• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

So both CD and TR have busted port foils  - correct? Is this not therefore an equalizer, depending of course on how bad the case is for Apiva? 

Obviously, the where and how much of CD's  foil damage is critical, as are the resulting changes in the dynamic forces he will have to contend with.

From what I understood from the discussion when this occurred on  LinkedOut it,  is as if the skippers  have to relearn how  to sail the boat on that tack. All the load paths, keel angle, ballast levels, polars and other metrics are suddenly out of whack. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, stief said:

Conrad H says Bouwe Bekking has been routing a VO65 against the fleet, and it's "comfortably ahead."  This led Conrad H and Mike G to rightly question whether sea state was taken into account.

Surely Bouwe would factor sea state. Anyone have a link or more info?

FWIW...  in the virtual version of this race, the polars are comparable to 2016 IMOCAs, and the leaders are about 1,700 nm ahead of Dalin.  Something like 70,000 boats are ahead of Dalin.  I respect Bouwe, but it isn't a fair way to make a point.  Virtual fleet was behind the real fleet back near the Cape of Good Hope, but when the real fleet went North of Kerguelen, the virtual fleet went south, and when the sea state got ugly, the virtual fleet sailed away.  No breakage, no exhaustion, no sea state, nothing but speed.  Honestly, a virtual routing of a Class 40 from Cape of Good Hope might have outpaced the real fleet.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Cwinsor said:

....From what I understood from the discussion when this occurred on  LinkedOut it,  is as if the skippers  have to relearn how to sail the boat on that tack. All the load paths, keel angle, ballast levels, polars and other metrics are suddenly out of whack. 

AT learned pretty quickly last time with his port tack/stb foil gonski. 

Check out the flag moment at 2.25 but more importantly open sheeting angles, twin headed but still on the edge of being overpowered.

Thomas learnt pretty quickly and Charlie hopefully won't take long to adapt. He had better as the three of them appear now to be in a Sth Wester on his unfavourable starboard tack. 

IMG_20201215_131418.jpg

1 hour ago, stief said:

Fair enough. You know this, or just pointing out the possibility/ likelihood?

Anyone talking about the Vendee Globe right now is pushing a narrative. 11th Hour wants to plug their imoca and foils. Bouwe wants to plug the Vo65. The boat designers and former skippers with their own firms want elevator rudder work. Even JLC and Kevin have a story to plug. Young skippers wanting to move up the ranks offering their weather analysis. No one affiliated with anything volunteers their time and expertise and jeopardy for free without an agenda. 

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

FWIW...  in the virtual version of this race, the polars are comparable to 2016 IMOCAs, and the leaders are about 1,700 nm ahead of Dalin.  Something like 70,000 boats are ahead of Dalin.  I respect Bouwe, but it isn't a fair way to make a point.  Virtual fleet was behind the real fleet back near the Cape of Good Hope, but when the real fleet went North of Kerguelen, the virtual fleet went south, and when the sea state got ugly, the virtual fleet sailed away.  No breakage, no exhaustion, no sea state, nothing but speed.  Honestly, a virtual routing of a Class 40 from Cape of Good Hope might have outpaced the real fleet.

Wondered about that too, since Conrad H and Mike G mentioned the virtual game. Thanks for confirming the game situation. I suspect Bouwe was playing his own game routing using the polars he would have from his record run in the last VOR.

To be fair, would be interesting to know how fair Bouwe tried to make his game, Did he also add extra weight for the supplies needed to take a full crew around the world non-stop too? :lol:

23 minutes ago, stief said:

I suspect Bouwe was playing his own game routing using the polars he would have from his record run in the last VOR.

A record that didn't last for long when broken by the other Dutch paint boat not once but twice. They also had a nice gulf stream current up the arse giving them a free ride and good sea state.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Anyone talking about the Vendee Globe right now is pushing a narrative. 11th Hour wants to plug their imoca and foils. Bouwe wants to plug the Vo65. The boat designers and former skippers with their own firms want elevator rudder work. Even JLC and Kevin have a story to plug. Young skippers wanting to move up the ranks offering their weather analysis. No one affiliated with anything volunteers their time and expertise and jeopardy for free without an agenda. 

