And there I was, looking for a way to cleanse my soul from the battles I saw over in Coronanarchy, looking for a place to dream about racing the oceans.

And look what mess I found...

• Like 1
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Matagi said:

And there I was, looking for a way to cleanse my soul from the battles I saw over in Coronanarchy, looking for a place to dream about racing the oceans.

This is an aberration. It's not usually like this over here in OA; only usually when unmentionable shows up. I briefly visited AC Anarchy earlier

24 minutes ago, Matagi said:

; I forgot how ugly it is over there!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, littlechay said:

No I mean that the wealthy few percent of the population can stop eating fucking sushi, and farmed salmon, and then the ultra wealthy guys will have no need to rape the base to the food chain.. the sardines, anchovies and krill .. 

The ultra wealthy control what the few percent think and eat, using 'influencers' and "news' that is just infomercials, facebook, twitter that is really a virtual shopping mall. They pay people like Jack to post 'sustainable' shit and make videos about tuna cowbows that are just ads for non-sustainable tuna to make the guy ultra rich!.

What about that do you not understand?

2 hours ago, littlechay said:

This is true.. but the wealthy prefer to eat tuna rather than anchovies and sardines, only the wealthy can save the planet / can afford to save the planet. 

I've just finished reading kim stanley robinson - ministry of the future.  Interesting book,  not sure it holds up as a novel,  but lots of ideas of what we can do

• Like 1

Can someone take the bullshit hijack to another thread...

Meanwhile it looks like there will be a restart for boats 4th-10th and the single figure VMG numbers for the leading trio looks painful

• Like 1

Weather update

First, guys, please start a new thread elsewhere to keep threaddrift and bitch fighting out of this thread. Thank you very, very much! 

Secondly, updated the AEZ and routed towards the virtual WP. This creates not so valid results anymore as it is close and forces boats going not towards Cape Horn. See pics #1 and #2.  

The big current weather picture is in #3. The HP zone is providing a nice ride, but not much winds for the boats in the lead in the coming days. So I routed towards a virtual WP2 nm below Cape Horn using GFS 10 days and the OpenCPN climate plugin. See pic #4 with a 9 to 10 day ride to Cape Horn. OpenCPN climate plugin seems to project nice winds, I'm not sure that will be the case though. So take that ETA to CH with a pinch of salt or two.

Synoptic weather maps are not easy available for this part of the world. The Chilean army provides polar projection maps which I was not able to convert properly to the Mercator projection. Any tips are welcome!

As Bestaven is ahead of Ruyant and Dalin, he has the option according to GFS to head NE to catch a ride on a LP zone. See pic #4 again for routings for Dalin and Ruyant, which are closer to the AEZ compared to Bestaven's route. Enjoying longer the HP.

Pic #5 has the detour for Bestaven with wind and pressure, in order to avoid the projected HP bugging them and catch the LP to the north. See the blue arrow for projected position at Friday 11:00 UTC. It is a risky option though, I see max 40 kts winds but that forecast can be 10 or 20 percent higher at sea in reality. But with big possible gains for Bestaven on both Dalin and Ruyant. As the lateral separation grows significantly. AWA would be very nice for Bestaven too for that LP ride. See pic # 6 for zoom in routing Bestaven and Dalin. 

Now back to your regular programming.

routing table 231220 to virtual wp 150W 53S.png

Top-5 routing to virtual wp 150W 53S.png

ECMWF 231220.jpg

routing Ruyant DAlin 231220.png

Bestaven projection for Friday 1100 UTC.jpg

routing zoom 231220.jpg

routing table 231220 to Cape Horn.png

• Like 10

Everything has been widely studied back in the 70s with the Meadows report and there was an aggiornamento 30 years after.

