Pepper® Yachts
5b966c9b-c898-4341-b27f-a7a75b1dc8c4.png
After 28 days at sea, Armel entered the Indian Ocean by crossing the longitude of the Cap des Aiguilles that night, a few hours after doubling the Cape of Good Hope. Weak yesterday, the northerly wind came back and Armel, now 14the in the Vendée Globe, passed Alan Roura at high speed: 20 knots. Going fast is important to get past a depression that "descends" from Port Elizabeth.

Many symbols on the menu of Armel who crossed the cape of Good Hope at 5:48 pm yesterday Sunday, December 6 and then - a few hours later, at 2 a.m. today Monday - the Cap des Aiguilles.  Good Hope is the first of the three great mythical capes of the Vendée Globe (before Cape Leeuwin in Australia and Cape Horn at the tip of South America), it is this Cape of Needles, by 20 degrees of East longitude, that officially marks the end of the South Atlantic and the entry into the Indian Ocean, this liquid and icy desert where Armel sails for the first time.
c17dc432-89ef-442d-ae84-2f35abcaafd2.jpg

The atmosphere changes radically: mist, cold, wind

Armel did not lose his humour in yesterday's quiet day, when the small group of four boats that form L'Occitane in Provence with the IMOCA of Alan Roura, Stéphane Le Diraison and Arnaud Boissières was copiously slowed down in a windless zone.  Armel jokes: "I was a little upset; Let us say that I had taken my Sunday; In the month we left, I didn't have a single weekend and wanted to enjoy my sea view rental!   Fortunately, the northerly wind returned in the course of last night and L'Occitane in Provence is going this morning at an average of 20 knots! Armel managed to take 14th place by passing Stéphane Le Diraison, then Alan Roura. L'Occitane in Provence thus achieved one of the best intermediate times of the fleet between the equator and Good Hope, which also explains this rise in the rankings.

Images of the edge

yesterday, just before passing the Cape of Good Hope
8f3bcb6b-486a-40bc-9fa9-aa7697c50d08.jpg
c2f98368-35fb-4340-ab5e-01be57a751a9.jpg
c8ed7074-7bdb-4b77-bd8e-95e05ee17dca.jpg

"I'm in Sioux mode, attacking in the Indian"
The atmosphere is changing dramatically in this southern maritime desert. "Yesterday we passed a cloud mass in a fog to cut with a knife. I felt like I was in Newfoundland, smelling the icebergs nearby. So much so that I felt like I was distinguishing it in the mist, even if there were none. It was pretty unreal, Titanic vibe. We know that the icebergs are not far away, that is also why the ZEA (ice zone) was raised by the Race Directorate. 
Yesterday Armel was also able to see Alan Roura's boat, about 5 miles from L'Occitane in Provence: "We had a little conversation at the VHF with Alan, as I had done with Stéphane (Le Diraison) 24 hours before. It was nice: we shared our little galleys, our joys and our sorrows, we exchanged our impressions. All against a background of freezing temperatures and very, very short nights. "The day gets up at 3 a.m. after going to bed at 10 p.m., it's really weird, it's a different world! I see a lot of birds, albatross coming back with the wind because they need them to hover. There, we sail quickly again for a few hours: I'm at 20 knots average, with a ris in the mainsail and it's running well. I'm in Sioux mode, attacking in the Indian! »

Video of the edge

710289c1-82fb-408e-81f0-1b8af6a6e208.jpg
December 7, 2020
Passing the Cape of Good Hope... A small glass of Château Trianon for Neptune and the skipper!!!
(to be consumed in moderation.... )
cb6e0ca0-6e9c-4df6-927d-5c90194e908c.jpeg

Goal: to get past depression

Armel's goal is to sail straight as fast as possible to slip past a fairly hollow depression coming down from Port Elizabeth ,South Africa). "I'm not changing my path for her because I think I'm fast enough to get through this depression. At worst, if I had to be a little slowed down because there is little margin, I will eventually have to endure a few hours in 25 knots of wind up close but no more. And the situation looks pretty stable... so for me it's largely manageable: I'm on the road. 
We've been at sea for a month, we're sailing 45 degrees south, we're going back in the long time of the Vendée Globe. Until then I knew the atmosphere, but not here. There are incredible colors and lights, a small cross sea that hits a little but still allows to go fast ... It's nice but I'm mostly focused on my race: I apply myself to go fast, pass this depression and try to enjoy a beautiful situation, with this flow of north wind that accompanies me. »

The Current of needles

to find out more....
9d2f7ab7-d308-4220-a754-9ec5ff3b72de.png
The whirlwinds of the Oceanic Current of the Needles. Mercator Source
Where do these whirlpools and rough seas encountered by the skippers of the Vendée Globe off the Cape of Good Hope come from?

27a0e527-568d-49e5-9fef-356603dd6db4.png

The Current of Needles takes its name from the South African cape of the Needles.

It flows along the south-west coast of the south-west east coast and then undergoes a retroflexion to the east off the city of Cape Town to form the return current of the Needles, recirculating in the Indian Ocean
The Needle Current is one of the strongest and most consistent surface currents known. Its encounter with the colder currents of the South Atlantic causes vast vortexes.

