Yannick Bestaven is now in position number 3.
2090707005_YannickBestaven.PNG.19a5e9690d231cd2127852bfa8d548df.PNG

Translation: We arrived in paradise! It's big blue sky, the water is beautiful, there is a nice swell behind me which boosts the boat, I have 25 knots of wind, sometimes a few peaks at 30 knots, but nothing bad compared to what the 'we have known ".

So all is well...

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, cortosam said:

https://www.tipandshaft.com/podcasts/posreport/episode6-marcus-hutchinson-vincent-lauriot-prevost/

Very interesting interview with a lot of insights reguarding what we were discussions, foils, shape, etc...

Im going to work on the translation today

It was great indeed. I would have liked to hear Vincent LP' take on Hugo Boss structure, but hey...

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Sobedo is in trouble, apparently has rudder damage and has been going less than 10 knots for several hours. VG boats catching up.

Joyon records are always hard to beat

• Like 3
2 hours ago, cms said:

Mich Dej lost a whole heap of credibility with the Disastrous Beneteau First 30 which JK dumped. Putting his name to it was not good for his reputation, and there have been a few other similar things that make one wonder how in touch he is with the advances that have been made? His status as a legend might be better protected by silence?

I am not disagreeing, merely looking to flesh out my knowledge. Why was this boat disastrous? Was it a bad boat or did it miss the market? 

5 minutes ago, danstanford said:

I am not disagreeing, merely looking to flesh out my knowledge. Why was this boat disastrous? Was it a bad boat or did it miss the market? 

branded as a racing boat but was a pig to sail (too much interior, odd backstay-less rig and tiny cockpit). it's a 32 footer that weighs almost 4 tons. Benne have since changed tacks with the acquisition of Seascape and make much more exciting boats in this size range.

10 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Arkea Parec is going to be tansported back to France by cargo, leaving in about 10 days.

2020 09 26 Lo (11).jpg

That same harbour gets a new Imoca joining the group of those who are unable to finish the race:
Fabrice Amadeo, Newrest- Art & Fenêtre.
Both computers onboard crashed and het's not able to continue.
1930008765_FabriceAmadeo.PNG.2c49b1628cdb60dda1552b389b89b79c.PNG
Knipsel.PNG.ee95535440a8d40c0ed32abd79adfbe7.PNG
Without the computers he's Blind in Navigation, he claims.
Wheather fore cast is another thing he misses without computer.
20 years ago that would be bad seamanship.

• Like 1

It would be quite a development if he did choose to continue "blind". 

I assume he couldn't use a routing software etc. 

But he probably still has a handheld GPS or similar.

And does he have back up e-maps... i don't dare to suggest paper maps :)

Would be quite the old school RTW... taking the mini spirit to a larger scale.

2 minutes ago, bclovisp said:

It would be quite a development if he did choose to continue "blind". 

I assume he couldn't use a routing software etc. 

But he probably still has a handheld GPS or similar.

And does he have back up e-maps... i don't dare to suggest paper maps :)

Would be quite the old school RTW... taking the mini spirit to a larger scale.

True, but it shows how we rely on computers within one generation.
Almost scary.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, bclovisp said:

Actually what do the SIs and Regs say? Is it no longer compulsory to have traditional maps, sextant and UHF (or similar receiver) when being more than 200m offshore?

11.3 Navigation and safety equipment

In addition to the equipment required by the IMOCA Class, the OA requires the following equipment to be on board and which will be inspected by the ocean-racing equipment inspectors:

• A handheld Iridium telephone with spare batteries (Rule C2.26(c) of the IMOCA Class rules)

• The following telephone numbers must be registered in the back-up Iridium telephone before the start:

• ü  CROSS Gris Nez +33.321.872.187

• ü  Race HQ Red Line: this number will be communicated to Skippers when

they are in Les Sables d'Olonne, before the start of the race.

• ü  Skipper’s Team Manager's telephone number

• A handheld GMDSS VHF radio with a long-life battery. This VHF must be located

in the grab bag.