You're probably right, and I liked the way the VOR gave sailors like Will Harris a chance to make it to the pros,  but I keep thinking "Say it ain't true, Babe" .Is the VG only about many pros and sponsors pushing product?  

Didac, for example. I was barely aware of him on a BWR a few years ago, and could hardly find much on him today.I suspect he is far less interested in selling something. He just seems to love ocean racing.  Others like Rich Wilson and Nandor Fa also seem to march to different drums.

Anyway. It is what it is. The money allows many to race, but I suspect many don't do it just for the money. 

2 hours ago, Rafael said:

Dalin actualy losing all his delta surrounded by Ruyant & Bestaven in morning daylight...

DALInBrokeF.thumb.jpg.a31c4a6fe396928cafc9e2e76b3b111f.jpg

HP velcro caught main peloton, calmed conditions might benefit the three leaders to increase some more miles and facilitate to asses Dalin's distress

DALInBrokeF2.thumb.jpg.e839ed924262e09811f33fa2c18fc29a.jpg

Dalin down to 3rd position... surpassed on starboard and portside by the new race leader/s

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Remember 8 years ago and before for Gabart, media access was a fraction it is now.

Old rules need modification to suit today. 

For instance Charlie says foil is fucked, BUT it is the opposite side to what it really is. :P

Jack is it legal to falsify reported damage to the boat? So in the case of Charlie what would he have to gain by reporting his foil is fucked if it isn't? So his competition backs off?

Another sail-world recap. Ruyant still waiting to gybe, something he expected to do miles ago, to take advantage of his good foil. Whines a bit about the cold, but he has his blankie to keep himself warm...

"At night, it's cold! I put on several layers of fleeces and jumpers and sleep with a duvet."

Not sure I want to know about the jumpers.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

A record that didn't last for long when broken by the other Dutch paint boat not once but twice. They also had a nice gulf stream current up the arse giving them a free ride and good sea state.

And a level of cross pollination between teams that sharpened the edge with AC and Olympic guys spending 7 months on a boat together 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Jack is it legal to falsify reported damage to the boat? So in the case of Charlie what would he have to gain by reporting his foil is fucked if it isn't? So his competition backs off?

Charlie would successfully claim a language misunderstanding.

He told them 'harbor foil' (instead of 'port foil') BUT they thought he said 'starboard foil' 

• Like 1
Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Charlie would successfully claim a language misunderstanding.

He told them 'harbor foil' (instead of 'port foil') and they thought he said 'starboard foil' 

Shit Jack we are clutching at straws now.! What does the Gabart school of Vendee's say in it's rule book? :D

36 minutes ago, stief said:

Tough for Charlie. At least the others aren't diverting to him, so that's good. A bit surprised Thomas Ruyant is ahead of Yannick B. Thought it would be the other way. 

He has shown he has the fastest boat of the fleet so far (515Nm), no much mistery, he's containing awesome YannB's push with the wounded moustache in water and could well outperform him at 100% (or in port tack) in good sea state and pressure. (So could Dalin, if he gets out of this as unscathered as twin Thomas...)

Meanwhile someone continues his dream Indian run to the oriental future richness and gains in miles for the next days... Idem ugly Clarisse and AttanasioTriponGains.thumb.jpg.856b840291d78f9efb6d93c482b172e9.jpg

6 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

That said, there is one thread that is consistent throughout, and that is THAT LITTLE CHAY AND HIS FAMILY ARE EVERYWHERE! Who was enabling and providing assistance through his brother when Vestas11thHR sailed into the Falklands? Little Chay. Whose wife may or may not have had information with regard to Iceburg A68A, which Stief felt compelled to remind us, even though most of us knew, that Herman and others had mentioned above, some weeks ago? Little Chay. Whose sister took a photo of the Boss boat outside what appears to be Cape Town, with a couple of ribs nearby? Little Chay's.  Newcomers, pay heed to Little Chay.  And to Stief and Hermann. 

