Brest Atlantiques 2019

jb5

https://www.brestatlantiques.com/

Starts Nov 3rd.

On November 3, 2019 at 13:02, "Brest Atlantiques" will start with The 4 Ultims (32/23 class) for a triangular course of 14,000 nautical miles on the North and South Atlantic

Yves Le Blevec's Actual Leader

François Gabart's Trimaran MACIF

Maxi Edmond de Rothschild by Franck Cammas and Charles Caudrelier

Sodebo Ultim 3 by Thomas Coville.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pop-up toaster sounds like that. Drives me nuts!

This machine is like an, H. G. Wells tripod monster, from outer space. What a beast.

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/10/gitana-17-brest-franck-cammas-charles-caudrelier-depart-trimaran.html#.XbGaHD7Yo3E

In French, rough translation below

Gitana 17 headed to Brest with Cammas and Caudrelier for the Brest Atlantiques: "This race, we have been waiting for 6 months"

Maxi Edmond de Rothschild left his base in Lorient to reach Brest, before the departure scheduled for Sunday, November 3 at 13:02. For the skippers, Franck Cammas and Charles Caudrelier, the ferry is the last step before the start of the competition, the last navigation before the 14,000 nautical miles of Brest Atlantiques. "It's not a sprint, 30 days is a long distance race but at high speeds."

gitana-baca019845be402f80c100270cd2bfff.jpg
credit: Y Riou

Franck Cammas: "the big goal of the year"
For six months and their arrival at the Gitana Team at the helm of Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, the duo Charles Caudrelier - Franck Cammas has left nothing to chance. The learning was intensive. In ten days, they will depart from Brest Atlantiques. This new race reserved for maxi-multihulls will be their first big sporting challenge but also the first big confrontation since the 2018 Route du Rhum.

" We are in the home stretch, with only one navigation scheduled before the start. We went through the things we wanted to put in place for the race and now all the details are left. 

This race has been waiting for six months, this is our first major sporting event as skippers Edmond de Rothschild and this is the big goal of the year so obviously there is a little impatience to 10 days of departure. Our technical strategy of the year was built around our participation in Brest Atlantiques. With Charles, there is waiting, we want to do things sporting and technically "assured Franck Cammas.

Appeals Chamber
From tomorrow in Brest, it is a well-known period of sailors that starts; a pre-start phase where the training sessions on the water leave room for the weather preparation on the ground in anticipation of the day. Everyone manages these last days in his own way and in the duo Edmond de Rothschild, Franck Cammas and Charles Caudrelier do not have the same vision of this period in "call room".

" I do not particularly like the pre-start days because we are not in the action and we can lose a lot of energy watching the weather and planning scenarios while on the race itself I am in my element with the competition around which energizes. 

As a result, we are driving for Brest tomorrow and after, personally, I will leave a few days in the mountains to fill up with 'globules'! It's a habit that I have had for many years, it's beneficial in the preparation and then it allows me to cut away a little from the boat before leaving "confided for his part Franck while Charles confessed rather appreciate them days before casting off:

" It's a period that I like, the intensity goes up, we are in the finishes. When we prepare races like this one, for months it's pretty abstract and for me the arrival on the starting site marks the beginning of the concrete. The stress of the departure arrives later for him, in the last days when the weather is refined, by then I enjoy serenely. "

Ready for a cross-country race
The route of Brest Atlantiques, with its 14,000 nautical miles from the Breton tip to Rio de Janeiro via Cape Town in South Africa before returning to Brest, is a new and demanding course.

" I do not expect an easy race, that's for sure! But with what I have lived in recent years I feel perfectly ready for this type of challenge. With Franck, we trained accordingly. With long formats as will be on Brest Atlantiques is what I am used to for years with the Volvo Ocean Race. After, in multihull flying on this type of route, we have no reference. Of course I have in mind the Transat Jacques Vabre 2013, that we win with Gitana, but the Multi70 was a less 'marine' trimaran and it was only a trip to Brazil."

