Sydney to Hobart 2020

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The importance of punctuation.

You are all missing the point you shallow trophy hunting cocks...... It's about participation and going out into nature with the wind in your hair and your bro's by your side..... lol Pease love

The two handed exclusion from the Tattersalls Cup is going to a protest tomorrow. I hope they win the protest.

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Puddle Jumping said:

Um, no mention of Victoria..... Sydney remains the center of the universe. 

Pray you don't have gear failure and need to stop in Victoria hahahaha

Could be 1998 all over again, but instead every boat has to stop in a state battling an epidemic.

So no two handed boats are eligible for the Tattersalls Cup or divisional placings. They will race in their own division.

Two handed boats are not eligible to compete against fully crewed boats.  That's the word from the CYCA according to their email today.

This sucks..... 

36 minutes ago, Up_Next said:

So no two handed boats are eligible for the Tattersalls Cup or divisional placings. They will race in their own division.

Two handed boats are not eligible to compete against fully crewed boats.  That's the word from the CYCA according to their email today.

This sucks..... 

I kind of assumed that would always be the case.  Especially the own division bit.

And here's the decision from that tight-knit little fraternity that looks after its own....

It's the classic "shit sandwich" approach with the "we value you" opening statement..followed by the shit .....followed by the "we really value" you closer....read on:

"Thank you for your patience and understanding with regard to the Two-Handed eligibility decision

The Club has spent a long time considering all aspects of this decision. We are writing to advise you of the Board’s decision.

The Club remains incredibly excited about the inclusion of two-handed sailing in the Rolex Sydney Hobart, particularly as this area of our sport becomes increasingly popular worldwide. Nevertheless, this new division adds a layer of complexity through the sophisticated sailing technology associated with Autopilot units.

The Club believes further understanding needs to be gained regarding the full capacity of this technology and how it will be accommodated within current handicap rating systems. As such, the Club will be amending the 2020 Rolex Sydney Hobart Notice of Race to reflect that two-handed entrants will be scored within their own handicap category divisions and not be eligible to compete against fully crewed boats in divisions or for the overall race win.

The inclusion of two-handed sailing is an important step forward for the Club and we will be honouring this division with a new perpetual trophy for the IRC Two-Handed overall winner.

The Amendment to the Notice of Race will be published early next week."

This is despite meetings and reassurances by none less than the commodore and sailing manager that this would not happen...it just did...because a handful of power-brokers on big name boats threatened/persuaded the club to reconsider their priorities....

Entries have been withdrawn....

• Like 1

Gotta love the justification..."The Club believes further understanding needs to be gained regarding the full capacity of this technology and how it will be accommodated within current handicap rating systems."....Like they've only just realised that short handed racing yachts use self steering tech......and have been doing so for years. Either the club threw the idea of short handed into the mix as a poorly considered "brain fart"...or there's been a serious push back from the power brokers necessitating a back down. Pretty clear what happened.

• Like 3

Hey Couta, you’ve absolutely hit the nail on the head. It seems ridiculous that a two-handed boat is not eligible to win while everything from a 100 foot diesel-powered canter to a 30 something foot 1904 timber classic (Katwinchar or Maluka) are eligible. The other 600 mile Rolex races manage to include these boats, why not the CYCA? #stuckinthepast 

• Like 1

Incredibly lame nonsense from Cornish et al....

As if, under IRC, without compensation for 400 kg of crew off the rail, the boat speeds up! No rating credit for less crew weight.

Some real shit show chain tugging has occured here...

On 10/30/2020 at 6:01 PM, Couta said:

Gotta love the justification..."The Club believes further understanding needs to be gained regarding the full capacity of this technology and how it will be accommodated within current handicap rating systems."....Like they've only just realised that short handed racing yachts use self steering tech......and have been doing so for years. Either the club threw the idea of short handed into the mix as a poorly considered "brain fart"...or there's been a serious push back from the power brokers necessitating a back down. Pretty clear what happened.

As a 25 year CYCA member I’m appalled. 

• Like 1
On 10/30/2020 at 8:49 PM, SCANAS said:

I mean it’s a slippery slope. One year DH’s can win, the next year a 130’ G Glass trimaran can. Discuss. 

That’s a 48hr soak without a bite. I’m impressed. 

On 10/31/2020 at 9:22 PM, DickDastardly said:

As a 25 year CYCA member I’m appalled. 

And so you should be Dick. Once again we see the uninspired organisation that is the CYCA maintaining consistency in the application of their long held Cranio-Rectal Proximity policy.

What a bunch of extremely dumb self-interested cunts. 

