Sailing from LA to SF, Solo w/ Little Experience

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

towed him in this morning , seems like a good Kid took him to Linda's for breakfast now going to try to sort him out with an old main you can never have too much good karma in the bank shit

I just talk to FF glad he gave me a call, very happy he and the boat are safe I plan on going to help him tomorrow and bring him back to Santa Cruz for a Thanksgiving dinner. 

Somebody is bored - whose sock is this?

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, TalonF4U said:

Honestly, there's nothing I feel better about than people putting up the finger to society and just going and doing something cool/adventurous/spirited. From this perspective, you're due nothing more than a healthy applause. 

Most people can't make it happen. Mostly this is due to lack of willpower, sometimes people claim lack of resources (you and Rimas being two folks who clearly don't know enough about sailing long distances offshore to be sincerely afraid of it; lack of resources is kind of y'alls bread and butter, which is awesome in its own respect--you can tell those people who don't because they say they are too broke to fuck off), but most people claim the more legitimate, IMHO, reasons of ties to shore: They have families, children, or the slightly less respectable reason of a job, etc. Even Benard Motissier, quite the hero of solo sailing, was kind of a douche to the wife he left in France when he sailed a lap and a half around the world. Surely his wife did not assume when he left that he would land in Tahiti and knock some other woman up when he got there... though perhaps this is just me imposing my cultural assumptions on the French. 

You are making it happen. Good for you. 

But, seriously, is there something else you could chase other than to spend three years adrift? Not sure what your greater metaphysical goal in all this is, but I'd rather read about you telling conventional sailors like me to fuck off as you told the tales of entertainment/hilarity/stupidity as you did your thing on the ocean than read about the number of cans of Progesso you consumed while floating around waiting to get killed in your poorly prepared boat with your minimal to nonexistent experience. Listen to enough of us to survive, please, but find a mission more likely to be fun/cool/worthwhile, and less likely to result in you becoming "FishFood" for no particular reason. 

Find your way to SF Bay and I'll at least give you some pointers on the sailing bit without crapping on your general concept of living, which I genuinely respect... 

I really have no end goal. I feel as if I'm extremely fucked up in my head in so many ways that any positive aspect of my existence is completely negated by it. I have nothing going for me elsewhere, I've gone from a 1.78 HS GPA to damn near a 4.0 in college and there was nothing rewarding about it. It truly seems to me that no matter what, I can't find a way in life. I try to identify the realities of my situation and work in the most efficient way to achieve what I want but I meet nothing but friction to no avail. I had a pretty fucked up childhood which only served to fuck my mind up even more. I'm tired of feeling like a loser who is swimming in quicksand.

To me, I finally have the opportunity to do something noteworthy and achieve. I would rather end up dead in the middle of the ocean, lose my sanity, or be butt raped by gay Somali pirates than continue living how I do.

Perhaps I should be seeking a psychiatrist instead of the sea but I tried that only to find everyone is out of network here for my father's SC based insurance.

To me this is all I have left and I'm totally down to be swallowed by Neptune in the process. Plus I like entertaining you people and providing something to the world.

• Like 1
Just now, NeedAClew said:

So you are asking readers to enable your death wish?

Nice.

Not a death wish. I don't want death. I want to give something to the world in some small way and if it's entertaining you folks, I'm happy to risk it. I don't see any other path forward that satisfies my perspective and aim.

Some of you may feel bad condoning and supporting my endeavors given the above. Please don't. I truly don't think there is any hope for me to feel good about life unless I'm providing something. You will truly make my existence better regardless of its conclusion.

Good news, my wife is a shrink. Bad news, we have kids and a sailing hobby to support, and I bet your insurance is shit. 

Can't say anything other than to express agreement about using days spent at sea alone to clear one's head. 

I'd think it might be kind of traumatic to do this kind of shit with no real idea how to survive it. Do yourself a favor and get as smart as possible about surviving the bad times. I'll send you a copy of the "storm tactics handbook" if you tell me where to send it. I find being afraid of death is a real buzz-kill. I make my living doing something kind of dangerous in which people frequently try to kill me, but solo sailing really gets my attention. Be careful, dude. 

• Like 1

If you think entertaining readers here and in your blog is the best thing you can ever do with your life, and thus a sketchy drift is worth dying for, I humbly suggest you may be trying to distract yourself from depression with adrenaline.

Talk to somebody. Your living redemption story will entertain, too. And you truly have no idea what contributions you will make to the world.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TalonF4U said:

Good news, my wife is a shrink. Bad news, we have kids and a sailing hobby to support, and I bet your insurance is shit. 