We can still argue specifically on some matters but the big picture is pretty depressing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/02/limits-to-growth-was-right-new-research-shows-were-nearing-collapse?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Going back to the race, i wonder if Bestaven is going to escape at the front 3, Samuel Manuard in the last tip and shift Podcast described him as a beast, more than ready to push his boat as hard as possible.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

First, guys, please start a new thread elsewhere to keep threaddrift and bitch fighting out of this thread. Thank you very, very much! 

"Anarchy"

noun
  1. a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, littlechay said:

This is true.. but the wealthy prefer to eat tuna rather than anchovies and sardines, only the wealthy can save the planet / can afford to save the planet. 

I would take issue with that.  Once you get to cruise at 43,000ft you’ll know why. 

To whom it may concern, we get it... the world sucks, you hate it, and everyone is an inhumane corporate shill hell bent on destroying the planet... how original. I hope you don't mind us talking about the race while you finish spiting your bile at the world.

2 hours ago, JL92S said:

Meanwhile it looks like there will be a restart for boats 4th-10th and the single figure VMG numbers for the leading trio looks painful

Yes, and 4th on may get wind before the leading trio... but its always better to be in front... we'll see

Its coming back from the rear too, Tripon continues his come back, Cremer and Attanasio are going high to probably try to have better angles when they hit the wind in front of the LP... we'll see that too

Everything seems to be in flux

2 hours ago, Herman said:

They can go here

and riff off this: https://sailinganarchy.com/2012/08/10/plunder-and-thunder-down-under/

or just google https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=sailing+anarchy+tuna+fishery+sustainability&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Herman said:

This creates not so valid results anymore as it is close and forces boats going not towards Cape Horn. See pics #1 and #2.

Makes sense. Also, the DTL and DTF relate to Armel's 2016 track. Currently the leaders are 100nm further south (and 8 days later), so setting the WP at Cape Horn should work better, despite the fuzziness of the models you point out.

697524290_ScreenShot2020-12-23at8_45_17AM.thumb.png.787e49e4fc486ca3bd78816aed042789.png

And Merry Christmas Herman. Hope your grandkiddies (IIRC) enjoy your makings too,

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Herman said:

Pic #5 has the detour for Bestaven with wind and pressure, in order to avoid the projected HP bugging them and catch the LP to the north. See the blue arrow for projected position at Friday 11:00 UTC. It is a risky option though, I see max 40 kts winds but that forecast can be 10 or 20 percent higher at sea in reality. But with big possible gains for Bestaven on both Dalin and Ruyant.

Thanks for that (as ever). So far Yannick has managed to  successfully route through three major holes/traps since Cape Town, so either he's due for some bad cards, or he will continue to beat the odds. The projections you and others provide really highlight his skill. Increasingly impressive, IMHO.

Dalin is impressed too

'Yannick manages his routing perfectly'
“This could be a time we see a barrier drop down in front of us and he gets away or we could all regroup. What I hope is that Yannick doesn't get away too far ahead. He is sailing very, very well and he makes few mistakes, he knows how to go fast with his boat, and you can feel that he is at ease. He has confidence in himself, I wish for him, but I don't want him to get away ahead, despite him deserving it. He is in his place and was able to seize the opportunity when Charlie had to slow down. He knew how to come back; he knew how to take advantage of our small problems and is managing his course and the lead really well. For the time being, he is doing a perfect course. I'm trying to hang on, I'm not going to let go, I'm ready to pounce and hope to keep close.”

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/21220/ruyant-the-big-question-is-is-the-high-pressure-going-to-be-fast-enough-to-catch-yannick

