Most, if not all of the IMOCA fleet have dual AP "brains", also known as computers. The AP computer is in a standalone box (likely with an ARM processor inside) and is absolutely capable of sailing the boat if their is no additional computer, with a few exceptions (Hugo Boss/Nokia Bell Labs feed-forward setup comes to mind). Likely the issue that Fabrice is describing is that his primary AP computer died early on, and his spare has also now died, meaning he has to hand steer.

• Like 5
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

1 hour ago, minca3 said:

link (with translation)?

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/actualites/20908/jeremie-beyou-je-me-concentre-sur-la-glisse-du-bateau

"The descent of the Atlantic and the bypass of St. Helena were long and painful. I am on the edge of a los pressure downwind, so I have to tack, so it goes fast, but I am not progressing very fast towards the goal. I'm trying to get the boat moving as best I can even if the sea is short and the wind is irregular. It's hard to have stable speeds there.

I'd like to be in the front group to tackle the Indian Ocean, in terms of safety it's better. The problem is that the few miles they have ahead of them means they stay ahead of the front longer than me. Once the front catches up with me, I start to fall behind again. I have to get past them before it gets to me. I left ten days after everyone else, but I'm not here to take any ill-considered risks: from now on my challenge is to bring the boat and the skipper back to the end of the race in good condition. I try not to do anything foolish.

Charal is a great boat that just wants to go fast, but we're only at the start of the race so I think the worst thing to do would be to push and break everything. I would be very sorry. I try to go smoothly, even a notch below. I'm not going to find myself in 15th or 10th place just by forcing myself on the boat, it would take a combination of circumstances and weather conditions for me to gain places. I'm really trying to spare the boat even if it has some underfoot. If I see that there are opportunities to come back to the front group, I'll try to take advantage of them and put a little pressure on it. I'm really into management here, it's a different Vendée Globe for me and I have to deal with it. I have to be able to sail around the world by managing the boat well and hoping that the weather opens up a little bit in front of me so that I can gain places.

I'm really concentrating on making the boat glide, making it glide without forcing it too much. Of course I look at the weather forecast but I don't linger. After the Cape of Good Hope, it's not clear and it doesn't look good for me. I live from day to day and concentrate more on life on board, on making the boat move forward quietly, I talk to my family and friends about other things than the race, it's such a different event for me that I need to not project myself too much so that it goes well morally. "

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Most, if not all of the IMOCA fleet have dual AP "brains", also known as computers. The AP computer is in a standalone box (likely with an ARM processor inside) and is absolutely capable of sailing the boat if their is no additional computer, with a few exceptions (Hugo Boss/Nokia Bell Labs feed-forward setup comes to mind). Likely the issue that Fabrice is describing is that his primary AP computer died early on, and his spare has also now died, meaning he has to hand steer.

Fabrice 's on-board computer and back up on-board computer is dead. Those are responsable for routing/performance/on-board camaras etc. but does not control anything with his automatic pilot.  

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, minca3 said:

thanks! tried the auto trans subtitles, they were pretty much useless. But I got your impression of him being down beaten.
On the other hand he caught up with the group and is topping the boat speed charts for the last 4h. He is also sailing extra miles by positioning more to the north ...

Yes, he was very down beaten. We'll see...

13 minutes ago, Coconuts.is said:

Fabrice 's on-board computer and back up on-board computer is dead. Those are responsable for routing/performance/on-board camaras etc. but does not control anything with his automatic pilot.  

Are you sure about this? Often, computer and pilot are interchanged by skippers.

And yes, I recognize that the on-board computers are pretty critical for weather updates and routing, but you can press on without them (need an exception from Race HQ, as you won't be in compliance with the media requirements).

"Southern Ocean first timer Dalin, 35, admitted this morning that he felt he and his boat had been very close to their limits and that at times he has turned down the wind fields on his navigation systems as the sea of red on the screen was only making him more anxious."

Sail-World

On 12/9/2020 at 12:59 PM, OPAL said:

Dug that map out of a folder on the PC, cannot remember where it came from.
On these vague trans-ocean routes, spices specific may not make a huge difference south of Cape Hope.
Still so much unknown about these southern migration routes.