The retroflexion of this current creates a mixture of warm and cold water masses explaining the constant agitation of the sea in these areas; the westerly winds, often very powerful, oppose the main direction of the surface sea current by maintaining a swell and waves reaching impressive heights, causing many shipwrecks. This translates more broadly into:

• a cyclical (quarterly) phenomenon of the formation of vast and powerful vortexes (several hundred kilometers in diameter each), in an area known as the "Ring of Needles". These swirls contribute to the mixing of more or less cold and salty layers, while contributing to their oxygenation. These currents and vortexes or "gyres" also impose a cyclical pathway and areas of waste concentration on floating waste on the surface or between two waters and certain pollutants.

• a warm, saltier flow of water from the Indian Ocean to the Atlantic.

2d89beb5-df0a-4be3-8619-a2cd32c30396.jpg

The Gulf stream saved by the current of the needles?

This is a new study that challenges a part of climate science. While IPCC reports project a weakening of the Gulf stream due to climate change, causing a de facto cooling of Europe, a report by a team of American and European researchers speaks instead of maintaining, over the next century, warm temperatures in Atlantic waters.

How can this phenomenon be explained? Due to a marine current, the Current of the Needles, little studied by researchers, flows along the east coast of Africa, to the southwest. Arriving near Cape Town, South Africa, it undergoes a retroflexion to the east which circulates it again in the Indian Ocean. Scientists previously thought that only a small, negligible part of this current joined the Atlantic.

But satellite data and current measurements from the study, published in Nature, show that these warm, salty waters manage to enter, in the form of giant vortexes up to 300 km in diameter, into the colder and milder South Atlantic, causing the latter's waters to warm. While scientists do not know the actual body of water that this "leak" of the Aiguilles current represents, they believe that this current has warmed since the 1960s and that it should increase, due to the evolution of the wind direction in the region.

This study therefore calls into question the current forecasts of the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) for the next century. It concludes that there would be no cooling of the North Atlantic due to the effects of global warming in North America and Europe and that the increase in 'leakage' could offset the decrease in warm currents coming from the Gulf stream.

*source: Nature

946c8038-c0af-41ec-a55a-0313855b7bac.jpg
©Pierre Bouras - L'Occitane enProvence

Virtual Regatta

Almost a million virtual boats engaged on the Vendée Globe!
We are around the 1st third of the race and you can always register, join us and be part of the classification of the private race L'Occitane in Provence. Your boat will be positioned in the middle of the fleet.
Partner code: LOCCITANEVG20
New phenomenon:
Skippers sponsored specifically for the virtual Vendée Globe. This is the case for Loïck Peyron or the figarist Achille Nebout..
  • Like 1
blank.gif
  •  m27189_image62.jpg
  •  m27189_image62.jpg
  •  m27189_image62.jpg

Icebergs detected on the skippers' route: Antarctic Exclusion Zone raised by 5 degrees to improve safety

4 December 2020

Since 2008, CLS, Official Supplier of ice data for the Vendée Globe, has been using technologies and satellites designed and deployed by CNES (French National Center for Space Studies) and ESA (European Space Agency) to detect icebergs threatening the skippers' route. 

This year, a dozen satellites, including Sentinels 1 and 3, and no less than 300 radar images will be used to detect these UFOs (Unidentified Floating Objects) that haunt any sailor sailing in the southern seas. 

CLS radar imagery analysts have detected around 20 questionable icebergs in about 50 images in the Crozet and Kerguelen area of the French Southern and Antarctic Lands (TAAF). Faced with these doubts, the Vendée Globe race management, after consulting with CLS teams, did not hesitate to raise the Antarctic Exclusion Zone by 5 degrees further north, lengthening this safety cordon by more than 400km. The Antarctic Exclusion Zone is a virtual zone where the skippers are forbidden to sail under risk of encountering these icy monsters, a crossing that could endanger their safety but also cost them penalties. 

Let us also remember that space systems play an important role in rescue at sea. The rescue of Kevin Escoffier proved this on December 1, when the skipper triggered his COSPAS-SARSAT satellite distress beacon, the starting point of a rescue chain to which he owes his life. We'll take a look back at the heroic night a little further down in the press release. 

Jacques Caraës, Vendée Globe Race Director: " CLS, which works closely with CNES and ESA, is a key partner of the Vendée Globe. We could no longer imagine a race like the Vendée Globe without iceberg detection and risk mitigation services like theirs. CLS has developed unparalleled expertise in iceberg detection, thanks to its innovative solutions, its teams are helping us to make the race safer by detecting these ice monsters that threaten skippers. And nothing would be possible without space agencies such as CNES and ESA, which are developing impressive and often unique space segments in the world. In advanced space applications, unity is a formidable force. 

Antarctic Exlcusion Zone : major danger zone not to be crossed

Image1.png

The Antarctic Exclusion Zone (AEZ): 26,223 km in circumference, surrounds Antarctica and is home to several million icebergs. Among them, thousands have been clearly identified thanks to ESA and CNES satellites, and by the expertise of CLS teams in Earth observation and analysis.   