• Like 2

Did we really expect anything else from the Tilting at Windmills mentality that has given us 100ft limits - which exluded the likes of Mari Cha IV, IRC limits to competition - when Max Z86 Morning Glory which would have handed a boatspeed lesson to Skandia and Alfa Romeo - was banned as being too fast, AIS gate - with Mark Richards hair gel alledgedly frying the onboard electronics, and now Double Handed divisions being excluded?

Despite Autopilots being the way forward - being both adopted and embraced by the European community - the CYCA sticks their heads in the sand and act like King Canute trying to hold back the tide - we all know how that worked out........

• Like 3

The old upper rating & LOA Limits I agree with. In fact a reintroduction of an upper IRC limit could really bring this race back from the billionaires to the multi millionaires. 

I also think CYCA could be given a years leeway on the decision, it’s taken them 76yrs to get to this. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

it blows my mind that someone spent enough coin to get that to the start..... wow

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Wild Oats and Scallywag not competing. Scallywag due to Quarantine 14 days and Wild Oats statement says out of respect for all those who have suffered Covid-19

Scally had a way around the quarantine issue, but didn't want to spend the (relatively miniscule) money.

• Like 1
On 11/2/2020 at 3:51 PM, SCANAS said:

The old upper rating & LOA Limits I agree with. In fact a reintroduction of an upper IRC limit could really bring this race back from the billionaires to the multi millionaires. 

I also think CYCA could be given a years leeway on the decision, it’s taken them 76yrs to get to this. 

No one should give the CYCA any leeway on anything. As someone said above, they are a bunch of Lloyd Bridges.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Wild Oats and Scallywag not competing. Scallywag due to Quarantine 14 days and Wild Oats statement says out of respect for all those who have suffered Covid-19

So does that infer that all those entries are being disrespectful?

• Like 3
10 hours ago, astro said:

So does that infer that all those entries are being disrespectful?

no it means Oats has a problem of some sort... crew or management.... it was rumored that were done as a team which was shot down here and then they decide not to go....
I would think going is a boost for the business / economy / and well everything.... No..?

Don't say you were not warned but just watching about 45 knots roll through Maatsukyer right now but after the last few days out with 30 degree temps this is not early November normal from the last few years.

Looks like a good westerly stream for the next few days so a few days out in the Channel for me.

I'm still amazed that the CYCA has no problem with electrics / moveable ballast and power generation but thinks an autopilot gives an unfair advantage. Still what will be will be. Gives me another reason not to be stressed about not going.

Re quarantining. Kiwis can still come over on Christmas Day, but will have to quarantine for 14 days on return - if they can get a spot in a hotel. The Pros can call it business related and may well get paid for the confinement. However they would still miss New Year and a fortnight at the beach.

Tough ask.

Well it would be good to know what is really going on with Oats? Interesting as the 100's are now dwindling for many reasons. So we now have a race between BJ and Infotrack? I wonder if Black Jack have made any further changes, they would have been disappointed with their result last year IMO. 

19 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Oats saying its not a good visual for them to be racing to Hobart considering all the staff they have had to lay off during the pandemic. No doubt they would have had problems getting the significant o/s contingent of their crew to turn up with quarantine restrictions slowing and extending the immigration process.

Of critical importance, Ricko's hairdresser probably got the arse too.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Yeah theres a whole thing about it & lawsuits about the purchase from Kwok was on FP & around here somewhere. 

Yeah read the lawsuit deal. Sounded more like they were whinging about Gavin Brady talking up the boat's rating. Obviously when your selling a racing boat the rating and race results pretty much dictate a big part of the boat's price. If this Botin 80 got sold for $570k then I would have thought the boat isn't travelling too well? It never set the world on fire but I think originally it was designed to use some recycled gear? So Gavin Brady being sued for being shonky and the boat ends up with Wharro? Humm, case closed I would have thought...:D

12 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Early November normal is capricious in these parts!

That was the point, just had a run of cracker days when it should be capricious as this time of year is crap.

10 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Oats saying its not a good visual for them to be racing to Hobart considering all the staff they have had to lay off during the pandemic. No doubt they would have had problems getting the significant o/s contingent of their crew to turn up with quarantine restrictions slowing and extending the immigration process.

Of critical importance, Ricko's hairdresser probably got the arse too.

Something like 1200 laid off at Hamilton Island? Up here in New England a bunch of superyachts have been wandering around and lots of shit in the media about it.

Although Rising Sun is sitting amongst a bunch of steel fishboats. Not exactly the French Rivieria. :lol: 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

The East Coast  sunfish flotilla is gathering...

Yeah but this boat has 2 rudders so it may take 2 sunfish..!  Multiple owners of this boat with Wharro as one has never ended well for the other owners? Paul would know what he is like so there should be no surprises......