No not my sister .... at least not one that I am aware of.. will have to have a word with the old man perhaps!!!!  But thanks for the up anyway :)

40 minutes ago, Miffy said:

And a level of cross pollination between teams that sharpened the edge with AC and Olympic guys spending 7 months on a boat together 

Maybe I am missing your meaning, but Peter Burling and Blaire Tuke were on different VOR boats/teams.

14 minutes ago, littlechay said:

No not my sister .... at least not one that I am aware of.. will have to have a word with the old man perhaps!!!!  But thanks for the up anyway :)

Yeah, I made the same mistake Stief did....but seriously, I DID wear my Falklands Island bright yellow pile hat with the penguins on it paying you homage for the Vestas 11th HR mast facilitation while skiing today, LC!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, despacio avenue said:

Maybe I am missing your meaning, but Peter Burling and Blaire Tuke were on different VOR boats/teams.

Every team learned from each other and onboard each team, the diff background folks made each other better. It was like an extended training camp. 

2 hours ago, stief said:

Because I screwed up. Chay pointed out his old ride behind Sam's boat on the lift. Dragon posted his sister's pic of Sam leaving Capetown. I mixed up the two posts.

apologies, especially to Chay and Dragon. I made a bad joke worse.

Forgiven, just too many posts to keep everything straight.

really sorry for Dalin, he was sailing very wisely. As before, one wonders if a structural failure like Ruyant, or a dreaded UFO.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Miffy said:

I mean using polars of a fully crewed boat that is 5 ft longer in a pretend simulation vs reality of human fatigue, work list and strategy? It is like folks who look at the forecasts they have and assume that’s the reality over the water (and the local weather forecasts are some of the worst in regions where there’s limited maritime utility or specific interest) - and say “oh haha boat isn’t performing to spec”

5 hours ago, stief said:

Of course. Do you think Bouwe wouldn't know that? Do you think I didn't know that? That's why I asked for a link. Sheesh.

You can't fix stupid.

3 hours ago, TheDragon said:

really sorry for Dalin, he was sailing very wisely. As before, one wonders if a structural failure like Ruyant, or a dreaded UFO.

Given the report that is still on the top of the English web page about him struggling to slow the boat down and find a smooth ride the night before, you’d have to guess structural failure.

Dalin now pointing NNE in Mtraff... almost static... maneuver and bricolage time for the young padawan... cutting also the port foil ?... will he broadcast it like AT or in video like Ruyant, has he experience repairing while racing... serious doubts

DALInBrokeF4.thumb.jpg.c63c6112538bbd9fc660a10046332490.jpg

The Apivia foil appears to be fine, it is the foil bottom wedge (still not sure about the term here) that is damaged. He is looking at how to repair it. There is no water ingress in the boat.

Charlie has also gybed to make the repair easier.

Source: https://twitter.com/JacquesGuyader/status/1338765977832611842?s=20

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Rafael said:

ok.png.4f87d0f6e338158252d28054bf142e84.png

Nook.png.adb5b754de99612f685cc5c8203ae0e0.png WRONG. ERROR.  Perdon amigo. Just WikiCopy & WikiPaste

Thomson's Clipper Race win in 1999 made him the youngest skipper ever to win a round-the-world yacht race.[1][2] As of February 2016 he still holds this record.[1][2] He is an around the world solo sailor, and holds the 24-hour world speed sailing record for solo mono-hulls (537 nautical miles at an average speed of 22.4 knots).