Chay's other half maybe the best bet?

Thanks. Sorry for the delayed reply--road trip.

Conrad H is rolling on the topic; expecting more good leads there tomorrow too. Wouldn't be surprised if Chay's missus is part of the many projects Conrad H discusses. Cheers.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks. Sorry for the delayed reply--road trip.

Conrad H is rolling on the topic; expecting more good leads there tomorrow too. Wouldn't be surprised if Chay's missus is part of the many projects Conrad H discusses. Cheers.

Nope I have come up with a bit of a blank.. or rather she has. The missus is more of a general ecologist (mostly marine) but she spoke to "the whale lady" who said that the info that you can find online for humpback and blue whales is pretty much the sum total. Not much is known for other species. 

Interestingly she did mention that there are projects in the pipeline to tag whales with something like an AIS SART device that will alert vessels that there are whales in the area. Obviously not all whales could be tagged but the hope is that because they are social getting a tag onto each group will do the trick. This is mainly to alert fishing vessels and I don't think any consideration has been given to racing craft... well until now anyway.

I see all sorts of issues with this, including range, duration of dive exceeding the time/distance function of race boats, getting all groups tagged in a pelagic environment etc.. etc.. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I see all sorts of issues with this

Yes, that's what I'm finding too. Dr David Sims basically reinforced what I recall you saying years ago. Had though maybe OSCAR and the pingers would be the big breakthrough, but not so. The big challenge ahead will be for the Race Organizers. Can't let the kids run motocross rallies through the school playground during recess. They decided on ice gates rather than ice and rescue risks, so wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of speed limits in 'school zones'. 

Good news is, your missus may be in demand for consulting needs 

• Like 1

No such luck for Burton, he is doing 10 knots. And looks like Cousin has problems too. Meanwhile Sodebo has passed most of the fleet far to their south.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Fabrice Amedeo spare computer has died (after the main one did early in the race), he is sailing towards Cape Town to try to repair.

Fenêtres = Windows? :)

If it really is the routing computer, not the AP, I wonder if he really can do the repair any better in Cape Town than out in the sea. There is not much you can do really, check the cables, swap a PSU, maybe swap the battery, that is about it.

By the way, JLC back in forth position at this morning sked. Just a little diversion to save a life and deliver the package to a ship, and back.

I love the man.

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Ripclaw said:

Jean Le Cam is an absolute monster (and I mean that in the nicest possible way)! Seriously, I hope that Macron awards him with a medal for rescuing Escoffier.

I am sure this is in the pipeline. Easy win for Macron but I would worry what Jean could say then. Il n'a pas sa langue dans sa poche... (he doesn't keep his tongue in his pocket)

Weather update

Dalin and Ruyant in lighter winds now compared to the followers. Lady Fortuna rolled the dice again, and Dalin seems to have won a very small private HP zone. See pic 1. Which was not projected yesterday by GFS, see pic 4. His boat speed has dropped to 4 kts between 08:00 and 8:30. While the rest of the top-8 boats were doing 15 to 19 kts. Weather models disagreed for the 04:00 position if he was in (ECMWF) or not yet in it (GFS) that patch. But that's a non-discussion now, he is definitely not a happy man now with very light wind sailing for a change in the SO. The fleet started to converge too, as earlier predicted. The three non-foilers have ganged-up. Burton back in the pack. DTL's have come down quickly. Seven boats have < 300 nm DTL. Drag race above the AEZ (pic 3) in the coming days in lighter winds and waves < 4 meters. Rides are "bumpy" - which is very nice after the rough times in the past week which were labelled with a bit of an understatement "difficult". But were more or less very, very nasty sailing conditions for some skippers.

Routing table in pic 2 indicates that ETA's has shrunken compared to the projections yesterday. Five boats behind Dalin projected +/- 7 hrs behind his ETA. Of which 3 non-foilers, voila. And this is only the second cape coming up. The fat lady takes another sip of water and her act is not on stage yet for another couple of weeks.

