Sailing from LA to SF, Solo w/ Little Experience

1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:

Few things are more pathetic than a young dude trying to grow facial hair.

30 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Again, not always serious and it's your opinion whether or not to joke about such things. Not everyone agrees. Have a good day. 

Liking it. Have yet to shave as my facial hair is slow growing, will be looking the part.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

towed him in this morning , seems like a good Kid took him to Linda's for breakfast now going to try to sort him out with an old main you can never have too much good karma in the bank shit

I just talk to FF glad he gave me a call, very happy he and the boat are safe I plan on going to help him tomorrow and bring him back to Santa Cruz for a Thanksgiving dinner. 

Somebody is bored - whose sock is this?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, stinky said:

@Pro looper@FishFood, you two @ Bradys tonight?

Sitting on my boat reading Bob Perry’s book on design. Can’t speak for PL.

6 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Check out the local Happy Hours.

Great finger food!

Have been hitting some local spots, good stuff. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, FishFood said:

FF, if you're looking for a Marina to go on the hard with a cat, Loch Lommond Marina has some extensive experience with cats (of all sizes and designs, too). Maybe check them out. They're in San Rafael.

Check out the local Happy Hours.

Great finger food! 

This is a meta-reference to Hotrod James Lane's adventure designing and building a train-wreck catamaran in a San Rafael grocery market parking lot. Cannibalism worked its way into this weird and sad story.

20 hours ago, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

That said ... one other tip.   Making cavalier statements about Harbor Patrols or Coasties saving your noobie ass really chaps some of our hides.    Whether you know it or not .... all too often those men and women have to put their lives on the lines for knuckleheads that have put themselves in harms way .   

Just say'in.

Ah that venerable chestnut rears its ugly head once again.  I have news for you Iggy, that's their job.  It's a voluntary thing, if they don't want to save hapless idiots, then they don't sign up.  I spent some time in the business of saving lives.  Like most people, I did it because it is very gratifying, exciting, meaningful, honest work, among other things.  And gasp!!!, sometimes it's even dangerous, that's part of the attraction too.  Most of the people I knew in the business did it for the same reasons.   Let me use this analogy for you.  When you join the military, it isn't to fight in the war you chose.  You go where you are told.  Whether you died defending the world from(insert the name of the evil totalitarian dictator of your choice here) or you died fighting in the (insert the name of whatever useless war of your choice here) , you still get a medal, the flag, the bugler playing taps, and all of the trimmings.  Been there, done that too, except for the fighting and the dying part.   I wouldn't have raised my right hand if I hadn't considered that.  That's how it works.  Auto insurance pays even if you were stupid.  Life insurance pays even if you kill yourself (usually after a 1-2 year exclusionary period).  Emergency rooms  are mandated by law to save your miserable life whether you did something stupid or not, and whether you can pay for the treatment or not.  That's what a real society does, not a society of self centered, righteous pricks.  In my rather conservative estimate based on my experience, approximately 87.9% of the population has very little common sense.  So suck it up buttercup, you and all of the other knuckleheads that trot out that tired argument every time some fool attempts something stupid.  Or just use lots of Chapstick on you tired old hide.  'There but for the grace of Dog go I', or words to that effect.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, FishFood said:

Sitting on my boat reading Bob Perry’s book on design. Can’t speak for PL.

Good place to read some SC sailing history while you are there.

" Out of money after building the boat, Lee relied on his TransPac crew, which included Kilpatrick, Wahle, Jack Halterman, Rob Wade, Bob Larson, Phil Vandenberg and navigator Don Snyder, to help out Each took on a job and they all helped shake the boat down with some coastal races off the Golden Gate. They blew up gear and fixed it. They learned how to sail when the boat ran over one wave and down into the next, covering the foredeck with a couple feet of water. ”We were all pretty scared at first,” recalls Vandenberg. “The bow would be three feet underwater but the boat didn’t slow down or load up and the speedometer didn’t go down. After awhile, we’d just shrug our shoulders and keep going.” Once Vandenberg was on the bow dropping the blooper when a wave came along and washed him down the forward hatch along with several hundred gallons of water. Left hanging upside down and from his safety harness, Vandenberg dubbed this experience “the Cosmic Flush.” "

http://www.fastisfun.com/wizwisdom/magicbus.html

" When asked about his old moniker “The Wizard,” Lee shrugs it off, saying he thinks it was just something that people liked the sound of. Rodgers, however, recalls specific origins: he says Lee would regularly wear a long robe with stars on it and a pointed wizard hat at each boat-hull launch. With his spectacles and the aura of mystique around his boat designs’ incredible speed, the characterization of a wizard was an appropriate fit. "

https://www.santacruzwaves.com/2018/03/magic-on-the-water/

• Like 1

Back underway with great sailing winds all day and an almost perfect fitting kevlar racing main from @Pro looper. Will probably be able to run off this for quite a while, extremely thankful. Even came along side me in a RIB to give me some pointers as I sailed on out of Santa Cruz. One of the best experiences of this entire trip and I'm on a much better track with regards to my sailing education because of it.

