Sailing from LA to SF, Solo w/ Little Experience

Hello All,

I’m setting sail from Marina del Rey to Half Moon Bay tomorrow with very little sailing experience (a decent bit of knowledge though) and zero offshore boating experience with the exception of a jet-ski. I wanted to let you all chime in, tell me I’m retarded, and get some tips for the sail. I also wanted to know if it would be idiotic to head way offshore and hook back in to avoid constant tacking. My newly purchased boat is a cold molded Peterson Half Tonner w/ an electric inboard and no solar. Using iPad chart plotter as well. 

Figure you guys can setup a betting pool on whether I end up dead, run aground, etc as well.

- FishFood

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

towed him in this morning , seems like a good Kid took him to Linda's for breakfast now going to try to sort him out with an old main you can never have too much good karma in the bank shit

I just talk to FF glad he gave me a call, very happy he and the boat are safe I plan on going to help him tomorrow and bring him back to Santa Cruz for a Thanksgiving dinner. 

Somebody is bored - whose sock is this?

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, FishFood said:

I mean, I have an open transom so I could probably haul it into the cockpit. The answer is now yes. Thanks for the idea, good thinking.

Nice.  That way you can shove it halfway off the transom and gun it in case the wind ever points the wrong way and your electric inboard is tapped out.  Speaking of which did you pack the bad weather repellent?  

God will provide the winds I need to get where I am headed. Have you witnessed the power of prayer? Clearly not you heathen. But I figure I’ll be able to adjust to the winds and call TowBoatUS if it’s looking like I’m screwed. 

40 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Hello All,

I’m setting sail from Marina del Rey to Half Moon Bay tomorrow with very little sailing experience (a decent bit of knowledge though) and zero offshore boating experience with the exception of a jet-ski. I wanted to let you all chime in, tell me I’m retarded, and get some tips for the sail. I also wanted to know if it would be idiotic to head way offshore and hook back in to avoid constant tacking. My newly purchased boat is a cold molded Peterson Half Tonner w/ an electric inboard and no solar. Using iPad chart plotter as well. 

Figure you guys can setup a betting pool on whether I end up dead, run aground, etc as well.

- FishFood

If you're going by Halfmoon Bay, you should have turned right about 650 miles back.

vF9E9JH.jpg

Jesus will provide all the wifi you could ever need.

Try to round Pt. Dume just after midnight. Have a couple of reefs in and all your foulies on. The weather there can be fierce. After that, the trip is a piece of cake. Probably do it with just one tack out and back. I normally get lots of sleep on the trip up to SF since after the breakwater at MDR there are no islands, shipping or oil platforms to worry about. I always take my jetski because It allows me to put the boat on autopilot, still make some miles, while I shoot into places like Port San Luis on the ski to grab a taco and a beer. HAVE FUN!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Keith said:

Jesus will provide all the wifi you could ever need.

You’re right.

8 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Try to round Pt. Dume just after midnight. Have a couple of reefs in and all your foulies on. The weather there can be fierce. After that, the trip is a piece of cake. Probably do it with just one tack out and back. I normally get lots of sleep on the trip up to SF since after the breakwater at MDR there are no islands, shipping or oil platforms to worry about. I always take my jetski because It allows me to put the boat on autopilot, still make some miles, while I shoot into places like Port San Luis on the ski to grab a taco and a beer. HAVE FUN!

I didn’t have an address to get gear shipped to in Marina del Rey and West Marine just seemed like a ripoff so I brought my snowboarding pants and a rain coat as foulies. I actually have my main reefed before I’ve even left the docks as I plan to increase the canvas as I get used to the boat and know wtf I’m doing a little better. I'm a little autistic so bear with me. Now I have to plot out my taco and beer runs...

Looks like an excellent bay for lawn darting, a 6lb danforth anchor will help keep you bow to the surf, but that's a bit of a cheat.

Bonus points if you can do it "free" as in no assistance or passed out.

Riding your JetSki with a pile of jerry cans would be safer. 

Does your decent amount of knowledge include the use of an epirb? Electric inboard and iPad. No way to charge the batteries. Electricity either works or it doesn’t. Considering you are from Cali you should know about not having electricity in your house. Not having charting and no motor is crazy dangerous for the most experienced sailor.

I almost forgot your choice of boat. 1/2 ton old Peterson IOR racing boats a real bitch to sail in a breeze with crew. Without you are pretty much screwed. 

Your death may make the front page of SA. That’s the only news worthy aspect of this discussion.