ECMWF 111220.jpg

routing table 111220.png

routing 111220.png

GFS file 101220 for 111220.png

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Weather update

Dalin and Ruyant in lighter winds now compared to the followers. Lady Fortuna rolled the dice again, and Dalin seems to have won a very small private HP zone. See pic 1. Which was not projected yesterday by GFS, see pic 4. His boat speed has dropped to 4 kts between 08:00 and 8:30. While the rest of the top-8 boats were doing 15 to 19 kts. Weather models disagreed for the 04:00 position if he was in (ECMWF) or not yet in it (GFS) that patch. But that's a non-discussion now, he is definitely not a happy man now with very light wind sailing for a change in the SO. The fleet started to converge too, as earlier predicted. The three non-foilers have ganged-up. Burton back in the pack. DTL's have come down quickly. Seven boats have < 300 nm DTL. Drag race above the AEZ (pic 3) in the coming days in lighter winds and waves < 4 meters. Rides are "bumpy" - which is very nice after the rough times in the past week which were labelled with a bit of an understatement "difficult". But were more or less very, very nasty sailing conditions for some skippers.

Routing table in pic 2 indicates that ETA's has shrunken compared to the projections yesterday. Five boats behind Dalin projected +/- 7 hrs behind his ETA. Of which 3 non-foilers, voila. And this is only the second cape coming up. The fat lady takes another sip of water and her act is not on stage yet for another couple of weeks.

Will routing table 111220.png

routing 111220.png

Beautifully put Herman. Converged big time. Will Charlie get to the pressure on the other side 1st? Which weather forecast model do you prefer? 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Lady Fortuna rolled the dice again, and Dalin seems to have won a very small private HP zone.

That is why the leader in the VG is never sure of a win. Still not halfway on the course.

7 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Beautifully put Herman. Converged big time. Will Charlie get to the pressure on the other side 1st? Which weather forecast model do you prefer? 

TY. The small HP is moving due east, so this impacts only him.

ECMWF has my preference as it has far more detail than the free GFS model, but you need a subscription.

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

TY. The small HP is moving due east, so this impacts only him.

ECMWF has my preference as it has far more detail than the free GFS model, but you need a subscription.

You get ECMWF with Predict Wind yeah.?

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

You get ECMWF with Predict Wind yeah.?

All routing software supports the GRIBs from ECMWF. You can buy them via routing software (eg Squid) and/or weather websites (eg Predictwind) via packages/subscriptions. And probably download them directly too from FTP-servers when subscribed, for OpenCPN. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Herman said:

Weather update

ECMWF 111220.jpg

routing table 111220.png

routing 111220.png

I guess Charlie is a bit pissed of by this anticipate Christmas gift with this private HP :)

i wonder when we will know about the time compensations for thoses who participate at the rescue of Kevin, as it will impact the rankings and the way Charlie has to sail

Do we know how much time compensation for Le Cam ?

It looks like there will be some severe compression south of Australia and if the weather gods carry on being with the pack behind Dalin, I can imagine Le Cam finishing close enough to end up on the podium or may be even winning thanks to the time he got handed over for saving Kevin.

Lot of sponsors must now be regretting not going with Le Cam.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Herman said:

Lady Fortuna rolled the dice again, and Dalin seems to have won a very small private HP zone.

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

That is why the leader in the VG is never sure of a win. Still not halfway on the course.

Yep.  Scrolling the tracker forecast ahead, it looks like that high pressure zone really expands in front of Dalin for the next 24 hrs or so, allowing the peloton to narrow the gap.  For once, the rich don't get richer.

6 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Do we know how much time compensation for Le Cam ?

It looks like there will be some severe compression south of Australia and if the weather gods carry on being with the pack behind Dalin, I can imagine Le Cam finishing close enough to end up on the podium or may be even winning thanks to the time he got handed over for saving Kevin.

Lot of sponsors must now be regretting not going with Le Cam.

