Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm now pissing myself laughing.

You really can't make this shit up.

Check out the doggy hashtag in Laura K's last Tweet LAST NIGHT.

Then today what does Boris roll up to Polling Station to be photographed galore with?? A FUCKING DOG.. and Boris's tweating and repeating the same hashtag. 

The BBC are now promoting the Tories using "secret cute puppy code" to avoid purdah rules. Another strike.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Let's see if Laura can resist breaking election day purdah between last night & 10pm today when polls close. Her Twitter fingers must be going fuckin nuts.

- Knock knock

- Whose there?

- Laura you are wanted upstairs.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • jack_sparrow

    7717

  • LeoV

    2361

  • Waynemarlow

    1981

  • mad

    1399

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way I'm going to PA. This was a top thread, now it's fucked. Thank you fucking idiots.

I was thinking for the last few days that  as a pro union lifelong Alliance voter I should respond to this post but turning on the radio this morning and hearing Mike Nesbitt made me decide to act.

Umm, that would be you.  1) You are fool (as is both evident and self-confessed) who thinks that brexit is a good idea.  2) You post nonsense that only reinforces this and believe that you a

Posted Images

Today is the first anniversary of Theresa May surviving a vote of no confidence led by the Spartans under the direction of the Edwardian Pencil who has gone MIA, which meant that she couldn't be ousted again for a year under party rules. That didn't work out as who needs rules.

Anyway some election day tweets from those who have been on the sideline... a quick sample.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Memes are for people with neither the time or inclination to read. Call it a service.

 

 

 

No, memes are this century’s way people like you push a narrative on to simpleminded fools who have neither the intellect or inclination to read. Kinda like sesame Street was for kids only this is for adults.

 

 

 

ps: your fancy schmancy graphic left out the last 6 weeks of data, how convenient.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeoV said:

...

And while I do understand the dislike of the Tories, Lab is not all roses either. ...

I think the best thing going for Corbyn is Johnson and vice versa. I could easily see voting for one awful choice to avoid the other you consider more awful. What an awful mess.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KC375 said:

I think the best thing going for Corbyn is Johnson and vice versa. I could easily see voting for one awful choice to avoid the other you consider more awful. What an awful mess.

For me it seems that most are voting against something, not for anything or anyone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

ps: your fancy schmancy graphic left out the last 6 weeks of data, how convenient.

 

31 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

You see you can get any statistical chart to support the narrative you want, that’s why it’s said that there are “lies, damned lies and statistics” or some such.

It was your narrative not mine £ spiked. What was my numerical narrative other than agreeing with you? Nothing snipped. You need to have a lie down.

Numbers are the same just look different by presentation, rate selected, and axis exaggeration. I posted a 1 year graph, you come back claiming snipped 6 weeks with 1 month claiming a difference but USD/£ not even £/USD and 2 days old, here is one for 10 days it looks different. It also shows your last minute spike of your narrative shit. You can of course counter with one for 10 hours. Yep that will look different and mm not that good. Numbers don't change.

Turnip.

gbp-usd-10-day-exchange-rates-history-graph.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Upp3 said:

For me it seems that most are voting against something, not for anything or anyone.

 

45 minutes ago, KC375 said:

That sums it up.

Is that really unexpected in a Leave V Remain Election where country divided down the middle? 

It is afterall why the Tories called it and how they framed their campaign.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was taking while to get over him pinching the journos phone but even before you could get past that he hits us with hiding in a fridge.

How do you process that shit? Pathetic, then hilariously implausible and then you're finally hit with depressingly true???... A man wanting to be PM hid in a fucking fridge. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I have (postal) voted tactically for probably the first time. As above, voting against rather than for, but with Bojo we had no honest choice. Will it make any difference? Answer tomorrow. I pray for a caring, compassionate society. Is that wrong? The current Tory clowns represent the opposite.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cms said:

My wife and I have (postal) voted tactically for probably the first time. As above, voting against rather than for, but with Bojo we had no honest choice. Will it make any difference? Answer tomorrow. I pray for a caring, compassionate society. Is that wrong? The current Tory clowns represent the opposite.