• Like 1
Image may contain: one or more people, night, camera and closeup

Armel joined by the organization of the this morning:
′′ I slept good last night and I'm going to sleep good tonight too because the sea is flat. Conditions are really nice. For the first time in 3 weeks, the sea is flat and the boat slows down a little. No more noise, it's relaxing. It's a transition phase, it'll last about 12 hours, I'll be able to take advantage of it to craft.
I was forward from the front, the sea was in a good way, I was able to speed up. The boat was leaving in ruades at over 27-28 knots, had to calm it down all the time. We need to bridle him or else he gets excited. I think it's strong, it's true that I feel like I'm doing it bad sometimes because it's grinding. I find it sturdy, I go around regularly to check and for now nothing moves. What I wanted was to have a 100 % boat at Cape Horn, I keep cleaning the frame.
It's a comfortable boat at sea, it's noisy, but it's the case for all today. You have to learn to deal with it quickly because it can be problematic to rest. You have to learn to recognize your noises. Some stay, some appear. He's a good road mate, he's a player, causing, we understand it quite quickly, it's nice.
The nicest thing is doubling the boats! It's a good transition, there, with a package that will slow down. I'm picking up boats. There are small improvements, as always, but overall the boat is super well designed in terms of ergonomics and ease of maneuvers. I'm always within reach of a handrail, it's great for safety.
The day is declining and I'm going to go prepare a veil from before, a J0, a veil from carrying head, because it softens; then I'll go to dinner. Then it will be a night of card with quite a sleep if there aren't too many wind changes. The J0 is a veil to do everything, it's pretty practical. There are two essential sails on these boats, J0 and FRO. With these two sails, you can almost do the whole South. There's also the A 7, but it's a bit missed on this boat, we didn't have time to develop it.
  • Like 5
11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

He really needs some luck ASAP to get rid of that 300 delta otherwise the probability of them getting a jump increases.

Not too bad as you give him another 12 hr to get past HP. The bigger problem is oncoming next HPs.

Now 200nm gap and 12hr+ weather. Armel liking the missus and is ready to push her hard! Whip, whip!

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 1

Notes from today's EN Live with Yoann Richomme

--"What's the outcome going to be?" Yannick to break away; others to get stuck.

--1000's of miles and days apart . . . this is amazing  [really? for a VG, maybe]

--Herrmann deciding how to get through the HP. Light air humour. 

--Charlie Dalin's take, subtitled. ETA Les Sables in July/ August humour.

--"it's a race where we cannot see the potential of the leaders"

--And for Varan and the Armel fans, in English. "A new race" in an "amazing boat. I'm a lucky guy." Followed by Richomme's comments.

aside. The more I listen to Richomme, the more I grit my teeth. Need to up my 'arrogant' filter.

--Destremau update. Limping and lucky, but likely game over. "Need luck" in Hope Bay. Again.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, oioi said:

I've just finished reading kim stanley robinson - ministry of the future.  Interesting book,  not sure it holds up as a novel,  but lots of ideas of what we can do

Aside. Thanks for the heads-up, though his Mars series was a bit of a slog. Downloaded and on hold.  Didn't know it's part of a new sub-genre--"cli-fi" ;) 

1 hour ago, troll99 said:

The J0 is a veil to do everything, it's pretty practical. There are two essential sails on these boats, J0 and FRO. With these two sails, you can almost do the whole South. There's also the A 7, but it's a bit missed on this boat, we didn't have time to develop it.

had to google about sails to refresh my memory. 

– A Mainsail

– An obligatory storm Jib 20 m2 minimum

– J3: Heavy air upwind sail/gennaker staysail off the wind

– J2: Upwind and close-reaching sail used from 12 knots upwards

– FRO: upwind sailing in light airs and reaching all the way to downwind in heavy air

– J0: Masthead Gennaker (190 m2 flat sail) for light airs and reaching

– A7: Fractional reaching and downwind reaching Gennaker in strong winds

– A3: large Gennaker of around 300 m2 for downwind sailing up to 25 knots

The pic from VO65

1-NS_VOR_Sail_Inventory_web_1600x900_9.12.17.jpg

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, troll99 said:

nice!

I remember it was a nice presentation of Corum sails but I couldn't find it. Or it was the other team.

Not sure what other team you mean, but. . . Corum and Costa sound almost similar?