Sponsored by Hugo Boss he took part in the Vendée Globe 2004/05 but was forced to retire after damage to the carbon fitting that attached the boom to the deck.[3] He also started in 2008, but had to retire from the race after a cracked hull. He was third in 2012 and second in the 2016 edition.[4] During the latter edition, Thomson set new fastest reference times from Les Sables d'Olonne to the Equator (9 days 7 h 02 min[5]) and the Cape of Good Hope (17 days 22 h 58 min[6]).

However, 13 days into the race Hugo Boss's starboard foil broke after hitting an unidentified floating object,[7] therefore hampering Alex's progress throughout the rest of the course. Of note, most of the race takes place on port tack, that is, the boat would have made good use of the missing starboard foil.[8] Despite his foil and anemometer/autopilot problems, Thomson finished the race with the second fastest time on record – 74 days 19 h 35 min 15 sec, 16h behind Armel Le Cléac'h.[4]

In the 2019 Transat Jacques Vabre race, Thomson's $7.7 million racing yacht was struck by a submerged object, forcing Thomson and his co-skipper Neal McDonald to make repairs in order to stabilise the boat.[9]   **** ADD VG2020 edition too...

Records

So he's won the Clipper race, a shit show that nobody cares about apart from the paying passengers and Sir Robin, because he can make a lot of money whilst killing people and breaking boats, ignoring everything the MAIB says...

And that's enough for you to put him in the same category as Peyron, Le Cam, Mac Arthur, etc.

Well good for you.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

The Apivia foil appears to be fine, it is the foil bottom wedge (still not sure about the term here) that is damaged. He is looking at how to repair it. There is no water ingress in the boat.

Charlie has also gybed to make the repair easier.

Source: https://twitter.com/JacquesGuyader/status/1338765977832611842?s=20

Roger that Bebmou so... The port foil of @ApiviaVoile has integrity. It is the foil wedge which is broken. It joins the hull and the boat. Charlie Dalin will tackle a repair this morning

He said he heard a Loud bang... means the foil's joint broke strongly along with hull joint structural failure?... or maybe caused by torsion w/ sudden OFNI ?

Just now, Rafael said:

Roger that Bebmou so... The port foil of @ApiviaVoile has integrity. It is the foil wedge which is broken. It joins the hull and the boat. Charlie Dalin will tackle a repair this morning

He said he heard a Loud bang... means the foil's joint broke strongly along with hull joint structural failure?... or maybe caused by torsion w/ sudden OFNI ?

I think I read somewhere that he doesn't think he hit anything so far.

13 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

So he's won the Clipper race, a shit show that nobody cares about apart from the paying passengers and Sir Robin, because he can make a lot of money whilst killing people and breaking boats, ignoring everything the MAIB says...

And that's enough for you to put him in the same category as Peyron, Le Cam, Mac Arthur, etc.

Well good for you.

Alex Thomson is the english Bernard Stamm :)

8 hours ago, Rafael said:

Dalin actualy losing all his delta surrounded by Ruyant & Bestaven in morning daylight...DALInBrokeF.thumb.jpg.a31c4a6fe396928cafc9e2e76b3b111f.jpg

HP velcro caught main peloton, calmed conditions might benefit the three leaders to increase some more miles and facilitate to asses Dalin's distress

ECMWF @ 00:00 UTC 

HP zone for non-foilers 0000 UTC 151220.jpg

• Like 1

Dalin seems to have just finished repairs looking at his current heading and increasing boat speed. 

Le Cam could be Le Cam, but also one of the other boats close to him.

AIS 151220.png

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Snowden said:

there is some cool drone footage of Boris H from Louis Burton on the VG instagram account

thanx for that

yacht.de brought the story about apivia's damaged foil but also reports that bestaven just came down from the mast exhausted repairing J2 which he couldn't use for a week, it took him 1-1.5 hours to repair it, now it seems to be ok

https://www.yacht.de/regatta/vendee_globe/vende-globe-apivia-mit-foilschaden/a126836.html

• Like 1

Haji, I know it was not an in-depth analyses of US sailors and sponsorship.
But still ...you got the money to compete, built a US Imoca, competed, and finished.... hats off.
And US had Brad V, Open 50 and BOC though, with Hilfigger as sponsor...

