Jump to content

Brrrrrrrrrr '19/20


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whats all that white stuff on the boat.......? 

Have you tried Foul Weather Flip Flops?

Not near as cold this morning, only 1 below, (F). But the wind blew like stink yesterday so I get to go re-shovel a lot of what I did yesterday morning. Only now it's a nice wind slab! So I got t

Posted Images

ya, we had a cold front system hit sunday/monday that dropped maybe 10cm, temps down to -16C amped up with breeze...feels like december/january.  temps going to rebound but nothing looks like enough to burn off the snow so looks like winter is here to stay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Plesae try tobe civille.... at leaste when dicusseng weathere....         :)

I'm headed out to shovel right now, there will be no civil thoughts running through my head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmiller said:

I'll start, good chance some records are going to fall after this little system.

Currently -3F, most likely beat that tonight.

20191030_072904-XL.jpg

 

 

It's about 1,400+ degrees in much of Kalifornia right now where a 4" layer of that falling all at once would be more than Welcomed 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

3" last night. That sucks because that means my corn won't dry down anymore and I'll have to pay for drying at the elevator when I harvest.

Stupid weather. Always messing with my plans. Who's in charge of this stuff?

Al Gore?

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

3" last night. That sucks because that means my corn won't dry down anymore and I'll have to pay for drying at the elevator when I harvest.

Stupid weather. Always messing with my plans. Who's in charge of this stuff?

Thanks, I just learned why the field corn harvest is long after the corn stops growing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whereas we're finally coming out of a cold, very windy Winter/Spring in to 24 degrees C on Sunday

Shitty ski season.  Plenty of snow but consistent crap weather meant we couldn't get to it

Colorado in January - here we come!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

It has to get below 16% moisture in order to put it up otherwise it ferments. Fire Ensues.

sounds like there is a window in there B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Pretty picture. Glad I don't live in it full time but its lovely to visit. I sure miss skiing.............

The only way to really enjoy it is to fully immerse yourself. Can you run a snow shovel? It's kind of like a McLeod, only pushing. I'll save some for you!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

It has to get below 16% moisture in order to put it up otherwise it ferments. Fire Ensues.

Sounds like with some careful fire control you'd have self manufacturing Moonshine. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bmiller said:

I'll start, good chance some records are going to fall after this little system.

Currently -3F, most likely beat that tonight.

20191030_072904-XL.jpg

 

 

I see you have an Irish guy who lives on your back porch..... What's his name?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking "Patty O'Furniture"......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I see you have an Irish guy who lives on your back porch..... What's his name?

Patti O Furniture 

FML.   3 seconds after seeing thread and Beat buy almost sn hour ;-(

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Sounds like my wife - anything under 80 F and she's complaining about being cold.

I have the same standard. Air, water, and humidity should all be 80% for me.

78 this morning at dawn, so BRRRRRRR!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not near as cold this morning, only 1 below, (F).

But the wind blew like stink yesterday so I get to go re-shovel a lot of what I did yesterday morning. Only now it's a nice wind slab! So I got that going for me.

My bitching is in jest, I cant think of anywhere else I would want to live.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

6.5" of rain in last 6 days with 1.5 of that in the last hour. I guess drought is over!!

Temp just dropped from 77 to 54 as the cold front came through Brrr Indeed!

Lived that life BM no more for me !! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, vibroman said:

6.5" of rain in last 6 days with 1.5 of that in the last hour. I guess drought is over!!

Temp just dropped from 77 to 54 as the cold front came through Brrr Indeed!

Lived that life BM no more for me !! 

I'll take subzero temps at 6,500 feet in Colorado over a chilly Alabama day.

At least here, we can gear up, have some fun in the snow, get exercise shoveling, and the right gear will leave a fella feeling toasty.

But 'Bama winters, sweet smoking Mary, those were cold. All that humidity, there was no escape, even at 35 degrees it was this oppressive, bone-gnawing cold, nothing to do outside other than walk the dog and rake the leaves for the sixteenth time, with another five leaf roundups before spring came again and the pollen descended on the world like a yellow avalanche. Winter in Bama didn't last long, but there was no escape. The houses were cold, the ducts inevitably moved through unconditioned space. We lived in front of that indoor, unvented gas brick heater.

