Jump to content

Wisker pole and strut mast brackets?


Recommended Posts

 

I  got my spinnaker pole stored on a track forward on the mast.

For Christmas, I want a Wisker Pole. Since the Strut Bracket on the Spinnaker, the track is in use and I need to find a solution when using the Wisker Pole. Some would just take off the Spinnaker Pole but I would like to keep that where it is.

You can get something called “Reaching Strut Mast Brackets”. One bracket on each side of the mast should do. Then I can easily plug in the Wisker Pole. Before the brackets are fitted, I will find the correct height by testing it out first by first using the Spinnaker track bracket.

My mast is well maintained, but getting old. No sign of damage, but sign of use and age. Two questions:

a)       Is fixed Reaching strut Mast Brackets a good idea?

b)       Will it weaken the mast? I don’t like drilling more holes in mast and weaken the aluminium mast that has served me well in all these years.

http://rig-rite.com/Spars/Spinnaker_Poles/Reaching_Strut_Mast_Fittings.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would help to know what kind of boat we are talking about.  And what the mast is, in terms of wall thickness and such. A sleeve or inner reinforcement might allay your concerns about adding rivet holes. Reaching struts (and the masts they’re rigged to) take a lot of pressure, so the brackets will likely hold up pretty well.  The whisker pole might turn into a pretzel before anything happens to the bracket.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

any reason you don't put a good old ring with spring pin on the mast track and use that?

For anything less than about 40ft, most reaching strut attachments are just fixed rings on the sides of the mast, but I'd be wary of using that arrangement for a whisker pole - you won't be able to ease the pole forward without causing problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mogle said:

 

I  got my spinnaker pole stored on a track forward on the mast.

For Christmas, I want a Wisker Pole. Since the Strut Bracket on the Spinnaker, the track is in use and I need to find a solution when using the Wisker Pole. Some would just take off the Spinnaker Pole but I would like to keep that where it is.

You can get something called “Reaching Strut Mast Brackets”. One bracket on each side of the mast should do. Then I can easily plug in the Wisker Pole. Before the brackets are fitted, I will find the correct height by testing it out first by first using the Spinnaker track bracket.

 

This is exactly how my boat is set up.  Works well, but I'm going to change it because I never use the spinnaker pole and I'd rather have the whisker pole stored on the mast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 4:54 AM, MaxDog said:

This is exactly how my boat is set up.  Works well, but I'm going to change it because I never use the spinnaker pole and I'd rather have the whisker pole stored on the mast.

The boat is a Grand Soleil 42, with Sparcraft mast. Got a long spinnaker track on the mast.

Interesting that you would keep the whisker pole on the track. If that is the case, why fit the two fittings on the mast?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mogle said:

The boat is a Grand Soleil 42, with Sparcraft mast. Got a long spinnaker track on the mast.

Interesting that you would keep the whisker pole on the track. If that is the case, why fit the two fittings on the mast?

 

Easier to secure the pole you aren't using to the deck and use the track, versus mounting new hardware on the mast. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 12:19 PM, Mogle said:

The boat is a Grand Soleil 42, with Sparcraft mast. Got a long spinnaker track on the mast.

Interesting that you would keep the whisker pole on the track. If that is the case, why fit the two fittings on the mast?

 

The two mast fittings were originally installed for the reaching strut (and the whisker pole).  The strut and whisker pole are stored on the deck, with the spin pole stored on the mast track.  The thing is, I never use the spin pole or reaching strut.  I don't even own a symmetrical spinnaker sail.  So the plan is to get rid of the spin pole and strut and to store the whisker pole on the mast in place of the spin pole.  This will clean up my decks and make deploying the whisker pole a bit easier.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MaxDog said:

The two mast fittings were originally installed for the reaching strut (and the whisker pole).  The strut and whisker pole are stored on the deck, with the spin pole stored on the mast track.  The thing is, I never use the spin pole or reaching strut.  I don't even own a symmetrical spinnaker sail.  So the plan is to get rid of the spin pole and strut and to store the whisker pole on the mast in place of the spin pole.  This will clean up my decks and make deploying the whisker pole a bit easier.    

If you are not using the spinnaker pole, then replace it with the Whisker Pole.

I am using the Spinnaker pole now and then. Sailing mostly short-handed, so the conditions need to be good before I am setting a 150 m2 spinnaker with my wife as crew.

My genoa is 140% overlapping. With the right setting and conditions, I often sail faster than similar boats under spinnaker. Except for not the same fun-factor. 

There is one other factor why I want the mast fitting for the whisper pole. With 140% overlapping, I need to he whisper pole to point backwards of the mast. I have only tried with the spinnaker pole, it should be the same with a whisper pool. With the pole fitted to the spinnaker track, I cannot get the pole enough pointing backwards. The fitting at the track will not allow me. With a fitting on the mast, I should get the angle I want. With the pole set correctly I don't think there should be too much pressure at the mast. When things go wrong or with wind gusts, there might be some pressure at the mast fitting or spinnaker track. 

How long is your reaching strut? Do you use it on a staysail?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 7:08 PM, ctutmark said:

Easier to secure the pole you aren't using to the deck and use the track, versus mounting new hardware on the mast. 

I will disagree with you there. With the end of the pole secured to the mast, I just need someone to hoist the end up, while I secure or control the tip of the mast before I clip it in the place. Most of the time I am able to do both operations on my own. I got an old, heavy aluminium spinnaker pole. It might just be what you are used too. I would rather do that, then unclip it and secure it on the foredeck in rough seas. 

You might be talking about installing the spinnaker track on the mast. On important point there, if you install the track, make it long enough. A long track is very useful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...