20 hours ago, HeartOfGold said:

I don't think this article on Didac Costa's sails has been posted yet. :)

Who would have guessed 4th-9th would be separated by less than 35nm (2 hours at speed) after passing the halfway point?  Far, far more interesting than whatever the WTF I just had to scroll through to find other comments about the race.  I find I only check in to this thread once or twice a day for a few minutes now.  Don't have the time or interest to scroll through pages of random bullshit.  

I thought Isa might get past Damien on this last update.  Instead Damien jumps all the way to 4th!  But Isa now ahead of JLC.  Who would have thunk it?

• Like 6
5 hours ago, hasmat said:

I would take issue with that.  Once you get to cruise at 43,000ft you’ll know why. 

Only the wealthy can cruise at 43,000ft... I rest my case. You clearly do not understand wealth

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ant1 said:

It is tightening up in front, its fascinating to see the positioning and waiting game behind the HP...

You could talk about a race if you had anything useful and constructive to say, buy as you don't ... sod off. 

6 hours ago, sidmon said:

"Anarchy"

noun
  1. a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.

And you are not a voice of authority.. so Fuck off..  You are on ignore.. I accidentally saw your post as I wasn't logged in... Learn how to use the ignore button if you don't want to see the interesting asides when the racing is boring...  

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, littlechay said:

And you are not a voice of authority.. so Fuck off..  You are on ignore.. I accidentally saw your post as I wasn't logged in... Learn how to use the ignore button if you don't want to see the interesting asides when the racing is boring...  

Triggered much?

Your grandiloquence is getting in the way of comprehension.

Made the same point.

This is Anarchy!

Some folks (you) forget the essence of this venue.

Merry Christmas.

• Downvote 1
7 hours ago, Herman said:

Bestaven projection for Friday 1100 UTC.jpg

I would not like to be there at the tip of that arrow. Way too much compression on the isobars. It might not behave as predicted so wouldn't want to cut it so close. As you say very risky tactic.

Having said that GFS usually overestimates this stuff a few days out and moderates as the time gets closer. 

BTW piss off with the thread police stuff. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ant1 said:

To whom it may concern, we get it... the world sucks, you hate it, and everyone is an inhumane corporate shill hell bent on destroying the planet... how original. I hope you don't mind us talking about the race while you finish spiting your bile at the world.

you know you're sort of a dumbfuck when you bitch about the relevant grievances from those expressing concern for the planet... how fkn' original. 

now back to your little yacht race, the one you ain't in, maybe you could even study herman's pretty pictures.

1 hour ago, littlechay said:

aren't you both on the same page? that's how I understood sidmon's post

just saying...

• Like 1

Anyway...

Imho from all the interviews and articles linked to here, its interesting to hear the abundant talk about prospective boat designs from sailors (who are not in this race but sure hope to be in the next one), and architects this time around... no one doubts the foilers potential in their ideal conditions but a lot of them seem to be asking themselves how to now get the same potential in less ideal conditions, like they are seeing in this year's VG, and opening a lot of avenues for exploration. L'Occitane's "scow" design generates a lot of talk. It's very different from the general validation enthusiasm around foilers I remember after the 2016 race, when the conditions were pretty much ideal ( both the VG and Jules Verne records were beaten that year) and were maybe taken for granted.

It makes me think of the tic-toc development model of intel microprocessors (innovation-optimization), over a much longer period, 4 years between the tick tocs... not the same resources and budgets of course...

The "lessons" skippers and architects take away from this edition will be interesting to read if they share them. Maybe it will be "all is fine, just make it stronger", maybe it will be more creative... we'll see.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Anyway...