Shout out to the guys on the beach above the jetty fist pumping and screaming "San Francisco!".

Currently cruising along at around 5-6 knots and getting very tipsy, great fun and my cabin is a mess again. Kinda don't care this time around as I'm too happy. Will certainly remember to tidy up better next time.

Should be there by tomorrow.

• Like 5
On 11/16/2019 at 8:15 AM, Norse Horse said:

Mr Peterson had no money at one point.

"But as the San Diego Yachting Cup approached, Peterson borrowed money from his grandmother to make his dream real. He entered an agreement with Shelter Island boat builder Carl Eichenlaub to construct his boat. Every corner that could be cut was chain-sawed. To save money, Eichenlaub allowed Peterson to participate in the building of Ganbare. To save even more money, Peterson was allowed to move into a small trailer in the Eichenlaub boatyard."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-peterson-yacht-designer-0704-story.html

I remember an addendum to that story from BITD.

Peterson originally wanted to do a Two Tonner but when he discovered what they cost he dialed it back to a One Ton.

He was still taken aback by the cost and asked Eichenlaub "why so much"?

"Doors & drawers son" was the response.

Peterson's response to that was the "stripped out" race boat concept that became the norm.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Uh, yeah we mentioned that...

Reef?

Got one in, didn't have my second line ran through. Should be ok, just heeling over at 30°, destroying my cabin and gaining some confidence. Tying into my diy safety harness now. This is fun at least! Main fuse blew and didn't have time to track it down so I have no electronics again. Motor working and charged though!

This is making me appreciate all the prior comments, jibbing the boat in light winds was not the same as sailing in anything above 7knts.

If you all want to laugh, I forgot I had a beer can full of piss and a clogged head and my boat has tossed that all around. Luckily my bottle of murphys wood cleaner came loose and splashed all around to kinda neutralize the smell.

Sailing! Yay!

16 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Uh, yeah we mentioned that...

Reef?

Got one in, didn't have my second line ran through. Should be ok, just heeling over at 30°, destroying my cabin and gaining some confidence. Tying into my diy safety harness now. This is fun at least! Main fuse blew and didn't have time to track it down so I have no electronics again. Motor working and charged though!

This is making me appreciate all the prior comments, jibbing the boat in light winds was not the same as sailing in anything above 7knts.

If you all want to laugh, I forgot I had a beer can full of piss and a clogged head and my boat has tossed that all around. Luckily my bottle of murphys wood cleaner came loose and splashed all around to kinda neutralize the smell.

Sailing! Yay!

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

That's perfect, short hoist winter main. First reef built in.

That's with the first reef in already! Knew this would be too much under full canvas for one person, even with a #2 headsail. Fully hoisted it is quite literally a perfect fit. Guess J/100 mainsails are a match for my rig.

1 hour ago, breezetrees said:

Pretty boat.  Looked like a lovely day for a sail.  

20191117_115110.jpg

20191117_115736.jpg

20191117_115751.jpg

20191117_120112.jpg

Thanks for the pics! It was an excellent day for a sail.

About halfway there, largely uneventful other than my boat being covered in human waste and citrus wood cleaner. Been amazing heeling way over, spreading out across my cockpit and watching the stars. Currently tacking ~ 15 miles off shore to get a nice angle on Half Moon and be able to get some rest. A little risky without the VHF and likelihood of losing service but I think all should be ok. If I don't post an update by like 8am, I'm probably not alright.

"Hello?!" "ANYBODY IN THERE?!?"

Yelled the Mr. Fisherman inquiring about the drifting sailboat.

"Yup! Just waiting for wind!"

"Oh ok!" *Thinking to himself 'Turn on the fucking motor yah dummy'*

Who the hell turned the wind off at 3am when I was literally 5 miles out. Scared to test the boundaries of my range again with this sketchy entrance (two reefs). Wouldn't be fun if my motor shut off there.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, FishFood said:

"Hello?!" "ANYBODY IN THERE?!?"