Ditto. I am against tactical voting in general but Cameron's Brexit poll has been used to break our democracy. I feel compelled to vote tactically and resent it.

What a mess.

Cheers,

               W.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, WGWarburton said:

Ditto. I am against tactical voting in general but Cameron's Brexit poll has been used to break our democracy. I feel compelled to vote tactically and resent it.

What a mess.

Cheers,

               W.

Why are you against tactical voting? I don't ask that to stir up a disagreement but out of genuine interest. It seems to me FPTP voting systems always move to tactical voting because it is in voters’ self interest (self interest need not be selfish it may mean personal gain or what you deem best for society as a whole). If your preferred candidate is unlikely to win then why not cast your vote in a way that will affect the outcome / make a difference with the possibility of aiding the win of your second choice or keeping out one disapprove of.

I can see a notion that voting for a losing candidate bolsters the morale and perceived national support of that candidate or party. Myself if I want to support a "losing" cause I do it with my cheque book but never waste my vote. I've often contributed to one candidate but voted for another I have not contributed to...but maybe I lack rectitude.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Waynemarlow said:

It seems to be catching. Priti Patel off to vote.

*This pic is not PhotoShopped... honest. My friend who is nurse at Leeds Hospital sent it to me.

ELmXgM3XYAUd5cv.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Obama framed  the closing argument in the last American election in our de facto Two Party system as.... you have a choice.... Chicken or Fish.    Well....  we democratically chose CHICKEN but were handed a constitutional decision of FISH.   Why?  Because many voters ignored this reality and voted third party thinking that there was a message being sent by their vote AND they were righteously voting their conscience.   Of course, there is no one who listens... much less does anything with their protest vote....   The reality is that by not voting for chicken or fish... these folks accept the winner and they need to STFU about these last 3 years (or come to terms with their actions)

Obama used the word... "choice"..... not the word "decide"  and while both actions result in a selection being made....  a decision means you weigh factors... kill off factors and select on the factors that remain. Nothing says... you have to like the decision being made and you can make a mistake in evaluating your options.   A choice is an exercise in free will.... You consider all of the factors, weigh them, etc etc but then you set aside this process and choose freely.... because you simply choose.          IMO, there is much more freedom and peace of mind when you consciously and affirmativley  choose the selection.... at the end of the day....  it is what it is.... and it is what it is not... and you choose both.

Quote

I feel compelled to vote tactically and resent it.

This sounds like you are forced to make a decision....   Consider the power and freedom available when you select by standing in the space of Choosing.

Now... I have to admit.... the complexity of first past the post and your parliamentary system make it a lot more complicated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, WGWarburton said:

Ditto. I am against tactical voting in general but Cameron's Brexit poll has been used to break our democracy. I feel compelled to vote tactically and resent it.

What a mess.

Just think about what you have written, Camerons Brexit poll has been used to break our democracy. What a load of tosh, we had a democratic vote, the Leave vote won the vote, since then every avenue has been to thwart that democratic vote.

Imagine if the Scots had won the Indy vote and then every Scottish parliamentarian used every avenue to block it, you would be saying the exact opposite.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

This pic is not PhotoShopped... honest. My friend who is nurse at Leeds Hospital sent it to me.

So Bit like Jonathon Ashworth then, just joshing :) bit like a lot of your Twattersphere gossip which seems pretty much all the content of late.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Waynemarlow said:

Just think about what you have written, Camerons Brexit poll has been used to break our democracy. What a load of tosh, we had a democratic vote, the Leave vote won the vote, since then every avenue has been to thwart that democratic vote.

Imagine if the Scots had won the Indy vote and then every Scottish parliamentarian used every avenue to block it, you would be saying the exact opposite.

Ha! Very funny :-). Not going to bother engaging... You don't half talk a lot of crap, Wayne!

Cheers,

                 W.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Waynemarlow said:

..bit like a lot of your Twattersphere gossip..