Since July, CLS imagery analysts have been scanning altimetry curves and radar images for icebergs that could threaten seasoned Vendée Globe skippers.  

A first version (V0) of this Antarctic Exclusion Zone was communicated this summer to the Vendée Globe Race Direction, then before the start: a slightly modified version (V1) was transmitted to the skippers.  

Crucial information which impacts the race distance, performacnce results and the lives and equipment carried on board.  

Space surveillance before and during the race 

Step 1: Predicting risk areas with altimetry 

Well before the start of the race, CLS teams worked on data from 4 altimetry satellites, normally used to measure mean sea level, and diverted from their primary use to pre-detect icebergs. 

Image2.png

This was a very important step that allowed them to know where to focus their research with radar images before the race, but also in operational mode when the skippers are in the southern zones. 

Sophie Coutin-Faye, head of altimetry projects at CNES"Space altimetry consists of taking radar altimeters on board satellites orbiting the Earth, capable of measuring the height of the oceans with centimeter level accuracy. To put it simply, the principle of altimetry measurement consists of emitting a wave towards the ocean from a satellite whose position is known to within a few millimeters, and measuring its return travel time. The height of the water surface overflown by the satellite is thus deduced. The applications are numerous, including the well-known monitoring of the rise in the average level of the oceans in connection with global warming, but also that of a better understanding of ocean currents in all oceans which is particularly useful for navigation.

This high-precision technology was developed in the 1990s jointly by CNES and NASA and is now being extended to other agencies such as ESA. For the pre-detection of icebergs, it is important to know that when the altimeter beam encounters a mountain of ice, it causes a modification of the return echo (see graph) that must be analyzed to conclude that this is indeed the signature of icebergs. Obviously, we could not deploy altimetry satellites for this use alone, but I find it very interesting to have such unexpected applications as securing an ocean race such as the Vendée Globe." 

STEP 2 : Detect the most threatening icebergs 

Image3.jpg

ESA has given the race privileged access to the European Sentinel-1A & 1B satellites. These satellites, funded by the European Commission, are capable of taking radar images, day or night, and can even see through clouds.  

The 400km x 400km images have a resolution of 50m.  

The ESA satellites, Sentinel-1A & 1B were programmed well in advance of the race to provide images until the last skipper leaves the ice. The satellite programming was adjusted according to the routes and needs of the race, between mid-November and the end of December. To complete this strategic vision, CLS also uses the privately owned Canadian satellite Radarsat-2, which on order can provide a resolution of up to 25m. 

Simonetta Cheli, Head of Strategy, Program and Coordination Office of ESA's Earth Observation Unit: "Sentinel-1 is a series of Earth observation satellites developed by the European Space Agency as part of the European Copernicus program, the first of which was placed in orbit in 2014.

Image4.jpg

"The objective of this program is to provide European countries with complete and updated data to enable them to control and monitor environnement. We are delighted that these data are now being used to improve the safety of Vendée Globe skippers". 

STEP 3 : Track detected icebergs 

Image5.jpg

It's possible to observe icebergs measuring 50 
or 25m in size, but its the small icebergs (growlers) resulting from the melting and dislocation of the larger ones that are dangerous for the boats in the race.

This is why the use of the CLS drift model simulates the drift but also the break-up and melting of the icebergs in order to define risk zones (orange and red squares on the images). 

This drift and melting model takes into account the currents, the wind, the sea state (sea level height, etc.), the surface temperature as well as the shape and size of the iceberg. 

As a result, CLS is able to provide Vendée Globe organizers with maps of the Southern Ocean with the location of iceberg populations and forecasts of their drift. CLS, in partnership with CNES and ESA, is supporting the Vendée Globe race management in its decision-making process.  

Crozet Zone - Kerguelen : Antarctic Exclusion Zone raised as Icebergs detected on the skippers' route 

About twenty icebergs were detected above the line, in nearly fifty radar images, in the Crozet- Kerguelen zone, in the TAAF, last week, which caused the elevation of the AEZ by 5 degrees, extending the circumference of this security cordon by more than 400km.  

In the figure below, the blue line is the new AEZ (V2), the white line (V1), the blue flakes are the icebergs detected, the white filaments represent their drift and the orange and red squares display the risk zones. 

Image6.jpg

Sophie Besnard, Director of International Affairs, in charge of managing the Vendée Globe project at CLS : 

"Since the start of the race, we have detected around 60 icebergs which have been identified as requiring close monitoring, most of them under the AEZ, except for those detected off the island of Crozet. In the Indian Ocean there is nothing for the moment, in the Pacific, there are a few icebergs, in front of the Ross Sea, where there is an area of very cold water. This year we are in a situation of lower iceberg density than in previous years. All our teams are mobilized, we still have half of the images to analyze by the end of the race out of the 300 planned. The most complicated period is after the passage of Cape Horn, the leader should pass this tense point a little before Christmas, the last one should pass it at the end of January. We are proud to be the Official Ice Data Supplier of the Vendée Globe and to be able to use the technologies and satellites developed and placed in orbit by CNES and ESA."  