" The pace will be very important in this race , "recalled Franck Cammas, adding:" Brest Atlantiques it's not a sprint, 30 days is a long distance race but at high speeds. It will need  very quickly find the right tempo, to be in the game but always with the technical and material management. It will take long and in my opinion, leaving too fast will not necessarily be the right option. I believe that after the Route du Rhum, reliability was put at the top of the pile by all teams! "

Source: T Combot Seta

Lots of difference in the ama foils for sure, more C on Actual, less on Sodebo and Edmond, MACIF have what appear to be an S board with narrower angle between the foil and vertical strut (which is more heave stable). I wonder what is better performance wise and where these are headed?

Did they re-use the MACIF ama molds on the new Sodebo?

Sodebo used the ama molds from BP. I seem to remember that BP are using them again as well with the new build. 

Actual should be slower but likely more reliable. May even win it

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/brest-atlantiques-vers-un-report-du-depart-29-10-2019-12421061.php

Delayed departure likely until at least Wednesday.  Guess they learnt from the RdR.

Rough translation

There is very little chance that the departure of the Brest Atlantiques on Sunday, November 3 from Brest. Weather conditions are particularly strong in the Bay of Biscay, Sunday, with 30-40 knots of wind and a sea of 6 to 9 meters. No windows open until Wednesday, November 6th ...

The teams have already met several times on this subject and a decision should be taken quickly. 

More than the wind, it is the state of the sea which poses most of the problem for maxi-trimarans considering the last Route du Rhum the total loss of Banque Populaire, the starboard bow of Gitana 17 and the cracked cross beam on Sodebo.

A small window on Wednesday ...
According to the weather files, no departure is possible before Wednesday, November 6th. And again, if the four giants leave at this time, they will not have to exit in the Bay of Biscay quickly since a new depression, generating winds of 30-40 knots, threatens again to block their way to Cape Finisterre .

The tracker is online :

https://brestatlantiques.geovoile.com/2019/tracker/

And below an interview of Gabart with a long macif sailing video at the end :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/bateau/collectif-ultim/video-embarquez-sur-le-trimaran-macif-ou-francois-gabart-jauge-ses-adversaires-6c00a12c-fa53-11e9-904f-bb565e58a176

He says, that his boat is most probably not the fastest (especially compared to EdR), that Sodebo has a great improvment potential, and then there is the race ..

F'n posted this is the wrong thread. 

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/10/brest-atlantiques-depart-reporte-meteo-ultim-macif-sodebo-gitana-actual.html

Brest Atlantiques postponed due to weather.

"It is not reasonable to launch Ultim under these conditions"

Faced with stormy weather conditions, the organizers of Brest Atlantiques have decided to postpone the departure, originally scheduled for Sunday, November 3 at 13:02. " It is obviously a regret to be forced to postpone the start but it was not possible to do otherwise."

"A strong gale is expected from Friday night and until Sunday afternoon, generating a very large sea in the Bay of Biscay with 8-meter waves, it was not reasonable to launch the" Ultim In these conditions, " said race director Jacques Caraës.

Managing Director of Brest Ultim Sailing, organizer of Brest Atlantiques, Emmanuel Bachellerie adds: "It is obviously a regret to be forced to postpone the departure but it was not possible to do otherwise, its how it is with this sport. Taking the maximum precautions for the safety of the seafarers and the integrity of the boats is the absolute priority.

The new date of this departure will be announced as soon as possible by the organizers, who follow very closely the evolution of the weather: "The first available window will be taken" , concludes Emmanuel Bachellerie.

https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft.com/tip-shaft-184-emmanuel-bachellerie-je-suis-proccup-pas-inquiet-la-transat-jacques-vabre-au-crible-des-routeurs?e=9a497c6fa7

Interview with Emmanuel Bachellerie:

Link in French, rough translation of most of it.