Catch up mate...it is now called the New Media ...the one that revealed a phone being pinched, hospital stories and punch ups as fakes plus heaps of fridge humour. Probably even shaved a few points off a Govt vote. That is hardly frivolous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Why are you against tactical voting? I don't ask that to stir up a disagreement but out of genuine interest. It seems to me FPTP voting systems always move to tactical voting because it is in voters’ self interest (self interest need not be selfish it may mean personal gain or what you deem best for society as a whole). If your preferred candidate is unlikely to win then why not cast your vote in a way that will affect the outcome / make a difference with the possibility of aiding the win of your second choice or keeping out one disapprove of.

I can see a notion that voting for a losing candidate bolsters the morale and perceived national support of that candidate or party. Myself if I want to support a "losing" cause I do it with my cheque book but never waste my vote. I've often contributed to one candidate but voted for another I have not contributed to...but maybe I lack rectitude.

I would think that the general feeling would be that FPTP is crap, and that, because of it, a vote for a candidate (party) unlikely to win that individual seat, your vote is wasted.

That drives our choice to vote for a candidate or party we do not want, simply to stop a candidate or party we abhor.

Perverse.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Probably even shaved a few points off a Govt vote. That is hardly frivolous.

Yup but quick soundbites like the Fridge incident amongst a 1000 others you have used, are a bit like statistics, they can be manipulated to seem like a full on story, that reads in a different way than the full story and can have altering consequences.

My betting is that we are getting near to the stage where no one will want to be a politician, due to the enormous pressure that 1 unsolicited gaffe can end your career, even if that gaffe was never meant in the way you intended nor if the full story was shown, would probably not even have been a gaffe. The only people who will end up in politics will be the more vainer and more stupid, than we have today.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

pest or cholera, what will it be ? the future is so bright your next government, whichever it will be, will need to order you to wear shades at all times.

also here comment was that this is not voting for something, but voting against somebody, that's democraZy for you

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cms said:

I would think that the general feeling would be that FPTP is crap, and that, because of it, a vote for a candidate (party) unlikely to win that individual seat, your vote is wasted.

That drives our choice to vote for a candidate or party we do not want, simply to stop a candidate or party we abhor.

Perverse.

Fair enough, but that is an argument against FPTP voting systems. I have some sympathy for those who oppose FPTP voting systems.

However, given a FPTP voting system, I'm interested in people would you object to tactical voting. Is it simply because they don't like FPTP which imposes tactical voting or is that within FPTP systems they don't believe you should vote tactically.

(as a digression my sense is that people always vote "tactically" but that based on the system of voting your tactics may change)

My other fascination is with tribal politics where people feel a recurring compunction to vote for a particular party rather assessing a parties policies and candidates...but that is another issue entirely

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, cms said:

I would think that the general feeling would be that FPTP is crap, and that, because of it, a vote for a candidate (party) unlikely to win that individual seat, your vote is wasted.

That drives our choice to vote for a candidate or party we do not want, simply to stop a candidate or party we abhor.

Perverse.

May be you will get a coalition that got in through tactical voting. May be they will be decent enough to recognise that FPTP isn't the most democratic system and may be you will get STV.

Ok, that's a lot of maybes!!!!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Fair enough, but that is an argument against FPTP voting systems. I have some sympathy for those who oppose FPTP voting systems.

However, given a FPTP voting system, I'm interested in people would you object to tactical voting. Is it simply because they don't like FPTP which imposes tactical voting or is that within FPTP systems they don't believe you should vote tactically.

(as a digression my sense is that people always vote "tactically" but that based on the system of voting your tactics may change)

My other fascination is with tribal politics where people feel a recurring compunction to vote for a particular party rather assessing a parties policies and candidates...but that is another issue entirely

OK, yes, my primary beef is FPTP and I understand your question about voting tactically. I am not against this, and have done just that, but, in so doing, I feel I have voted negatively rather than positively, which I find a pity. But, overall I agree that the issue is the system, rather than how we act under the current FPTP anachronism.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

May be you will get a coalition that got in through tactical voting. May be they will be decent enough to recognise that FPTP isn't the most democratic system and may be you will get STV.

Ok, that's a lot of maybes!!!!!