Kévin Escoffier, a rescue guided from space 

On December 1st, navigator Kévin Escoffier saw his IMOCA break in two several hundred miles from the Cape of Good Hope (South Africa). Alone, in the middle of the icy ocean, facing the roaring forties, the skipper triggered his COSPAS-SARSAT distress satellite beacon (using data from the European satellite constellation Galileo), the starting point of a rescue chain to which he owes his life.

Image7.png

From the moment Kevin Escoffier sees his boat taking on water, everything speeds up, the moment water entered his racing boat within 4 minutes he was boarding his life raft. 

The skipper of PRB will only had time to : 

• Put on his TPS suit, a wetsuit preserving him from hypothermia in case of immersion in cold water, it also replaces the life jacket since it ensures flotation and turning over on the castaway's back, 
  • Trigger one of his COSPAS-SARSAT emergency beacons before boarding its lifeboat. 

The triggering was crucial and allowed the teams on land to get ready to launch the rescue and organize the successful rescue of the experienced skipper. 

Image8.jpg

Created during the Cold War by France, Canada, the United States and the USSR, the Cospas-Sarsat Program develops and operates a system for detecting, locating and transmitting distress alerts by satellite for search and rescue (SAR) 

Cospas-Sarsat provides the international community with accurate and reliable location data to assist search and rescue operations, using space-based instruments and ground facilities to detect and locate distress beacon signals.  

The international organization has been chaired by France since July 2020.  

Since 1982, the Cospas-Sarsat system has helped save more than 50,000 people in over 15,000 distress situations. In 2019, 2,774 people were saved worldwide thanks to COSPAS-SARSAT systems during 1,032 Search and Rescue operations.   

This event highlights the remarkable contribution of Cospas-Sarsat's new MEOSAR system. MEOSAR uses medium orbit satellites from the Galileo (Europe), GPS (US) and Glonass (Russia) constellations. The Galileo SAR service provided by the European Commission contributes significantly to this. 

The distress signals emitted by the navigator's French beacon were transmitted by the French Cospas-Sarsat Mission Control Centre (FMCC) to CROSS Gris-Nez, the coordination and rescue center which acts as the international maritime contact point in charge of monitoring the Vendée Globe. 

The FMCC is an operational center under the responsibility of the French Maritime Affairs Directorate (DAM) and the French Civil Aviation Authority (DGAC).  

The CNES, delegated by the Ministry of Europe and Foreign affairs, is the body representing France at Cospas-Sarsat. It provides the French resources for the Cospas-Sarsat Program, ensures its operational maintenance and development. CNES also acts as SGDSP (SAR Galileo Data Service Provider) and is in charge of the new Galileo return channel service to the Cospas-Sarsat beacons (RLS: Return Link Service). 

CLS operates, on behalf of the DAM and the DGAC, the exploitation of operational data processed by the FMCC. 

It was at 13:48 UTC that the satellites detected the distress signal emitted by the beacon of Kevin Escoffier, whose vessel had just sunk at high speed. At 13h51 UTC, 3 minutes later, the beacon signal was received by the CLS operator at the MCCF, after being routed by the Cospas-Sarsat MEOSAR satellite constellation. 

It took eleven hours of waiting for this event to have a happy ending: Kevin Escoffier was finally recovered by Jean Le Cam. The "king" Le CamJean, as he is nicknamed in the industry, has been praised for heroic act. 

Jean Le Cam Tweeted : 

"A huge relief! Kévin is safe and sound aboard Hubert". A liberating message.  

• Like 4

Thanks to Mysailing.com.au for these articles..

blank.gif
  •  The sides rise nearly 100 feet - photos courtesy of BFSAI

Images of the world's largest iceberg floating in the Southern Ocean

9 December 2020

BY THE MARITIME EXECUTIVE 12-07-2020 07:43:19

Britain’s Royal Air Force released dramatic images of what is believed to be the world’s largest iceberg as it drifts from the Antarctic shelf towards South Georgia island. Using enhanced technologies fitted aboard an RAF Airbus 400M, the crew, which is part of the British Forces South Atlantic Islands (BFSAI) force, captured detailed images of berg for scientists to study and predict the impact of this and other icebergs.

Known as A68a, the berg broke away from the Antarctica ice shelf in July 2017. At the time, scientists estimated its size at nearly 6,000 sq km (approximately 2,300 sq. miles). They said it could weigh more than one trillion tons.  

iceberg-4---BFSAI-photo.jpg

A68a as seen from the window of the aircraft - BFSAI photo

Over the past three years, they have been closely tracking its progress as it slowly drifts towards the British islands. While the berg has decreased by a third to approximately 4,200 sq km (1,600 sq miles) it remains the largest known piece to have broken from the ice shelf and is, of course, a menace to shipping. In addition to the island forced from the berg, shipping in the region faces danger as it breaks apart into what is known as tabular icebergs and debris that could pose a threat to patrol vessels.

The BBC reports that experts were surprised that A68a has not broken apart into a series of large pieces. They had expected it would have lost more of its mass before now. The sides of the berg reach as much as 100 feet in height above the water. The imagery of the vertical sides however uncovered tunnels under the iceberg, as well as deep fissures extending downwards that could be an indication of instability. 

