• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Schakel said:

Everyone seems to forget the belgians.
Watch this guy.
Yannick Bestaven on maitre Coq 4.
1418480734_YannickBestaven3.thumb.jpeg.1f0f02faedd668c6b60de47af6c682c9.jpeg

He definitely deserved to be watched; nipping at the heels of Thomas Ruyant.

But he is French...

I can't stop to be amazed by Isabelle Joschke.

When they were in South Atlantic, right between South America and South Africa, she was 125 miles behind Giancarlo Pedote. She is now 80 miles in front of him, sailing basically in the same weather system all along. And she is now on the verge of catching up with Boris Herrmann.

If you look at the physical aspect of the race, Damien Seguin is on a league of his own; doing the Vendée Globe with only one hand is just mind boggling. And being in the top 5 at this point!! With straight boards!!

But if you look at all the other skippers, Isabelle must be the most petite/shortest/lightest competitor. With the least amount of brute force to drag stay sails on deck, shake a reef, move all the stuff inside from one side to the other after a jibe, etc... she must be very smart in her navigation choices and as tough as a nail, to continue gaining on the lead.

She was the second fastest boat in the past 24 hr, behind Yannick Bestaven...

• Like 14
Just now, Laurent said:

When they were in South Atlantic, right between South America and South Africa, she was 125 miles behind Giancarlo Pedote. She is now 80 miles in front of him, sailing basically in the same weather system all along. And she is now on the verge of catching up with Boris Herrmann.

If you look at the physical aspect of the race, Damien Seguin is on a league of his own; doing the Vendée Globe with only one hand is just mind boggling. And being in the top 5 at this point!! With straight boards!!

But if you look at all the other skippers, Isabelle must be the most petite/shortest/lightest competitor. With the least amount of brute force to drag stay sails on deck, shake a reef, move all the stuff inside from one side to the other after a jibe, etc... she must be very smart in her navigation choices and as tough as a nail, to continue gaining on the lead.

I think she has gained a lot of confidence in herself and her capabilities when she managed to repair the pulpit. She looked a bit shy and lacking confience before that, but since then, she definitely has found her groove.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Isabelle must be the most petite/shortest/lightest competitor.

Pedal power!!!!!

I'll get my coat.......

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Isa!  She has been the fastest over the last 24 hours for the last 2 scheds and she just passed Boris.  Up to 8th and gaining on everyone in front of her!  Very fun to watch.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Miffy said:

Not argumentative at all. The conditions have been basically the foilers’ worst statistical model but the non-foiling boats, credit to being well sailed, are barely hanging on. 

And they’re not even by the 2nd cape yet. A long race to go and just one week with the performance differentials the foilers expect in their designed ideal conditions and all this narrative will be forgotten.

the race is missing a lot of media highlights because Sam, Alex and Kevin were probably some of the more eager video uploaders. LinkedOut and Apivia put about minimal effort. Boris, Ari and JLC actually seem to bother. 

True. This is what the discussion is about. Foilers are surely much faster in their ideal conditions, but how long are they going to have their ideal conditions in a VG? And when conditions are tough, are they more prone to damage than non foilers?

My personal opinion - I dont pretend it to be correct, it is just week end thinking - is that a scow bowed non foiling IMOCA would be better than a foiler: it should be faster than a standard non foiling boat, probably slower than a foiler but with a wider range of conditions in which it could perform well. I think it would be less fragile than a foiler, but probably more than a standard hull.

Dont kill me, Its just an opinion

Edit: I'm having seconds thoughts, I dont think I'm allowed to have an opinion under 50 posts. Let alone posting it here :)

• Like 3

I think this year definitely highlights the over exuberance of foiling programs for folks who never had an expectation or aspiration to win the VG. The programs are due for a correction for 2024 - if you want to sail well, complete the event and have insufficient budget to do a full R&D program, better to do a conventional boat? Sail it prep it media prep the skipper and team to capture the public imagination without the risks. 