I worked with a Russian from Kamchatka, from a nuclear town. He told me something like "At least in Russia, the inside of the houses are warm. In Alabama, all I can do is shiver with a blanket over me and try to work."

Given that, I once had the kids in Birmingham when it snowed, we broke the ice in the fountain, bought an old typewriter, ate those little Babybel cheeses wrapped in wax, then did our best to scoop up enough of that thin snow for a few half-hearted snowballs. Great winter memory in 'Bama.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I'll take subzero temps at 6,500 feet in Colorado over a chilly Alabama day.

At least here, we can gear up, have some fun in the snow, get exercise shoveling, and the right gear will leave a fella feeling toasty.

But 'Bama winters, sweet smoking Mary, those were cold. All that humidity, there was no escape, even at 35 degrees it was this oppressive, bone-gnawing cold, nothing to do outside other than walk the dog and rake the leaves for the sixteenth time, with another five leaf roundups before spring came again and the pollen descended on the world like a yellow avalanche. Winter in Bama didn't last long, but there was no escape. The houses were cold, the ducts inevitably moved through unconditioned space. We lived in front of that indoor, unvented gas brick heater.

I worked with a Russian from Kamchatka, from a nuclear town. He told me something like "At least in Russia, the inside of the houses are warm. In Alabama, all I can do is shiver with a blanket over me and try to work."

Given that, I once had the kids in Birmingham when it snowed, we broke the ice in the fountain, bought an old typewriter, ate those little Babybel cheeses wrapped in wax, then did our best to scoop up enough of that thin snow for a few half-hearted snowballs. Great winter memory in 'Bama.

Not sure which part of the state you are referring to but here in LA we have heat pumps, central air and insulation in our houses. Outside it does get chilly and certainly feels way colder than our Canadian/Colorado years but having grown up swimming and sailing the N sea I don't suffer too much from the cold.

Of course the leaf issue is a year round thing with longleaf pine and magnolias but that why we have a large zero turn with Mulching blades on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, bmiller said:

If that pass gets you out to Copper let me know.

Nice ski by the way.

Copper is my favorite in CO. I like A Basin too for its quaintness. I ran over an unexploded avalanche shell there once.

I used to be envious of folks with Volkyls. I was a lowly Rossi and Atomic guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, vibroman said:

Not sure which part of the state you are referring to but here in LA we have heat pumps, central air and insulation in our houses. Outside it does get chilly and certainly feels way colder than our Canadian/Colorado years but having grown up swimming and sailing the N sea I don't suffer too much from the cold.

Of course the leaf issue is a year round thing with longleaf pine and magnolias but that why we have a large zero turn with Mulching blades on it.

Only Tuscatigher on the cold nights when we ran out of the Natural Ice, and wanted the rammer jammer anyway.

The rest of 'em were Tuscaloosa ..

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

Copper is my favorite in CO. I like A Basin too for its quaintness. I ran over an unexploded avalanche shell there once.

I used to be envious of folks with Volkyls. I was a lowly Rossi and Atomic guy.

The geographic reality here is changing the nature of boarding, though not yet skiing. It's insanely expensive to build more roads into the mountains, and pretty much, whatever we got there up through the Eisenhower Administration is all we're going to get. Yet people keep moving here. So the mountain roads are jammed with Subarus and Jeep Rubicons that have never been taken off the pavement. Hickenlooper found a way to privatize some of that mess, so now you can get in and out a bit faster, in a premium lane if you're willing to pay a fee.