In 2010 a coalition was formed between the Conservatives & the LibDems. The LibDems were decent enough to recognise that FPTP isn't the most democratic system and the Alternative Vote referendum was held on the 5th May 2011. PR was, sadly, firmly rejected.

 One wonders if Cameron getting his way with a resounding endorsement on this led to him complacently organising the Brexit referendum to put the Europhobic wing of his party out to pasture, too...

Cheers,

              W.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile the EU they are adapting to ever changing deadlines, cliff edges;
EU confirms one-year Brexit reprieve for derivatives industry. In short not a date that needs to change again and again, but 12 months after exit with no trade deal is decided. Was now March 2020.
https://www.ft.com/content/40bf76ae-1cff-11ea-97df-cc63de1d73f4
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frightening to see that much of populism, brainwashing, nationalism, hate speech, press agitation and far right paroles. 

While in the 1930 this shit had it's roots in Austria today NYC seems to be the hometown of the new right wing despots. Here is how the EU press sees the situation. Seems nobody's left who wants to keep the UK in the EU.... 

 

France

France’s media have been following the UK election campaign closely and did not take long to draw their conclusions. “Boris Johnson: the liar weakening Europe,” was the splash in Le Parisien, a popular tabloid, last month.

The paper called the prime minister “Europe’s bogeyman”, a politician for whom “pretty much everything is either an empty promise, economical with the truth or a downright lie.”

Ben McPartland(@McPBen)

The French press have cottoned on to Boris. 'Boris Johnson- The liar who is weakening Europe'. @le_Parisien calls @BorisJohnson a 'crafty devil, manipulator but amiable' and notes that he's been caught lying numerous times throughout his career... pic.twitter.com/lVnhnsr2Y2

November 26, 2019

Le Monde said this week that neither Johnson nor Jeremy Corbyn looked particularly promising for Europe. It said the Labour leader was “a leftwing Eurosceptic who views the EU as a capitalists’ club” and had “never admitted that leaving will jeopardise all his fine promises of a radical social and economic reform”.

But the paper reserved its fiercest criticism for Johnson. “No longer the clown, the prime minister has started to show his true face,” it said. “Brutal; hungry for power; fleeing the public and awkward questions; disregarding parliament; brandishing a nationalism and an arrogance worthy of Trump.”

In its eve-of-election analysis, Libération was equally damning. The campaign had been “brutal, packed with untruths and even outright lies, bitter, devoid of substantive debate. It was also, and above all, uninspiring,” it said. Jon Henley

Germany

German media have been unusually blunt in their assessment of the level of debate and particularly scathing in their assessment of Johnson. “The country is moving into a new era,” wrote Cathrin Kahlweit in a leader for Süddeutsche Zeitung, a broadly left-leaning broadsheet. “It will become more insular, cultivate a less civil form of patriotism, inflict more harm on minorities. Necessary reforms – a new electoral law, a written constitution, better public services – are likely to be postponed.”

The centre-right broadsheet Die Welt wrote that Johnson’s promise to “get Brexit done” would “blow up in his face”. It added: “He keeps quiet about the fact that the hard part [of the negotiations] only starts after the withdrawal.”

Der Spiegel had a thorough look at Britain’s likely future beyond the election and came to a conclusion that runs against the tenor of the debate in the British media. “A Labour victory would be a blessing for the economy. Because in the case of a victory, Corbyn wants to negotiate a ‘soft’ Brexit deal with the EU … which should be better for the economy than Johnson’s comparatively hard Brexit.” Philip Oltermann

 

Jeremy Corbyn  ‘A Labour victory would be a blessing for the economy,’ wrote Der Spiegel. Photograph: Hannah McKay/Reuters

Spain

While Spain has endured two inconclusive general elections this year and remains in the hands of a caretaker government, it is still intrigued and appalled by the UK’s own political contortions.

Advertisement

In a dispatch from London, El Mundo’s UK correspondent Carlos Fresneda discerned a clear drift towards Trumpism. “Bolstered by the ballot boxes and with an absolute majority, Boris Johnson could behave like a true despot and bring about a definitive split from Europe that sees British society lurch towards the US model (after all, he was born in New York).”