Yelled the Mr. Fisherman inquiring about the drifting sailboat.

"Yup! Just waiting for wind!"

"Oh ok!" *Thinking to himself 'Turn on the fucking motor yah dummy'*

Who the hell turned the wind off at 3am when I was literally 5 miles out. Scared to test the boundaries of my range again with this sketchy entrance (two reefs). Wouldn't be fun if my motor shut off there.

Hydroptere the catamaran is out there too, look for them coming in...

Fisherman could smell that citrus melange from a half mile off.

Calm before the storm?

Why I Sail, by Webb...https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/2019/11/08/#sail-webb-chiles

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Hydroptere the catamaran is out there too, look for them coming in...

Fisherman could smell that citrus melange from a half mile off.

Calm before the storm?

Why I Sail, by Webb...https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/2019/11/08/#sail-webb-chiles

What... Hydroptere. Did I beat them here? 

Anchor is set and the trip is over!

Thanks to all but mostly thanks to pro looper. 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, FishFood said:

That's with the first reef in already! Knew this would be too much under full canvas for one person, even with a #2 headsail. Fully hoisted it is quite literally a perfect fit. Guess J/100 mainsails are a match for my rig.

That was tied in very neatly.

3 minutes ago, FishFood said:

What... Hydroptere. Did I beat them here? 

Anchor is set and the trip is over!

Thanks to all but mostly thanks to pro looper. 

Congratulations on successfully surviving your youthful immortality.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That was tied in very neatly.

Pro looper.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Congratulations on successfully surviving your youthful immortality.

Feels good to solidify those feelings, currently working on my course for a Cape Horn rounding. (Sarcasm)

On 11/16/2019 at 11:06 AM, FishFood said:

This day has really helped to brighten up my mood and get me back in the right mind set. Looking forward to rounding Golden Gate and finishing in Half Moon Bay. Have to reach SF so you pricks can't say I didn't sail the whole thing.

Was the Golden Gate Bridge an impressive sight? Or did you somehow miss that treat on your way into Half Moon Bay? 

2 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Was the Golden Gate Bridge an impressive sight? Or did you somehow miss that treat on your way into Half Moon Bay? 

I don't think I fully conveyed that I was going to pass Half Moon and come back. My batteries started to read around 50% on my motor and the wind was kicking up so I decided against it and just stopped in Half Moon.

55 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

This has turned out to be pretty cool.

Well done kid.

Are you anchored in Half Moon Bay or somewhere in the vast reaches of S F Bay? 

Thanks! Currently on anchor in Half Moon Bay, might do a little bit of SF bay cruising in the next few weeks though since all of my professors have decided to dropped me. 

2 hours ago, Pro looper said:

It was my pleasure to help you out FF but now you owe me and the first thing 

on my/your list is to fix the sheaves in your boom also if there is a place to tie up and hose down all of your 

lines do it.

PL.

Gonna smash those babies out tomorrow and start slowly replacing my wire rigging with just rope since I'll need new sheaves anyhow. Going to rent a slip here for a night to charge back up, clean this mess, and now, get these dry lines soaked! 

Will post high(er) quality pictures of Conception, Sur, Santa Cruz Island, etc. when I walk the 4 miles to Starbucks tomorrow. Too far from the harbor wifi for my iPad to reach.

I just tried watching TV and found nothing amusing or even remotely entertaining, guess it's all fairly mundane in comparison to theses past two weeks. Back to reading and working on my boat I guess! 

23 minutes ago, FishFood said:

I don't think I fully conveyed that I was going to pass Half Moon and come back. My batteries started to read around 50% on my motor and the wind was kicking up so I decided against it and just stopped in Half Moon 

Yes!  You are developing your judgement. Good call.  

You ARE inside the jetty and breakwater, right?

10 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Yes!  You are developing your judgement. Good call.  

You ARE inside the jetty and breakwater, right?

Yup, as @alctel said, it's a great harbor. Still new to anchoring so I often doubt if I'm set correctly but it's so calm in here that I don't think it'd even matter. Nice for my kayak dinghy rides.

FF, I'm not a cruiser but I know if you are going to live on the hook that you should have chain 

all the way to the boat @ 250' then have a bridal that shackles to the chain and goes to both cleats

on the bow you do not want to rely on your rode  it can chafe and it can blow hard from the south

in HMB 

PL.