But in general, boarders are as cheap as sailors, rather drill a hole in a nickle than buy a washer for a dime. We'll bring our own cheap beer, grill on the tailgate, board out of bounds and hitchhike up Berthoud rather than buy a lift ticket. If the resorts make any money off of boarders, it's probably just enough pay for the advertising budget for the skiiers. So we aren't going to pay premium pricing to get our dented 2004 Toyota Yaris there and back. Thus, we've taken to sailing. Every year, more of us strap on our boards, or even better, just step onto a bindingless noboard, then use 5 meter traction kites when the wind is heavier, or 9 meter inflatable edge kites when the wind is calmer. And then we board land that would otherwise be useless on a board, let alone skis. But all kinds of magic happens when you have a 9 meter Liquid Force taking some 50% of your weight off of the board. Suddenly you have a full-grown adult board, with something like the weight of a kid on it. You can get real speed over ungroomed fields in Rocky Flats, or on BLM land. It can be two feet of half-packed sagebrush, grass and prairie dog holes under 3 inches of packed powder, and you would never know it when you have a kite both making your board a lot lighter and also pulling your ass across the scenery. On the board, it feels like your carving asphalt with some nice soft 70 millimeter Sector 9s on the Snakeboard, inthefuture.com, even though you're actually on top of snow so worthless that someone from Mauna Kea would say "No thanks, Haole, the snow back home is better." But that's what a kite does in a way, it turns cheap fish into sushi, and it can turn sushi into supermodel pussy.

So all these boarders, we wake, we bake, we take care of business, and then our unstructured lives leave us with the day half gone, and an empty pocket. So we take that same fucking kite that we fought with all summer, and we pack into the back seat of the Yaris, remember to throw our board in too this time, maybe a burrito that you'll forget to eat, and a can of coconut water that will make you wish you brought enough for your friends. And you drive all of 15 minutes to whatever unused chunk of unpatrolled land you can find with some decent terrain, and a lack of overhead lines that want to enslave your kite, Charlie Brown style. Rocksteady Eddie once snowkited a golf course, he got in a hour of good riding before the groundskeeper saw the security footage and tried vainly to catch him running through the snow, while Eddie made his getaway with wind power. But most of us don't have those kind of cujones, so we find a chunk of BLM land, or some designated parkland that nobody uses in the winter anyway, or a really perfect location of the time that the FBI raided its own plutonium processing plant. And as long as you didn't lose loved ones to cancer who were downwind, or sidewind, or somewhat upwind of a fire that spread alpha emitters downrange, then you got yourself something close to a guaranteed undisturbed piece of prime snowkiting land.

It didn't happen this way because we wanted to be gnarly and live our lives like a Red Bull commercial. It just happened because we love to ride, and we're broke, and we get depressed when our feet can't move in a nonholonomic sine wave.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the change of seasons. It would be really boring if the weather was always the same.

That said, I could do with less rain than we get - if it always rained late at night it would be good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, austin1972 said:

It has to get below 16% moisture in order to put it up otherwise it ferments. Fire Water Ensues.

ftfy

Quote

I like the change of seasons. It would be really boring if the weather was always the same.

yeah, down here , it's sailing season all year long..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikewof said:

The geographic reality here is changing the nature of boarding, though not yet skiing. It's insanely expensive to build more roads into the mountains, and pretty much, whatever we got there up through the Eisenhower Administration is all we're going to get. Yet people keep moving here. So the mountain roads are jammed with Subarus and Jeep Rubicons that have never been taken off the pavement. Hickenlooper found a way to privatize some of that mess, so now you can get in and out a bit faster, in a premium lane if you're willing to pay a fee.

But in general, boarders are as cheap as sailors, rather drill a hole in a nickle than buy a washer for a dime. We'll bring our own cheap beer, grill on the tailgate, board out of bounds and hitchhike up Berthoud rather than buy a lift ticket. If the resorts make any money off of boarders, it's probably just enough pay for the advertising budget for the skiiers. So we aren't going to pay premium pricing to get our dented 2004 Toyota Yaris there and back. Thus, we've taken to sailing. Every year, more of us strap on our boards, or even better, just step onto a bindingless noboard, then use 5 meter traction kites when the wind is heavier, or 9 meter inflatable edge kites when the wind is calmer. And then we board land that would otherwise be useless on a board, let alone skis. But all kinds of magic happens when you have a 9 meter Liquid Force taking some 50% of your weight off of the board. Suddenly you have a full-grown adult board, with something like the weight of a kid on it. You can get real speed over ungroomed fields in Rocky Flats, or on BLM land. It can be two feet of half-packed sagebrush, grass and prairie dog holes under 3 inches of packed powder, and you would never know it when you have a kite both making your board a lot lighter and also pulling your ass across the scenery. On the board, it feels like your carving asphalt with some nice soft 70 millimeter Sector 9s on the Snakeboard, inthefuture.com, even though you're actually on top of snow so worthless that someone from Mauna Kea would say "No thanks, Haole, the snow back home is better." But that's what a kite does in a way, it turns cheap fish into sushi, and it can turn sushi into supermodel pussy.