• Navigation documents: navigation charts, mandatory light books on board (Rule

C4.6 of the IMOCA Class Rules).

• The whole of the route between Les Sables d'Olonne and Les Sables d'Olonne on

paper charts, long voyage format (scale between 1/5 000 000 and 1/10 000 000).

• Paper charts, photocopies or screenshots for the landfalls:

Cape Town
     Kerguelen
     Heard Island
     Perth and South-West Australia
     Tasmania, Bath and South-East Australia  New Zealand, South Island and its dangers  Cape Horn

State Islands and the Falkland Islands

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Snowden said:

branded as a racing boat but was a pig to sail (too much interior, odd backstay-less rig and tiny cockpit). it's a 32 footer that weighs almost 4 tons. Benne have since changed tacks with the acquisition of Seascape and make much more exciting boats in this size range.

Tiny cockpit definately not

26052011281.jpg

Speculation time, I am sure he has a stand alone gps, I really doubt he is lost. He must have comms because we know what is going on. Could he not "retire" and use a shore based router but still sail around the course ?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Almost scary.

The boat may need a computer to sail properly.  To know the bow's angle of attack (height wise) to waves, coordinate autopilot and determine how much foil to extend...  Without being able to coordinate all this, singlehanded, it's a bit like flying a fighter jet under visual rules in the dark.  The plane will fly, but you might drive it into a mountain.  Sam Davies was considering getting her boat repaired and then continuing RTW, but she was not having computer problems. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, V21 said:

Speculation time, I am sure he has a stand alone gps, I really doubt he is lost. He must have comms because we know what is going on. Could he not "retire" and use a shore based router but still sail around the course ?

Without weather reports like this?
141894196_Apivia3.PNG.c8375407ddd7701b2be514024b1bbed0.PNG
Only radio, In the old days there was a weatherfax.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, steinbrenner said:

typical charter cockpit, ok maybe performance-charter and not touristic-charter, but definitely looks not like high end sailing machine

If you look at the interious was never suppose to be sold as high end sailing machine ... anyway lets go back to VG

24 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Almost scary.

While I can see this point, I think it has certain feel of luddite.

However, what I would put more attention to is how one manages to break two computers in relative short time? Is issue maybe bad quality power feed or pure low cost computers? Could this have been avoided?

Even paper charts can get wet or wind rip those to pieces if not used with proper care...

Navigation redundancy for emergency purposes to get to safe harbor is one thing. Actually trying to single hand when instrumentation is off, dead reckoning inaccurate and no easy sight of the sun even at noon? Plus being exhausted re spending so many days trying to whittle down the job list?

If you think it should be an easy task to go the rest of the way without weather or reliable nav, get your head checked for reality.  Because that’s how you get wrecked on the coast of Western Australia. 

• Like 3

There is a lot of (quite) southern ocean(s)* to go to be relying on your manual backups (paper charts, handheld GPS and/or sextant, voice weather forecast) and you are now no longer competitive. He does not lose my respect for making the seasman ship call of heading into port, its not a quick overnighter.

* To avoid the wrath of @littlechay

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Coconuts.is said:

Fabrice 's on-board computer and back up on-board computer is dead. Those are responsible for routing/performance/on-board camaras etc. but does not control anything with his automatic pilot.  

Thanks. 

And it has an extremely high possibility of a cascading/escalating failures of increasing severity. No computers? You've lost the ability to quickly send texts, send/receive instructions/diagrams, communication with the shoreteam. Yes satellite voice coms and handheld texts might work but it isn't the same. Ppl who are flippant about it saying "ha ha told you modernity sucks" - well the real comparable situation would be someone tearing up your charts, throwing the sextant on the ground and breaking it then hitting your navigator on the head so hard he's seeing stars. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Without weather reports like this?
141894196_Apivia3.PNG.c8375407ddd7701b2be514024b1bbed0.PNG
Only radio, In the old days there was a weatherfax.