Releasing its images, BFSAI said that the sheer size of A68a meant it was impossible to capture its entirety in one single shot from the A400M aircraft. Instead, they were able to observe with unprecedented detail cracks and fissures within the main body of the iceberg. The A400M crew members and an officer from the Government of South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands (GSGSSI) were also able to visually identify ice debris in the surrounding waters.

“Guided by the satellite tracking, the A400M can get under the weather and closer to the iceberg, enabling more detailed observations,” explained Squadron Leader Michael Wilkinson, Officer Commanding 1312 Flt. “I know I speak on behalf of all of the crew involved when I say this is certainly a unique and unforgettable task to be involved in.’’

iceberg-3---BFSAI-photo.jpg

Tunnel opening up in the massive berg - BFSAI photo

The A400M was able to capture the outline of the iceberg in detail. The reconnaissance provided close up imagery of the iceberg and surrounding waters for observers and scientists to enjoy and study. The data collected by the A400M reconnaissance has been shared with both GSGSSI and the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) who are following the progress of the A68a. The imagery stills, video footage, and visual observations will all assist in predicting the iceberg’s future behavior and ascertaining the scale of the threat to the local area.

Typically, the iceberg would have attracted the attention of the numerous cruise ships in the Southern Ocean during the summer, BFSAI said. However, with the global pandemic on-going, cruise ship traffic is negligible this year, meaning that the reconnaissance flight provided the only details on the berg and its current course. 

The latest observations confirmed that A68a remains on a course towards the island of South Georgia. It is expected to pass by the southern end of the island, however, there is a danger that it could ground on the continental shelf in which case it would pose a threat to the natural habitat of the local wildlife.

• Like 3

Manuard should consider designing a lower barrier to entry new imoca boats built in partnership with another production yard (e.g. not CDK) so several campaigns with more emphasis on sustainability/completing the race can pitch in together and build a few sister boats with some lessons from Credit Mutuel/Tripon's boat. And if the foiling boats want imoca class accomodation to give them even more competitive advantage, it'll be time for the non-foiling owners to ask for concessions for their benefit, whether re the max bow width, keel, rig or ballast tanks. Something that the programs and push the sliding scale to cost/reliability without the structural challenges of foiling boats in the whale strike lottery.

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Manuard should consider designing a lower barrier to entry new imoca boats built in partnership with another production yard (e.g. not CDK) so several campaigns with more emphasis on sustainability/completing the race can pitch in together and build a few sister boats with some lessons from Credit Mutuel/Tripon's boat. And if the foiling boats want imoca class accomodation to give them even more competitive advantage, it'll be time for the non-foiling owners to ask for concessions for their benefit, whether re the keel, rig or ballast tanks.  

L'Occitane was built by Black Pepper Yachts in Nantes : https://blackpepper.fr/en/home-english/

• Like 1

On to the aftermath of that LP system and learn who broke what (if they share) and on to some calmer winds, especially for the leaders. It will be interesting to see the convergence as the North, middle and South boats come together again, and I would expect the leaders will see their lead shrink a bit in the coming days, as they will get into some lighter air, while the other boats will keep moving (according to the Windy predictions). 

10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Like "new boats" pretty good budgets there is still the 'poor'. Such as Tripon (a 1st timer) and Ruyant as Miff points out who struggled financially and were touch and to get to start line at some point.

I agree, there is shoestring, and then there is SHOESTRING...

Benjamin explained in his last interview that it is because of the arrival of a last minute sponsor (OMIA) in September that he was able to by SOME new sails (so I assume that some of his sails are still not new for this race). He also explained that the new sails really changed the performance of the boat, and he is still learning how and when to hold back, and when to be on the attack.

I would assume that Armel Tripon and Thomas Ruyant have all new sails for the Vendée Globe.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, huey 2 said:

Over the past three years, they have been closely tracking its progress as it slowly drifts towards the British islands. While the berg has decreased by a third to approximately 4,200 sq km (1,600 sq miles) it remains the largest known piece to have broken from the ice shelf and is, of course, a menace to shipping. In addition to the island forced from the berg, shipping in the region faces danger as it breaks apart into what is known as tabular icebergs and debris that could pose a threat to patrol vessels.

The BBC reports that experts were surprised that A68a has not broken apart into a series of large pieces. They had expected it would have lost more of its mass before now. The sides of the berg reach as much as 100 feet in height above the water. The imagery of the vertical sides however uncovered tunnels under the iceberg, as well as deep fissures extending downwards that could be an indication of instability. 

Releasing its images, BFSAI said that the sheer size of A68a meant it was impossible to capture its entirety in one single shot from the A400M aircraft. Instead, they were able to observe with unprecedented detail cracks and fissures within the main body of the iceberg. The A400M crew members and an officer from the Government of South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands (GSGSSI) were also able to visually identify ice debris in the surrounding waters.

“Guided by the satellite tracking, the A400M can get under the weather and closer to the iceberg, enabling more detailed observations,” explained Squadron Leader Michael Wilkinson, Officer Commanding 1312 Flt. “I know I speak on behalf of all of the crew involved when I say this is certainly a unique and unforgettable task to be involved in.’’