So all these boarders, we wake, we bake, we take care of business, and then our unstructured lives leave us with the day half gone, and an empty pocket. So we take that same fucking kite that we fought with all summer, and we pack into the back seat of the Yaris, remember to throw our board in too this time, maybe a burrito that you'll forget to eat, and a can of coconut water that will make you wish you brought enough for your friends. And you drive all of 15 minutes to whatever unused chunk of unpatrolled land you can find with some decent terrain, and a lack of overhead lines that want to enslave your kite, Charlie Brown style. Rocksteady Eddie once snowkited a golf course, he got in a hour of good riding before the groundskeeper saw the security footage and tried vainly to catch him running through the snow, while Eddie made his getaway with wind power. But most of us don't have those kind of cujones, so we find a chunk of BLM land, or some designated parkland that nobody uses in the winter anyway, or a really perfect location of the time that the FBI raided its own plutonium processing plant. And as long as you didn't lose loved ones to cancer who were downwind, or sidewind, or somewhat upwind of a fire that spread alpha emitters downrange, then you got yourself something close to a guaranteed undisturbed piece of prime snowkiting land.

It didn't happen this way because we wanted to be gnarly and live our lives like a Red Bull commercial. It just happened because we love to ride, and we're broke, and we get depressed when our feet can't move in a nonholonomic sine wave.

Jeebus mikey that scenario represents .000001% of the skier/snowboarder population. The ski areas of Colorado are flush with ticket buying boarders. And they have spent a metric shit to on equipment and clothing. The dirt bag of the past is pretty much in the past. I can assure you there is little difference between the demographics of boarders and skiers in these modern times. I gather my info from working the mountain and interacting with the population on the hill regularly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Jeebus mikey that scenario represents .000001% of the skier/snowboarder population. The ski areas of Colorado are flush with ticket buying boarders. And they have spent a metric shit to on equipment and clothing. The dirt bag of the past is pretty much in the past. I can assure you there is little difference between the demographics of boarders and skiers in these modern times. I gather my info from working the mountain and interacting with the population on the hill regularly.

 

From your lips to the snow gods' ears. The longer we get all this beautiful untouched terrain to ourselves, the better. I literally can get to some pretty good powder surfing in a ten minute walk, while it would take me about two hours to drive up to good snowboarding. Soon enough it will look like Huntington Beach in the foothills, with sprockets battling kooks to snake a wave.

And you're right, the "dirtbags" don't go to the Rocky Mountain resorts, so you aren't seeing them, we go to Rocky Flats and Dillon and BLM and try to stay legal. It's part of the reason why so many of us are switching from snowboards to powder surfing, because we don't have the benefits of lifts. As far as I know, noboards aren't even allowed at any of the Colorado resorts. The only resorts that I know who allow noboards are in Utah, California and Washington State, and a couple resorts up in Canada.

Powder surfing isn't much fun in groomed resorts. But unless you have a lot of elevation, it isn't even fun without those kites, you just can't get enough speed on ungroomed, mildly sloped terrain to make it fun unless you have the kite.

I still have my skis, haven't used them in over twenty years. I still have snowboard, haven't used it in about three years. I just prefer to go without bindings. That's just me, I pretty much grew up on the top of a skateboard.