Managing Director of Brest Ultim Sailing , who organizes the race , Emmanuel Bachellerie discusses this postponement, this new test and the future of the class, of which he is also the general delegate.

A word to start on the departure of Brest Atlantiques, where are we on this Friday afternoon?
As you know, we announced Thursday the postponement of the departure which was unanimous among the skippers. With 45-50 knots of wind and 8-10 meters waves in the Bay of Biscay, it was out of the question to jeopardize the safety of the sailors and the integrity of the boats. There is a window that possibly on Tuesday for departure, but it depends on the weather.  If it's not Tuesday, it will probably be a few days later.

Let's go back to the genesis of this race, can you remind us how she was born?
All started from a Route du Rhum 2018 which was rough for the Ultims. Upon arrival at Pointe-à-Pitre, we wondered if we had the means to do a world tour (Brest Oceans ) a little over a year later and perhaps follow a longer learning curve for these boats by first better understanding them and making them more reliable. At the beginning of December 2018, we came to the conclusion that it was more reasonable to postpone Brest Oceans at the end of December 2019. We then turned to the Transat Jacques Vabre and after the organizer's refusal to welcome us, and because that we had agreements with Brest Métropole, the department and the region, we thought about the creation of a race from Brest for these boats, hence Brest Atlantiques.

Was Brest's demand strong?
No, it's not something that has been imposed on us. We told them that we had the opportunity to have a race from Brest asking them if it interested them, they told us that if we had a solution capable of being produced in six and a half months, they would agree.

Without the support of Brest, there would have been nothing, have you considered for a moment a white year 2019?
No, a blank year is not possible . These are projects that are at least amortized over four-year projects, you can not cut the program by 25%, so we immediately thought about an alternative solution to have a major event this year.

Is it complicated to organize when some of the shareholders of the organizing company, Brest Ultim Sailing, are boat owners?
I do not know any system that does not have some issues. The advantage is that they all know the costs of these boats, the commitment made, they have a common DNA , so they understand the constraints of each other. That does not prevent that, from time to time, there is one who has a constraint not exactly identical to that of another and that it is a little firmer, but it is like in life and one ends up always with compromises.

Has the topic of the media man been complicated to impose?
I know that Jean-Luc Nélias has a firm opinion on the question, but on this subject, the teams were in agreement, knowing that this answers a double objective . We know that the double handed is really two solos, so given the sporting demands, the length of the course and the complexity of the weather, we thought it was better if the sailors did not have to take care of all that . Then, and there, we did not invent anything, since it already existed on other races like the Volvo, we really wanted to live this race that goes from the inside. It is still a luxury to have someone who will be able to devote all of his time to telling what he sees.

Have you imposed specifications on the media man?
Never ! I will never ask a media man to make me this or that plan, to follow such editorial line, the beauty of their story will be in the spontaneity. In difficult times, some on board will not necessarily want to show that it is difficult, while others may do. I am sure we will have a lot of different stories.

This is the first race organized by Brest Ultim Sailing, is there a little pressure? Do you feel that pressure?
Yes, there is pressure, it's normal, because I want it to go well, but I'm not an anxious nature, and for the moment, the responses we had from the race village are unanimously positive, so on this subject at least, I think we were not mistaken. After, there are 30 days of racing, I will be able to answer. Now, I never do anything according to the comments of the others, that some comment, criticize or praise what one does, each one can do as they wish. 

Does the survival of the class depend in part on the success of Brest Atlantiques?
I see what you mean, but I do not like those words. My state of mind today is that I am concerned, but not worried. Concerned, because we necessarily want the four come back, but we know that it is a mechanical sport, and that there may be one or two glitches, we can not secure everything. If we have some very serious technical problems, like some from the last Route du Rhum, we will then ask ourselves more questions. But today, I tell myself that we have five boats in the world who are in the Ultim class, the four who are here in Brest, one who is circling around Africa to break a record of his own. [ Idec Sport, Note]. I prefer to take advantage of this and I tell myself that we already have an incredible chance to have these four magnificent prototypes here with seasoned sailors who know very well that it's better for everyone that all the four finish. Now, even if they are extremely responsible, we can not control everything. Armel le Cléac'h is one of the most brilliant sailors of his generation, but that did not stop what happened to him on the Route du Rhum.