Credit Mutuel’s 24 hr record shows how much nautical architecture has still to learn - a 40 ft without exotic materials can maintain sustained speeds imocas at 60ft of 3 cycles ago would find good performance. Get a production yard involved that isn’t a bespoke practical monopoly like CDK. Share the hull/deck over a few programs that it’ll have better cost/ROI ratio than spending 800,000 euros retrofitting foils just to break the boat for a program aiming to finish top 10 anyway. 

• Like 2

Once a read an interview of Bob Perry. He said that the first time he saw the first scow bowed mini (Magnum, Raison design) he thought 'God please, dont let it be fast', because of he found it ugly. But the also said that he knew it wold have been fast, because from a design point of view, a scow is the fastest hull for a given length.

Now winning minis are mainly scows, Credit Mutuel is a scow, we'll probably see scows other than Occitane in IMOCA also.

44 minutes ago, DVV said:

True. This is what the discussion is about. Foilers are surely much faster in their ideal conditions, but how long are they going to have their ideal conditions in a VG? And when conditions are tough, are they more prone to damage than non foilers?

My personal opinion - I dont pretend it to be correct, it is just week end thinking - is that a scow bowed non foiling IMOCA would be better than a foiler: it should be faster than a standard non foiling boat, probably slower than a foiler but with a wider range of conditions in which it could perform well. I think it would be less fragile than a foiler, but probably more than a standard hull.

Edit: I'm having seconds thoughts, I dont think I'm allowed to have an opinion under 50 posts. Let alone posting it here :)

It depends on the weather. It would benefit foilers if it was real summer in the South Ocean. The boats arrived too early, a few weeks. Therefore take a lot beating. 

Dosjeyaux complained that the boats are like a three legs stool. A lot of slamming because the ass is being dragged on. So you keep reinforcing hulls and they become heavier yet still fragile. T rudders were needed. Of course, it would be unfair against older boats. Again, you would not need to reinforce the boats so much if you add foils and T-rudders.  Even on the older hulls.

Foiled or not foiled scow, it is no much difference so long you can retract foils deeply. 

The bigger problem is UFO.

• Like 3

The scow shape does not mean you don't need the righting moment and stability of the foils. Foils can reduce drag of course, with a boat rising out of the water, but on these sorts of boats, and even more on the Figaro 3, it is the stability benefit which is most important.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Herman said:

Send me a PM if you see again something interesting coming up, disappearing and reappearing that should be noted. Or better, post it here.

I did post it, but without images... My comments were not entirely accurate - we are all here to learn, right - and what I wanted to point out in my post is that the variables are ... well variable. I was not trying to point fingers are claiming that I got it right and you didn't. I absolutely have no interest in such BS. 

I am really appreciative of your posts, but I am also always skeptical about solely relying on the routing software. The sailors have to make decisions about risks and weather forecasts 1) change and 2) are not always accurate. Taking all that into the mix makes it more interesting.

Groeten!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, oioi said:

Brilliant,  thanks Hermann, could i ask a favour? Next time you run the routing,  could you include l'occitane? I'm curious to see what opportunity he has to come back over the next week or so. 

I'll sub for @Herman. I started tracking L'Occitane a couple of days ago.  I would love to see this track play out!

Vendee20.JPG

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, cms said:

The scow shape does not mean you don't need the righting moment and stability of the foils. Foils can reduce drag of course, with a boat rising out of the water, but on these sorts of boats, and even more on the Figaro 3, it is the stability benefit which is most important.

My thought is between the OD mast and keel/keel mechanism - there’s enough RM available with the water ballast for a boat that’s faster than Macif/SMA/BP without the extra million to develop foils and autopilots. It won’t win the VG, but it’ll allow multiple skippers in successive cycles to finish well and be a great media platform without the noise of foils driving the skippers crazy. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

I think she has gained a lot of confidence in herself and her capabilities when she managed to repair the pulpit. She looked a bit shy and lacking confience before that, but since then, she definitely has found her groove.

She had some serious trouble getting the required miles to enter the race under the keel. Breakage left and right.
Now things are working roughly as expected. A successful repair and keeping up with the leaders boosts confidence. Half a dozen retirements to date, and not being among them also helps.
Second great cape is in sight, 2/3 of the race done. Well, not really but it is a major milestone.