Sam interview in today’s Daily Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/away-sea-long-wasnt-mum/

‘I was away at sea for so long, I wasn’t Mum any more’

Samantha Davies explains why she’s spending Christmas finishing the Vendée Globe – the world’s most dangerous yacht race
ByFleur Britten9 December 2020 • 6:00am

If everything goes according to plan, nine-year-old Ruben won’t be spending Christmas with his parents this year. In fact, he hasn’t seen them since the beginning of November, when they left to compete in the Vendée Globe, a non-stop, solo round-the-world yacht race that takes place every four years and covers around 24,000 nautical miles over three months – if you’re fast.

Ruben’s parents are professional skippers Samantha Davies, 46, from Portsmouth, and Romain Attanasio, a 43-year-old Frenchman, who live in Brittany and are the first couple ever to compete against each other in the race known as “the Everest of the seas”.

Well, at least they were until last Wednesday when Davies’s multi-million-pound yacht violently collided with a UFO (unidentified floating object) off the Cape of Good Hope. “I was unlucky,” she says, “because I was just making my dinner, stirring my vegetable tikka masala, which I ended up wearing. At least I wasn’t sat on the bucket [the loo] at the time. 

“I may have cracked my ribs, but I didn’t pass out. I lay down and put my legs up in the air and phoned the doctor and took my anti-inflammatories.”

She still has no idea what she hit, “but it was very solid. It could have been a massive whale, it could have been a container, but it was huge”. The damage to her keel was enough to force her out of the race. 

After Davies diverted to Cape Town to assess the impact, it soon became apparent that she – a mechanical engineering graduate from Cambridge – was not going to be able to repair the boat without external assistance, which is strictly forbidden. Was Ruben going to get an early Christmas present?

Perhaps not: Davies may now have retired from the race, but, incredibly, she is still on course for Plan A. The Vendée veteran (now on her third edition) says she is “determined” to complete the course as an unclassified “adventurer”, as soon as her boat is repaired. 

“I scared myself s---less in the crash,” she says. “As soon as it happened, I was ready to go home and be a mum. But the three days of sailing back to Cape Town gave me time to rest and reflect.” 

Today, she is focused on her mission, which now has two parts. First, it’s about getting back on the horse (“to go back and rebuild myself”). Secondly, it’s about saving children’s lives. Working with the French charity Mécénat Chirurgie Cardiaque, which enables underprivileged children to be flown to France for life-saving heart surgery, Davies’s journey so far has raised enough sponsorship to save 28 lives.

Maybe Ruben has learnt to count his blessings. With his maternal grandparents picking up the slack, it is with them that he’ll be staying, aboard their sailing boat (no washing machine, no hot or cold water, according to Davies). “I think our son would agree that he’s quite happy to say goodbye to us quite a few days before the start of the race, because we’re not actually very good parents at that point,” she tells me by phone before the race. “To perform at this level, I have to give 100 per cent – it’s like an Olympic campaign. Otherwise, there’s no point.”

It seems Ruben’s school is also happy about the arrangement: “He does his homework better and makes huge amounts of progress when he’s with his grandparents.”

With his parents’ itinerant lifestyle, his grandparents’ boat has become “the only thing that never changes in Ruben’s life”, says Davies. What is not a given, however, is his parents’ safety. Those of a more child-centric persuasion may well question whether such perils and protracted absences are in a child’s best interests.

But with a sportswom­an’s mindset firmly engaged, Davies says she doesn’t feel the criticism. “The best piece of advice I ever had was not to listen to anyone else, but to follow your own feeling. We are all different – for me it’s normal to be away, whereas some of my good friends could never leave their child for a night.”

It’s a feminist issue, of course. Few criticisms will be levelled at the many dads taking part, but if we want to see more sportswomen on the leadership boards, we need to cut them some slack on parenting: “The most important point is that Ruben has people that he trusts and that are going to give him the love and care that he needs – I am lucky that my parents love what we do and are only too happy to help.”

That’s not to say that Davies is not struck by guilt. Out on the ocean, she admits, “you suddenly realise: ‘I have forgotten I am a mum!’ And then I feel guilty for not having missed him. But if that were really an issue, then I wouldn’t be doing what I do.”

Offshore contact with Ruben is carefully managed in order to keep both parties on an even keel emotionally. For example, photos and pre-recorded videos are preferable to the frustrations of patchy Skype chats: “My parents will play the videos over and over again to him, and he gets to choose when he sees them,” Davies says. Where possible, she allows Ruben to dictate the amount of parental support he gets while they’re away but, she adds, “most parents would agree that the contact is more for you than the kids”.

Parental absences are, she adds, all he’s ever known: “I breastfed him for four months and then I went off sailing, so yeah, it’s normal for him.”

That said, Davies may never know the worst of Ruben’s longing. Her family follows a sailor’s code of contact to protect whomever is at sea from negativity: “Although I always wonder if he’s sad, my parents would never tell me. When you’re pushing hard in a race, all your emotions multiply and the news could be really hard to deal with.”

