1 hour ago, staysail said:

A cynic might say that $25 million might have been better spent elsewhere and might also ask where that money came from (taxes presumably?) and if the taxpayers who shelled out were consulted? wanted it done? and have benefited from the spend?
I still say a lone sailor wanting to anchor in a lee to effect repairs should not be banned from doing so, and to try and impose such a ban makes no sense and is against basic freedoms.

There’s no such thing as basic freedoms in territorial waters. Throw that solo sailor romantic nonsense out. Cruising and solos sailing isn’t even possible without society and infrastructure. No one is an island entire in itself. Except Britain. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

1 minute ago, ant1 said:

I don't see it as a "freedom" thing. Its australian sovereign waters, a protected island in the middle of nowhere no one comes close to in normal times, imho its "normal", basic politeness, to ask for permission and discuss your intentions with them considering the island's very protected status.

I just find it a little excessive, in this case, to "forbid" anchoring a little offshore if need be... but I understand the australians don't want to send out a message that may attract "tourists" who may want to come sightseeing around the island.

Everyone thinks they’re special and deserves an exception because they present minimal risk until their boat drags, destroys unique habitat and then rolls onto the beach and need to be disposed off. Then more YouTube morons repeat the process and you have an ecological disaster. Or maybe some bridge crews who wanted 4G signal. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, stief said:

There were long email exchanges working out a compromise. No need to go into anti-masker mode.

8 minutes ago, ant1 said:

I don't see it as a "freedom" thing. Its australian sovereign waters, a protected island in the middle of nowhere no one comes close to in normal times, imho its "normal", basic politeness, to ask for permission and discuss your intentions with them considering the island's very protected status.

I just find it a little excessive, in this case, to "forbid" anchoring a little offshore if need be... but I understand the australians don't want to send out a message that may attract "tourists" who may want to come sightseeing around the island.

Yes, normal behavior is a polite request and an immediate hospitable welcome and advice as to a sensible place to anchor.

• Downvote 1

Herrmann was apparently having trouble with comms said Andi on the Live, other than text commentaries. So, checked his dashboard, and, looks like his dashboard is getting fed regularly.

One oddity (besides foil extension%): https://exocet.cloud/grafana/d/bsbc_5MGz/malizia-public-dashboard?orgId=15&from=1607886450732&to=1608491250732&theme=dark&refresh=5s&viewPanel=2

Daily regular spike in CO2 concentration? WAG: Running the diesel for regular maintenance/check  . . .

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, stief said:

Daily regular spike in CO2 concentration? WAG: Running the diesel for regular maintenance/check  . . .

Yes... the regularity does point to something "technical", maybe a sensor bug if its not the engine?

Edit: The regularity and shortness seems to exclude physical effort, Edit2: Its water co2 anyway so nothing to do with physical effort

5 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Yes, could very well be, or the moments he's working hard and therefore exerting more co2...

It is water CO2 constantly being sampled. Not sure where the instrument is mounted but most likely it is desalination waste water being dumped when the RO is running. The brine has virtually no dissolved oxygen. 

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

It is water CO2 constantly being sampled. Not sure where the instrument is mounted but most likely it is desalination waste water being dumped when the RO is running. The brine has virtually no dissolved oxygen. 

Ah... my bad, didn't see it was the water co2, don't know why I just assumed it was air co2 in the "cabin" without looking at the legend

7 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Good interviews, thanks

Cheers. Laughed at Ryan B talking about his insider info on the redress, lazy FR architects re rake and rocker, and more. Lots of tongue in cheek, but also entertaining info.

aside: this is the vid of Chris N that they're talking about

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Miffy said:

There’s no such thing as basic freedoms in territorial waters. Throw that solo sailor romantic nonsense out. Cruising and solos sailing isn’t even possible without society and infrastructure. No one is an island entire in itself. Except Britain. 

Now more than ever :)

3 hours ago, stief said:

Latest Bar Karate up now. Sure to be a hit on the S-H thread B)

Great interview.  He brought up that the Japanese know where the whales are.  I read the history of green peace a long time ago and one of the founders went to Japan to get whale/whaler location information.  He was successful.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, staysail said:

Yes, normal behavior is a polite request and an immediate hospitable welcome and advice as to a sensible place to anchor.