Have you tried to enlist Francis Joyon and Idec?
Francis Joyon loves freedom, it was proposed to him, one, two, three times to join us within the class, he came to Nice on Nice UltiMed, since then he has made another choice, we are very respectful of his decision. We would like him to be here, he knows very well that he is potentially welcome, now we are not going to kneel . Everyone is free to do what they want.

The company Brest Ultim Sailing was originally created to organize Brest Oceans which was postponed to 2023, after Brest Atlantiques, will this be sustained and other races organized?
I am going to give you an answer from Normand: (?) one day at a time is enough for him. We will see at the end of Brest Atlantiques, it would be presumptuous to answer now. It's something new, so before stating plans, we must get to the end of this race , we will then review and, depending on what we did well or not do well, we will be able to ask if it is necessary to continue all that, it is too early today.

But if you did well, you'll want to continue, right? And Brest Ultim Sailing must organize Brest Oceans well?
I do not know, there are people who create stuff and once it works, they will do something else, we'll see. And Brest Oceans, it was to be this year and now it will be in 2023, it's far away, so today, I do not know.

In 2020, is The Transat CIC on the program of the class?
Yes, probably, I think the organizer said it, he presented the four categories of boats that will compete, we still have to discuss, but it's in the pipeline .  

The Imoca class did not welcome you with open arms on the Transat Jacques Vabre, it will be one of the four classes announced on The Transat CIC, how do you live this complicated cohabitation?
Everyone says what he wants. For the Transat Jacques Vabre, the organizer notified me of a refusal decision, I regretted it, but that's how it is. I do not worry about what the Imoca class thinks. What I know is that offshore racing needs these multi-class races . Admittedly, some classes also need events dedicated to them, in Imoca everything revolves around the Vendée Globe which is not a multi-class race, but is it that the Vendée Globe is self-sufficient without the other races? The answer is no. Can Ultims live their lives all the time alone? I do not think so . It is thanks to the just cohabitation of the two that there will be a dynamic in this sport, it is not by opposing classes. And when the Lorient-Bermuda-Lorient project came up again, the organizer asked us the question very quickly about whether he could ask the Imoca and Multi50 to come, I said yes immediately.

wraps up with background and predictions which are basically the same as previously published.,

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/11/la-brest-atlantiques-partira-mardi-5-novembre-ultim3223.html#.Xb12B2rYo3E

Brest Atlantiques will leave Tuesday, November 5 at 11am, "we continue to be extremely vigilant"

Postponed Thursday because of stormy weather conditions in the Bay of Biscay, the departure of "Brest Atlantiques" will be given this Tuesday at 11:00. Since the announcement, on Thursday of the postponement the organizer was watching the development of the weather situation, with the objective of taking the first weather window to start the four trimarans of the Ultim Class 32 / 23 on the 14,000 miles of the course. An opportunity arose for a departure on Tuesday, explains Jacques Caraës, the race director: "The conditions for Tuesday will be demanding, with 25/30 knots from north-northwest, but its angle is very favorable for a rapid descent of the Bay of Biscay, in 10-12 hours, but with a sea that remains uncertain. We continue to be extremely vigilant in the evolution of the system. We will be able to determine the conditions in the next 48 hours ".

