Buying rigging-quality low diameter dyneema?

Rigging small boats, in some cases needing high tensions, and always needing low-to-no-creep... it's damn hard to find 2.5/3mm dyneema that is pre-stretched and heat-set. 

Examples: 3mm STS Ocean 5000, D12 Max Dyneema Grand Prix, DM20.

Landfall carries D12 Max - https://www.landfallnavigation.com/marlow-d-12-max-2-5mm-black.html - but that's the only source I know of.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 9:02 PM, martin.langhoff said:

Rigging small boats, in some cases needing high tensions, and always needing low-to-no-creep... it's damn hard to find 2.5/3mm dyneema that is pre-stretched and heat-set. 

Landfall carries D12 Max - https://www.landfallnavigation.com/marlow-d-12-max-2-5mm-black.html - but that's the only source I know of.

Any suggestions?

How much do you need?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 1:02 PM, martin.langhoff said:

Any suggestions?

there comes a point when line is too small.. 3mm is getting there.

At that diameter on a dinghy, it doesn't really matter if its 'rigging quality' - it'll have oodles of strength.

Agreed on strength.

To be clear this isn't for control lines. It's literally for rigging. Also, rigging quality means no/minimal stretch and creep.

My uses: rigging a Weta, UFO and Whisper 18ft cat. The 2.5mm line is perfect for it. Some uses might warrant 3mm. 

7 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

Agreed on strength.

To be clear this isn't for control lines. It's literally for rigging. Also, rigging quality means no/minimal stretch and creep.

My uses: rigging a Weta, UFO and Whisper 18ft cat. The 2.5mm line is perfect for it. Some uses might warrant 3mm. 

"Rigging" could mean many things. Are you using it for lashings, stays, deflector strops, pennants? This will affect what you buy.

The Dyneema itself all comes from one place (DSM), but the way it is processed from fibre to rope can differ. The best option for what you're looking for, of the brands I'm familiar with is Marlow D12 99MAX, (Goes down to 2.5mm) and their Kiteline Freestyle has several diameter options available (SK99, unsure if it's heat-set).

HW

On 12/7/2019 at 7:52 AM, martin.langhoff said:

Agreed on strength.

You probably want to use the D12 Max 99 for that application, as its ~15% lower stretch than the Max 78. Max in Marlow terms means heatset.

https://www.stagelightingstore.com/marlow-d12-max-99/840831-marlow-d12-max-99-event-rigging-rope-diameter-3mm-length-100m

For standard running rigging and trapeze lines I've had good luck with Roblines Ocean 3000XG.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...