But in these times it seems too many travelers have a tendency to act selfishly and ignore as many

external constraints as they can get away with. It is easy to guess 10+ yachts per year attempting to

check a box on their life list of places visited and selfies posted from that island. Sorry, the bar is

closed and you will have to go elsewhere for your libations.

2 hours ago, ant1 said:

Yes... the regularity does point to something "technical", maybe a sensor bug if its not the engine?

Edit: The regularity and shortness seems to exclude physical effort, Edit2: Its water co2 anyway so nothing to do with physical effort

It's a daily calibration of the sensor, says one of the scientists using the data: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHXSGeov3I

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, oysterhead said:

But in these times it seems too many travelers have a tendency to act selfishly and ignore as many

external constraints as they can get away with. It is easy to guess 10+ yachts per year attempting to

check a box on their life list of places visited and selfies posted from that island. Sorry, the bar is

What are you talking about? Louis' boat is a vessel seeking refuge on the high seas. Louis is obliged to request permission but the coastal state concerned is obliged to offer assistance and cooperation. There are caveats but surely this is in the law of the sea.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2
39 minutes ago, oysterhead said:

Australia, Tasmania, National Park, World Heritage area, isolated outpost with almost no medical or evacuation support, COVID, a yacht NOT in distress, wanting to do some 'repairs' within 3nm.

Remind me what part of needing to negotiate access into these waters impinges on 'freedom'?

Stief - What did you actually expect?

• Like 2

So, Maitre Coq first across the dateline.  Can he expect every thing that happened today to happen again tomorrow?

Looks like he is sailing faster than 104% of 2016 polars. Next routing will be at 105%.

Vendee20.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Nixon said:

Australia, Tasmania, National Park, World Heritage area, isolated outpost with almost no medical or evacuation support, COVID, a yacht NOT in distress, wanting to do some 'repairs' within 3nm.

Remind me what part of needing to negotiate access into these waters impinges on 'freedom'?

As someone who has been scuba diving for more than 40 years, virtually everywhere in the world, and has visited some pretty remote places, I have been witness to the destruction a boat anchor can do to the sea bottom, or a reef, and here, the sea floor, and the island itself, are apparently the only places where the earth's core exist above the surface of the earth itself, so, very unique, not to mention the living species unique to that island. Once the door to anchoring is opened, it's impossible to shut.  Cocos Island is a good, sad example, I went there on a live aboard dive boat. It took a couple of days to get there. Lots of hammerheads, some whale sharks,  a very vibrant and healthy ecosystem with vibrant coral and sealife,  all "watched over" by a few Costa Rican wildlife officials.  On the way back to CR, the first Gulf War broke out. We learned about it from the boat's crew who were listening to Radio Havana and the BBC! Anyhow, fast forward to today. Cocos Island became overrun by dive boats, not unlike the Galapagos. That and climate change has severely impacted the sea life. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

As someone who has been scuba diving for more than 40 years, virtually everywhere in the world, and has visited some pretty remote places, I have been witness to the destruction a boat anchor can do to the sea bottom, or a reef, and here, the sea floor, and the island itself, are apparently the only places where the earth's core exist above the surface of the earth itself, so, very unique, not to mention the living species unique to that island. Once the door to anchoring is opened, it's impossible to shut.  Cocos Island is a good, sad example, I went there on a live aboard dive boat. It took a couple of days to get there. Lots of hammerheads, some whale sharks,  a very vibrant and healthy ecosystem with vibrant coral and sealife,  all "watched over" by a few Costa Rican wildlife officials.  On the way back to CR, the first Gulf War broke out. We learned about it from the boat's crew who were listening to Radio Havana and the BBC! Anyhow, fast forward to today. Cocos Island became overrun by dive boats, not unlike the Galapagos. That and climate change has severely impacted the sea life. 

And were you seeking refuge, or were you indulging yourself in scuba diving either for fun or money?

• Downvote 1
16 minutes ago, staysail said:

And were you seeking refuge, or were you indulging yourself in scuba diving either for fun or money?

one can argue that solosaiing is basically peak indulgence and if you want to open that can of worms, expending resources rescuing solo sailors shouldn’t even be justified since you were complaining about spending money protecting ecosystems. 