20191015_SODEBO_ES_1706.JPG
Credit: E Stichelbaut

Once this weather window was confirmed, the organizer, after having obtained the green light from the maritime authorities, set the departure time of 11:00 local, the line of 2.5 miles will be between the west buoy of the Sein island to port and the race committee boat The Rhone to starboard. " As soon as we approved the postponement of the departure, it was important that the first available window be taken, explained Emmanuel Bachellerie, managing director of Brest Ultim Sailing, organizing authority of Brest Atlantiques. Tuesday has brought together all the necessary conditions; meteorological conditions but also those relating to the authority of the State. The 'Maritime Prefect' and his teams have been of great help, listening and understanding and I thank them very sincerely. Nevertheless, we continue, with the race management, to scrutinize very carefully the different meteorological files which, in November, can evolve in one direction or another very quickly ".

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

the line of 2.5 miles will be between the west buoy of the Sein island to port and the race committee boat The Rhone to starboard. " 

A bit strange to put the start line that far off shore, would be interesting to know why.

7 hours ago, yl75 said:

A bit strange to put the start line that far off shore, would be interesting to know why.

First thing I've seen about the start. Maybe the weather and large boats? Looking forward to them getting going. They may come up on some speed bumps along the way with TJV class 40 and the minis.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, yl75 said:

Although I'm not privvy to any information, one answer may lay in this quote from the organisers PR " after having obtained the green light from the maritime authorities,"

The  Atlantic ruling Admiral has two main priorities in his job

- keeping Brest fairways clean for Nuclear submarines.

- keeping the traffic lanes and DST's clean and duly controlled.

I would guess that he is a bit nervous seeing 4 extreme boats racing at 30+ knots in those waters and that his staff certainly remembers Banq Pop disabled and broken in Brest entrance a few years ago.

A few miles west of  West-Sein any mishap would be limited to the yacht's fate.

F.W.I.W

P.S: Admiralty priorities has always been and is now, more than ever, a problem for yacht racing from Brest.

On 10/25/2019 at 8:34 PM, jb5 said:

Sodebo used the ama molds from BP. I seem to remember that BP are using them again as well with the new build. 

Actual should be slower but likely more reliable. May even win it

Actual is still a very powerful and fast boat. Gonna love this race because all boats have a decent chance of winning. 

Gitana team firing shots at the race direction by retweeting this

quick translation

"The organizers of the Brest Atlantic race are going to be crazy and will give the start tomorrow Tuesday at 11am to the four Ultims, Sodebo, Gitana, Macif and Actual, while the sea will be very dangerous for at least the first 6 hours. I hope there is no tragedy...."

Capture.PNG

26 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Pretty funny. Some red face somewhere out there in gitana land. 

Yes, I guess someone just saw the Bietry name (he is/was a famous sport journalist) and retweeted without really reading

Up to 5m waves at the start will be too much, at least for the start boat and the spectator fleet. Wednesday start much better and still gives them enough time to get across the gulf before the next blow. 

IMH Windy O.

Very quick reach out and down across the Bay to escape.

There have been a few interviews talking about the RDR experience and so on in the run up but they still seem firm about Tuesday. An interesting situation for sure. 

This race is very promising. Don't blink or you'll miss it fast. 

Wednesday looks worse to me. 

Screenshot_20191104-210941.png

Elvis has left the building!

Errr, the boats have left the harbour, still circling inside the "Rade de Brest".

My daughter is at the entrance of the rade, on the North shore of "le goulet". She will try to take pictures and I will post if they are any good...

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/11/top-depart-brest-atlantiques-macif-sodebo-gitana-actual.html#.XcFr6WrYo3E

François Gabart (Trimaran Macif)
"We will have to be careful in the Bay of Biscay with the strong conditions, but it is rather good to quickly reach the trade winds. We must find the right rhythm for the boat and for us. During the first hours, we will always have one of us on watch and not far from the helm to try to go fast without forcing on the boat. There will not be many maneuvers, it will be mostly driving. "