 

BMiller, do you know that I have one of the first snowboards ever made, no bindings? From the 1970s, it even predates a lot of Burton's stuff. I saved up my snow shoveling and lawn-mowing money to buy it when I was a kid. It looks nothing like what you think. I can't even find photos of it on the internet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mikewof said:

 

From your lips to the snow gods' ears. The longer we get all this beautiful untouched terrain to ourselves, the better. I literally can get to some pretty good powder surfing in a ten minute walk, while it would take me about two hours to drive up to good snowboarding. Soon enough it will look like Huntington Beach in the foothills, with sprockets battling kooks to snake a wave.

And you're right, the "dirtbags" don't go to the Rocky Mountain resorts, so you aren't seeing them, we go to Rocky Flats and Dillon and BLM and try to stay legal. It's part of the reason why so many of us are switching from snowboards to powder surfing, because we don't have the benefits of lifts. As far as I know, noboards aren't even allowed at any of the Colorado resorts. The only resorts that I know who allow noboards are in Utah, California and Washington State, and a couple resorts up in Canada.

Powder surfing isn't much fun in groomed resorts. But unless you have a lot of elevation, it isn't even fun without those kites, you just can't get enough speed on ungroomed, mildly sloped terrain to make it fun unless you have the kite.

I still have my skis, haven't used them in over twenty years. I still have snowboard, haven't used it in about three years. I just prefer to go without bindings. That's just me, I pretty much grew up on the top of a skateboard.

 

BMiller, do you know that I have one of the first snowboards ever made, no bindings? From the 1970s, it even predates a lot of Burton's stuff. I saved up my snow shoveling and lawn-mowing money to buy it when I was a kid. It looks nothing like what you think. I can't even find photos of it on the internet.

I'm all for people sliding on snow using whatever conveyance they choose. Doesn't matter if you're on an old pair of skinny skiis strolling along on a gentle trail in the woods or ripping some ridiculous line in AK on 21st centudy gear. As long as you're smiling.

How do you ascend when riding your surfboard? Do you carry snow shoes, drive to the top? Or do you just kite around some frozen body of water?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Jeebus mikey that scenario represents .000001% of the skier/snowboarder population. The ski areas of Colorado are flush with ticket buying boarders. And they have spent a metric shit to on equipment and clothing. The dirt bag of the past is pretty much in the past. I can assure you there is little difference between the demographics of boarders and skiers in these modern times. I gather my info from working the mountain and interacting with the population on the hill regularly.

I've got GS skis, telemark and a snowboard. Mike, you can hit deep pow and still go fast. Try Union Bowl at Copper.

I have a buddy that works at Aspen He gets me passes and puts me up. I buy the flight, food and beer. And yes, there are still ski/board bums. Pretty much every instructor I know is a bum. My buddy that lives in Denver buys an annual Summit pass, which isn't too pricey. Not that it matters since he's loaded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I'm all for people sliding on snow using whatever conveyance they choose. Doesn't matter if you're on an old pair of skinny skiis strolling along on a gentle trail in the woods or ripping some ridiculous line in AK on 21st centudy gear. As long as you're smiling.

How do you ascend when riding your surfboard? Do you carry snow shoes, drive to the top? Or do you just kite around some frozen body of water?

The resorts don't seem to allow boards that have no bindings, and for me, it's more fun anyway to ride some forgotten open space than resorts. I get stressed by crowds and it's hard to carve when you have to worry about getting hit by a speed demon.

In my spots, I just climb to the top, not a big deal, it's tiring, but you get the reward on the way down. I would prefer to ride to the top, using a kite, but my skills with the kite are nowhere near there yet. When the wind is really howling, I don't have the cujones to use the traction kite, and the when the wind is lighter, my traction kite isn't big enough to pull me uphill. I used to just have the smaller traction kite, but then I got a larger Ozone inflatable edge kite. That kite is new, and I don't want to murder it on the exposed branches and scrub, but the inflatable edge kite is easier to launch. I have another three years before I am even competent compared to some of these kids. It's difficult too because it's not like riding at the ocean, the hills cause unpredictable wind windows, they move all over the place.