Can't say anything other than to express agreement about using days spent at sea alone to clear one's head. 

I'd think it might be kind of traumatic to do this kind of shit with no real idea how to survive it. Do yourself a favor and get as smart as possible about surviving the bad times. I'll send you a copy of the "storm tactics handbook" if you tell me where to send it. I find being afraid of death is a real buzz-kill. I make my living doing something kind of dangerous in which people frequently try to kill me, but solo sailing really gets my attention. Be careful, dude. 

I just use ebooks, will get it. Well, my phone and iPad are both about dead so it's time to paddle back out to my boat and sit in solitude/read.

If you're thinking "FF, you can go to college, get a good job and live a happy life." you're probably wrong with your opinions predicated on a different perspective and being saner than I.

If you can think of another way to accomplish something with my life that isn't that typical bullshit, feel free to spitball. 

Nothing more boring than reading about a poster’s life-excuses and self-analysis. There must be some other forums for teen angst. Don’t do shit and write about it as some favor to us readers.

Maybe you need a girlfriend...post pics when you get one on the boat:

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

If you think entertaining readers here and in your blog is the best thing you can ever do with your life, and thus a sketchy drift is worth dying for, I humbly suggest you may be trying to distract yourself from depression with adrenaline.

Talk to somebody. Your living redemption story will entertain, too. And you truly have no idea what contributions you will make to the world.

Everything I try elsewhere fails miserably. I have no passion or hobbies besides sailing now and that isn't going to get me anywhere worthwhile anytime soon. I wish I had someone to talk to and figure things out. Unfortunately I'm too idealistic with ideas of friendship and family and the reality of humanity smashes those ideals.

4 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Nothing more boring than reading about a poster’s life-excuses and self-analysis. There must be some other forums for teen angst. Don’t do shit and write about it as some favor to us readers.

Maybe you need a girlfriend...post pics when you get one on the boat:

You're right, should stick to the sailing. Unfortunately most girls/people are carbon copies of one another and in a pretty bad way.

I guess I can just be less genuine and accept reality. Will work on it. 

Night SA.

1 hour ago, FishFood said:

I really have no end goal. I feel as if I'm extremely fucked up in my head in so many ways that any positive aspect of my existence is completely negated by it. I have nothing going for me elsewhere, I've gone from a 1.78 HS GPA to damn near a 4.0 in college and there was nothing rewarding about it. It truly seems to me that no matter what, I can't find a way in life. I try to identify the realities of my situation and work in the most efficient way to achieve what I want but I meet nothing but friction to no avail. I had a pretty fucked up childhood which only served to fuck my mind up even more. I'm tired of feeling like a loser who is swimming in quicksand.

To me, I finally have the opportunity to do something noteworthy and achieve. I would rather end up dead in the middle of the ocean, lose my sanity, or be butt raped by gay Somali pirates than continue living how I do.

Perhaps I should be seeking a psychiatrist instead of the sea but I tried that only to find everyone is out of network here for my father's SC based insurance.

To me this is all I have left and I'm totally down to be swallowed by Neptune in the process. Plus I like entertaining you people and providing something to the world.

Sounds like you need a good woman.

53 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Everything I try elsewhere fails miserably. I have no passion or hobbies besides sailing now and that isn't going to get me anywhere worthwhile anytime soon. I wish I had someone to talk to and figure things out. Unfortunately I'm too idealistic with ideas of friendship and family and the reality of humanity smashes those ideals.

Ok, seriously this is a classic description of depression.  My first really bad bout came when I was 21. 

Been there done that repeatedly. Not dead yet. Not unhappy about that.

18 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Ok, seriously this is a classic description of depression.  My first really bad bout came when I was 21. 

Been there done that repeatedly. Not dead yet. Not unhappy about that.

Yes.

I've been a carer for 20yrs, so am pretty good at the tells by now. Try and get some professional help Fish. and if friends/family/people think less of you fuck 'em, your better off without cunts like that in your life anyway.  

• Like 2

If sailing lifts your spirits, carry on.

Perhaps you've found an interest, that will lead you to something that you will love to do, with your life. 

What could be better ?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, FishFood said:

No matter how bad things feel, or seem, it is temporary. There will be something around the corner that will stimulate you beyond the now. Sailing is good. It is always different. Keep going !

Looks like the wind picks up sunday and monday considerably, if you are still heading to SF. 