Thomas Coville (Sodebo Ultim 3):
"The first day in the Bay of Biscay will be intense, we must be very focused right now, there can be no mistake, it will take a lot of energy. I study the issue of these first hours of racing, it's not trivial, but I have no particular apprehension. It is necessary to pass quickly from the Bay of Biscay, after, it will be an absolutely fabulous slide to Brazil. "

Franck Cammas (Maxi Edmond de Rothschild):
"The start is going to be windy and tonight it will calm down, so tonight! Until then, we will try to be cautious, to leave unscathed past Cape Finisterre, there is no interest in attacking at the start, it is only at the beginning of the race. We can do more tomorrow morning when we are already pretty far south! "

Yves Le Blevec (Actual Leader):
"The days of departure are always nervous (?) moments, however we leave confident, it's finally time to go boating! The first ten hours will be cautious, it will be necessary to balance between marine sense and competition. "

46 minutes ago, popo said:

What a fucking piece of crap of a start with no live coverage, very bad point for the organisation, that's 2019 for fuck sake

Yeah ... the start on this type of race is not necessarily that important, and once the decision was taken to have the start that off shore (probably due to the reasons provide by moody frog), bringing some copters there is a bit much (and not very eco friendly ...

Having the start within the rade de Brest on the other hand would have been something, they probably should have pushed a bit more for that.

33 minutes ago, yl75 said:

This is great stuff. Looks like too much fun. Huge fuckin cajones on these lads. "Nursing" the boat through rough conditions at 32kts. When they get into a friendly sea state.... warp speed. Hard to bet against Macif. Caudrelier and Cammas got lucky in the Fastnet, no?

2 hours ago, Ricky Craven said:

Hard to bet against Macif. Caudrelier and Cammas got lucky in the Fastnet, no?

Gitana is the quickest of all, even Gabart said it.

But Macif if the most realable of all.

Sobebo is not at her top potential as long as she doesn't have her central daggerboard lifting surface

Actual can win only if the 3 others break

It's not always the fastest boat that wins. Tactics do come into play.

3 hours ago, yl75 said:

"The sea is very rough right now [...] so we'll take it slow at the beginning"

Proceed to blast through the starting line at 32+ knts. These guys are crazy indeed. 

Also, regarding the coverage, they said there was a live planned for Sunday start (and possibly closer to the coast?), but everything fell apart when they had to delay.

It's a pity we didn't got any live at the start because of the delay, but it's absolutely amazing that after only a few hours of race we already have properly edited 1080p videos with subtitles. Props to the teams and the onboard media guys.

Looks like Gitana team and Actual plan to "cut the corner" at Cape Finisterre by sailing inside the TSS... at night time.

There must be truckload of boats coming in and out of the TSS. So OK, they all have AIS (supposedly), but if I remember well in previous courses (including VG) some sailors were complaining that fishing boats are not always with AIS on...

Barrelling down at 30+ knots in this area is going to be... interesting...

According to below, Gitana has only two reefs in the main, the three others have three :

https://www.brestatlantiques.com/actualites/depart-grandiose-pour-brest-atlantiques

Le Trimaran Macif était le plus nord en cap en tout début de course, mais au bout d’une heure, il a déroulé son J3 et s’est recalé vers le Maxi Edmond de Rothschild qui, comme il n’a que deux ris (contre trois pour les trois autres bateaux), était un peu plus toilé. 

I Must admit that I´ve never seen anything like that. This is no promovid, this is real racing. Unbelivable. Let´s hope that everyone can keep their things together :o:wacko::blink:

You know, they really are getting these things sorted in a way where ripping along at those speeds, in those seas, they really look under control and actually reasonably comfortable.  Think back two Sodebos ago (when it was the three sister-ships of Sodebo, Idec and the ME boat), when it was all Colville could do to keep from going ass-over-tea-kettle, non-stop.  It looked absolutely brutal and like he could never have just rested his mind.  Even the current Edec Sport (originally Groupama) does not look as smooth or comfortable going through those kinds of seas.  The only boat that looks more comfortable is Spindrift (Banque Pop), but it is no where near as nimble.