11 hours ago, VWAP said:

Make sure you wear a life jacket

Boobs_39e492_825356.jpg

Wow anutter down vote  firefly-dc not yer type 

twat a sad old little sock 

• Downvote 1
40 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Is he dead yet? Either the OP or VWAP, I'm open.

It has been only a day. That puts them just outside the MDR breakwater...becalmed with dead battery. Probably anchored to jetski in for a Happy Meal.

You'll do just fine, FishFood!

You are making one of the easiest passages on the planet at the most favorable time of year. I wouldn't burden yourself with food or clothing to keep you warm and dry. There's plenty of easy-to-enter harbors along the way.

Your cell phone should supply all the navigation you need. No need to recharge it along the way. It should work fine up to 200 miles offshore, should you accidentally find yourself out that far. If you need assistance, just call 911 and they will know what to do. No need to learn fancy French words like "M'aidez". After calling 911 on your cell, just tell them you're not quite sure where you are but west of California, anyway. And that you're sinking. They will take it from there.

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Just stay close to shore.

Problematic without an engine. When wind goes calm the current will set them on the rocks. I would be 5 miles offshore if no engine and calm was likely. 

A few years ago I was in fog near Pt Fermin.  I had just passed the LA harbor entrance when a guy in an RIB came up alongside me, asking if he could follow me to Catalina.  Maybe this was Fishfood before he got an iPad?

I told him he could follow me but I was heading to Smugglers at Santa Cruz Island, so it might not work out so well.  

On a hazy day years ago, we were about 2 miles off Block Island heading to Newport after Race Week and a guy with a family of four in a 24' runabout comes speeding up to us and asks "Which Way to Nantucket?" - which was well over the horizon.  Somebody went down below and laid out the compass course and came back up with a number.  

The guy says "I don't have a compass, just point!"  

We all kept our hands in our pockets until he just slammed his throttle full on and headed off ... aiming about 10° too far south.  

Maybe he got lucky.

Ok, don't have much cell phone battery. Quick update. More tonight when I get to Morro Bay, have to do that under sail... No good winds Sunday and Monday but I made it to Potato Harbor at SC island and was able to get in under sail only. Stayed till Tuesday morning as I had no rest the night before. So far I have drifted into an oil rig after dosing off, came within 50 ft of being smashed by a freighter after dosing off, have a line tangled in my prop because one of my fucking running stays came loose, had the coast guard send NPS on SC island to hunt me down, have had 7 throw up sessions, and I have no electricity due to a dead battery and no recharge system. Probably why I almost got hit, no lights. More to come later. Gotta go throw up and tack back off the coast. I'm just north of Arlight, 10 miles offshore. 

Edit: Got there Tuesday, left Wednesday.

Also, I have no autopilot or charts now because my iPad died and my phone is in ultra power saving mode which limits my apps. Navigating via sight and google maps. 

Edit: Keep remembering things. My main is torn to shreds and my Tuff Luff system broke. Under sail with only a jerry rigged jib. Wish me luck! 

5 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Yah but are you having fun?

Yep! Anyone in Morro Bay that can help me dock at the T-piers? I have to do it under sail and I'm not sure it will be too easy solo. Hopefully I can flag down a bystander at worst.

16 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Yep! Anyone in Morro Bay that can help me dock at the T-piers? I have to do it under sail and I'm not sure it will be too easy solo. Hopefully I can flag down a bystander at worst.

What could go wrong? Use a midship line to dock solo

Did you see a half submerged wood cat rise yo the surface?:D

1 hour ago, FishFood said:

Ok, don't have much cell phone battery. Quick update. More tonight when I get to Morro Bay, have to do that under sail... No good winds Sunday and Monday but I made it to Potato Harbor at SC island and was able to get in under sail only. Stayed till Tuesday morning as I had no rest the night before. So far I have drifted into an oil rig after dosing off, came within 50 ft of being smashed by a freighter after dosing off, have a line tangled in my prop because one of my fucking running stays came loose, had the coast guard send NPS on SC island to hunt me down, have had 7 throw up sessions, and I have no electricity due to a dead battery and no recharge system. Probably why I almost got hit, no lights. More to come later. Gotta go throw up and tack back off the coast. I'm just north of Arlight, 10 miles offshore. 

Edit: Got there Tuesday, left Wednesday.

1 hour ago, FishFood said:

Also, I have no autopilot or charts now because my iPad died and my phone is in ultra power saving mode which limits my apps. Navigating via sight and google maps. 

Edit: Keep remembering things. My main is torn to shreds and my Tuff Luff system broke. Under sail with only a jerry rigged jib. Wish me luck! 