Thousands of people relied on just Herb and not weatherfax. 

47 minutes ago, stief said:

Conrad Humphreys agrees: "i've never seen such a tightly knit group of boats which makes it incredibly exciting." 

Remarkable for the VG, that is. 

Like a pride of young lions testing each other.  Waiting for when the moment comes to strike.

Wise old Alpha JLC waiting, watching.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, stief said:

Waiting to see what the preparateurs have to say.  Expected more cascading failures because of COVID restrictions getting the boats ready.

I think you're lost.

49 minutes ago, bclovisp said:

Actually what do the SIs and Regs say? Is it no longer compulsory to have traditional maps, sextant and UHF (or similar receiver) when being more than 200m offshore?

It is still mandatory to have paper maps and a sextant, part of the "security package" 

1 minute ago, blunderfull said:

Wise old Alpha JLC waiting, watching

:lol:  . ..  for a chance to troll again? He suckered us with the flying fish, wound up the foil debate, had fun wit 'rosbif and much more .At least he didn't make "ground beef" jabs when Alex got grounded or netted (publicly).

Entertaining, exceptional sailor, but wouldn't buy a used sailboat from him.

11 boats all withing roughly 500 nm and Isabelle working hard to get into that coveted 8th spot so she can get on Herman's routing report ^_^  This is one hell of a race.  If Pip catches that next wave she may make still catch up to the "boys" as she once talked about.  There is good racing along the fleet and while Apivia may have the ability to "turn it on" it looks like his gearing will take a hit with the hole in front of him.  That will really make this interesting.

When it says Amedeo is "not able to continue", does that mean he's just doubling back to see if he can repair and continue, or does it mean he's abandoning?

I mean...  I'm not sure if repairing a computer is possible alone, nor why being near shore would help him to do so...  But yesterday's communication seemed to suggest he was heading back to attempt repair, and the newer communication is unclear whether that's still the plan vs. abandon.

and here we are just about at the half way mark.........  great race, and a lot more to go.... go Cam go:)

6 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

When it says Amedeo is "not able to continue", does that mean he's just doubling back to see if he can repair and continue, or does it mean he's abandoning?

I mean...  I'm not sure if repairing a computer is possible alone, nor why being near shore would help him to do so...  But yesterday's communication seemed to suggest he was heading back to attempt repair, and the newer communication is unclear whether that's still the plan vs. abandon.

I think he should do his 'repairs' in Tahiti, at least that would be worth leaving les Sables

15 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Not sure, but if he has really good guys on shore providing detailed testing procedures, out of two PCs, making a single working one still looks like possible, but from what he is saying he already has spent days trying to repair the first one in the south Atlantic (first one broke crossing the first front), that must be so annoying... 

33 minutes ago, TPG said:

I think you're lost a loser

FIFY. I'm with Alden Nowlen

Word from the Losers

Alden Nowlan

Wandering through books as though on a beach

with eyes downcast for wreckage from a battle

at sea, I’ve collected such messages

as have come floating in from the lost ships

of history’s losers.

For instance, the tea

was dumped into Boston harbour  to protect

the liberty of Boston tea merchants

to go on making profits of one thousand percent.

and those old French aristocrats

were mostly farmers in patched breeches, lucky

if, besides their patents of nobility,

they owned a cow, a pig and half an acre of cabbages,

and the still older Romans

would, ordinarily, kill a Christian only

if the Christian insisted - furthermore,

the lions usually were so afraid

the would-be martyrs had to torment them

much as the matador torments the bull,

which, come to think of it, could be

how all that business with the capes got started.

If Lucifer had done to God what God did

to Lucifer when there was war in Heaven,

destroy his army. imprison him in a pit,

then, of course, the Devil would have dictated

the Bible, beginning with how he rescued

Adam and Eve from the jungle where they

had been kept naked, starving and ignorant.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Schakel said:

Almost scary.