It is the same for Dutch basketball players, it is rare to get into the NBA. The infrastructure is just different and makes it harder to rise out of field. Even if you are qualified and talented.

The trio in the lead;
So we have tow new boats with different damage who restricts the use of the foil on one tack, I think both on the same tack ?
And one older boat, with same sail damage.

VG, never boring and a competition of handling problems far away from society.

• Like 2
Just now, LeoV said:

The trio in the lead;
So we have tow new boats with different damage who restricts the use of the foil on one tack, I think both on the same tack ?
And one older boat, with same sail damage.

VG, never boring and a competition of handling problems far away from society.

If Charlie can repair, he should be able to use his foil to its full potential.

15 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

If Charlie can repair, he should be able to use his foil to its full potential.

Not 100%, you will have the niggling in your head. And used up a part of your repair stuff, so less for the next problem. I think he will count on the South Atlantic to make the full on attack. If he can stay in touch now.

14 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Haji, I know it was not an in-depth analyses of US sailors and sponsorship.
But still ...you got the money to compete, built a US Imoca, competed, and finished.... hats off.
And US had Brad V, Open 50 and BOC though, with Hilfigger as sponsor...

It is the same for Dutch basketball players, it is rare to get into the NBA. The infrastructure is just different and makes it harder to rise out of field. Even if you are qualified and talented.

Thanks Leo,

What still amazes me about the Ocean Planet campaign is that so many individuals made personal contributions to help make it happen.  Over 2000 people from all over the USA, and a surprising number from elsewhere. Special mentions to Kevin and Shauna Flanigan of Portland, Oregon, who were the biggest contributors of all.  And so many others... I could fill another 90 pages on this thread to thank them all.

Note... technically we never did actually get enough to do it.  But when people believe in you and show their faith by pitching in personally, even if you don't have enough, and you're in debt far over any sensible level, with big bills hanging over your head...you still have to go and give it your best shot to finish.  I may have started with higher hopes for a better placing, however after about halfway through the only sensible thing to do was sail conservatively and make sure I made it back to Les Sables.

The financial fallout made the few years after the race a real struggle. Culminating in 2008 when the boat had to be sold for a song, and of course that was the worst time to sell a boat. In the end I had to take the fall for the financial fallout, but that's only fair as I am the one who got to be the designated driver for all those contributors who believed that I could do it. Looking back, I'm both surprised and proud that I actually pulled it off.

So I wouldn't go back and change a thing.  I learned so much that has changed my life since. I won't deny that I made a lot of mistakes before during and after...

But as they say, good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgment.

• Like 13
1 minute ago, Haji said:

The financial fallout made the few years after the race a real struggle. Culminating in 2008 when the boat had to be sold for a song, and of course that was the worst time to sell a boat. In the end I had to take the fall for the financial fallout, but that's only fair as I am the one who got to be the designated driver for all those contributors who believed that I could do it. Looking back, I'm both surprised and proud that I actually pulled it off.

You are not alone in this, I know a few guys still paying of debts form 10 years ago.
And all are proud of what they did. You get on to a level not many reached, a finished project. Hats off again.
You know I hanged out in the scene of mini's etc. Many broken dreams and empty wallets, including mine, but a hell of a time.

• Like 5

IG:

Alex is now back in the UK with his family, where he’ll spend Christmas.

HUGO BOSS, meanwhile, will remain in Cape Town (she’s in good company, @sebastien.simon  ) until the New Year.

In January, Alex and the crew plan to return to Cape Town, replace the rudder and sail the boat back to the UK.

A big thank you from the whole team for all your messages of support. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again….we have the best fans in the world!

To the rest of the @vendeeglobe2020 skippers, fair winds and keep on pushing!

