I have a small pile of old phone that I don't know what to do with, so while a different topic, it fits the title.

My tin-foil-hat paranoia won't permit me to donate them, and we are long past the point of a factory reset being an option.

Burn barrel?  

Ship to Africa with all the rest of the toxic waste?

Phones for Soldiers charity?  (what really happens here... I don't know)

Bury in a gopher hole for future generations?

Toss in the bay next to the boat with all their brethren? 

find it interesting that you by a product, ( Iphones) and then all of a sudden it's company decides they shouldn't work any more, 

probably just a SCAM to sell the new ones, should there be a law against that? 

never own an Iphone and never will

• Like 1
1 hour ago, garuda3 said:

find it interesting that you by a product, ( Iphones) and then all of a sudden it's company decides they shouldn't work any more, 

By law car manufactures only have to supply new parts for ten years....

i have a 15 year old hp plotter that I have to visit third party sites just to get cobbled together drivers to keep it running on the newer versions of windows.  I’m still running a laptop with windows 7 to keep stringing it along.

at some point in time a manufacturer has to say, enough is enough.   But I agree 6 year old I phone should still have updates.  My MIL still has hers chugging away.

Slight thread drift, but as a child in the Isle of Wight I asked my dad why there was always water in the iron tank at the top of the stone tower in the back corner of the top garden.  This was the source of plenty of irrigation water.  As a result we went exploring in the wet creek bed and found a hydraulic ram which had been gently pumping water up to the the tank, over 100 feet rise, since 1820.

It was a simple but very elegant device, just using the energy of the passing water to squirt a jet of it up to the tank, about 15 times a minute.  No electricity.  And it had been doing it for over 150 years.

We traced the manufacturers, and they said it was supported for life.  They sent us two new rubber valves and instructions.  No charge.

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

By law car manufactures only have to supply new parts for ten years....

i have a 15 year old hp plotter that I have to visit third party sites just to get cobbled together drivers to keep it running on the newer versions of windows.  I’m still running a laptop with windows 7 to keep stringing it along.

at some point in time a manufacturer has to say, enough is enough.   But I agree 6 year old I phone should still have updates.  My MIL still has hers chugging away.

old cars, I was in NY last week and my friend let me used his "old "car with 213K miles, except for brakes and tires , all he ever did was changed the oil,and he could do it him self, he didn't need Toyota to do it.

So talking about smart phones, we pay a lot a money for "smart phones " and they come with all kinds of Apps I don't want and can't delete, Face book for one. and now the company that made the phone has to up date it weekly , monthly ......... or the phone doesn't work and you have to relearn how to use it ,    Also these phones track you on where you are , what you buy and various habits of your life, which they sell to others,  ( talk about big brother watching you)

So it seems to me that companies are making a lot of $$$$$$$ on you using their phone ,  They should give you the phone for free

on a closing note the Z man is the anti christ!

I was one of the lucky ones, my Nexus 6P was and is great. The original battery lasted four years and the replacement battery (identical to original) cost me $70, installed with a warranty by my local shop. I've never had a phone last this long and perform as well, even today.

My Nexus 7 also lasted 4 years but died recently. I got a Lenovo Tab 4 8" to replace it. It's not bad but has some Lenovo goofiness. 

My Nexus 5, on the other hand was a complete piece of shit.

10 hours ago, Windward said:

I have a small pile of old phone that I don't know what to do with, so while a different topic, it fits the title.

My tin-foil-hat paranoia won't permit me to donate them, and we are long past the point of a factory reset being an option.

Burn barrel?  

Ship to Africa with all the rest of the toxic waste?

Phones for Soldiers charity?  (what really happens here... I don't know)

Bury in a gopher hole for future generations?

Toss in the bay next to the boat with all their brethren? 

.50 cal flintlock at 25 yards.  Repeat for effect.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:25 AM, NeedAClew said:

Thanks for your post!  The Genius bar at the Apple store gave me a brand new 5S, when my 5 year old one suffered screen issues, from a swollen battery, installed by Staples just a few months ago.  For 50 bucks, the same price as a new battery there, they gave me a brand new older phone.  But they said that subsequent IOS updates might lose some functionality. The phone has been asking me to upgrade the IOS, so I need to call them and ask about this, or go visit them.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:26 PM, garuda3 said:

We would never have bought them either, but daughter gave them to us for Christmas, 2014, so we graciously accepted them.  And they work pretty good....