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, staysail said:

https://www.initiatives-coeur.fr/

https://www.facebook.com/initiativescoeur/videos/746289052967174/

and I make it that she is less than 300 miles distant from the last in the racing fleet. 41 kids have heart operations so far!

Thanks for the links. Am still resisting a FaceBook account: have to rely on my kids and friends using theirs to click the hearts.

Too bad FB rejects posting FB videos here and that FB has no auto translate/ transcript. 1st world problems.  

Still hoping for [what I said earlier]  . . . Screen_Shot_2020-12-20_at_6_32.39_PM.thumb.png.87e5c288998e55c9f49925a668f45b51.png

Edited by stief
forgot attachment
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Great interview.  He brought up that the Japanese know where the whales are.  I read the history of green peace a long time ago and one of the founders went to Japan to get whale/whaler location information.  He was successful.

Pretty interesting discussion also about hull shape of the imocas. Apparently Boris was frustrated about always diving into the next wave at 30+knots in the Indian ocean

4 hours ago, stief said:

Cool. Seen this one from the VOR?  http://vor.jbcsystems.com

Oh, no I hadn't, but that makes sense. Thanks for sharing. I think it is a pretty obvious idea for folks who build websites and follow these races.

I'm seeing some decent traffic just from having posted here and that is very motivating. I'll be updating it with new features and other races in the future. 

• Like 1

Nice, thanks.

Feature requests:

• A filter oprion so you can select one or more boats (or skippers) and just see their videos
  • Some statistics on videos per (skipper / boat) - eg minutes of video per week
  • Add youtube links so that a click:
    • Opens in new Window with selected video size (full screen, etc.)
    • Automatically turns on auto-translate or standard transalte if avaialable in a selected language (do-able?)

Cheers!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Nixon said:

Just adding emphasis to the "a yacht NOT in distress"... if he was in distress he would of course have every right to anchor under a whole swathe of international maritime agreements. 

• Like 6
22 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Just adding emphasis to the "a yacht NOT in distress"... if he was in distress he would of course have every right to anchor under a whole swathe of international maritime agreements. 

My reading of the law of the sea seemed to me to recognise that a mariner did not have to be "in distress" to need to fine a place of refuge to effect repairs. It seemed the strongest obligation was that the coastal state should be helpful. If you are "in distress" it is a mayday situation and you are asking for help/rescue, not refuge.

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, staysail said:

My reading of the law of the sea seemed to me to recognise that a mariner did not have to be "in distress" to need to fine a place of refuge to effect repairs. It seemed the strongest obligation was that the coastal state should be helpful. If you are "in distress" it is a mayday situation and you are asking for help/rescue, not refuge.

Maybe you are right, but from what I understand he can continue safely if not efficiently. Bit of a grey area when you have already put yourself in a very grey area of the law of the sea (i.e. single handed racing). 

I think that somebody did a similar thing in the last and couldn't anchor either, anybody remember who? I do agree that it is a shit attitude from the Aussies especially given that there is hardly likely to be a hord of cruisers descend on the island and demand anchoring rights. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Successfull repairs for Louis Burton.

New hook fitted at the top of the mast and new main rail as well

Shouting at the end of the video could've scare shit out of protected species :D

I can't comment more because of language barrier, but from the tracker I'd say it took more than planned. Anyway I'm happy he's done with repairs

• Like 3
1 hour ago, steinbrenner said:

Shouting at the end of the video could've scare shit out of protected species :D

I can't comment more because of language barrier, but from the tracker I'd say it took more than planned. Anyway I'm happy he's done with repairs

Basically he is is saying he hates going up the mast, and just being really happy that it is over at the end :)

Weather update

Finally found 4 hours for an update. Adjusted polars for Bestaven @ 104% - will crank later to 105% as indicated by @Hitchhiker Dalin to 103% and Ruyant to 99%. AEZ has moved down a bit to V4 (in green) from V3 (in red) see pic 1. I have not adjusted yet for AEZ V4 or changed the virtual WP, hopefully tomorrow.