The paper’s leader on Thursday morning was equally blunt. It said the UK was “fatally fractured” as a result of Brexit and had succumbed to populism more than any other EU country.

Rafael Ramos, the London correspondent for La Vanguardia, filed a report from Tony Blair’s former constituency, Sedgefield. There he found Labour’s once impregnable “red wall” looking vulnerable. “A blue tsunami is on its way and it’s being ridden by the blond menace Boris on a surfboard emblazoned with the word Brexit and done out in the colours of the union jack.” Sam Jones

Russia

The elections have largely been a muted affair in Russia, but Vladimir Zhirinovsky, the head of the nationalist LDPR party and a loose ally of Vladimir Putin, delivered a full-throated endorsement for the Tories and Brexit on Thursday.

Владимир Жириновский(@Zhirinovskiy)

Mr. Prime Minister @BorisJohnson
I and the entire LDPR party sincerely wish you victory in the election today. With the support of people, you will quickly bring Britain out of the European Union!

December 12, 2019

“I and the entire LDPR party sincerely wish you victory in the election today. With the support of people, you will quickly bring Britain out of the European Union!” tweeted Zhirinovsky, who is known for making outrageous statements.

Advertisement

Zhirinovsky was probably trolling, but the sentiment is real. Russia has largely welcomed the UK’s exit from the EU as proof that the European project is coming apart at the seams.

Russian TV anchors highlighted the theatrical nature of the campaign – an element somewhat lacking in Russia’s own elections. “The campaign often resembled a show, with PM Boris Johnson bringing milk to people at home, hiding from journalists’ questions in a refrigerator, and baking a pie, but mainly underlining that Brexit is a reality,” said a broadcast on the state-run Rossiya-24. Andrew Roth

Italy

“Socialism or Brexit? This is the Hamlet-like dilemma of the vote in the UK,” wrote Enrico Franceschini in La Repubblica on Thursday. “Today the tribes in which Great Britain is divided are forced to mingle to choose the lesser evil: Boris Johnson, if they want to avoid socialism; Jeremy Corbyn, if they want to avoid Brexit. Many, in both cases, will be holding their noses as they vote.”

 

Jacob Rees-Mogg and Michael Gove  Jacob Rees-Mogg and Michael Gove, along with Boris Johnson, are ‘the sons of Thatcher’, said Corriere della Sera. Photograph: Peter Summers/Getty Images

In Corriere della Sera, Beppe Severgnini wrote about what a Labour or Conservative government could mean for the UK. With Brexit dominating, should Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Jacob Rees-Mogg (whom Severgnini called “the sons of Thatcher”) regain power, they would be tempted to transform Britain into “a pirate ship off the coast of Europe”, he said. “It would be a serious mistake.” Angela Giuffrida

Netherlands

In the Netherlands, which stands to lose more than most from a hard or no-deal Brexit, NRC Handelsblad lamented a campaign “poor on substance and rich in empty rhetoric” for an election that “could change the course of Brexit, and the country”.

Advertisement

Hardly a single moment from the past few weeks lasted longer than the one-day news cycle, the paper said, while the debates provided no new insights beyond Johnson’s “Get Brexit done” and Corbyn’s “For the many, not the few”.

Both parties “promised more money and more investment, but avoided fundamental discussions about structural health, education and benefit reforms – or even Brexit,” it said.

Johnson “could not explain how he would negotiate a trade deal in record time or what would happen if the talks dragged on”, the paper said, while Corbyn “was silent on Brexit, aware a good election result was only possible if both leftwing big-city remainers and working-class Brexiteers in the Midlands and north vote Labour.” Jon Henley

Scandinavia

Sweden’s Svenska Dagbladet described a country hopelessly split, and in multiple directions, leaving many voters facing “an impossible choice. How is a Conservative who wants to stay in the EU supposed to vote? Or a social democrat who believes Jeremy Corbyn is a leftwing extremist?”

In Denmark, Berlingske said Britain was voting in “one of the most important elections in decades”, whose outcome would “define the UK’s exit from the EU or decide whether the country get a new referendum” and whose two protagonists “represent two radically different visions for Britain”.