Mon morning https://www.ventusky.com/?p=37dogballs;-123.06;8&l=wind-10m&t=20191125/1500

Luck might change up there and you never know who you will meet that changes your path of life at your age.

The above poster's link re Webb, who left to go solo sailing with little experience or funds, is a mandatory read before you cast off.

He had 8 boats, 6 wives and 6 circumnavs and 1st American round the horn. This podcast is after his 5th.

http://thesailingpodcast.com/webbchiles/

12 hours ago, Keith said:

If sailing lifts your spirits, carry on.

Perhaps you've found an interest, that will lead you to something that you will love to do, with your life. 

What could be better ?

Yeah, and the flip side is worth mentioning. 

I supported myself in and around sailing for years.  Happiest time of my life.  Racing, ran my own rigging shop, totally owned my own path.

Then I met a girl.  Got married.  Bought a house.  Became a wage-slave, in a job that paid nicely but bored the crap out of me.  And, ironically, figured out too late it was the wrong girl.

Bottom line... if you find something you love to do, keep doing it.  'cuz life's too short to spend it doing things you hate....

$.02

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Looks like the wind picks up sunday and monday considerably, if you are still heading to SF. 

Mon morning https://www.ventusky.com/?p=37dogballs;-123.06;8&l=wind-10m&t=20191125/1500

Luck might change up there and you never know who you will meet that changes your path of life at your age.

The above poster's link re Webb, who left to go solo sailing with little experience or funds, is a mandatory read before you cast off.

He had 8 boats, 6 wives and 6 circumnavs and 1st American round the horn. This podcast is after his 5th.

http://thesailingpodcast.com/webbchiles/

1st American round the Horn?

Appreciate all the input, it's very helpful. Impulsivity is signature FishFood and I'm glad there are sensible minds willing to contribute and talk me off a ledge so to speak (taking the fuck off). I'm going to continue working in Half Moon Bay for the next few weeks while I fix up my boat and maybe do some Bay Area/Delta cruising as I wait for school to start. This shitty, dry rigging has been tearing my hands up.

Was able to putter around the harbor on my headsail (boom is being worked on, sheaves froze and had to be removed) yesterday and it helped to cheer me up and snap me straight. I will definitely give you a call in the next week PL, my phone broke and I'm waiting for a new one to arrive.

I think I'm going to drop multihuler a message and see if I can volunteer some time to help work on Hydroptere. Seems like a cool project and I'd love to crawl around on that boat if I could.

I would get involved here but Half Moon Bay Yacht Club is just a bunch of small boaters and a member asked me if my boat was a Cal 25 (seriously dude? lol) so I'm going to steer clear of that place.

36 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Appreciate all the input, it's very helpful. Impulsivity is signature FishFood and I'm glad there are sensible minds willing to contribute and talk me off a ledge so to speak (taking the fuck off). I'm going to continue working in Half Moon Bay for the next few weeks while I fix up my boat and maybe do some Bay Area/Delta cruising as I wait for school to start. This shitty, dry rigging has been tearing my hands up.

Was able to putter around the harbor on my headsail (boom is being worked on, sheaves froze and had to be removed) yesterday and it helped to cheer me up and snap me straight. I will definitely give you a call in the next week PL, my phone broke and I'm waiting for a new one to arrive.

I think I'm going to drop multihuler a message and see if I can volunteer some time to help work on Hydroptere. Seems like a cool project and I'd love to crawl around on that boat if I could.

I would get involved here but Half Moon Bay Yacht Club is just a bunch of small boaters and a member asked me if my boat was a Cal 25 (seriously dude? lol) so I'm going to steer clear of that place.

Good plans and always good karma when you volunteer. Cruising is just working on your boat in new places.:)

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Good plans and always good karma when you volunteer. Cruising is just working on your boat in new places.:)

Can't have too much good karma. Plus I have to get toward a yard where I can throw this baby on the hard while I'm gone, a little paranoid to leave her floating alone since I have a minor stuffing box leak. Unfortunately, I think I was confused as multihuller wasn't the one who ended up with Hydroptere. I assumed so as his posts were giving the low down and he had intended to get her. Maybe I'll give SugarDocks a call and ask for Chris Welsh. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FishFood said:

Can't have too much good karma. Plus I have to get toward a yard where I can throw this baby on the hard while I'm gone, a little paranoid to leave her floating alone since I have a minor stuffing box leak. Unfortunately, I think I was confused as multihuller wasn't the one who ended up with Hydroptere. I assumed so as his posts were giving the low down and he had intended to get her. Maybe I'll give SugarDocks a call and ask for Chris Welsh. 