Pic 2 has the windy EUMETSAT overview as overlay in OpenCPN with 0830 positions. Ex-TC Yasa can be seen north of New Zealand. The HP zone above the top-3 is providing lights winds for days to come for them. And will follow them east. Most boats are close to the AEZ except for Dalin and Ruyant. Routing to the virtual WP worked this time now the fleet is passing 180E. The routing table for top-5 is in pic 3.

Weather models align on a higher scale only. Light wind patches will be hard to model accurately for specific location and timing. Dynamic situation in the coming days as several LP's rotate in from Australia and 60S with lighter winds in between those LP's and the HP.  

Routings for Bestaven, Dalin, Le Cam, Ruyant and Herrmann are attached too. 

PS an impressive march through the ranks by Beyou. I hope the VG has a "comeback of the year" award!

AEZ V3 and V4.jpg

EUMETSAT_211220_with_0900_positions.png

routing table 211220.png

Bestaven 211220.png

Ruyant 211220.png

Le Cam 211220.png

Herrmann 211220.png

• Like 4
1 hour ago, huey 2 said:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 9.12.20 pm.png

Hmm, shown as "Southern Ocean", despite being north of 55 degrees... Interesting :-)

FWIW, I'm writing this from 56.2 degrees north :-), certainly brings home the N-S hemisphere climate difference!!!

Cheers,

W.

Not looking good for Destremeau "ca sent le sapin"

http://www.courseaularge.com/vendee-globe-direction-laustralie-pour-sebastien-destremau.html?fbclid=IwAR3TEPLzvXBcrk09jj34nLt808YRzxddngfCwn3pGnYSKEypw6bnU3wG5r4

His rudder repair is not really working. He needs to rebuils some sort of structure to be able to mound the rudder angle sensor.

He is heading for Australia, and he is already talking about maybe collect some parts and continue outside the race.

Re Kevin Saliou's Windy plugin

"v1.2.6 of the @windyforecast #VG2020 plugin is being published, at last! It partially fixes the issues related to the fleet crossing the anitmeridian which is not well handled by @LeafletJS  apparently. The routing is still buggy, I'll try so fix it ASAP."

https://twitter.com/kbsali/status/1341013171792973824?s=20

• Like 2
2 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

Hmm, shown as "Southern Ocean", despite being north of 55 degrees... Interesting :-)

FWIW, I'm writing this from 56.2 degrees north :-), certainly brings home the N-S hemisphere climate difference!!!

Cheers,

W.

Might that difference more accurately be called the "Gulf Stream Climate Difference" ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

Cheers,

W.

Really not so much the hemispheric difference than the ocean current differences. The land distribution around the North Atlantic funnels warm water north in Europe. No similar land configuration exists in the south. Nain in Labrador, on the coast, has an annual average temperature of -2.5°C and is at the same latitude as you. Just ocean currents at work.

Dolphinmaster beat me too it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Herman said:

Weather update

Finally found 4 hours for an update. Adjusted polars for Bestaven @ 104% - will crank later to 105% as indicated by @Hitchhiker Dalin to 103% and Ruyant to 99%. AEZ has moved down a bit to V4 (in green) from V3 (in red) see pic 1. I have not adjusted yet for AEZ V4 or changed the virtual WP, hopefully tomorrow.

Pic 2 has the windy EUMETSAT overview as overlay in OpenCPN with 0830 positions. Ex-TC Yasa can be seen north of New Zealand. The HP zone above the top-3 is providing lights winds for days to come for them. And will follow them east. Most boats are close to the AEZ except for Dalin and Ruyant. Routing to the virtual WP worked this time now the fleet is passing 180E. The routing table for top-5 is in pic 3.

Weather models align on a higher scale only. Light wind patches will be hard to model accurately for specific location and timing. Dynamic situation in the coming days as several LP's rotate in from Australia and 60S with lighter winds in between those LP's and the HP.  

Routings for Bestaven, Dalin, Le Cam, Ruyant and Herrmann are attached too. 

PS an impressive march through the ranks by Beyou. I hope the VG has a "comeback of the year" award!

routing table 211220.png

4 hrs! Ouch, but thanks. Appreciate seeing the diff in ice zones. OpenCPN shows that the time upwind is they key to watch in the days ahead--wondered why Herrmann isn't forecast to extend on JLC.