Imho from all the interviews and articles linked to here, its interesting to hear the abundant talk about prospective boat designs from sailors (who are not in this race but sure hope to be in the next one), and architects this time around... no one doubts the foilers potential in their ideal conditions but a lot of them seem to be asking themselves how to now get the same potential in less ideal conditions, like they are seeing in this year's VG, and opening a lot of avenues for exploration. L'Occitane's "scow" design generates a lot of talk. It's very different from the general validation enthusiasm around foilers I remember after the 2016 race, when the conditions were pretty much ideal ( both the VG and Jules Verne records were beaten that year) and were maybe taken for granted.

It makes me think of the tic-toc development model of intel microprocessors (innovation-optimization), over a much longer period, 4 years between the tick tocs... not the same resources and budgets of course...

The "lessons" skippers and architects take away from this edition will be interesting to read if they share them. Maybe it will be "all is fine, just make it stronger", maybe it will be more creative... we'll see.

anyway... tictok and microprocessors. just fkn' with you.

1 hour ago, 3to1 said:

you know you're sort of a dumbfuck when you bitch about the relevant grievances from those expressing concern for the oceans and planet... how original.

now back to your little yacht race, the one you ain't in.

Sigh... not bitching about those expressing concern for the oceans and the planet (I think very few people are completely not concerned for the oceans and the planet). Sorry if you thought that was the gist of my reaction... which I'd have been smart to not even make.

I am bitching about those that throw the fishing industry under the bus, which makes no sense. If there's one industry (at least in the west) that has been very keenly aware of the environmental challenges of managing ocean resources its the fishing industry, it took some time decades ago, but for years now they have been working very closely with scientists (at least in france) to monitor and understand the resources, to better tailor sustainable quotas and fishing periods. Fisherman are very aware that is the only way to sustain their livelihood and way of life. One thing that hasn't changed is that fishing is often a tough job, even today.

No prob... :)

I miss some of the charts that were available in the last VOR. Here's the ranking over time. I hope it's big enough, never posted here. If it is,    you can see AT dropping from top to midrank to retirement, Tripon and Charal catching up and the many changes of ranking in the "peloton", positions 4-10 more or less

image.thumb.png.bc583a55776c20aecd2ed1d474ca5843.png

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, hydrobalus said:

I miss some of the charts that were available in the last VOR. Here's the ranking over time. I hope it's big enough, never posted here. If it is,    you can see AT dropping from top to midrank to retirement, Tripon and Charal catching up and the many changes of ranking in the "peloton", positions 4-10 more or less

image.thumb.png.bc583a55776c20aecd2ed1d474ca5843.png

You've got 2 Alex Thompson

10 minutes ago, hydrobalus said:

Excellent observation Bebmoumoute! And how does AT skipper both? I know it's a shorthanded race, but two boats to one person, that's a bit much.  Anyway, both are retired.

Or you can get it already done for you here...

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub/race/

On the right side of the chart, you click on the bottom icon, the one that looks like a graph with a curve.

On the top of the display area, you have three buttons, Distance to Leader, Speed and rank. And you can chose from the list of boats on the left, which ones you want to see.

You're welcome.

• Like 1

Thanks Herman. In addition to Bestoven's impressive move to the fore, I think Maxime Sorel in green has been doing a remakable job of making up spots and now closing on the following pack as they compress.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.26.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.28.39 PM.png

22 hours ago, staysail said:

This nanny-state ice limit sure has made this part of the race boring! Last time I saw a decent iceberg photo from a competitor was back in the 2008/9 edition when folk had more freedom to choose their preferred route.

You know who you are.

If you follow this race at all and have any knowledge about its history you must know about the many totally unpredictable but very serious risks a skipper must accept over which he/she has no control, yet you, if you downvote this post, presumably feel that same skipper must be prevented from evaluating for himself or herself, the risk of colliding with ice, when every year better and better information is available about where there is iceberg risk, and in previous editions ice limits were either non-existent of less restrictive. The present ice line is heavily distorting race tactics and I found it more interesting before.
I can understand if a person has a different viewpoint from mine and wants to express a different opinion but I fail to understand the mentality of someone who downvotes this post and makes no comment.