C'est a la fin de la foire qu'on compte les bouses

• Like 1

Dalin would have had his problems. But he is more into boatbuilding and technical stuff then most.
There are 3 people or maybe 4 who I would let build/project manage a boat for me;
Le Cam, Dalin, Bestaven and maybe Boissieres.
You knew Bestaven and Boissieres teamed up in the minitransat in protos, having build and campaigned them together ?
IIRC Satanas and Diablo were the boat names. One silver painted and one gold. The funky business when you are young and let yourself lose on the mini scene.

• Like 1

Very insightful interview with Jean-Louis Bernot, the "sorcerer2 on the APIVIA website:

https://www.apivia.fr/voile/actualites-voile/dans-loeil-de-jean-yves-bernot/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Organic&utm_campaign=Twitter11122020_Jean-Yves-Bernot

What is your view on this Vendee Globe, in terms of weather conditions?

It is not that unusual actually. If you take every single situation in itself, they are fairly classical. What is unusual to me is the sequence of events. Most of what we saw is not surprising, apart from the Theta tropical storm position, especially at that time of year – it is not that frequent. We know about all the rest. Sometimes, things get in the right sequence, sometimes they don’t. Obviously they didn’t this time and they are not as fast as expected. It’s weather, you had to deal with what you get ! At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter, it’s a race not a record attempt. Had the start been changed by four days, it would have been a completely different sotry…

How about Charlie and APIVIA?

Charlie is doing a good job. He takes the lead when it is relevant, and once he has it, he managed it. If the others start to attack, he puts his foot on the pedal and if they don’t he just keeps his rhythm… The others have to take the risks now. It is clear that when Charlie thinks he needs to extend his lead, he goes a bit faster, he knows he has a good boat and knows her well.

About the Theta storm, he decided to go round. He is the one in charge… I think it is easy to say “some others went through the storm”. Hey, some of them may well have paid a high price there, even if I can’t say for sure. But Charlie did the smart thing then. He preserved the boat and at the end it didn’t cost him anything strategy wise.

It all went well in the Doldrums.

At St Helen, he decided to go through the high when other didn’t… I thought he did really well, because it wasn’t easy and getting lost in there was a possibility. You see people with Figaro experience who are able to deal with variable winds, who stay calm and don’t loose it.

Now that he is in the South, he is managing his lead well. His handling of the Tuesday/Wednesday low pressure was brilliant… So far, I think we can say it is a masterclass !

This is all true, but the gap with the others is not that big, right?

Yes, he has been unlucky in the way that his lead is not growing due to the sequence of weather systems. It is fairly classic to see the leader(s) going away when they start the Indian ocean…. This time, it is not the case. And it doesn’t look like it will be in the coming few days… Sometimes you get lucky when you catch the right system, not this time. Between Charlie, Thomas, and the hunting group behind, they all stay in the same system. There is no real benefit of being in the lead. But Charlie is managing APIVIA well, even if foilers are not showing their full potential yet. What is certain is that he knows when to attack and when to calm down. His is clearly a very good sailor. He is calm… he stays cool. He is sailing a very tidy race…

What can APIVIA expect in the Pacific?

It is usually easier in the Pacific as there is more space. When you look at a chart, you realise that the Antarctic is going further North in the Indian ocean, which creates what we call the tunnel. The high pressure is always at the same place, the low pressure systems always go between the high pressure and the Antarctic and the seastate is always horrible. On the contrary, in the Pacific,  the Antarctic is further south, there is more space. It allows the skipper to have more space to play with and the low pressures have also more space to develop. The Pacific is therefore usually easier. You can get lots of winds, but the seastate is much better! What we can see this year is that most subtropical high pressure systems are strong and far to the south. We would call this is very nice summer (laughs), but for the skippers it is complicated to deal with, as they are stuck between the ice zone and these high pressure systems.

After Cape Leeuwin, which should be passed this week-end, it is straight to the Horn… Such a mythical place, but not only that, right?

The Horn is a forced passage between the Andes and the Antarctic peninsula, which is also quite high altitude. This means there is a bottleneck and therefore low pressures get through by getting even stronger. The seastate is also usually quite rough… So it is indeed a windy place with horrible seas. Sometimes you get lucky and the wind is not that strong, but most of the times it is a difficult area. It also can be tough on you a bit before or a bit after… You had to go through the Iandian and the Pacific, you are tired, the boat is tired, plus the potential horrible conditions, you should always be careful there.