This is simply observable fact. It does not connote Luddism or suggest one should engage in the suicidal heroics of sailing an Imoca without them. The skipper determined he was unable to carry on because of mission critical equipment failure, like others have before him and no doubt others still to come. 

1 hour ago, Schakel said:

That same harbour gets a new Imoca joining the group of those who are unable to finish the race:
Fabrice Amadeo, Newrest- Art & Fenêtre.
Both computers onboard crashed and het's not able to continue.
1930008765_FabriceAmadeo.PNG.2c49b1628cdb60dda1552b389b89b79c.PNG
Knipsel.PNG.ee95535440a8d40c0ed32abd79adfbe7.PNG
Without the computers he's Blind in Navigation, he claims.
Wheather fore cast is another thing he misses without computer.
20 years ago that would be bad seamanship.

2 computers down and he's out? If the computers are that critical he only has 2 of them?  They're not that heavy or expensive.

I have colleagues who get through them faster in an ordinary office, accepted a few go missing during pub visits. How do they expect them to standup in that environment?

Something not right here.

2 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Not sure, but if he has really good guys on shore providing detailed testing procedures, out of two PCs, making a single working one still looks like possible, but from what he is saying he already has spent days trying to repair the first one in the south Atlantic (first one broke crossing the first front) 

Just saying a computer is "broke" is like saying the boat is broke so it won't sail; way to general to understand or speculate on how to fix it though his shore people would be the best source.  if the two computers were the same or similar then it could be possible to swap out cards or memory or drives, but broke could mean the motherboard is trashed and if the other one failed it could have been a power surge that could have fried boards or the power converter (had both of those happen to me).  

I do think it is a very smart and seamanship type of decision to head to save harbor.  As it seems he's done this more than once, this is a race and if you are not only not compatative, but sailing with very little safety margin in what is high performance racing sailboat, what is gained continuing.  Sponsors don't benefit if something bad happens later on.  Maybe he gets into port, swaps computers and like Sam decides to finish off the books.  Maybe the two can have a mini race, but in the end...good call.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, European Bloke said:

2 computers down and he's out? If the computers are that critical he only has 2 of them?  They're not that heavy or expensive.

I have colleagues who get through them faster in an ordinary office, accepted a few go missing during pub visits. How do they expect them to standup in that environment?

Something not right here.

Pretty sure Fabrice will point out later what caused the problems, lighting and being drenched might explain 2 computers crashing.

5 minutes ago, ant1 said:

There are no details upthread, just a random guy on an internet forum that made up a story...there is no such interview on M6... and can't find a single other source, anywhere, that even hints at that

Thanks for checking. I couldn't. It seemed likely when JLC's cheek looked OK in the next vid I saw.

31 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks for checking. I couldn't. It seemed likely when JLC's cheek seemed OK in the next vid I saw.

Actually, after really digging, he did tell m6 it was a joke... ! Strangely it hasn't been picked up by any other sources since...

At 2:25 he says it was a joke

Well... they got me good :)

He must have hurt his cheek some other way since he has antibiotic cream over a scar in the video preparing for the nivose

• Like 3

Good reasons by Amadeo for not continuing, though he could. Clear enough, even through gtrans

It is possible to continue the old way, without information and thus cross the South Seas. Let yourself be pushed by the elements for a month towards Cape Horn. But our foil boats are devilish in strong winds and I want to be able to sail according to a principle that has always been mine:as a good sailor and having the feeling of controlling my safety and that of my boat. So I decided to stop my Vendée Globe in Cape Town. It was a decision that was difficult to take but that I take responsibility for.

• Like 6
34 minutes ago, ant1 said:

There are no details upthread, just a random guy on an internet forum that made up a story...there is no such interview on M6... and can't find a single other source, anywhere, that even hints at that

The "random guy", as you called him, posted here and he never make stories ..... Glad you found the video by yourself 

• Like 3

Dalin is looking really fast on the latest sked - 23 knots.  I wonder if he is trying to regain the lead that got eaten up the last few hours.  Is he taking risks that he did not want to take just to regain that buffer?  Or is he just in better conditions?  Or a combination?