You are still doing way better than I would have expected tbh! At least you got around conception ok

Good luck (you are gonna need it)

3 hours ago, FishFood said:

Heck...that's what the beach is for.  Just look for a sandy spot.

try this method

Tie the jetski to the side of your boat, hit the throttle and jump back aboard and steer. How hard can it be?

I see a big rock you steer towards, lot's of room to tack inside, a large anchorage and some cleat infested docks.

2 hours ago, alctel said:

I actually loved Morro Bay when I was there. Large free anchorage, dinghy docks everywhere, very friendly people and sea otters!

How did you cook them? I hear they are pretty salty.

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

How did you cook them? I hear they are pretty salty.

You cook them just like Vancouver Island Marmot, marinate then on the grill...

Otter - Exotic BBQ

Or an omelette.http://www.montanaoutdoor.com/2015/02/tantalize-your-tastebuds-with-a-river-otter-recipe/

Maybe Fishfood didn't make it in to Morro Bay last night?  He had quite a ways to go.  Windy.com showed pretty light NW winds, ideal for getting up the coast burning dead dinosaurs, but sailing?  Long tacks just to keep even with the set of the current I suppose, especially with just a headsail.   Although IME windy.com often differs from observed conditions, so who knows.  It's predicting more wind today. 

Almost there. Had no wind last night and was trying to stay within 20 miles of shore bc of no vhf, makes for inefficient sailing. Hoping another 2 hours max. About 10 miles from Morro with a good angle on good winds. I swear I'm real and yes the boat is Scorpion. 

6 minutes ago, Pro looper said:

When you get to Santa cruz if you stop I can offer a slip at No charge for a rest and depending on sail plan

I might also be able to help out on some sails 

Mario

buy an ad

21 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Hey!  Now I gotta drive my laser to Morro Bay? Damn it - wait up!

I'd honestly attempt that sail. Bring it on up and we'll throw this boat on mooring.

7 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Still trying to figure out if this is a troll...  if not, I think the screws have come loose and the marbles are probably in the bilge.

After I successfully come into Morro and dock under sail, you'll see the truth. Perhaps I'm not crazy or stupid but have come to my wits end with regards to life. The reward outweighed risk for me. Here is my seasick self and current location. Wish me luck. Screenshot_20191108-124032_Maps.thumb.jpg.4ce31dbd300807e3611d462ed5e05da7.jpg20191108_121851.thumb.jpg.e9cd4227ddd3bd162c927810cac7c02a.jpg

• Like 1

Ok we have the web cams ready...wind in the harbor, surf is small. Marked channel not shown on charts due to shifting position. Starbucks is at least 10 blocks from the water.

Morro Bay Cam

Webcam | Morro Bay Yacht Club

Morro Bay Webcam

and if you miss...

Morro Bay California Live Webcam, Located North Side of Morro Rock

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Still trying to figure out if this is a troll...  if not, I think the screws have come loose and the marbles are probably in the bilge.

I am now thinking this is not a troll. This is SA so the maxim that the most looney explanation is probably the correct one prevails: Another basement dwelling lunatic has put to sea.

Honestly though, If you indeed make it to Morro Bay then Good on Ya! Well done.

Docked at Morro Bay. Got all the way to the city piers and asked for help at the docks. They came out in the harbor patrolin boat to help tuck me inside the t pier.  Better pictures to come when I don't forget to bring my iPad with me to charge at the coffee shop. Need to stay away from my boat for at least a couple hours lol. Land feels great. Hot food, even better. Idk why my pics are uploading sideways, will get better ones uploaded tomorrow when I'm not half dead and wobbling around shore with my sea legs. 20191108_145824.thumb.jpg.cbce4754284505482b0e30fe9e2315fc.jpg20191108_134613.thumb.jpg.20f64632627913d96bba8c5e48c54689.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, El Boracho said:

I am now thinking this is not a troll. This is SA so the maxim that the most looney explanation is probably the correct one prevails: Another basement dwelling lunatic has put to sea.

Honestly though, If you indeed make it to Morro Bay then Good on Ya! Well done.

Made it in under sail. Not so scary since I figure I can sing the State Farm jingle and be alright in the case I wreck. What's an increase in insurance premiums when you no longer have a boat?

3 hours ago, Pro looper said:

not looking to sell anything just trying to help out another sailor it's just the way I am

Mario.

That would be Awesome, Mario. I need a place to stop along the way after realizing how draining this is. I'll send you a PM.

56 minutes ago, Pokey uh da LBC said:

I'm with ya Boracho. Hate to admit it, but I was checking those Morro Bay cams hoping to see him round the corner.

You guys didn't see me?!?! I have the harbor patrol and CG come out to help me dock. Piers were too tall to do it solo and under sail.