You always say that passing the Horn also means a mentality change. Can you develop?

There is indeed a very peculiar phenomenon when you pass the Horn, you need to switch mode quickly. In the Southern ocean, you have to resist, you do everything you can to avoid mistakes, you manage the weather and you generally don’t start spectacular moves. And then, you suddenly are in the South Atlantic and change your mentality in one day. When I do the routing for the Round the World, I start talking to the crew four days before! I tell them: “careful, we are gonna swith to something different. We are gonna need to be more aggressive in terms of strategy, this is a completely different world”. And it all goes really fast, because as soon as you pass the Falklands, you are going to have to play with small fronts, gybing, taking, and if you don’t do it right from the start, you can lose a lot. This psychological factor of the end of Southern Oceans really needs to be considered. Going back up the Atlantic is always complicated, always… I never saw an easy one. The strategy is very complicated. It is often where the race is decided. You need to stay calm there… which is why that change of mentality is so important. The South Atlantic is often where things are decided, because after the Ecuador, there are not that many options left…

• Like 9

Mich Dej lost a whole heap of credibility with the Disastrous Beneteau First 30 which JK dumped. Putting his name to it was not good for his reputation, and there have been a few other similar things that make one wonder how in touch he is with the advances that have been made? His status as a legend might be better protected by silence?

13 minutes ago, cms said:

Mich Dej lost a whole heap of credibility with the Disastrous Beneteau First 30 which JK dumped. Putting his name to it was not good for his reputation, and there have been a few other similar things that make one wonder how in touch he is with the advances that have been made? His status as a legend might be better protected by silence?

Hard to blame MD for that pile of JuanK. Until someone else wins two Vendees I think his legend status is pretty secure.

• Like 3

Yannick Bestaven is now in position number 3.
2090707005_YannickBestaven.PNG.19a5e9690d231cd2127852bfa8d548df.PNG

Translation: We arrived in paradise! It's big blue sky, the water is beautiful, there is a nice swell behind me which boosts the boat, I have 25 knots of wind, sometimes a few peaks at 30 knots, but nothing bad compared to what the 'we have known ".

So all is well...

2 minutes ago, cortosam said:

https://www.tipandshaft.com/podcasts/posreport/episode6-marcus-hutchinson-vincent-lauriot-prevost/

Very interesting interview with a lot of insights reguarding what we were discussions, foils, shape, etc...

Im going to work on the translation today

It was great indeed. I would have liked to hear Vincent LP' take on Hugo Boss structure, but hey...

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Sobedo is in trouble, apparently has rudder damage and has been going less than 10 knots for several hours. VG boats catching up.

Joyon records are always hard to beat

• Like 3
2 hours ago, cms said:

I am not disagreeing, merely looking to flesh out my knowledge. Why was this boat disastrous? Was it a bad boat or did it miss the market? 

5 minutes ago, danstanford said:

I am not disagreeing, merely looking to flesh out my knowledge. Why was this boat disastrous? Was it a bad boat or did it miss the market? 

branded as a racing boat but was a pig to sail (too much interior, odd backstay-less rig and tiny cockpit). it's a 32 footer that weighs almost 4 tons. Benne have since changed tacks with the acquisition of Seascape and make much more exciting boats in this size range.

10 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Arkea Parec is going to be tansported back to France by cargo, leaving in about 10 days.

2020 09 26 Lo (11).jpg

That same harbour gets a new Imoca joining the group of those who are unable to finish the race:
Fabrice Amadeo, Newrest- Art & Fenêtre.
Both computers onboard crashed and het's not able to continue.
1930008765_FabriceAmadeo.PNG.2c49b1628cdb60dda1552b389b89b79c.PNG
Knipsel.PNG.ee95535440a8d40c0ed32abd79adfbe7.PNG
Without the computers he's Blind in Navigation, he claims.
Wheather fore cast is another thing he misses without computer.
20 years ago that would be bad seamanship.