What do you hope to achieve?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

What makes this race boring is not having a live tracker. With a live tracker, even drifters can become compelling.

As it is, there's lots to grab interest. Georgia Island can be interesting. Models can be interesting. Ugly bows, even. Toothless wonders. etc.

Big difference between "The race is boring" or  "I am bored by the race." Easy choice. 

• Like 3

Oops. Forgot the links to stuff found to be interesting, thanks to following the race here. Link dump.

-Tracy Edwards MBE liked this. The missus grudgingly agreed. Yay--need to find more tear-jerkers.

--The Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) now covers 100% of the globe with real-time satellite connectivity for the first time Huh? First time? Reading further, looks like it's about the time it takes to get to the rescue centers,

--sustainable French fisheries. No mention of Europe fishing out the Grand banks, though.

-Snowflakes. There's enough here often enough. 

GrosJean. One of the sailors/their team account used this image about the time of Kevin's rescue. Still trying to remember who.

Graindesail1. The link led a to a departure vid, show the diesel spewing leaving France, of course

MichD on making the VR VG more interesting. Throw some whales in the way of the VR boats.

And many more . . like tits

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Thanks Herman. In addition to Bestoven's impressive move to the fore, I think Maxime Sorel in green has been doing a remakable job of making up spots and now closing on the following pack as they compress.

Looks like Maxime is enjoying himself and some nice chocolates for the holidays. 

• Like 3

Hermann and JLC having Christmas fun. 

Boris sees Jean Le Cam on AIS and they share a christmas dance

© Boris Herrmann / Seaexplorer - YC de Monaco 

Article

"I see jean le roi on the ais. We make the Christmas dance together. Hold the sails to the right and see if they fill. To the left. We turn the boat and try again. And some moments I am just happy when the sails don’t flap too much. The flapping could damage and fatigue the sails and batten system. Growing swell makes it violent. 

But then 2 knots and new silence ... deep breath and exhale. I am so tired at this point that it seems like an unreal dream. Sometimes I sense amazing intense smell of the sea. As if a whale exhaled. 

Doubts and hopes chatter in a far distant corner of my mind. wonder and silence dominate. 

Such a reunion of half the fleet has never happened in vendee history [arguable]. And the dices are still spinning on the table. It may be quite a while till we draw a line under this episode and count the gains and losses. 

4 days ago I shared the screen shot of my pacific routing statistic and deviated this the perfect reason to do the vendee. Great stable wind from behind. Amazing how wrong this outlook was

I love having someone on ais. Makes it so more natural. U see even the king is going through exactly the same struggle and each pirouette. I cat nap now a bit through the morning.  Steering with compas mode (as wind angle mode can’t cope with the swell and the only 2 knots of wind we have) and adjusting the course by eye and hand every 5 - 10 mns. Calms are always the hardest. And when I feel better rested later I will try to chat with jean on vhf. 

I remember a day in 2010 we spend together in his house. It’s full of books and we share a special interest in coffee and coffee machines. He gave me one back then. With a hand pump.”

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/21225/ghosting-into-christmas-present-memories-of-christmas-past-in-the-pacific

• Like 5
2 hours ago, stief said:

Thanks Hitch.  10hrs? Curious what changed from Herman's 28 hr delta (IIRC) when he ran it 12 or more  hrs ago. Guessing the 12 hrs and perhaps a different model most likely.

I only run the GFS model.  Mainly because I am far more lazy than @Herman! I don't have 4 hours to spend and his detail is really quite staggering, whereas I am only doing broad strokes routing. 

Certainly not the way I would do it in pre-race prep and in race nav.  This is all just for fun. 

And to clog up the thread for @Roleur so he has to dredge though more dross!

• Like 3
On 12/21/2020 at 3:52 AM, staysail said:

Yes, normal behavior is a polite request and an immediate hospitable welcome and advice as to a sensible place to anchor.