Won't matter, the Dangforth anchor will pop when the tide or weather changes, specially since he likely did a "Bayliner Drop"

Pelagic Kon Tiki drifting means never having to worry about anchoring. The current record for at sea is 1000 days.

44 minutes ago, Pro looper said:

FF, I'm not a cruiser but I know if you are going to live on the hook that you should have chain 

all the way to the boat @ 250' then have a bridal that shackles to the chain and goes to both cleats

on the bow you do not want to rely on your rode  it can chafe and it can blow hard from the south

in HMB 

PL.

250 feet of chain on a boat that size? One boatlength of chain will probably do if it's a decent anchor.

1 hour ago, Pro looper said:

in HMB 

PL.

It's a bridle, like you use on a horse.  If you want to chain  your bride to cleats, well, that's up to the two of you! (But don't tell us about it unless she's really hot and you have photos.)

• Like 1
22 hours ago, luminary said:

Hee hee, I think hanging your bridal on a nice french cleat is an excellent afternoon

Umm, this goes for everyone:

22 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

(But don't tell us about it unless she's really hot and you have photos.)

On 11/19/2019 at 5:26 AM, FishFood said:

Yup, as @alctel said, it's a great harbor. Still new to anchoring so I often doubt if I'm set correctly but it's so calm in here that I don't think it'd even matter. Nice for my kayak dinghy rides.

Anchoring is pretty simple - put out adequate rode for the type of anchor you are using and when you think it's set, back down hard on it to see if it will drag.

If not, you're done

If yes, keep working on it. :D

On 11/19/2019 at 11:35 AM, Ed Lada said:

It's a bridle, like you use on a horse.  If you want to chain  your bride to cleats, well, that's up to the two of you! (But don't tell us about it unless she's really hot and you have photos.)

Is there a bridal wench on board?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Well, did your ground tackle hold or did you end up chaffed and lawn darted? Any sea lions on the open stern?

Pelican, the other white meat...mmm  http://danis-space.blogspot.com/2007/08/ok.html

A little too well! I wanted to move close to the harbor this morning and it took everything I had to get my anchor up, as it surfaced it looked like clay had molded and hardened around the anchor. Then I ran back to the cockpit to motor in further just to find that my throttle had been disconnected a little and wouldn’t work. Had to panic drop my anchor even further out as I was drifting toward the jetty with no control whatsoever. I decided to just stay put after getting the motor back up. Gonna move to a slip to charge up and work on my boat after court tomorrow. (Defended myself against an irrational homeless dude and was strong armed into accepting a citation for myself along with his or let it go. I did insinuate he was an idiot but it’s a long story...) 

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Is there a bridal wench on board?

What that?

I have a danforth on about 20ft of chain attached to 50ft of rope, rope wrapped around one cleat and then cleat hitched on the other.

pics

Pt. Dume (I think lol)

FC4DB4C9-D90D-4325-ACB7-A3DC95D75902.thumb.jpeg.4a0a760b80b80e5d308399d7ccce55df.jpeg

Santa Cruz Island, Potato Harbor (Entered under sail)

3ABCD5CF-E07B-4DED-BB20-CEF64932CB5E.thumb.jpeg.1fc3e388a4734515730c35309f3f7c5d.jpeg

D3D14931-4BCD-454A-B4B7-8A1F1F0E0D21.thumb.jpeg.d66be64f73ce52006bee954951fb0d03.jpeg

Pt. Sur

E9FD7851-AE8E-4C10-B894-B3C7DB8B7998.thumb.jpeg.aabf196d3b005f0997820034e18422b6.jpeg

40766303-9853-461A-AB23-A41B93E3294B.thumb.jpeg.cbb4d54a666f125993bf2c2b9cf9bac0.jpeg

Does anyone know anyway I can get involved in the sailing scene asap? I signed up for some volunteer organizations and they pretty much said they are winding down till next season. Anybody/organizations sail through the winter here? I’m ready to get back out on the water, land and the people who occupy it annoy me. Do I need to head back south? Lol

The bridal wench thing is a play on an inside joke here - the number of people on the Mocking thread that call winches wenches - that combined with the bridal/bridle thing and well......

You probably had to be there.

As Eva Dent.

13 hours ago, FishFood said:

Does anyone know anyway I can get involved in the sailing scene asap? I signed up for some volunteer organizations and they pretty much said they are winding down till next season. Anybody/organizations sail through the winter here? I’m ready to get back out on the water, land and the people who occupy it annoy me. Do I need to head back south? Lol

There are bridal wenches in Hawaii and free range chickens...

