ski season 2020

boat's winterized and shrink wrapped. now I can turn my attention to winter sports.  got my skis hot boxed, new helmet, new goggles this week.  Planned a 50th B-Day trip to Jay Peak in Feb.    Picked up the ICON pass and plan to go to Killington for Thanksgiving........

Picked up my season pass for Taos the other day. Already booked a heli trip to CMH Kootenays in Feb.

Gonna try and make some turns with BMiller, see if I can keep up in the trees.

22 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Picked up my season pass for Taos the other day. Already booked a heli trip to CMH Kootenays in Feb.

Gonna try and make some turns with BMiller, see if I can keep up in the trees.

Trees are dangerous. The key is to go as fast as possible to limit the duration of the risk.

I start Saturday.

• Like 2

The boat is winterized...jacket on board, socks for deck shoes, looking forward to the islands w/o the powerboaters.  Will see if my 73 year old knees that have no cartilage will survive another season...skiing the double green diamonds now...powder and trees just a sweet memory.  Going to try Whitefish this year.

4 hours ago, bmiller said:

Trees are dangerous. The key is to go as fast as possible to limit the duration of the risk.

I start Saturday.

The key is never look at the trees. If you look at the trees, you will hit the trees. Look at the spaces between the trees, and you will go between the trees. AND go as fast as possible.

• Like 2

still working on sorting out some power supply options on the RV. gonna try and hit as many Ikon and Epic pass served hills as I can this winter. planning on a visit with Mr Miller. Have to stop and pick up some skis and boots n' shit from the condo I sold to a buddy last March. did get a new pair of boards over the summer.. hoping to get to Mammoth, Tahoe area, Whistler Lake Louise, Revelstoke, Big Sky, Jackson, SLC area, not necessarily in that order, but something like that ... will probably finish out Feb and March working over CO as best I can before heading back east to sell my house.

6 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

still working on sorting out some power supply options on the RV. gonna try and hit as many Ikon and Epic pass served hills as I can this winter. planning on a visit with Mr Miller. Have to stop and pick up some skis and boots n' shit from the condo I sold to a buddy last March. did get a new pair of boards over the summer.. hoping to get to Mammoth, Tahoe area, Whistler Lake Louise, Revelstoke, Big Sky, Jackson, SLC area, not necessarily in that order, but something like that ... will probably finish out Feb and March working over CO as best I can before heading back east to sell my house.

When you get to the SLC/Park City area message me if you want to try out some Augment skis. We have 77 and 88 all-mountains in our demo fleet this year and we'll have 98 and 108s by time you get here, as well as a 91 twin tip ski.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Streetwise said:

I got my first season pass in a while, to Bolton Valley. 15 minutes away, with night skiing until 22:00 several days a week. I'm looking forward to it!

I used to ski Bolton a lot, though mostly their Nordic trails.

Day 1 at Copper. Doesn't suck at all for early season. Mtn is crawling with every level of racer and the que at the bottom is packed.

Othere than that a few turns then a cup of coffee and all is well.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 1:13 PM, mikewof said:

Anyone hut ski here?

did the hut tours from Vail thru Camp Hale and up to Aspen a few times late 80s early 90s but not in a long while.

one group I went with would snowmobile in these outrages dinners.

9 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

did the hut tours from Vail thru Camp Hale and up to Aspen a few times late 80s early 90s but not in a long while.

one group I went with would snowmobile in these outrages dinners.

Did you or anyone on the tour use a pulk?

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Did you or anyone on the tour use a pulk?

the guides pulled a sled with gear on it. we carried backpacks and our dailiy H2O ration.

another trip used a skidoo to pull a gear sled.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple friends and I could make it. On the commute home for us.. More or less.

What's up with the High Coast sled of yours? Looks handy for Peter Rabbit and Boris  and 2nd Creek and just about every ski parking lot party you can think of.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Fisher said:

A couple friends and I could make it. On the commute home for us.. More or less.

What's up with the High Coast sled of yours? Looks handy for Peter Rabbit and Boris  and 2nd Creek and just about every ski parking lot party you can think of.  

Sweet! Anarchy at Cannonball Creek? The little folding gear sleds started as a favor for backcountry skiing friends who needed a lightweight pulk for hut trips. We originally just modified the folding Opti boats. But they kept getting lighter, finally became their own thing.

My favorite is the little one, I'm not a hut trip guy, but I like the little one for a quick day trip ... a case of beer, portable grill.