Advertisement

“If the Conservative party wins an absolute majority, Britain can leave the EU by 31 January – but the UK must immediately start negotiating a future trade agreement,” it explained. “If Labour wins, there’ll be yet another referendum on Brexit. And if there’s no clear winner, it will be a big and serious mess.” Jon Henley

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I go into a restaurant known for its chicken dishes, and finally decide to order fish instead.

They say fine, we can do fish.  

I've been waiting three hours.  Two chefs who promised to cook fish have quit and the third one is continually promising to deliver my fish in the next five minutes, whether it's cooked or not, or indeed if it's still alive.

The wait staff have been arguing loudly whether I want battered cod, grilled salmon, eels or sushi.  

The restaurant appears to be mostly on fire, but nobody is paying attention because they're all arguing about fish.  

I think I would like to re-order.  Chicken perhaps? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

I go into a restaurant known for its chicken dishes, and finally decide to order fish instead.

They say fine, we can do fish.  

I've been waiting three hours.  Two chefs who promised to cook fish have quit and the third one is continually promising to deliver my fish in the next five minutes, whether it's cooked or not, or indeed if it's still alive.

The wait staff have been arguing loudly whether I want battered cod, grilled salmon, eels or sushi.  

The restaurant appears to be mostly on fire, but nobody is paying attention because they're all arguing about fish.  

I think I would like to re-order.  Chicken perhaps? 

Nope, you're having fish...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LeoV said:

If England is turned Tory in most seats, SNP in Scotland leading, Republican parties in NI it is the end of the Union.

About time too. 312 yrs is a long time. 

Once upon a time that may have made sense, but of late it's as useful as trying to unite Haiti and the Dominican Republic would be. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgh66 said:

Seems nobody's left who wants to keep the UK in the EU.... 

Who would?
With a decisive BoJo win and him calling the shots chances are that he has another great idea like the last round. (Border in the sea.)
We'll see. For the EU the situation is still simple enough. Support your members, don't push the UK over the cliff, try to stand back because feces will hit the rotary impeller anytime soon...
 

3 hours ago, LeoV said:

EU confirms one-year Brexit reprieve for derivatives industry. In short not a date that needs to change again and again, but 12 months after exit with no trade deal is decided. Was now March 2020.

Hmm... That should be a continuation under the current rule set.. Brexit on some day at 01 minutes. Declare the UK a tax heaven at 02 minutes. Financial industry problem solved. :D
Well. More likely a bit later when the EU needs a push in the talks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Waynemarlow said:

My betting is that we are getting near to the stage where no one will want to be a politician, due to the enormous pressure that 1 unsolicited gaffe can end your career,..

So you think it just pure luck that Corbyn didn't pinch a phone or walk into a fridge or anyone else for that matter?

This may come as a surprise but fuckwits make gaffes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Golly, could it be happening? 

Will all of those who were @remainers start a #RESIST movement?

Emigrate to France or Ireland? 

 

Or Scotland

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Emigrate to France or Ireland? 

Its OK, the biggest mouthpiece of the Remainers on this thread has already left as a bitter and twisted Remainer. That's what happens when people don't face up to the fact there are winners and losers under the FPTP system and the fundamental basis of FPTP democracy is the losers have to honour the result.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

About time too. 312 yrs is a long time. 

Once upon a time that may have made sense, but of late it's as useful as trying to unite Haiti and the Dominican Republic would be. 

 

Or the US :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KC375 said:

The Conservatives are set to win an overall majority of 86 in the general election, according to an exit poll for the BBC, ITV and Sky News.

People didnt want to vote for Johnson but they refused to vote for Corbyn. Corbyn and McDonald dominated the campaign so they have to own the result.

Something is wrong when competent politicians like Keir Starmer were not seen to diffuse that crusty lefty optic.

Exit polls can be unreliable. One has to hope a big majority for Johnson doesn't get whittled down and he has a clear mandate to do a controlled Brexit with no ERG holding him to ransom.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Hmm... That should be a continuation under the current rule set..

It makes life easier for both sides, this is now enough even if BJ ask for an extension or not.
Expect other contingency plans for aviation, civil rights being changed to this format.