• Like 1

It would be quite a development if he did choose to continue "blind". 

I assume he couldn't use a routing software etc. 

But he probably still has a handheld GPS or similar.

And does he have back up e-maps... i don't dare to suggest paper maps :)

Would be quite the old school RTW... taking the mini spirit to a larger scale.

2 minutes ago, bclovisp said:

It would be quite a development if he did choose to continue "blind". 

I assume he couldn't use a routing software etc. 

But he probably still has a handheld GPS or similar.

And does he have back up e-maps... i don't dare to suggest paper maps :)

Would be quite the old school RTW... taking the mini spirit to a larger scale.

True, but it shows how we rely on computers within one generation.
Almost scary.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, bclovisp said:

Actually what do the SIs and Regs say? Is it no longer compulsory to have traditional maps, sextant and UHF (or similar receiver) when being more than 200m offshore?

11.3 Navigation and safety equipment

In addition to the equipment required by the IMOCA Class, the OA requires the following equipment to be on board and which will be inspected by the ocean-racing equipment inspectors:

• A handheld Iridium telephone with spare batteries (Rule C2.26(c) of the IMOCA Class rules)

• The following telephone numbers must be registered in the back-up Iridium telephone before the start:

• ü  CROSS Gris Nez +33.321.872.187

• ü  Race HQ Red Line: this number will be communicated to Skippers when

they are in Les Sables d'Olonne, before the start of the race.

• ü  Skipper’s Team Manager's telephone number

• A handheld GMDSS VHF radio with a long-life battery. This VHF must be located

in the grab bag.

• Navigation documents: navigation charts, mandatory light books on board (Rule

C4.6 of the IMOCA Class Rules).

• The whole of the route between Les Sables d'Olonne and Les Sables d'Olonne on

paper charts, long voyage format (scale between 1/5 000 000 and 1/10 000 000).

• Paper charts, photocopies or screenshots for the landfalls:

Cape Town
     Kerguelen
     Heard Island
     Perth and South-West Australia
     Tasmania, Bath and South-East Australia  New Zealand, South Island and its dangers  Cape Horn

State Islands and the Falkland Islands

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Snowden said:

branded as a racing boat but was a pig to sail (too much interior, odd backstay-less rig and tiny cockpit). it's a 32 footer that weighs almost 4 tons. Benne have since changed tacks with the acquisition of Seascape and make much more exciting boats in this size range.

Tiny cockpit definately not

26052011281.jpg

Speculation time, I am sure he has a stand alone gps, I really doubt he is lost. He must have comms because we know what is going on. Could he not "retire" and use a shore based router but still sail around the course ?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Almost scary.

The boat may need a computer to sail properly.  To know the bow's angle of attack (height wise) to waves, coordinate autopilot and determine how much foil to extend...  Without being able to coordinate all this, singlehanded, it's a bit like flying a fighter jet under visual rules in the dark.  The plane will fly, but you might drive it into a mountain.  Sam Davies was considering getting her boat repaired and then continuing RTW, but she was not having computer problems. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, V21 said:

Speculation time, I am sure he has a stand alone gps, I really doubt he is lost. He must have comms because we know what is going on. Could he not "retire" and use a shore based router but still sail around the course ?

Without weather reports like this?
141894196_Apivia3.PNG.c8375407ddd7701b2be514024b1bbed0.PNG
Only radio, In the old days there was a weatherfax.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, steinbrenner said:

typical charter cockpit, ok maybe performance-charter and not touristic-charter, but definitely looks not like high end sailing machine

If you look at the interious was never suppose to be sold as high end sailing machine ... anyway lets go back to VG

24 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Almost scary.

While I can see this point, I think it has certain feel of luddite.

However, what I would put more attention to is how one manages to break two computers in relative short time? Is issue maybe bad quality power feed or pure low cost computers? Could this have been avoided?

Even paper charts can get wet or wind rip those to pieces if not used with proper care...