One new thing I noticed with the serious hut trip folks, where weight is an issue and they try to keep their pack-out light ... they buy full strength beer and then cut it with about 50% snow/ice melt. So they can sled in just 24 cans of 7.5 ABV beer in the 24 ounce cans, and use ice melt to extend their beer ration to the equivalent of 96 cans of 12 ounce 3.8 ABV beer.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

One new thing I noticed with the serious hut trip folks, where weight is an issue and they try to keep their pack-out light ... they buy full strength beer and then cut it with about 50% snow/ice melt. So they can sled in just 24 cans of 7.5 ABV beer in the 24 ounce cans, and use ice melt to extend their beer ration to the equivalent of 96 cans of 12 ounce 3.8 ABV beer.

I've never known anyone to do such foolishness. Just bring a bottle, or handle, of your preferred spirit.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, bmiller said:

I've never known anyone to do such foolishness. Just bring a bottle, or handle, of your preferred spirit.

I'm learning the wisdom behind it as I get older. I'm starting to see how much easier it is on the body to drink beer rather than distilled spirits, because you get a little bit of food along with the alcohol ... a sandwich in every beer is a good thing when you have little interest in eating food. Just having that grain in my system helps a bit. A lifetime of drinking and now I'm right back to where I was when I was eleven or so, in awe of the majestic simplicity of beer.

9 hours ago, bmiller said:

Never saw beer on a portaledge either. 

Hennessy VSOP,  yeah. Crown Royal, yeah. Royal Salute, yeah. Never a beer. 

I know a few kids hauled beer in their pigs, not us.

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Never saw beer on a portaledge either. 

Hennessy VSOP,  yeah. Crown Royal, yeah. Royal Salute, yeah. Never a beer. 

I know a few kids hauled beer in their pigs, not us.

In a portaledge? Climbing? We were talking about hut trips, no?

Beer and hut trips go together like tailgating and college football. Maybe the older folks bring spirits, but the younger ones, they bring beer. I don't even see most of them drink spirits. The bars in my town are struggling for business, but the breweries are usually jammed. It's a generational thing I guess.

I'm Gen-X though, we don't discriminate against any kind of alcohol.

Y'all should be glad you missed that fundraiser. Most of it went well, I can only assume that people are sending in their donations, super friendly people, we gave away a bunch of Hut Sleds to the kids. But I nearly went fisticuffs with this guy who got shouty and angry at me that I felt people should avoid extreme avalanche conditions.

From the time I was a wee lad in Colorado, I always had this bizarre, implicit understanding that first responders don't actually enjoy poking and digging around through cement snow for people who were caught by avalanches. They'll do it, but it's not exactly pleasant work for them to dig up people who are nearly dead, or people who are frozen into human-sized ice cubes. I made the mistake of saying that we should probably avoid extreme probability avalanche zones, and that we should probably not do winter sports in the extreme zones until the threat is mitigated.

This guys loses the plot, tells me that people should be out in the extreme probability avalanche zones because I guess, that's what their inner Red Bull commercial wants them to do.

I guess I'm okay with that, if someone wants to put themselves in a position where they can be buried by a mountainside worth of ice, rocks, trees and snow, then so be it. But I suggest that such people should carry an anti-rescue beacon. If they can caught in an avalanche even after ignoring plastic fencing, repeated warnings, several signs, every snowpack indication of unstable slabs, then their little anti-rescue beacon should illuminate the first responders with the message "the person buried under all that debris doesn't care about the safety of the people who have come to rescue him or her, so you First Responders now have the anti-rescue beacon confirmation that you can go home, have a beer and relax, you don't need to rescue that person under all that snow, because he or she values her or his own life so little, that you don't need to value it either.

Off and running out here. Inbounds conditions are really good, however venturing out is dangerous. A lot of snow in a short time on a fragile pack. 

First avy death of the season happened last week. Condolences to the family.

12 hours ago, bmiller said:

Off and running out here. Inbounds conditions are really good, however venturing out is dangerous. A lot of snow in a short time on a fragile pack. 

First avy death of the season happened last week. Condolences to the family.

Where was it?

16 hours ago, bmiller said:

Cameron pass.

CAIC report

Another one today in UT.

When I looked at that slope, I wouldn't have thought the situation to be so dangerous, it's easy to forget how stealth some of these conditions can be. But I would have trusted the orange-red on the CAIC app on my phone telling to avoid.

