I started looking into purchasing a drone to do a fly bye of my boat while sailing only to discover that they cost about a boat buck if they can get wet and keep up with the boat for any length of time.  So then I started looking for a service provider...it actually is reasonable; about 550 US$ for a day's work and the pilot's expertise.  Seems a lot better deal than trying to launch and recover an expensive toy (that I don't know how to use) from a moving boat.  Has anyone else done this?  Were you pleased with the results?

The bigger dirty little secret about drones is all the time one has to spend reviewing, editing and creating the video after taking the raw footage.  Flying the drone is fun, editing, not so much...

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 11/4/2019 at 4:52 PM, MultiThom said:

I started looking into purchasing a drone to do a fly bye of my boat while sailing only to discover that they cost about a boat buck if they can get wet and keep up with the boat for any length of time.  So then I started looking for a service provider...it actually is reasonable; about 550 US$ for a day's work and the pilot's expertise.  Seems a lot better deal than trying to launch and recover an expensive toy (that I don't know how to use) from a moving boat.  Has anyone else done this?  Were you pleased with the results?

Been flying RCs well over 20 years.  Back in the day I built a quadcopter and hexcopter.  Probably have over 20 UAVs (Unmanned Ariel Vehicles).  Even the newer easy to use ones require attention from the pilot; not something a single hander would be able to provide.  While some of the low end DJI stuff with a "Follow Me" option might work they only have around 20 minutes of flying time before the battery runs down.  Realistically you would need a decent pilot in a chase boat; and quite possibly a driver for the chase boat.  Still this is a lot cheaper than hiring a chopper, pilot for the chopper, and a cameraman with a big lens to provide raw footage.  In either case you would also need some post processing of the raw footage.  As a rule for every minute of delivered vid you need 30 minutes of raw footage at a minimum.

But recent developments have offered cheaper alternatives that can provide acceptable raw footage.  I recently got an Insta360 One X.  The results so far exceeded my expectations.  But along with the camera you will need a big time selfie stick.  Currently I am using a three meter selfie stick but there are even longer ones.  I have also built DIY selfie sticks even longer out of PVC for underwater work (of course this means getting an underwater case for the One X as well).  The thing is with the wide angle lens on the One X and a big selfie stick you could easily get your whole boat in the field of view and keep it there.  The selfie stick could be mounted in a rod holder or at the top of the mast.

As much as I hate jet skis this vid gives some examples of what the One X is capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf8TuAC8jG0

• 1 year later...
On 12/21/2019 at 12:59 AM, Tomfl said:

Been flying RCs well over 20 years.  Back in the day I built a quadcopter and hexcopter.  Probably have over 20 UAVs (Unmanned Ariel Vehicles).  Even the newer easy to use ones require attention from the pilot; not something a single hander would be able to provide.  While some of the low end DJI stuff with a "Follow Me" option might work they only have around 20 minutes of flying time before the battery runs down.  Realistically you would need a decent pilot in a chase boat; and quite possibly a driver for the chase boat.  Still this is a lot cheaper than hiring a chopper, pilot for the chopper, and a cameraman with a big lens to provide raw footage.  In either case you would also need some post processing of the raw footage.  As a rule for every minute of delivered vid you need 30 minutes of raw footage at a minimum.

But recent developments have offered cheaper alternatives that can provide acceptable raw footage.  I recently got an Insta360 One X.  The results so far exceeded my expectations.  But along with the camera you will need a big time selfie stick.  Currently I am using a three meter selfie stick but there are even longer ones.  I have also built DIY selfie sticks even longer out of PVC for underwater work (of course this means getting an underwater case for the One X as well).  The thing is with the wide angle lens on the One X and a big selfie stick you could easily get your whole boat in the field of view and keep it there.  The selfie stick could be mounted in a rod holder or at the top of the mast.

As much as I hate jet skis this vid gives some examples of what the One X is capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf8TuAC8jG0

Where and how on a sailing dinghy would you attached the insta360? I was thinking at the end of the boom or on the tiller some how.