The boards are different than snow boards though. They have channels and fins on the underdeck, and they're concave on the upper deck. They're designed to give you more than one riding edge, because there often isn't any kind of crust in the snow to support just one edge. You can ride them skateboard style through the really rough stuff, and then on the edge through the firmer stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 9:47 AM, bmiller said:

I'll start, good chance some records are going to fall after this little system.

Currently -3F, most likely beat that tonight.

20191030_072904-XL.jpg

Looks great!  I want to do snow angels.  But I'd do anything to escape this heat.  It's cooler in Baghdad than it is here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bmiller said:

If that pass gets you out to Copper let me know.

Nice ski by the way.

They truly have to be skied to be believed. Both my sons are now hitting me up for finding some used ones for them. My year old Volkl RTM's I let them use last year have been kicked to the curb. Should never have let them ski on the Mantra's! Darn demo bindings :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

so can we, it's only a 2 - 3 hour flight to almost every ski resort in the west...    it takes longer to drive from denver to a ski resort..

Ain't no way you're going to sail and then fly to a ski hill and get in an afternoons skiing on the same day.

Here it's a 10 minute to 1 hour drive - that hour gets you to Whistler which is always rated in the top 2 or 3 mountains in North America - probably in the top 2 or 3 most expensive ones too. :(

Oh, and did I mention golf? You can do that the same day too if so inclined.

There's more than unchanging weather to outdoor activity.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

temps just dropped about 24F here in MD over the last couple hours. was around 70 all day. This sorta deracho thingy blew thru and it's chilly on the backside of it. dont think we've had any serious frost here yet.

Mr Miller, hope to get out to your neck of the woods again soonish. Gettin my rv and jeep ready and packed up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

temps just dropped about 24F here in MD over the last couple hours. was around 70 all day. This sorta deracho thingy blew thru and it's chilly on the backside of it. dont think we've had any serious frost here yet.

Mr Miller, hope to get out to your neck of the woods again soonish. Gettin my rv and jeep ready and packed up.

Great, we need to make someone's turns again. Monarch opened today, earliest since 1969, all natural.

Orientation at Copper this weekend, will get up to date info on opening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 7:41 AM, chester said:

shut up jeff...you and woody are barred from these threads.

Hay I'm suffering too

Earley morning ride had to sleeve up

Suffering now on way back

Burrrrrr/HeatStroke

FB_IMG_1572630628348.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chester said:

careful woodrow or i'll show up with my camper and park in yer driveway!

RU Republican ???

We are over limit on homeless Democrats allready 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chester said:

careful woodrow or i'll show up with my camper and park in yer driveway!

You don't have to limit yourself to his driveway. The good people of San Diego pay damn good tax money for people to live for free in their parks. I know, I "camped" waterside, with a shitter and trash collection. All on woodies dime.

THANKS woody!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bmiller said:
1 hour ago, chester said:

careful woodrow or i'll show up with my camper and park in yer driveway!

You don't have to limit yourself to his driveway. The good people of San Diego pay damn good tax money for people to live for free in their parks. I know, I "camped" waterside, with a shitter and trash collection. All on woodies dime.

THANKS woody!

An alle the racoones you cane eate!!!!                       :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Raced today.  It was in the 90s.  Fuck it was hot and humid at the dock.  But as soon as we got out on the water, it was magical.  Steady breeze - 12ish kts all day.  Got 4 races in.  Stunning.

You poore poore thinge, sorrey wase so hotte.                            :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bmiller said:

You don't have to limit yourself to his driveway. The good people of San Diego pay damn good tax money for people to live for free in their parks. I know, I "camped" waterside, with a shitter and trash collection. All on woodies dime.

THANKS woody!

alright!

January 2021, woodmiester i'll be there to avail myself of sandiegan hospitality :D, i'll even buy you lunch...drift down to san felipe for a month or two...

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, chester said:

alright!

January 2021, woodmiester i'll be there to avail myself of sandiegan hospitality :D, i'll even buy you lunch...drift down to san felipe for a month or two...