I guess it's just us old guys and gals now who look at those conditions, and then avoid that area. These newer kids, they buy the inflatable neck balloons, the beacon and the rescue gear and then knowingly and willingly trek into unstable conditions. In that case, the group was well-prepared, they had the rescue gear, the probe, the shovels, I guess a beacon. But even so, human bodies don't tend to do well with being buried in snow. At some point, we need to avoid certain areas, the way you give a moose a wide-berth and don't run up to the animal trying to recreate a Red Bull commercial.

I did a lot of back-country and chute skiing and even launched off my share of cliffs until I was 36 when my daughter was born. That changed my perspective a bit on risk/reward ratios. It also got me started on rethinking what was fun. I've done a lot more offshore sailing since then. And while the weather can be just as gnarly out on the ocean, I developed a sense of trust for certain boats and a few different groups of people that I am willing to put myself in that position with. I still ski a lot, and I like to ski powder and soft groomers, tend to stay away from really hard surfaces as the chatter lights my knees up. Haven't skied in the east in a long time. I also developed a fondness for downloading at the end of my day just to avoid the idiots in crowded base areas. I'm hoping I've got a couple years left with the knees that came as standard equipment :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Shaping up nicely here in the Rockies. Got my best turns of the season yesterday out on tucker just before we opened it up to public.  Not crazy about the new lift but that's life. Wasn't that long ago there weren't any lifts anywhere. 

3 year old grand daughter took first turns (not really turns yet) at Echo Mountain just west of Denver. Apparently adequate for beginners and don't have to deal with the I70 rubbish.

Time to dust off my gear, get my sorry ass out to Colorado and teach her bad habits.

Grand sons, ages 11 and 9 left me in the dust long ago. Both on the Mad River Glen Free Ski team and disappear into the woods or down crazy nontrails that ain't worth the risk for these old bones and spiffy new titanium shoulder.

• 4 weeks later...

How about a sneak peak at our next year's graphics.  These are our All-Mountain 77, All-Mountain 88, and All-Mountain 98 from the ISPO show in Munich.  

AMs_ISPO2020B.jpeg

Nice looking skis. Why don't you bring some down to Taos and we'll give 'em a spin. :)

I'll be up there most of the next several weeks.

19 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Nice looking skis. Why don't you bring some down to Taos and we'll give 'em a spin. :)

I'll be up there most of the next several weeks.

We'll get to work on it. We need a Rep to cover that area and a few others.  

1 hour ago, WCB said:

We'll get to work on it. We need a Rep to cover that area and a few others.  

The head of adult skiing takes care of my home and lives on site. Knows everyone.

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

The snow has sucked here. We've had one really good snow but even that was heavy, wet crap.

That's no fun...it's been a tough year. The Northeast had that major thaw and most are still using their rock skis.

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

The head of adult skiing takes care of my home and lives on site. Knows everyone.

I'd welcome the chance to have them try our skis.  Our skis are a skier's ski, similar to a Stockli or Kastle.

1 hour ago, WCB said:

That's no fun...it's been a tough year. The Northeast had that major thaw and most are still using their rock skis.

They can keep up with man made snow, and we've had snow pretty much every day...followed by drizzle. Just garbage. I'll only ski. Snowboarding = no float/no fun.

I like them both but skis work better in these icy conditions. Even that's not much fun. More skidding than carving. At least they don't chatter like they used to.

finally got the RV up into Utah. had a couple really nice weeks in Vail mid January. went down to Sedona for a visit with some friends. One mellow  day at Deer Valley and two screamers up in Alta. Hittin Solitude and Brighton over the next few days before sliding up to Jackson.

• Like 1
On 1/29/2020 at 9:58 AM, WCB said:

How about a sneak peak at our next year's graphics.  These are our All-Mountain 77, All-Mountain 88, and All-Mountain 98 from the ISPO show in Munich.  

AMs_ISPO2020B.jpeg

I looked around the website, it looks like you choose 1 to 10 stiffness for each ski as well as length.

Do you manufacture mostly the common flexes and custom build the more extreme soft and stiff skis? Or do you keep 10 different flex of each model on hand?

What a shit bust of a season so far for me. Warm and no snow is fucking depressing 

I don’t even have the urge with this weather. I’m gonna force myself to take a day off on Thursday and drive north in search of snow. 

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

I looked around the website, it looks like you choose 1 to 10 stiffness for each ski as well as length.