Navigation redundancy for emergency purposes to get to safe harbor is one thing. Actually trying to single hand when instrumentation is off, dead reckoning inaccurate and no easy sight of the sun even at noon? Plus being exhausted re spending so many days trying to whittle down the job list?

If you think it should be an easy task to go the rest of the way without weather or reliable nav, get your head checked for reality.  Because that’s how you get wrecked on the coast of Western Australia. 

• Like 3

There is a lot of (quite) southern ocean(s)* to go to be relying on your manual backups (paper charts, handheld GPS and/or sextant, voice weather forecast) and you are now no longer competitive. He does not lose my respect for making the seasman ship call of heading into port, its not a quick overnighter.

* To avoid the wrath of @littlechay

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Coconuts.is said:

Fabrice 's on-board computer and back up on-board computer is dead. Those are responsible for routing/performance/on-board camaras etc. but does not control anything with his automatic pilot.  

Thanks. 

And it has an extremely high possibility of a cascading/escalating failures of increasing severity. No computers? You've lost the ability to quickly send texts, send/receive instructions/diagrams, communication with the shoreteam. Yes satellite voice coms and handheld texts might work but it isn't the same. Ppl who are flippant about it saying "ha ha told you modernity sucks" - well the real comparable situation would be someone tearing up your charts, throwing the sextant on the ground and breaking it then hitting your navigator on the head so hard he's seeing stars. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Without weather reports like this?
141894196_Apivia3.PNG.c8375407ddd7701b2be514024b1bbed0.PNG
Only radio, In the old days there was a weatherfax.

Thousands of people relied on just Herb and not weatherfax. 

47 minutes ago, stief said:

Conrad Humphreys agrees: "i've never seen such a tightly knit group of boats which makes it incredibly exciting." 

Remarkable for the VG, that is. 

Like a pride of young lions testing each other.  Waiting for when the moment comes to strike.

Wise old Alpha JLC waiting, watching.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, stief said:

Waiting to see what the preparateurs have to say.  Expected more cascading failures because of COVID restrictions getting the boats ready.

I think you're lost.

49 minutes ago, bclovisp said:

Actually what do the SIs and Regs say? Is it no longer compulsory to have traditional maps, sextant and UHF (or similar receiver) when being more than 200m offshore?

It is still mandatory to have paper maps and a sextant, part of the "security package" 

1 minute ago, blunderfull said:

Wise old Alpha JLC waiting, watching

:lol:  . ..  for a chance to troll again? He suckered us with the flying fish, wound up the foil debate, had fun wit 'rosbif and much more .At least he didn't make "ground beef" jabs when Alex got grounded or netted (publicly).

Entertaining, exceptional sailor, but wouldn't buy a used sailboat from him.

11 boats all withing roughly 500 nm and Isabelle working hard to get into that coveted 8th spot so she can get on Herman's routing report ^_^  This is one hell of a race.  If Pip catches that next wave she may make still catch up to the "boys" as she once talked about.  There is good racing along the fleet and while Apivia may have the ability to "turn it on" it looks like his gearing will take a hit with the hole in front of him.  That will really make this interesting.

When it says Amedeo is "not able to continue", does that mean he's just doubling back to see if he can repair and continue, or does it mean he's abandoning?

I mean...  I'm not sure if repairing a computer is possible alone, nor why being near shore would help him to do so...  But yesterday's communication seemed to suggest he was heading back to attempt repair, and the newer communication is unclear whether that's still the plan vs. abandon.

6 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

When it says Amedeo is "not able to continue", does that mean he's just doubling back to see if he can repair and continue, or does it mean he's abandoning?

I mean...  I'm not sure if repairing a computer is possible alone, nor why being near shore would help him to do so...  But yesterday's communication seemed to suggest he was heading back to attempt repair, and the newer communication is unclear whether that's still the plan vs. abandon.

I think he should do his 'repairs' in Tahiti, at least that would be worth leaving les Sables

15 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Not sure, but if he has really good guys on shore providing detailed testing procedures, out of two PCs, making a single working one still looks like possible, but from what he is saying he already has spent days trying to repair the first one in the south Atlantic (first one broke crossing the first front), that must be so annoying...