7 minutes ago, stief said:

Saw that, and snickered. More politics, bleagh. 

I mean they kind of have to respond when certain folks were going off talking about PRB being a VPLP/Verdier creation (including some in this forum) AFTER something went wrong while during the build up, JuanK was being paraded around podcasts, media for his role with PRB, AP and Corum. Some people call it politics, other ppl call it correcting the record because some folks have a history of pirouetting away from failures and it is always someone elses' fault. Where's Juan now? Thought he loved talked to Ocean Race & VG media folks. 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1
1 minute ago, Miffy said:

I mean they kind of have to respond when certain folks were going off talking about PRB being a VPLP/Verdier creation (including some in this forum) AFTER something went wrong while during the build up, JuanK was being paraded around podcasts, media for his role with PRB, AP and Corum. Some people call it politics, other ppl call it correcting the record because some folks have a history of pirouetting away from failures and it is always someone elses' fault.

Good point. Expect it will be years, if ever, that Juan K's rep is ever truly known. 

Liked this bit by JLC's wife. 

Neither God nor master

The improbable exchange, the result of an initiative by the Elysée, was secretly coordinated by the organization of the race then Anne Le Cam, Jean's wife, who is delighted without getting any glory.

“It was really funny. I'm a bit like Jean on this, I'm not going to fall from the clouds even if he's the President of the Republic. But it was really cool that there was recognition for two amazing people in the truest sense of the word. "

The speech sticks with the idea she has of her husband, a man whose merit is, she says, to speak in the same way to President Macron as to the gardener. “There is no god, only human beings. The Cam only has high esteem for the seas and oceans of the Globe, which he knows he is at the mercy of every time he sets off for a round-the-world trip on his sailboat. "It's not for nothing that he offers a Chateau-Thénac to Neptune and not Préfontaine," laughs Anne, who nevertheless refrains from intellectualizing her relationship to the sea. "It's his life, it's his work is his tool. Oceans and seas are part of his profession. He knows that he doesn't have a poetic relationship with the sea. Sometimes he's amazed, he thinks it's beautiful but he's not going to overdo it. "

gtrans https://a4bsnbvhuot3dzt2slku24f6di--www-20minutes-fr.translate.goog/sport/2923499-20201204-vendee-globe-vieux-loup-mer-rigolard-competiteur-mille-visages-roi-jean-cam Cred to T&S for the heads up

• Like 8
17 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Wish I understood French or that autotranslate was better than useless. Ruyant appears to have needed to drop his main.

Looked ripped, but maybe batten adjustment? He ends by saying all's well, so that was good.

17 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Wish I understood French or that autotranslate was better than useless. Ruyant appears to have needed to drop his main.

With the pounding it gives a good idea how hard life aboard an Imoca over there is.
He doesn't appear to be bothered by coid. Cold makes the situation worse.

8 hours ago, Herman said:

Weather update

Dalin and Ruyant in lighter winds now compared to the followers. Lady Fortuna rolled the dice again, and Dalin seems to have won a very small private HP zone. See pic 1. Which was not projected yesterday by GFS, see pic 4. 

I saw that HP zone earlier in the week and made some uneducated guess that the leaders and the peloton would compress. So, I was surprised when you posted your routing yesterday and stated that the "rich are getting richer." I looked again at the weather and indeed the HP seemed to have disappeared. And here it is again... It reappeared actually last night (Pacific time zone) in the forecasts. 

Nice little insight into how the teams let the race direction know not to worry about tracker changes.

Antoine Carraz also made the link with the race director who is not necessarily directly with the boat but who is watching: “That night, when Charlie sent me a message to tell me that things were going well or that he was going to maneuver, I called the race direction so that they wouldn't worry about the speed which has decreased or the heading which has changed ”.