Do you manufacture mostly the common flexes and custom build the more extreme soft and stiff skis? Or do you keep 10 different flex of each model on hand?

We've modified the flex choices, especially for the all-mountain and carving skis, away from the 1-10 flex selection.  It's too much to choose from for skiers and too much to stock for retailers and ourselves.  We've changed to Soft/Medium/Stiff now for those but left the race skis alone with their 1-10 as dialing in your flex is helpful for racers. Austria has joined us in the effort and started to change to the three selection mode for most skis, however, you can always ask for a specific number.  We noticed that the skis in soft are still as much or more than enough ski for most any skier.  I doubt that we'll sell any stiff skis.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, WCB said:

We've modified the flex choices, especially for the all-mountain and carving skis, away from the 1-10 flex selection.  It's too much to choose from for skiers and too much to stock for retailers and ourselves.  We've changed to Soft/Medium/Stiff now for those but left the race skis alone with their 1-10 as dialing in your flex is helpful for racers. Austria has joined us in the effort and started to change to the three selection mode for most skis, however, you can always ask for a specific number.  We noticed that the skis in soft are still as much or more than enough ski for most any skier.  I doubt that we'll sell any stiff skis.

That makes more sense, I couldn't imagine trying to stock that many skis.

It also appears you primarily cater to racers and have entered the recreational and off piste market.

6 hours ago, bmiller said:

That makes more sense, I couldn't imagine trying to stock that many skis.

It also appears you primarily cater to racers and have entered the recreational and off piste market.

I'm in your back yard...kinda.  I'm at Winter Park for the big industry on-snow demo.  Should be an interesting couple of days.  

The company started off in the race world and that's where most of the staff in Austria prefer but I'm more interested in the all-mountain and carving categories.  The skis perform awfully well and that is a result of that race pedigree but we're getting the wider skis that we need here in North America to sell better.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:42 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

finally got the RV up into Utah. had a couple really nice weeks in Vail mid January. went down to Sedona for a visit with some friends. One mellow  day at Deer Valley and two screamers up in Alta. Hittin Solitude and Brighton over the next few days before sliding up to Jackson.

Solitude was fun. Hadn't skied there in 30+ years. a bit has changed ...

today my gf and I hung out with some Cruising Club of America sailors at Park City and got in a few runs.

Going up to Snowbasin in the morning.

8 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

today my gf and I hung out with some Cruising Club of America sailors at Park City and got in a few runs.

Did this latest storm do much out there?

5 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Did this latest storm do much out there?

in localized areas. and more snow in places where ski areas aint. apparently Powder Mt and Snowbasin were the biggest recipients..

Joey had her first runs two winters ago at 2 years old.  She got two in but mostly was scared. Last year she did great, two days, 4 hours of lessons each.  We're headed to stratton next week for round 3.  

14 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Joey had her first runs two winters ago at 2 years old.  She got two in but mostly was scared. Last year she did great, two days, 4 hours of lessons each.  We're headed to stratton next week for round 3.  

Keep it up Clean. My daughter did the same at a similar age and now at 29 is back-country skiing and having a blast. Unfortunately I can no longer keep up with her.  

14 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

Keep it up Clean. My daughter did the same at a similar age and now at 29 is back-country skiing and having a blast. Unfortunately I can no longer keep up with her.  

I had my first runs at five on Ski Windham in upstate NY, and was patrolling at Eldora in Colorado 17 years later.   I'm certain my bones will not take what she can throw at them in a few years.  Fortunately she's got a couple of older cousins who are already pushing hard down the double black bump runs at 13. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Nice  powder day at Taos. Think I'll stick around, do it again tamale.

Damn, busy with dad and a retirement party or I'd be there in the morning. Not that those are bad things to be doing, but damn.

Snowbasin skied very well today. They got a few inches overnight and as cold as it was today it held up very well. lots of freshies to be found all over the hill.

12 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Snowbasin skied very well today. They got a few inches overnight and as cold as it was today it held up very well. lots of freshies to be found all over the hill.

I'll be there on Monday for the next industry demo, off to Mammoth on Monday afternoon.  Crazy time of year.  I'm recovering from the drive back from Winter Park to Park City last night. Deer, Elk and snow on the road.  White knuckling it.  Winter Park got 3-4" of fresh yesterday but more on the way this week, same as Utah.