Just checking the latest squid/windy plugin. Still buggy, but works for boats past the antemeridian. Yannick's course looks to take advantage of the currents in a couple of days.

95085679_ScreenShot2020-12-21at8_10_21AM.thumb.png.f386ca3d5c396b9e6aeac1adc2a25359.png

Herrmann uses Béyou's comments to compare his setup and JLC's. Backs up what Cape and Nick Bice were saying about the difference a few degrees would make on this leg of the course.

I am running a bit out of juice with just my big gennaker of 300 sq metres as Jean Le Cam is making miles back at me and on this VMG angle his boat is maybe just a little bit less draggy, that is just a guess, and he is most certainly has a kite of 400 sq metres which will be allowing him to sail 10 degrees lower and faster and so your VMG is massively better. I read some stuff from IMOCA with Jérémie Beyou saying what a slow race this is compared to the last one, and he said it is all about just ten degrees here or there and two knots more or less that makes the difference. If I could have anything this morning it would be that, to have the wind from ten degrees more right and three knots more I would be making record speeds along the ice gate in a straight line. So instead here I am slow and gybing, feeling like sometimes I am not going anywhere.”  

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/21172/message-from-boris-herrmann

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Nixon said:

Nice, thanks.

Feature requests:

• A filter oprion so you can select one or more boats (or skippers) and just see their videos
  • Some statistics on videos per (skipper / boat) - eg minutes of video per week
  • Add youtube links so that a click:
    • Opens in new Window with selected video size (full screen, etc.)
    • Automatically turns on auto-translate or standard transalte if avaialable in a selected language (do-able?)

Cheers!

Very helpful! Thanks for all the good suggestions.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, yl75 said:

Basically he is is saying he hates going up the mast, and just being really happy that it is over at the end :)

And it took him longer than anticipated because he arrived on the leeside of the island just before sunset; and he could not do the repair in the mast at night.

You can tell from the tone of his voice that he hates, he HATES climbing up the mast. And that he is very VERY happy that it is done. Good for him. Incredible effort.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, littlechay said:

Maybe you are right, but from what I understand he can continue safely if not efficiently. Bit of a grey area when you have already put yourself in a very grey area of the law of the sea (i.e. single handed racing). 

I think that somebody did a similar thing in the last and couldn't anchor either, anybody remember who? I do agree that it is a shit attitude from the Aussies especially given that there is hardly likely to be a hord of cruisers descend on the island and demand anchoring rights. 

This side discussion seems to be a bit of much ado about nothing.  The island is a protected refuge and a unique place for scientific study.  As a protected refuge it is reasonable to understand that non-scientific people would be deterred from accessing/anchoring at the island without both and understanding of why, how long, and where since...it is a protected refuge and under scientific study.

Stay's argument/point/beef is that why should Burton need "permission" when he is in distress and chay's (et al) viewpoint is that he was not really in any distress.  He needed to make a repair in order to stay in a race, not basically continue sailing.  This is not some eroding of Freedom because the rules were (or are) known.  It is like saying that anybody can just walk onto an archaeological site so they can change into more comfortable shoes.

Burton had many other options, he chose the one that required permission.  Had he been in true distress, as in his boat was sinking, de-masted, severely injured the radio communication would have been  more akin to "what assistance do you need right now and how can we help".

Seems like Burton's bigger worry is a funky electrical problem that could take out his AP again and that could take him out of the race.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

http://www.courseaularge.com/vendee-globe-direction-laustralie-pour-sebastien-destremau.html?fbclid=IwAR3TEPLzvXBcrk09jj34nLt808YRzxddngfCwn3pGnYSKEypw6bnU3wG5r4

His rudder repair is not really working. He needs to rebuils some sort of structure to be able to mound the rudder angle sensor.

He is heading for Australia, and he is already talking about maybe collect some parts and continue outside the race.

He's outside the race from start, isn't he ? :)

3 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

It sounds like he is pretty sure he is going to stop in Perth to get some parts and repair properly. Remember, Sébastien has dual citizenship, French and Australian, so he may already know people in Perth who can help him.