It gives business in the UK/EU a rest, no cliffedge, 12 months after BJ says, we have left, it will happen.

If polls are right, Tory majority so big it can ignore ERG. Makes all much easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KC375 said:

Well with one constituency reporting labour are leading 1 to 0

 

Now 2 to 0 (of 533 so this could change....)

sorry now 2 lab to 1 Con of 650 seats...

Link to post
Share on other sites

So now that it is becoming clear that the tories are set to win big, what’s your next plan now Jack, can ye wankers try to impeach Borris or are ye ready now to accept the democratically voiced will of the people?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

So now that it is becoming clear that the tories are set to win big, what’s your next plan now Jack, can ye wankers try to impeach Borris or are ye ready now to accept the democratically voiced will of the people?

 

 

In a FPTP system that produces a clear majority you have to accept they can proceed as they wish. Of course future elections might produce different arrangements but that is democracy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Twenty or so years ago, coming from the continent, I was traveling from Dover to London by bus. While going through the London suburbs lots of people were about, and I was truly shocked to see how old fashioned they were dressed.

Now, looking at the people in the streets during canvassing, and also queuing at the polling stations, I had the same feeling again of an utterly conservative population.

Nothing changes if nothing changes.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Waynemarlow said:

Its OK, the biggest mouthpiece of the Remainers on this thread has already left as a bitter and twisted Remainer. That's what happens when people don't face up to the fact there are winners and losers under the FPTP system and the fundamental basis of FPTP democracy is the losers have to honour the result.

I see a country that won't rectify the structure of its economy for yet another 5 years and feel sad. Your see a scorecard. Scorecards don't feed, house, nourish and protect a society.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LeoV said:

It gives business in the UK/EU a rest, no cliffedge, 12 months after BJ says, we have left, it will happen.

Would be funny that after extension after extension to transition period to sort a FTA that the next election comes around and the UK is still hasn't exited.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Twenty or so years ago, coming from the continent, I was traveling from Dover to London by bus. While going through the London suburbs lots of people were about, and I was truly shocked to see how old fashioned they were dressed.

Now, looking at the people in the streets during canvassing, and also queuing at the polling stations, I had the same feeling again of an utterly conservative population.

Nothing changes if nothing changes.

 

I took a similar route occasionally back in the mid nineties, Paris to Calais by bus, ferry to Dover, bus to London, stop over to visit family and then bus from London to holyhead then ferry to Dublin.

 Never once on those trips did I observe “old fashioned dress” what I saw was a beautiful people and beautiful countryside and I remembered thinking how unfortunate it would be to see these cultures destroyed.

I passed through Dublin recently and I had a tear in my eye as I witnessed what had happened to the place since I last passed through a decade or so ago.

funny how we can look at the same paintings yet see different pictures?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing, only around 60% turnout numbers I see, even in marginal seats, that is fucking low (again). 4 out of 10 just can not be arsed to vote and so do not care how they are governed.

Some politicians already talking of breaking withdrawal agreement open to "fix" Ni border.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LeoV said:

One thing, only around 60% turnout numbers I see, even in marginal seats, that is fucking low (again).

Over 80% TO some boxes Nth Belfast so Nigel Dodds leader of DUP in house maybe gone and in another Shinner who doesn't make the trip to London.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The. Pound is surging on the news of a Tory victory.

Seems investors are confident in the U.K. ‘s ability to thrive post EU And also, the dollar is surging against the euro, hmm jack, what could that possibly mean?

Do you ever tire of being wrong jack?

lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Some people didnt want to vote for Johnson but they refused to vote for Corbyn.

I remember IPL telling you the same thing 30 pages ago but you had a 20 paragraph rebuttal. 

I only got to the 6th paragraph so I cant claim to fully or partially understand what the rebuttal argument was , but if you look at the results coming in, some of the Tory victories in former Labor seats are because Labour centerist voters were voting for Brexit Party or Lib Dem. Conservative centerist voters were voting Conservative or Lib Dem.  Labor didnt win the remainers vote. The Tories did win the Leave Vote.   What was IPL's phrase ?  ABC. Anyone But Corbyn.