Our demo event went really well.  We signed new retailers for Colorado and we were told that our skis were the best skis at the entire demo by somebody who tests every single pair of skis from every manufacturer.  We were floored.  It gives us the confidence that we have great skis that retailers will want to sell and skiers will enjoy owning. This guy asked to own the next pair of All-Mountain 98s that we bring into the country.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:30 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

Should have PM'd me.  I could have hooked you up with some sailors from Park City Sailing who could have shown you around Park City/Canyons/Deer Valley.   More snow for us tomorrow!

On 2/5/2020 at 9:47 AM, WCB said:

Should have PM'd me.  I could have hooked you up with some sailors from Park City Sailing who could have shown you around Park City/Canyons/Deer Valley.   More snow for us tomorrow!

Thanks, was skiing with my gf, and a collection of sailors from the CCA some of whom live in Alta the rest were from Annapolis. we snuck off from the group a couple days to wander around on our own. I icame back to Vail valley last night in my rv.. she is going up to Big Sky with some of the Annapolis folks.. I was trying to ski Vail today but 70 was all fucked up. bailed into Beaver Creek and had about the best day there I can remember.. it was nuking all day... I couldn't see shit, but the snow was so deep and soft ya just point em down and go. the Birds of Prey runs were unbelievable. it's been years since I've skied those. clocked about 25K of vert today... almost a Talon Challenge but not quite

9 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Thanks, was skiing with my gf, and a collection of sailors from the CCA some of whom live in Alta the rest were from Annapolis. we snuck off from the group a couple days to wander around on our own. I icame back to Vail valley last night in my rv.. she is going up to Big Sky with some of the Annapolis folks.. I was trying to ski Vail today but 70 was all fucked up. bailed into Beaver Creek and had about the best day there I can remember.. it was nuking all day... I couldn't see shit, but the snow was so deep and soft ya just point em down and go. the Birds of Prey runs were unbelievable. it's been years since I've skied those. clocked about 25K of vert today... almost a Talon Challenge but not quite

That sounds like a fun trip. It's still dumping here in Park City. What was a good but a bit lackluster in the snow department is turning around nicely.

17 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I think 70 has been closed for most of the last couple days along with 285 the usual alternate. Gonna be mayhem tomorrow. I'll be working otherwise I wouldn't be any where near Summit county.

4 hours ago, bmiller said:

I think 70 has been closed for most of the last couple days along with 285 the usual alternate. Gonna be mayhem tomorrow. I'll be working otherwise I wouldn't be any where near Summit county.

Saw 44 miles from Golden to the tunnel was closed...crazy. We had Big and Little Cottonwood canyons closed, the former due to a bus getting stuck the latter due to an avalanche over the road ten feet deep.

This is the year for west coast skiing...not so much for east coast. 
but if anyone wants to do a few turns with me I’ll be at Jay Peak feb27-March 1 to celebrate my birthday. The more the merrier :P

Mr Miller, have to get back east for a couple weeks to start gettin a house ready for market and gf is gettin a new puppy... should be rolling back into Vail around the 25th or so.. we'd love to pop over to Copper and make some runs with you again if you swing it...

4 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Mr Miller, have to get back east for a couple weeks to start gettin a house ready for market and gf is gettin a new puppy... should be rolling back into Vail around the 25th or so.. we'd love to pop over to Copper and make some runs with you again if you swing it...

That would be great. Pretty sure I'm wide open until the 29th when my grandson is coming up.

• Like 1

FINALLY getting out to Copper. Kids and grand kids are hoping to rip up your beloved mountain. I'm till caring for my spiffy new titanium shoulder and don't want to risk what would be a very expensive crash. I'll just be hanging around and paying for crap Skiing 3/5-3/7. Staying in Copper. Thinking 1 day Copper,  1 day A Basin and last day Loveland on the way back. But flexible.

Son has New England narrower downhill and Tele skis and is not bringing them out. Is planning to rent sticks from Christy upon arrival out there for hopefully powder runs. Any skis you prefer?

1 hour ago, redboat said:

FINALLY getting out to Copper. Kids and grand kids are hoping to rip up your beloved mountain. I'm till caring for my spiffy new titanium shoulder and don't want to risk what would be a very expensive crash. I'll just be hanging around and paying for crap Skiing 3/5-3/7. Staying in Copper. Thinking 1 day Copper,  1 day A Basin and last day Loveland on the way back. But flexible.

Son has New England narrower downhill and Tele skis and is not bringing them out. Is planning to rent sticks from Christy upon arrival out there for hopefully powder runs. Any skis you prefer?