3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah but this boat has 2 rudders so it may take 2 sunfish..!  Multiple owners of this boat with Wharro as one has never ended well for the other owners? Paul would know what he is like so there should be no surprises......

Won’t go well I’m tipping.    Plenty of egos and neither will take a back seat

3 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

That and the boat is a proven barker.

Yeah from memory didn't they take the rig and sails etc and whatever else off the Farr 80 Beau Geste which was nearly lost in the Auckland to Noumea race (Suffered Hull and Deck Damage) and design the Botin hull around the gear? 

https://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Noumea-Race-Beau-Geste-would-have-taken-a-minute-to-sink-says-skipper/-98059?source=google

4 minutes ago, Mahina said:

They are leaving West coast US tomorrow, will need to be a quick delivery back to Sydney in time for Hobart start, plus do quarantine and qualifier miles.

Are they shipping it or sailing it over?

10 minutes ago, Mahina said:

Sailing, as far as i know

Wouldn't sailing it tick off the qualifying miles?  I think an augment could be made for quarantine too if you could prove you didn't touch land for 2 weeks. 

40 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Wouldn't sailing it tick off the qualifying miles?  I think an augment could be made for quarantine too if you could prove you didn't touch land for 2 weeks. 

Yes it would qualify miles-wise - if at least half the race crew were aboard, i think.

It should be ok for quarantine but govts are pretty thick when it comes to boats. I think they view it the same as a plane, but worse

I'd rather sail the boat from the West Coast and tick off the quarantine 2 weeks that way.! The hotel quarantine would be a nightmare. Getting the qualifier out of the way that way would be a bonus. Wharro will be chasing a podium for Line Honors with no Oats, Commanche and Scallywag. 

50 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I'd rather sail the boat from the West Coast and tick off the quarantine 2 weeks that way.! The hotel quarantine would be a nightmare. Getting the qualifier out of the way that way would be a bonus. Wharro will be chasing a podium for Line Honors with no Oats, Commanche and Scallywag. 

Still blackjack though 

4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Four blokes from Melbourne: 

Grant Wharrington

Paul Heyse

Daryl Kerrigan

Mick Gatto

Mick Gatto would not be seen anywhere near the Ocean unless they have chained his ankles and are dumping him overboard..! :D And Daryl Kerrigan is a land lubber who only ventures into Lake Eildon occasionally.! 

17 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Yes it would qualify miles-wise - if at least half the race crew were aboard, i think.

It should be ok for quarantine but govts are pretty thick when it comes to boats. I think they view it the same as a plane, but worse

Ships are sent at moment to the southern ports of AU first to burn up time to make the 2 weeks quarantine time from last port. I'm sure if they are logged with amsa or who ever so it won't be an issue when hitting Australian waters! 

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Mick Gatto would not be seen anywhere near the Ocean unless they have chained his ankles and are dumping him overboard..! :D And Daryl Kerrigan is a land lubber who only ventures into Lake Eildon occasionally.! 

Darryl has supplied a 1984 Johnson 90hp two stroke to replace the heavy diesel & get it on the step earlier. It’s one to watch. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Darryl has supplied a 1984 Johnson 90hp two stroke to replace the heavy diesel & get it on the step earlier. It’s one to watch. 

Love it Scanas. Got to ask though what made you come up with the last 2 names.? LOL 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Love it Scanas. Got to ask though what made you come up with the last 2 names.? LOL 

Mokbel has CAT0 experience but he’s locked up. Daryl can source parts cheap, much desirable skill in yachting. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Who is Paul Heyse?

Warro won't be trying anything dodgy to screw over Gatto

FFS How long have you been sailing in Melbourne?

1- Zac's dad

2-  Mick G will be a DNS. Mick doesn't like being seen hanging around dodgy characters - not good for his image.

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Mokbel has CAT0 experience but he’s locked up. Daryl can source parts cheap, much desirable skill in yachting. 

Big Tony should be out soon due to Ms Gobbo's indiscretions; might even make the Hobart start this year.

Has serious blue water cred. Navigated Aus to Greece a while back?

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Daryl Kerrigan?

image.png.22cb796b562626ff9e0e40de99926d79.png

1 minute ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Try again.

With out doing a quick google search. 

Isn’t this Dale Kerrigan and he is famous for digging a hole ?

As far  as Pual Hayes goes, Pual is one of the Mornington Sailing maffa and a very good sailor and his son Zac is also a very good sailor. 

The one  bonus with Warro coming back into the game is he is going to piss off so many people at the CYC in any boat he is Sailing. 

How would it be if he sailed in the short handed division and took line honours in this boat  and beat the 100 footers ?

I know, Tell him he is dreaming !!!!!

it would put a smile on my face and many others as well. 

Pulpit

• Like 1