51 minutes ago, CARBONINIT said:

No, he is not that. Stop trying to compare. French are far superior at this ocean sailing. The French invest at an early stage ie school kids in dinghies and progress through the ranks. The Brits think it's still for the few who do not know how to deliver or sail.    

Bernard Stamm is from Switzerland and is famous for breaking boats :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snowden said:

Looks like Bureau Vallee is reefed in the video - is that because of known damage or some other reason?

Other reason can be polar indicating with his foresail a reef in is not slower. But damage or just checking the bottom part could be it.
Lighter wind areas are check/repair areas.

• Like 1

Checking into the tacker and I noticed that Isabelle has gybed and sailing away from the ice line though she was over 3 nm from it on what looked like a good line.  Could this be just a positioning gybe for when the next LP  comes along?  It seems out of place compared to other boats around and these days it can mean something occurred or putting the boat in a way that allows for repair.

She's been holding her own with @ 100 nm from the Gang of 5.  At times she's shown good speed runs and has pulled in lead boats over time.

I watched the Boris video of 5 boats sailing, nay racing in the Southern Indian ocean and was also amazed.  Perhaps a testament to both the boats AND sailors who made great choices to keep this a competitive race all the way back to 11th.  For all the talk about how the foilers will come into their own as the get into the Pacific I'd like to think that JLC still has some cards left to play.

9 minutes ago, steinbrenner said:

looks like hove to

Hove to or 4 kts in 5 kts of wind or trying to get to a wind line.  From my untrained eye it looks like a convergent wind line just @ 20 nm ahead and a nasty looking hole off to the west that could eat him up if he stayed more east.  He may be just working up a little to catch a better breeze and stay in some wind.

25 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Other reason can be polar indicating with his foresail a reef in is not slower. But damage or just checking the bottom part could be it.
Lighter wind areas are check/repair areas.

since a few days he can't raise his mainsail past the 1st reef... technical issue.

• Like 3

Seeing the updates from Ari & Armel & Boris - can't help but wonder what could have been for Armel in particular because he's so positive and actually bothers to try and promote the event. Ari deserves some sort of special mention & perhaps VG should institute a spirit award of some kind for the skipper soloing without becoming weird and continuing to engage ppl & punches way above his sponsor's weight.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, yl75 said:

A 3D view is now available on the tracker, much better for the "round the Antartic/southern ocean(s)" leg !

Its too bad we can't get the wind overlay on the "3d" view... maybe they'll be able to work that out

• Like 3

APIVIA update here: https://www.apivia.fr/voile/actualites-voile/le-point-sur-la-situation-de-la-cale-de-foil-endommagee/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Organic&utm_campaign=Twitter_15122020_Point-sur-la-situation

Antoine Carraz, Directeur Technique du Team APIVIA :

« Nous avons travaillé toute la nuit et dans la matinée avec Charlie afin d’être en mesure de proposer une solution viable et tenter de résoudre le problème constaté. Charlie a modifié sa trajectoire afin de profiter de conditions favorables pour effectuer la réparation de la cale basse du foil bâbord et celle-ci s’est bien déroulée. Le bateau a ainsi pu reprendre sa trajectoire aux alentours de 13h (heure française) et Charlie a pu aller se reposer. L’objectif est maintenant de valider la réparation dans les heures qui viennent afin de passer plus sereinement dans l’océan Pacifique. Nous restons donc prudents et attentifs face à ces prochaines heures, qui s’annoncent cruciales pour la suite de la course de Charlie. »

We have been working all night and morning with Charlie in order to be able to give him a viable solution and to solve the problem. Charlie had to gybe to have better conditions for the port side foil wedge repair and it all went well. Around 13h French time, he was able to gybe back and take some rest. The target now is to validate the repair in the coming hours so the Pacific goes smoothly. We will remain prudent and careful in the coming hours as they will be critical for the rest of Charlie's race.

