Yes all about to change here in Malta. At the YC waiting for Rambler to finish. 

Have been putting up daily recaps/reports, yesterday's while sailing myself - been a bit of a wait ;) 

4 hours ago, jackolantern said:

I seriously need someone to explain to me how a boat which sails that fast rates so slowly

I will explain it seriously to you, if you like.

Géry knows how to pick a good boat, how to optimize it rating and sailing wise, how to pick a good crew and keep them together and motivated, how to navigate, and most of all, how to fight. Besides he's got a bit of experience, and despite his age still is a much tougher Cookie than most of you suckers.

And a very nice and modest guy too, as you can see in above video.

• Like 2

Fiji nailed it.......

It is not just the design, Gery works with the designers and develops a plan then goes to the sailmakers with a plan which changes after his blue printing the keel /rudders /hull, toe in of rudders and hull optimisation at measurement points ....he sometimes changes the rig , no. of spreaders then maybe a couple of recuts of sails then races with them all the whole time looking at the rating measurements of the hull/ rig balance [take a hit with sail area for better numbers... and will sometimes make new sails..he has a size of boats he likes working with . ...Go up a size and you will see Eric and the Teasing Machine/s .....these guys are doing with production/semi production boats what others with much bigger budget do with brand new designs for full blown brand new formula race boats ...these two  Gery and Eric have people working / sailing with them for years...they are the optimum project managers who like people and the challenge at a cost...and i bet they hardly ever go over budget....But you will never know as they play poker with a poker face on..          although Eric has had the newer/bigger Teasing boats custom built in recent times but all to the optimisation plan..  and They see the numbers ....maybe synaesthesia .  

• Like 1

The 1180s are just at home sailing offshore but it seems that the switch to a long bowsprit and asymmetric only setup has helped both boats. They’re not perfect, the 1180 Yes! in the UK hasn’t had the same dominating performance as previous boats. On an inshore course these boats, with their short rigs suffer and that’s where I think the irc performance balances out. Unless it’s blowing like hell and there’s seemingly no gap in performance whatsoever...

Sunrise was hardly on "one of her first races".... Tom has had her for a while, replaced his JPK 10,80. He has got better and better at putting the right crew together.

2 hours ago, cms said:

Sunrise was hardly on "one of her first races".... Tom has had her for a while, replaced his JPK 10,80. He has got better and better at putting the right crew together.

Don’t forget a couple of VOR sailors onboard too...

10 hours ago, jackolantern said:

That accounts for the fact that they won, but then in one of their first races the sunrise people nailed 2nd as well. The JPK design seems to know where to find all the loopholes in IRC...

JPK is a very good yard w/ a lot of community/owner feedback/optimization and hasn't done anything extreme with their boats that the IRC punishes. A lot of boats are faster in different conditions, but most pay the penalty in rating or suffer unbalanced performance in differing conditions. 

I don't see it as loophole but "not being stupid"

I see the Maltese First 45 Elusive is now showing as overall winner after RDG. No news that I can see about what the redress is about.