2 hours ago, DVV said:

imo, the dagger board/scow bow combo has as much merit as anything. I wonder if people weren't adding foils to these 60's if this combo wouldn't be the new go-to fast setup.

56 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Fucking ugly scows are just the result of a box rule. Take a mini scow and add a good looking bow and it will be faster. It just won’t fit in the box.  Box rules make ugly boats. 

since when would reducing bow volume on a high speed offshore boat ever make it faster?

The foilers are "slow" this year because the rules prohibit controlled flight. Having just one foil with very limited grades of adjustment means the boats slam their bows into waves all the time, launching and crashing, launching and crashing...  Look what that did to Alex and Kevin. Once T-rudders or something similar will be allowed, foilers might do a horizon job on the planers.

Interesting routing choice as members of the lead group can follow the ice zone limit or take the northern option to move on top of the next depression.

I would say it's worth a try for Omia, Seaexplorer, maybe Apicil and MACSF

Screenshot_20201212_214038.png

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Fucking ugly scows are just the result of a box rule. Take a mini scow and add a good looking bow and it will be faster. It just won’t fit in the box.  Box rules make ugly boats. 

I do not agree. The main benefit of a scow bow, is that waterlines of the hull are almost straight, as for cats. 'Water does not like to be surprised' (dont remember exactly who of the big ones I am citing), it prefers to follow a straight line than a curved one. Moreover, triangular shaped hulls, that are needed for planning hulls, when heeled, do not proceed following their longitudinal axe, they lie on their side and go sideways, and the keel goes like that too. That increase the drag. If you add a pointy bow - a real one - you loose this effect. Yes, you could add a fake bow out of the water - like Occitane - but that would add weight just for the look, and this does not seem a good idea.

Anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like scows. Its just a different shape, you have to get used to it

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Essex said:

So what is the point of the max beam rule 1 meter (?) aft of the bow ? 

Does imoca just not like the scow look ?

I guess this is a choice made not to make all existing IMOCAs obsolete. Foils can be retrofitted on an existing hull, a scow bow dont.

If you look at the mini class, its almost just scows for winning boats, and comments of their skippers are extremely positive. It will came also in class 40 and IMOCA, you have to give it some time

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DVV said:

My personal opinion - I dont pretend it to be correct, it is just week end thinking - is that a scow bowed non foiling IMOCA would be better than a foiler:

A proper scow bow isn't allowed, L'Occitane is basically all you can have.

2 hours ago, DVV said:

Now winning minis are mainly scows, Credit Mutuel is a scow, we'll probably see scows other than Occitane in IMOCA also.

Except this year when the foiling pogo won most things, or any upwind race where the so called "hybrids" but really just rounded pointy bows take it.

29 minutes ago, DVV said:

I guess this is a choice made not to make all existing IMOCAs obsolete. Foils can be retrofitted on an existing hull, a scow bow dont.

Oh idk, I think it might be much less expense to just cut off your front and replace with a more scow like bow then getting into foils, see ATR/HB lawsuit for $$$.

13 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

A proper scow bow isn't allowed, L'Occitane is basically all you can have.

Except this year when the foiling pogo won most things, or any upwind race where the so called "hybrids" but really just rounded pointy bows take it.

Scows are not at their best upwind. But in races like the VG this is not such a big limit. Its always finding the best compromise for what you want to acheive.

Rules prohibit a full scow today, but a little change in rules is always possible.

The evolution of Moth is interesting in this aspect. Scows were the winning type of hull before flying moths arrived.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Essex said:

Oh idk, I think it might be much less expense to just cut off your front and replace with a more scow like bow then getting into foils, see ATR/HB lawsuit for $$$.

I dont know, may be, but a proper scow has different lines not just at the bow: sides are linear (almost), they are less curved all the way from the back. You cannot change just the bow.

Anyway, its just something I've been told, it seemed a good explanation to me.