The hardest part of long-distance parenting is not the separation, Davies admits, but the reunion. “Your kid has grown up while you have forgotten how to be a mum. Once, I was away for nine months and wasn’t really his mum any more.”

Despite the crash, Davies is adamant she won’t be home for Christmas. “I’m not going to be expected to be on the next plane home – almost the opposite. My son has been like: ‘No, Mummy. Don’t come home yet!’ He’s enjoying himself with his grandparents.”  

There is a temptation, she explains, to spoil one’s child on the return. “The worst thing is if you don’t go straight back to a normal routine, you just prolong the re-establishment of a proper mother-child relationship. That’s when I’ve been completely lost at sea.”

Sam Davies is a Musto ambassador

Additional reporting by Tom Cary

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I agree, there is shoestring, and then there is SHOESTRING...

Benjamin explained in his last interview that it is because of the arrival of a last minute sponsor (OMIA) in September that he was able to by SOME new sails (so I assume that some of his sails are still not new for this race). He also explained that the new sails really changed the performance of the boat, and he is still learning how and when to hold back, and when to be on the attack.

I would assume that Armel Tripon and Thomas Ruyant have all new sails for the Vendée Globe.

OK, then lets talk SHOESTRING for a moment: let's assume I want to participate in the VG24, I buy the cheapest IMOCA60 that is compliant with the rules and is capable of getting around the globe. I buy it in 2022, train on the boat for 2 years and then do the race. How much money would I need in total?

19 minutes ago, minca3 said:

OK, then lets talk SHOESTRING for a moment: let's assume I want to participate in the VG24, I buy the cheapest IMOCA60 that is compliant with the rules and is capable of getting around the globe. I buy it in 2022, train on the boat for 2 years and then do the race. How much money would I need in total?

From this thread (I'm sorry it's in french, might be readable with google translate) https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/tavern/budgets-vendee-globe-2020#5fa9374a040dbf52572f6f2a

Could be true, could be complete bull...

Sebastien Destremeau is said to be operating on a 400 000€ euros budget, boat included

PRB is said to be operating on a 500 000€ a year budget, which is 2 Million € over the four year campaign, boat not included, the boat was supposed to be sold 2 Million €  after the campaign,

And Charal's budget is said to be 15 Million € over four years, boat included,

Edit : completed post with figures from the thread

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Varan said:

^^^ nice read, thanks.

How do you get dirt under your fingernails when you have been at sea for a month?

lo.thumb.jpg.945901264b937397330e3570497e755d.jpg

Perhaps a vegetable garden on board?

Cheers.

winch grease, engine oil or grease

• Like 1
22 hours ago, stief said:

Link? Most of the maps I found so far are species specific. Dee mentions the stuff coming down the Agulhas current

Dug that map out of a folder on the PC, cannot remember where it came from.
On these vague trans-ocean routes, spices specific may not make a huge difference south of Cape Hope.
Still so much unknown about these southern migration routes.

Chay's other half maybe the best bet?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, huey 2 said:

Thanks to Mysailing.com.au for these articles..

blank.gif

Images of the world's largest iceberg floating in the Southern Ocean

9 December 2020

BY THE MARITIME EXECUTIVE 12-07-2020 07:43:19

Britain’s Royal Air Force released dramatic images of what is believed to be the world’s largest iceberg as it drifts from the Antarctic shelf towards South Georgia island. Using enhanced technologies fitted aboard an RAF Airbus 400M, the crew, which is part of the British Forces South Atlantic Islands (BFSAI) force, captured detailed images of berg for scientists to study and predict the impact of this and other icebergs.

Known as A68a, the berg broke away from the Antarctica ice shelf in July 2017. At the time, scientists estimated its size at nearly 6,000 sq km (approximately 2,300 sq. miles). They said it could weigh more than one trillion tons.  

iceberg-3---BFSAI-photo.jpg

Tunnel opening up in the massive berg - BFSAI photo

The A400M was able to capture the outline of the iceberg in detail. The reconnaissance provided close up imagery of the iceberg and surrounding waters for observers and scientists to enjoy and study. The data collected by the A400M reconnaissance has been shared with both GSGSSI and the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) who are following the progress of the A68a. The imagery stills, video footage, and visual observations will all assist in predicting the iceberg’s future behavior and ascertaining the scale of the threat to the local area.

Typically, the iceberg would have attracted the attention of the numerous cruise ships in the Southern Ocean during the summer, BFSAI said. However, with the global pandemic on-going, cruise ship traffic is negligible this year, meaning that the reconnaissance flight provided the only details on the berg and its current course. 

The latest observations confirmed that A68a remains on a course towards the island of South Georgia. It is expected to pass by the southern end of the island, however, there is a danger that it could ground on the continental shelf in which case it would pose a threat to the natural habitat of the local wildlife.

