Sydney to Hobart 2020

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The importance of punctuation.

You are all missing the point you shallow trophy hunting cocks...... It's about participation and going out into nature with the wind in your hair and your bro's by your side..... lol Pease love

The two handed exclusion from the Tattersalls Cup is going to a protest tomorrow. I hope they win the protest.

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Couta said:

Hey Scanas - where'd you dig this up from? It's GOLD! I just sent a link thru to some mates who are loving the nostalgia...so many good stories!!

It was a great find. It was extra cool to so easily recognise a fellow club member and namesake going for an unplanned swim post race.

At least the Montague would be in warmer weather than the old October long weekend which was always freezing. Could reduce the safety requirements and there might be more entries. Maybe Cabbage Tree instead of Bird to make the race closer to Hobart length.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Yep done that and its demoralising 

Good point. Do the CYCA still have that Bird Island / Flinders Island race?  It was tough if things did not go well for the first 90 Miles to not turn in.

Maybe a virtual mark off shore down south that you go to on the way down and back from Montague. 

2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Don't worry, the race would have to finish in Flinders anyway.

Flinders I like.  Great pub!

20 minutes ago, DtM said:

Good point. Do the CYCA still have that Bird Island / Flinders Island race?  It was tough if things did not go well for the first 90 Miles to not turn in.

Maybe a virtual mark off shore down south that you go to on the way down and back from Montague. 

Bird - Flinders is gone but now have a Newcastle-Bass Is!

1 hour ago, TUBBY said:

Flinders I like.  Great pub!

I don't know the pub, but 35 years ago when I did a delivery home from the M2D. We arrived late into flinders, the boat was dry so a search party went to the pub for supplies. The owner was closing up but he sold them supplies and gave them a lift in his ute back to the boat.

5 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Don't worry, the race would have to finish in Flinders anyway.

Not sure what your thinking here is? The Volvo65s finished in Melbourne just off Port Melbourne and the ORCV run short ocean races with an option to finish just off the heads. Most of the time you are able to sail through the heads and if not finish off the heads.

34 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Not sure what your thinking here is? The Volvo65s finished in Melbourne just off Port Melbourne and the ORCV run short ocean races with an option to finish just off the heads. Most of the time you are able to sail through the heads and if not finish off the heads.

Chucky, I think it is due to the heads being somewhat treacherous on an ebb flow with big seas - this risk can be mitigated for race starts - for finishes ? Not so much.

Shipping also poses a problem - authorities have become increasingly tougher over the last 10-15 years - there are now virtual marks in the heads that ORCV entrants must adhere to, keeps them west of the main channel

35 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Chucky, I think it is due to the heads being somewhat treacherous on an ebb flow with big seas - this risk can be mitigated for race starts - for finishes ? Not so much.

Shipping also poses a problem - authorities have become increasingly tougher over the last 10-15 years - there are now virtual marks in the heads that ORCV entrants must adhere to, keeps them west of the main channel

even in good conditions, if you arrive at the wrong time you might struggle to get in. It would be a lottery for small boats. 

6 hours ago, lydia said:

South Solitary to Montague is 394 miles so double that, but you can decide which way you go first to speed it up.

I like that concept .... 200 navigator brains stewing .... just imagine when some boats went out the heads and turned right and some turned out the heads and turned left.  "D'ya feel lucky punk?"

8 hours ago, DuncanR said:

I like that concept .... 200 navigator brains stewing .... just imagine when some boats went out the heads and turned right and some turned out the heads and turned left.  "D'ya feel lucky punk?"

That is the point!

And the decision would be different for different size boats.

Make the navigators really earn the money.

21 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Might be time for a Sydney Eden race, or Sydney Monatgue, Bird Island, Sydney race

Sydney, Deal Island Group, Eden gives you a ~ 620 nm race, and you get a taste of Bass Strait in both directions.

It has a Fastnet feel about it...... Good anchorages around Deal and there is nearby Flinders Island for shelter and retirees.

44 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Sydney, Deal Island Group, Eden gives you a ~ 620 nm race, and you get a taste of Bass Strait in both directions.

It has a Fastnet feel about it...... Good anchorages around Deal and there is nearby Flinders Island for shelter and retirees.

Very good point!

and you have to come over the shelf, nasty!

.....You could do Hogan Islands Group as well as/instead of Deal Islands..... to get some fleet separation for “big” returning boats avoiding the “little” ones still coming down?

It would add another ~ 20 nm.

”Bass Strait Islands Race”.

Well if the CYCA can't keep themselves open it will be a mute point

COVID-19 UPDATE from Commodore Paul Billingham.

Unfortunately, the precautions we took yesterday to close the Club have been proven valid, with a second Member testing positive to COVID-19.

We have therefore sought guidance on how to deal with this from NSW Health and they have advised that as the Club has only recently reopened there is no need for further action on our part other than cleaning the Clubhouse.