The stuffing box is supposed to drip, that is what cools the shaft. They can be re stuffed and tightened, just not over tightened. It is one of those boat things you have to learn...mechanical, electrical, plumbing, rigging, sail repair, etc

Certainly, ask to volunteer, what a boat.

24 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

The stuffing box is supposed to drip, that is what cools the shaft. They can be re stuffed and tightened, just not over tightened. It is one of those boat things you have to learn...mechanical, electrical, plumbing, rigging, sail repair, etc

Certainly, ask to volunteer, what a boat.

At least you learn a diverse set of skills! I really want to reduce my sail inventory to free up space, at least what's kept on board. Which spinnaker should be kept onboard a .5, .75, or 1.2oz? I probably wouldn't deploy a spinnaker (solo) in anything heavier than 12+ knots of wind, dunno if that helps. I also have a mylar #1 and staysail that seem rather pointless at the moment, toss them ashore?

6 minutes ago, FishFood said:

At least you learn a diverse set of skills! I really want to reduce my sail inventory to free up space, at least what's kept on board. Which spinnaker should be kept onboard a .5, .75, or 1.2oz? I probably wouldn't deploy a spinnaker (solo) in anything heavier than 12+ knots of wind, dunno if that helps. I also have a mylar #1 and staysail that seem rather pointless at the moment, toss them ashore?

The mylar is very useful in light wind reaching, the staysail is for storm conditions with a reefed main.

Look at the condition of the kites, take them out, they could be quite mouldy or patched. They are useful for racing if you find a crew in SF to help fly them.

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

The mylar is very useful in light wind reaching, the staysail is for storm conditions with a reefed main.

Look at the condition of the kites, take them out, they could be quite mouldy or patched. They are useful for racing if you find a crew in SF to help fly them.

Yeah I figure they all have their uses, just need to lighten up on what I'm carrying for cruising and day to day living. My sail locker is where my head is and it sucks to shove sails and random items out of the way anytime I want to use it lol. I have a storage unit in the bay area.

Seems multihuller is going to let me help out on some of his boats and introduce me to the Hydroptere duo. Guess that's better than drifting around for a few years ^_^

Hey there @FishFood tell is about Hydroptere if you can. 

In the meantime, the Webb Chiles site is a bit of a maze but worth following the paths. One called Wit has some good short bits. Impossible for me to cut and paste but here are screen shots. I especially like the ones about old age not being an excuse (not of interest to you now, but remember he is 77 now and reports that his wife expects him to die by falling off a boat at 90) and the one about prepare so you don't need luck to succeed and only extreme bad luck can make you fail.

The screenshots are out of order, read first, last, middle. 

And BTW, do you have gloves? With protective palms? Good stocking stuffer from someone.

Screenshot_20191124-190628_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191124-190540_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191124-190621_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CruiserJim said:
4 hours ago, sledracr said:

Depends.

Given that the boat is a vintage 1/2-tonner, it might be a "dazy" (spinnaker) staysail.

More likely this, especially if it was a SoCal boat. 

So there's probably some Depends somewhere on board.

• Like 1
On 11/24/2019 at 7:01 PM, CruiserJim said:

More likely this, especially if it was a SoCal boat. 

It's a dazy staysail.

@NeedAClew Good reading, thanks. 

Just upgraded to a skiff with an outboard that my neighbor/boss is letting me use and is supposedly going to give me as a bonus if I keep up the good work. It's nice to be able motor the few hundred yards in and out instead of paddle. Big things potentially coming in my sailing "career"; don't wanna speak too soon so I'll keep at that till things are more solidified. Appreciate the FF fan club for all the support ^_^

• Like 2
6 hours ago, breezetrees said:

Good breeze coming!

75226288_3213598608715473_310484525857636352_n.png.jpg

BOAT IS BEACHED. ALMOST DIED TRYING TO SAVE SCORPION. Now in the Harbor Patrol office getting warm after falling overboard, crawling into my skiff and beaching it. Had to run to the office barefoot over huge rock piles and fields. YAY FOR ADVENTUREEEEEE

1 hour ago, FishFood said:

BOAT IS BEACHED. ALMOST DIED TRYING TO SAVE SCORPION. Now in the Harbor Patrol office getting warm after falling overboard, crawling into my skiff and beaching it. Had to run to the office barefoot over huge rock piles and fields. YAY FOR ADVENTUREEEEEE

That is a bad storm that hit the coast. My condolences for your loss. Holy cow...