I'm a few days behind in reading this, so it could have been addressed already.  But anchoring is avoided as much as possible by the sailors themselves.  Dragging an anchor and warp, capable of safely holding a 60' IMOCA, from below, deploying it, setting it (IIRC Bernard Stamm was disqualified from an earlier VG because he received assistance saving his boat when the anchor dragged), then retrieving it without a winch and stowing it again, all solo, is an enormous expenditure of effort.

Apart from that, this is the Australian Government they are dealing with, and [purp]they don't like people arriving by boats without following the correct channels!  [/purp]

• Like 2
12 hours ago, troll99 said:

The pic from VO65

1-NS_VOR_Sail_Inventory_web_1600x900_9.12.17.jpg

Why is it in that order? I guess "MH0" and "FR0" mean "code 0", no? And the J ones are "jibs". And the "A3" is "asym" and I guess lower numbers would be fuller, but they didn't need those on the VO65.

8 hours ago, edelweis said:

Thanks much for posting this Cite. The photographs by the RAF were superb. Most interesting was the the statement that, in addition to the threats (noted earlier BY ME IN ANOTHER THREAD DRIFT)to penguins nesting on shore South Georgia Island and the pelagic at sea that feed on the krill offshore with the A68 bottoming out , the iceberg is shedding off freshwater at the average melting rate of 2.5cm/day,  and over the course will shed the equivalent of 12 times the outflow of the Thames. 

7 hours ago, ant1 said:

Sigh... not bitching about those expressing concern for the oceans and the planet (I think very few people are completely not concerned for the oceans and the planet). Sorry if you thought that was the gist of my reaction... which I'd have been smart to not even make.

I am bitching about those that throw the fishing industry under the bus, which makes no sense. If there's one industry (at least in the west) that has been very keenly aware of the environmental challenges of managing ocean resources its the fishing industry, it took some time decades ago, but for years now they have been working very closely with scientists (at least in france) to monitor and understand the resources, to better tailor sustainable quotas and fishing periods. Fisherman are very aware that is the only way to sustain their livelihood and way of life. One thing that hasn't changed is that fishing is often a tough job, even today.

No prob... :)

You must be living in an alternate universe. Goops, no, you live in France, al alternate fishing reality. In fact, there are fishermen all over the world who have consistently, repeat4dly fished out species even though it meant the ultimate end of their livelihood. Why? Because, like many politicians, they are only thinking about today, or the immediate tomorrow. A crude but personal example is a sadly not uncommon one. I was scuba diving with a dive guide, who was Australian, at about 60 feet on a reef in Rabaul, PNC, when suddenly KABOOM! I thought my eardrums were blowing out. It was a very loud sound, and the surrounding water pulsated. My guide and I looked at 4ach other and he, nodding, used his hands to make the universal "had slowly to the surface" signs. Once there, I said, probably, "what the fuck was that? and he said, motioning to  a flat metal boat nearby with an outboard motor, "they are dynamiting the reef for fish." We had the well- recognized, and particularly in that  popular dive area, red divers flag bogging on the surface. Nevertheless, it had been "bombs away." Notwitstanding the fact that such actions would not only destroy part of the reef, a well as many of the fish in th area they may have intended to catch. and it would drive away income from divers and fishermen from the area, the practice continued. 

6 hours ago, staysail said:

You know who you are.

If you follow this race at all and have any knowledge about its history you must know about the many totally unpredictable but very serious risks a skipper must accept over which he/she has no control, yet you, if you downvote this post, presumably feel that same skipper must be prevented from evaluating for himself or herself, the risk of colliding with ice, when every year better and better information is available about where there is iceberg risk, and in previous editions ice limits were either non-existent of less restrictive. The present ice line is heavily distorting race tactics and I found it more interesting before.
I can understand if a person has a different viewpoint from mine and wants to express a different opinion but I fail to understand the mentality of someone who downvotes this post and makes no comment.