Absolutely awesome to watch.

15 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Are there any limitations or restrictions on communications between thetas and onshore staff, or access to the internet, etc. as there was in the VORs?

I think there are no restriction since they all have an onshore routing team

3 minutes ago, Ahstom said:

I think there are no restriction since they all have an onshore routing team

Yes, for communications everything is allowed, including on shore routing :

17. AIDE EXTERIEURE

17.1. Tous les systèmes d’aide à la navigation sont autorisés, et notamment le routage modification de la RCV 41 et modification écrite de la règle de classe C.2.6 suite à l’autorisation donnée par la classe Ultim 32/23.

17.2. (Ceci modifie les RCV 41 et 45) Les bateaux doivent effectuer la totalité de la course d’une façon indépendante et ne doivent pas, délibérément, naviguer de conserve ou prendre des dispositions en vue d’un quelconque accompagnement. Pendant la course, le bateau ne peut avoir de contact matériel avec un autre navire ou aéronef. Il ne peut être ravitaillé de quelque façon que ce soit.

17.3. Pendant la course, un bateau peut faire escale ou mouiller et recevoir assistance dans les conditions suivantes uniquement :

• Le skipper doit en faire la demande à la direction de course (VHF, Inmarsat C, M, téléphone).

• Après accord de la direction de course sur le lieu de l’arrêt, sur les réparations à effectuer et éventuellement sur le matériel à changer, le bateau peut être remorqué ou mettre son moteur pour entrer et/ou sortir du port ou du mouillage convenu avec la direction de course et sur une distance convenue à condition qu’il puisse être prouvé que le résultat global d’un tel remorquage ou de la marche au moteur n’ait pas favorisé la progression du bateau vers la ligne d’arrivée.

• Lorsque le bateau est en remorque ou au moteur, et seulement à ce moment-là, des personnes peuvent monter à bord.

• Lorsque le bateau est au mouillage ou amarré sur une bouée ou à couple d’un navire mouillé ou à quai dans le port ou l’abri convenu avec la Direction de course, les réparations peuvent être effectuées et il peut être ravitaillé et embarquer le matériel de rechange convenu avec la Direction de course. L’équipage peut débarquer.

• Lorsque le bateau a fini ses réparations, pour reprendre la course, il peut être remorqué ou partir au moteur sur une distance convenue d’avance avec la Direction de course à condition qu’il puisse être prouvé que le résultat global d’un tel remorquage ou de la marche au moteur n’ait pas favorisé la progression du bateau vers la ligne d’arrivée. Dès que le bateau reprend sa course, seul le skipper est à bord. Le skipper confirme à la direction de course sa reprise de la course et certifie le respect des exigences de cet article.

https://www.brestatlantiques.com/sites/default/files/2019-08/Brest-Atlantiques_Avis_de_course.pdf

Bidegorry and Caudrelier were pushing for Ultims for the TOR, maybe would have been the right decision, it would also have allowed more flexibility in the routes/stops due to the higher speed.

With 5 or 6 crew or something.

A nice extended view from Actual.  Minimal talking lots of images.  Some great stuff coming through the main site.  I think its all in French though of course.  These guys and boats are just amazing.  Coverage is beyond anything I've seen before from them. I may change my mind about on board reporters value, on these boats anyway.

Doing some headsails work at 40 knts :

Thomas is saying they didn't push too hard, objectve crossing Biscay without breaking anything, and he hurt one eye doing this maneuver aft.

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

Question for the in crowd; is this a handicapped race based on VPP software and a box rule? Or just line honours? Appreciate any info.

French aren't big on handicap, gotta be line honours. The boats are also very similar in speed. Actual may be old, but it's bulletproof. Same for Macif. 

Nice that the seas have calmed down so they’re able to foil better.  40 knots boatspeed is crazy.  At this rate they may be done by Thanksgiving. 

