dinghy sailing in Hamburg (Germany)?

simone77

could be moving soon to Hamburg, and having to decide if I bring my 29er & foiling moth along. I am looking at what options exist to sail/park a dinghy.

Anybody has any experience/tips/advice/contacts/links...  with sailing within the city (Alster, Elbe) or in the surroundings (Kiel,???...)

the two clubs on the Alster seem more "yacht club" type with co-optation required...

Sailing on the Elbe seems a bit of a life hazard (between tides & big ships/ferry traffic)

and I better don't check the water temperature ;-)

I don't live and sail in Hamburg and my local knowledge Is very limited therfore there's not much I can offer. I would probably look into the www.bsc-hamburg.de first because of the limited space on the Alster and, more importantly, the people I've met from the bsc. They have an active dinghy fleet.

However, yes, the Elbe holds hazards, tides, shoals and launching at the bsc you must cross a very busy shipping lane. If you're still figuring out the moth that's probably not ideal.

Kiel and other places on the Baltic are only a one hour drive. Plus there several lakes within that distance.

Best idea would probably be to talk to the local mothies via the class ass.

My daughter and SIL live in Hamburg, and she has sailed there.  On the Ausser Alster, there is a good-sized Dragon fleet.  I think they also sail Portsmouth/PHRF, as I recall seeing a J-24 racing as well.  It's a biggish lake, could be a lot of fun.

I cannot imagine sailing on the Elbe.  Then again, I've only really been down to the main harbor in Hamburg.

Kiel is where sailing is at (as I understand it) in Germany.  Bring your foulies, because even in Summer the wind can be cold.

Hope that helps.

Why not check out the German 29er Association site? https://29erkv.de   It should help show you where the boats are.  It also looks like they have an active group that moves around to regattas quite a bit. 

You could sail on the Elbe river at the “Mühlenberger Loch” which is a huge shallow area opposite of BSC. The commercial ships will not go there, but you need to cross the main shipping lines that are used by the biggest container ships worldwide. And you need high water to not get stuck…

Maybe not the perfect sailing waters for very week, but you should at least do the “Letzte Helden” regatta (“last heroes”).

Alternatives are the Alster lake (right in the middle of the town, very shifty wind due to close tall buildings), Oortkaten See (in the East of Hamburg), Wittensee (about 1 h by car North of Hamburg, but big, deep, clean water and decent wind due to being close to the North Sea) and Ratzeburger See.

Thanks for all the feedback, I did figure out already the BSC but was a bit taken aback by the shipping crossing and tides. I am a decent sailor, but a moth is a fragile boat, and breaking something in front of a 500'000t cargo is not the best way to spend a week end ☺️

Regarding the Alster, my point was more practical: how do you subscribe to HSC and can you hope to get a place to store a dinghy there? Space seems limited, and the club requires 2 other long standing members to recommend you.... it is really the kind of things that puts me off to have to beg to go sailing, but maybe it is a wrong impression?

Or if that is no go, are there any slips that can be used on an occasional basis to put a dinghy in the water? If so where? 

Re. Dragons and 505s, no offense intended, but not really my thing

On0/Dogballs/2019 at 10:04 PM, Der_Dude said:

Kiel and other places on the Baltic are only a one hour drive. Plus there several lakes within that distance.

Best idea would probably be to talk to the local mothies via the class ass.

Many thanks. Kiel I knew. However can you point me in the right direction for the lakes? Which one(s) are you referring to?

15 hours ago, simone77 said:

Regarding the Alster, my point was more practical: how do you subscribe to HSC and can you hope to get a place to store a dinghy there? Space seems limited, and the club requires 2 other long standing members to recommend you.... it is really the kind of things that puts me off to have to beg to go sailing, but maybe it is a wrong impression?

Sailors are notoriously unfriendly to other sailors - refusing to help them for any reason on or off the water. They never spend any time socializing to discuss the subject or want to meet others. Sailors especially avoid social media, which is why this site is not providing any suggestions regarding this question about a fairly arcane topic (sailing options for two specific, highly technical dinghies in a mid-sized city in northern Germany).  That is why it will be impossible to find anyone in Hamburg who might want to help you get into the HSC. There is obviously no German 29er sailor who belongs to the HSC. Even if there were, they would not want to increase the size of their fleet because they are so unfriendly. (see first sentence) Besides that, the club is oversubscribed by 500 and is looking for excuses to expel more than half the members because the sport of sailing is burgeoning, worldwide. (That is why the Olympics is increasing the numbers of sailing events.)  If you are moving to a new location it would be better to go with a positive attitude. 

BTW, the HSC has a 29er training scheduled in November:  https://hamburger-segel-club.de/?s=29er&submit=Suche   

Transporting boats transatlantic is expensive, so it does make sense to find out more before showing up with two boats.  It would seem that the HSC would be a good place to start.  

16 hours ago, simone77 said:

...and the club requires 2 other long standing members to recommend you...

I can't speak for the HSC specifically, but I have known clubs with such rules on their rule book from the past where the current protocol is to ask the secretary to find two such people for you. 

23 hours ago, simone77 said:

Many thanks. Kiel I knew. However can you point me in the right direction for the lakes? Which one(s) are you referring to?

You should talk to your preferred class association, because they will know where the conditions are worth the drive. Plus you might want some company. Germans tend to be organized.

As mentioned above, there's the Ratzeburger See and the Wittensee.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:02 AM, simone77 said:

If you like to join some local foiling mothies I would recommend lake Ratzeburg east of Hamburg. Pm me for contact details. The lake would be OK for a 29er as well. I would neither recommend the Alster nor the Elbe for foiling around. Alster is rather gusty and Elbe might prove a bit dangerous on the moth.

I recall one girl in a foiling Moth being member of the NRV (located north of the Kennedy Bridge), though I don't know where she stores her boat.

There's a camping site in Buchholz with a small club adjoining, mostly dinghys. Site closes down end of October each year, so sailing in winter might be difficult, but the locals will know best, I assume. Happy to put you in touch.

Archived