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

APIVIA update here: https://www.apivia.fr/voile/actualites-voile/le-point-sur-la-situation-de-la-cale-de-foil-endommagee/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Organic&utm_campaign=Twitter_15122020_Point-sur-la-situation

We have been working all night and morning with Charlie in order to be able to give him a viable solution and to solve the problem. Charlie had to gybe to have better conditions for the port side foil wedge repair and it all went well. Around 13h French time, he was able to gybe back and take some rest. The target now is to validate the repair in the coming hours so the Pacific goes smoothly. We will remain prudent and careful in the coming hours as they will be critical for the rest of Charlie's race.

Thank you for including the original source and quote in French.

8 minutes ago, chester said:

That is incredible!  they should have a raft up, get pissed and then restart.

With those outriggers be kind hard to raft, but getting close enough for a real chat as they "race" could have been fun.  As Boris said on the video, you don't feel so alone for a bit.  Once the wind starts to roll in again I bet we'll see changes...but it would be something if they were racing like this most the way.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:27 AM, yl75 said:

Regarding HB rudder, I really don't understand why some footage hasn't been realeased, as, if it what happened, that footage clearly exists (just for shoreteam exchanges for instance).

The important part of this comment is "I really don't understand".  You don't.  There's probably a story and you will eventually find out about it.

• Like 2

Weather update

Pic 1 has the global view of the fleet (ECMWF) sandwiched between 5 LPs to their south and 4 HPs north of them. The HPs are more or less stable, the LPs moving east. The LP above Australia is now projected to be on Thursday between Tasmania and New Zealand moving SE.

So the 3 non-foilers in pursuit of the (semi-)foilers top-3 saw their DTL increase due to the expanding HP, and a smaller local HP patch last night. The repair stuff of Dalin and Bestaven shook things up too. So Ruyant and Bestaven in the lead relativly close to each other (52 NM lateral separation). Than a large gap (100+ NMs) with Dalin. And an increasing even larger gap with the pack behind him (400+ NMs). The fleet is expanding again.

Also, a new AEZ v3 has been published. Moving it to the south from 120 East. I noted the new AEZ due to lots of boats sailing where they were not allowed under the V2 limit. Dalin also just crossed the old V2 limit. The following pack of 5, and other boats behind them, have gone more south earlier in order to find wind. See pic 2 for the old AEZ V2 as red line, and the new AEZ V3 in orange.

I created a new virtual waypoint @ 150 West and 53 South as the AE V3 opens up a more southern route, but in the end the AEZ goes more north again. Which makes that another corner to pass. The new WP is 40 NM north of the AEZ V3. This going north of the AEZ also explaines that Bestaven has a 9 NM DTL but a much larger 52 NM lateral separation with Ruyant. As the separation is far more north-south than east-west.

But mind the distortion of the Mercator projection going so far south on these latitudes, the shortest route or great circle route is actually below the AEZ. See pic 3 the blue line. The distortion of projecting a sphere on a square gets bigger near the north and south pole.

Weather routing was difficult due to some irritating crashes, so I kept it to the first 4 boats as this costs too much time already. See pic 4. Routing for Ruyant in pic 5. Hugging the coming week the AEZ. Except for Friday, when the LP from Australia is projected to move SE over Campbell Island forcing him more to the north. If the forecast holds up and Ruyant looses not more bits and pieces of the boat.

global 151220 v2.jpg

New AEZ V3 151220.jpg

great circle 151220.png

routing table 151220.png

routing Ruyant 151220.png

• Like 8
53 minutes ago, chester said:

That is incredible!  they should have a raft up, get pissed and then restart.

I'm trying to remember whether I've ever been a park up where the boats exchanged beers. I do remember one drift-fest where the crews entertained each other telling shaggy-dog stories with awful punchlines.

He compared the 2nd Alex took in the Vendee (with a wounded boat).   How many times have you come in 2nd in the Vendee.....  heck a beer can race for that matter?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, cortosam said:

Bernard Stamm is from Switzerland and is famous for breaking boats :)

Well he can thank Juan K and aluminium core for one of those.

• Like 3