His keel ram hydraulic system has been McGivered (yes, it is a verb...) since the Doldrums, he only has an emergency tiller to steer the boat right now, and it is not a long term sustainable solution, and he has only one autopilot working, badly. The rudder angle sensor bracket has to be rebuilt. The makeshift repair he has done is, if I understand well, not in the right position, and gives wrong input to the AP computer, which makes the boat sail poorly.

French vernacular lesson 103: "Ca sent le sapin"... "It smells pine tree" :blink:   It means: it smells pine tree planks... material used for cheap coffins... the end is near...

• Like 3

With "Likes" and "Downvotes" all over some of my posts on the issue of a mariner needing refuge, and what sort of welcome he should expect I have ruffled a few feathers. Checking up on the numbers I am reassured that the majority of Anarchists who made their views felt are in favour of tolerance and a warm welcome. Some of the minority however are individually more vocal. This sadly reflects modern life.

image.png.be673e8c2152a1ffa3035a3b2f87ecca.png

• Downvote 3
6 minutes ago, staysail said:

With "Likes" and "Downvotes" all over some of my posts on the issue of a mariner needing refuge, and what sort of welcome he should expect I have ruffled a few feathers. Checking up on the numbers I am reassured that the majority of Anarchists who made their views felt are in favour of tolerance and a warm welcome. Some of the minority however are individually more vocal. This sadly reflects modern life.

well, it did spark debate.  Getting people to react is a step towards learning about them.  I felt the view a non-sequitur only because it was not a distress and the island was not a normal island. 

With that said, the video of the island was damn cool and I was thinking not so much PoC but Jurasic Park or Island of Dr Mureo  (sp).  In Hollywood, A low overcast never portends good endings for those that go to the island.  Perhaps it was fortunate that he didn't need to anchor or get on land.  We may have not ever seen him again ^_^

12 minutes ago, staysail said:

the fuck are you on about? If this is about internet points, go post tits in general anarchy and become a legend.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, staysail said:

If I bought it mattered I would have added a downvote to break the tie.

• Like 3

In other high pressure news for Christmas, Christian Dumard weighs in on the mess Herman and Hitch foresaw many days ago:

If the plot line were written only by leader Yannick Bestaven (Maître CoqIV) he would be allowed to escape from the evil clutches of the anticyclone and to ride off to a much more substantial distance on the two groups that are chasing him, Charlie Dalin (APIVIA) at 129 miles behind and Thomas Ruyant (LinkedOut) chasing at 165.1 mile.

Behind them Boris Herrmann in fourth is three to four knots quicker at 373 miles behind Bestaven, at the head of the second wave stretching 530 miles back from Herrmann to Maxime Sorel in 10th.

So complex is the modelling, tracking and timing of the sticky system which is moving south east across their path that Ruyant today admitted he is half prepared to bide his time and watch Bestaven open the course.

But weather ace Christian Dumard, meteo adviser to the race, says there is a slender chance the skipper of Maître Coq might be able to extend his break, sailing close to the ice exclusion, while his chasers are forced north-eastwards to find a different, more roundabout route to hook into the next low pressure system.

"It is not clear if I manage to escape. It is hard to say. Rationally I am the first into the real high pressure areas and then should also be the first to get out, normally!” Explained Bestaven earlier today.

Ruyant responds, “We still have some pressure for a little while but further we go in a straight line the lighter it will be. So I hope Yannick doesn’t escape.”  

"The weather files are only seemingly reliable for two or three days with any real degree of confidence," explains the skipper of LinkedOut. “So the forecasts are not very reliable looking forwards towards Cape Horn. We don't know that much and so I am going to stay a bit conservative.  I'm lucky to be a hunter, in this not very precise weather, not the hunted – not having to lead the way. I can benchmark myself against others, and I watch hour by hour day by day. "

The one thing which does seem sure about this whole scenario is that the anticyclone is crossing their path, cutting off their supplies of breeze. And all the time they are slowed to positively pedestrian paces scuppering the dream sequence of the latest high tech foilers scything east on long Pacific surfs.

There is a narrow bridge Yannick might catch, forecast tomorrow, Apivia and  Linked out might spit over a northern and southern possibility. Worth watching if this next challenge works out differently than the last.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, staysail said:

can you make an analysis of boats? More useful than your Ego boasting. Reflection of modern life is only your own.