15 hours ago, FishFood said:

Does anyone know anyway I can get involved in the sailing scene asap? 

Learn a bit about racing (but not too much!)  to be ready for the Three Bridge Fiasco.   Take a crew who has done it before. 

https://sfbaysss.org 

Saturday Jan 25, 2020.   Starts and finishes at GGYC, SF Cityfront.

22 hours ago, FishFood said:

perhaps not sailing - exactly - but pretty sure you could get involved in the sailboat (maintenance) scene. For example, I am currently hauled out in Vallejo and they are tragically short of staff. And I suspect more than one boatyard in the bay could use some help. Others may know better - but SF Bay has a few yards that I suspect could use some help: KKMI Sausalito and Richmond, Svendsons Richmond and Alameda, and Spaulding Boat works in Sausalito is very cool place. Also Berkeley, and surely several more in Alameda could use some good help.

1 hour ago, floater said:

perhaps not sailing - exactly - but pretty sure you could get involved in the sailboat (maintenance) scene. For example, I am currently hauled out in Vallejo and they are tragically short of staff. And I suspect more than one boatyard in the bay could use some help. Others may know better - but SF Bay has a few yards that I suspect could use some help: KKMI Sausalito and Richmond, Svendsons Richmond and Alameda, and Spaulding Boat works in Sausalito is very cool place. Also Berkeley, and surely several more in Alameda could use some good help.

You mean...work?

15 hours ago, floater said:

Good to know! I've gotten some odd boat jobs here in Half Moon already but I could use a bit more than pocket change to get my boat looking pretty. Will call around today.

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

You mean...work?

What's work?

I thought he had a job behind Denny's?

70ft of tackle in 40 ft of water.No bridal wench. What could go wrong. Hope you made the dock yesterday.

Seems to be holding ok, I had to kayak back out last night at 11pm after walking back from the town of Half Moon Bay. Missed the bus. Anyhow, couldn't see my dark, black masted boat until about 20m out. Was scared it was docked in the jetty.

Well, those who were hoping for another Reid Stowe might get their wish. I was inches away from being hit by a drunk driver (I assume) who was driving on the shoulder of PCH. Pissed me off and made me realize I could have just been seriously injured if not killed and it's all because I was on land. I'm going to get my passport this week and take off on a global circumnavigation when I get back from visiting the East Coast for Christmas. Tell me I can't or I shouldn't and you'll just be kindling the fire. I'm really tired of land dwellers and the bullshit despite being ashore for less than a week.

9 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Tell me I can't or I shouldn't and you'll just be kindling the fire. I'm really tired of land dwellers and the bullshit despite being ashore for less than a week.

Did you get tired of blogging already?  

20 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Seems to be holding ok, I had to kayak back out last night at 11pm after walking back from the town of Half Moon Bay. Missed the bus. Anyhow, couldn't see my dark, black masted boat until about 20m out. Was scared it was docked in the jetty.

Anchor lights not a thing out there?

18 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Good to know! I've gotten some odd boat jobs here in Half Moon already but I could use a bit more than pocket change to get my boat looking pretty. Will call around today.

What's work?

Well, those who were hoping for another Reid Stowe might get their wish. I was inches away from being hit by a drunk driver (I assume) who was driving on the shoulder of PCH. Pissed me off and made me realize I could have just been seriously injured if not killed and it's all because I was on land. I'm going to get my passport this week and take off on a global circumnavigation when I get back from visiting the East Coast for Christmas. Tell me I can't or I shouldn't and you'll just be kindling the fire. I'm really tired of land dwellers and the bullshit despite being ashore for less than a week.

Ask for a tracker with texting for xmas.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Did you get tired of blogging already?  

Ehh, the writings are more for me. I'm hedging the risk of getting alzheimers and not remembering these things first hand. Been pretty busy with court and such. Wrote some more yesterday though.

Ask for a tracker with texting for xmas.

Good idea, told my dad to get me something small and boaty so I could fly back with it. Spot tracker seems to fit that criteria.

Serious about this and the only person who could stop me is Pro Looper because I feel I owe him enough. (Please don't stop me PL.)

I may ride out next semester to satisfy my father but summer I'm for sure gone.

On my list to get done/acquire beforehand:

Learn more about sailing, tracker with messaging, increase anchor line to 200ft+, double motor and house battery capacity, learn compass and sextant navigation, solar and wind power regeneration, 500 cans of Progresso for extra ballast, and ???

What else is needed? Does the electric motor onboard make me a first to do it with this configuration (sail/electric inboard)?