I have been following this thread.  First I am glad everyone is okay.   I was half way won over by FF but I must say he had quite a bit of hubris. He set out on a woefully underprepared boat with very little experience.  Instead of trying to learn from the more experienced he seemed to make fun of them.  Let's hope he can return the mainsail he borrowed and that he has insurance to clean this whole mess up.  Sadly it's usually the tax payer that has to pay. 

53 minutes ago, Pro looper said:

I have not yet talked to FF but there is a chance that the boat might have survived depending where

it went up, and I still stand by my advise of 250' of chain

I think 250' of almost anything would have helped a lot.  As I recall he had ~100' total in 40' of water right?  That's not good, and several of us said so.  Looking forward to the story and glad everyone's okay.  

Been following your adventure. Hope you get everything righted. 

Also, from your earlier correspondence and knowing where you are in life, my advice regarding money/patreon/gofundme etc is to overcome your preconceptions and other peoples' negative attitudes about it. Keep in mind what you already pointed out that other people can click away from your thread. Same with funding - sorta.

At the end of the day, adventure journaling can certainly be thought of a type of cultural value-add. The extent of it is always up for debate. The continuum of Rimas -> Hunter S Thomspon.  For me personally, as long as the 'begging' is done in a limited/classy/understated way then it won't bother me, or most other people. But most people really do live boring lives in offices and truly may not understand the 'street artist' type of job. So it goes.

regardless, good luck!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Ok. Glad you did not drown or get smashed on rocks. Hope you are glad, too. The Pacific is badass. 

Go to library tomorrow if it has public pc you can use. Else get paper. Start writing.

And what @bay_cloud said.

Hope you are OK.

1 hour ago, bay_cloud said:

Been following your adventure. Hope you get everything righted. 

Also, from your earlier correspondence and knowing where you are in life, my advice regarding money/patreon/gofundme etc is to overcome your preconceptions and other peoples' negative attitudes about it. Keep in mind what you already pointed out that other people can click away from your thread. Same with funding - sorta.

At the end of the day, adventure journaling can certainly be thought of a type of cultural value-add. The extent of it is always up for debate. The continuum of Rimas -> Hunter S Thomspon.  For me personally, as long as the 'begging' is done in a limited/classy/understated way then it won't bother me, or most other people. But most people really do live boring lives in offices and truly may not understand the 'street artist' type of job. So it goes.

regardless, good luck!

Really? This dude has been showing his ass this whole thread. He got lucky on that passage north. Even daysailing in SF is challenging. My advice is to go home and deal with the angst in fucking private. And FF, PULEESE don't leave a note. This isn't babysitting anarchy, pussy.

• Like 1

assuming he’s in the outer harbor of HMB, a big southerly is no fun, but it’s not 40’ deep, it’s 12-15, and most of the north shore is sand, he might have gotten unlucky and rolled into the inner harbor wall, which would likely have destroyed his boat.

E359D24B-08E7-405A-AA03-D93D1A7F5BB7.png

I reread previous page. He said he was inside the breakwater, then mentioned moving to a slip to do some work, but then mentioned using the skiff to get back on so must have been anchored outside the marina.

He deleted the Wordpress site he linked.

Yes I have insurance, no I won't need it. I got extremely lucky and my stern anchor which I threw in a panic caught enough to keep me off the beach and somehow my boat literally docked itself at the yacht club floating docks. Harbor patrol went out after it calmed down and found it literally perfectly docked in between a floating dock thing and another boat not even tied up. Crazy cool that I have a self driving boat. Not lying either, my boss looking for me after I sent him a panic text and thought someone had tied it up already but that was before Harbor Patrol even tied it up. Skiff was flooded and I had to swim out in very cold water to bail it out. All good there except for a ton of kelp and whatnot inside. Went to get my boat after and found some scrapping on the hull finish and smashed out running lights. Cabin tossed about, all electronics (phone, iPad, etc) destroyed from water and a full bilge. All good otherwise. Extremely lucky. I thought I was beached for sure. 

Don't really care about the haters. They hate us 'cause they anus. 

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Really? This dude has been showing his ass this whole thread. He got lucky on that passage north. Even daysailing in SF is challenging. My advice is to go home and deal with the angst in fucking private. And FF, PULEESE don't leave a note. This isn't babysitting anarchy, pussy.

How am I a pussy considering what you said above? Oh because I'm lucky lol. Suck a fat one and realize you are a douche who can't read into things. I'll respond as I please since this is my thread. 

Oh and most of the harbor patrol now loves me, so shut up if you wanna bitch about that. 