Pretty much any ski he rents, based on the info he gives the shop, is going to be fine for a couple days. What day will you be at copper? If I'm around we should meet up for some turns and or a beer.

Vail is a huge mountain. Get up early and stay up or in one of the bowls. If someone spends 3 hours in line it's their own fault.

the only lift they had workin out of the back was #5. They screwed up by opening up too many gates into into too little terrain in  the back.

13 hours ago, bmiller said:

That would be great. Pretty sure I'm wide open until the 29th when my grandson is coming up.

I'll give you a call when we get back out here!

23 hours ago, bmiller said:

Pretty much any ski he rents, based on the info he gives the shop, is going to be fine for a couple days. What day will you be at copper? If I'm around we should meet up for some turns and or a beer.

Obvious and sensible ski selection thought.

Overnighting 3/5 and 3/6 at Village Square. Skiing 3/5, 3/6 and 3/7. The more I look at the options, Loveland looks less and less appealing on the way back 3/7.

Son and his kids love glade skiing (Mad River Glen is their regular haunt) so that's what hey will probably seek,

On 2/10/2020 at 7:33 AM, redboat said:

Obvious and sensible ski selection thought.

Overnighting 3/5 and 3/6 at Village Square. Skiing 3/5, 3/6 and 3/7. The more I look at the options, Loveland looks less and less appealing on the way back 3/7.

Son and his kids love glade skiing (Mad River Glen is their regular haunt) so that's what hey will probably seek,

Have they been out here before?

Our glade skiing is likely to be very different from what they are used to. I'm sure they know this but be very aware when tree skiing in the rocky mountains. Tree wells can be a real danger, always ski with a partner and keep an eye on the kids. Also, not to preach, but allow some time to acclimate. Take it easy the first day or so and drink plenty of fluids.

Coming from the east they should really enjoy skiing at 12K.

Oh and there will be snowboarders, lots of them, unlike MRG.

Shoot me a message when you get up here. Hopefully I can make it over.

Have they been out here before?

Our glade skiing is likely to be very different from what they are used to. I'm sure they know this but be very aware when tree skiing in the rocky mountains. Tree wells can be a real danger, always ski with a partner and keep an eye on the kids. Also, not to preach, but allow some time to acclimate. Take it easy the first day or so and drink plenty of fluids.

Coming from the east they should really enjoy skiing at 12K.

Oh and there will be snowboarders, lots of them, unlike MRG.

Shoot me a message when you get up here. Hopefully I can make it over.

Thanks. Will sen you a message.

They were all out biking and hiking out of Dillon and Glenwood Springs last year  but 9000 ft is different than 11,000 at Copper.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:31 AM, Raptorsailor said:

Look up photos of queues in Vail. Glad I don't live in the USA sometimes. Heard from people there's 3+ hour waits this weekend.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:19 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

the only lift they had workin out of the back was #5. They screwed up by opening up too many gates into into too little terrain in  the back.

Wow, I finally saw the photos and Vail's damage control response. Screw that.

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/vail-mountain-coo-beth-howard-offers-apology-context-on-massive-lift-lines/

My first trip to Taos was early 90s, September so decided to do a trail hike across from the condo - 4 miles, 4,000 ft. I left midday thinking how hard could it be?  That last mile was damn hard, was about 12,000 at the top.  Going down was much easier and had to jog to get back before dark.   I will never forget soaking my burning feet in the ice cold river. good times. My date made sure everything we did the next few days had lots of steps involved. 

edit:years later when started skiing there my bud and I were chatting with a friend who is a long time instructor there and asked about skiing the ridge. Her answer? You can ski it but you can't hike it. ouch.  elevation matters. 

18" yesterday, nother 10" today. Gonna ski tamale. Taos is just fine. Spent the afternoon with the house guide. Solid fun. Leave Thursday for a week of helicopter in the Kootenays.

Starting  to like this "skiing" stuff.

• Like 1

Did 25,000 vertical feet of powder yesterday, 18,000 vertical feet today. Tomorrow last day for this trip, but just wow. CMH just  doesn't  disappoint. Butternut squash soup, tenderloins and mango sorbet for dinner.

Yeah, this is a sufferfest.

fuck that shithole..................NY city /NJ families who cant ski, cant get off a chairlift properly, can;t drive ....the Northeast Kingdom is where its at...plus 8-10 inches of snow tomorrow thru Saturday

• Like 1