Edit: Start rattling off some records I can break, might as well up the ante. Willing to go for drift king and steal the crown from Stowe if SA promises to be there for moral support. 

I was 100% sure this was a troll joke when I started reading this thread. 

I'm still not 100% sure it isn't, but I've got to give you props either way at this point.

The tracker you want is the Garmin Inreach Explorer. I've had one for a bit and it is epic. Not cheap--close to $400 when all is said and done--but you can cycle the plans on and off and they're not that expensive. Will give your family/friends tracking and give you worldwide texting capability and SOS. Serves as a backup GPS. Runs forever on a charge. Robust. Can bluetooth it to your cell phone to save your fingers from the painful texting interface, but works just fine without the phone, too. 

I will have to catch you down in the Bay at some point to make sure I haven't been spoofed.

24 minutes ago, FishFood said:

What else is needed? Does the electric motor onboard make me a first to do it with this configuration (sail/electric inboard)?

Edit: Start rattling off some records I can break, might as well up the ante. Willing to go for drift king and steal the crown from Stowe if SA promises to be there for moral support. 

A lifering, one davit and a fundy page.

30 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Since you're on land for the time being, aside from getting out on as many other people's boats as you can, you should consume every single book you can find written by someone who has done this sort of thing before you start buying boat gear (rode excepted - you should find another 200' ASAP even if it's used from Craigslist if you'll be anchoring again soon).  Maybe the Pardeys (Lin and Larry) would be a good start since you're going the minimalist route but there are many others and it's good to get multiple perspectives.  Your local library should have a lot of stuff to get you started for no $$.  

4 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

A lifering, one davit and a fundy page.

Yes and yes but a fundy page is not worth the flak. It's all good if the link says Patreon though, right? 

17 minutes ago, TalonF4U said:

I was 100% sure this was a troll joke when I started reading this thread. 

I'm still not 100% sure it isn't, but I've got to give you props either way at this point.

The tracker you want is the Garmin Inreach Explorer. I've had one for a bit and it is epic. Not cheap--close to $400 when all is said and done--but you can cycle the plans on and off and they're not that expensive. Will give your family/friends tracking and give you worldwide texting capability and SOS. Serves as a backup GPS. Runs forever on a charge. Robust. Can bluetooth it to your cell phone to save your fingers from the painful texting interface, but works just fine without the phone, too. 

I will have to catch you down in the Bay at some point to make sure I haven't been spoofed.

I would have thought Pro Looper's confirmation would be enough, feel free to come on down to Half Moon Bay to see I'm a real boy. But thanks for the props, a little bit of ego fuel is necessary for things like this.

8 minutes ago, socalrider said:

Since you're on land for the time being, aside from getting out on as many other people's boats as you can, you should consume every single book you can find written by someone who has done this sort of thing before you start buying boat gear (rode excepted - you should find another 200' ASAP even if it's used from Craigslist if you'll be anchoring again soon).  Maybe the Pardeys (Lin and Larry) would be a good start since you're going the minimalist route but there are many others and it's good to get multiple perspectives.  Your local library should have a lot of stuff to get you started for no $$.  

Good ideas, almost done with Perry's yacht design book and that has helped with understanding the dynamics of boats.

1153 days is what I'm aiming for, just enough to edge out Reid. Since my boat is only 30ft, I'm gonna have to get creative with ultra calorie dense foods that also don't perish. Maybe I can get some people to setup buoys attached to barrels full of food along the way. Not sure if that counts as a resupply or ruins the record attempt. I'm thinking of getting Kraft as a sponsor so I can get 100 cans of processed cheese whizzy. That shit is pretty good and very calorie dense.

9 minutes ago, FishFood said:

1153 days is what I'm aiming for, just enough to edge out Reid. Since my boat is only 30ft, I'm gonna have to get creative with ultra calorie dense foods that also don't perish. Maybe I can get some people to setup buoys attached to barrels full of food along the way. Not sure if that counts as a resupply or ruins the record attempt. I'm thinking of getting Kraft as a sponsor so I can get 100 cans of processed cheese whizzy. That shit is pretty good and very calorie dense.

You will need more room for supplies and a bigger boat. Think room for live arts, pottery and dance.

1 hour ago, FishFood said:

Spot tracker seems to fit that criteria.

I don't remember the technical esoterica, but when I was looking at trackers I compared Spot and InReach, and the Garmin InReach came out way ahead.

Have had mine for a couple of years and very happy with it.

$.02