Edited for nicer and less disparaging insults.

Well, clearly you picked the right boat. She probably gets most of the credit for getting to HMB. Well, the boat and @Pro looper 

Hope you give Harbor Patrol some love. Write a letter of thanks or something.  

Well, the water and kelp probably cleaned out the human waste. Get that kelp out because it will reek forever.

Don't be ageist. Or misogynistic. You managed both in one sentence. :(

Yeah, I am sure the response to that  is "f off you old hag."

WTF did you do with the blog?  

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Well, clearly you picked the right boat. She probably gets most of the credit for getting to HMB. Well, the boat and @Pro looper 

Hope you give Harbor Patrol some love. Write a letter of thanks or something.  

Well, the water and kelp probably cleaned out the human waste. Get that kelp out because it will reek forever.

Don't be ageist. Or misogynistic. You managed both in one sentence. :(

Yeah, I am sure the response to that  is "f off you old hag."

WTF did you do with the blog?  

You're right, let me edit. My frustration with that dummy got the best of me. 

HP is getting Starbucks in the morning. 

Oh, and f off you douchebag ;) 

jk I luv u clew

Blog getting renamed and will post finished trip journal tomorrow as I'll be off of work and alone for Thanksgiving.

Dude, if your boat was at the YC floating docks, you didn’t have to swim, they have a cable ferry. 

ahh well, glad the 1/2 tonner has survived. Now tie up to the mooring...

5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Dude, if your boat was at the YC floating docks, you didn’t have to swim, they have a cable ferry. 

ahh well, glad the 1/2 tonner has survived. Now tie up to the mooring...

I ditched the boat before it self docked. Tried to go get help instead of staying on while it was headed for the beach. Plus I had fallen overboard and was using the skiff with a line in my mouth to try and motor out to a mooring I was passing to tie off. Ran out of line and was taking on too much water in the skiff so I had to beach it. Moved straight to mooring from the docks. Have a redundant line tied to my anchor plate thing just in case. Went to West Marine and bought really nice 5/8ths line. Wasn't cheap. 

Also, I was in pretty gnarly weather, had hit my head, busted my lip and couldn't see shit. Also spent the day hotboxing a room with spray paint so I was pretty delirious lol. (Was working with spray paint, don't take that seriously folks.) Yes I had a mask, still didn't work 100%.

11 minutes ago, FishFood said:

I ditched the boat before it self docked. Tried to go get help instead of staying on while it was headed for the beach. Plus I had fallen overboard and was using the skiff with a line in my mouth to try and motor out to a mooring I was passing to tie off. Ran out of line and was taking on too much water in the skiff so I had to beach it. Moved straight to mooring from the docks. Have a redundant line tied to my anchor plate thing just in case. Went to West Marine and bought really nice 5/8ths line. Wasn't cheap. 

Also, I was in pretty gnarly weather, had hit my head, busted my lip and couldn't see shit. Also spent the day hotboxing a room with spray paint so I was pretty delirious lol. (Was working with spray paint, don't take that seriously folks.) Yes I had a mask, still didn't work 100%.

We were hit by a tropical wave in Belize, were in a recognize hurricane hole and dragged anyway, with no seas to speak off and warm air and water. It would’ve sucked to been dealing with all that AND be cold.

you’ll find needed safety gear ain’t cheap. I’m down in SoCal and gonna hit Minneys on Friday in the off chance I find something interesting. Your best bet is Blue Pelican in Alameda.

39 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Ran out of line and was taking on too much water in the skiff so I had to beach it.

Part of successful offshore sailing (JMHO) is in thinking through what "might" happen, and always having a Plan B.  And a Plan C.  And a Plan D. 

Sitting on the hook in some quiet cove, for example, I'll kinda chew on some scenarios: what's going to happen in this cove if a strong westerly comes in?  What's my plan if my anchor drags?  What's my plan if that other guy's anchor drags and he starts coming down onto me? Can I get outahere into open water if my motor won't start?  Etc, etc, etc.  It kinda becomes a mental game after a while, sorting through what might happen and how to deal with it, so if it *does* look like it is going to happen you can get out in front of it and "act", instead of having to react after the list of good options gets closer to zero.

You've had your first couple of swings at seeing how fast things can get pear-shaped, and how much it sucks to realize you're no longer in a position to do anything about it.  Use those to start chewing on the scenarios and adding "here's what I can do if that scenario comes up again" to your repertoire.  It's always good to have a plan *before* you run out of options.

$.02

• Like 2