I dont see the reason for the ban otherwise. It could be related to the idea that a wider bow would me more fragile, but we are seeing many structural issues with foils, so this aspect could be less relevant today

Edit: what you say has apparently been done both in Hugo Boss and Charal, which had the original bow replaced with one with wider and rounder bottom part

• Downvote 1
8 minutes ago, DVV said:

Scows are not at their best upwind. But in races like the VG this is not such a big limit. Its always finding the best compromise for what you want to acheive.

I agree, if it was allowed someone would have tried it, I mean it is being tried!

8 minutes ago, DVV said:

Rules prohibit a full scow today, but a little change in rules is always possible.

If the Skippers desire it, but the foiling ship has already sailed, its more likely they'll allow it if it proves to make foiling easier, even if we know skinnier foiling boats are faster (the old HB was skinnier than others because of this).

9 minutes ago, DVV said:

The evolution of Moth is interesting in this aspect. Scows were the winning type of hull before flying moths arrived.

Another box rule however. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, stief said:

Wouter the router was today's guest on the Live. The Cargados Carajos Shoals are far enough north of the fleet. Bad memories.

Didn't know he was also doing weather routing for Alex and Meranda Merron.

4 hours ago, solosailor said:

???    

Correction: Did weather routing for Alex and Pip. He comments on the weather routing for Miranda later in that Live  where he also points out  that the models in the “southern ocean” are not very good at predictions.

Another correction: Live says Wouter was a skipper on the Volvo Ocean Race.  Probably refers to the time Wouter was substituted for Alex in the Barcelona World Race (the one where Alex had to have his appendix removed).

7 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

If the Skippers desire it, but the foiling ship has already sailed, its more likely they'll allow it if it proves to make foiling easier, even if we know skinnier foiling boats are faster (the old HB was skinnier than others because of this).

True. At the end a skinny hull with foils is quite similar to ah outrigged canoe hull. Except that it flies :)

1 hour ago, Janarto said:

On the scow design, i've seen this interesting take on the benefits and drawbacks, and the conclusion is that for long boat it's clearly the best option (as scow and foils are not mutually exclusive, and scows may be able to land softer when they don't foil).

https://thomastison.com/scow-hulls-part-1-the-pros/

Thanks,

Armel Tripon's Occitane is doing pretty well right now... the scow advantage ?

Mostly pictures, but some text, including this "And it has been confirmed that this type of bow wets less, puts less strain on the boat and the skipper, enters less into the wave."

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/vendee-globe/vendee-globe-armel-tripon-ose-un-bateau-etroit-a-etrave-ronde-les-premieres-images-750b391c-0f8e-11ea-85cc-fb0f11f11f51

5 hours ago, DVV said:

True. This is what the discussion is about. Foilers are surely much faster in their ideal conditions, but how long are they going to have their ideal conditions in a VG? And when conditions are tough, are they more prone to damage than non foilers?...

....Dont kill me, Its just an opinion

"True. This is what the discussion is about. .....And when conditions are tough, are they more prone  to damage than non foilers?"

NOT true and NOT what discussion was about. 

You replied to Miff omitting the fool who posted this and who Miff replied to;

"...talking up the foilers having to back off in tougher conditions is getting as boring as shit and a lazy narrative....

..The reality is they both back off maybe foilers a wee bit more but little difference." 

You have been sucked into the very same commentators narrative I'm trying to vaccinate you against and yet here you are spreading it like Convid.

DDV repeat after me; 

"Foilers are NOT backing off more and are NOT significantly more prone to damage by weather and sea state."

You are now in isolation..now banned from posting for 2 weeks :lol: 

Here the two posts together.

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe sounds argumentative but commentators talking up the foilers having to back off in tougher conditions is getting as boring as shit and a lazy narrative to explain current positioning. Some gamemanship by JLC helped fuel it.

- The reality is they both back off maybe foilers a wee bit more but little difference.  

- The small delta's in Top 10 and relative foiler/daggerboard positions is a consequence of weather this edition not designs compressing.

- Slow to-date except maybe equator crossing and a lot of concertina happening. That has suited boards not foils.

- The foilers are not getting either the conditions that best suit them or a sufficient break to get into a system and take off even in less than ideal conditions. 