6 minutes ago, PaulK said:

40 knots boatspeed is crazy.

In today's day and age apparently everyone is doing 40 it's (the AC's, F50's, etc etc)...

HOWEVER maybe when we add the qualified of "40 knots boat speed in the open ocean day and night and day and night holy shit balls" it is more apparent how incredible this really is!!

:lol::lol:

After racing one of these beasts, is it possible to go back to a conventionally planing hull?

Or, would a paltry 15 -18knots be a blessed relief?

1 hour ago, Raptorsailor said:

French aren't big on handicap, gotta be line honours. The boats are also very similar in speed. Actual may be old, but it's bulletproof. Same for Macif. 

Is Actual capable of keeping up, and choosing to start conservatively?  Or are they just plain slower and only going to be able to compete if others break something?

Seems the other three are fairly equal.  Not trying to be negative about Actual...  They don't seem to be far off the pace...  but enough that unless the speed difference is strategic for boat preservation, they seem to have to wait at the back for others to break down (or find a better lane through the doldrums, or some other strategic move later).

36 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I guess Macif and Sodebo will also jibe soon (if not already the case), not enough updates !!

Ranking update every 4 hours while hourly updated on TJV, come on ! With those speed, it's not enough! 

6 minutes ago, Ahstom said:

Ranking update every 4 hours while hourly updated on TJV, come on ! With those speed, it's not enough! 

Indeed, but maybe it is a request from the skippers/teams, not sure about that.

1 hour ago, yl75 said:

Indeed, but maybe it is a request from the skippers/teams, not sure about that.

Could also be money thinghy, as more frequent updates require more data and monitoring.

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

Could also be money thinghy, as more frequent updates require more data and monitoring.

But they get the "continuous" data (as shown on the routes), so it is just about the publishing frequency, which I would say might be a bit more expensive, but not a lot.

I sent a mail asking the question, no answer yet ..

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Interesting split around the high developing. But which way is right?

Right is right :lol: - the Azores HP zone will be kept to their right (kept on starboard) so the routing will be between the HP and Africa. The HP zone is too big to circumnavigate (800 nm) so you end up too far west almost above Suriname. Also the wind direction would not be favorable at all compared to the broad reaching they are doing now.

Looking at all the videos you can forget the AC-hype where they stop racing at over 25 kn windspeed. This here is the thing this is the top of sailing. What do you think how many people in the world can do this? More then 10, maybe 20? I wouldn´t have thought that this is possible. For of them at 40 kn day in day out and no breakage. simply unbelivable.:blink:

46 minutes ago, ET1 said:

Looking at all the videos you can forget the AC-hype where they stop racing at over 25 kn windspeed. This here is the thing this is the top of sailing. What do you think how many people in the world can do this? More then 10, maybe 20? I wouldn´t have thought that this is possible. For of them at 40 kn day in day out and no breakage. simply unbelivable.:blink:

Well said.   I also think it's interesting that with the AC theories, people are wondering who can stay on the foils 100% of the time in a 20-30 minute race.  These guys spend more time on their foils while trying to fall asleep!

49 minutes ago, shoeby11 said:

I also think it's interesting that with the AC theories, people are wondering who can stay on the foils 100% of the time in a 20-30 minute race.  These guys spend more time on their foils while trying to fall asleep!

I'm not sure a foiling tack/gybe has been done on an Ultim yet though ;)

4 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I'm not sure a foiling tack/gybe has been done on an Ultim yet though ;)

Indeed, would be interesting to know!

Otherwise for me there is clearly room for the two aspects (AC and offshore foiling), maybe what is missing is crewed offshore foiling, the TOR should have moved to Ultims ...

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, apologies if it has:

What strikes me here is, although the cockpit is protected compared to being "outside" its hardly fully enclosed compared to say Macif? Or at least it looks like it'd "feel" like being only semi enclosed. Also, no PFD at night? :o

Archived