A socialist dominated Labour party in the UK is doomed.   Unless they regain the leadership of the aspirational New Labour, they will eventually be replaced by the Lib Dems , much as Labour replaced the Liberal party in the 1920s/30s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

The. Pound is surging on the news of a Tory victory.

 

still a moron I see...

 

Markets like certainty. For now they know that Brexit will go ahead it seems and they will try to profit on that. Then there will be the inevitable sell off and so on... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

I remember IPL telling you the same thing 30 pages ago but you had a 20 paragraph rebuttal. 

I only got to the 6th paragraph so I cant claim to fully or partially understand what the rebuttal argument was ,

That was something completely unrelated. Have since day one always said they had to change their leader....plus said it should have been Starmer 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

still a moron I see...

 

Markets like certainty. For now they know that Brexit will go ahead it seems and they will try to profit on that. Then there will be the inevitable sell off and so on... 

Lol

my goodness but you numpties are special.

Certainty of course but all the shite you collectively have been spewing for the last 3 odd years would have the average reader believe that the sky will fall if the Brits leave the EU but the markets are telling you gobshites that you are full of shite.

 

Trouble is, you lot are to dumb to see it.

 

lofl

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Former Ulster Unionist Party leader Mike Nesbitt in a BBC interview tonight- "The great irony of all of this is that for decades unionists have looked over their shoulders and decided that Irish nationalists were the great threat...but actually it’s English nationalism"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sea warrior said:

Lol

my goodness but you numpties are special.

Certainty of course but all the shite you collectively have been spewing for the last 3 odd years would have the average reader believe that the sky will fall if the Brits leave the EU but the markets are telling you gobshites that you are full of shite.

 

Trouble is, you lot are to dumb to see it.

 

lofl

 

They haven't left yet, arse wipe...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

I remember IPL telling you the same thing 30 pages ago but you had a 20 paragraph rebuttal. 

I only got to the 6th paragraph so I cant claim to fully or partially understand what the rebuttal argument was , but if you look at the results coming in, some of the Tory victories in former Labor seats are because Labour centerist voters were voting for Brexit Party or Lib Dem. Conservative centerist voters were voting Conservative or Lib Dem.  Labor didnt win the remainers vote. The Tories did win the Leave Vote.   What was IPL's phrase ?  ABC. Anyone But Corbyn.

A socialist dominated Labour party in the UK is doomed.   Unless they regain the leadership of the aspirational New Labour, they will eventually be replaced by the Lib Dems , much as Labour replaced the Liberal party in the 1920s/30s.

It was always going to be about ABC.

Then layer on top the hopeless out of touch campaign by Momentum (which reminded me of the worst aspects of the 2016 Democrat campaign)

No surprises so far.   Although even I will go quiet and reflective if the Tories win Bishops Auckland.

1031095255_ItsCorbyn.PNG.8dfa9bec35a76f25bdd620a4502ac919.PNG

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Former Ulster Unionist Party leader Mike Nesbitt in a BBC interview tonight- "The great irony of all of this is that for decades unionists have looked over their shoulders and decided that Irish nationalists were the great threat...but actually it’s English nationalism"

Bingo!

 

What a perceptive quote. 

 

To the Unionists, you might love her but she doesnt love you any more. You were too greedy and self centered at the wrong moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Labour supporters/candidates are now saying from the outset their biggest problem "door to door" was Corbyn ...so HQ had a pretty good feel this was going to happen early in the campaign ....yet ploughed on regardless. They can't blame Brexit, anything or anybody but themselves. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KC375 said:

Or Scotland

Not sure that there are that many English who are robust enough to migrate to Scotland, even the canny Scot's aint what they used to be in the days when my ancestors were pillaging the Highlands, Argyle and Morayshire (MacDonalds/Stewarts and Innes's)

Link to post
Share on other sites

At least something to look forward to for a laugh is their February Budget. It will bear absolutely no resemblance to the nonsence promoted during the campaign. 

Suddenly a plethora of Brexit related line items will appear, bizzarely NHS spend will appear as it was buried as a pre election promise and not counted etc.