I have a Big (for here) Back Yard ........ with Raccoon hookups

only catch tou must take a HEAVY DUTY cardboard box to Fiesta Island and Toss on open fire

Play Music Loud to cover the scratching and Screaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dyslexic dog said:

We had weather here today, the wind blew, the clouds came, and they pissed on me. Ah, but there is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate attire.  

On the other hand....... The times they are a changing.

 

I totally agree, use that line on my wife regularly.

But it is fun to yap about it. And if the opportunity to yank woodies chain comes along with it, well.........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Anny yankeng needes couguares ore skankes, an lottes photoes of them.                            :)

Pix or it never .....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 8:40 AM, bmiller said:

Great, we need to make someone's turns again. Monarch opened today, earliest since 1969, all natural.

Orientation at Copper this weekend, will get up to date info on opening.

My buddy plans to ski the backcountry at Jones Pass, enlisted my help to get him there with my old Polaris snowmobile. 

I tend to prefer taking the sled through BLM land and the vally, the idea of triggering an avalanche at 12,000 feet isn't too appealing. But without risk there is no adventure. I know you ride the backcountry on your dirt bikes, do you ever do it on a sled?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mikewof said:

My buddy plans to ski the backcountry at Jones Pass, enlisted my help to get him there with my old Polaris snowmobile. 

I tend to prefer taking the sled through BLM land and the vally, the idea of triggering an avalanche at 12,000 feet isn't too appealing. But without risk there is no adventure. I know you ride the backcountry on your dirt bikes, do you ever do it on a sled?

Occasionally, most of my winter travel is on skis.

Have you taken any avalanche courses? If not I strongly suggest going to https://avalanche.state.co.us/

and click on the education tab, it could save your life. While you're there check out the forecast tab.

Yes life is risky, but only a fool will not mitigate the risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 3:18 PM, chester said:

alright!

January 2021, woodmiester i'll be there to avail myself of sandiegan hospitality :D, i'll even buy you lunch...drift down to san felipe for a month or two...

In my experience, Woody won't let you pay..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Occasionally, most of my winter travel is on skis.

Have you taken any avalanche courses? If not I strongly suggest going to https://avalanche.state.co.us/

and click on the education tab, it could save your life. While you're there check out the forecast tab.

Yes life is risky, but only a fool will not mitigate the risk.

I took a course, and we donate to the CAIC with the hut sleds. It was useful in knowing what to avoid and what line to travel. But I would rather just avoid unstable snow and the balloon backpack altogether.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I took a course, and we donate to the CAIC with the hut sleds. It was useful in knowing what to avoid and what line to travel. But I would rather just avoid unstable snow and the balloon backpack altogether.

 

That's the whole idea, avoid the bad shit. As opposed to "I think it's stable enough to ski".

I doubt there's enough consistent up there right now to sled on anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

That's the whole idea, avoid the bad shit. As opposed to "I think it's stable enough to ski".

I doubt there's enough consistent up there right now to sled on anyway.

I'm going to milk what's left of this warm weather, no sledding until December or January.

Some of these young punks, they say things like "I can ski that back bowl now because I bought the air bag and the transponder." Those are the last resort when you're being chased by an avalanche, not a get-out-of-wet-cement free card.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping for at least one severe storm this winter, the kind that shuts down even the plows ... It's like living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland for a day or two. The snowmobile races down the closed highway are incredible and epic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It finally dropped to plus 8 degrees here Wednesday night, but no snow yet that has stuck. Last year in central Minnesota we had snow in mid October.

We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave...

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 degrees this morning with an inch of snow on the ground.  West shore of Lake Michigan.  Guess I’m done cutting grass for the year

Link to post
Share on other sites

Early cold increases the chance  of a "river run" . 25 mile creek that only freezes over with 5F for 4 days in a row. Lots of shallows followed by deep cold wet holes. Kids sized ATVs loaded with adults and adult beverages.  We bring ropes to rescue the sinkers. Share libations with skiers, bikers, woodcutters amd fellow travellers.

Link to post
Share on other sites