1 hour ago, Bill E Goat said:

Unfortunately, the precautions we took yesterday to close the Club have been proven valid, with a second Member testing positive to COVID-19.

We have therefore sought guidance on how to deal with this from NSW Health and they have advised that as the Club has only recently reopened there is no need for further action on our part other than cleaning the Clubhouse.

credit to them for getting ahead of the game with the second shutdown though.

1 hour ago, lydia said:

Moves already afoot in Qld for a 300 miles Christmas Race on account of no Hobart.

Same thing happened in Ireland - Round Ireland Race got cancelled, so there has been a race Organised from Dublin to Cork starting on the same day with a list limited to 25 boats. 

6 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

They forgot to mention that a members wife was also infected.

Thx for posting  '74 Hobart clip Hoppy. I must have been around too long also. At the beginning there's a shot of a 12' skiff & I think it's Phil Stevenson  (a much younger version) in Walpurgis Wrath, one of the first if not the first stitch & glue 12. Anyone confirm or is my memory going (worse)

On 8/13/2020 at 10:18 AM, DtM said:

At least the Montague would be in warmer weather than the old October long weekend which was always freezing. Could reduce the safety requirements and there might be more entries. Maybe Cabbage Tree instead of Bird to make the race closer to Hobart length.

My boat knows Montague well

• Like 1

Why not Sydney Gabo Eden.

Maintain the taste, probably get a bit of rough water for the newbies and support the rather long suffering Edenites?

Might have to limit fleet size though.

16 minutes ago, Frogman56 said:

Why not Sydney Gabo Eden.

Maintain the taste, probably get a bit of rough water for the newbies and support the rather long suffering Edenites?

Might have to limit fleet size though.

Yes the will ban Victorian's from entering :D Poor ol Vic can't shake the COVID badge..!

12 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Same for the CYCA. Maybe another club needs to host a Boxing Day race start in Sydney

MULTIHULL YACHT CLUB OF AUSTRALIA will fill the void surely. 

• Like 1

Solves that problem!

Tasmania will keep state border closed until at least December

Another state has made a grim Christmas prediction, with Tasmania announcing they will keep borders closed until at least December.

Tasmania’s Premier Peter Gutwein has announced the state’s borders will remain closed until at least December 1.

The announcement comes just a week after the Northern Territory’s Chief Minister announced border restrictions would be in place for 18 months in some capacity, while Queensland still remains closed to NSW, Victoria and the ACT.

RELATED: Prime Minister plea over state borders

Mr Gutwein said his border closure forecast is to allow outbreaks in other states, including Victoria and NSW, to be brought under control.

The Premier said that in a bid to encourage intrastate holidays, Tasmanians will be provided with a $100 travel incentive as part of a new $7.5 million voucher system.

“In regards to extending our border restrictions for a longer period, we also recognise there is a need to do more to help our hospitality and tourism industry,” Mr Gutwein said in an address to state parliament on Tuesday.

Tasmanians will be provided with a financial incentive to holiday in their own state in September, October and November.

Tasmanians will be provided with a financial incentive to holiday in their own state in September, October and November.Source:Supplied

“Today I’m also announcing intrastate visitation and to support Tasmanians getting out and visiting their own home state.

“We are announcing that we’ll be introducing the ‘Make Yourself at Home’ travel voucher, which means that across the months of September, October and November we’ll be making a total of $7.5 million available to encourage Tasmanians to travel outside of their municipality, to stay midweek in accommodation or to purchase a tourism experience for any day of the week.”

Mr Gutwein’s new travel voucher stimulus program means that participants can put the full $100 towards accommodation or $50 towards a tourism experience.

There is no way any club should be continuing to plan for a race to Tassie for this Christmas, because we all know that the border opening could quite easily be delayed Time for the CYCA & ORCV to prepare a NOR for alternative races within their borders 

I think that is better than a late cancellation and no races at all.

On 8/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, lydia said:

Moves already afoot in Qld for a 300 miles Christmas Race on account of no Hobart.

Sounds good.

What about Brisbane to Bundaberg via Lady Elliott Island.

300nm and the change of direction at Elliott will mean not all beating or running. Deep water finish out the front of the club house in Bundy.

4 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

There is no way any club should be continuing to plan for a race to Tassie for this Christmas, because we all know that the border opening could quite easily be delayed Time for the CYCA & ORCV to prepare a NOR for alternative races within their borders 

I think that is better than a late cancellation and no races at all.

Queenscliff start, out the heads down and around Tassie, either way, clockwise or anti clockwise for a bit of tactical fun and return back to a Queenscliff finish ??

1 hour ago, Flippin Out said:

Queenscliff start, out the heads down and around Tassie, either way, clockwise or anti clockwise for a bit of tactical fun and return back to a Queenscliff finish ??

Go back a few pages!

No sense of history.

You can even watch it on video

• Like 1

Seems to me that the "around Tassie" portion might be an issue for the Tasmanian government. Guaranteed to be no retirements??? ;)

15 hours ago, bushsailor said:

Sounds good.