Lots more good stuff about Dalin and his team here

• Like 2
Just now, AnotherSailor said:

I saw that HP zone earlier in the week and made some uneducated guess that the leaders and the peloton would compress. So, I was surprised when you posted your routing yesterday and stated that the "rich are getting richer." I looked again at the weather and indeed the HP seemed to have disappeared. And here it is again... It reappeared actually last night (Pacific time zone) in the forecasts. 

Everyone seems to forget the belgians.
Watch this guy.
Yannick Bestaven on maitre Coq 4.
1418480734_YannickBestaven3.thumb.jpeg.1f0f02faedd668c6b60de47af6c682c9.jpeg
298344499_Maitrecoq4.PNG.e328c311a2760fd534ead43657dba670.PNG
572560318_YannickBestaven2.PNG.cc40d522cd8885eb412a8e45f3626dce.PNG

29 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Quickly:

All is well on board. Life is quite hard, i had to bear away to go to the loo and change my pants.

Weather has been better the last couple of days and it feels great to see that it will continue that.

Noting about the main.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Link said:

Had to bear away to go to the toilets and change undies.

that's something I've been thinking of a lot because it seems that these sailors are like comic heroes, you never watch them going to toilet, nobody talks about it, it's sort of taboo

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

And it has an extremely high possibility of a cascading/escalating failures of increasing severity. No computers? You've lost the ability to quickly send texts, send/receive instructions/diagrams, communication with the shoreteam. Yes satellite voice coms and handheld texts might work but it isn't the same. Ppl who are flippant about it saying "ha ha told you modernity sucks" - well the real comparable situation would be someone tearing up your charts, throwing the sextant on the ground and breaking it then hitting your navigator on the head so hard he's seeing stars. 

I think I am clearly wrong here, but It gave me some thoughts. I suspect that the computers are more integrated into all aspects of the boat that commonly found. I was thinking how a computer failure would affect a class 40 I am somewhat familiar with, of course adrena is a powerful tool, however on that boat if the computer went down, you would lose AIS as there is no dedicated ais display, you would lose the ability to download GRIBS and do your own routing, but you could still get onshore text routing daily or twice daily e-mail from someone like commander weather or simply a trusted buddy with at the very least the ability to get yourself away from dangerous weather.

GPS, RADAR, electronic charting on Ipad, instruments, autopilots, comms via iridium would all still work. I know that getting shoreside routing would require retirement in most races. On that boat losing the computer would be a bummer, but maybe not the emergency that Armedeo is facing. I wonder how much more the computer is in charge of on a modern IMOCA, perhaps the instruments or pilot don't have separate "brains", I'm not sure modern RADAR's have dedicated displays anymore.

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

I mean they kind of have to respond when certain folks were going off talking about PRB being a VPLP/Verdier creation (including some in this forum) AFTER something went wrong while during the build up, JuanK was being paraded around podcasts, media for his role with PRB, AP and Corum. Some people call it politics, other ppl call it correcting the record because some folks have a history of pirouetting away from failures and it is always someone elses' fault. Where's Juan now? Thought he loved talked to Ocean Race & VG media folks. 

Forum politics and whining here from Muppy :rolleyes: 

7 minutes ago, steinbrenner said:

that's something I've been thinking of a lot because it seems that these sailors are like comic heroes, you never watch them going to toilet, nobody talks about it, it's sort of taboo

Alan Roura mentioned it in one of the video presentations of his boat, he explained how to use the blue bucket :)

46 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

He doesn't say anything regarding why he dropped his main, but apparently just some tweaking job, at the end he says the days ahead look better than the previous ones or even previous weeks

2 minutes ago, yl75 said:

He doesn't say anything regarding why he dropped his main, but apparently just some tweaking job, at the end he says the days ahead look better than the previous ones or even previous weeks

He didn´t drop the main mate; il a juste du abattre!

6 minutes ago, Link said:

He didn´t drop the main mate; il a juste du abattre!

That was to take a shit and change his calbute/underwear ! But after that you see him working on his dropped main.