Very interesting but it's not a thread to the vendee globe fleet. Nearest island, southern Georgia Island, has no known permanent inhabitants.
929618751_Larsen-Ciceshelf.thumb.PNG.5985a82a1d41e97b48c254b9a7576a5b.PNG
The wind could turn, Perhaps it runs aground.
800px-South_Georgia_and_the_South_Sandwich_Islands_in_United_Kingdom_svg.thumb.png.a287f9a8394040837b678d42c056e810.png
Old whaling towns
1920px-Leith_whaling_station.thumb.JPG.4eddf0e2402f8436752d6327a2dc6cd0.JPG

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Why the radio silence from Hugo Boss?

Any pictures of the damage other than a shot from the dock?

Because he's out of the race?

10 minutes ago, Liquid said:

The word is they don't want speculation from the internet as to what happened.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Liquid said:

I might have missed something here.  The only image I saw was of the transom with no starboard rudder.  Were there any other images that showed a damaged rudder.  

Isabelle eats the southern ocean for breakfast:

" The wind has been blowing strong, 35, 40 knots since this morning. The sea is foaming, powerful, indomitable. Sitting in my seat, while my MACSF surfs, I am mesmerised by the spectacle of nature in the wild. Cradled, dazzled, I feel like I am dough kneaded by the elements. " (Isabelle Joschke, VG site)

" Cette femme est imperturbable !!! "  (comment on youtube, This woman is imperturbable !!!)

• Like 9

When plotting courses for these boats, do the navigator(s) take the eddies of the ACC into account? Would seem that 1-2 knot current is a non-factor when the wind is blowing 30-40 knots, but maybe at low wind speeds? 

currents.JPG

wind.JPG

Been gone for several days, Two days of futile racing in light to zero winds followed up two and half days of work.  All of which conspire to interfere with my hacknavigation.

Two things I notice.  The update rankings seem to nearly always state a dubious boat heading. The numbers posted below are based on four hourly updates of lat/lon to lat/lon so averaged out (except 2100 to 0400). Not sure how the vendee are calculating the headings.

Second is that Louis Burton is going to be very busy over the next 12 hours or so!

Vendee20.JPG

vendeetrackup.JPG

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

" The wind has been blowing strong, 35, 40 knots since this morning. The sea is foaming, powerful, indomitable. Sitting in my seat, while my MACSF surfs, I am mesmerised by the spectacle of nature in the wild. Cradled, dazzled, I feel like I am dough kneaded by the elements. " (Isabelle Joschke, VG site)

" Cette femme est imperturbable !!! "  (comment on youtube, This woman is imperturbable !!!)

I am loving the tenacity of this sailor.  She is making smart decisions, pushing her comfort zone and now is hanging, if not eating away at at those ahead.  If she can keep it all together past this seemingly confused section of ocean I could see her start to slowly move up again.  It is not a sprint and she gets it.

As to that breakfast...not so sure.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, J_Grove said:

When plotting courses for these boats, do the navigator(s) take the eddies of the ACC into account? Would seem that 1-2 knot current is a non-factor when the wind is blowing 30-40 knots, but maybe at low wind speeds?

Right now from what I gather the head is trying to get through the hellish conditions (strong squals, big nasty crossed seas) the indian ocean is throwing at them, without breaking the boat or themselves... intense.

Edit: In very low wind speeds / lulls I'd think they take everything into account

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

My favorite woman on this Vendée, no mannerism alla Clarisse, just perfect sailing, quietness and boldness as well

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Geff said:

Caudrelier praises Dalin’s control at the front of the race.

https://www.imoca.org/en/news/news/caudrelier-praises-dalin-s-control-at-the-front-of-the-race

Too bad Caudrelier has never had the opportunity to set a proper Vendée Globe project, but good for the Ocean race :)

was interesting the insights he gave on the first victory by Cammas on the Volvo on how some sailors of Groupama team mistrust Franck Cammas and didnt want to obey him meanwhile he was the skipper and by far a better sailor than anybody else in every aspects of the sailing.

Beyou has caught the backmarkers, but is struggling to pass them, surely should be significantly faster in basically the same conditions.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Laurent said:

Burton has sails that went around last edition with Armel. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, J_Grove said:

When plotting courses for these boats, do the navigator(s) take the eddies of the ACC into account? Would seem that 1-2 knot current is a non-factor when the wind is blowing 30-40 knots, but maybe at low wind speeds

That's a free ride of 5 - 10% boatspeed at 20k and not against the wind so better sea state. 

3 hours ago, Schakel said:

Very interesting but it's not a thread to the vendee globe fleet. Nearest island, southern Georgia Island, has no known permanent inhabitants.

This one uninhabited ahead St Paul and looks inviting for a rest and fix things....it's not.

Think water depth at entrance at a craters 'edge' and when inside water depth 'inside' a crater. 

images - 2020-12-07T193146.664.jpeg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That's a free ride of 5 - 10% boatspeed at 20k and not against the wind so better sea state. 

Yes knowing how they must try to squeeze every bit of speed out it seems reasonable even if of very secondary importance to wind. But listening to race reports, reading Herman's and other posts, etc never heard/saw it mentioned. The data from altimeters that measures the SSH may be up to a few days old depending on position relative to satellite ground track and orbit, but there's numerical ocean models that constantly assimilate this data and update surface current ocean product. I would think these teams with high dollar budgets would be tapping into something like that.

• Downvote 1