For instance if Charlie (and maybe some others) had been past Cape of Good Hope a bit earllier and didn't have to spend time chasing latitude to position themselves, they would have ridden that last low/front east faster and longer.

There would be daylight now back to balance of top 10 and a lot worse next week. With that this narrative would never have started off the back of that low.

As I said, maybe argumentative.

7 hours ago, Miffy said:

Not argumentative at all. The conditions have been basically the foilers’ worst statistical model but the non-foiling boats, credit to being well sailed, are barely hanging on. 

And they’re not even by the 2nd cape yet. A long race to go and just one week with the performance differentials the foilers expect in their designed ideal conditions and all this narrative will be forgotten.

the race is missing a lot of media highlights because Sam, Alex and Kevin were probably some of the more eager video uploaders. LinkedOut and Apivia put about minimal effort. Boris, Ari and JLC actually seem to bother. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

"True. This is what the discussion is about. .....And when conditions are tough, are they more prone  to damage than non foilers?"

NOT true and NOT what discussion was about. 

You replied to Miff omitting the fools who posted this and who he replied to;

"...talking up the foilers having to back off in tougher conditions is getting as boring as shit and a lazy narrative....

..The reality is they both back off maybe foilers a wee bit more but little difference." 

You have been sucked into the very same commentators narrative I'm trying to vaccinate you against and yet here you are spreading it like Convid.

You are now in isolation..now banned from posting for 2 weeks :lol: 

The two posts together.

I sincerely apologize. Dont want to spread anything, especially in covid time.

I have a little bias towards scows, but the reality is that I love to talk about boat design.

I'd better limit my posts on design to the ones here: https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/my-design-trifoglio-25-suggestions-opinions.64754/

Two weeks of ban counting from now (not sure I can cope with that, though) :)

Back to the race and Boris is back up to speed while Isabelle has slowed.

Pip Hare and friends getting stuck against the ice limit by light winds, must be very frustrating.

Charal and fellow backmarkers are about to get a pounding.

interesting to see how the windy squid sees the leaders in three days time. Kevin is using 3 different polars, but only using GFS.

Another benchmark for JLC’s progress.

image.thumb.png.5c5b09799aecffca2cc788417482ee48.png
aside: c’mon Jack—give DVV a break, or at least show him how to click on your avatar to find your content.  
DVV—welcome. Figuring out Jack is just one of the various  hurdles to posting here.

• Like 1

The source of the sudden outbreak here of the 'LoveTripon' virus. 

A booster shot for those not yet infected.

PS. Also in his armoury....boatbuilding.

In his head

Your main quality: "Commitment"
Your fault: "You have to ask my wife ... I'm a loner".
If you were an animal: "An albatross"
If you were a plant: "An oak"
If you were a film: "Children of Paradise"
If you were a music: "Mozart's Requiem"
Your book: "L’usage du Monde", The travelogue of Nicolas Bouvier.
Your color: "Blue"
The happiness you dream of: "Go sailboat racing for as as long as possible"
Your hero in life: "More than a hero, a great image: Nelson Mandela"
Your aphorism: "You have no chance: seize it! "
If you weren't an ocean racer: "I would probably be a mountaineer, a mountain dweller".

On 12/9/2020 at 3:56 AM, jack_sparrow said:

This guy has a very good head for this race his first VG and into IMOCA only just before last edition. .

Diverting to Spain to fix his J3 lock didn't faze him. 

His history a good clue. Some good mini results but also a lot of modest ones in Figaro, then class 40 and good multi results but that only very recent. Hard work more than gifted??

His sponsor must have very good eye for someone different from a lot knocking on doors sponsor looking. Groupe L'Occitane pioneer in natural cosmetics, now global and enough money for a bespoke boat. A very French relationship skipper and sponsor.  

This vid from 6 years ago.  

Edited by jack_sparrow
PS added
  • Like 4
On 12/11/2020 at 2:16 PM, 3to1 said:

re the UFO debate; just heard on a radio science program this morning that the sum total of the weight of man-made artificial materials on the planet now exceeds the sum total of the weight of natural biomass currently on the Earth. missed most of the metrics involved in the data, but the point was stated. jfc, yay us..