What about Brisbane to Bundaberg via Lady Elliott Island.

300nm and the change of direction at Elliott will mean not all beating or running. Deep water finish out the front of the club house in Bundy.

As long as Australian Sailing are not involved in any adjudication role I’d be in.
I don’t like my daughters going out with convicted sex offenders, so it’d be rather hypocritical to welcome AS in any official capacity.

12 hours ago, lydia said:

Go back a few pages!

No sense of history.

You can even watch it on video

I read the posts and watched the video.

You said "Melbourne to Melbourne with Tasmania to starboard."

I said "Around Tassie, either way, clockwise or anti clockwise for a bit of tactical fun" as in you can chose which way you go, some down the west coast some down the east coast and see who gets back to Queenscliff first.

Not the same thing.

3 hours ago, Jethrow said:

Seems to me that the "around Tassie" portion might be an issue for the Tasmanian government. Guaranteed to be no retirements??? ;)

Retirements to be sentenced to 14 days hard labour at the nearest convict settlement, 1800's style. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

2 hours ago, OW1981 said:

Retirements to be sentenced to 14 days hard labour at the nearest convict settlement, 1800's style. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I suppose they could recommission port arthur

How about the NSW boats on the day after Boxing Day start from Barrenjoey turn right and go north.  Small boats can elect to finish at Coffs, big boats go around Sth Solitary and back to Sydney.  Mmm,  I think this might have happened before but I cant remember when.

4 hours ago, trt131 said:

How about the NSW boats on the day after Boxing Day start from Barrenjoey turn right and go north.  Small boats can elect to finish at Coffs, big boats go around Sth Solitary and back to Sydney.  Mmm,  I think this might have happened before but I cant remember when.

Why not start on the 26th from Sydney. I do think the idea of 2 races within a race is a good idea. 

1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

Pittwater - South Solitary - Lord Howe - Sydney .... 

Problem is any course has to have the ability for boats retiring to be in the same state.  Lord Howe has 14 day quarantine restriction.  No good if you break something or have to seek shelter

Anyone want to buy an ex Comanche or Wild Oats XI mainsail or other sails.? Grab yourself a bargain...!

https://www.sail-world.com/news/230897/Marine-Auctions-Online-Sail-Auction

76 near new and used sails to suit yachts from 45ft to 100ft, including Asymmetrical & Symmetrical Spinnakers, Mainsails, Headsails, Genoas and Roller Furling Genoas.

Some sails are ex Comanche, Wild Oats, 72ft Mini Maxi, TP 52s and various other yachts.

Bidding to commence on Wednesday, 23rd Sept and will end on Tuesday, 29th Sept 2020 at 2pm AEST. The highest bidder of any lot will be the purchaser.

The final Bid Price will be C.I.F. which includes the cost of goods, insurance and freight included to any major airport in the world. In countries where applicable, GST may apply.

For full details and catalogue, which includes Sails Dimensions and Rated Condition, contact:

Hobart will still be on!!

What do the Tasmanians know?

Health authorities have announced six new coronavirus hot-spot locations around NSW as the desperate hunt for the sources of 16 “mystery cases” continues. 

On Friday, all of Newcastle, the Woollahra area – including Point Piper and Double Bay – The Hills LGA in northwest Sydney and the Hornsby LGA were all declared hot spots.

6 minutes ago, lydia said:

Hobart will still be on!!

What do the Tasmanians know?

Health authorities have announced six new coronavirus hot-spot locations around NSW as the desperate hunt for the sources of 16 “mystery cases” continues. 

On Friday, all of Newcastle, the Woollahra area – including Point Piper and Double Bay – The Hills LGA in northwest Sydney and the Hornsby LGA were all declared hot spots.

What's your definition of "ON"..? How will Victorians be able to compete? Tasmania has closed it's borders too. If you were in little OL Tassie you would do the same. 

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

What's your definition of "ON"..? How will Victorians be able to compete? Tasmania has closed it's borders too. If you were in little OL Tassie you would do the same. 

Sorry forgot to put the irony and sarcasm notation on the sentence.

• Like 1
On 8/21/2020 at 2:03 PM, terrafirma said:

If Dan lets us go racing and the Tassie borders remain closed, we should organise the Great Circle Race to harass the Taswegians.

8 hours ago, armchairadmiral said:

They're delaying the inevitable.

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

I wonder is the CYCA is smart enough to working in the background to put together a plan for an alternative race.

There is no recent history of "smart", "work" or "alternatives" to draw upon; from which to generate much hope........

But they say "Hope springs Eternal"

59 minutes ago, Boink said:

There is no recent history of "smart", "work" or "alternatives" to draw upon; from which to generate much hope........

But they say "Hope springs Eternal"

I have more belief that the ORCV will be preparing for alternative races as they have shown themselves to be more proactive.