2 hours ago, staysail said:

You bother to check and drew up a little spreadsheet??!!:lol:

• Like 1

Apivia is slowly chipping away at MCoQ.  Shaving some 9 hours off the previous estimated finish time to my random selected Waypoint.  That includes bumping MCoQ up 1% to 105%.  Very different routing solutions right now between MCoQ and the three chasers I am routing.  

Vendee20.JPG

Trackupdate1.JPG

Trackupdate2.JPG

Trackupdate3.JPG

• Like 4
2 hours ago, TPG said:

the fuck are you on about? If this is about internet points, go post tits in general anarchy and become a legend.

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

I’m just amazed someone made a chart reviewing post feedback like they’re a public affairs officer in a large business or gov institution. 

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

If I bought it mattered I would have added a downvote to break the tie.

12 minutes ago, troll99 said:

can you make an analysis of boats? More useful than your Ego boasting. Reflection of modern life is only your own.

Now behave yourself kids, no fucking with his likes or dislikes.:lol:

• Like 2

Yikes, big purple blob a coming... better put away the book and place the pedal to the metal...

20201221_114824.thumb.jpg.5887e9c7c73be6ab24a2208cbd9d6872.jpg

Leading that LP, Armel should have decent seas and can hopefully kick out a couple of 500+ nm runs. Impressive VMG at the moment.

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, ant1 said:

There was no Vendee Live EN today ? Whats wrong?

Found it on dailymotion, they forgot to post it on youtube I guess

They probably needed to drive more traffic to DM ^_^

--Andi not showing proper respect to sponsors "Louis Burton playing Chicken with the high."

Libby calls for (another) Carols at Christmas raft-up with some of the fleet.

Liked Pip's answer about giving a 15 nm margin of error to the ice gate, and her benchmarking Medallia against Ellen MacArthur's boat. No mention, though, of her snorkel fix.

Weather routing for Yannick staying south quite different from northern option shown in Hitch's. Good comment about sea state models.

(Aside: Libby must be Remembering Fish)

Yup, good Live. Thanks for posting.

Pip's snorkel problem

Later today I will be gybing onto Stbd for the final run along the top of the ice limit and the passing of my second Cape Leeuwin tomorrow. I've been looking at the sea that has built up behind me and have some concerns over those first few hours on stbd. Three days ago gybing on to stbd brought me a whole world of leaks and pain. It was a low point for me as no one wants to watch their boat filling up with water. Since then I have been working pretty hard to address all those issues, the most notable of which was the forward ballast breathers which were back filling the tanks without me realising and causing Medallia to nose dive badly in the cross seas when on stbd, which in turn was diverting huge volumes of water into the cockpit and feeding the leaks. The breathers are now plugged and I've had 48 hours of wet sailing to test the fix - all seems to be good.  The leaks I hope are filled and I've modified my conservatory slightly to try and keep the worst of the water out but I am still nervous about life after my gybe.  The sea state is going to be horrible and it just makes everything hard.

So maybe Respect is the right song for the morning... although chain of fools is a little way down the playlist too.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/21164/pip-and-aretha-are-in-harmony-on-medallia

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Varan said:

Yikes, big purple blob a coming... better put away the book and place the pedal to the metal...

20201221_114824.thumb.jpg.5887e9c7c73be6ab24a2208cbd9d6872.jpg

Leading that LP, Armel should have decent seas and can hopefully kick out a couple of 500+ nm runs. Impressive VMG at the moment.

Tripon , go go!!

Vendee Globe: Sam Manuard on the new L'Occitane en Provence IMOCA 60 |  Yacht Racing Life

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, stief said:

Haha. It's 'up' now, but "Video unavailable. This video contains content from Muyap and WMG, one or more of whom have blocked it on copyright grounds."

Pip's Aretha Franklin song  is to blame :D

Wow... unbelievable...

9 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

I hope he has a really well connected team at home and they have started making phone calls.  Depending on which state he goes to, he is likely to find himself shoved in a quarantine hotel for 14 days (despite having been alone at sea for over a month) and paying the bill.