[aside]  followed up on that, and and ended at  the paywall here.  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-3010-5 

the issue keeps coming up edition after edition. After this one, OSCAR  will have much more data to update the units used, so expect to see some progress.avoiding surface objects. Energy efficient forward-looking sonar looks to be many editions away, if ever, unless the nuclear powered subs decide to be pilots for the fleet. :lol:

8 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Skip Novak FTW.

Did Skip ever win a race yet? Great skipper, navigator, and writer though...

Was this race on the Front Page, and is it perhaps another brain fart of our esteemed Braindead Hangcock?

Anyway, my vote goes to Jon Sanders, if it's twice around and if he is back in time from his 11th circumnavigation. He's got to stay off the land, after all...

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:
10 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Skip Novak FTW.

Did Skip ever win a race yet? Great skipper, navigator, and writer though...

Big boats not even close to podium.

Didn't push hard enough and or at right places at right times and not quite skillful enough. Not be be critical many PM/Skippers like that. 

After Drum in 85 Whitbread (coming bottom half) and around time of manage/co drive ** on Fazisi, the Soviet submarine in 89, started the polar expedition thing.  

He was a pioneer, is first class at this and looks like better suited for than RTW racing.

** Skippered after other skipper hanged himself from a tree before leaving Punta del Este which was pretty sad & weird.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:
1 hour ago, stief said:

Figuring out Jack is just a pathetic attention whore, is one of the various  hurdles to posting here.

Fixed.:D

Harsh, but not entirely true. :D

• Like 1
On 11/19/2020 at 12:44 PM, nasil2nd said:

I did some more work with the data from Hermann's boat.

It looks like you can pull the data starting from around June this year, and i used it all to compute this (final version) of the polars.

I will probably stop now, but the code is posted here if somebody wants edit/do some more calculations / fiddle  a bit with the data.

In the repo there is also the raw dataframe, around 95000 datapoints and an excel file with the speed of the boat for each heading and for each windspeed.

polars.png

Bump. Was wondering if anyone used this excellent info to predict Herrmann’s recent slowdown, which Herrmann explained in today’s Live. 

53 minutes ago, Essex said:

Here it is ....

Yes indeed. Even better le Bon's band promotional music videos needing the boat to be sailing. This allows Whitbread race costs to expensed for tax purposes against band income. 

Problem NO wind. No problem, get a helicopter to fly 6 metres off the bow. 

Here the not sailing bit. 5 crew and 4 girls as extras...crew discussing who is going to miss out on an extra.

post-1-1116115884.jpg

27 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Here the not sailing bit. 5 crew and 4 girls as extras...crew discussing who is going to miss out on an extra.

From what I have heard nobody missed out on any extras! 

3 minutes ago, littlechay said:

From what I have heard nobody missed out on any extras! 

Depends what extra's one is thinking of. If you say "Drum", you have to say "Keel". Sorry for the thread drift, but loosing keels relates much to the VG after all...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rustylaru said:

What the story behind Le Camms clack clack clack. Is it from breaking his battens last time?

It is the voice command he set to switch his hand camera 180°. Last VG he was 'practicing' with it. Very funny, and it became some kind of joke

7 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

I think it is a push button

I try to be useful and end up making thing worst! :D

An interview with Charlie Dalin :

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/vendee-globe/charlie-dalin-je-mesure-ma-chance-d-etre-la-13-12-2020-12672156.php

Sorry too lazy busy for the translation today, but I am sure someone will look into it.

Very brief summary:

Charlie is managing his lead, he likes being at sea and despite some growing rumors, his boat is at 100% (some people were starting to wonder whether the port foil was still there, as it has not been seen in a video for a while).

He also talks about the boat design and how they had reliability in mind rather than only performance.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bebmoumoute said:
1 hour ago, DVV said:

It is the voice command he set to switch his hand camera 180°. Last VG he was 'practicing' with it. Very funny, and it became some kind of joke

I think it is a push button

Depends on Camera.

Sounds like he is bookmarking say 180 view changes. Problem is a camera with English recognition only. 