What do you hope to achieve?

Do you seriously give a shit about "down votes"? Are you putting you posts on your resume with a tabulation of your "Likes"? Some of you don't have enough to do if you care, and keep track, of this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
9 hours ago, stief said:

What makes this race boring is not having a live tracker. With a live tracker, even drifters can become compelling.

As it is, there's lots to grab interest. Georgia Island can be interesting. Models can be interesting. Ugly bows, even. Toothless wonders. etc.

Big difference between "The race is boring" or  "I am bored by the race." Easy choice. 

You Probably already know this, as it has been posted here.

Just in case, here the link to the Marine Traffic website: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-158.3/centery:-54.1/zoom:6

There is no data, but updates are much more frequent, I find it useful to follow the race and, you say, it makes it more interesting

EDIT: I'm a 'Member' now! This is going to be a great Christmas ;)

3 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Do you seriously give a shit about "down votes"? Are you putting you posts on your resume with a tabulation of your "Likes"? Some of you don't have enough to do if you care, and keep track, of this stuff.

Ha Ha! Likes? No.
Its the down-votes which are far more fun. Communicating with "environmentalists", especially the well-off, entitled, virtue signalling ones, is like stirring up a bunch of rattlesnakes with a long stick. Its the down-vote button that gives them away. Can you imagine an Anarchist using a down-vote button!
You seem to be a prime example; was it not you boasting about scuba diving, 40 years, all over the world? Forgive me if I assume you used fossil fuels for your travel, and if I assume your dive compressors were not solar powered, or that  dive boat might not have been powered entirely by flax sails.
The guy with his stick of dynamite is probably poor and, if indeed I did care about "the planet", probably does less damage than you and I think its funny if you got frightened. A kid who doesn't like someone else playing in his sand pit.

To all you losers ashore and afloat (well, 32 + 1 lucky loser afloat)

Merry Christmas. Hope your WIFI can handle the virtual get-togethers.

As Douglas Coupland, author of Generation X, said:

"A plague without wifi would be truly horrible."

7 hours ago, Snowden said:

I hope Louis Burton is confident in his repairs. He is about to get 35 knots fwd of the beam with no room under his lee to the ice gate.

Wouldn't want to be in his position right now, but not much he can do about it.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Looks like Maxime is enjoying himself and some nice chocolates for the holidays. 

He has an impish quality about him

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Snowden said:

I hope Louis Burton is confident in his repairs. He is about to get 35 knots fwd of the beam with no room under his lee to the ice gate.

27 minutes ago, Haji said:

Wouldn't want to be in his position right now, but not much he can do about it.

The guy has balls of titanium... One cannot deny that.

Already, South of Cape of Good Hope, he was the one going the further South, not hesitating to get in the heavy stuff to go fast. At some point, he contacts his wife who is also his team manager and ask her "if I fuck it up completely, will you still love me?" (she related that in one of the French version daily broadcast IIRC). He gets to second position in the ranking. But then gear failure impairs his performance; some of his staysail are no longer usable; he cannot raise the main above 1st reef, then 2nd reef. He "stops" i.e. heave to, behind Macquarie Island and climbs in his mast twice, including once by night; and repairs (enough) of his boat to get back in the game. And goes pedal to the metal...

Looking at the weather, he knows that this is his chance, maybe his last chance, to join the "chasing seven" (Boris, Jean, Benjamin, Damien, Isabelle, Giancarlo, Maxime). If not now, then he will be a weather system apart by the time they get to Cape Horn.

So put more coal in the engine and full steam ahead.

Did I say that the guy got balls???

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Laurent said:

But then gear failure impairs his performance; some of his staysail are no longer usable; he cannot raise the main above 1st reef, then 2nd reef.

And he still has issues, apparently:

at least everything works on board. I can use my mainsail despite not being able fully tension it. It is just the angle of heel sensor doesn't work...".

Wishing him the best.