For instance "Remember That" hence the Clack??

Those like Go Pro that include French so my guess maybe not one of them?

Looking who are now the top 7, 4 are a surprise act. Dutreux, JLC, Seguin and Burton.
Bestaven is a bit less surprising, but still.
Ruyant and Dalin are there where they should be.

Of the 6 retirees, 3 could have been expected to be fighting in the front, Thomson, Troussel and Simon.

Two other leading prospects are way behind due to technical issues.
Beyou and Tripon.

So a lot of problems for podium contenders, except Dalin and Ruyant, who both were a bit conservative around Theta, and full on in the South Atlantic.
To be reeled in by the follow up bunch due to weather...Effectively Bestaven has even overtaken them, he will get a few hours of redress.

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, LeoV said:

So Bestaven virtual leader now ?

Maybe.  We should know later this week . . .  Jury redress not posted yet

At the Cape of Good Hope nearly two weeks ago Dalin’s lead was 240 miles over Ruyant and Maître CoQ was 340 miles behind the yellow hulled Apivia and so Bestaven has been outstanding in the Indian Ocean on a boat he knows very well and has prepared well. He has had no significant breakdowns and has sailed a fast, smooth course not putting himself or his boat in undue danger in the Indian Ocean. And the Indian Ocean has been troublesome, more often than not with big crossed seas which have made regulating speed to fit the seas the most difficult aspect.
Bear in mind that Bestaven diverted to help with the search for Kevin Escoffier and so will be granted some time in compensation. 

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20987/bestaven-best-in-the-indian

Miranda Merron noting wind  differences on deck and up high. 

Having spent a great deal of time trying to work out why the boat speed was so unimpressive, I think it may just be that I am in the wrong place, too close to the high. It certainly doesn't even feel like the 12 knots registering
30 metres above the deck

sounds  a bit  like Jules Salter comments on wind behaving differently over cold water, but in the North Atlantic  and right after his 24hr record run without foils.

It was somewhat surprising when the Simeon Tienpont skippered Volvo 65 AkzoNobel set a new 602.51 nautical mile 24-hour VOR record suggesting that these boats are no slouches. Jules Salter, was the navigator aboard Torben Grael’s Volvo 70 Ericsson 4 in the first leg of the 2008 VOR when they rode a strong Atlantic cold front during the Alicante to Cape Town leg 596.6 nm in 24 hours. He is the navigator on AkzoNobel and in Cardiff, and told Rob Kothe how the stars, indeed the race track, aligned..

“The northern route out of Newport was an option all through the build-up to the race,” says Salter. “However, we concluded that the models never quite pick up how weak the wind is up that way over the colder water, with wind shear and the lack of pressure

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

An interview with Charlie Dalin :

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/vendee-globe/charlie-dalin-je-mesure-ma-chance-d-etre-la-13-12-2020-12672156.php

Sorry too lazy busy for the translation today, but I am sure someone will look into it.

Very brief summary:

Charlie is managing his lead, he likes being at sea and despite some growing rumors, his boat is at 100% (some people were starting to wonder whether the port foil was still there, as it has not been seen in a video for a while).

He also talks about the boat design and how they had reliability in mind rather than only performance.

Impressed by how smart he sounds in this interview

3 hours ago, stief said:

Maybe.  We should know later this week . . .  Jury redress not posted yet

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20987/bestaven-best-in-the-indian

Jean Le Cam should really get a lot more redress time than Bestaven, not only was he the first to be re rerouted for the rescue, hours before the others, he obviously had to take care of kevin right after the rescue (making sure kevin was ok, comforting him, answering the media flood... didn't really get back into racing mode for hours after that), and then there was the nivose transfer operation and re routing associated with that.

I guesstimate, on the low side, Jean Le Cam lost at least 20 hours in the rescue.

Jean Le Cam could very well be the virtual leader...

Yes We Cam !

20 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Jean Le Cam could very well be the virtual leader...

270 mile delta with half a day on station and carrying Kevin less any weather advantages  my guess he is close.

They will be reluctant to project him any distance past Charles as that unlikely if there was no rescue.